CMLL hasn’t sent out a preview of today’s show, which is just about right. They were busy with the photo exhibit openings around the country, and tonight’s Arena Mexico show is a bit of an afterthought after that and with the anniversary show next week. The main event is a special match on paper, with Caristico & Mistico teaming together with Dragon Lee against La Mascara, Negro Casas and Ultimo Guerrero, but it’s more likely to be a 9 minute sprint with mask pulling and fouls to build up next week. (Plus, Caristico didn’t look 100% in Japan, and Negro Casas isn’t a sure bet.)
The fourth match is also just there to be a setup for next week, with Super Crazy, Sharlie Rockstar, Golden Magic taking on Rey Bucanero, Gran Guerrero and Euforia. Outside the feud, Golden Magic has better rudos to face than he’s gotten previously, but the interesting thing to watch is how Elite is mentioned. This feud has been pushed as CMLL vs Elite for the last few weeks, so Elite should still be mentioned unless something’s going on. (Elite’s Twitter turned up Thursday just to say there’s no show this week, as if this was news when the week was mostly gone, but reassured their TV would still air this week.)
For what it’s worth, Teddy Hart is apparently out of Elite (at their choice), and was telling people he was going to get into one of the other Mexican promotions. He lasted three matches, two more than anyone would’ve figured.
The other matches are just matches. There’s some worthwhile stuff in them. Los Ingobernables? (Pierroth, Rey Escorpion & Rush) take on Maximo, Shocker and Terrible in a weird match. Soberano Jr. and Hechicero meet in the lightning match, their first match since En Busca de un Idolo. Fujin, Okumura, and Raijin continue their quiet war against the Panthers, with Fuego taking the place of Blue Sr. The opener is Sensei & Starman versus Disturbio & Sangre Azteca, so at least Disturbio will wear something weird.
It’s good for CMLL to be back on ClaroSports – they make money off that deal – but I so much love YouTube better. It’s easier to get it on my TV and it’s possible to go back and watch later. It’s not especially clear if Friday shows are supposed to be available after the fact (last Fridays was pulled down, the week before is still up there), but it’s a much better experience.
I think I may not be around for this one? I have like three sets of plans and didn’t get back to people in a timely matter, so I have no idea. I am poor at time management this week (which is why the AAA & Elite recaps aren’t up.)
CMLL changed Sunday’s poster, but none of the tickets. It’s just the prices, with the closest seats going up 20-30 pesos. (Here’s the original.Here’s the new.) It also looks like they’re opening up more areas, so I guess they expect the trios title match and Niebla/Maximo to draw.
El Economista has an article on an AAA business development, as they often do. This one is about the deal with Panini for the sticker albums. Panini says they were looking to expand their line of albums, and have been surprised about how many of their distributors around the world were interested in an AAA line. For now, the 200 sticker album is only available in Mexico, but they’re working on other countries. The album will be sold until December, they’re hoping to make an annual thing, they don’t have a specific date for the next edition, but they plan to do it strategically. Maybe bet on an annual TripleMania schedule. I wonder if they can be released in US – if there’s some Lucha Underground deal that might preclude it.
Cara Lucha (SAT) 09/03/2016Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México
1) Fiero, La Jarochita, Tiago vs Fly Star, Keira, Toxin
2) Pardus vs Maldad
3) Toro Negro Jr. vs Danger
4) Guerrero Mixtico vs Black Terry vs Heddi Karaoui
5) Herodes Jr. & Mocho Cota Jr. vs Trauma I & Trauma II
6) Hechicero & Máscara Dorada vs Ángel Blanco Jr. & Flamita
Mascara Dorada & Flamita has been previously announced for that show. Angel Blanco Jr. is in from the Santo shows; CaraLucha reps were at the Crash, so there may be some tieup there. A bit surprising to get Herodes & Mocha Cota on the same show as CMLL guys, but maybe they’re not counted as AAA guys to someone. Toro Negro/Danger was set up on the last show.
Cara Lucha’s schedule has been a bit ragged of late. If they continue running every two weeks, the next show would be on the 17th, the day after CMLL’s mystery show.
We knew about the mask already. The tag four way has four teams who are not regular teams, so good on that. Imposible does indeed get his middleweight shot. If he wins, they should’ve waited for him to vacate the title until he won (or at least he got the match.) If he loses, everything is dumb. Should be a fine time. This is a very loaded card for a show with pretty much only IWRG regulars.
