There was a lot of below average this week and not much good. Maybe a little bit better next week.
Everything else (more…)
There was a lot of below average this week and not much good. Maybe a little bit better next week.
|good||Drone, Esfinge, Soberano Jr. vs Okumura, Puma, Tiger||CMLL YouTube: 2017-02-06||2017-02-06|
|good||Blue Panther Jr., Stigma, The Panther vs Cancerbero, Sagrado, Virus||CMLL YouTube: 2017-02-07||2017-02-07|
|good||Stuka Jr. vs Rey Bucanero||CMLL YouTube: 2017-02-07||2017-02-07|
|good||Puma & Rey Cometa vs Cavernario & Volador Jr. in a National Parejas Increible Tournament match and [8f]||CMLL on ClaroSports.com: 2017-02-10||2017-02-10|
|good||Cavernario & Volador Jr. vs Carístico & Mephisto in a National Parejas Increible Tournament match and in a tournament semifinal match||CMLL on ClaroSports.com: 2017-02-10||2017-02-10|
Everything else (more…)
CMLL (TUE) 02/14/2017 Arena México [CMLL, CultIcon]
1) Shockercito & Último Dragóncito b Pequeño Nitro & Pequeño Olímpico
tecnicos took 1/3
2) Grako, Raziel, Sangre Azteca b Magia Blanca, Marvel, Sangre Imperial
Rudos took 1/3.
3) Soberano Jr., Star Jr., Stigma b Okumura, Skándalo, Virus
tecnicos took 2/3
4) Pegasso b Disturbio [lightning]
Pegasso caught Disturbio with a cradle
5) Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys b Ángel de Oro, Johnny Idol, Rey Cometa
Rudos took 1/3
6) Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto b Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr.
Ephesto beat Volador in straight falls and asked for a title shot!
CMLL has a 150 people on the roster, they’re doing an Ephesto title match, and they’re not even doing the Ephesto title match they promised to do. Also, as much as I might think there were way too many Volador title matches for his own good, CMLL obviously isn’t thinking the same. The recap makes it sound as if the title match is happening next week (very good one week build) but there’s no lineup yet. CultIcon says the third match was good, and you should probably read his whole recap instead of my one sentence about the show.
CMLL (TUE) 02/14/2017 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Arena Coliseo Guadalajara]
1) Linterna & Relámpago b Capitán Cobra & Mágico
Capitan Cobra replaced Nautilus, but suffered a head injury and did not finish. Linterna replaced Leon Blanco.
2) Cancerbero, Canelo Casas, Difunto b Magnum, Príncipe Diamante, Starman
Principe Diamante continues his perfect record.
3) Cavernario, Puma, Tiger b Blue Panther Jr., Drone, The Panther
4) Pierroth b Diamante Azul
Pierroth fouled and unmasked Azul
5) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Rush b Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero
Rush replaced Caristico (injury?).
This arena announced Caristico missing the match ahead of time and did live results, both things which haven’t been done in a while.
Fuego en el Ring says Sanson, Cuatrero, Forastero, Terrible, Pierroth, Dragon Lee, and Diamante Azul will be on the 02/26 Coliseo Guadalajara show. CMLL DF guys being on a Sunday show is unusual.
CMLL tries to find interesting things to say about Yoshi Tatsu, does not posses a picture of Yoshi Tatsu.
Lucha Underground isn’t on Netflix today. You knew that if you read this site or listen to the MMM show or a few other places. You do not know that if you simply follow Lucha Underground or most news sites, but I can only do so much unpaid work for Lucha Underground which they can’t be bothered to do themselves. LU will be on Netflix eventually – I’m sure we’ll have another flurry about it the first time the real date pops up there, and then the day it actually goes live. What a day that’ll be.
The missing piece is where did “February 15” come from, anyway? Well, it’s pretty clear it came from Lucha Underground General Manager Dorian Roldan. On this week’s MLW Radio, Court Bauer defends his original report about LU being on Netflix – which has proven correct – while also backpeddaling away from the date he reported. The whole argument is about that date, and I’m not sure if Court is unaware of that or just focusing on the accurate reports of his story. Whatever, people are wrong sometimes, you get fed bad info from people you can trust, you try your best to make sure it doesn’t happen, but it happens. The interesting thing is Court defends his story by talking about who he got it from. He never says Dorian Roldan, but it’s obviously Dorian Roldan from a chat they had at the Combates Americas show in Mexico City.
