Angels/Rush vs Azteca/Japan was really ordinary, and the main event was really not interesting comedy. It’s not that entertaining to see Maximo & Porky do the same bits every week, trust me on this. This is a show that I wouldn’t be watching if it didn’t come to my TV for free (and I wasn’t this strange.)
In opposite order for reasons which will be come obvious
Místico, Strong Man, Valiente vs Terrible, Texano Jr., Volador Jr. – Cesar accused Volador of being a Payaso during this match, and I disagree. The Payasos I know are either funny or undefeated and Volador was neither. This was all Volador refusing to fight Mistico (fair) and refusing to fight Strong Man (at all – completely derailing the match.) If there was a section of Volador being awesome with Valiente, that might have worked, but not this time. This was not very satisfying at all.
I remembering thinking this wasn’t as bad as I thought after watching it. Later, going back thru the report, I noticed how many times I caught a blown spot or something gone wrong, and I wasn’t even writing them all down. This was not historically bad, but this really wasn’t a match that was Arena Mexico level. New wrestlers, whoever they are, need to work in front of an audience to get better, but most of the guys are having these matches in smaller arenas and aren’t committed to tape. Wish this one wasn’t either.
The news that Estrellita is coming in wasn’t a surprise on Thursday, but that she’s coming in as a ruda in perplexing. It makes sense for the Invasors story, but it doesn’t work once you add her to matches. She never got a lot of consistent work while I’ve been watching AAA, but she always seemed an OK tecnica, and CMLL really could use some of those. If you split up the women’s roster between “women who can have good matches”, “women who will not mess up the good matches” and “women who need a lot more work”, it’d look like this:
rudas tecnicas Amapola Marcela Princesa Sujei (Lady Apache) (Hiroka) Dark Angel -------------------------------------- Tiffany ?? Princesa Blanca Estrellita ?? La Comandante (tumbleweeds) Mima Shimoda La Seductora -------------------------------------- Seuxis Estrella Mágica (?) Yezka Dalys la Caribeña Lluvia Goya Kong Luna Mágica Star Fire ?? Silueta ??
There’s a drop between the top tier CMLL women and the Magica/Dalis group. It’s even bigger at the moment, because Lady Apache won’t be back until next year, and Dark Angel just missed a month and is probably going to be busy with TNA. CMLL really could’ve used a tecnica Estrellita – and a tecnica Tiffany! – to help lead the girls who aren’t ready thru this matches, but instead we’re getting more of a feud that sure seems to have peaked already. (Which is another reason 10/15 is too late, but this seems like an odd place for Charly Manson/Negro Casas commentary.) CMLL can’t even just turn someone else – La Comadante, Mima and Blanca are associated with rudo groups and it doesn’t make sense to split them up, and Seductora is probably not going to set anyone’s world on fire as a tecnica.
Any match that doesn’t have Marcela or Dark Angel in it will be bad, and they can’t be in every match. And even if one of them are, you’re still starting with two people who are going to be not ready for primetime, no matter who they’re facing. There was a point where CMLL had a consistent amount of good matches out of it’s women’s division, but that ain’t happening again any time soon.
One of the essential differences between the big two companies is AAA focuses on the big picture and forgets a lot of the details, and CMLL works more in the details while giving the main picture a push every so often and hoping the momentum carries it farther. When AAA has problems like too many people on the wrong side, it still needs to be fixed, but I expect them to have those problems. CMLL not thinking things thru is a bit more concerning.
CMLL (TUE) 09/28 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Fuego en el Ring]
1) Angelo & Thunder Boy b Acertijo & Templario
2) Ángel del Mal & In Memoriam b El Divino & Idolo
3) Black Metal & Leo b Drago & Ebola
4) Blue Panther, Máximo, Sagrado b Dragón Rojo Jr., Euforia, Último Guerrero
5) La Sombra b Mr. Águila
Main event was said to be very good. Sombra won clean.
Acertijo was hurt in the opener.
Gossip story of the day involves Bracito de Oro. The story varies slightly depending on where you read it, but it seems like there was a CMLL Anniversary party last night, a fight between luchadors broke out, Bracito de Oro was clocked in the head, bled a bit, and passed out on the street. Medical personal helped him, police were involved in breaking up the fight, and the story got out to a lot of people. No mention of any one else involved.
