CMLL PUMA (WED) 10/28/2015Arena México
1) Atlantis, Dragon Lee, Volador Jr. ?? Kamaitachi, Negro Casas, Shocker
2) Mistico b Mephisto exhibtion match. F1 Driver Lewis Hamilton watched from the apron, tagged in once, kicked Mistico and knocked him down with a running plancha. Mephisto celebrated with Hamilton, but eventually lost to La Mistica.
CMLL occasionally does sponsored shows. We normally don’t hear about them. This one went viral. Puma (the shoe company) had a press event at Arena Mexico centered around driver Lewis Hamilton prior to the upcoming F1 race in Mexico City. They had a few wrestling matches, the last one including Hamilton getting in a doing just enough to make for a good video clip. This got picked up everywhere, which was the idea.
IWRG (WED) 10/28/2015Arena Naucalpan [The Gladiatores]
1) Bambio, Canario, Fly Tiger b Gafe, Kabra Kan, Skanda
2) Charly Boy, Sexy Girl, Vardeus b Ángel De La Muerte I, Ángel De La Muerte II, Guerrero 2000
3) Acero, Blue Monsther, Macho b Fireman, Rey Flecha, Shadow Boy
4) Picudo Jr., Troll, Violencia Jr. b Galaxy, Rocker Rojo, Vengador
5) Ángel Dorado, Ángel Dorado Jr., Cruz Del Silencio, Emeprador Sayri, Hades, René Rocks, Toro Machine b Alas de Acero, Aramis, Black Drago, Dragón Fly, Hijo del Alebrije, Kanon, Power Bull [Copa Higher Power] Torneo FILL XLVI; Gym FILL versus Gym SCW. Match came down to Latigo & Rene Rocks, with the outsider getting the win. Eterno blamed the loss on Black Terry and vowed revenge.
Usual FILL show.
Is Averno out of AAA? The WON reported he told AAA he was staying back around October 11th and he’s done interviews since indicating the same. However, his name now appears on the FULL 11/15 Arena Jose Sulaiman card, teaming with Toscano & Heavy Metal versus Caristico, Mistico and Zumbi. (That’d also be the first time the two Misticos have teamed.) The promotion is billing it as an AAA vs CMLL match, but neither of those promotions are likely to allow the match if Averno is still working in AAA. Averno leaving AAA has been rumored since the moment Caristico was spotted in Arena Mexico, but again he’s said previously he wasn’t doing it. Could be something to watch out for on Friday’s Arena Mexico show.
Alberto confirmed on Twitter that he’s on WWE’s European tour next week. WWE’s website lists him on those events. That means he’s off the 11/07 ZZinc show. The last show of the tour is 11/14 in England; it’s physically possible for him to get Juarez in time for the AAA TV taping the next day, but it seems unlikely he’d be excited to do that. There are some AAA/ZZInc dates after that where WWE isn’t running (because they’re giving everyone time off after the European tour and before the PPV), but the best bet is Alberto’s just not working any more AAA shows after the next two. Alberto may work on Sunday in Monterrey, Alberto may wrestle in Reynosa on Monday and that’s probably it. Both those promoters are claiming nothing is changing about their cards. AAA still hasn’t said anything about the situation outside of the one Dorian Twitter post – if they knew he was making those shows, it would make sense for AAA to say so, but AAA doesn’t say much.
The WON mentions AAA (Dorian) was told on 10/12 that Alberto was going back to WWE, but dismissed it as another rumor and had no plans to take the Mega title away from him this year. They also say Alberto had been telling people in “recent weeks” he was going back to WWE, but gave the impression it would be in January. Meltzer says one source says the deal was done in mid-September. If that’s correct, Alberto knew he was leaving, could’ve informed AAA and lost the title on Heroes Inmortales before people knew he was going, and decided not to. It’s possible Alberto may still be willing to lose to someone now, but it doesn’t seem like a certain outcome. I talk about AAA tapings where about five different angles happen after once (which usually follow lots where nothing happens), but this is really going to be the busiest taping in quite some time.