The same Dorian Roldan who was the only person credited with bringing LU to Netflix is the reason a lot of people are going to be disappointed not to find LU on Neflix today. The reason they’re going to be frustrated with Lucha Underground is a false story planted by Lucha Underground. Not me, anonymous basement blogger of limited credibility. Not you, random internet person. Not chaos bringer Konnan, who will likely be amused when someone tells him this story of AAA/LU dysfunction to him. Not even really Court Bauer, who was simply told a date by a person who he was sure knew what was going on and will find out later that wasn’t correct. (The best case scenario here is there was a honest miscommunication about what “02/15” meant, but that’s something Dorian could’ve fixed with a single DM and Court could’ve put out there with a single tweet, and it doesn’t appear to have been done.) This all on Dorian, and all they’ve done to do it put a press release on a Spanish language site where most of the Lucha Undergrounds fans won’t see it. It’s hard to have much confidence on Dorian being the one to fix Lucha Underground’s problems when he caused more of them on Day 1 and didn’t do near enough to clean them up.
Everyone who’s upset today will get over and it just move on to something else – just like they’re moving onto other things during this stupidly long stretch LU is not airing new episodes on TV – but it says a lot about the level of communication where one part of LU is putting out a date, another part of LU is shooting down the same date, and neither person knows they’re working against each other. Good luck, everyone.
In response to Sangre Chicana Jr. being burned in Satillo, Coahuila, Ciudad Juarez’s lucha libre commission has banned fire from being lucha libre. Those two cities are far away from each other, this is the Juarez commission seeing the reports and having their own experiences to decide to ban it. Pagano, a native of Ciudad Juarez, is against a blanket ban for everyone, saying that people who know what they’re doing should be allowed to use it. There’s some thing to this point; the Sangre Chicana Jr. burns were made worse because they apparently actually used gasoline, which is sometimes pretended to be used but should never actually be used. Still, Pagano’s putting him out there as a trained professional, and Psycho Clown still ended up with burns that took him out of wrestling for a while when the fire spot at Heroes Inmortales was done carelessly. (And it may be for nothing, since the Traidor Clowns & Pagano may no longer be feuding with Psycho Clown.) Fire spots would largely not be missed by fans, but would be missed by luchadors who need those spots to get over.
The Crash will go to Aguascalientes on 03/09. That’s one of the cities they wanted to expand to. The teaser images teases Rey Mysterio Jr., Penta and Rey Fenix.
DistroMania/FULL announced announced Alberto vs Drew McIntyre on 05/21 at Circo Astros. That’s where FULL ran a few weeks of TV in 2015 and drew horribly. Hopefully it’ll go better with Alberto.
Kcids draws some incredible pairs. Cavernario looks very frightened.
The latest +Lucha podcast has La Hiedra, Wotan, and Belial as guests. Wotan talks about a fight he got in with fan; he says the fan has been harassing him online and is actually a luchador, but he also says he probably shouldn’t get into fights with fans.
What happened: Rey Bucanero cheated to beat Stuka. That’s it
What was good: I liked the Panther trios and the Stuka/Bucanero match, but nothing that strongly.
Where can I watch it: It’s on CMLL’s YouTube
What happened: Rush foul Diamante Azul to set up a singles match next week.
What was good: The tercera was the only watchable thing on the show.
Where can I watch it: It’s on CMLL’s channel. (more…)
CMLL (SUN) 02/12/2017 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [+LuchaTV, Domingos Familiares]
1) Destructor & Guerrero de la Muerte b Avispón Negro Jr. & Micro
Rudos took 1/3.
2) Carlo Roggi, Linterna, Mr. Brisa b Capitán Cobra, El Alteño, Fugaz
Rudos took 1/3.
3) Star Black b Flash II, Maléfico, Vaquero Jr., Ráfaga, Smaker, Difunto, Explosivo, Relámpago, Rey Trueno [Copa Guadalajara, cibernetico]
match in honor of Guadalajara reaching 475 years. Star Black defeated (the still very new) Difunto to win.
