WWE SmackDown! - 06/19/03
San Antonio, TX
- Recap of the end of Last Thursday's match to start.
- Hype for Big Show vs Brock Lesnar (c) for the WWE Championship
- The match is subtitled "Unfinished Business", which the
announcers push as tonight's theme.
- Undertaker (Houston, TX, 305 pounds) vs Nunzio (201 pounds, w/the FBI)
- The FBI, or at least Nunzio, has new music.
- Nunzio is the comedy, with the shadow boxing and stuff.
- This is right after Tazz hypes him as a tough guy.
- Undertaker ignores it.
- Nunzio offers Undertaker his leg.
- Taker makes a move towards him.
- Nunzio dives out of the ring in terror.
- Undertaker distracts himself into taking a Nunzio dropkick off the
- Nunzio goes from the back mounted sleeper, Undertaker walks around
with him and rams him in the post.
- Of course, he was all of two inches away from the post when he
- Nunzio is thrown back in.
- Undertaker waits for him. Goozle.
- FBI on the apron, Nunzio knocked into them.
- Back to the goozle - and tossing him to the floor on the FBI.
- Taker chant.
- Nunzio thrown in, tries to go out the other side. Taker catches up to
- Kick. Lifted up high and long so Nunzio can do perform Last Rites on
himself. Last Ride. (2:59)
- About as complete a squash as you could get.
- the FBI is once again unsuccessful in the post match attach.
- Even Johnny's forearm from behind doesn't work.
- A low blow finally does it.
- Undertaker is down for all of 15 seconds (and 3 stomps) before the APA's
music starts to play.
- the FBI actually get more stomps in while the APA are on their way to
- Bradshaw has dyed his hair blond.
- He looks like a bigger dumber Billy Gunn
- We're still calling the other guy Ron Simmons. Looks like the video
has been changed to reflect it.
- APA easily clear house. And they help Undertaker up, even though he
doesn't seem like he wants any help getting up.
- He's decently happy to see them anyway.
- Ron does most of the checking on Undertaker while Bradshaw does more
of the waving to the crowd.
- In the back, Zach Gowen talks to Spanky and Bill DeMott
- How is he backstage if he doesn't have a contract? Eh.
- After recapping last week, Zach gets directions to Stephanie's office.
- Zach knocks on the door with his cane.
- Sable answers.
- Zach says Stephanie sent for him.
- Sable says she's not here but Zach should wait here for her.
- Zach opts to wait outside, but Sable flirts him into staying in the
- Zach doesn't seem as much to fall for the flirting as to just go along
- Brock Lesnar/Big Show Timeline: Survivor Series, 11/17/02
- F5 on Show, and Heyman's turn.
- Heyman's turn is shown, but he's definitely downplayed in favor of Big
- Chris Benoit is out. And then Rhyno.
- No introduction for Benoit? Is he going to talk?
- No introduction for Rhyno? Are they going to talk?
- There's a referee, so this will be quite a talk.
- They act like they're teaming but Stephanie is out.
- She's got a new belt over her shoulder.
- Stephanie says Bad Blood was a pretty good PPV, so SmackDown will top
it at Vengeance.
- She segues into explaining this will be a singles match between the
two in the ring.
- This will be a first round match in the US Title Tournament. Right
- Chris Benoit vs Rhyno in the first round of the US Title Tournament
- The referee is kinda confused.
- They don't seem especially eager to have this match.
- Handshake, but then some words before letting go. They have to
be forced apart.
- Waiting for the announcers to remember they were a match in the last
tournament we had.
- Then again, I'm waiting for them to explain Bradshaw jumping.
- Crowd is so enthralled by this match, they start a Go Spurs Go chant
- And I lose the picture for parts of the next minute. Streaming issue?
- Anyway, as Rhyno and Benoit do mat stuff to start, announcers put over
the US Title
- according to them, it goes back to 1975 and Harley Race.
agrees; this is apparently the Mid-Atlantic version of the title
we're referring to.
- Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if WWE got it from the
- And they mention about 400 times that these guys are partners.
- First chop at 2:38.
- Rhyno posts his shoulder on a corner charge at about 3:00.
- Cole saying things are heating up = commercial about to happen. We go
3:11 before the break.
- Rhyno acts heelish as we come back, taunting the fans while putting on
a half crab.
- Cole presumes that Stephanie is still working on the brackets.
