AAA TV (FRI) 08/19/2016Auditorio Benito Juárez, Veracruz, Veracruz
1) Gotita de Plata, Lanzeloth, Venum vs ?, Mocho Cota Jr., Soul Rocker
2) Big Mami, Mary Apache, Niño Hamburguesa vs El Apache, Lady Shani, Taya
3) Argenis, Australian Suicide, Bengala vs Dave The Clown, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Súper Fly
4) ? & ?? vs Aerostar & Drago and Daga & Joe Lider
5) Pentagón Jr. & Texano Jr. vs El Mesías & Hernandez
6) Monsther Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown vs Damián 666, Nicho el Millionario, Pagano [cage] winning team will choose the referee for the Psycho/Pagano match at TripleMania.
Air Date: 08/27 & 09/03 – one show airs the night before TripleMania, one the week after.
So, Tirantes will be refereeing the apuesta match at TripleMania, until he gets taken out and Piero runs down to make the count, or Tirantes will decided to count three for Psycho even though it makes no sense. Whatever happens, AAA’s always established the referee is the important part and this just continues that.
If anything, this lineup makes me think Psycho Clown might actually stand a chance of winning in Toluca, just so he gets one win to go along with his million losses. He’s not getting that win here. It’s actually a clever stipulation, because they can announce the card before this taping without giving away the result to this match.
Semimain is Pentagon & Texano facing the two Trump guys they won’t face at TripleMania. Mesias not having a sure spot for TripleMania is very odd; maybe he does get added to the heavyweight title match to make it a four way.
There’s a mystery team at the Toluca taping facing Jack & Angelico, so it’s probably the same two guys in this match. A four way between these three teams and the tag champs seems the most likely way to squeeze them onto the card. I have no idea who the team could be, AAA’s done nothing to talk up the opponents, and I’m scared to find out. Broken Clown and Rotten Clown might be free. (We’re missing TNA guys on TripleMania, maybe that’s the way in.)
Dave the Clown gets moved up to the tercera because he’s kind of tall. Be tall, everyone. AAA’s spent all year running in place with Venum and Gran Apache and can’t be bothered to book them in the same match even when they’re on the same show. (Venum is not tall. Neither is Mocho Cota Jr. or Soul Rocker, who would be so much more useful and definitely more deserving to be in the tercera than Dave the Clown.) So they’ll just cost each other their matches, and continue running in place. One of these weeks is going to be a lame duck show, airing the week after TripleMania but having taken place before it, and those would be the weeks perfect for matches which couldn’t ever make a big show. That’s never how it works in AAA though, and the Venum/Apache feud will go onto until they someone gets hurt and they just forget about it.
The mystery spot looks like a spot for a mini rudo; it’s odd it’s not one of the Mini Vipers, and makes feel like there’s a Facebook post I missed. I would not have high hopes for whoever’s in that spot.
Next taping is TripleMania. It looks like that’ll air in order, so the next normal taping might not be as long as until the 09/17 weekend.
CMLL (SUN) 07/24/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Domingos Familiares]
1) Black Sugar & Capitán Cobra b Diplomático & Guerrero de la Muerte Tecnicos took 1/3
2) Évola & Mr. Apolo b El Yaqui & Javier Cruz Jr. Rudos took 1/3, only losing the second by excessive violence DQ.
3) Johnny Dinamo & Randy DQ Carlo Roggi & Exterminador Mr. Apolo & Evola ran in for the save, and Yaqui & Javier Cruz made the save.
4) Metatrón, Nautilius, Reyko b El Chakal, Sádico, Thunder Boy Tecnicos took 1/3, Reyko beat Sadico to set up a title match next week, though Sadico took Reyko’s mask after the challenge.
5) Joker, Ráfaga, Ripper b El Divino, Magnum, Vaquero Jr. Rudos took 1/3.
Nothing much exciting happens on these Guadalajara shows, but the booking generally makes sense.
CMLL (TUE) 07/26/2016Arena México [CMLL, CultIcon, thecubsfan, Yahoo! Deportes]
1) Bengala & Sensei b Apocalipsis & Cholo 13:17. Tecnicos took 1/3. Bengala replaced Robin on Friday
2) El Cuatrero, Sangre Azteca, Sansón b Hombre Bala Jr., Magnus, Robin 15:30. Rudos took 1/3. Robin replaced Starman.