Eric Mutter has his picks for who should win the Mega championship. I agree with the #1 pick. Who wins the title is less important to me than how it’s done. We talked about this on the podcast a bit; I’d rather see AAA put the title on the shelf for a few months and come up with a good plan for a next champion than to have some super screwy win because of a need (or requirement) to protect Alberto. AAA is not Japan, where the strength of the heavyweight championship is what drives the company. It’s the star power of the people on top, and no one’s going to become more of a star because an evil referee handed them a belt after eight people ran in. AAA routinely goes months and months between doing anything with the championship – whatever happens in Reynosa, Alberto is going to end up with only two successful title in AAA (both by DQ!) after a near year long reign, and AAA business has apparently been fine. I’d love to see all the titles being defended much more often, because it usually means many more good matches, but AAA’s shown they can go without those title matches for a long time.
The Wrestling Observer also mentions these as the “current taping dates” for Lucha Underground
November: 14, 15, 21, 22
December: 12, 13
January: 9, 10, 16, 17, 30, 31
All shows are Saturdays and Sundays. That’s 12 tapings, so 24 episodes. It’s not clear if that’s the complete season 2, or if there’s more in February/March to come.
Ticket info went out today for the November set of tapings to people who went to the last set of tapings. Check your email immediately if you went to Ultima Lucha. Seats are limited and it looks like they’re inviting back the people who were with them early before letting everyone else in.
The newsletter also mentions Cheerleader Melissa, who worked dark matches near the end of season 1, is currently slated to be Marty the Moth’s sister.
Masked Republic and WWNLive starts four days straight of Viva La Lucha shows this afternoon at 11:30am. (So, probably after you’re reading.) They’re running about the same time on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday with a similar group of guys but different matches each day. Shows are all $10 for live only and $15 for live + on demand.
A CMLL interview builds up Mr. Niebla versus Thunder, which sounds like some match. There’s no explanation of what’s up with Ultimo Guerrero; the WON says he was hurt in California on Sunday.
Cara Lucha (SAT) 11/07/2015Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México
1) ? vs ??
2) Mike, Rafy, Teelo vs Centvrión, Fly Warrior, Látigo
3) Aramis, Fly Star, Toxin vs Magnífico I, Magnífico II, Templario
4) Andy Boy, Danger, Guerrero Mixtico vs Drastik Boy, Emperador Azteca, Sensei
5) ? vs ??
6) Carístico vs Flamita, Cavernario, Hechicero
That’s an unusual main event, and subject to change – Flamita’s slated to work the AAA TV the day before working with CMLL people. This is really good card, with every announced match having a chance to be outstanding. People who listened to the podcast last month may recall why the second match is especially interesting.
I’m assuming Sensei here and Espanto on previous shows are part of whatever deal they have with CMLL (you have to give the undercard guys work if you take the main event ones?)
What happened: Molotov suddenly decided he hated Lestat and needed to be a rudo. Not sure how that’s going to turn out for him. A few days after Atlantis beat La Sombra in one of the biggest matches of his career, Atlantis also beat Rey Escorpion .
What was good: The Dragon Lee version of the Sly team versus the Hijos was good. I liked what we saw of this show generally live, but it didn’t come across as well on TV, or I’m just a horribly mean grader. Could be both!
Where can I watch it: It’s on CMLL’s YouTube channel. There’s lot of live clips on RobViper’s YouTube.(more…)
What happened:Jack beat Joe Lider and challenged for the tag titles. Mesias used a ref distraction to beat Parka.
What was good:nothing much. This felt like a televised house show with people taking it easy.
Where can I watch it:It’s on AAA’s channel and mine. I’m trying to stick with AAA’s version because it seems like they have a few vignettes which aren’t being shown on the national version. There were very brief segments in between each match on the TripleMania show, and this one had a skit that wasn’t on the Televisa version
CMLL (TUE) 10/27/2015Arena México [CMLL]
1) Leono & Robin b Apocalipsis & Cholo Robin was wearing a special costume honoring his father, who passed away 16 years ago.
2) Astral, Eléctrico, Shockercito b Demus 3:16, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Olímpico Shockercito submitted Demus.
3) Delta, Fuego, Starman DQ Okumura, Sangre Azteca, Virus Sangre Azteca unmasked Fuego for the DQ.
4) Rey Cometa b Puma [lightning] Puma went for his double powerbomb, but Cometa snuck in a huracanrana on the second one for the win in 8:06.
5) Ángel de Oro, Dragon Lee, Stuka Jr. b Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto Stuka beat Mephisto, then issues a trios title challenge on behalf of his team.
