CMLL (FRI) 04/21/2017 Arena México [+LuchaTV, CMLL]
1) Canelo Casas & Espanto Jr. b Flyer & Robin
Rudos took 1/3
2) Drone, Fuego, Rey Cometa b Nitro, Raziel, Virus
Tecnicos took 2/3
3) Guerrero Maya Jr. b Luciferno [lightning]
4) Sansón b Blue Panther Jr., Esfinge, Magnus, Stigma, Star Jr., Forastero, Artillero [Copa Junior Nuevos Valores, semifinal]
Battle royal set sides. Eliminations went Artillero (Star Jr.), Stigma (Forastero), Star Jr. (Sanson), Magnus (Blue Panther Jr.), Esfinge (Sanson), Forastero (Blue Panther Jr., appeared Tirantes counted 3 when it wasn’t planned to be one), Blue Panther Jr. (Sanson), leaving Sanson as the winner to face Soberano next week.
5) Diamante Azul, Stuka Jr., Valiente b Mr. Niebla, Pierroth, Sam Adonis
Niebla, Pierroth and Adonis replaced Euforia, Gran Guerrero and Niebla Roja on Friday.
6) Carístico, Dragón Lee, Volador Jr. DQ Cavernario, La Máscara, Negro Casas
La Mascara faked a foul from Volador for the DQ.
Show was said to be an ordinary show with last week’s Copa Junior being better. Sanson/Soberano should at least be interesting. The lineup for next week as not available by the time I needed to post this.
A Twitter follower has a theory that Claro/CMLL might be geo-blocking the Friday night show on NJPW’s behalf, so the Japanese viewers will have to purchase NJPW World to see it. I still lean towards it being an oversight by Claro & lack of an interest on CMLL’s part in getting it right, but the NJPW theory is holding up at the moment. The Reyes del Aire, which was blocked, aired on NJPW World a week later and now it’ll be the same with last week’s Atlantis/UG show. Those NJPW World airings are for Japan only.
CMLL will allow the first 300 children with tickets at the April 30th Kid’s Day show to go in the ring and take a photo with Mistico, Dragon Lee, Volador Jr. and the mascots. You’ve got to line up in the parking lot and you probably ought to be there early given the limited space.
This is another busy weekend of lucha shows and other related activities.
- Dalys defending her CMLL title against Esterllita is the biggest match on the Arena Coliseo show.
- The former (and maybe future) Sexy Star makes her boxing debut in Metepec. She has a bout scheduled for four rounds for a card against a woman with a poor record. The card is scheduled to air live in Mexico, though it’s never been said if her match will air. (It does not appear it’ll air in the US either.) If it does air, it’ll be part of Sabado de Box, airing on Canal 5 starting around 10:30pm local, and she’ll probably be in one of the first matches shown.
- A bunch of luchadors are all around Chicago at once for different shows (and LA Park has to make the odd Chicago to Merida trip tonight) I may go to AAW.
- ChilangaMask returns with a Xtreme Tiger vs Rey Fenix vs TBA main event. There’s a ruleta de la muerte with The Trauams, Mr. Maldido & The Platino from Tijuana, Makabre from Guadalajara, and Solar and Black Terry. Dave Crist is in to face Aero Boy, NJPW’s War Machine have a singles match against each other.
- Later that night, the Traumas face Black Terry & Diablo Jr. for the IWRG tag titles in Naucalpan
- CMLL has a very regular show.
- Lucha Underground has a panel discussion (and an autograph signing for a few lucky winners) in Chicago. Past LU panels at comic/entertainment conventions haven’t really revealed all that much but have been a nice way for the fans to get a little closer to the people who run these shows. This seems like it’s the only really public press thing LU’s doing during this hiatus, so maybe they’ll get something unexpected. I may have talked myself into going to this in the late hours of Friday night, we’ll see.
MDA in Arena Coliseo Monterrey on 05/07
- Masada vs Rush in a cage match
- Octagon vs Fuerza Guerrera
- Mini Hator vs Mini Difunto for the Nuevo Leon Mini Welterweight Championship
- Angel de Oro vs Rey Horuz
- El Caifan vs Rey Escorpion
That card is getting more interesting.
Jack Swagger is now on the FULL DistrioMania/Alberto tour in May, replacing Drew Galloway. This sets up Alberto/Swagger as the main match, which was a WWE feud of note a few years back.
Black Terry Jr. has extended highlights of Blue Panther & Solar vs Negro Navarro & Black Terry from the special Thursday Arena Coliseo show.
El Manana has a story on Sam Adonis.
LuchaWorld’s Patreon has a downloadable file of 1952’s Clinch Magazine for subscribers.