3) Puma, Tiger, Virus b Blue Panther Jr., Fuego, Tritón 13:52. Rudos took 2/3.
4) Luciferno b The Panther [lightning] 7:55, Luciferno winning clean with a Luciferno Clash
5) Euforia, Felino, Hechicero b Ángel de Oro, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. 11:00. Rudos took 2/3. Rey Cometa replaced Mascara Dorada (moved to GDL) on Tuesday.
6) Ephesto, Rey Escorpión, Ripper b Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Máximo Sexy 5:50. Rudos took straight falls. Escorpion got away with a foul on Maximo to set up a heavyweight title match show.
Boring show. Escorpion/Maximo might be good next week, but this week wasn’t much. These shows had a low hit rate when they were on Cadena3, but at least it was a shorter show.
No Lucha Underground this week. No Lucha Underground the next five weeks. Lucha Underground is back probably some time in 6 to 10 weeks.
IWRG (SUN) 07/31/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) Fireman vs Guerrero 2000
2) Aramis & Keiser Drago vs Araña de Plata & Picudo Jr.
3) Astro, Black Dragón, Zatura vs Demonio Infernal, Skanda, Violencia Jr.
4) Emperador Azteca, Freelance, Pantera I vs Cerebro Negro, Hip Hop Man, Relámpago
5) Chicano, Hijo del Pantera, Pantera vs Negro Navarro, Toscano, Trauma II
6) Mr. Electro & Trauma I vs Canis Lupus & Máscara Año 2000 Jr.
The four guys who’ve been feuding for the last few months continue feuding.
A show. Escorpion & Maximo had a title match nearly a year ago in Guadalajara, but the video never turned up. They’ve had good matches in their past
CMLL (TUE) 08/02/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Capitán Cobra & Johnny Dinamo vs Carlo Roggi & Linterna
2) Estrellita, Princesa Sugehit, Sanely vs Amapola, La Seductora, Reyna Isis
3) Esfinge, Rey Cometa, Súper Porky vs Kráneo, Olímpico, Vangellys
4) Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada, Stuka Jr. vs Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible
5) Carístico, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Euforia, Mephisto
Caristico said last week that he’d be out a month, so I have no earthly idea why would be advertised for this show. No one’s really explained what the deal with Super Porky, but he’s advertised as well. I wonder if Dorada will be advertised for months after he’s gone.
What happened: CMLL offered a show after the fact as a $1 VOD, to the surprise of all. I only paid a lot of attention to the main event and the rookie debuts. Ultimo Guerrero defeated Michael Elgin in a non title match.
What was good: Elgin/UG was very good. Could skip the rest, though the Stuka trios seemed fine.
What happened: Rey Escorpión cheated to beat Máximo in the main event, setting up a title match next week. Not much else.
What was good: Not much. I guess the semimain was good, but this was a show where most everyone didn’t seem into doing much. Crowd was very into the show and it never bugged them, but this was two boring hours for me.
Where can I watch it:It’s on CMLL’s YouTube channel.(more…)
What happened: Pentagon Jr. won the Latin American championship from Psycho Clown when Pagano ran in. Bestia 666 return as a member of Los Fronterizos and cheated Hector Garza. Gran Apache still hates Venum.
What was good: I liked the main event, even with obvious flaws. First match will look much better as a highlight package than it did as a match.
IWRG (SUN) 07/24/2016Arena Naucalpan [The Gladiatores]
1) Araña de Plata b Omega
2) Black Dragón & Dragón Fly b Demonio Infernal & Hip Hop Man Infernal & Dragon are feuding.
3) Leo, Mike, Rafy, Teelo b Killer Jr., Picudo Jr., Skanda, Violencia Jr.
4) Chicano, Emperador Azteca, Freelance b Diablo Jr., El Hijo del Diablo, Imposible
5) Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Relámpago, Toscano b Hijo del Pantera, Pantera, Pantera I Hijo del Pirata returned here, replacing Cerebro Negro. He snuck in a foul on Pantera for the win.
6) Hijo De Dos Caras, Mr. Electro, Trauma II b Canis Lupus, Danny Casas, Máscara Año 2000 Jr. Trauma II pinned canis to win in straight falls. They’re still talking about mask matches, while Electro and Mascara are also still feuding.
They’ve been doing the Trauma/Canis feud for so long I’m almost starting to believe they’ll actually do the match. Only IWRG (& lucha politics) gives us a team of “Pantera & Pantera I”.
