CMLL (FRI) 09/12/2014 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Mercurio & Pequeño Nitro b Shockercito & Stukita
Rudos took 1/3
2) Misterioso Jr., Puma, Skándalo b Black Panther, Pegasso, Tritón
Rudos took 1/3
3) Cavernario, Pólvora, Rey Escorpión b Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa
Rudos took 1/3 again, with Cavernario beating up Cometa early and beating him clean to end the match.
4) Fuego, Titán, Valiente b Ephesto, Hechicero, Niebla Roja
Fuego replaced Mascara Dorada (moved to different match) on Monday. Tecnicos tooks 2/3.
5) Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada, Volador Jr. DQ Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
Dorada replaced Dragon Rojo (who did appear on commentary). Tecnicos won in straight falls when Thunder attacked everyone, including catching Marco’s Air Italia and slamming him.
6) Diamante Azul, La Máscara, Rush b Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Shocker
Tecnicos took 1/3 in a brawl.
Nothing changes for next Friday. Brazo de Plata is the Dragon Rojo replacement on Tuesday. Thunder deal came off like they were trying to not just turn him rudo, but make him a new top of the card rudo. I would guess more of the same next week.
Lucha Underground resumes taping today. Fenix, Pentagon and Drago are on the shows, but Ricochet/Prince Puma will not be – he’s off to Evolve for the weekend.
IWRG FILL (TUE) 09/16/2014 Arena Naucalpan
1) Black Niko, Vardeus, Voltar vs Mercenario De La Muerte, Sexy Girl, Último Caballero
2) Chicanito & Vampiro Metálico vs Ciclon & Guerrero 2000
3) Black Cobra, Extraño, Galaxy vs Fly Boricua, Magnum 44, Mardux Jr.
4) Alfa, Omega, Sky Ángel vs Atomic Star, Hip Hop Man, Matrix Jr.
5) Chucho el Roto, Dante, Euro, Ironía, Sider, Sky Flay, Super Terry, Yakuza vs Andy Boy, Ciclon, Dr. Killer, Guerrero Mixtico, Haziel, Karate Kid, Orión, Tony Rivera [Copa High Power]
AULL vs Neza Boys
6) Anubis Black, Capitán Muerte, Emperador Azteca, Látigo, Metaleon, Power Bull, Saruman, Zurdog vs Alan Extreme, Apolo Estrada, Avisman, Canis Lupus, Eterno, Golden Magic, Imposible, Veneno [Copa HIgh Power]
FILL vs IWRG
A double Copa High Power show! There are so many interesting cards on Tuesday, and pretty much none on Monday and Wednesday. They’ll do well because it’s targeting the casual fans who will go to a show on a holiday, but the hardcore fan in me really wishes they’d spread those out a bit better.
The focus of tonight’s Arena Mexico card is on next week’s semimain. La Mascara & Rush team with Diamante Azul to face Shocker and Negro Casas (tag team champs) along with Mr. Niebla to set up next week’s title match. Cavernario and Cometa meet in the tercera. Atlantis is not booked this week, while Ultimo Guerrero is in action in the semimain.
IWRG (SUN) 09/14/2014 Arena Naucalpan
1) Alfa & Omega vs Anubis Black & Araña de Plata
2) El Divo & Silver Star vs Freyser & Hip Hop Man
3) Dr. Cerebro, Kenshi Kabuki, Relámpago vs Apolo Estrada Jr., Avisman, El Hijo del Diablo
4) Hijo De Dos Caras, Súper Nova, Veneno vs Demon Clown, Eterno, Oficial AK47
5) Cien Caras Jr., Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Universo 2000 Jr. vs Canis Lupus, Trauma I, Trauma II
IWRG (WED) 09/10/2014Arena Naucalpan [Estrellas del Ring]
1) Galaxy COR Matrix Jr. Matrix was hurt and strechered out.
2) Alfa & Omega b Atomic Star & Capitán Muerte
3) Apolo Estrada Jr., Dragón Celestial, El Divo b Guerrero Mixtico Jr., Hip Hop Man, Picudo Jr. Apolo Estrada replaced Silver Star (and “El Divino” was Monterrey’s El Divo.) Guerrero Mixtico Jr. and Picudo replaced Rayan and Spartan.
4) Chucho el Roto, Ironía, Yakuza b Alan Extreme, Imposible, Miss Gaviota Miss Gaviota & Alan Extreme replaced Kenshi Kabuki & Metaleon. Team AULL wins again.