- Rhyno pulls out a snake eyes out of a powerbomb lift for a 2 count.
- Rhyno again taunts the crowd.
- Crowd chants for Benoit! He gets clotheslined anyway.
- Rhyno with a strolling shoulder slam for 2.
- Benoit breaks up the Rhyno run with a small package, but Rhyno kicks
up and hits a clothesline.
- Rhyno again with the crowd taunting. He's been in control since the
break, and we're hitting the chinlock at 3:20.
- Rhyno asks who the man is.
- Rhyno liking the chinlock. Two of then and a neck vice.
- Did Choida color his hair?
- Anyway, Benoit escapes but ends up back into the chinlock again. This
is quite the chinlock-rifiic.
- Rhyno does a good job of selling the chinlock and the crowd seems to
loose a bit of attention.
- Rhyno against cuts off a comeback, but a whip goes bad and Benoit's
- No, really, it looks blond on the top now. It must be catching.
- Benoit gets a near fall on a kickout.
- German is blocked by a ropes grab.
- Benoit turns, Rhyno hits the Concrete Crunch (spinebuster) but slow to
cover and gets a two.
- Short clothesline is ducked an there's your Germans suplex.
- Benoit goes for move #4, Swandive Headbutt. It hits. One two no.
- Rhyno with a kick DDT no one alive enough to cover.
- Rhyno misses the gore, but manages a running ax handle to the back.
one two he's not polish.
- Slam, Benoit drops behind, forearm, Rhyno comes at him with a
clothesline and gets locked in to the crossface.
- Rhyno has nowhere to go. (12:09)
- Benoit takes his time letting go.
- Yes, the first person in the US Title Tournament is Canadian. What do
- Benoit does help up Rhyno after a bit, but Rhyno shoves him away.
- Benoit wants a handshake, but we pull away.
- Sable flirts with Zach some more.
- Zach, having seen most of what Sable has to offer last week, isn't
- We recap that bit between them.
- Sable offers to let Zach feel.
- This happens right below the camera's range.
- Ultimo Dragon vignette
- The Spirit Has Awoken. His Pulse Grows Strong. The Journey Begins. In
Madison Square Garden. Ultimo Dragon. Coming Next Week.
- This vignette has a unique feel, instead of just being a Rey clone.
- Someone sure likes these nonsensical lyric teasers lately. Must be the
same people who did Kane's comeback.
- WWE Cruiserweight Champion Rey Mysterio (San Diego, CA, 185 pounds) vs
Kanyon (Queens, NY, 242 pounds, already in the ring)
- Chimel fails to announce this as non-title, but Kanyon's 22 pounds
over the limit.
- Kanyon is the KING of the anti-climatic returns to SmackDown.
- Are those new tights for Kanyon?
- Kanyon reverse an apron dive bodyscissors into a faceslam on the
- Tazz says Kanyon and Rey have fought before.
- COLE BRINGS UP THE VELOCITY STORYLINE. Kinda. Vaguely. In the
"good luck with the Monk stuff" sense
- Kaynon Move of the night - shoulder slam into a side back breaker.
- Alt Kanyon Move of the night: Slingshot reversed into a big northern
- Superplex attempt by Kanyon! He's going to break the ring!
- Rey luckily punches out of it, rides Kanyon down to the mat in a Thesz
- Announcers refuse to call it anything but a senton.
- Rey with a nice ropeflip moonsault for two.
- Kanyon with the electric chair faceslam! one two NO!
- Kanyon's going Suplex him on the apron, but Rey blocks him off.
- Rey blocks back to his feet, punches, and hits a guillotine legdrop on
the way back in.
- Kanyon lands in position. 619. West Coast Pop. (4:48)
- Seemed like they were trying to get Kanyon over with a high tech move
set and nothing else.
- Announcers lots more concerned with Rey in any case.
- Brock Lesnar/Big Show Timeline: Armageddon, 12/15/02
- Brock returns to F5 Big Show. Angle wins the title.
- Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas are out.
- They have new outfits (maroon and silver) and new music
- It's a color from each of their schools, Tazz explains.
- You can't chant You Suck to it.
- Ah, they're here to talk.
- Benjamin says they don't want back in Team Angle. It was the best
thing they ever did.
- Haas says Angle was holding them back.
- Haas says "we're the best damn tag team period"
- Haas starts to call out Kurt Angle for next week.
- Kurt Angle decides to come out this week.
