WWE SmackDown! - 06/12/03
- This is technically the 200th episode of SmackDown
- I, and others, mark the first episode as the SmackDown special on UPN
- the WWE has either decided to ignore that the special ever existed, or
decided that any relation between the two is just a coincidence.
- So, they'll mark episode 200 next week - it's the 200th episode since
it became a UPN series.
- We start with a look at Rey's Journey
- Or at least him losing at WM, taking the stretcher ride at Backlash,
and the match last week.
- Rey's the 55th Cruiserweight Champion.
- Rey last held it on 08/19/99
- Open. Hype for tonight's main event. But we start with last week's main
- Rey Mysterio (San Diego, CA, 185 pounds, 1, c) vs Matt Hardy (Version
One, Cameron, NC, 220 pounds, 2) for the Cruiserweight Title (1st Defense)
- Shannon and Crash hype Matt up on the way to the entrance.
- Matt: "There is no way that Rey that could've beat Matt Hardy
if it wasn't for you two screwing up. [they blame each other] If it
wasn't for you screwing up, and if it wasn't for you screwing up,
you understand me? So tonight, neither one of you will going to the
ring with me.
- Punch for Shannon and Crash is run into a crate. Matt is ticked,
but walking to the entrance alone.
- Matt Fact: Matt is too handsome to wear a mask like Rey.
- Cole says Matt is using the return clause in the match contract
- Matt has his intense look on the way to the ring - no V1 handsignals,
no stalling so we can get in another fact, just sliding in the ring,
walking over to Rey, and then rushing him with a clothesline.
- Matt grabs the belt from Brian Hebner, and stares at it, transfixed.
- He misses Rey getting up - dropkick gets the belt free. Rey with right
hand, corner whip, reversed, Rey rebound into another corner whip, and
Matt with a corner clothesline.
- Matt goes right back to working the leg over the middle rope, to work
the groin muscle.
- Matt gives us Version One as he backs up, then charges into a drop toe
hold to the middle buckle. Matt misses a right, a left, and gets a drop
toe hold on to the middle rope.
- 619 is ducked, Rey grabs his groin slightly and Matt hits the Ricochet
one two no. Matt with punches to the head.
- Rey said on the top rope, facing out. Matt goes up to join him.
- Matt wants a reverse neckbreaker form the top rope, but Rey fights out
with elbows, turns, and hits a (Matt's on the) second rope bulldog to
- Replay. Rey's moving slow, perhaps hurt again. Rey with a right hands,
but Matt ducks one and hits the Side Effect one two NO.
- Cole suggests that the frustration might be starting to build for
Matt, but Tazz alertly points out that he's been acting like that since
the show started.
- Corner whip, Rey tries to kip up and out, Matt catches him for the
Side Effect, Rey hooks a bodyscissors on the way up, then spins around
into a sunset flip one two no. Matt is up in the corner, Rey charges,
Mat backdrops him to the apron. Rey with a shoulder.
- There's the springboard Thesz Press one two reversed one two NO.
- Both connect on a right hand, and they're both staggered. Matt gets in
- Whip, reversed, Rey goes for a leapfrog, Matt grabs the ropes to stop,
and Rey lands awkwardly, having hurt his groin.
- Matt waits for him to get up in position - the setup kick is
sidestepped, and Matt hits the middle rope instead.
- Rey with a dropkick to the back to knock Matt in position - quick
walking 619 connects.
- Springboard legdrop from the apron works.
- Tazz says it's "Dropping the Dime"
- One two NO.
- Rey with a whip, quick reverse into a kick, lift, Rey tries to punch
out of the powerbomb, so Matt tosses him backwards
- Rey manages to land on his feet on the middle buckle, but not securely.
- Matt with forearms, then lifts Rey off - Splash Mountain Bomb one two
NO! Matt can't believe it.
- Matt with punches, then he rips off his elbow pads again. It's time.
- Twi-no spun out, Rey ducks a clothesline, Matt jumps over a clip.