4) Joker & Sádico b Frezzer & Furia Roja [hair]
2 hairs vs 2 hairs. Joker & Sadico rallied to take 2/3, the last when Joker beat Frezzer to win. Frezzer has lost his mask and his hair in about six week’s time.
Frezzer & Furia Roja are booked next week, so this wasn’t the end for them, even with the bad losses. Today is actually the 475th anniversary of Guadalajara’s founding and there may be more special matches in celebration during the year.
CMLL (MON) 02/13/2017 Arena Puebla [Culticon, Plantilla Deportiva]
1) Centella Roja & Flyer b Ares & Guerrero Espacial
2) Asturiano & Black Tiger b Rey Apocalipsis & Toro Bill Jr.
3) Disturbio & Policeman b Lestat & Rey Samuray
4) Virus b Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr., Soberano Jr., Star Jr., Stigma, Okumura, Pólvora, Sagrado, Skándalo [cibernetico]
Order of elimination: Okumura (Fuego), Maya (Polvora), Fuego (Sagrado), Skandalo (by DQ for unmasking Stigma), Star Jr. & Sagrado got DQed at the same time, Stigma (Polvora), Polvora (Soberano), Virus (Soberano) leaving Virus as the winner
5) Rush DQ Diamante Azul
Rush took 1/3. In the last fall, Azul was on his way to winning when La Mascara walked out with a chair. Mascara sat on the chair on the ramp, but Azul was distracted and Rush faked a foul before Mascara really even had a chance to sit down.
6) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Volador Jr. b Euforia, La Máscara, Negro Casas
This show was said to be better than usual, with the cibernetico said worth watching. I wasn’t paying total attention but Rush/Azul seemed significantly better than last time.
Today’s Tuesday Arena Mexico is a CMLL Hat Special – just lots of random assembled trios matches for no particular reason. CMLL’s preview pitches a Valentine’s Day theme, though it’s not apparent in the lineup. The main is the Hijos del Infernal versus Marco, Maximo and Volador. Remember when Marco & Maximo were going to find a new partner? These things take time. Bucanero, Terrible and Vangellys face Angel de Oro, Johnny Idol and Rey Cometa. Pegasso takes on Disturbio in the lightning match, which will be fine but not as exciting as recent ones. Soberano, Star and Stigma fight Okumura, Skandalo, and Virus in the tercera, which might be the best match on the show. Magia Blanca, Marvel and Sangre Imperial face Grako, Raziel and Sangre Azteca, which might produce some GIFs. Shockercito & Ultimo Dragoncito open against Pequeno Nitro & Pequeno Olimpico. Those four guys might not be in the mini title tournament simply because they were booked on this show.
CultIcon previews this show. It’ll air at 7:30 on CMLL’s YouTube.
Diamante Azul has another singles match, this time with Pierroth, in Guadalajara tonight. Principe Diamante wrestles on that show, so there’s a chance he might actually get a win away from Arena Mexico.
There’s a Sam Adonis story in GQ. There’s a Sam Adonis article in the AP. There’s articles on Sam Adonis everywhere at once; one person did the story and everyone else decided to do the same story, and that AP story has been translated in Spanish.
The other story going viral this week is Hijo de Sangre Chicana getting burned in the fire spot gone bad. He’s still in the hospital but looking better. There’s a benefit show for him this Friday in Arena Nueva Brasil. AAA’s La Hiedra, Sangre’s brother, is auctioning off the mask he used in that match to help pay for his expenses.
Llaves y Candados has resurfaced as a YouTube show. It didn’t air on TV. There’s a lot more talking and interview segments (and Garza Jr. pizza commercials) than the old version, with highlights from old matches. Most of it is from last year, but there’s an older one with Mistico shown too.
Segunda Caida reviews Fuerza Guerrera vs Octagon and Wotan vs As Charro.
RobViper has highlights of 04/20/16 Elite
SuperLuchas has a recap of Juventued Guerrera’s latest La Arena webshow.
A story of two luchadors in love for Valentine’s Day.