CMLL (MON) 07/25/2016Arena Puebla [CMLL, Culticon, El Popular, thecubsfan]
1) Asturiano, París, Zaeta Roja b Guerrero Espacial, Rey Apocalipsis, Toro Bill Jr. 18:32. Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Cancerbero, Fuerza Chicana, Raziel b Flyer, Pegasso, Tigre Rojo Jr. 15:58. Tigre Rojo Jr. first match here since January. Rudos took 1/3.
3) Lluvia & Sanely b Dalys & Zeuxis 12:09. Sanely replaced Estrellita on Friday. Tecnicas took 2/3, Lluvia defeating by rudas in the third, than asked for a title match next week.
4) Máximo Sexy, Stigma, Valiente b Dragón Rojo Jr., Rey Escorpión, Skándalo 12:40. Tecnicos took 2/3 in a rematch from last week.
5) Ares & Disturbio b Black Tiger & King Jaguar [relevos suicidas] 11:20. Ares & Disturbio took 1/3, sending Tiger & Jaguar into the apuesta match.
6) Black Tiger b King Jaguar [mask, hair] 10:39 in a one fall apuesta match. Tiger took Jaguar’s mask.
7) Último Guerrero DQ Volador Jr. 15:54. UG took 1/3, the last by faking a low blow.
Better show than last week, with UG/Volador worth checking out and the fourth match good. Sanely kind of reminds me of early Dalys, and Dalys today is OK, so it could work out for her.
Last week’s CMLL Tuesday show came off as a show just to do a show. Today looks the same, though at least the matches seem like they might be better. The matches are all just hat-picked names thrown together; Culticon did a preview and I don’t even know how, because I’m struggling to find anything to say about these matches. Virus, Puma and Tiger versus Fuego, Triton and Blue Panther Jr. might be pretty good because of that excellent rudo trios. Cuatrero, Sanson, Hombre Bala and Magnus turning up makes the normally boring Sangre Azteca match. Really, everything else has equally chance of being good, being uninteresting, and starting an angle. Except maybe the opener, which feels like the 45th straight opener with Bengala. It’s not really, but it’s a rematch from 9 days ago.
The show airs at 7:30pm, on CMLL.com & YouTube as normal.
SoCalUncensored has some explanation on the issues with Pentagon & Fenix not signing at Comic-Con. You should read their article for the entire story, but the short version is the FCW promotion had to pay extra to bring in Pentago & Fenix in flight, then they were pulled from the autograph signing the day of the show (and without even being directly told at first. Weirdly, despite it being explained as LU forcing AAA to do it, no one else from LU was stopped from signing at that booth. AAA & LU knew Pentagon & Fenix were doing that appearance, but their claim appears to be that another booth had exclusive rights. (Which might be correct, but doesn’t explain the sequence of events.) The promoter wrote a lot of sad/angry Twitter posts, but deleted most of them later on. This should’ve been handled better by LU & AAA.
07/24 Dragon Gate: Flamita did not win Open the Triangle Gate championship. He’s not on the next tour.
IWRG (WED) 07/27/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) Fly Tiger & Vardeus vs Guerrero 2000 & Keiser Drago
2) Aramis, Fireman, Omega vs Araña de Plata, Keshin Black, Skanda
3) Black Dragón, Galaxy, Hijo del Alebrije vs Eddy Santos, Juana La Loca, Viajero Jr.
4) Dragón Fly vs Demonio Infernal
5) Black Terry, Emperador Azteca, Kanon vs Judas el Traidor, Rosario Negro, Viajero Extremo
Main event (and tercera) follows up on the Copa Higher Power, while the semimain is the young guys feud of late finally reaching a singles match.
This week’s issues: Noches de Coliseo changed time, but I eventually got it – and found out it was a repeat. PROESA didn’t get recorded because the computer I use to record it turned off after a power outage and I never thought to turn it back on. Maybe I should stop recording things on that computer.
The AAA feed fell apart moments after the main event finish. You should probably be watching the official version instead, that’s the one I watch. I recorded the streaming version of Elite on Saturday night and Sunday morning, but the Saturday night file vanished and the Sunday airing skipped the Magnus trios. (The Sunday morning airing always seem to be cutting a match for time reasons.) Again, you should probably just watch the show there. I’ve placed the missing match in the playlist, and it’ll show up in the DB, but there’s no download since I didn’t get it myself.