5) Diva Salvaje, Relámpago, Veneno b Canis Lupus, Eterno, Oficial AK47 [lumberjack strap] luchadors in the match got annoyed with being strapped so much by the lumberjacks, so they stole the strap and attacked the lumberjacks. Tecnicos beat the rudos in the ensuing chaos.
A show! A show with a lot of replacements.
Taya posted her schedule for the next month or so on Facebook (screen captured here). She’s working the 10/10 Tlahuelilpan taping, and also the 10/12 Heroes Inmortales show in San Luis Potosi. That’s the first I’ve seen of a date/location for Heroes Inmortales, but it was expected AAA would start talking about it this weekend on TV. There’s nothing apparent for the show: they’ve got Cancun, a mystery taping and Tlahuelilpan left prior to it, but I’d bet on another random tournament.
The Wrestling Observer, who’s take on the Lucha Underground project makes me look sunny and optimistic, found out the names some of the various characters. Ricky Reyes will be Cortez Castro, Lil Cholo will be Cisco and Esekiel Jackson is using Big Ryck. The evil management figure’s name remains unknown, with the best guess is he’s an actor they brought in (and can be assumed not to be wrestling if that’s the case.) It also mention some deal was worked out to allow Ricochet to continue working Evolve shows. (It’s unmentioned if it extends to Japan.) It had a different more specific version of the end of the second episode: Chavo Guerrero Jr. runs off non-Mesias, lays out Demon, lays out referee one, lays out referee two, lays out B-Boy, lays out Famous B, lays out Sexy Star, goes back to beat up Demon and then sits in a chair and laughs as the show apparently ends. That does seem the right moment to laugh.
PWInsider says Matt Striker and Ivelisse Velez, who both appeared on the first set of Lucha Underground tapings, did sign contracts and are pulling out of conflicting indy dates. They also mention Brian Kendrick was offered a deal but turned it down. The WON is under the impression that everyone else who rumors but who didn’t show up just did not sign a deal. Meltzer is harsh on this point, pointing how much money was spent on the set and how much it costs to tape one episode a night (instead of two or three and doing less dates) and yet apparently were cheap when it came to spending on talent.
Pentagon, Drago and Fenix’s happy messages on Twitter confirm what I’ve heard elsewhere, that they’ll actually get to wrestle this week. The one (largely unintentionally) advantage of doing only one taping a night is there’s only two weeks where those guys do not appear, not a month or two. I’d still mess around with the airing to make sure their are two actual luchadors doing lucha libre on the main event of the first show of something Lucha Underground.
CMLL (TUE) 09/09/2014Arena México [CMLL]
1) Flyer & Star Jr. b Akuma & Espanto Jr.
2) Cachorro, Starman, Súper Halcón Jr. b Disturbio, Hijo del Signo, Nitro Starman replaced Hombre Bala Jr.
3) La Comandante, Tiffany, Zeuxis b La Vaquerita, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit Zeuxis replaced Seductora.
4) Sagrado DQ Fuego [lightning] Sagrado pulled Fuego’s mask for the DQ.
5) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, La Sombra b Boby Zavala, Hombre sin Nombre, Vangellys La Sombra replaced Dragon Rojo (injury) on Monday. Tecnicos took 1/3.
6) Stuka Jr., Super Porky, Valiente b Mephisto, Rey Bucanero, Terrible Tecnicos took 1/3, Valiente beating Mephisto.
Looks like Mephisto/Valiente may be back on, but they have to set it up for a few weeks again (for whatever reason.) Also looks very odd Sombra wasn’t put in the main event and Stuka or Porky put down.
CMLL (TUE) 09/09/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [@acogdl]
1) Infierno & Ráfaga b Metatrón & Virgo Rudos took 2/3.
2) Astral, Bam Bam, Último Dragoncito b Demus 3:16, Pequeño Nitro, Pierrothito Pequeno Nitro replaced Olimpico. Tecnicos took 2/3.
3) Dragon Lee b Virus, Olímpico, Smaker, Esfinge, Raziel, Omar Brunetti, Arkángel de la Muerte, Sky Kid, Cancerbero [cibernetico] GDL vs DF. Eliminator order went (vaguely): Sky Kid, Arkangel, Omar, Raziel, Esfinge, Olimpico and Smaker got each other DQed and Dragon Lee defeated Virus to win. (No idea when Cancerbero went.)
4) Kamaitachi & Okumura b Gallo & Tritón Rudos took 1/3.
5) Atlantis, Rush, Titán b Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero Tecnicos took 2/3, Atlantis sneaking off UG’s mask to beat him for the win.
CMLL (TUE) 09/16/2014Arena México
1) Robin & Sensei vs Cholo & Guerrero Negro Jr.
