What happened: The iPPV failed! And then they put up the matches for free on YouTube and I decided I needed to watch them even though it was fairly obvious none of them were going to be any good. (This justification means I’ve got some lightning matches to watch soon.)
In the actual matches, Kamaitachi & Maximo and Super Parka & Negro Casas signed their contracts for hair matches. No one could quite decide if the matches were being announced for the first time there only being finalized (though they had been announced a few days ahead of time.)
This is neither here or there, but this show is the best example not to judge attendance by what it looks like during the first match. It looked dire during the opener and increased greatly by the middle of the card.
You can find my reviews of the two matches which did air as scheduled here.
What was good: Not much. Cavernario was really good and Super Porky had a Super Porky match.
Where can I watch it: They’re on CMLL’s website and YouTube channel, but only linked to a hidden page sent to people on their mailing list. They’re also linked below. One of these matches may turn up on Lucha Azteca(more…)
CMLL (MON) 01/11/2016Arena Puebla [CMLL, thecubsfan]
1) Asturiano & Zaeta Roja b Ares & El Malayo 12:49. Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Nitro, Rey Apocalipsis, Toro Bill Jr. b Black Tiger, Starman, Tigre Rojo Jr. 14:08. Rudos took 1/2.
3) Puma, Sangre Azteca, Tiger b Blue Panther Jr., Stigma, The Panther 21:37. Rudos took 2/3.
4) Atlantis, Blue Panther, Valiente DQ Cavernario, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas 9:29. Tecnicos took 2/3. Mr. Niebla, looking in no condition to wrestle, fouled Atlantis.
5) Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys b La Máscara, Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy 8:41. Rudos took 2/3. Vangellys beat Maximo to set up a title match next week.
Mr. Niebla needing the ropes to be able to stand (and the undercard going very long to wait him out?) were the most notable things on the show.
Batillon del Muerte might be the only act that tries to have something new every time they enter. It’s obviously because they’re hungry – they’d like to be on CMLL main shows as much as we’d like them to be on CMLL main shows – but I was thinking about that back before the iPPVs, when edecan Erika mentioned they were planning two new dance numbers for Christmas and New Years. They did have two new dances! None of the lucahdors, outside the key matches, were thinking “it’s Christmas, we need to have a special new match!” It was the usual match, maybe a little longer, maybe a little shorter, but the no extra special effort into it. That’s kind of what I got out of the third match: it was much longer than usual, but they didn’t (or couldn’t) put any extra thought about how to make it different than usual. They just did about 85% of their regular spots instead of 65% and told no story. You’d hope Rey Apocalipsis and Toro Bill would be rewarded for the sort of creativity to try to make every appeaance a little bit different, trying to come up with something new they could do that time, when that seems in short supply.
CMLL tonight has a main event of Dragon Lee, Marco Corleone, and Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero, Mephisto and Cavernario. It’s the last major show for those going to Japan for FantastiacMania, which includes almost everyone in the main event. Both Dragon Lee & Cavernario have been theorized to be the guy going to Japan, and so this would be the last show for 2016 for the person who is leaving. (I’m skeptical anyone is going now, more on that in a little bit.)
The big match on the show of course involves Maximo, since the same luchador is wrestling every big match in CMLL this month due to lack of internal creativity. Tonight’s opponent is Ripper, based off Ripper cheating Maximo the last couple of weeks.
The show also has the second half of the Copa Junior, with Tiger, Canelo Casas, Sanson, Espanto Jr., the Panther, Esfinge, Super Halcon Jr., and Soberano. Puma won last week, which rules out the rudos (though most of those guys rule themselves out.) Super Halcon won over a weaker field last year, got nothing out of it and no one remembers, so he’s not going to win again. The Panther is headed to Japan, won’t be around for the final for next week, and CMLL can’t be bothered to pretend this might be a realistic issue, so it’s not happening. It’s either Esfinge or Soberano, so Esfinge is the favorite based on how CMLL’s used them.
