AULL (SUN) 02/22/2015 Arena Lopez Mateos [Black Terry Jr. (flickr),Estrellas del Ring, Tercera Caida]
1) Lady Soldier b Fairy Bell and Sexy Girl
Sexy Girl replaced Phantom Queen
2) Arumi, Blue Danger, Vanely b India Mazahua, Princesa Mohicana, Xena
3) Star Fire © b Sexy Angel, Diosa Atenea [WWS CHAMP]
first defense for Star Fire. Diosa Atenea was eliminated. Lady Apache was honored after later in the show for 28 years of wrestling, with no angle.
4) Donatelo, Leonardo, Miguel Angel, Rafael NC Leo (IWRG), Mike, Rafy, Teelo
AULL Karate Turtles vs IWRG Ninja Turtles – ending as a draw when a THIRD group of turtles (Mutant Turtles) and Los Bastardos (not Turtles) all ran in. Challenges for a four way match followed.
5) Cerebro Maligno, Dr. Cerebro, Judas el Traidor b Epidemia, Heavy Boy, Sepulturero I
6) Herejía b Chucho el Roto © [AULL HEAVY]
Chucho falls on first defense, with Herejia avenging his mask loss. Herejia challenged for a hairr match – but apparently to Rocky Santana, not Chucho. Unlear when that would happen though it seemed like it would.
Black Terry Jr. has the highlights of the important match: Turtles vs Turtles. There are not many pictures of Mutant Turtles, but they look a little low rent. I do not like their odds.
IWRG (SUN) 02/22/2015 Arena Naucalpan [Estrellas del Ring, The Gladiatores]
1) Atomic Star, Dowki, Hip Hop Man b Alfa, Galaxy, Omega
2) Electro Boy, Hijo del Alebrije, Kamilión b Black Fury, Dragón Celestial, Miss Gaviota
Hijo del Alebrije (debut) replaced La Sadica.
3) Emperador Azteca, Golden Magic, Relámpago b Apolo Estrada Jr., Cerebro Negro, Imposible
4) Metaleón, Negro Navarro, Veneno b Canis Lupus, Eterno, Hijo de Pirata Morgan
straight falls. Eterno and Navarro had a 10 minute hold vs hold exchange to start the match. Veneno tricked Pirata into splashed the refs for the first fall DQ. Veneno won clean in the second fall and asked for a title shot against Pirata. Pirata accepted.
5) Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Pirata Morgan, Universo 2000 Jr. b Chicano, Danny Casas, Máscara Sagrada
Mascara snuck in a foul on Dany Casas.
Hijo de Pirata Morgan looks to be working AAA a lot in the future, so Veneno might pick up a title win here. (Then again, we could’ve said the same about Eterno last year and he’s back here, so such measures may not be necessary.)
That reminds me: the three most hyped stories on recent AAA TV have been the Rey de Reyes tournament, the dangerous alliance of the Hell Brothers and La Sociedad, and the new trio of Hijo del Pirata, Electroshock, and Man With No Name (Kronuz.) There’s about 3 weeks of TV left until Rey de Reyes, and it’s still unclear how the last two are going to actually resolve in matches – there are matches they can come up with, but they haven’t indicated an direction on TV yet.
Arena Coliseo Monterrey looks to be full or close to for the Llaves y Candados show last night. That’s the Wagners vs Ninjas trios match which had been built up on local TV and radio (but not wrestling TV), and is supposed to air on TV at some point. Silver King ended up in the hospital for stitches. They announced a partial rematch on 03/15: Dr. Wagner Jr. & Silver King vs Hijo del Ninja & Ultimo Ninja for newly created LyC Tag Team Championship.
In a recap that probably hasn’t been posted yet, I said the Leyendas Inmortales Heavy Metal/Mascara Ano 2000 feud was the same as the Heavy Metal/Electroshock feud except they weren’t using guitars (and not as good.) They started using guitars this weekend.