2) Oro Jr., Starman, Stigma vs Cancerbero, Canelo Casas, Raziel
3) La Vaquerita, Lluvia, Silueta vs Dalys, La Comandante, La Seductora
4) Pegasso vs Virus [lightning]
5) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Tritón vs Ephesto, Hombre sin Nombre, Rey Bucanero
6) Dragón Rojo Jr., Titán, Valiente vs Gran Guerrero, Mephisto, Niebla Roja
That main event is not going to work unless Dragon Rojo recovers fast. Brazo de Plata is the biggest name tecnico who’s not booked anywhere yet, so probably here.
Lucha Underground started taping. There was a lot going on here. There was drama around the contracts given out; in the end, some of the rumored wrestlers either didn’t sign or just didn’t appear on the first two tapings. It was not a great weekend for luchadors: Drago, Fenix and Pentagon Jr. all missed the first two set of tapings due to visa problems, and Blue Demon was said to hurt his knee in a match with Chavo Guerrero. Mesias, as a surprise, did appear under a mask. With everyone else out, Demon, Chavo, Prince Puma (Ricochet) and Johnny Mundo (John Morrison) were the biggest stars on the first set of tapings. Fans who attended the shows were told they would have to sign non disclosure agreements; every match leaked out right after the taping anyway, and it was unclear how many people there were actually fans. (There were claims of the crowd being filled with “extras”, a producer said there were no “seat fillers.”) That’s generally the way you can sum up up the weekend: if you were there (and especially if you were involved with the production), you came away really happy with the main events on both shows and happy with the possibilities. If you were just reading the results on the internet, it came off as another doomed project in the mode of WSX or Lucha Libre USA and far away from the AAA invasion of the US it was billed to be. Tapings resume this weekend, with the Mexicans on the show this week.
CMLL announced the full 09/19 anniversary card. The surprises included a Cavernario versus Rey Cometa hair match, which is a feud that’s been happening on the live shows but had not been shown on TV or publicized by CMLL in any other fashion (but is still happening to draw extra people to the show somehow.) It should be a great match, anyway. The other big news was the absence of Sombra, who defeated Volador for his mask last year. There’s no sign of injury (like Dragon Rojo) or not being available (like Dark Angel) to keep La Sombra off. In fact, it looked like CMLL was planning on putting Sombra in a trios title match as recently as last week, then shuffled around the card for whatever reason. Everyone in the potential trios title match still made on the card except Sombra. There’s probably something more to this but no one’s saying (and Sombra’s just RT-ed fan complaints about him being left, saying nothing on his own.) CMLL announced a press conference to talk about the card, then canceled it a day later because they may be shuffling it around again. CMLL announced the show would air on TV Azteca, then announced the deal was not done yet. Terra (not CMLL) announced the show would air on their website. No one’s retracted that one yet.
Alberto el Patron will make his AAA in ring debut in Cancun this weekend. Alberto told the media his lawyers found the WWE non-compete contract unconstitutional, and he’ll be wrestling right away. Alberto did not appear on the Lucha Underground tapings, but it does appear he’s taking US indy bookings soon (and at high prices.)
Ultimo Guerrero beat La Sombra to win the Universal championship. This was the expected outcome after the mask match was announced. Maybe more importantly, Ultimo Guerrero matches continue to be on autopilot.
The first Myzteziz/Perro match in six years ended with a foul. They’ve picked right up where they left. This time, evil referee Rafael el Maya DQed Myzteziz for a supposed foul on Perro. The other singles match on AAA’s taping in Pachuca saw Super Fly also get DQed for purposefully fouling rival Aerostar. Joe Lider turned rudo on the tapings, joining Perros del Mal.
Thunder returned to CMLL, turning rudo. Super Libre said he’s been training with Satanico, who had his work cut out for him. Thunder was gifted a spot on the Anniversary show over dozens of more deserving people for no obvious reason.
AAA and phone company NYXMobile announced a deal for AAA branded phones. They go on sale this weekend.
Astral won the CMLL minis championship, ending Pequeno Olimpico’s four year (and mostly quiet) title reign.
Marco & Rush won Block A of a tag team title shot tournament in Puebla, which then became a tournament for a trophy instead. They’ll face Block B winners Terrible & Rey Escorpion this Tuesday.
Dragon Rojo announced he’ll be out indefinitely due to a knee injury.
Alan Xtreme lost his hair in Naucalpan after the Neza Boys won via nefarious means.
Malefico took Exterminador’s hair in Guadalajara.