CMLL announced ticket prices for CMLL’s 10/15 Negro Casas vs Charly Manson hair match. They’re running from 30 pesos to 400 ($2.3 to $32), so not a lot of increase. The article says those to will only meet once more before their hair match, so maybe they won’t be on the card next week?
The article also mentions CMLL will be running a major show on 10/12 in Guadalajara. It’s a holiday, but I wonder who else is running in Guadalajara that day.
NJPW’s President Sugabayashi and Tiger Hattori are in Mexico thru Friday, to check out the shows and talk with CMLL and plans for 2011 (including the 01/04 dome show.) They say they’re happy with the luchadors who’ve come over to Japan, and want to give chances to more wrestlers, as well as send new people to Mexico.
In other talent exchanges, yesterday’s Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported on Jeff Jarrett’s meetings with AAA. Zorro was offered a TNA contact (which would probably allow him to continue working in AAA, just like Hernandez). TNA was interested in Jack Evans, Extreme Tiger and other high flyers. AAA was interested in bringing in the Motor City Machine Guns, who were previously in Mexico when TNA & CMLL had the deal.
The WON also said Extreme Tiger is being pushed because “he’s so over with the live crowd.” True?
Dos de Tres’s facebook announced their editor is the guy running Mi Lucha Libre. In case you were wondering why that site writes about AAA, IWRG, DTU, WWE and never CMLL. Actually, I feel better knowing that, because I was going to accuse them of working for AAA because they just seemed to put up AAA press releases, and then I realized it meant I’d have to suggest a half dozen other sites of doing the same thing.
Konnan’s Heroes del Ring bio is so great. Really hard not to quote it all.
But truth be told, the same people who hate Konnan also secretly admire his boldness and strength.
A master of chaos, Konnan specializes in the art of soulless humiliation in order magnify the destructive consequences of his powerful assaults.
Wow. Anyway, I preordered the game yesterday at GameStop and was told I do not get to select a mask before hand, but just get to pick from whatever they send. If I get stuck with the Elegido mask, I’m just not getting a mask.
LuchaWorld has KriZ’s news update.
- Halloween writes about his match with Nicho & Lider.
- Tony Rivera talks about leaving CMLL and joining AAA
- DJ Spectro says Monterrey luchador Kasak passed away earlier this month.
- Los Perros beat Los Bizarros in Arena Aficion. Cibernetico needs a stronger group.
- Mi Lucha Libre explains new IWRG wrestler Titan changed his name to Christian because someone else already owns the name Titan. There was a Titan in CMLL in the early 90s and there’s currently one in Arena Aficion (maybe the same one)
- Rubber Guard Radio’s 3rd Anniversary show includes an appearance from former AAA star Vandal Drummond
- Ohtani’s Jacket continues checking out classic AAA matches.
CMLL (TUE) 10/05 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Tondar vs Titanio
2) Astaroth & Hierro vs Ángel del Mal & In Memoriam
3) Black Metal & Palacio Negro vs Exterminador & Malefico
4) Fabián el Gitano, Metro, Rush vs Shigeo Okumura, Vangelis, Yoshihashi
5) La Sombra, Místico, Rotoporky vs Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto
Okay, that’s a GDL episode I should just skip out on recapping. (Unless I get the web feed recording to work.)
CMLL (TUE) 10/05 Arena Mexico
1) Freesbe & Principe vs Cholo & Semental
2) Astral, Pequeño Olímpico, Shockercito vs Pequeño Universo 2000, Pequeño Violencia, Pequeño Warrior
3) Fuego, Sagrado, Stuka Jr. vs Demus 3:16, Pólvora, Virus
4) Atlantis, Dragón Rojo Jr., Último Guerrero vs Héctor Garza, Mr. Águila, Olímpico
5) La Máscara vs Volador Jr. [MEX LH]
Olimpico’s already a rudo in Puebla, but still on the tecnico side here.
It really is like someone realized they ought to have been teaming Fuego & Stuka up once that tag team tournament was announced. They’ll probably team up much more after they lose the titles than they have in the last six months.
I believe Mascara vs Volador will be better than Mistico vs Volador.
I’ve watched no TV from this past week yet. I’ve watched all the TV from last week (+ a recap of the main CMLL show) but they recaps are in various unfinished states. And I need to write a preview for Verano de Escandalo, probably with a Perro Jr. vs Mesias poll for my friend on Twitter. Hmmmm. Still doing a chat on Friday, probably need to do a post on that seperate soon.
