WWE SmackDown! - 06/05/03
- Kurt Angle Moment: Milkomania (8/01)
- Undertaker (Houston, TX, 305 pounds) vs Chuck Palumbo (285 pounds,
- FBI fake like they're going to punk out the bike, but think better of
- Undertaker's elbow is still taped underneath the elbow pad.
- Announcer go a little buts about Undertaker using a leapfrog.
- Chuck offense consist of a lot of punching. A LOT.
- Undertaker almost lands on his head hitting the flying clothesline.
- Old School.
- Punch for Stamboli. Nunzio scared away, but distracts so Chuck can hit
- Chuck tosses Taker so the FBI can get in their work.
- Chuck pulls off a delayed vertical suplex. It goes bad when he tries
for a sleeper
- Punch battle. Chuck wins early, loses late, finishes with a knee.
- Chuck sets new records at "head down too soon", gets DDT.
- Chuck has tape right above his elbow.
- Johnny takes his second outside punch and again Chuck takes control.
- Taker turns it around much quicker. SnakeEyes.
- Big Boot misses, slam reversed right into the goozle. Chokeslam one
two three. (5:20)
- What was the point - ah, he's beating down the other guys too.
- Nunzio is set up for a Last Ride, and Chuck decides he might as well
use the Jungle kick now.
- There's the slap, but the Undertaker gets angry and starts to power
out of of it.
- So Nunzio foes for the chair, but Undertaker ends up with and runs
- Cole promises this isn't over - I guess we're building 'til Nunzio
takes the Last Ride.
- In the Crowd: Rey's wife Angie and kids.
- I thought Tygress was his girlfriend? That's not her...
- Last week, Undertaker pinned Brock
- Next week: Brock Lesnar (c) vs the Big Show for the WWE Championship
- Freddie Blassie memorial tribute video
- WWE Tag Team Champions Eddie Guerrero and Tajiri (434 pounds) vs Basham
Brothers (Columbus, OH, 492 pounds) in a non-title match
- Eddie and Tajiri have a convertible low rider this week.
- Tazz works in a Sammy Sosa joke...here
- Doug and Danny's video has been updated to include...Doug and Danny
- Announces explain that Danny is the wacky member of the tag team.
- Tres suplexes. Again he catches someone coming to stop him from the
Frog Splash, but can't get up in time enough to do it.
- There's the armdrag/headscissors combo instead.
- Eddie ends up getting caught anyway.
- Team Angle have called in sick - possibly to escape Kurt's wrath.
- Tazz and Cole talk about never having heard of a sick day in the
- Peril segment lasts about a minute. Hot tag to Tajiri, to go kick
- Frog Splash to Doug, Buzzsaw Kick to Doug and that's it. (4:42)
- Kurt Angle Moment: Jimmy Crack Corn And I Don't Care
- There sure is a lot of Debra in these things.
- I'm almost positive it's a coincidence.
- Kurt Angle returns
- He's happy. Maybe it's because he has his medals back?
- Crowd chants You Suck to the music, but in a nice way I guess.
- "You know, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I have no
idea how good it feels to hear those words again - PLAY MY MUSIC!"
[As the music plays, Kurt cheerleads the chant. The music cuts out at
the chorus.] "You know, I don't even care, because after two months
of neck surgery and rehab, your Olympic Hero is back in the WWE ring
baby! WOOO! And I'm back for one reason and one reason only - 'cause
Kurt Angle is a champion. And I want to become champion again. [what]
Hey, I missed that word too [WHAT] I said I missed that word too [WHAT -
Kurt gives the crowd a look, then takes a moment. ANGLE chant] But
tonight, I'm here to talk about something else. There's one person I'd
like to personally thank. [WHAT] You know, when I was laid up in the
hospital , and I didn't know if I was going to wrestle again ,
there's someone who was keeping close contact with me , someone that
became a genuine friend , and I don't believe I'm going to say this,
but that guy is [WELLLLLL IT'S THE BIG SHOW - he's in a smiling mood
Angle: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Show: "Well, Kurt, I'm definetely not out here to tell you how
happy I am that you're back in the WWE. Because, personally, I don't
give a damn. Now you can come out here and earn all these fans' respect,
but let me tell you, you haven't earned mind. [BIG SHOW SUCKS = Show is
backing Angle into the corner] Kurt Angle, you want to be champion again
- you better wait in line, because next week, when I beat Brock Lesnar
for the WWE Title, maybe, just maybe, I'll give you a shot at a real
champion. And Kurt, you better pray that doesn't happen, because you
don't want to face me one one one, because one on one I'll put you in
the hospital again, PERMANENTLY."