TerceraCaida has this week’s Leyendas de Lucha Libre up. Someone named “Bryan” teamed with the Solars. I had no idea who that man was.
Volador Jr. is unhappy he and Bucanero are still in the incredible pairs tournament. This is the dumbest tournament.
Segunda Caida reviews Hector Garza vs Hechicero.
SuperLuchas looks back at shows from February 23rd, 1979 – including a heated Mil Mascaras, Halcon Ortiz, El Faraon vs Pak Choo, Gran Markus, and Alfonso Dantes in a trios match in Arena Mexico, and an Arena Neza show that opened with Kuroneko versus novato Negro Navarro.
A lucha show in Cabo San Lucas was so bad that it made the newspaper. The ring was unbalanced – when they’d stand on one side, the other side would rise up.
Super Crazy was announced as returning to NOAH on 03/15 (so whatever the deal was with that video getting pulled doesn’t seem to have changed things.)
CMLL (FRI) 02/27/2015 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Alteño & El Tapatío vs El Chakal & Gran Kenut
2) Frezzer, Javier Cruz Jr., Virgo vs Furia Roja, Infierno, Sádico
3) Leo, Pepe Aguayo, Reycko vs Demonio Maya, Pitbull I, Pitbull II
4) Flash I, Flash II, Forastero vs El Cuatrero, Ráfaga, Sansón
5) Boby Zavala & Olímpico © vs Esfinge & Gallo [OCCIDENTE TAG]
second defense by Olimpico & Zavala
Zavala & Olimpico retaining the tag team championship would be shocking. There’s an obvious shift on Friday shows to the locals (again, only two CMLL DF guys sent) and plenty of tag teams wandering around to challenge if there were just champions here most often.
Those CMLL DF spots are instead going to old Guadalajara veterans. Pepe Aguayo (cousin of Perro Jr.) was a CMLL DF regular during the mid 90s and in this building during the late 90s/early 2000s, so they’re pulling in guys who’ve been working the Jalisco indies for the last 14 years. If Makabre just wants about 5-10 more years, he’ll get to come back too. Pepe appears to be double booked that day: he’s listed on a show in Puerto Vallerta with Blue Demon Jr.
There was a Forastero in IWRG in the mid-2000s (he was Avisman II before they broke up); that’s the name the database is latching onto, but it’s likely a different guy. I can’t find anyone in Jalisco using that name regularly, but people in other places.
CMLL (SAT) 02/28/2015 Arena Coliseo
1) Leono vs Inquisidor
2) Flyer vs Espanto Jr.
3) Soberano Jr. vs Hijo del Signo
4) Marcela vs Dalys
5) Tritón vs Okumura
6) Ángel de Oro, Titán, Valiente vs Bárbaro Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas
7) Delta & Guerrero Maya Jr. © vs Misterioso Jr. & Sagrado [Arena Coliseo TAG]
fourth defense for Delta & Maya.
Finally! This match was unofficially scheduled for 01/24, but Misterioso went to Los Angeles for wrestling shows instead. (I can identify!) Hopefully Maya & Delta will win, because I can not imagine a world where Comando Boricua are winners.
Semimain is about 1.5 wrestlers from being really interesting.
IWRG (SUN) 03/01/2015 Arena Naucalpan
1) Mini Cobra & Mini Multifacetico vs Demon Rock & Espectrito
2) Black Fury, Dragón Celestial, Miss Gaviota vs Electro Boy, Hijo del Alebrije, Kamilión
3) Liderk, Rayan, Spector vs Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro, Veneno
4) Chicano, Relámpago, Súper Nova vs Canis Lupus, Eterno, Tony Rivera
5) Golden Magic vs Universo 2000 Jr., Danny Casas, Hijo De Dos Caras, Pirata Morgan Jr., Apolo Estrada Jr., El Hijo del Diablo, Hijo de Máscara Año 2000 [La Rebelión de Los Juniors]
Super Nova won this match of second generation wrestlers (or wrestlers pretending to be second generation) last year, then went onto win the IWRG Juniors title. The winner of this year’s match faces Nova on 03/15.