AAA-US: Verano sort of rematch – Ciber/Mesias/Park vs Damain/Halloween/Perro + a minis title match.
52MX: Assuming they’re actually sticking with the new split, this show gets Los Tigres Negros + a women’s match
LATV: An unaired minis match should air here
GDL: Invasors vs Shocker/Mascara/Maximo + Fantasma/Rush vs Ephesto/Vangelis. I’m probably not going to like this show.
CMLL: Mistico’s favorite feud (Pesta Negra vs Invasors) continues on. Lyger faces Strong Man, goes home. FWIW, Strong Man indicated on his Twitter that he was heading to NJPW for the G1 Tag Tournment, the same one CMLL mentioned Texano and Terrible are in.
AAA-MEX: remaining matches from the last taping – Milita vs Crazy/Brazo/Gato, Stones vs Aero/Laredo, Wagner/Tiger/Jack vs Halloween/Damian/Park
CMLL-FOX: Liger’s last appearance on this show for a while, plus Mistico/Strong Man/Sombra vs Niebla/Terrible/Texano in a match that will seem familiar.
Puebla: not on the TVC Deportes next Monday. Did it air last week? Don’t see it on the usual YouTube palces.
Perros: down to the final two matches; mixed tag with the women and the Air Force/Pimpi vs Bestia/Pesadilla/Ragde
IWRG: Matches which have yet to occur! They’ve been showing top 3 here usually, which means the Freelance/Comando Negro feud doesn’t air and the pointless looking Apaches vs Random People From Japan does. That doesn’t seem to fit well with what IWRG’s trying to sell.
CMLL-TFN: more Warrior vs No Limit, Sombra/Dorada/Volador vs Hijos de Averno and Misterioso vs Maximo
IWRG (SUN) 09/26 Arena Naucalpan [The Gladiatores]
1) Guizmo & Volaris b Fly Star & Guerrero 2000
2) Jack & Super Halcon Jr. b Epidemia & Nemesis
3) Dinamic Black, Eragon, Freelance b Carta Brava Jr., Comando Negro, Magia Negra
4) Billy Boy, Decnnis, Espíritu b Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro
5) Monster Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown DQ Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro
Psycho Circus won the first fall, Oficials won the second, and Psycho Circus faked a foul from Oficial 911. Aw.
The Jr. Dinamitas/Bobby Lee Jr/Scorpio/Scorpio Jr. match went missing and most of the undercard switched around as a result. Militia was all over Dr. Cerbero in the semifinal, mad about him not joining. Team AAA won the first, Terrible Cerebros won fall two. In the third, Cerbero Negro got Billy Boy with the Cerebro Driver, Decnnis evened it up with a martinete on Black Terry. Cerbero Negro went to return the favor on Decnnis, but the referee broke it up. Dr. Cerbero lifted Decnnis up for one instead, but Dr. Cerbero changed his mind and let him down. Cerbero Negro was shocked and rolled up for the loss.
Freelance and Comando Negro used a fork on each other in their match. Freelance got the pin and asked for a singles match before the hair/mask match.
Our old friend Dos Caras Jr. has been in Mexico the last few days, as Alberto del Rio, to prove the upcoming WWE tour. In an interview with Notimex, Dos says a lot of Mexicans could make it in WWE if they have conviction and, first of all, learn English. (Dos is right on that last part.) Dos says you have to adapt to their style and it’s very hard to do, but it’s price for success. Dos notes one luchador was famous in Mexico came to WWE and “failed in a firm way” and another decided at the last minute to come because they were too frightened. Dos was also on Tercera Caida and made the same comments, and everyone figuring the frightened guy was Mistico (which may be WWE’s verison – the contract thing probably was/is an issue.) The luchador who was famous in Mexico but failed is likely Ultimo Dragon, which would also be a WWE version because he did pretty okay for himself in WCW. Dos says he plans on wrestling in the US 8 more years, and then retire as the biggest Mexican wrestler ever. It’s good to have dreams.
CMLL (TUE) 09/28 Arena Mexico [Fuego en el Ring, @cmllmagazine]
1) Rayo Tapatío I & Rayo Tapatío II b Apocalipsis & Disturbio
2) Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Warrior, Pierrothito b Bam Bam, Eléctrico, Último Dragoncito
3) Fuego, Metro, Stuka Jr. DQ Arkángel de la Muerte, Loco Max, Skándalo
4) Héctor Garza, Olímpico, Ray Mendoza Jr. b Hijo del Fantasma, Rotoporky, Toscano
5) La Máscara, Místico, Strong Man b Averno, Mephisto, Volador Jr.