CMLL (MON) 02/20/2017 Arena Puebla
1) Flyer, Millenium, Zaeta Roja vs Guerrero Espacial, King Jaguar, Perverso
2) Lestat, Pegasso, Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Disturbio, Espíritu Maligno, Policeman
3) Blue Panther Jr., The Panther, Tritón vs Kráneo, Olímpico, Ripper
4) Ángel de Oro, Máximo Sexy, Valiente vs Hechicero, Rey Bucanero, Terrible
5) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Niebla Roja, Yoshi Tatsu
Yoshi Tatsu versus the Sky Team. He’s matched up across from Volador on Friday too, though Volador is busy on the Friday after. Maybe a trios title challenge here? Ripper/Panther feud is back after I called it dead, good call by me.
WMC (SUN) 02/26/2017 Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México
1) Flama Roja, Torito, Toro Negro Jr. vs Fandango, Leo, Mike
2) Alan Extreme, Guerrero Mixtico, Yoruba vs Black Terry, Demus 3:16, Súper Colt
3) Centvrión & Mr. Leo (c) vs Látigo & Metaleón [NPAR TAG]
4) Ancla, Andy Boy, Danger vs Lunatik Fly, Lunatik Xtreme, Ovett
5) Miedo Extremo vs Drako
6) Arez vs Belial vs Impulso [mask, hair]
Hope they have a better ring this time. WMC seems big on partners fighting each other, with it happening both in the main event and the tag title match. At least that one sort of makes sense; Centvrion & Mr. Leo are the tag team champions at Nuevo Arena Pista Revolucion.
IAP (SUN) 03/12/2017 Gimnasio Hercules, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal
1) Atomik & Jhonny M. vs Deirus & Jako Jr.
2) Mike Segura vs Freelance
3) Reasy vs Thunder Stoorm
4) Danger vs Lokillo
5) Corsario & Drako vs Gato Montes & Rey Infierno
6) Osiris vs Camaleón
7) Wotan vs Trauma I
I probably should do a better job of highlighted lineups with matches that might pop up on Powerbomb.TV or +LuchaTV, but I usually don’t have much to add about them. Wotan & Trauma I is a Toreo tribute match (which usually means lots of brawling.) Freelance and Mike Segura is usually good.
YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYyNnOBGWP7S0l1pwNMo-lnrAlHhAVaSd
02/11 & 02/12 WWC: Cloud Drive
02/11 Elite USA: Cloud Drive
CMLL on ClaroSports.com: 2017-02-10
taped 2017-02-10 @ Arena México
1) Astral & Príncipe Diamante vs Cancerbero & Raziel
2) Princesa Sugehit, Sanely, Silueta vs Amapola, Dalys, Zeuxis
3) Atlantis, Stuka Jr., Valiente vs La Máscara, Ripper, Rush
4) Ángel de Oro & Carístico vs Marco Corleone, Diamante Azul, Volador Jr., Rey Cometa, Máximo Sexy, Blue Panther in a seeding battle royal match
5) Blue Panther & Tiger vs Máscara Año 2000 & Máximo in a National Parejas Increible eighthfinal
6) Puma & Rey Cometa vs Cavernario & Volador Jr. in a National Parejas Increible eighthfinal
7) Kráneo & Marco Corleone vs Diamante Azul & Pierroth in a National Parejas Increible eighthfinal
8) Ángel de Oro & Rey Bucanero vs Carístico & Mephisto in a National Parejas Increible eighthfinal
9) Máscara Año 2000 & Máximo vs Cavernario & Volador Jr. in a National Parejas Increible quarterfinal
10) Diamante Azul & Pierroth vs Carístico & Mephisto in a National Parejas Increible quarterfinal
11) Cavernario & Volador Jr. vs Carístico & Mephisto in a National Parejas Increible semifinal
AAA on Televisa: 2017-02-11
taped 2017-01-27 @ Salón Rojo del Club Toluca, Toluca, Estado de México
1) Dinastía, Lanzeloth, Máscara de Bronce vs Mini Psycho Clown, Parka Negra, Soul Rocker
2) Averno, Chessman, Joe Lider vs Dave The Clown, Monsther Clown, Murder Clown
3) Angélico, Australian Suicide, La Parka vs Dark Cuervo, Dark Scoria, Zorro
CMLL Guerreros del Ring on 52MX: 2017-02-11
taped 2017-01-30 @ Arena Puebla
1) Drone, Rey Cometa, Tritón vs Bobby Z, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado
2) Atlantis, Dragón Lee, Titán vs Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero
3) La Máscara, Máscara Año 2000, Rush vs Diamante Azul, Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy in a relevos increíbles match
IWRG Zona XXI: 2017-02-11
taped 2017-02-08 @ Arena Naucalpan
1) Diablo Jr. vs Aramis, Araña de Plata, Alfa, Shadow Boy
2) Black Dragón, Chicano, Pantera I vs Hip Hop Man, Violencia Jr., Vortice
3) Dragón Fly vs Demonio Infernal
4) Leo, Mike, Rafy, Teelo vs Demasiado, Diva Salvaje, Miss Gaviota, Nigma
IWRG Zona XXI: 2017-02-13
taped 2017-02-12 @ Arena Naucalpan
1) Eterno vs Súper Mega
2) Imposible, Odin, Pantera I vs Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro, Relámpago
3) Veneno vs Danny Casas
4) Negro Navarro, Pirata Morgan, Villano IV vs Herodes Jr., Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Mr. Electro
5) Golden Magic vs Pirata Morgan Jr. for the mask and for the hair
What happened: Dr. Wagner beat Psycho Clown again. Pagano & Mesias had problems, at least according to the AAA recap. It didn’t come across during the match, though the announcers brought it up.