6) Atlantis, Mistico, Titán b Cavernario, Kamaitachi, Mr. Niebla Atlantis beat Niebla.
That’s a clearly a hat determined tecnico unit but it seems about right for Tuesdays. Rey Cometa & Puma looks outstanding in the photos.
The show was still taped, even though Cadena3 is no longer doing the broadcast. There’s some musical chairs going on: Tuesdays are ending up with Claro Sports (the cable network, not the website) and so will also eventually air on LATV. Not sure where that’ll leave Sunday shows.
CMLL (TUE) 10/27/2015Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Arena Coliseo Guadaljaara]
1) El Divino & Nautilius b Relampago & Thunder Boy
2) Arkángel de la Muerte, Disturbio, Maléfico b Frezzer, Magnus, Soberano Jr.
3) Misterioso Jr., Pierroth, Sagrado b Esfinge, Guerrero Maya Jr., The Panther Pierroth won with his package piledriver on Maya.
4) Thunder b Kráneo Thunder took 1/3.
5) La Máscara, Máximo, Super Porky b Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible
Thunder defeating Kraneo is a grand injustice. Pierroth beating Maya not that much better.
CMLL announced Atlantis and Boby Z will appear on FantasticaMania. Boby was already announced after winning En Busca de un Idolo, and Atlantis has been a regular the last few years. The full lineup will probably be announced in a couple weeks, but there are some safe assumptions. Sombra, Rush and Mascara Dorada will always be on FantasticaMania as long as this agreement keeps going and they remain the top guys. (Dorada probably counts as NJPW this year.) Okumura is also likely to be on these shows every year, because he works as a translator and liaison. Ultimo Guerrero, Volador and Maximo are likely to be on most shows, but Maximo wasn’t on last year’s show and Volador wasn’t brought in to the early ones. They usually do an Anniversary show rematch as one of the main events, so Atlantis coming along makes sense. And there’s always going to be (at least) one person doing the Mistico character as long it’s around. All the other spots depend on who they need to contemplate the guys they’re bringing in (like Polvora last year to wrestle Mistico II), which midcarders NJPW may be interested in using later on for Best of Super Juniors and who CMLL feels like rewarding.
Alberto is still scheduled to appear in Monterrey on Sunday, which is being promoted as the last chance to see Alberto in Monterrey (with AAA). There’s still no new information on what he’ll be doing with AAA. AAA sent out an interview with Johnny Mundo pointing towards a match with Rey Mysterio, which seems to take them both out of consideration for winning the title. It’s unclear how much those interviews are on autopilot or just subject to change. Unless the WON has a big scoop, we might not know much more about what’s going on with Alberto and the Mega title until Monday in Reynosa.
Thing I didn’t know: the Golpeador in IWRG now is the same one who was there in the 90s, at least according to the bio IWRG posted. He was talked up as a top prospect at the time but seems to have vanished after 1995. I guess he coudl’ve been wrestling in Arena Aficion all along, but it’s probably more likely he’s been a few different characters.
That’s such a random title match but it might be good.
CMLL (TUE) 11/03/2015Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Explosivo & Star Black vs Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Magnum, Súper Halcón Jr. vs Artillero, Metálico, Ráfaga
3) Delta, Esfinge, Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Boby Z, Disturbio, Virus
4) La Máscara, Máximo Sexy, Super Porky vs Olímpico, Rey Bucanero, Ripper
5) Atlantis, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Mr. Niebla, Último Guerrero
Ultimo Guerrero listed as wrestling, so maybe it’s just a one week thing. Note Artillero is stuck on his own; Super Comando is getting bump in places for the feud with the Panther but his brother doesn’t seem to be making the trip and is being booked elsewhere.
Sombra & Rush are eligible to be booked in Arena Coliseo Guadalajara now, but are only listed on Sunday’s Elite show so far.
There’s so much going in Mexico that me and RobViper had to fly all the way back to the Reforma Holiday Inn Express to record a podcast. Topics include Alberto el Patron, what to do with the AAA Mega championship, Elite Lucha Libre, Caristico, and FantasticaMania. Topics almost do not include Lucha Underground since we both forgot to talk about it until about the end. It’s about 70 minutes of a sometimes meandering conversation for you to enjoy.