Mistico had a quiet night, at least in the ring. Volador feuding with La Mascara instead, and La Mascara caught him with La Camapana for the win. Mascara challenged Volador to a title match, and they agreed to it for next Tuesday (Fan Appreciation show.)
Skandalo is a terror lately, ripping off Metro’s mask here. Good to see Fuego & Stuka getting their teamwork back together before their title defense.
Ultimo Dragoncito replaced Tzuki. He lasted two matches this time.
An AAA article hyping up Fabi’s Mixed Title match is currently mislabeled as “Fabi Apache, for the cruiserweight title” – yes, let’s do that too.
Rob has thoughts on a lot of TV, Mistico, and the Coliseo Tag Tournament.
- Chris Stone threatens to beat Super Fly in Friday’s eight man mask/hair match; he still needs to avenge Super Calo! I totally forgot about that, but that’s a great reason.
- Also on Mi Lucha Libre, Perro Aguayo vows to send Mesias back to Puerto Rico. I don’t know that’s a real threat.
- R de Rudo has a video report on the IWL shows.
- Estrellas del Ring has a video interview with Zumbi
- Heroes del Ring bio of the day: Psycho Clown. I’ve got to go pre-order this today.
- Mr. Trueno breaks down his title win.
- The Gladiatores talks to Carta Brava Jr. about his career.
CMLL (MON) 10/04 Arena Puebla
1) Blue Center & Centella de Oro vs Centauro de Fuego & Mr. Rafaga
2) Metálico, Metatrón, Sensei vs Apocalipsis, Disturbio, Inquisidor
3) Bam Bam, Eléctrico, Shockercito vs Bracito de Oro, Pequeño Olímpico, Pierrothito
4) Máximo, Rush, Valiente vs Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto
5) La Máscara, Máscara Dorada, Místico vs Atlantis, Mr. Niebla, Último Guerrero
Bracito de Oro on the side of the rudos? Yes. Apparently he turned Monday night after he and Shockercito had problems in their loss. Pierrothito is claiming he masterminded the turns of Mini Olimpico and Bracito. I don’t know about that, but I do know we have two guys without masks now feuding (Shockercito/Bracito) so all we need is a masked guy to feud with Olimpico, and Electrico is in this match…
- Mistico – just read that post again
- AAA announced it’s lineup for Heroes Inmortales. Perro Aguayo Jr. vs Mesias and Silver King vs Dr. Wagner Jr. have been billed as the headline matches, but most of the creative energy seems behind the Team AAA vs La Sociedad War Games match and Cibernetico’s believed rudo turn.
- CMLL announced Rey Bucanero & Negro Casas vs Charly Manson & Mr. Aguila in a hair match. Then they announced Negro Casas vs Charly Manson in a hair match for 10/15. Then they announced Mr. Aguila vs Rey Bucanero, maybe. No one notices.
- Volador won the Bicentennial Tournament, which may be a contributing factor in the opener
- Perros del Mal ran another show in Mexico City, featuring Booker T debuting, turning rudo, and joining Los Perros.
- Jushin Lyger leaves at the end of the week – without having been beat by either new star, this time – and Taichi returns to take his place.
Around 2:30pm CT today, Record posted a story claiming Mistico had talked to Marisela Pena & Dorian Roldan about appearing at Heroes Inmortales. A half hour later on Twitter, Dorian Roldan refuted the story, saying AAA had not met with Mistico.
Record has been the source on all the recent Mistico/CMLL issues: the original Mistico complaint, a story about a big roster meeting which included a quote from Averno (not on the website), Panico refuting Mistico’s comments, Volador & Sombra accidentally confirming some of them by refusing to say anything, and Psicosis firing back at Mistico. The most recent article read like it came from Mistico’s side to send a message to CMLL even before Dorian shot it down, and it’s clearly one now.
Mistico is scheduled to work tonight’s main event in Arena Mexico. That’ll be fun.
CMLL (MON) 09/27 Arena Puebla [Fuego en el Ring]
1) Asturiano, Black Tiger, Tigre Rojo Jr. b Fuerza Chicana, Sauron, Siki Ozama Jr.