- Kick wham Twist- no Rey grabs the rope rope and Matt goes down
- Matt is out of it, as Rey goes to the rope - top rope 'rana one two
- I keep forgetting any 'rana using the top rope is considered West
Coast Pop, but the announcers remind me.
- This probably means Matt's done with the division - do they have an
over heel to replace him?
- Perhaps they'll get to that later in this show.
- It would be a bad idea to kill time till Ultimo is in.
- Piper's Pit
- Roddy Piper says it's an international edition, because they have
traditional (read: stereotypical) Mexican and Japanese stuff on the
- Why is Sean O'Haire's hair in a pony tail like that? Looks especially
- The guests are of course WWE Tag Team Champions Eddie Guerrero and
- They have another low rider car.
- Eddie says he's a great admirer of Piper.
- Eddie and Piper point out all the stuff on the table.
- Eddie wonders about something like a coconut to the head. Piper
assures him no.
- Piper says Sean O'Haire will be the next World Champion of anything he
wants, so why doesn't he let Sean hold his belt.
- Eddie is not in favor of that idea. And he's not changing his mind.
- Tajiri is distracted by the sushi. And trades his belt for the sushi.
- Eddie wants the belt back.
- Sean's not giving it back.
- Eddie takes off his belt and wants to go at him, but Tajiri stops him.
- Tajiri would like to drink first. Tajiri and Eddie talk about a plan
- Tajiri toasts Piper. Piper does not like sake.
- He doesn't like it even more when Tajiri spits it back at him.
- Belt shot for O'Haire. Tajiri gets his belt back.
- I fear the match they're setting up here.
- In Stephanie's office, Sable is using a laptop.
- Bet she's looking for porn.
- But she tells Stephanie that she's looking for Zach Gowen's contract
- It's Stephanie's computer, ah.
- Sable did find out that Stephanie is bringing back the US Title. Eh.
- Stephanie tells Sable that she doesn't trust her.
- Stephanie says she doesn't an assistant. Or Sable in particular.
- Don't try to play Stephanie. She ain't having it.
- I was waiting for Stephanie to say "I know you're here just so
Vince can keep tabs on what I'm up to", but she doesn't
- Odd, because they spell everything else out. Maybe they don't realize
that's the angle?
- Special Guest Ring Announcer for the next match: Torrie Wilson
- She's not very good as an announcer.
- But this is an angle anyway
- Announcers didn't know about this or the upcoming match.
- A-Train (Boston, MA, 350 pounds) vs Billy Gunn (265 pounds)
- A-Train is offended by Torrie's description of him as fat and having
- Usual chant for A-Train.
- Torrie flirts her introduction of Billy Gunn to make this oh so very
- Billy Gunn has his gimmick with the name (and music) they can't say on
SmackDown, which makes you wonder why he has it anyway.
- A-Train's whole offensive plan seems to be to hit the scissors kick.
- DeRailer is broke up, kick, off the ropes, fameasser. One two three. (1:26)
- Weren't they building up A-Train?
- Gunn is completely out of breath after 1:30 of action.
- I hope he's pretending.
- Torrie slaps Billy on the butt and invites Billy to do the same.
- Billy thinks it over. And does so.
- They're going to walk together.
- Earlier today, Brock Lesnar made it to the building.
- Through a carefully organized group of fans.
- Undertaker (Houston, TX, 305 pounds) vs Johnny Stamboli (w/FBI, 250
- Undertaker attacks Johnny as he comes in.
- He goes for the Last ride :30 in, but is distracted by the other two.
- Johnny dropkicks him out.
- Chuck tries to punk him out but can't and gets punked.
- Nunzio is nearly killed by Undertaker, but Johnny stops it. Twice
- Undertaker gives Johnny a Stunner over the top rope, which is kinda
- Undertaker's attention is totally on Nunzio, so he takes a Jungle
- Cole: "The people don't understand this - Johnny's a
- That says a lot of bad things about the announcers, as it's ALL
THEY EVER TALK ABOUT
- Johnny gets in a his run, but goes for the leap to the top rope
legdrop and it all goes bad.
- I was hoping he canned that.