CMLL (TUE) 08/23/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Martes de Glamour]
1) Furia Roja & Ráfaga b El Divino & Neutrón Rudos took 2/3
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Pegasso, Soberano Jr. b Arkángel de la Muerte, Hijo del Signo, Skándalo Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Misterioso Jr., Pierroth, Sagrado b Ángel de Oro, Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr. Rudos took 1/3. Fuego replaced Stuka (moved to Arena Mexico.)
4) Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Vangellys b Johnny Idol, Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada Rudos took 2/3.
5) Cavernario, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas b Atlantis, Dragón Lee, Mistico Rudos took 2/3, Negro Casas beating Dragon Lee and challenging for a title match afterwards.
CMLL hasn’t had a (super) lightweight championship for as long as the other time, and it’s been inactive or outside of Mexico for a large chunk of that time. Similar deal with the national lightweight title, which is now treated as a mini championship. Negro Casas has usually challenged for Welterweight titles since leaving the UWA in the early 90s. Negro Casas’ last known challenge for a lightweight championship is December 1984.
CMLLluchadors are doing autograph signing to promote the opening of the CMLL photogallerys at Liverpool stores across Mexico.
AAA’s annual pilgrimage was today. The group photo seems much smaller than usual; most of the main eventers aren’t there. Ludxor noted (complained) it was mandatory participation in some of his post-AAA interviews, and perhaps that’s been changed. Edit: or maybe that’s just an early photo, since I see newer photos of more people there.
LigerFever has a recap of the latest Podcast BOOM, talking about AAA & Monterrey. AAA agreed to work Multimedios to promote the Heroes Inmortales card on the condition Konnan stay out of it. Konnan got involved anyway. They won’t get the card until after TripleMania.
MDA (SUN) 08/21/2016Arena Coliseo Monterrey [+LuchaTV, LuchaMania Monterrey]
1) Dulce Kanela & Erika Sotelo b Larry Miranda Jr. & Sexy Piscis
2) Extreme Boy, Gemelo Muerte, Tekilita b Chamaco Gurrola, Quinto Elemento, Última Sombra
3) Antifaz & Mr. Elektro b Bestia 666 & X-Fly Scheduled as Ángel de Oro, Mr. Elektro, Sharly Rockstar vs Bestia 666, Hijo de LA Park, X-Fly with some people moved up to the next match (and Sharly double booked in CMLL.)
4) Hijo de LA Park, La Máscara, Silver King b Ángel de Oro, Mistico II, Pierroth
5) Tekilita L Ninja Jr., Epydemius, Obsesión, Galactar, Mini Hator, Delta, Lince De Oro, Tormento, Mini Difunto, Chamaco Gurrola [cage, mask, hair] In a typical lucha fraud, Tekilta and Chamaco Gurrola were added to the match at the last minute and ended up being the last two in. Chamaco beat Tekilita for his hair, instead anyone who was advertised in this match.
6) Caifan, Canek, Rush DQ Atlantis, Dos Caras Sr., LA Park CMLL referee Edgar worked this match. Canek blatantly unmasked Dos Caras after a match where neither man looked good.
It rained very badly in Monterrey, a storm back enough that it affected the show. Arena Coliseo Monterrey’s roof must not be so good, because parts of the building had water and the ring and the area around it was wet by the end of the show, which affected the last couple of matches.
CMLL (TUE) 08/23/2016Arena México [CMLL, Culticon, thecubsfan]
1) Bengala & Leono b Akuma & Artillero 14:15. Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Fantasy, Shockercito, Stukita b Mercurio, Pequeño Olímpico, Pequeño Violencia 14:38. Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Lluvia, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit b Dalys, Tiffany, Zeuxis 12:45. Tencicas took 1/3.
4) Stuka Jr. b Ripper [lightning] 5:10. Stuka won with the torpedo splash. Stuka replaced Blue Panther Tuesday morning.
5) Blue Panther, Rey Cometa, Titán b Bobby Z, Morphosis, Olímpico 14:16. Tecnicos took 2/3. Blue Panther replaced Super Porky on Tuesday morning.
6) Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero DQ Máximo Sexy, Valiente, Volador Jr. 8:20. Rudos took 1/2, UG faking a foul from Volador, setting up another singles match between the two.
This is the exact same way they set up the last Volador/UG match in the building. Creativity is not a strong suit.
Tonight’s IWRG show has the Hip Hop Man/Dragon Fly title match.