- Kurt gets You Suck and USA.
- Kurt knows how to drag out a chant before talking.
- Perhaps he's really Mr. America.
- Kurt says maybe they're right about all those things they said.
- Kurt only takes exception to two words. The next week part.
- Shelton and Charlie start to explain themselves, and Kurt tells them
to shut up.
- They blame each other.
- Kurt says "next week" is for wimps, crybabies and is the
polite way of saying "we have no [bleep]"
- Kurt doesn't represent next week. He represents right freaking now.
- Right freaking now.
- C&H talk it over. Angle puts down his medals.
- Brian Hebner is out? This is gonna be a match.
- Charlie Haas vs Kurt Angle
- Angle outwrestles Haas to start.
- He looks okay, but it's a minute.
- Angle chants.
- Angle continues to dominate, but Haas manages to work his way into an
- Tazz pushes a "how much did he teach them" line
- Haas gets a run on basic stuff.
- Crowd very into Kurt.
- Kurt takes advantage on the next ropes sequence.
- Haas takes a slingshot to the floor.
- Announcers say "the Best Damn Tag Team Period" multiple
times, so I think that's what we're supposed to call them until FOX
calls their lawyers.
- Angle with a cross body! 2.
- Haas manages a kick and to throw Angle out.
- Shelton gets in a kick - thrown into the steps.
- Shelton plays innocent despite the loud banging noise.
- Hebner goes over there in shock and points to his ears.
- Brian ejects Shelton! He's missing Haas attacking Angle on the
- Working the hand probably says something about how safe they feel
about the neck so far.
- Wow, two matches interrupted for break? I don't know the last time
they did that. (5:16)
- Haas is still working over Angle as we come back.
- Angle starts with a comeback, but takes a shoulderblock
- The injury has been expanded to the whole left arm.
- Angle comes back with a monkey flip! Russian legsweep! Both men down.
- Angle getting in the punches. Whip, reversed, Angle back with a
- Clothesline. Clothesline. Corner whip, charge into a back elbow.
- Haas charges out into an overhead belly to belly suplex one two NO.
- Haas gets in a knee to stop him.
- Whip, reversed into the German suplex
- Straps are down. Angle Slam, Haas slips behind, clothesline misses,
German Suplex by Haas
- That was a near total back landing, though they hype neck issues
- Haas drops the straps.
- Haas Angle Slam but Angle armdrag out.
- Drop toe hold, anklelock but Haas turns and kicks him away.
- Haas misses a clothesline, Kurt with a kick, Angle Slam. Cover one two
- Fans were about 3 times more into this match then Benoit/Rhyno.
- Shelton back in and clotheslining Angle into the corner.
- Stomping Angle down and scaring Hebner off.
- Fireman's carry slam.
- Shelton gets Haas up. Finisher time?
- Yep - inverted atomic drop, superkick.
- Double anklelock! That's quite awesome.
- Brock Lesnar is out for the save. H&S get out in time.
- Brock Lesnar/Big Show Timeline: 10/31/02 - Show lays out Lesnar.
- Brock is chokeslammed through the table.
- Shouldn't this have been first?
- Not much of a timeline.
- Sable and Zach are kissing as we return.
- Apparently SmackDown is about to get into porno.
- It's that level acting!
- Sable loses her top away from the camera.
- Anyway, it turns out that Sable was just leading him out to turn him
- Really bitterly.
- Vince with the run in to scare Zach away.
- Ah, it was an evil Vince and Sable plan.
- Why exactly was it a Vince and Sable plan?
- Billy Gunn (265 pounds, w/Torrie Wilson) vs Jamie Noble (Hanover, WV,
200 pounds, w/Nidia)
- Billy has the old music but the BG entrance video.
- They're both wearing pink.
- Tazz says they're "really really really good friends."
- I don't know if I'm supposed to make something out of them saying
"there are RUMORS about their relationship" instead of
just coming and saying they're dating.
- But they do that a bunch.
- Jamie's whole entrance purpose is put over the better butt.
- Nidia's, not his.
- Tazz: "I think they both have phenomenal asses!"
- You know, Jamie's giving up about as much weight as Rey did.
- I wonder if they did anything to make sure the ring would implode this
- Crowd shows their appreciation for Gunn by chanting for Torrie and
- While getting his control of the match, Jamie asks what his name is.