Lady Shani won again and asked for a title shot against Taya. She got speared by Mesias instead. That segment seemed to end up being more about putting Mesias in Brian Cage’s spot as Mundo’s friend than Taya/Shani by the end.
What was good: None of the matches. Bengala & Mini Psycho fell off high places, but that was done more impressively last week. Even fans of AAA main event style can find a better week of TV than the one they had here.
Where can I watch it: It’s on AAA’s channel. (more…)
Dorian Roldán, GM of Lucha Libre FMV, has confirmed that seasons one & two of #LuchaUnderground will be available on Netflix Spring of 2017
— Lucha Underground (@LuchaElRey) February 13, 2017
It’s finally official! I guess the downside to actually announcing things is it only leads to more questions – when? where? are two good ones to start with – but I’m so tired of writing about Netflix that the rest of the post is just some randomly chosen Lucha Underground gifs that I had already uploaded.
Thank you and good day.
Edit: Son of Havoc says US, Canada and LATAM, but half of LU’s roster thought the show was going on at 02/15 before, so who knows.
CMLL (SUN) 02/12/2017 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Magia Blanca & Marvel b Artillero & Camorra
tecnicos took 1/3
2) Disturbio, Okumura, Virus b Astral, Star Jr., Starman
rudos took 2/3. Astral is now 0-2.
3) Blue Panther, Drone, Tritón b Bobby Villa, Forastero, Sam Adonis
Tecnicos took 2/3. Bobby Z is now Bobby Villa. He didn’t get along with Adonis, and their fight cost the rudos the match.
4) Dragón Rojo Jr., Felino, Pólvora b Guerrero Maya Jr., Johnny Idol, Valiente
rudos took 1/3
5) Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero b Mistico, Titán, Volador Jr.
Probably should’ve seen Sam Adonis and Los Revolucionarios not exactly being friends. Oh well.
IWRG (SUN) 02/12/2017 Arena Naucalpan [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Estrellas del Ring]
1) Aramis b Alfa
2) Acero & Araña de Plata b Kanon & Mr. Magia
3) Súper Mega b Eterno
4) Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro, Relámpago b Imposible, Odin, Pantera I
Odin replaced Chicano.
5) Danny Casas b Veneno
hair match challenged followed
6) Negro Navarro, Pirata Morgan, Villano IV b Herodes Jr., Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Mr. Electro
Herodes Jr. was hurt during the match. Black Terry came out as if to replace him, but ended up fighting Mr. Electro and joining the Consagrados. Trauma I tried to make the save and fought his father, but was unmasked by the veteran rudos.
7) Golden Magic b Pirata Morgan Jr. [mask, hair]
Golden Magic took Pirata’s hair after Pirata Sr. hit his son with a chair by mistake and Golden Magic landed the 450 splash.
Golden Magic winning was expected, but they tried to create drama by having Pirata Morgan interfering a lot and Golden Magic ending up in as a bloody mess.
IWRG has quite the old man stable. Usually, this leads to the youngsters challenging and proving themselves. In this case, Mr. Electro (47) is a youngster and I’m not sure about proving themselves.