- Johnny didn't blow it, Undertaker moves, but I always worry on
- Undertake should take up boxing, he's such the puncher.
- Chokeslam? No, used as a ram to knocks Chuck to the floor.
- Last Ride. One two three. (3:43)
- So one's left. Undertaker comes out of the ring to take care of it
- Nunzio starts to take off, Taker catches him, Chuck cuts him off.
- Chuck works over undertaker in the ring while Nunzio and Johnny
- Undertaker gets to beat up Chuck for a second week. Chokeslam.
- Taker goes for a Last Ride, but Nunzio gets him with a chair in time.
- Nunzio takes to long and taunts in the ring, but he does get out of
the ring before Taker pops back up.
- Zach Gowen helps Mr. America pump up
- He's lifting his cane like it's a weight.
- Mr. America gets all the lines.
- It's exciting ARM WRESTLING Time
- If you're counting wrestling time on this show, would this count?
- Stephanie is out first. Hype for the match.
- She goes to introduce Zach, but Sable shows up anyway.
- Sable starts to talk, but Stephanie yanks the microphone away from
- Zach Gowen & Mr. America are out. Zach gives us "nervous
- Tazz thinks Zach can't win. Cole thinks that since Mr. America is
here, he might have a chance.
- Vince McMahon and his pumped up physique come to the ring.
- Mr. America challenges Vince to an arm wrestling match.
- Vince proves he's not an idiot and wants to only arm wrestle Zach.
- Sable talks in his ear. She has a plan, I guess.
- Vince changes his mind. He'll arm wrestle Hogan/America.
- Two stips:
- The contract is not on the line
- Mr. America must leave if he loses.
- Mr. America, ignoring that he wins ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and that Vince
OBVIOUSLY HAS A PLAN, decides this is a good idea.
- Tazz and Cole decide this is a toss up.
- He deserved to lose for being that clueless.
- Vince sells like he's trying quite a bit better than Hogan does.
- Hogan's just hanging out here.
- Perhaps we're supposed to think he's not trying yet.
- Hogan gives Vince something that's pixeled.
- Hogan is winning, so Sable grabs the hands and accuses cheating of
- Stephanie threatens a DQ!
- Oh no! Not a DQ in an ARM WRESTLING MATCH! SCANDALOUS!
- Let's try this again. They'll go rigthy this time.
- Vince can't get it going. He's really red.
- Hogan is turning it.
- Vince looks at Sable, that's the signal.
- Sable flashes Mr. America.
- The hands completely block out what may or may not be visible.
- Everyone gives us shock
- Mr. America, distracted loses. (:27)
- Vince and Mr. America go head to head.
- Vince tells Mr. America to hit him, so Zach will never get a contract.
- Mr. America and Stephanie are asked to leave.
- Vince says Sable has the most beautiful set of eyes he's seen. She
- So that leaves Zach and Mr. McMahon. And the ref.
- Vince is surprised about how strong Zach is.
- Zach is wining for at time.
- Vince is almost winning.
- Then Zach pulls him back.
- This is bordering on surrealism. Or a Disney movie
- Vince can't shut up during this. He's accusing Zach of cheating now.
- He's almost there - so Vince kicks out his fake leg and easily wins. (:48)
- Vince is very proud of himself. This will look good on his resume of
- Vince asks if Zach is going to cry. And then tell him to get out of
- Vince: "I need athletes in here! Not some freak!"
- Zach limps to the back while Vince poses.
- Vince mocks Zach's walk.
- Backstage, Mr. America consoles Zach.
- I thought he was supposed to leave.
- Big Show interrupts to give Zach two words. "Forget It."
- Chris Benoit (Edmonton, AB, CA, 229 pounds) and Rhyno (Detroit, MI, 275
pounds) vs the Basham Brothers (w/Shaniqua)
- Cole trumpeted the Devils win.
- Announcers not that Shaniqua - who looks muscular and rail thin - is
Tough Enough 2 winner Linda Miles.
- Tazz ids the thing she's carrying as riding crop.
