CMLL (TUE) 08/15/2017 Arena México [CMLl, CultIcon]
1) Apocalipsis & Inquisidor b Fiero & Retro
Rudos took 1/3
2) Canelo Casas, Nitro, Sangre Azteca b Metatrón, Oro Jr., Star Jr.
rudos took 2/3. Metatron first match here since Spring.
3) Guerrero Maya Jr., Johnny Idol, Rey Cometa b Misterioso Jr., Sagrado, Virus
tecnicos took 1/3
4) Drone b Puma [lightning]
Drone won with a quebrada in 7:45
5) Blue Panther, Carístico, Titán b Luciferno, Mr. Niebla, Pierroth
tecnicos took 2/3
6) Cavernario, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero b Mistico, Rush, Valiente
rudos took straight falls. UG unmasked Mistico and pinned him to win the second fall. They agreed to a singles match next week.
Drone and Puma looks pretty good.
Mistico wore a Los Ingobernables jersey, which started another round of “is [X] going to be the third Ingobernable?” It would definitely mean that in another promotion. In CMLL, people just wear shirts and gear of other units for the sake of doing it and it very rarely means anything. Maybe this is the one exception but I wouldn’t count on it.
Rush, Pierroth and Vangellys accused of assault
A violent incident involving Rush, Pierroth and Vangellys two years ago was revealed in the press yesterday. The family of Adrian Enrique Lopez says he was beaten badly by the three wrestlers early in the morning on July 22, 2015 and now is confined to life in a wheel chair. He tried to intervene after they were harassing women and attacking a security guard. The luchadors say both the security guard and Enrique Lopez attacked them by throwing rocks and they were defending themselves. The story appears on the Mural website and appeared on the cover of the Guadalajara version of the Metro newspaper yesterday. La Sombra was also with the three, but he was not charged by the police and does not appear involved, but he’s mentioned in the article the same. The article does not talk to the luchadors at all (and they’re privately claiming there’s video evidence that proves their story is correct.)
The family is looking for money for Enrique Lopez and some sort of punishment for being attacked. The wrestlers apparently were required to put down a deposit to pay Enrique Lopez, but that money never go to the family and that’s why they’re taking this public.
MedioTiempo points out this incident the night after Sombra and Rush got into a fight with fans in Arena Coliseo Guadalajara and were suspended for a few weeks. SuperLuchas said they had heard rumors of this incident for a while, though those rumors were even more severe (that someone had died) and had been trying to confirm it. Rush now has a history of incidents, previously having trouble with a security guard and SuperLuchas’ article completely believes the victim’s story (and then throws in more accusation of other crimes at the end.) I would just point out the original article appears completely written from one side; it’s likely the luchadors wouldn’t have commented anyway, but there’s no indication they were given that opportunity.
Still, even in the most favorable version of the story, the wrestlers did break one guy’s nose and left another in a wheelchair and it does not appear they paid any real price for it. This is a two year old incident, so if CMLL was going to do anything about it, they probably would’ve already. It’ll just be a wait and see if this is one of the many stories that just fades away, or if the article stirs up some legal interest to do something about it.
Niebla Roja vs Gran Guerrero and Zeuxis vs Princesa Sugehit are the CMLL Anniversary matches
CMLL’s press conference today announced those two matches for 09/16, having them both sign contracts for the big show show next month. CMLL additionally said both the 09/01 Gran Prix and the 09/16 Anniversario would be PPV – which I take to mean iPPVs – and would air live. No price was announced.
Diamante Azul & Rush were part of the press conference as part of a Gran Prix presentation, but no match with them was announced.
CMLL also announced Flip Gordon of Ring of Honor would debut on the 09/16 show. Flip had appeared in the March & May The Crash shows in Tijuana. It’s possible this came about because of CMLL’s instance that ROH wrestlers stop working for The Crash; at least CMLL is booking them.
Strangely, CMLL didn’t livestream this as they had others, and will instead put it up as part of Informa later.
AAA & TripleMania plans & US TV
Leo Riano said some stuff. Some of it may come true, but it’s Leo Riano and it’s AAA so plans could change at any moment and it’s not really official until someone in AAA publicly confirms it. Here’s what he’s got:
- they are planning for Psycho & Wagner and possibly other matches to air LIVE on Televisa Canal 5 after the Mayweather/McGregor fight. The fight is expected to be done by 11pm (though it’s a fight so it could be done much earlier.) It sounds like AAA people hinted Copa TripleMania will air as well elsewhere, but Riano says he doesn’t know what will air beyond the mask match. In past years, AAA sticks to card order (which would mean Pagano/Psycho aired.)
- AAA & Twitch are nearing a deal (which Riano makes sure to note is not actually done) where AAA would air on the streaming video platform for free. The platform has recently started opening up it’s broadcasts from only video game streaming, and Austin, Texas based WrestleCircus used it to stream it’s last couple events.
- TripleMania will also eventually air on UTDN in Mexico
- …and eventually in the US. Riano says “Univision”, which I find tremendously hard to believe even while not totally believing the rest. Something like the US version of UTDN makes more sense. Riano says this will begin regular airings of AAA in the US.