- Jamie some how manages to give a jawbreaker to Billy's Famasser-ing
- Jamie works in his non-Trailer Hitch leg hold. Indian Deathlock I want
- Jamie uses the chops of pumping Billy Gunn back up.
- Jamie is making Billy look competent.
- Nidia grabs the leg on a Fameasser attempt.
- Torrie tacks Nidia, and they roll.
- Billy breaks it up, which kinda makes him a heel.
- Jamie tries a pescado, but Billy moves and Jamie goes to the floor
- Jamie tossed back in. Picking where we left off - fameasser, Noble
- DDT is blocked, there's the Fameasser. (4:14)
- Brock Lesnar/Big Show Timeline: 05/18/03 Judgment Day
- WWE Tag Team Champion Eddie Guerrero (El Paso, TX, 228 pounds,
w/Tajiri) vs Sean O'Haire (274 pounds, w/Roddy Pier)
- They have a lowrider SUV this time.
- Sean O'Haire is not announced from Parts Unknown.
- But I guess that mean his home town is now (just) Unknown.
- Last Thursday.
- Piper dears to lean on the SUV with a bottle of Tequila.
- Announcers say that O'Haire is "obsessed with championship
- I don't see this feud going good for the people with the low riders.
- So the fans manage to be in this because it's Eddie but I'm not.
- Sean O'Haire goes for a jumping spin kick, Eddie ducks and "hits
a dropkick to the knee"
- "" means it didn't seem to come close but they
embarrassingly sold it anyway.
- O'Haire punches his way into stopping a comeback, but Eddie manages a
- And a missile dropkick. Who does he think he is, Maven?
- Piper pauses him on the way to the Frog Splash.
- O'Haire rolls out of the way.
- Piper manages the Tequila Spit on Tajiri.
- Prophecy on Eddie. (3:12)
- Cole says the ring HAS been reinforced. Good.
- Sable and Vince are still gloating over fooling a 19 year old with sex
- Vince offers to thank Sable by having sex with her.
- That doesn't seem to be quite fair.
- EWWW they're kissing.
- Vince has a better idea? Better than having sex with Vince as a
- Ah, having sex with Sable while making fun of Zach as a present.
- Please someone stop this.
- Before Sable loses her top again, Stephanie finally shows up.
- She yells at Sable to get out.
- She yells at Vince for using her.
- Apparently Vince was pimping Stephanie out when she was 17.
- And she doesn't like being like Vince.
- Stephanie's giving Zach a contract and if Vince doesn't like it, he
can fire her.
- Maybe Vince will be losing the only person who looked up to him and
wanted to be like him.
- Wow, for hating him for pimping her out, she sure likes him a
- And the not-subtle dig on Shane.
- Therapy time.
- Stephanie storms out
- Vince gives us remorse for about 10 seconds.
- Next week:
- Undertaker/APA vs the FBI.
- Ultimo Dragon debuts
- Brock Lesnar/Big Show Time Line: Last Thursday
- Big Show (500 pounds) vs -
- Cole again says the ring has been reinforced.
- Big Show (500 pounds) vs Brock Lesnar (Minneapolis, MN, 295 pounds, c)
for the WWE Championship
- Brock goes to the top rope and dares Show to come up with him.
- Show moves towards him, so Brock jumps out over him and charges him
into the corner.
- About 6 minutes in, Show tries for the superplex, but Brock blocks it.
- Brock pushes him off. Is he going up?
- Show is up to his knees by the time Brock gets up, so they're not even
teasing the SSP
- Brock hits a flying clothesline.
- Brock goes for the F5 at 7:20, but is having problems keeping him up
and Show has the ropes.
- Benjamin and Haas in. DQ (7:27) but they're
- It's Show who gets in the chokeslam to turn the tide.
- Kurt Angle out for the save. Angle Slam on Big Show!
- Haas and Benjamin try him, and don't do much better.
- But again, they give time for Show to recover. Chokeslam for him.
- One more save - Mr. America. Wait, why is Mr. America here?
- He's got a flag mask.
- Show takes a while to realize who he's got behind him.
- America threatens to slam Show.
- Not Team Angle is on him to break it up, but he has no problem with
- For a third time, that gives Show an opening - chokeslam!
- This is the best "effective by being ineffective"
- Haas and Benjamin trash talk Angle.
- Show stands over America.
- That's it.
No one mentioned that this was (their) 200th episode. Odd.