2) Pequeño Universo 2000, Pequeño Violencia, Pierrothito b Bracito de Oro, Fantasy, Shockercito
3) Fabián el Gitano, Rush, Valiente b Demus 3:16, Misterioso II, Sangre Azteca
4) Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Volador Jr. b Máscara Dorada, Místico, Toscano
5) Jushin Lyger b La Sombra [CMLL MIDDLE]
Sounds like Lyger won clean, and probably with the brainbuster judging from Sombra’s post match neckbrace. Sombra shook Lyger’s hand and gave him credit for winning. Lyger’s not due to defend this title again this week, so he’ll be going back to Japan with both it and the Universal title. No one’s confirmed it, but he should return around next year’s NJPW’s G1 and keep the middleweight title at least until next year’s Universal tournament.
Crowd was behind the rudos in the semimain, frustrating Mistico again.
Edit: Semimain corrected. Thanks Cecilia.
No word yet of who’s feuding with Bracito de Oro, but surely someone is.
indy (SUN) 09/26 Arena Solidaridad [Estrellas del Ring]
1) Black Soul & Titanik b Crazy Demon & Vudu
2) Corazon Adicto, Gato Volador, Metrosexual b Hijo de Espanto II, Potro Jr., Tigre Universitario
3) Rey Infernal, Salsero, Tigre Negro II b Ángel Espacial, Ricachona, Silver Star
4) Cats, Diluvio Negro I, Raiden b Hator, Monje Negro Jr., Vaquero Romo
5) Hijo del Ninja b Estrella Dorada Jr. [hair]
6) Bestia 666, Damián 666, Halloween b Axxel, Diluvio Negro I, Hijo del Misterioso
Main event was originally advertised as Axxel, Blue Demon Jr., Hijo de Rey Misterio vs Halloween, X-Fly, Perro Aguayo Jr. (and somehow Super Crazy was supposed to be here as well.) Maybe Misterio was supposed to be Misterioso (the one based in northern Mexico that argued with the CMLL one a while back) all along, and maybe they updated everyone on the Diluvio Negro I/Blue Demon switch a while ago, but that still leaves the Perros side. Perro never showed, and the report mentions both people waiting at the airport for them, and Damian explaining Perro was hurt in Guadalajara. Crowd was very angry about this switch.
This is the second show in a few days Perro Jr. has missed. Don’t have any reports of Perro Jr. wrestling in Guadalajara, but he still might have. I figure Perro Jr. still works Heroes Inmortales (and probably looking completely uninjured) but this is beginning a trend.
Semifinal had all sort of interference and heel referees and Ninja Sr. bloodied, but Hijo del Ninja picked up the ahir win.
NOAH officially announced (via puroresu representing) Jack Evans & Extreme Tiger‘s participation in their junior tag league, which runs 10/15 to 10/30. SuperLuchas had this a few weeks ago. Neither Jack nor Tiger are on Heroes Inmortales (at the moment…) Given that schedule and the TV dates AAA just announced, that means they’ll both be off TV for about a month and a half. Maybe less if they get home for the Halloween taping, but that’s probably pushing it. I have much less sense of how the NOAH/AAA relationship works as compared to NJPW/CMLL, but I figure Tiger/Jack to finish somewhere in the middle of the table, maybe a little lower than that.
In apparent return for that, NOAH’s GHC Heavyweight Champion, Takashi Suguira will defend his title on Friday’s GHC Heavyweight Championship on Friday’s show. (Again, via puroresu representing.) Unless there was stuff on this weekend’s AAA TV, there’s been no setup for this, no reason for anyone who follows AAA to know who this or care who this is, so it’s consistent on how AAA’s used NOAH guys this year. (AAA didn’t seem to mention this until I put a message on twitter last night.) NOAH’s not sending an opponent with him, as it’ll be a yet to be announced AAA guy – but with the card already out and everyone already in matches, the obvious guys (Mesias, Wagner) are busy. Chessman is back from his injury this Thursday in IWRG, so he’d seem like a possibility. Ozz might be one too. Whoever it is likely just to get squashed (no expectation they’re going anywhere with this), so they could put a cruiserweight in thereto be killed in entertaining fashion.
Too bad they said it was an “AAA” wrestler, or I might start talking about Takashi Sugira vs X-Fly battle of the heavyweight champions.
Villano IV worked an Apolo Dantes show in Guadalajara over the weekend, which means he’s probably not coming back to CMLL any time in the near future, as much as the article tries to push a mask match with Ultimo Guerrero or Atlantis. V4 says his son is into music, and not wrestling, but his older nephews may get into lucha libre (though they won’t be using the Villano name.)