That last one has some dominoes to. AAA has been unable to get it’s show in the US because first Galavision didn’t want to air it any longer, and then because they appeared to sell exclusive rights to the market to Lucha Underground as part of getting it going. There’s more options in the Univision family now so it makes sense someone would want to take the show on, but the LU block should still be there. This might be a worrisome about the future of Lucha Underground, or it might be another instance of what were once the rules about what was allowed with Lucha Underground are changing. (It also might just be nothing if Riano is wrong.)
It looks like TripleMania will air in Japan on September 15, and the CMLL Anniversary show on September 30, both on Samurai TV.
Lucha Underground has episode 3×31 tonight, “The Cup Runneth Over”. There are 10 episodes left. The matches
- Pentagon Dark vs Mil Muertes in a Cueto Cup semifinal
- Fenix vs Prince Puma in the other Cueto Cup semifinal
The preview says Rey Mysterio & Johnny Mundo have a confrontation (before their title match next week) and Catrina sets her sights on Cage’s gauntlet (following the bit at the end of last week’s show.)
Pro Wrestling Sheet announced Bael/B-Boy has gotten his release from Lucah Underground. Bael was killed off during season one but says he was still under the same initial seven year contract as anyone. LU has reused some characters who were killed off in early seasons under different roles, and he wrestled dark matches in Season 2 with a pirate character, but did not appear to be around in Season 3. I had been assuming that anyone not used for an entire season were no longer under contract, but that’s apparently not the case (and so guys like Super Fly and Delavar Davarai probably still are under a deal.) The Pro Wrestling Sheet article makes it sound like it was a no hassle situation to get out of the contract, so maybe it’s just a technicality for the people who aren’t being used but I didn’t realize how that worked.
There’s only 10 episodes left. I still think they’re not going to get renewed until after the season is over, but I’d like to be proven wrong on that.
AAA says the announcement of the La Llave A La Gloria winners will be tomorrow instead. Weirdly, Record back on Saturday said it was coming out Thursday, and then went back and deleted the tweet when everyone else was saying Wednesday. Maybe something got crossed up.
The Crash announced a lot of things for their 09/02 Tijuana show. It’s now listed as being taped for Impact Wrestling/GFW. I assumed it will eventually air as one of their PPV specials, but they hype it as a TV show for what it’s worth. Oraculo and Black Danger will have their mask match on this show and the main event will be Carlito & Daga vs Garza Jr. & Maximo vs Maximo & Rey Escorpion match. It’s supposed to be an incredible partners match, but it looks on paper like five rudos (Carlito’s been a rudo when he’s been used here in the past) and one Daga. Maybe they’ll do something to get the Inogber Indies and Rebellion Yellow feuding too.
WON mentioned a little while back that Alberto and The Crash had stopped working together. Last time, Alberto was in The Crash, he set up a thing with Carlito. I wonder if Alberto was meant to be working this show and that’s why they had Carlito booked, and then they had a falling out but still had Carlito.
Raijin worked the Hip Hop Man show this weekend. There were a lot of foreigners on that show so he could just wanted to work with some friends, but it’s so weird he’s willing to wrestle in Mexico and CMLL is not using him.
Revolucha says they’re going to start streaming their show at 11pm on Saturdays on Facebook Live. That was about the old time for Noches de Coliseo, though it moved around a lot near the end.
Vampiro, in posting daily motivational videos, says he’s preparing for matches soon.
DTU is holding another one of it’s seminars/tryouts on 8/19 in Tampico. They haven’t had one of these in a while, but one of these winners is supposed to get a trip to Dragon Gate at the end.
Lucha Memes on 09/03 in Coliseo Coacalo
1) Keira vs Makabre
2) Silueta vs Diosa Quetzal
3) Drako, Corsario Negro Jr. vs Alas de Acero, Aramis, Iron Kid – new
LuchaWorld has the latest news update, including a better recap of the +LuchaTV podcast than I did.
CMLL (TUE) 08/22/2017 Arena México
1) Bengala & Sensei vs Apocalipsis & Cholo
2) Oro Jr., Príncipe Diamante, Starman vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Sangre Azteca
3) Drone, Fuego, Stigma vs Puma, Tiger, Virus
4) Blue Panther Jr., Stuka Jr., The Panther vs Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón
5) Ángel de Oro, Titán, Valiente vs Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
6) Mistico vs Último Guerrero
It’s been a while since they’ve done that single match, but it’s usually good. So should the middle matches.
CMLL (TUE) 08/22/2017 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Alteño & Micro vs Exterminador & Maléfico
2) Marcela, Sanely, Silueta vs Dalys, La Seductora, Tiffany
3) Esfinge, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Vangellys
4) Blue Panther, Dragón Lee, Niebla Roja vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto
5) Diamante Azul, Euforia, Pierroth, Rush, Volador Jr. vs Johnny Idol, Juice Robinson, Marco Corleone, Matt Taven, Michael Elgin [cibernetico]
Elgin starts on the 22nd with a preview Mexico vs the World cibernetico