CMLL (TUE) 08/30/2016Arena México
1) Bengala & Flyer vs Camorra & Cholo
2) Estrellita, La Vaquerita, Skadi vs La Comandante, La Seductora, Reyna Isis
3) Blue Panther Jr., Pegasso, The Panther vs El Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón
4) Blue Panther, Fuego, Rey Cometa vs Misterioso Jr., Sagrado, Virus
5) Dragón Rojo Jr., Mr. Niebla, Pólvora vs Guerrero Maya Jr., Johnny Idol, Máscara Dorada
6) Volador Jr. vs Último Guerrero
This match just happened in Puebla. It was pretty good, until it ended in DQ. These two have now had about a dozen singles matches, usually with one or the other holding a title, and every single match has been non-title. That’s a little odd.
Dragon Rojo & Guerrero Maya are at it again in the semimain. Fourth match teases Virus vs Blue panther. Panthers will be confused to fight the Dinamitas instead of the Japanese, but it’s new rudos all the same. First two matches are dire.
Dragon Lee’s had two title defense since winning the title again. They both sound good (Negro Casas & Cavernario), they probably aren’t quite totally good, it doesn’t matter since I can’t figure out a way to see them, and it’s slowly driving me insane.
ColiseoMania IV (SUN) 09/04/2016Arena Coliseo Monterrey
1) ? vs ?? [Copa Coliseomania]
2) Humberto Garza Jr., Ninja Sr., Príncipe Franky vs Difunto I, Karonte, Potro Jr.
3) Pirata Morgan, Silver King, Zorro vs Delta, El Elegido, Laredo Kid
4) Flamita vs Sammy Guevara
5) Juventud Guerrera & Mr. Águila vs Angélico & Jack Evans
6) Blue Demon Jr., Dr. Wagner Jr., Garza Jr. vs Moose, Teddy Hart, Willie Mack
Semimain could be good. Fourth match should be pretty good if Flamita is OK. Main event is just weird and I’ve gone on about it too much on Twitter.
This show is being taped for TV but (if recent patterns hold) almost none of it will actually air.
AAA (FRI) 09/16/2016Centro Civico Nueva Aragon, Ecatepec, Estado de México
1) ? vs ??
2) Big Mami, Dinastía, Niño Hamburguesa vs La Hiedra, Mini Psycho Clown, Soul Rocker
3) Monsther Clown & Murder Clown vs Daga & Joe Lider
4) Fénix, Jack Evans, La Parka vs Parka Negra, Taurus, Zorro
5) Psycho Clown vs Pagano, Pentagón Jr. [bull terrier]
AAA (FRI) 09/16/2016 Auditorio Benito Juárez, Cuautitlán, Estado de México
1) Atomic Boy, Dizzy, El Duende, Mr. Potro vs Epitafio, Leviatham, Samael, Tormento
2) Argenis & Drago vs Soul Rocker & Súper Fly
3) Monsther Clown & Murder Clown vs Daga & Joe Lider
4) Psycho Clown vs Pagano, Pentagón Jr.
These shows are the same night – one is listed as starting 75 minutes from each other, and it shouldn’t be hard to get from one to the other, so that’s not the issue. The issue is this is the same day as AAA’s announced taping in Riveria Maya, and AAA’s roster is now so small that’s it tough for them to be loaded spot shows and tapings the same day. The only people in major TripleMania matches who aren’t on these shows are Wagner, Mesias (who was pulled off AAW, so must be busy booked somewhere else), Angelico, Aerostar, Averno, Chessman and the Apaches.
There’s a couple answers. AAA’s tended to do minimal cards for the Hard Rock shows, and they do have enough people for that. It’ll be impossibly difficult to build with a short roster, but maybe that’s just a sacrifice. (Maybe it’s even going to be a Monterrey focused show anyway; the ColiseoMania card bills itself as the road to Heroes Inmortales.) The other possible answer is that taping has been canceled/postponed/moved/whatever, and so everyone’s working those Mexico State shows instead. The Hard Rock logo disappeared from the taping listing this week on TV, and AAA’s removed partial information about other tapings from their TV when they knew they were canceling it but didn’t want to announce it yet. AAA would figure to wait until after TripleMania to announce a change in plans.
Imposible’s title reign ending suddenly and with no particular conclusion is a normal IWRG story. (Heddi Karoui is the middlweight champion, who knows when he’ll be around to defend his title next.) This show seems to have been skipped by AYM.