Angle: "Okay, Show, um. [reaches in pocket] These are called breath
mints - what you do is open it up, you take one out, and place it on
your tongue like so [swatted away]"
Show: "You better get serious real quick, son." [Angle stands
on the middle turnbuckle]
Angle: "LISTEN TO ME YOU BIG OVERGROWN SON OF A BI[BLEEP] - Last
time we fought, I whooped your ass for the WWE Title! So if you want to
intimidate me, remember this: I won an Olympic Gold Medal and wrestled
in WrestleMania main event with a broken neck, so excuse me if I'm not
pooping in my pants right now!"
Show: "Kurt, do you realize how easily I could snap your ne-"
Angle: "Whoa whoa whoa, hold on a second. I always wanted to do
this. With all do respect to Stone Cold Steve Austin - if you want to
see Kurt Angle open up a can of whoopass on the Big Show tonight, give
me a You Suck [YOU SUCK - goozle - Brock's music loosens the goozle.
Brock walks to the ring wearing the belt, as the other two stand apart
in the ring. Brock ends up standing in between Angle and Big Show. It
looks like Kurt could ambush Brock and set him up for Big Show (he
doesn't tease it - it's all in position), but it doesn't happen.
Instead, Show walks off, deciding he rather do it next week. Angle
touches Brock on the shoulder - Brock spins around fast]
Angle: "Whoa whoa, easy Brock. I think I had enough of you at
WrestleMania. I mean, you kicked my butt so bad, I can't remember the
last time I got my butt kicked that badly, Brock. You messed me up
pretty good, you put me in the hospital. But just for the record, I
didn't need your help with the Big Show - I had it covered. Unlike you,
Brock. It seems to me that the Big Show has been giving you a hard time
lately. It seems to me that the Big Show has been getting the better of
you, Brock. And you know something, I wouldn't douBt if the Big Show
beat you next week for the WWE Title right here on SmackDown. I mean,
let's face it Brock, the Big Show's beaten you - twice!"
Brock: "Let me tell you something, Kurt - WHEN I beat Big Show next
week, if you want a shot at this title, I say it's on."
Angle: "Well, that sounds pretty good to me, Brock. That sounds
really good to me. You know Brock, our match at WrestleMania, I'll be
honest with you, I wanted that match to go down as the greatest match
ever - Kurt Angle's greatest victory of his whole entire career. But I
learned something, Brock - in order to beat Brock Lesnar, you have to be
at the very top of your game. And guess what, big boy...I am. Now I
didn't ask you to come out and help me with the Big Show, but I did want
you to come out. Because Brock, when I was laid up in the hospital, all
of the phone calls from you, all of the personal concern that I didn't
know I wasn't going to wrestle again, all the concern about me and my
family and my health. For being a genuine friend Brock, for giving me
the hardest fought match of my career, and most of all, for earning all
my respect, I just want to say one thing, thank you.
[HUG. Brock's music plays.]
- Ultimo Dragon coming soon vignette
- John Cena (West Newbury, MA, 248 pounds) vs Chris Benoit (Edmonton, AB,
- "Man, all this talk, this Cruiserweight,
this Rey Mysterio this, this Matt Hardy that
these flying cruiserweights, they don't deserve a second look.
It's like the Haiti Kid beating up on Lord Littlebrook
And they're so light in the pants, they should be transvestites
I got more hits on the mic then free porno websites
I got kids carving double horns on their bathroom stall
I ain't in this for the money - LeBron James took it all.
And Chris Benoit, yea you got fans, but I don't respect you
The only Wolverine I see is in X-Men 2
And I beat up any preppy punk wearing Abercrombie and Finch
I sign his autograph first, then run away with his 
- That was a bit of random Cruiserweight bashing for something that
seems to be tonight's main event.
- Benoit wastes no in going right after Cena to the early advantage.
- As usual, Benoit nearly gets the Crossface locked in, in the first 30
seconds, but Cena escapes and akes control
- Cole is really putting over Cena as the next superstar here
- Tazz calls Benoit a young lion.
- Benoit reveres the FU setup into a big DDT.
- Swandive hits. 2.
- German's go one, before Cena semi escapes, bumps the ref, and hits a
- Cena goes for the chain.
- Rhyno is out to stop him.
- Rhyno gets the chain, Cena ducks and Benoit takes it.
- Rhyno possibly could've done that on purpose.
- No one suggests that.
- One two three. (3:29)
- Benoit's taken two big loses in the last two weeks.