Hijo de Dos Caras kept the IWRG Heavyweight title in Naucalpan over Demon Clown. Demon Clown early won a strange ladder match earlier in the week
CMLL (MON) 09/08/2014Arena Puebla [Periodico Enfoque , Periodico Enfoque (Photos)]
1) Meyer, Paris, Tigre Rojo b Ares, Centauro de Fuego, Siki Ozama Jr. Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Amapola, Dalys, Zeuxis b Dark Angel, Estrellita, Lluvia Rudas took 2/3, Zeuxis using the ropes to beat Esterllita.
3) La Máscara, Super Porky, Valiente, Volador Jr. b Gran Guerrero & Último Guerrero and Atlantis & Stuka Jr. and Kráneo & Morphosis and Ángel de Oro & La Sombra and Rey Escorpión & Terrible and Pólvora & Tiger[seeding battle royal, Copa 81st Anniversary]
4) Atlantis & Stuka Jr. DQ Pólvora & Tiger [Copa 81st Anniversary, eightfinal]
5) Gran Guerrero & Último Guerrero b Ángel de Oro & La Sombra [Copa 81st Anniversary, eightfinal] Angel de Oro replaced Dragon Rojo (injury)
6) Rey Escorpión & Terrible b Kráneo & Morphosis [Copa 81st Anniversary, eightfinal]
7) Valiente & Volador Jr. b La Máscara & Super Porky [Copa 81st Anniversary, eightfinal]
8) Atlantis & Stuka Jr. DQ Gran Guerrero & Último Guerrero [Copa 81st Anniversary, quarterfinal]
9) Rey Escorpión & Terrible b Valiente & Volador Jr. [Copa 81st Anniversary, quarterfinal]
10) Rey Escorpión & Terrible b Atlantis & Stuka Jr. [Copa 81st Anniversary, semifinal]
Terrible won three matches in one day! That’s normally like a month for him. Meanwhile, Atlantis & Stuka advanced to the semifinal without actually winning a match on their own. Tournaments.
CMLL announced a press conference would happen today to talk about the Anniversary card, then canceled it yesterday afternoon. This seems like typical CMLL behavior, the same as happened with the TV Azteca deal, but I’m told there’s more to it – CMLL is considering running a significant angle and/or adding a match because Anniversary ticket sales have been softer than expected. People suggested a seventh match would be added to get Sombra on the card and they may end up being right (though I don’t know if it involves Sombra.) I have no idea what exactly is going on, except it would happen Friday night if it’s happening at all. I don’t even know how likely it is, only that it was enough to postpone the press conference for the moment.
Also, for no obvious reason, Marco and Volador swap places on Sunday. That puts Marco in the main event (w/Rush & Atlantis vs Shocker, Ultimo Guerrero, Gran Guerrero) and Volador in the fourth (w/La Mascara & Titan versus Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys.) It’s possible CMLL could have another title match main event on 09/21 and maybe changed their mind on which one they’re doing.
Today’s Arena Mexico show is now main evented by Super Porky, Valiente, and Stuka Jr. vs Mephisto, Terrible and Rey Bucanero Jr., so maybe they’ll set up Valiente or Stuka versus Mephisto for the holiday show. Guadalajara has Atlantis, Rush, and Titan versus Ultimo Guerrero, Gran Guerrero, and Euforia. The big match there might come from the Mexico/DF cibernetico, which includes Dragon Lee and Virus on opposite teams.
09/09 Dragon Gate: Flamtia (c) b Kzy [OPEN THE BRAVE GATE] – fifth defense, Flamita keeps the title even though he was headed home after this match. That’s pretty unusual (and great) for a Mexican in a Japanese promotion. Gif of the finish here. He was challenged by K-ness for a title match when he returns.
CMLL (TUE) 09/16/2014Arena Puebla
1) Arkalis, Meyer, Paris vs Guerrero Espacial, Rey Apocalipsis, Toro Bill Jr.
2) Dark Angel & Estrellita vs Amapola & Zeuxis
3) Black Panther, Blue Panther, Cachorro vs Misterioso Jr., Pierroth, Sagrado
4) La Máscara, Máscara Dorada, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Shocker, Vangellys
5) Marco Corleone & Rush vs Rey Escorpión & Terrible
Tuesday night show due to Independence day holiday.
Zeuxis/Estrellita is happening again.
The main event isn’t even listed as for a Copa now. I suppose they’d have to get a trophy if it was for one.
Arkalis, the latest name to come up on Puebla’s rotating list of novatos, has been turning up on indy shows since April and appears to be a Centella de Oro trainee.