- Cole would like to know what Shaniqua's relationship is with the
- I'd like to know how I'm supposed to spell Shaniqua - we get no
graphic, or announcement of weights for the Basham's
- Cole says both brothers are the wacky brother, basically.
- Someday, we'll find out exactly how they're wacky, I guess.
- Hot tag to Benoit at 1:50.
- German. Swandive attempt is temporally stopped because of Shaniqua,
and the legal Basham moves out of the way.
- No problem, because Chris quickly puts on the crossface to Doug.
- Danny into to break it up.
- Rhyno makes it back in and it breaks down.
- Benoit is again distracted by Shaniqua, goes for a German on Danny,
Danny ducks and Rhyno punches Benoit.
- Doug with his own variant on leg DDT one two three. (3:23)
- 2nd week of the same thing, and Benoit isn't happy with Rhyno.
- They go forehead to forehead, but we go to break.
- In the back, Benoit yells at Rhyno
- Mr. Niebla says he a mistake, but Black Warrior is still ticked.
- Wait a minute, I'm getting my tag team breakup angles confused again.
- Anyway, Benoit says Rhyno needs to look at himself, and we all agree
this is Rhyno's fault.
- John Cena (West Newbury, MA, 248 pounds) vs SmackDown #1 Announcer
Funaki (Japan, 208 pounds, already in the ring)
- Cena earns points with Cubs gear.
- I wonder if it's Daytona Cubs stuff? They have the friendlier
looking bear that on Cena's jersey.
- I'm that ill cat with more cork in his bat than Sammy Sosa
I'm too ghetto for merchandise so kids make their own posters.
Orlando fans are in the stands throwing up them double hands
After the show, Michael Cole's going to chase some boy bands.
Tazz, calm down your man, you got to slow him down
He's got those weird posts of 'NSYNC and he's falling in love with
Funaki-san, reconsider. I'm more than you can handle, bro
I'll cut your two toned mullet and kick you dead in the camel toe
You should go back to announcing, this whole match is a waste, man
I need to you wrestle you, you're choking yourself with your waist band.
I ain't from Orlando, but I got the magic stick
That means I'm representing your city when I grab my 
- Funaki would like to say something now:
What up, dog.
Hold on please, hold on please, shh, shh
U G L Y you ain't go no alibi
Yo yo you Ugly
Yo yo you Ugly
Yo yo you Ugly
- Funaki does the robot!
- Clothesline. That ends this.
- Cole feels hurt by Cena. He thought they were boys!
- Rising Sun? Nah, thrown off.
- FU already? (:41)
- Cole: "You can't spell Funaki without F U"
- Replay of Funaki dancing. And other stuff.
- Backstage, Kurt Angle is walking.
- We presume to the ring.
- It sure would be embarrassing if he ended up in catering or something.
- Kurt Angle did not end up in catering.
- He's still happy to back.
- He's looking forward to the main event.
- Because he's going to face the winner.
- First, some unfinished business. He calls out Team Angle.
- Haas and Benjamin aren't in a hurry to get in the ring.
- Handshake hugs don't seem to improve their mood.
- They're wearing blue, while Angle is wearing red. TENSION!
- They didn't call while he was in the hospital, but that's okay.
- But where were they last week? Sick?
- Haas says they were sick.
- Shelton says they were sick of being in his shadow. All Kurt can think
of is himself.
- They lost the tag team titles because of him.
- Where was Kurt when they had to defend the titles in a ladder match?
- Where was Kurt when they were keeping his name alive.
- Kurt is also sick. Sick of them go from world class athletes to world
- They need to sit down and figure out how they get the tag team titles
back. In the back.
- Haas isn't done - he wants to talk some more.
- Haas points out that Kurt lost at WM. And broke his neck.
- Charlie points neither him nor Shelton have broke a neck against
- Haas says Kurt isn't a captain any more, he's a LOSER.
- Charlie would also appreciate if it would the people would stop say
- Kurt says Charlie doesn't deserve You Suck.
- Kurt says he earned "You Suck", from 4 years of work.