Box Y Lucha #2993 has Negro Casas vs Charly Manson, and another story about AAA vowing legal action over the name “Psicosis”. That story doesn’t seem to be moving.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
- Hijo de Lizmark worked as an Invasor, filling in for Charly Manson, on a CMLL spot show this weekend.
- Heroes del Ring bio of the day: Zombie Clown. So great.
- AAA has a list of TV appearances to promote the video game.
- Starting next week, Negro Navarro will be teaching weekly classes at Arena Lopez Mateos every Monday afternoon.
- Sexi Star talks about her cut from her DTU match.
- AAA will be returning to Monterrey – but it’s only four guys in a 500 seat building.
- DJ Spectro writes about wrestlers from the 30s and 40s and the history of Hombre Bala.
indy (TUE) 09/28 Arena Aficion
1) Kayser vs Chester
2) Silencioso vs Templario
3) Brazo Metalico & Lupillo Rivera vs Anubis & Pendulo
4) Cerebro Negro & Killer Jr. vs Big Boy & Maldito Jr.
5) Bestia 666, Super Crazy, X-Fly vs Emo Xtreme, Punker, Stell Rock
I usually just file Arena Aficion lineups/results in the database, but the Bizarros suddenly reappearing and teaming up deserves extra notice at the moment. “Stell Rock” was here the last couple of Tuesdays, but it wasn’t until the other two showed up this week that I sure it was just another name spelling variation.
IWL (SAT) 09/25 Deportivo Tlalli, Tlalnepantla [IWL, R de Rudo, Estrellas del Ring, Black Terry Jr. (flickr)]
1) Dinastía & Tormento b el Lobo & Ojo Diabolico Jr.
2) Tiffany b Medussa [IWL WOMEN, semifinal]
3) Daga b Eterno, Aero Boy, Violento Jack, Mike Segura, Freelance, Fantasma de la Ópera, Narturo [TLC, IWL INTERNET]
4) Histeria II & Psicosis II b Pesadilla & Ragde [IWL TAG, quarterfinal]
5) Super Crazy b Charly Manson [IWL CONTINENTAL, tournament]
6) Damián 666 b Villano III [IWL WORLD, quarterfinal]
7) Canek b Heddi Karaoui [IWL WORLD, quarterfinal]
Canek vs The French Guy was an attempt at the old staple of Canek defeating a foreigner. Karoui was bloodied and lost to an armbar. Damian 666 had the large masked hombre sin nombre and got the win with a foul after a ref bump. Now that Mike09’s put together the brackets, it looks like they’re headed to a Blue Demon/Canek final.
Daga is champion of the internet, which I guess is a good thing? Veneno ran in on the match and might have become an official participant.
DTU (SUN) 09/26 Arena Lopez Mateos [MT, MT (2), Black Terry Jr. (flickr)]
1) Flamita b Ludark Shaitan, Muerte Bucanera, Sexy Lady, Tacuba
2) Zumbi b Hormiga, Tribal
3) Daga b Eterno
4) Dance Boy b Paranoko, Aero Boy, Violento Jack, Joe Lider [Copa Extrema]
5) Mari Apache, Negro Navarro, Trauma II b Fabi Apache, Gran Apache, Trauma I
6) Sexy Star & Tony Rivera b Chica Tormenta & Tigre Cota
7) Silver King b Crazy Boy
The main event started with Hijo del Pierroth (hopefully not a new one) in Silver King’s corner. He interfered, as did Aero Boy & Violento Jack to help out Silver King, Joe Lider ran in to help Crazy Boy, various Maniacos ran into help Silver King, the entire DTU roster ran into help Crazy Boy, and Silver Boy won somewhere along the line. This sets up Sunday’s battle of the promotions show with Lider & Crazy teaming.
DTU did not do the Apaches vs Navarros match, instead having Mari and Trauma I switch teams because the Navarros refused to wrestle women. BOOOOOOOOOO. Sexy Star’s match seemed to set up a rematch with Chica Tormenta. Undercard set up Dance Boy getting a title shot at Joe Lider and Zumbi also challenging Lider to a vale tudo match.