Second match is a rematch. Demon Rock is from Puebla, same as the other IWRG minis.
CMLL (SUN) 03/01/2015 Arena México
1) Magnus & Robin vs Camorra & Nitro
2) Fuego, Pegasso, Stigma vs Okumura, Sangre Azteca, Virus
3) La Máscara, Super Porky, Titán vs Bárbaro Cavernario, Negro Casas, Vangellys
4) Ángel de Oro © vs Gran Guerrero [CMLL LH]
Angel de Oro’s second defense
5) Atlantis vs Último Guerrero, La Sombra, Niebla Roja, Valiente, Rey Bucanero, Blue Panther, Mr. Águila, Dragón Rojo Jr., Ephesto, Stuka Jr., Misterioso Jr. [#1 Contenders, NWA LH]
Final two survivors face off on 03/08.
Why does CMLL have two Light Heavyweight championships again? (They actually have three.) Angel de Oro’s title seems to be the lesser important one for sure, with defenses against Okumura and Gran Guerrero. Disturbio should be in line next, we’d get it on video that way.
The previous NWA Light Heavyweight Champion was Diamante Azul, who hasn’t been seen since November. He was believed to go to France to visit his wife. The story I heard is his wife isn’t planning on moving to Mexico. That’s got to be a tough relationship, and I wonder if Azul just decided to stay in France. It’s unclear what exactly is going on here and, as we saw with Mistico, vacating a title does not mean you won’t be gone (just as winning a title doesn’t meant you’re staying.) Maybe we’ll learn more by the time CMLL Informa airs, so we’ll table the full Azul obit for another time, but he’s not really been missed the last three months and wouldn’t be missed if he was gone for good.
The finalists are likely to be two of Atlantis, Ultimo Guerrero and La Sombra, though Rey Bucanero might have a chance given his current role. Maybe you can even extend to Valiente & Panther. Sombra is the current NWA middleweight champion and him having both titles is probably an issue when it comes to Universal tournament, but that’s still more than half a year away. Atlantis previous held this title four about 4 years, Ultimo Guerrero has never won it.
CMLL (FRI) 02/20/2015 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [CMLL]
1) Relampago & Thunder Boy b El Divino & Meteoro
2) El Alteño & Javier Cruz Jr. b Great Kenut & Satara
Tecnicos took 1/3. Alteno’s first match here in two years.
3) Demonio Maya, El Gitano, Évola b El Tapatío, Frezzer, Reycko
Reycko and Tapatio replaced Sky Kid & Smaker. Rudos took 2/3. No info on the (new?) Gitano.
4) Leo, Magnum, Omar Brunetti b Jocker, Mr. Trueno, Rey Trueno
Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Dragón Rojo Jr. © b Mr. Águila [CMLL MIDDLE]
Dragon Rojo took 2/3 to keep his title, the last with a top rope double stomp. 11th defense.
This card was so low on star power, even the usual Guadalajara locals weren’t on it. I dunno.
CMLL (SAT) 02/21/2015 Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Pequeño Olímpico b Angelito
2) Disturbio b Magnus
3) Nitro b Sensei
4) Okumura b Hombre Bala Jr.
5) Sangre Azteca b Starman
6) Misterioso Jr. & Sagrado b Delta & Guerrero Maya Jr.
Boricuas asked for a title shot again, and this time the tag champions agreed.
7) Ángel de Oro, Dragón Rojo Jr., Máximo b Kráneo, Olímpico, Vangellys
Main event was the three heaviest CMLL champions – heavyweight, light heavyweight, and middleweight – as a winning trio, the only tecnicos to win on the night.
LI (SAT) 02/21/2015 Deportivo Benito Juárez, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal [Estrellas del Ring, TerceraCaida]
1) Jhon Crazy & Mascara Virtual b Gato Montes & Rey Infierno
2) Miss Janeth © b Yuca La Potranquita [UWA WOMEN]
Janeth’s first known defense in over a decade. She appeared to have a new belt. Money thrown in after the match.
3) Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr., Hijo del Solar, Pantera DQ Magnifico, Triturador, Universo 2000
Triturador (?) replaced Mr. Mexico. Tyson La Bestia (?) attacked the tecnicos for the DQ.
4) Heavy Metal DDQ Máscara Año 2000
the two made hair match challenges
5) Fuerza Guerrera, Octagón, Shu el Guerrero b Canek, Canek Jr., Mr. Jack
Rudos won in straight falls, with the help of Xandao (Zumbi’s tall Brazilian friend.)
Of the top three matches, two end with unknown tall people getting involved and the other ends with no finish.
CMLL (SUN) 02/22/2015 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Bengala & Molotov b Camorra & Inquisidor
2) Canelo Casas, Hijo del Signo, Sangre Azteca b Flyer, Pegasso, Star Jr.
3) Dark Angel, Estrellita, Goya Kong b La Comandante, La Seductora, Zeuxis
Zeuxis hurt her ankle (on her moonsault to the floor). It was later determined to be fractured – she’ll have surgery immediately.
4) Pólvora b Stuka Jr. [lightning]
Polvora Driver for the win in under five minutes.
5) Felino, Gran Guerrero, Negro Casas b Ángel de Oro, Dragón Rojo Jr., La Sombra
Angel de Oro became a new dad earlier in the day. He lost here to Gran Guerrero, who challenged him to a title match. Angel de Oro accepted.
6) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. b Ephesto, Euforia, Mephisto
Ephesto replaced Ultimo Guerrero on Monday. Misitco return to action after being missing on Friday. Volador beat Mephisto for the win.
Alexis mentioned on Twitter that Zeuxis’ injury did not look severe until they took her for x-rays. Zeuxis, who works as a paramedic and is training to become a physical therapist in her other life, probably has a better idea of how long it’ll take to come back from this than most: she says he’ll be out of action four months. No idea what will happen with her title; they’ve been consistently inconsistently with those. This might cause bigger chances in the women’s division – Zeuxis was being pushed because they needed another ruda and she was the best who wasn’t being used, and now they need someone else.
CMLL’s Homenaje a Dos Leyendas will air in Cinepolis movie theatres. There were ads on display for this show on Friday night’s show and there’s a graphic out, but no more details yet.
Rey de Reyes tickets are running from 1320 MXP ($87 USD) down all the way to 198 MXP ($13) for adults and 88MXP ($6) for kids. AAA’s posted this week TV show, the first part from Ecatepec. There’s no word of any PPV, internet or other means of broadcast for this show yet, though it’s expected to air on TV shortly after it takes place.
Segunda Caida reviews Pirata Morgan vs Blue Demon Jr.
RobViper has a music video for 10/31/14 CMLL.
Fuego en el Ring interviews Mr. Niebla, who’s now saying his meeting with CMLL may take place in late March or early April. That keeps changing.
Super Libre had Al Carillo and Virgo in studio.
Cibernetico‘s says he’ll humiliate his opponents next week.
DJ Spectro writes about a Solitario/Ray Mendoza title match.
Negro Garcia, a luchador from Irapuato, was shot and killed Sunday. Stories differ if it was Negro Garcia Sr. or his son.
Vamper (SAT) 03/14/2015 Gimnasio Olímpico Juan de la Barrera, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal
1) Goya Kong, Paloma Rouse, Yuca La Potranquita vs Casandra, Star Fire, Zeuxis
2) Eterno & Hijo de LA Park vs Hijo de Mascara Sagrada & Súper Nova
3) Brazo de Oro, Brazo de Plata, Brazo de Platino vs Espectro Jr., Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Satánico
4) Heavy Metal, Máscara Sagrada, Rayman vs Gran Alebrije, Histeria II, Psicosis II
5) Negro Casas vs Fuerza Guerrera
6) Dr. Wagner Jr. & Rayo de Jalisco Jr. vs Canek & LA Park
I dismissed Fuerza’s idea of a rematch with Negro Casas in Juan de la Barrera as wishful thinking, but now it looks like he knew this show was happening when he said it. Listed as being taped on TV, which is not actually the same as airing on TV. That’s a typical 80s/90s top 4 matches – Rayman’s too young to be in that crew.