- Rhyno checks on Benoit, who's KOed.
- Torrie Wilson and Rikishi (350 pounds) vs Jamie Noble & Nidia in a
mixed tag team match
- Cole hypes Vengeance as "SmackDown's PPV"
- Cole says "it's SUPPOSED TO BE girls vs girls and guys vs
- Tazz wishes his wife a birthday.
- Cole got Mrs. Tazz JR's Cookbook
- Cole probably got comped.
- Unlike Tazz, Rikishi has no problem in shoving down Nidia after a
- Nidia and Torrie get lost within 20 seconds.
- Torrie teases the Stinkface on Nidia, but then tags out to Rikishi.
- Noble tries the sunset flip and moves out of the way in town.
- Is that now an offensive move?
- Yes, it is offensive.
- Nidia blatantly ignores the rules and attempts to fight Rikishi.
- Rikishi tags out to Torrie.
- Torrie hits a top rope cross body for two.
- Noble gets in the trip from the outside.
- Noble tries to Tiger Bomb Torrie, but Rikishi knows that can't
possibly happen here and breaks it up with a thrust kick.
- Nidia get snap mared down off a sleeper.
- After Noble is disposed, Nidia falls right into position. Stinkface.
- Torrie hits the swinging neckbreaker one two three. (3:31)
- This worked out much better for Torrie then it did for Spanky.
- Tale of the Tape
|San Diego, CA
|619/West Coast Pop
||Twist of Fate
|WWE Tag Team Champion
WCW Tag Team Champion
WCW Cruiserweight Champion
||Founder of Mattitude
Current WWE Cruiserweight Champion
5 Time Tag Team Champion
- Tazz sees the Mattitude as being a big factor
- Josh talks to Rey.
- How's the groin?
- "The status on my injury, Josh - plain and simple, I'm ready.
I've been ready since Day 1. That's the reason why I'm here in SmackDown
tonight, because of that Cruiserweight Title. That's why this match
against Matt means the world to me, Dog. Yeah, Matt Hardy, he tried to
put me out last week when he kicked me in the groin - it didn't work!
[Spanish - un foul!] That's why tonight, I'm bringing the title home, to
the WEST COAST!"
- Wait - here's Eddie, laughing and wearing a Rey 619 shirt? And talking
lots of Spanglish to Rey.
- Fans appear to know Spanglish.
- Eddie gives him a pep speech. "Make us proud" and
"Don't even think about coming back without cruiserweight
- No one says lWo. BUT THEY SHOULD'VE.
- Announcers give Eddie credit for backing up Rey.
- Then they recap the arm wrestling contract - with footage from the
beginning of the show.
- Time to fill tonight or something? This match better not be cut short.
- Stephanie meets Vince in front of her office
- She's not happy with his judgment.
- Stephanie will give Zach a contract if Vince doesn't.
- Vince will fire her if she does.
- Vince thinks Stephanie needs assistance. Office help.
- Vince found someone already.
- We found Sable posing on Stephanie's desk.
- "What position is Sable qualified for?" "Sable is
eminently qualified in a number of positions."
- Stephanie brings up Sable's lawsuit. For sexual harassment.
- I'm back to stacking pennies.
- Vince says that was then. And Stephanie is jealous of Sable's look.
- Sable is apparently a mute.
- One more reminder of Brock/Big Show next week
- Ah, they have an Arm Wrestling graphic.
- Matt Hardy (Version One, Cameron, NC, 230 pounds, w/SUMMIT and a WWE
Magazine, c, 1) vs Rey Mysterio Jr. (San Diego, 175 pounds, 4) for the WWE
- Matt Facts: Matt is taller than Rey Mysterio. Matt despise traffic.
- Mysterio's son Dominic is wearing the mask.
- Matt's so pumped, he takes off the shirt before the match!
- Face to face title presentation, rules discussion. Always a nice
- Rey and Matt go chest to chest, then back off.
- Circle. Lockup. Matt slowly powers Rey into the corner.
- Break, corner punch is ducked and Rey slides to an inside cradle one
- Circle. Lockup
- Meanwhile, Cole and Tazz BLOW MY MIND
- Cole: "Mysterio is already in class of great cruiserweights -
cruiserweights like Great Sasuke and Dean Malenko"
- Tazz: "Jushin Thunder Lyger and even Tiger Mask"
- What show am I watching? I have no idea any more. This is not the
WWE I know.
- Surprised they didn't stick Dragon in there. It's true, but maybe
it would have been too much of a push.
- Rey says a win here is the highpoint in his career.