CMLL (SUN) 09/26 Arena Coliseo [@cmllmagazine, Avellaneda @ box y lucha foro]
1) Camaleón & Robin b Ramstein & Semental
2) Astro Boy, Fuego, Metálico b Disturbio, Puma King, Tiger Kid
3) Amapola, Mima Shimoda, Princesa Blanca b Dark Angel, Luna Mágica, Marcela
4) Averno, Jushin Liger, Mephisto b Hijo del Fantasma, Rush, Toscano
5) La Sombra, Místico, Strong Man b Mr. Niebla, Terrible, Texano Jr.
Mistico got La Mistico on Texano to take the main event.
Fantasma took a big powerbomb for the three rudos to take the loss, and looked in bad shape – they loosen his boots and gear, then took him to the hospital.
Blanca pinned Luna with her hands on the ropes to take the women’s match.
Tecnicos – with Fuego & Metalico replacing Sensei & Starman – won in straight falls. Puma was DQed for pulling of Fuego’s mask in the first, and Astro & Metalico picked up the win in the second. Puma & Tiger had issues after the match, but hugged it out. Puma pulling Fuego’s mask sure seems like a Arena Coliseo Tag Tournament final tease, but we’ll see.
Camaleon wore a Camaleon shirt. Most obscure shirt possible.
CMLL (SUN) 09/26 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Fuego en el Ring]
1) Meteoro & Relampago Azul b Cerveruz & Quca
2) Exterminador & Malefico b Gallo & Neutrón
3) Mr. Trueno b Virgo [OCCIDENTE MIDDLE]
4) La Máscara, Máximo, Rotoporky b Felino, Negro Casas, Rey Bucanero
5) Máscara Dorada DQ Jushin Lyger
Main event sounds bad – Dorada had a lot of errors and Lyger didn’t do much. Lyger fouled Dorada for the finish.
Mr. Trueno retained his title cleanly over Virgo, taking falls 2 and 3. Virgo gave Trueno credit for the win after the match.
Gallo & Neutron were swept and had issues during and after the match. No make up hug.
indy (SUN) 09/26 Arena Coliseo Monterrey [DJ Spectro]
1) Cavernario (fake) b Sexy Maciel [second’s hair]
2) Golden Boy, Lover Boy, Simbolo b Los Peluches Voladores [mask]
3) Pancho Tequila b Black Sabath [seconds hair]
4) Sangre Chicana & Sangre Chicana Jr. b Enfermero (fake) & Medico Asesino (fake) [mask]
The joke show that probably wasn’t meant to be a joke show, with people who’ve had masks for two weeks putting them up (and all losing.) No names, identities listed on the recap, though the pictures indicate they said something. They did switch it up by having the fake Cavernario Galindo win the opener. Poor turnout – DJ Spectro sees it as a product of recent violence in the area, but such a cynical ripoff lineup had to affect the house.
Unlike Volador & Sombra, Psicosis was willing to talk to Record about Mistico’s comments, calling Mistico selfish. Mistico was complaining the independents being given something – Psicosis says they’re not displacing anyone, they’re just being given an opportunity and they’ve come to work. Psicosis says the Invasors are good for everyone in the company, and aren’t treated special – he even was suspended from last Tuesday’s show for using the steps on Sunday.
Back story on that: Psicosis picked up the blue steps and tapped Rey Bucanero in the third fall. It wasn’t a big hit at all, but the referee immediately called for the DQ and the Invasors were confused. It didn’t look like it was designed to be the finish, and it sounds like that was the case. Histeria replaced Psicosis last Tuesday.
AAA has announced it’s October’s TV taping schedule (after Heroes Inmortales, of course)
- 10/18 (Monday): Tehuacan (Polideportivo la Huizachera, last here in August ’09)
- 10/20 (Wednesday): Actopan (Arena Actopan, taped here back in May)
- 10/31 (Sunday): Neza (Deportivo Metropolitano – new building for tapings?)
barely resisting the urge to campaign for a Halloween main event on Halloween.
This week’s SuperLuchas has Histeria III saying he thinks he’s still with AAA, but AAA isn’t actually returning his phone calls or giving him bookings at this point and he has no idea what’s going on. He’s still very positive towards AAA.
There’s also an interview with Hombre Bala, who explains the recent benefit show was to raise medical money for him – he’s got a fractured femur and hip and couldn’t pay for the operation or rehab, and will not be able to return to th ering. Hombre Bala confirms the (current) Monsther is one of his sons.
Rob breaks down the relative strengths and weaknesses of Dr. Wagner Jr. & Perro Aguayo Jr. as hall of fame candidates.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
- Perro Aguayo Jr. didn’t make an AAA spot show in Culican, and was replaced by both Hernandez and Damian 666.
