IWRG (SUN) 01/24 Arena Naucalpan [Black Terry Jr. (photos), Estrellas del Ring]
1) King Drako b Máscara Magnífica
2) Comando Negro & Epidemia b Diva Salvaje & Miss Gaviota
3) Eragon, Hijo del Pantera, Zatura b Alan Extreme, Heavy Boy, Hijo del Signo
4) El Hijo del Diablo & Gringo Loco b Black Terry & Dr. Cerebro
5) Hijo de Pirata Morgan & Pirata Morgan b Brazo de Plata & Brazo de Plata Jr. and Fuerza Guerrera & Juventud Guerrera and Máscara Año 2000 & Máscara Año 2000 Jr. [IWRG IC TAG, semifinal]
Piratas face Navarros next week. Juvi was first eliminated in a shocking turn of events. It actually came down to Pirata Morgan versus both Mascara Ano 2000s. Pirata beat the Junior, then the Senior got DQed for attacking the referee. Way to blow your title shot.
Gringos jumped the Terrible Cerebros on the way to the ring and won fall one. Looked like the Terrible Cerberos were about to win fall two, but Diablo got Dr. Cerebro with his feet on the ropes for the straight fall win.
CMLL (SUN) 01/24 Arena Coliseo
1) Astro Boy & Súper Camaleón b Cholo & Durango Kid
2) Ángel Azteca Jr., Ángel de Plata, Fabián el Gitano b Puma King, Skándalo, Tiger Kid
3) Eléctrico, Mascarita Dorada, Pequeño Olímpico DQ Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Warrior, Pierrothito
4) Rush, Sagrado, Toscano b Dragon Rojo Jr., Misterioso II, Sangre Azteca
5) Negro Casas, Terrible, Texano Jr. b Brazo de Plata, Héctor Garza, Hijo del Fantasma
Negro Casas beat Fantasma with his feet on the ropes. Rush beat Sangre Azteca, which is just tremendously wrong. I am amused by Rush being embarrassingly far behind in the novato de ano voting, despite a much higher profile than Angel de Oro, Delta and Diamante. Minis took the segunda in straight falls, Warrior pulling off Dorada’s mask in the second fall.
CMLL (SUN) 01/24 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Fuego en el Ring]
1) Templario b Baron de Jalisco
2) Katana b Meteoro
3) Astaroth & Saturno b Acertijo & In Memoria
4) Hierro & Palacio Negro b Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno
5) Metro, Stuka Jr., Valiente DQ Cancerbero, Pólvora, Raciel
6) Shocker & Volador Jr. b Rey Bucanero & Último Guerrero
Rey & UG won the first fall, but it was downhill from there. Maybe they were just rusty? Let’s go with that.
DQ in the semimain was for the rudos going nuts and ripping up Metro’s mask.
Ovaciones has a big two page article about the Upcoming CMLL Young Stars, highlighting double champion Mascara Dorada (though the big picture on the top of the page is of Hector Garza, oddly enough.) There’s a short interview with Panico, who says CMLL keeps bringing in more new talent to push everyone else, and it’s tough to support everyone, so they must take advantage of chances they’re given.
Besides Dorada, there’s a whole long list of other promising young wrestlers: all 3 Angels, Delta, Rush, Diamante, Stuka Jr., Metro, Guerrero Maya, Pegasso, Rey Cometa, Fuego, Polvora, Raziel, Cancerbero, Euforia. Lluvia is named as best of the new woman (think that’s the consensus), and Electrico, Astral, Mini Nito and Nino de Acero are mentioned as upcoming minis, though they don’t actually say if they’re good or bad. On the other hand, Maximo is singled out as the guy who has least lived up to his potential, with the author wanting less silliness and more wrestling. Other “wrestlers who have been given the opportunity but have not developed”: Leono, Fabian el Gitano, Sagrado, Trueno, Hooligan, Metalico, Apocalipsis and Ramstein. Some arguable names there for sure. Overall, the cutoff between “Young Star” and “Star” seems iffy, not to mention the guys who are “New” but not that Young.
This turns into a plug for the Gran Alternativa, mentioning all the winners (and listing Chicago Express, Tony Rivera, Tigre Blanco, Psicodelico Jr. and Alan Stone as the non-successful winners.) It’s odd they’d go this way, since they just ran the Gran Alternativa in September and the next would would be a half a year away, but I guess it’s a natural topic when you’re talking about young stars.
In the section on the minis, Tzuki is mentioned as if he’s still on the CMLL roster. Wouldn’t read a lot into that.
A site points out some very famliar lucha libre figures as puzzles.
Coco Rojo responds to Cocolores claims of owning the character. So not interested in this whole dispute.
Box Y Lucha #2958 has Mistico rudo.
DTU (SAT) 02/20 Arena Lopez Mateos [DTU]
1) Mr. Chef vs Flama Azul
2) Masivo vs Flamita, ?, Draztick Boy
3) ? & Titan vs Hormiga & Iron Love
4) Cerebro Negro vs Sadico, Black Fire
5) Último Gladiador vs Angelico
6) Dance Boy, Epitafio, Sepulturero I vs Juan el Ranchero, Magnifico, Paranoiko
7) Crazy Boy vs Aero Boy [5000 tacks]
8) Extreme Tiger vs Joe Lider, Violento Jack, Money Pack
I guess Crazy Boy is unretired from hardcore matches. Or maybe 5000 tacks isn’t really hardcore? I can never tell about these things. First time Angelico has shown up on one of these cards; he’s a foreigner already living in Mexico, dunno how AAA hasn’t contacted him yet.