Today’s Puebla show has a Rush versus Diamante Azul singles match. They did this match in October in Arena Mexico. It was pretty bad, and you should not actually click on that link. Maybe it’ll be better, but it does set up as match that they might take easy. Dragon Lee is back and should take it easy, but he’s in a main event with Mistico & Volador against Euforia, La Mascara and Negro Casas, so he may not take it easy. This would be Casas’ first match in about a week, having been replaced by Mr. Niebla repeatedly last week.
The rest of the show is unusual, with a cibernetico and a set of 2v2 tag matches. It’s not clear why they’re doing it like this – the thre tag matches could easily be two tag match and there’s nothing on the line in the cibernetico – but different is fine. The cibernetico has Fuego, Guerrero Maya, Soberano, Star Jr. and Stigma against Okumura, Polvora, Sagrado, Skandalo and Virus. There’s no champions involved, so this is probably a 10 person match just to do a 10 person match. The tag matches are Lestat & Rey Samuray vs Disturbio & Polcieman, the Batillon de la Muerte against Asutriano & Black Tiger, and Centella Roja & Flyer taking Ares & Guerrero Espacial.
CultIcon also previews this show. It airs on CMLL’s YouTube at 9pm.
There’s a Dinastia Wagner (Silver King) promo for this upcoming BARACAL show, so it’s probably not a LA Park thing as someone bringing in the usual names.
DTU is teasing an upcoming contest for a luchador to win a trip to Japan.
Segunda Caida reviews Hijo del Santo, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas vs Black Warrior, Blue Panther and Fuerza Guerrera.
CMLL (SAT) 02/18/2017 Arena Coliseo
1) Bengala, Flyer, Leono vs Akuma, Camorra, Cholo
2) Estrellita, La Jarochita, Princesa Sugehit vs Amapola, La Comandante, Zeuxis
3) Blue Panther, Drone, Tritón vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Vangellys
4) Carístico, Titán, Valiente vs Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja, Rey Bucanero
5) Rush vs Último Guerrero
Ultimo Guerrero and Rush had four matches last year, and Ultimo Guerrero won every single one of ’em. They’ve had 10 singles matches and Rush has only pinned UG once (and got a DQ win later.) I’m not certain that pattern is gong to change.
CMLL (SUN) 02/19/2017 Arena México
1) Robin & Sensei vs Artillero & Inquisidor
2) Fuego, Magnus, Starman vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Metálico, Nitro
3) Eléctrico vs Pequeño Astro, Stukita, Fugaz, Aéreo, Pierrothito, Mercurio, Pequeño Violencia, Pequeño Universo 2000, Espíritu Maligno [CMLL MINI, #1 Contenders]
4) Ángel de Oro, Johnny Idol, Stuka Jr. vs Bobby Villa, Felino, Misterioso Jr.
5) Atlantis, Carístico, Máximo Sexy vs Cavernario, Ephesto, Mephisto
With Astral now starting in the main division, CMLL’s getting around to determining a new mini champion. It’s the “final two move onto next week” format; they really ought to put that 02/26 show on VOD if they’re determining a champion. It’s an odd 10 person field for having a few non-DF guys while not all the usual minis are in it. Acero, Fantasy, Pequeno Nitro, Ultimo Dragoncito and Shockercito are among those not in (and yet Violencia and Universo are there.)
Remember how Mini Psicosis went 3 years between AAA TV matches? Espiritu Maligno is going 12 years between Arena Mexico matches. La Mascara, Shocker, Olimpico, Rey Bucanero, Ultimo Guerrero and Terrible are the only guys still in CMLL today who were on that card. Pequeno Aereo is likely Astro (Astro Jr.) from Puebla, who’s look good. Still a little surprised he got picked ahead of Mini Joker. Fugaz (Facebook) is from Guadalajara, wrestling for only 10 months, and in matches which wouldn’t make TV even if we could get the Guadalajara TV. He did win rookie of the year in the arena. He’s probably the son of 90s Guadalajara luchador el Brujo, since they teamed in a father/son tournament, and Smaker & Sky Kid appear to be his cousins.