NJPW put out their lineups for their post-FantasticaMania tour. There’s no TBA space where a new CMLL loanee would fit. It’s possible they could add another match to the shows for someone they bring in from CMLL or even have them just sit out the first few shows, but since both CMLL or NJPW have stopped mentioning the concept of bringing a CMLL luchador over for a year, I think this is a strong sign that it’s no longer happening and no one’s going to Japan for the year.
(NJPW didn’t announce the lineups until after the FantasticaMania tour last year, and Dorada was immediately on the cards to set up his title shot)
Rush got a 3 star-ish match out of Vangellys in this arena; Vangellys is older and slower now, but it’s still an interesting test of super worker Maximo. Best match otherwise is the opener. Rush actually teams with his partners in the main event and I have no problem with that match going very short.
IWRG (SUN) 01/17/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) Galaxy & Kanon vs Acero & Vortize
2) Leo, Mike, Rafy vs Diablo Jr. I, El Hijo del Diablo, Imposible
3) Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro vs Apolo Estrada Jr., Canis Lupus, Eterno
4) Herodes Jr., Hijo De Dos Caras, Veneno vs Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Mosco X Fly, Toscano
5) Negro Navarro, Trauma I, Trauma II vs Hijo del Pantera, Pantera, Pantera I [IWRG IC TRIOS] second defense
What happened: Maximo beat Vangellys to set up a title match next week. Mr. Niebla fouled Atlantis to probably set up a rematch of their trios match. (This was another drunk Mr. Niebla match.) The undercard went really long, probably because of the same drunk Mr. Niebla
What was good: I liked the segunda and felt the tercera went too long, but you may feel the opposite.
Where can I watch it: It’s on CMLL’s YouTube channel. (more…)
IWRG (SUN) 01/10/2016Arena Naucalpan [Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), The Gladiatores]
1) Omega & Shadow Boy b Adrenalina & Power Bull
2) Artillero & Hip Hop Man b Fireman & Rocket
3) Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro b Diablo Jr. 1, El Hijo del Diablo, Imposible Said to be a great match with money thrown in.
4) Hijo del Pantera, Pantera I, Pantera II b Negro Navarro, Trauma I, Trauma II Panteras won and want a title match.
5) Herodes Jr., Hijo De Dos Caras, Veneno DQ Demon Clown, Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Toscano Veneno replaced Danny Casas. Demon Clown was DQed in the first for excessive violence on Herodes, and Herodes faked a foul in the second to draw another DQ for the straight falls win.
Demon Clown versus Herodes Jr. sounds slightly more interesting than Demon Clown versus Hijo de Dos Caras.
Black Terry Jr. called the tercera a MOTYC candidate. Show may air tonight on AYM.
Today’s Puebla show has Maximo teaming up with Marco and La Mascara again. He’s teaming with them more than Rush. They face Rey Bucanero, Terrible and Vangellys (who equally seems to be a Shocker replacement.) Last week’s match slightly teased a Maximo/Vangellys match, which makes sense given Maximo’s main eventing everywhere else right now. Atlantis, Blue Panther, Valiente face Cavernario, Mr. Niebla and Negro Casas in what looks like a likely off night comedy match.
Best match on the show looks like The Panther, Blue Panther Jr. and Stigma versus Puma, Sangre Azteca and Tiger. The Batillon del Muerte return to CMLL action in the second match, though their biggest battle may be getting in a good match with Nitro. Show starts around 9pm Mexico City time on CMLL’s YouTube channel. I’ve got plans other than watching this show, but will have results up later.
Canek rates slamming Andre el Gigante as one his biggest career highlights, but blames his knee injuries on the tremendous strain from performing the move. He says he tore tendons and did not completely heal for twenty years. Canek says he’s never consumed drugs that weren’t prescribed by a doctor. Canek says he’ll continue to wrestle as long as his body holds up.