Playlist includes extra Arena Independente footage. (more…)
CARA LUCHA (SAT) 07/23/2016Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México [Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Kronosport]
1) Astrolux b Black Metal
2) El Dorado Jr. & Gladiola Negra b Demasiado & Látigo Dorado Jr. & Latigo replaced Adrenalina Fly & Demasiado
3) Diamante Azul (CMLL) & Hechicero b Herodes Jr. & Trauma I
4) Lady Maravilla, Templario, Wasson b Brian Villa, Chik Tormenta, Willy Banderas money thrown in
5) Andy Boy, Rayo Star, Sky Man b Crazy King, El Enviado, Estrella Oriental Jr.
6) Danger b Makabre Scheduled as a tag team match with Danger & Mixtico vs Makabre & Rayman for the Casanova (Monterrey) tag titles, but became a singles match with Danger and Makabre.
Tonight’s Arena Puebla show has a couple of big matches. The main event is Volador versus Ultimo Guerrero, a non-title match between two champions who are at the top of CMLL. Both men are a bit predictable in their tactics, but it should still be an exciting match; it’s actually helped by not having a title on the line, because it’s not clear who’s going to win.
The more meaningful match is the semimain event, where Black Tiger & King Jaguar face Ares & Disturbio, in a match where the losing pair immediately will go into a mask versus hair match. King Jaguar lost his mask one year ago, and the way where he was moved to the tecnico side with no explanation suggests Jaguar’s most likely taking another loss. Still, Ares & Disturbio are no real safe bets either, and the drama of an apuesta match involving Puebla locals usually draws in the crowd.
There’s still four more matches, making for a marathon of a Monday show. Skandalo & Stigma continue their never ending feud in the fourth match, teaming with Maximo & Valiente vs Dragon Rojo & Escorpion in a rematch from last week. Sanely, the daughter of Mano Negra first seen at last year’s bodybuilding contest, makes her main show debut tonight by teaming with Lluvia against Dalys & Zeuxis. Tigre Rojo Jr. makes an Arena Puebla appearance after not being seen for many months, and the Batillon del Muerte are back in the opener.
The show starts at 9pm CT, airing on CMLL.com & YouTube as usual.
Alberto del Rio could leave WWE in October due to unhappiness about how he’s been used. CageSide Seats reported it today, and the idea has been brought up elsewhere. The idea is ALberto signed a multiyear deal, but had an opt out after one. Alberto beat John Cena his first day in, but they never followed up on it and he’s not been given much to do after a feud with Kalisto earlier this year. My hunch is WWE is getting a bit of revenge on Del Rio for what he said about them in the press after he left last time; it’s going to be glaring if he’s still not given anything to do after the brand split, but the story about him possibly leaving in a few months might give them an out.
I don’t think it’s going to go like last time with Alberto. Alberto left AAA because he wasn’t happy just doing that. Nothing that has happened with AAA in the time since suggests he’d be any more happy there or they’d be able to more able to afford him, though maybe coming in for a big show or two is possible. Lucha Underground seems incredibly unlikely, their split was very acronymous. Alberto wanted more than CMLL was willing to pay last time. Elite will absolutely throw money at Alberto should he become available – he could still win Liga Elite! – but those dates are few. (Edit: Also, the whole Caristico/Alberto thing.) This would likely be more a story of US indie, non-North American indies and other media appearances if Alberto left, not something like his previous stint. At the end of the day, Alberto went back to WWE to get paid, and WWE’s probably the company that can pay him the most, so he may just swallow his discontent and stay there. It’s something to keep an eye on for now.
PWInsider pointed out the Paley Center, as part of it’s PaleyFest Fall TV screenings, lists Lucha Underground as being shown both in Los Angeles and New York. LA will have a screening & panel discussion on September 9th (Friday) with people from both LU (Van Wagenen, DeJoseph) and From Dusk Till Dawn, and New York will get a screening on September 10th. This is all for new shows, so it’s much more likely these will be the premiere of Season 3. It fits with Catrina’s tease of the show airing in September. Maybe it turns up on El Rey on September 14th, the first Wednesday after?
CMLL (SAT) 07/30/2016Arena Coliseo
1) Leono & Sensei vs Akuma & Artillero
2) Magnus, Star Jr., Starman vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Metálico, Nitro
3) Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa vs Olímpico, Skándalo, Virus
4) Ángel de Oro, Stuka Jr., Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Rey Escorpión
5) Máscara Dorada vs Mephisto
Dorada/Mephisto didn’t take long.