CMLL (FRI) 02/20/2015 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Cancerbero & Raziel b Oro Jr. & Soberano Jr.
2) Ángel de Oro, Fuego, Tritón b Ephesto, Hechicero, Okumura
3) Euforia & Negro Casas b Mephisto and Ripper and Kamaitachi and Rey Bucanero and Bárbaro Cavernario and Misterioso Jr. [natl pi, seeding battle royal]
4) La Máscara & Mephisto b Dragon Lee & Kamaitachi [natl pi, 8f]
Dragon Lee & Kamaitachi could not work together and lost.
5) Guerrero Maya Jr. & Ripper b Delta & Misterioso Jr. [natl pi, 8f]
Ripper’s first match here in six months (said to be on a tour of the US.) He was supposed to team with Mistico, but Guerrero Maya Jr. replaced him with no explaination.
6) Rey Bucanero & Volador Jr. b Bárbaro Cavernario & Titán [natl pi, 8f]
Bucanero & Volador did not get along at all but still won.
7) La Sombra & Negro Casas b Euforia & Valiente [natl pi, 8f]
8) La Máscara & Mephisto b Guerrero Maya Jr. & Ripper [natl pi, quarterfinal]
9) Rey Bucanero & Volador Jr. vs La Sombra & Negro Casas [natl pi, quarterfinal]
10) Rey Bucanero & Volador Jr. b La Máscara & Mephisto [natl pi, semifinal]
Bucanero & Volador won despite Bucanero giving Volador a piledriver near the end of the match.
11) Atlantis, Marco Corleone, Máximo DQ Terrible, Thunder, Último Guerrero
Terrible fouled Maximo.
The Volador/Bucanero stuff is eye rolling, but the Mistico disappearing act is the actual news. Not a word about him or what happened. He’s listed on next week’s card, but that may be wishful thinking if he out via injury (which seems to be the most likely reason.)
Remember when Blue Demon Jr. missed last year’s Rey de Reyes, and it was explained in the Observer that Demon had to stay in the US for six months to establish residency. (And then Demon came back much sooner than six months and the story never made a lot of sense, but that’s not my point.) Ripper has been gone for six months, and said to be in the US during that time. I dunno, but it stuck out to me.
Tickets went on sale for Homenaje Dos Leyendas yesterday. The most expensive tickets are 830MXP (55 USD) and go down to 185MXP (12 USD) for the worst lower bowl seats; the higher level seats are not on sale yet.
Lucha Underground returns to taping this weekend. They’ll be taping episodes 25, 26, 27, and 28, taking them from April 29 to May 20th. Alberto is back from his European vacation and will be on those shows.
AAA’s TV show has been moved to 5:15 local today. The show will have the minis match, the third Rey de Reyes qualifier, and La Parka, Blue Demon and Jack Evans vs the Hell Brothers from their Ecatepec taping.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
DJ Spectro looks back at El Chupacabras.
CMLL (FRI) 02/27/2015 Arena México
1) Leono & Molotov vs Hijo del Signo & Metálico
2) Blue Panther Jr., Dragon Lee, The Panther vs Kamaitachi, Puma, Tiger
3) Atlantis & Último Guerrero vs Rush & Shocker and Marco Corleone & Thunder and Máximo & Terrible and Ángel de Oro & Hechicero and Dragón Rojo Jr. & Niebla Roja and Blue Panther & Felino and Gran Guerrero & Stuka Jr. [natl pi, seeding battle royal]
4) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, 8f]
5) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, 8f]
6) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, 8f]
7) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, 8f]
8) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, quarterfinal]
9) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, quarterfinal]
10) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, semifinal]
11) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Mephisto, Rey Bucanero
Gran Guerrero handles the video promo, will be losing in the first round. Terrible and Maximo are the obvious favorites, but it wouldn’t he a shock for Ultimo & Atlantis or Rush & Shocker to make it instead.