CMLL (SUN) 02/19/2017 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Avispón Negro Jr. vs Quca
2) Cosmos & El Alteño vs Relámpago & Thunder Boy
3) Mágico & Reycko vs Linterna & Mr. Brisa
4) Explosivo, Metatrón, Neutrón vs Demonio Rojo, Difunto, Gran Kenut
5) Flash II, Star Black, Vaquero Jr. vs Frezzer, Furia Roja, León Blanco
Main event has the winner of yesterday’s cibernetico (Star Black) against the losers of the hair match (Frezzer & Furia Roja.)
CMLL (SAT) 02/11/2017 Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Bengala & Leono b Akuma & Sangre Imperial
Sangre Imperial was a rudo for unexplained reasons. Tecnicos took 2/3.
2) Arkángel de la Muerte, Nitro, Sangre Azteca b Flyer, Magnus, Sensei
Rudos took 1/3.
3) Misterioso Jr., Sagrado, Skándalo DQ Blue Panther Jr., Fuego, The Panther
Sagrado was DQed for unmasking Blue Jr.
4) Ángel de Oro, Atlantis, Mistico b El Cuatrero, Máscara Año 2000, Sansón
tecnicos took 2/3
5) La Máscara, Pierroth, Rush b Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
Ingobernables took 1/3, Rush sneaking in a foul on UG. UG wants a singles match next week.
A show! CMLL’s Twitter has a habit of not publishing the result of the main event (guessing because these shows are so boring that they’re in a hurry to get out of there and forgot about it.) The main even result here only appears on the website, and there’s no Sunday results here because of the same thing.
CMLL’s running their annual features on the legend being honored at Homenaje a Dos Leyendas, with the first video on Villano III. You’ll see this all week on the streams.
Amapola says she was surprised but is honored to get the chance to work in Ring of Honor, and she and Marcela will will represent Mexican women’s wrestling well.
Los Reyes del Biutful interviewed Penta el Zero M in a podcast posted today. LigerFever and therealfredo translating a lot of it. Of note to Lucha Underground fans, Penta says the company is the best he’s ever worked for, he’ll be present for whatever they need him for, he has no problems with Lucha Underground and he’s 100% sure he’ll remain with them.
Penta noted AAA gave him the opportunity, but it was him who made the most of it. He feels he represented AAA well wherever he went, and they did not do the same for him. He claims 7 out of 10 indie promoters he’s talked to have said they don’t want to work with AAA. Penta felt now was his peak moment and he had to make the most of it. Penta says he knew Daga & Garza were unhappy, but had no idea they were showing up that night. He hopes AAA adds strong luchadors to the the Perros del Mal so it can continue on, but his group had decided to not use the name after their first appearance.
Penta says he found a good lawyer, and he’s registered his name, his new gold/black mask, and even his tattoos. Fenix & Garza came up with La Rebelion and Garza has registered that as well. Penta says almost no one knew he was going to be there, he only told his wife and the Crash promoter (and not Konnan.)
Penta says he has not had any contact with WWE, and would want to go straight to the main roster if he was invited there. He feels he’s too old to go to NXT and doesn’t want to be wrestling past the age of 45 anyway.
SoloWrestling interviewed Zorro, which LigerFever also translated. There’s a lot of talk about his career and the different ways his character changed during his time in AAA. Zorro liked being able to play different roles in the ring, and wanted to continue that out of the ring by working on the production side. (It reads like some work on creative and maybe other things behind the scenes.) Zorro says Joaquin Roldan agreed to it, but they never followed thru with it. He decided to leave AAA about a month ago, but had been thinking about it for about five years. There’s a lot more in that article.
Penta was supposed to wrestle earlier today for What Culture Pro Wrestling, facing Drago on an iPPV. WCPW announced that Penta was pulled from the show for personal reasons. Penta’s Facebook doesn’t mention any specific issues, but talked in generalities about blockages and bickering. It’s unlikely AAA would’ve been OK with Drago wrestling against Penta (or any of the Rebelion guys), but it’d be surprising if a promotion went with AAA over Penta in this moment. Drago ended up facing and defeating Hijo de Dos Caras, who was there with Alberto.