CMLL (SUN) 07/31/2016Arena México
1) Bengala & Leono vs Espanto Jr. & Espíritu Negro
2) Astral, Fantasy, Shockercito vs Demus 3:16, Pequeño Universo 2000, Pequeño Violencia
3) Ephesto, Mephisto, Vangellys vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Kráneo, Rey Escorpión
4) Marcela vs Amapola, Princesa Sugehit, Zeuxis, Sanely, Dalys, Lluvia, Tiffany, Reyna Isis, La Comandante, La Seductora, Skadi [Copa Femenil]
5) Diamante Azul, Máscara Dorada, Mistico vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
CMLL already did a women’s cibernetico to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Arena Mexico, but forgot or just don’t have many ideas for them. That was a ten women match, this is twelve, so Tiffany, Lluvia and Sanely (Arena Mexico debut) all sort of replace Skadi. She may still make her way back into it, since Seductora’s missed a few matches. Estrellita wasn’t in either match and also missed matches of late, so she also might be out for some reason
They’re doing a Vangellys/Rey Escorpion feud! That’s way up there in the most random possible feuds.
CMLL (SAT) 07/23/2016Arena Coliseo
1) Acero & Aéreo b Pequeño Olímpico & Pequeño Universo 2000
2) Oro Jr., Soberano Jr., Starman b Espanto Jr., Espíritu Negro, Hijo del Signo
3) Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa b Misterioso Jr., Sagrado, Tiger Tecnicos took 2/3.
4) Felino, Pierroth, Rey Escorpión b Blue Panther, Robin, Star Jr. Robin & Star Jr. replaced Diamante Azul (double booked in CaraLucha) & Super Porky.
5) Mephisto, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero b Máscara Dorada, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. Mephisto pulled Dorada’s mask to win. Dorada wants a singles match.
Dorada was interviewed on CMLL’s Facebook, where WWE came up but not the contract. The Dorada/WWE situation came up on Super Libre, where they said Dorada had not signed but would be there are rumors he’d be back in WWE in August. Those aren’t really rumors, he’s going to be on the August 26th CWC taping (tournament match or not.) No one is allowed to publicly admit or acknowledge they’ve been signed by WWE until WWE announces it – that’s why the show I went to Saturday had wrestlers talking about it being their last match there but not mentioning WWE at all. It looks like CMLL is going continue booking Dorada normal until he’s gone (except I don’t like his chances of beating Mephisto.)
CMLL (SUN) 07/24/2016Arena México [CMLL]
1) Flyer & Leono b Akuma & Inquisidor
2) Blue Panther Jr., The Panther, Tritón b El Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón
3) La Vaquerita, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit b Amapola, Reyna Isis, Zeuxis Princesa Sugehit replaced Estrellita. Tecnicas took 1/3, Sugehit beating Zeuxis.
4) Hechicero, Pólvora, Rey Escorpión b Bobby Z, Sam Adonis, Vangellys Team Escorpion took 1/3, the last when Rey snuck in a foul on Vangellys.
5) Johnny Idol, Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy b Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas The tecnicos were listed as Sexy Team, maybe a replacement for Bufete del Amor.
Idol seems like he fits with the other two guys, and it’s a big spot for him right away. Sugehit & Zeuxis continuing to feud is a little bit interesting, but probably nothing.
On Twitter, Catrina implied Lucha Underground would be back in September. There has been talk about them coming back in the fall since the late stages of Season 2, but the month they’d return has been unclear; there’s been a many different months floating around. If it’s September, it’s pretty soon, so soon that it’s a surprise they wouldn’t just announce a date at the end of this week’s Season 2 finale.
Pentagon won the AAW heavyweight championship Saturday night outside of Chicago, defeating Sami Callihan. The title change was a surprise; I was there and expecting Sami to stay champion as part of a long title reign. Instead, Pentagon will defend the title against the WWE bound Tomaso Ciampa on a special show in September (date to be announced.)
Mundo beat Pentagon on the Lucha World Cup show and on the taping in Mexico City, which set up this match. That’s the best sounding match on paper, but also one which might have interference or a heel ref. A heavyweight title match – Texano vs Wagner vs Cage is the one they’ve set up on TV – will be match 4, and then who knows after that point. It might be we just get the whole card after this week’s taping.