- Kurt says it's fine with him if they want to break up Team Angle
- Charlie says they don't want to break the team up, they just want to
- Charlie and Shelton have decided to vote themselves as co-captain.
They're Kurt's leader.
- Kurt takes that in.
- As founder of Team Angle, he kicks out Charlie. And Shelton.
- Kurt Angle goes all baseball umpire on them, with the ejections and
chest bumps and all.
- Team Angle are angry, but leaving the ring angry instead of beating
down Kurt Angle angry.
- Angle sings Hey Hey Hey Hey goodbye
- Tale of the Tape
|Current WWE Champion
Youngest WWE Champion
2002 King of the Ring
1999 NCAA Champion
||Only man to pin Brock Lesnar twice
Former WWE and WCW Champion
Youngest WCW Champion
- During the break, Team Angle met Kurt Angle backstage
- They want to keep Team Angle together.
- Kurt says no.
- So Team Angle bat him down. And throw their jackets on him.
- Cole: "You get fired, that's how you act, beat your boss
- Tazz: "Well...uh...yea!"
- Big Show (500 pounds) vs
- Big Show vs Brock Lesnar (Minneapolis, MN, 295 pounds) for the WWE
- Show doesn't flinch at the fireworks.
- Big Show says he wants the belt.
- So Brock throws it at him and runs Show into the corner.
- Shoulders in the corner.
- Corner whip, quick reverse into a short clothesline one two no.
- Brock battling back with punches and knees.
- Belly to belly but Show is too fat.
- Corner whip. Knee in the midsection.
- Open hand slap. Open hand slap.
- Corner whip, charge into a double loot.
- Brock out with a clothesline, Show not going down.
- Brock charge into a back elbow
- Show charges at him with a clothesline., but Brock goes down and takes
the top rope with him, leaving Show to tumble out.
- Rights on the outside.
- Whip, reversed, and Brock goes into the steps.
- Show moves the steps, breaks the count, and throws Lesnar back in.
- Lesnar back with kicks and rights.
- Off the ropes, into a sidewalk slam one two no.
- Kick to the ribs by Show.
- HALF CRAB FROM SHOW!
- He's not leaning back. He's leaning forward if anything.
- Still, he's so big, he's bending the leg. It just could be a lot more.
- Lesnar can move easier, too. He gets the ropes.
- Rights by Show in the corner. Kick. Kick. Corner whip. Charge in, but
no one's home.
- I think he moved the ring on that.
- Brock with forearms to the back, rights to the front.
- Whip, reversed, reserved, waistlock by Brock - German Suplex!
- Lesnar hurt, grabbing his ribs, but up.
- Kick, lift, but Brock can't keep Show up and everyone collapses.
- Cole wonders how Brock can win without the F5
- Tazz thinks Brock can win another way
- Show up, thinking about the chokeslam, but Brock comes back with
- Undertaker clotheslines him down.
- Calling for it now. Goozle. Lifting Brock to his feet. Chokeslam - no,
Brock slips free, kick, kick, kick, off the ropes into a big boot.
- Show off the ropes, big boot one two NO.
- Show yells for it again.
- Waiting for Brock to get up.
- Goozle. Chokeslam!
- One two NO! Show's not very happy with that. Strap come down.
- Goozle again. But he's going to the apron.
- Show going up! Second rope - but Brock gets free and crotches Show.
- Brock with rights. Brock goes up to join him.
- Forearms. IS he going to superplex him? Everyone to the top rope -
- The ring collapses after impact!
- The camera side posts went down first, then that side of the ring
went half the way down.
- The far side stayed up.
- Tazz gets bleeped in shock.
- Referee Mike Choida was stunned, but is the only alert one.
- He checks on both men - neither are moving.
- Choida waves for help, then waves at the timekeeper.
- I think that's where this one officially ends, though no bell is
ever rung (NC 8:14)
- All the refs and the EMTs are out.
- They all go in the ring despite that it would seem to be very
- Neither guy moves as we watch replays.
- We see Choida getting the belt and apparently going to hand it to
Brock as we leave.