- Matt with an armbar, Rey with a forward roll, spin, headstand roll and
reverse. Matt pulled into a hammerlock.
- Rey shoved into the ropes, slides back under Matt, kick tot he
midsection, headlock back on.
- Matt shoves him into the corner this time, chest first. Clothesline to
the back of the head.
- Elbow smash to the head. There's the choke over the top rope.
- Matt distracts as Crash and Shannon sneak up on Rey.
- Brian Hebner catches them in time and tell them to stay away.
- Matt turns Rey around and chops him. And another. And - wait it's
- Rey back with chops, whip, reversed into a Rey kick.
- Snap mare, slingshot to the apron, swinging dropkick, slingshot splash
one two NO.
- Matt is staggered, and Rey follows him in the corner.
- Matt tries to backdrop him out, but Rey keeps his balance on the
ropes. Matt manages to shove him to the apron anyway.
- Rey with a shoulder. Slingshot but Matt catches him on the way up with
- Rey tumbles to the floor, where Shannon and Matt stomp him down.
- Hebner quickly notices and breaks it up - and throws them out!
- Matt is very much unhappy about that decision. Brian warns Matt.
- Matt turns around - Rey springboard Thesz press to the floor!
- Break. (2:55)
- Everyone in the ring when we come back
- Whip, reversed, Matt with a kick to the midsection.
- Splash Mountain? Rey tries to fight out and slips out behind Matt.
- Rey goes for a neckbreaker, but Matt hits the low blow mule kick where
the ref can't see it.
- Matt feigns amazement about such a thing, but then is right on the
- Replay of the Thesz Press.
- Matt is stomping the inner thigh. He's thrilled.
- Rey's family is not thrilled.
- Knee drop on the inner leg.
- Half Boston! More stretching on the leg here, which gives Rey more room
to move if he can.
- Rey's moving towards the ropes, but has a bit to go - he gets them. Matt
holds on to 3.
- Matt pulls Rey back in the middle of the ring - reverse figure four?
- We'll never known, because Rey pushed him off, and into the middle rope.
- Matt's in position, so Rey wants to go for the 619, but he can't run
because of the injury.
- Matt catches up to him, and clips Rey's left leg.
- Matt sets up Rey's left leg on the middle rope, stretch, kick, kick,
- Rey kicks him away.
- Rey climbs up to the middle rope, tries to get to the top rope but he
just doesn't have the strength in the left leg to balance.
- Matt catches him form behind with a forearm. Rey's dropped into the Tree
of Woe. VERSION ONE.
- Matt points, charges shoulder first, but Rey pulls himself up and Matt
- Rey trying to get up again - second rope moonsault bodyblock, but Matt
- Matt holds on - but Rey reveres into a big swinging DDT!
- Rey is slow to cover, one two NO! Replay.
- Rey and Matt get up while we finish watching that, with Rey hitting some
punches. Corner whip, reversed into a shove by Rey.
- Rey slowly up on the ropes - second rope bulldog. Slow cover again one
- Rey picks up Matt, but Matt gets in a kick. Slam.
- Second rope. There's the yell - but Rey's up with punches top stop him.
- Rey slow climbing up to join him - but Matt grabs him.
- TOP ROPE SIDE EFFECT! one two NO!!!
- Matt can't believe it! That always works!
- Sure, he's used it like once, but it was a good success rate
- Matt is grabbing his own head and going to pick up Rey, but Rey small
package one tow no.
- Matt is a little out of sorts. Whip, reversed, kick wham REY TWIST OF
- Rey can't cover, he's out too. He does a few seconds later, arm cross
cover - one two NO!
- Matt gets up, but he's oblivious.
- Rey trips him up onto the second rope - Rey limp run his way into
hitting the 619.
- Rey calls for the West Coast Pop - springboard 'rana blocked, but Rey
pulls both of them out of the ring.
- Both are down on the outside recovering. Count out starts. One two three
four five six seven eight nine Matt grabs his belt.
- Hebner stops his count to warn him from using it. Brian and Matt have a
tug of war
- Crash and Shannon are back out - double reverse mat slam!
They rush off before being caught, and Matt gets back to business.
- Matt to the second rope - no, top rope. Downfall Raindrop CONNECTS. One
- Matt is apoplectic! And a bit scared.
- Matt with punches, then rips off his own elbow pads.
- Picking up, Rey, Twist Of - no, double leg, jacknife cover one two
- New Cruiserweight Champion.
- Rey's family go moderately crazy.
- Rey's son joins him in the ring.
- Rey's wife is tearing up.
- That's it.