WWE SmackDown! - 07/03/03
- This show is a LOT easier to recap if you don't actually tape it, let me
- Results are a compendium of many sources (as a way out of crediting
- Vince promises to talk later!
- Rey Mysterio Jr. (c) vs Nunzio (w/FBI) in a Cruiserweight Title Match,
- the rest of the FBI interfere. APA come out to counter act
them, so there's still an issue there.
- Rey beats Nunzio with dropping the dime (slingshot legdrop) in 6:49
- Billy Kidman congratulated Rey in what seemed to be an
- Looks like that'll be an issue pre-Rey and Ultimo.
- Brock Lesnar (c) vs Kurt Angle is announced for Vengeance.
- Brock and Kurt compare title reigns, hit on a woman, and generally act
- the Basham Brothers (w/Shaniqua) vs Chris Benoit & Rhyno
- Best of three - Basham's got the win on SmackDown, Benoit and Rhyno on
- No one notes any tension between Benoit and Rhyno, so that may be
- Rhyno Gores Doug, Benoit Crossfaces Danny for the win (5:14)
- Post match, Shaniqua and Benoit exchange meaningful glances.
- Reports differ how much Benoit goes along with it.
- Might be something there. Benoit is into pain, after all.
- Stephanie complains to Vince about facing Big Show in the handicap
match main event
- Of note, Stephanie says that even Brock can't beat Big Show
- Sable assures Stephanie that if Steph is hurt, Sable will take care
- Jamie Noble and Nidia take a limo ride
- Jamie gives Nidia a genuine fake fur coat.
- Undertaker talks to Orlando Johnson
- Getting beat every week will get him respect, apparently
- But getting punked out after the match won't
- Orlando should challenge Cena to a rematch, according to Taker.
- Cena butts in to say Orlando really shouldn't, and Taker should
mind his own business.
- John Cena vs Billy Gunn (w/Torrie Wilson) in a US Title Tournament
- He raps. I guess I'll check later if John-Cena.net got it.
- Cena is winning...
- Undertaker bikes out. Cena watches him drive around.
- Inside cradle, Gunn wins. (5:53)
- I guess THEORETICALLY, feuding with Taker is better than winning a
- Reality has some major reservations, tho'
- Kurt and Brock fool around more backstage
- They're having a friendly push up competition.
- Like the match will presumably be.
- (until they learn to hate again)
- Anyway, Brock is first.
- Brock is at 300, but tired.
- He'll stop at 301.
- Kurt's turn.
- Kurt wisely backs out of the contest. He's a winner.
- Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin vs Eddie Guerrero & Tajiri (C)
for the WWE Tag Team Championship, 4th defense
- The tag team name I'm not a fan of may have become official here.
- Eddie and Tajiri are back to bringing in a lowrider.
- Maybe they just couldn't fit one into MSG.
- C&S control going into the break...
- Late, Tajiri gets the Tarantula on Haas.
- Eddie misses the Frog Splash on Shelton.
- Shelton superkicks Tajiri off the apron and into the lowrider.
- C&S win with a double team maneuver on Eddie. (15:35)
- C&S become the 6th WWE (SmackDown!) Champions, their second reign.
- Show threatens Zach backstage.
- Eddie hangs around in the ring after the match.
- Initially, it's worry about Tajiri, who's still down after hitting the
- But Eddie's more worried about the car.
- Well, it probably is a rental.
- Mr. America recap package
- Eddie is still around.
- He's mad at Tajiri for messing up the car.
- So he'll beat Tajiri with the car.
- I guess he figured he wasn't getting his deposit back anyway.
- Tajiri gets thrown thru the windshield.
- They're done as a team. On to a feud.
- That leaves Rhyno/Benoit and APA as potential challengers.
- Though one might guess Brock and Angle could team up before then.
- Tajiri is stretchered out.
- Orlando Jordan (already in the ring) vs A-Train
- Jordan manages to kick out of the Derailer.
- But he fails pray to the Train Wreck. (4:23)
- Show promises to Stephanie that he'll definetely try to kill her.
- Vince shows up to remind Show that Stephanie is his daughter.
- Vince comes to the ring with Sable.
- He shows after-SmackDown footage of Mr. America pulling off his mask
to reveal himself as Hulk Hogan.
- "You're fired!"
- Main event will be no holds barred.
- Big Show added to the Vengeance main event.
- Vince sticks around with Sable to watch the main event.
- Big Show vs Stephanie and Zach Gowen
- Zach manages the one leg dropkick early, but it's pretty much all
- Zach is taken out, and Show, with Vince's help and approval, teases a
chokeslam on Stephanie.
- Kurt Angle makes the save, anklelock on Show.
- Vince chairs Angle.
- Brock Lesnar makes the save, and goes for a F5 on Vince.
- Show breaks that up.
- Show goes for a chair shot, but Zach dropkicks it back at him.
- Angle Slam on Show.
- F5 on Show.
- Zach dropkicks Vince out of the ring, then hits a top rope moonsault
for the win. (4:45)
- Zach's got his contract.