CMLL (SUN) 01/17/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Ángel Aéreo, Johnny Dinamo, Rey Halcón vs Gitano, Mr. Brisa, Quca
2) El Divino vs El Chakal [OCCIDENTE MIDDLE, tournament]
3) Vaquero Jr. vs Joker [OCCIDENTE MIDDLE, tournament]
4) Cosmos, Frezzer, Neutrón vs Furia Roja, Gran Kenut, Ráfaga
5) Blue Panther & Blue Panther Jr. vs Felino & Puma
Father/son tag team match as main event for this show.
The two winners here join the winners of Divino/Chakal and Vaquero Jr./Joker from last night. If it’s an eight person tournament as normal, there should be semifinals next week and a new champion on 01/31.
TV is slowing down; with no IWRG and no new AAA this week, this lists covers everything which aired except the half shown royal rumble from 2010. I did handle the two matches of the Christmas Day iPPV which did air already. Recaps of the Puebla show from this week (wasn’t around to watch it live) and the missing matches from the iPPV will show up next in line.
CMLL (SAT) 01/09/2016Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Sensei b Apocalipsis
2) Metálico b Star Jr.
3) La Comandante b Skadi
4) Starman b Sansón Terror Chino seemed to face count a Starman win.
5) Luciferno & Sagrado b Fuego & The Panther
6) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Tritón b Boby Z, Cavernario, Felino Triton replaced Super Porky
7) Valiente DQ Comandante Pierroth Pierroth fouled Valiente, then attacked the referee.
A team of guys going to Japan beat by a team of guy who aren’t going to Japan is always funny.
CMLL Elite (SUN) 01/10/2016Arena México [CMLL, MT, Publimetrro]
1) Lluvia & Silueta b La Seductora & Tiffany
2) Fuego & Pegasso b Eterno & Fresero Jr.
3) Guerrero Maya Jr. & Rey Cometa DQ Argos & Karonte Jr. Straight falls, the second when Argos is DQed for unmasking Maya (though Maya fouled ARgos prior.)
4) Blue Panther & Valiente b Bestia 666 & Damián 666 Tecnicos took 1/3. Valiente replaced La Mascara. Halloween tried to help his friends wins and told media he would like an extreme match in Arena Mexico as part of his current retirement tour.
5) Felino, Puma, Tiger b Ángel de Oro, Golden Magic, Super Crazy Cats took 1/3. Felino and Super Crazy made hair match challenges agian.
6) Canek, Carístico, Octagón b Cibernético, Fuerza Guerrera, Volador Jr. Tecnicos took 1/3. Canek’s first match here in about a decade, getting the win. Fuerza and Octagon feuded, with Fuerza unmasking Octagon for the first fall DQ.
Attendance seemed only a bit more than usual; nothing the likes of when Rayo had his match a few weeks ago. Maybe they should’ve run the Canek return during the holidays. Maybe they just wanted it to feel like past memories for Canek, main eventing a show in a large depressingly empty building. Edit: the people who were there did greet Canek loudly.
Apuesta challenges on these show are just white noise at this point.
CMLL (SAT) 01/16/2016Arena Coliseo
1) Aéreo vs Pequeño Universo 2000
2) Leono vs Metálico
3) Magnus vs Hijo del Signo
4) Hombre Bala Jr. vs Raziel
5) Blue Panther Jr. vs Skándalo
6) Ángel de Oro & Rey Cometa vs Gran Guerrero & Ripper
7) Blue Panther, La Máscara, Máximo Sexy vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Niebla Roja
A Coliseo lineup without the FantasticaMania guys could be worse, I get.
RobViper and I talk for about 90 minutes about the big shows. There’s less craziness going on this time, so we talk detail about the FantasticaMania shows, the Guerra de Titanes lineup, and the upcoming Lucha Underground season (with very slight spoilers.) We try to figure out if there’s going to be any title changes in Japan, what might be the best way forward for the AAA heavyweight title and I randomly figure out when Ultima Lucha 2 is airing for no apparent reason.