Segunda looks like an awesome match which has absolutely no chance of making TV. (There’s no Tuesday lightning match this week, it’d be nice if that went up on YouTube instead.)
CMLL also uploaded part 3 of the El Faraon bio.
Today’s CMLL show starts the the annual incredible pairs tournament, with one rudo and one tecnico getting along just a bit more than the other team. The teams, ranked vaguely in the chances they have to advance
- La Sombra & Negro Casas
- Mistico & Ripper
- La Mascara & Mephisto
- Rey Bucanero & Volador Jr.
- Dragon Lee & Kamaitachi
- Barbaro Cavernario & Titan
- Euforia & Valiente
- Delta & Misterioso Jr.
Any of the top four teams winning would not be a surprise. It actually works better for CMLL’s short term goals for Dragon Lee & Kamatiachi to actually advance, but their conversation on Informa indicated that’s not going to happen. CMLL tournaments are interesting to see who wins, but the matches themselves are scarcely any good. Matches where partners don’t get along are just as bad. This tournament has been successful in highlighting feuds that’ll end up in the Anniversary show, but the in-ring quality is abysmal. The next two weeks of the Fox Sports 2 show are going to be unwatchable (more than usual.)
The only other notable match on the show is Atlantis, Marco and Maximo taking on Terrible, Thunder, and Ultimo Guerrero. It features the Maximo/Terrible rivalry, and it might a preview of next week’s teams.
Mr. Niebla acknowledged he’s out of CMLL for the time being in an interview with Mexico City’s Metro. They’re not online, but there’s a photo of the article on Facebook. Niebla doesn’t mention why he’s out – Niebla tries to frame this as his decision (it’s not) and does mention he’s got a meeting with CMLL about his status in the middle of the March. In the meantime, he’s very very open to indy bookings or even returning to AAA. It’s extremely unlikely he’ll be picked up by AAA. It’s actually kind of amazing CMLL would be willing to talk to him that soon (but then, Niebla’s story on this situation has changed frequently so there’s no reason we should be believe this story either.)
Amapola is headed back to Japan for REINA, working on 03/13 and 04/05 shows. She’s the current REINA International Champion and will likely defend the title while she’s there. No challenger named. That also means she’ll be in Japan while Syuri comes to Mexico (so she’s not likely to be the one to beat Syrui for the CMLL’s title.)
This week’s Bauer & Pollock podcast briefly mentions AAA contacted Samoa Joe about coming in. It’s one of many offers Samoa Joe has gotten since announcing he was leaving TNA. He’d previously appeared in AAA a handful of times in forgettable TNA invader roles.
Monterrey’s Hijo del Ninja, Rico Rodriguez and Ultimo Ninja will appear on the ChilangaMask 04/12 Coliseo Coacalco show. That’s also a handy announcement that there is a 04/12 ChilangaMask show.
DoradaFan has a music video of 12/16/2014 CMLL.
LuchaWorld has a recap of 02/18/15 CMLL Informa. They should’ve asked Kamaitachi if he really was working for a secret rival of Dragon Lee.
Segunda Caida reviews Strong Man vs NXT announcer Jason Albert in trios.
Estadio Deportes talked to Washigton’s Ave Rex about the difference between US and Mexican wrestling.
SuperLuchas looks back at Guajardo & Galant versus the Shadow Brothers on a past February 19th and Ultimo Guerrero, Tarzan Boy and Black Warrior vs LA Park, Shocker and announcer/legend Vampiro on a past February 20th.
Blue Demon Jr. still wants that title match with Chessman. It’s only been eleven months, no hurry.
Fuego en el Ring picks Zeuxis, Hechicero, Cavernario and Titan as the future stars of CMLL.