What Culture earlier in the day announced the Mexican tournament in their World Cup. It’s scheduled to be held in Coventry, England (not Mexico), on 04/30 with Alberto, Rey Mysterio, Caristico, Penta, Rey Fenix, Hijo de Dos Caras, Drago and El Ligero (who is English but plays a Mexican character.) Two men from each group advance. I hope they have back up plans for the lineup. Drago and WCPW would have a tough time convincing AAA to let him work the tournament; they might be able to pull it off if he’s never in the same ring with Fenix & Penta, but even that’s not a sure bet. CMLL probably has less control of Caristico, but would be just as much as opposed to the idea of him being on the same show as an AAA guy and doesn’t seem friendly to the Rebelion group either. Even if they do get them all in, at least one out of Rey, Alberto and Caristico has to lose, likely to each other, and that’s going to be an issue in itself. Penta did say he’s in the tournament in his interview.
In other news with Alberto and promotions that seem like risky ideas, the DistroMania shows he’s headlining will run from May 19th to May 28th.
Black Terry Jr has photos from the WMC show (where I need to find results for the women’s opener to finish it off.) The ropes broke three separate times on the show and the canvas looked to be 50% duck tape and 50% fraying fabric. You’re not going to have a good show or have wrestlers who want to work for you under those conditions.
PowerBomb.TV launched Saturday. MedioTiempo wrote it up. I’ll write more tomorrow, because I’m way behind tonight.
A LA Park promo announced the formation of the 1000th different promotion in Mexico. This one’s called Baracal, debuting sometime in March.
Atomic Boy says doctors told him he’d never return to wrestling. He talks about his injuries – I think an arm one in there – and says he felt he return because he was young enough to heal. Hopefully he gets a full year in.
RobViper has highlights of 04/13/16 CMLL.
LuchaWorld has the latest news update.
There’s video of Sangre Chicana Jr.’s plunge into fire here. The fire is supposed to go out when he hits the table, but instead engulfs them because they did a fire spot without having any idea what they were doing and no one with any sense told them no.
Lucha Memes (SUN) 02/19/2017 Coliseo Coacalco, Coacalco, Estado de México
1) Corsario Negro Jr. & Drako vs Totem I & Totem II
2) Baby Star & Black Metal vs Demasiado & Diva Salvaje
3) Alas de Acero & Iron Kid © vs Dragón Negro & Sádico [EdM TAG]
4) Astrolux vs Demus 3:16
5) Belial vs Virus
6) Hechicero vs Ronnie Mendoza
7) Aramis vs Yoshi Tatsu
8) Black Terry & Negro Navarro © vs El Cuatrero & Sansón [Arena Coliseo TAG]
Full card with the two title matches. The main event is one of the additions. It’s a clash of styles, but feels like something where CMLL could actually regain the belts. Cuatrero & Sanson are about the level of guys who normally should have these belts, though it’d be disappointing if Terry & Navarro lost without every actually making it to Arena Coliseo. The Mexico State tag titles are the other titles on the line. I think there’s at least three different championships being called the Mexico State tag team titles, but these mean the most because people might actually know who Alas de Acero & Iron Kid are.
Astrolux vs Demus is listed as “the great opportunity.” It is in fact a great opportunity for Demus to murder a small child. There’s going to be nothing left of Astrolux beside a pony tail.
IWRG (SUN) 02/19/2017 Arena Naucalpan
1) Voltar vs Power Boy
2) Cadillac & Kanon vs Acero & Picudo Jr.
3) Aramis, Freelance, Pantera I vs Cerebro Negro, Súper Mega, Yakuza
4) Apolo Estrada Jr. vs Relámpago
5) Veneno vs Danny Casas
6) Hijo De Dos Caras & Hijo del Alebrije vs Diablo Jr. & Pirata Morgan and Emperador Azteca & Máscara Año 2000 Jr. and Black Dragón & Pantera I and Herodes Jr. & Hip Hop Man and Imposible & Mr. Electro and Demonio Infernal & Negro Navarro and Dragón Fly & Villano IV [El Protector]
7) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [El Protector, quarterfinal]
8) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [El Protector, quarterfinal]
9) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [El Protector, quarterfinal]
10) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [El Protector, quarterfinal]
11) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [El Protector, semifinal]
12) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [El Protector, semifinal]
13) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [El Protector, final]
El Protector is IWRG’s novato/veteran tournament. You’re smarter than me if you can figure out how Imposible and Emperador Azteca still count as young guys. Too much tournament lucha going on (though these tend to be longer matches because IWRG tends to be longer matches.)