I’m less sick than I was, but still sick enough to be loudly drinking water on air. Only one moment where I seemed like I might die on air via coughing, so that’s good. No opening music, so you can get straight into the awkward opening. We’ll be back at some point.
CMLL (FRI) 01/08/2016Arena México [CMLL, Notimex, thecubsfan]
1) Camorra & Espiritu Negro b Bengala & Leono 14:17. Rudos took 1/3.
2) Canelo Casas, Okumura, Virus b Esfinge, Pegasso, Stigma 14:48. Rudos took 1/3.
3) Dalys b Silueta [lightning] Dalys won via powerbomb on 8:23.
4) La Máscara, Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy b Kamaitachi, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas 17:26. Tecnicos took 1/3, with Marco and Mascara trying to win (and getting along with Maximo) on this show.
5) Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Thunder b Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero 9:37. Rey Escorpion was announced, but Polvora was in his place by Friday. Revolucionarios won 1/3. Thunder used brass knuckles to knock out Ultimo Guerrero, then fouled Euforia to get the win. UG was stretchered out. Euforia demanded a singles match with
6) Cibernético & Volador Jr. b Carístico & Rush [Relevos Increíbles] 6:35. Straight fall win for the Cibernetico team, thanks to Rush betraying Caristico and eventually dropping him with the Rush Driver. Both Cibernetico and Caristico wanted matches Rush, who refused them.
Not really any good matches on the show, with the main event being more of an angle than a match. You didn’t miss much if you missed this.
Today’s Arena Coliseo show has Valiente versus Pierroth in a singles match. This is Comandante Pierroth’s first CMLL singles match; I can’t find a singles match under a previous name, but my records might have avoided them. He’s had them on indy shows.
Sombra had his debut match last night in NXT. He’s wrestling under his real name and vaguely in his Ingobernable gimmick (same look, white gear) and same double knee smash. I guess he could end up keeping the gimmick, but it’s more likely they just haven’t come up with his WWE character yet or don’t want to debut it. It’s just about getting live ring time for him, and he says he has a lot to learn, including the language. That Twitter message was in Spanish – he’s probably not going to be close to debuting on TV until he’s posting in English. (Not a requirement, just a useful indicator.)
This seemed liked around the time he might first show up, though I would’ve guessed it’d be a few weeks longer: when NXT starts running live tours in bigger venues, it’s probably going to be the crew who’s on TV, meaning (many) people who are signed to WWE but aren’t part of the NXT TV program will now get a chance to work shows in Florida. Debuting now suggests WWE likes what they’ve seen of him so far – or they wanted to sprinkle in the debuts.
CMLL (FRI) 01/15/2016Arena México
1) Shockercito & Stukita vs Mercurio & Pierrothito
2) Estrellita, Marcela, Silueta vs Dalys, Reyna Isis, Zeuxis
3) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Rey Cometa vs Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys
4) La Máscara, Super Parka, Valiente vs Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
5) Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Thunder vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja
6) Carístico vs Rush
Caristico versus Rush is the main event as of this afternoon. This morning, it was listed as Cibernetico versus Rush. Even CMLL apparently didn’t know what next week’s main event would be when they left the buildings – the fans definitely had no idea. The bit where the rudo walks out rather the answering a challenge is often entertaining but it’s one completely overdone on CMLL (twice a card like last night is common) and is counter productive when they’re actually trying to sell the match to those fans.
In the case, it seems like CMLL had no idea Cibernetico was already booked in Texas on Friday night.
Caristico versus Rush is one of the bigger matches CMLL could do, one of the bigger first time matches for sure. It’s easy thing to be able to throw out there when the roster depth isn’t as usual (though maybe it’s not a match you should just be throwing out there.)
Probably a one week wait for Thunder/Euforia. Super Parka went from having no future bookings on Wednesday evening to being listed for a show by Saturday morning. Marcela exists again, assuming she actually exists.
Anniversary shows usually do well here. Funcion Estelar, writing about the history of the building, has the capacity at 2846 and they should end up around that number. The semimain should be very good.