- AAA is looking for fan sites to link to promote Heroes del Ring.
- Heroes del Ring bio of the day: Killer Clown.
- Speaking of, the Psycho Circus hyper their match with the original Payasos, and say they do NOT want to team with Cibernetico – he’s just leeching off their win streak to get himself over, they fell.
- Terrible & Texano says they’ll be going to Japan for 2.5 weeks. Also, they’ve never been defeated, just occasionally caught by surprise.
- Negro Navarro says there are luchadors he is a fan of who are fans of him. I can’t have read that one right
- El Pancracio’s official wrestler Pankratos debuted last weekend, beating Lobo Vikingo. Elsewhere on the same show, there was a wrestler actually named “El Novato”
- During the first fall of a show in Mexico City, a lucha commission representative stopped the match to make all those in the match who’ve lost their mask take them off. Since it was an atomicos with the Original Payasos, Black Shadow Jr., Super Brazo, el Audaz, and Climax, that was pretty much everyone.
- In Arena Juquilita, Stigma lost his mask – the recap actually has his name and age (17) but not a date for the show.
- Cesar notes differences between fans & “experts” views of CMLL and says AAA’s problem is too many stars
- Stuka moonsaulting to the floor appears in a school science text book, on the concept of gravity.
- SuperLuchas #383 has Cibernetico on the cover.
- Results from LWA Peru!
IWRG (THU) 09/30 Arena Naucalpan
1) Dinamic Black vs Magia Negra
2) Eragon & Freelance vs Carta Brava Jr. & Comando Negro
3) Chico Che, Dr. Cerebro, Tony Rivera vs Guerrero Negro, Oficial 911, Oficial AK47
4) Fabi Apache & Mari Apache vs Biba Kasai & Kitzune Nanuko
5) Chessman, Silver King, Último Gladiador vs Christian, El Mesías, Trauma I
Christian is probably the Argentinian guy who was just introduced with a quite different name, and not the current WWE guy who just hurt his pec. The only results for the (presumably Japanese) women the Apaches are facing are people reporting the lineup for this match, so either they’re really new, really obscured, or really misspelled.
Sunday is the battle of the promotions show.
CMLL (SUN) 10/03 Arena Coliseo
1) Metatrón & Tigre Blanco vs Cholo & Mortiz
2) Dalys la Caribeña, Goya Kong, Luna Mágica vs La Seductora, Princesa Blanca, Seuxis
3) Molotov & Sensei vs Euforia & Nosferatu and Durango Kid & Escorpion and Pegasso & Rey Cometa and Artillero & Súper Comando and Ángel de Oro & Ángel de Plata and Ángel Azteca Jr. & Guerrero Maya Jr. and Nitro & Skándalo [Arena Coliseo TAG]
4) La Máscara, La Sombra, Máscara Dorada vs Atlantis, Dragón Rojo Jr., Último Guerrero
Euforia and Nosferatu, who broke up almost a year ago (in a breakup that’s been less explained than Extreme Tiger vs Relampago), continue to team like nothing actually happened. Euforia has no less than four other partners to team with, plus Demus seems to be hanging out with them, and yet he’s still teaming with Nosferatu. “Serious and Stable”?
Anyway, that team & Nitro & Skandalo appear to be the rudo favorites in this block, while the main Angel team and Pegasso/Cometa seem like the best tecnico bets.
That’s the CMLL trios champions teaming up here too, facing a team that could be contenders. Would CMLL have Dragon Rojo challenge (and actually win) the trios titles with a trio that’s not actually the trio he’s supposed to be part of? Yea, quite possibly.
How do you suppose this works for TV? Last time around, they showed (clipped) tournament matches and an extra match. Since the show is only four matches, maybe one show will only show the tournament this time.
CMLL (SUN) 10/03 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Javier Cruz Jr. & Thunder Boy vs Nube Roja & Templario
2) Silueta vs Princesa Maya
3) Leo, Metal Blanco, Neutrón vs Infierno, León Blanco, Ráfaga
4) Gallo vs Felino [OCCIDENTE WELTER]
5) Hijo del Fantasma, La Máscara, Shocker vs Héctor Garza, Psicosis, Rey Bucanero
Oh! Felino’s done many things, but has ever been Western Champion of Welterweights? Not yet. Gallo is going in on a loss.