CMLL (MON) 08/22/2016Arena Puebla [CMLL, Culticon, thecubsfan]
1) El Malayo & Fuerza Chicana b París & Rey Samuray 18:10. Rudos took 2/3.
2) Ares & Guerrero Espacial b Millennium & Robin 14:09. Rudos took 2/3.
3) Demus 3:16, Espíritu Maligno, Pierrothito b Astral, Asturiano, Eléctrico 8:28. Rudos took 1/3. Demus beat Astral and demanded a title match for next week. Astral agreed.
4) Kráneo, Morphosis, Ripper b Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto 14:09. Invasors took 1/3. Ripper snuck in a foul on Mephisto, who’s team wanted a rematch.
5) Atlantis, Dragón Lee, Rush DQ La Máscara, Shocker, Terrible 10:24. Tecnicos took 2/3. La Mascara & Dragon Lee feuded, with La Mascara unmasking Dragon Lee for the DQ.
6) Mistico b Cavernario 11:27. Mistico took 1/3, the last with La Mistica.
Today’s CMLL Arena Mexico show has Niebla Roja, Euforia, and Ultimo Guerrero against Volador, Valiente and Maximo. The preview pitches it as a another preview of the trios title match on 09/04, but it appeared they were building up a Volador/UG singles match last week and they face off again tonight.
The same CMLL preview has adjusted matches from the two matches right underneath. Super Porky was listed but will not wrestle, but at least CMLL is (slightly) acknowledging the change today. Blue Panther will take his place in the semimain, teaming with Titan & Rey Cometa against Bobby Z, Morphosis and Olimpico. This is Morphosis’ 3rd match in 4 days in CMLL. He’s had 3 total CMLL matches the rest of the year.
Stuka replaces Blue Panther in the lightning match. He’ll face Ripper in the second. Stuka’s listed as also wrestling in Guadalajara tonight and will probably be replaced by a local wrestler. Dalys, Tiffany and Zeuxis are scheduled to face Marcela, Princesa Sugehit and Lluvia in the woman’s match. Shockercito, Stukita and Fantasy take on Mercurio, Pequeno Olimpico and Pequeno Violencia. Leono and Bengala continue their dominance of Tuesday openers, facing Akuma and Artillero.
CMLL’s show airs at 7:30pm on YouTube & CMLL.com.
CMLL’s changed the text on the Rey Bucanero, Euforia, Gran Guerrero versus Super Crazy, Sharlie Rockstar, and Golden Magic from “CMLL to Liga Elite” to generic “Relevos Increibles”. I’m not sure why they’d bother with that unless there was something going on with Elite. We have no idea when (or if) Elite is running a next show, though the TV show account was posting like normal yesterday.
AAA confirmed TripleMania would be on iPPV, in both English and Spanish. The English announce team hasn’t been revealed. The price remains $23USD, and the show is listed as starting at 6pm on Sunday.
Lucha Memes posted Dragon Lee versus Freelance from this past Sunday. The ring is obviously slick from a hailstorm that passed thru – Freelance appears to be picking up hailstones as the video starts – but it’s still a pretty entertaining match. They also appeared to very well for the first show in this location; there’s not much empty space.
El Rey Network announced they’ve signed a one year First Look deal with Rey Mysterio, where they get first look at any TV projects Rey might come up with. I assume this means they’re working on something more (though that’s not necessarily the case), and that this might be a creative way for El Rey to pay Mysterio outside the normal structure (and budget) of Lucha Underground.
Lucha Memes Chairo 5 on 09/25 in Arena Naucalpan.
1: Volador Jr. vs Rey Horuz 2: a Lucha Memes vs IWRG Torneo FILL (8v8 cibernetico). They’ll be announcing a new name each day.
IWRG: Black Dragon (7 more)
Lucha Memes: Astrolux (7 more)
Main event looks amazing. The Mascara Dorada countdown is on – WWE says the Cruiserweights on 09/19, but Gran Metalik was not specifically name dropped and it’s always said to longer for international guys to complete the WWE signing process – but for now, he’ll team with his old Golden Generation partner in one of the last build up matches prior to the Anniversary. Semimiain is Los Ingobernables. Fourth match is the rematch, third is the title match. Second match is back to Ares/Black Tiger, and also would be Super Halcon’s first appearance after being out with an injury for the last four months.