IWRG (THU) 08/12 Arena Naucalpan [Estrellas del Ring, Black Terry Jr. (flickr)]
1) Guerrero 2000 b Tonatiuh
2) Dinamic Black & Super Halcon Jr. b Carta Brava Jr. & Nemesis
3) Comando Negro, Imposible, Magia Negra b Chico Che, Eragon, Miss Gaviota
4) Christina Von Eerie & Sexy Star b Fabi Apache & Mari Apache
5) Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro, Oficial Marshal b Alex Koslov, El Hijo del Diablo, Gringo Loco, Nosawa
As Estrellas del Ring puts it, Oficials > The World. Avisman showed up wearing a neckbrace, and Nosawa just happened to be around to replace him. Hmmm. Oficials took the first, Team World took fall two, and Diablo accidentally hit Gringo Loco to set up the Oficials win. Fiero gave Avisman a martinete after the match for good measure.
Rudas took the semimain when Fabi and the IWRG ref had issues.
Press conference notes:
- Finally understand what’s going on with the NWA belts (I think!). The current belts are going in CMLL’s museum, and Texano, Averno, and Mephisto are now CMLL Historic Light Heavyweight Championship, Middleweight, Welterweights. Texano was not at the press conference, but they showed all the old belts and handed Averno & Mephisto their new belts. New title belts mean they’re not getting rid of these championships any time soon, despite the clunky name.
For title history purposes, I believe this counts as the end of the NWA reign and starting a new reign with the new championship. I’m holding off until Ras de Lona in case they have a different explanation.
Related: Cronicas Y Leyendas has a post on the new NWA Middleweight Championship belt of 1974, the same belt retired yesterday.
- Ovaciones says we’ll hear the 09/03, 09/07 (Tuesday) and 09/17 cards in upcoming days. What we know now is they’re trying to have a run of major shows in September instead of just the anniversary show.
- All the rudos wants to unmask Mistico. It’s good to have dreams.
- Cesar looks at the chances of each guy to make it to the end.
In hyping up tonight’s title match, Vampiro accuses Wagner of being arrogant and a deceiver. Check and double check there. For what it’s worth, I’m not planning to do a proper chat for this show on Saturday because AAA hasn’t been consistently posting live results lately, and no one seems to care about this card.
Lucha Libre USA is taping 09/09 at Whataburger Field in Corpus Christi. That’s a 8,000 seat baseball stadium if they put all the chairs on the field. Tickets run from $5 (kids) to $30 (ringside), which is lower than usual and hopefully will fill up the building. Those tickets are on sale today.
In addition to the Marco trios match, Lucha Libre USA says the Amazing Kong/Mini Park vs Chi Chi/Tigresa match will air, so they’re not going as strictly in order with this taping as the last couple. Not sure what the third match will be.
Kaoma Jr. & CMLL’s Rey Cometa, who’ve been feuding in Queretaro before either of them were in AAA, are supposed to have a mask match this September in Matamoros. The post is low on details.
Sexi Star and Cibernetico will appear in “Un Romeo Muy Julieta”, a political parody based of the Shakespeare play. I think we need video of this.
AAA changed the article about the AAA TV taping in Arena Naucalpan from 1994 to 1996. Still not sure if it’s right.
Women of Wrestling Podcast #12 has an interview with Rain, talking about her time in AAA among other promotions.
Ohtani’s Jacket writes about a little known trios match which was arguable one of Hijo del Santo’s best in AAA.
LuchaWorld Monthly is back for July. Do not miss the story of Super Porky’s weight loss!