I put these matches up on YouTube without checking if everyone who supposed to be in the matches actually showed up. They all did! That’s incredibly unlikely. Unfortunately, it appears few of the fans actually showed up (especially on the floor.) Karaoui winning an IWRG title seems to be another sign he’s not actually going to CMLL at the moment and that was a weird fakeout. Speaking of fakeouts, Golpeador actually getting a rival and a feud seems like a fakeout of him being the loser of the mask match next week.
CMLL (MON) 10/26/2015Arena Puebla [CMLL, El Popular]
1) Hijo del Signo, Rey Apocalipsis, Toro Bill Jr. b Black Tiger, Centella Roja, Starman Rudos took 2/3.
2) Boby Z, Cancerbero, Tiger b Pegasso, Stigma, Tritón Boby Z moved down to replace Espiritu Maligno. Rudos took 2/3.
3) Ángel de Oro, Guerrero Maya Jr., Super Porky b Felino, Hechicero, Negro Casas tecnicos took 1/3 with Super Porky stealing the show.
4) Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Terrible b Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Thunder Terrible replaced Ultimo Guerrero and Polvora replaced Boby Z. Thunder fouled and unmasked Euforia to set up a match next week. Team Euforia takes falls 2/3.
5) La Sombra b Shocker Sombra took 2/3, the last using the ropes.
Nothing really noteworthy on the show. This served a purpose of killing time until IWRG was done airing.
Ultimo Guerrero is off all cards this week. He was off this Puebla card. Mr. Niebla of all people fills in for him on Friday, and Gran Guerrero replaces him on Sunday. It seems like it must be an injury, which might also mean CMLL’s needs a new King of Hell for the Dia de Muertos shows. Whatever the next step is in Thunder/Ultimo Guerrero is off for now. Ultimo Guerrero also did miss his scheduled booking Sunday in Monterrey – they sent Gran Guerrero to face Caifan instead, which is kind of horrible – and but that appears to be because he double booked himself in California.
Blue Panther Jr. is also apparently off the shows. Starman is listed in his spot in the preview today. The preview also hypes a Dragon Lee/Luciferno feud. I dunno. Main event is Mr. Niebla, Barbaro Cavernario, Kamaitachi versus Atlantis, Mistico and Titan, which could be a fun match. We don’t know anything about this being televised, or if even the lightning match (Puma versus Rey Cometa) will be up on YouTube.
AAA put out another interview about the tag title feud, this one with Jack Evans. Jack & Angelico versus Pentagon & Lider and Daga versus Australian Suicide seem pretty locked in for Guerra de Titanes.
CMLL (MON) 11/02/2015Arena Puebla
1) Bengala, Millenium, Rey Samuray vs El Malayo, Fuerza Chicana, Inquisidor
2) Estrellita, La Vaquerita, Lluvia vs La Comandante, La Seductora, Zeuxis
3) Ángel de Oro, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. vs Ephesto, Hechicero, Luciferno
4) Euforia vs Thunder
5) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Cavernario, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
Main event could be fun depending on Niebla and tercera has a chance. Euforia & Thunder should be good for gifs.
CHAIRO LLPT (SUN) 11/15/2015 Unidad Deportiva Martin Alarcon Hisojo, Metepec, Estado de México 1) Gemelo F I vs Volatil 2) Demasiado vs Rey Psicis, Scorpio 2.0 3) Iron Kid vs Keira 4) Dragón De Fuego & Resplandor Negro vs Arez & Belial 5) Astro de Plata vs Astro Rey Jr. would be Astro de Plata’s first match since leaving suffering a spine injury in 2011. 6) Dragon Lee (CMLL) vs Impulso 7) Rey Hechicero vs Black Terry
This is a Lucha Memes card. Rey Hechicero versus Black Terry is going to be great and Dragon Lee on any show is a good time, but the brother/brother match of Astro de Plata versus Astro Rey Jr. is the most interesting story on the show. Astro de Plata was temporarily paralyzed after a move gone wrong in 2013. He recovered after many months and appeared at least one show to says he was unsure if he would ever return to the ring. Plata had just started to appear on AAA TV at the time of his injury, looking like a promising high flyer. (I think the Astro de Plata that showed up a few times in 2014 Hidalgo is a different guy.)