What better way to start a preview then with a review:
previous CMLL major shows
03/20/09: Ultimo Guerrero beats Villano V
(there is no 12/08 major show)
09/19/08: Villano V beats Blue Panther
06/13/08: Heavy Metal loses to Perro Jr. in 10 man cage match
05/23/08: Toscano b Heavy Metal & Perro Jr. in a hair
03/21/08: Perro Jr. beats Hector Garza’s hair
It’s been 14 months since the last strongly build CMLL main event. It’ll be a couple more, at least, before the next one. I’ve spent enough time on why this match is boring, why this show is boring, and don’t feel like I’ve got anything new or special left to say about it. If CMLL can draw a great crowd with this match and this build, great for them, bad for the rest of us. This show should not be encouraged or endorsed.
The upside to the main event cage match is there’s no certain winner. The down side is there’s plenty of people who could lose, without it meaning much the next day. As usual, I’ll try to separate this out into groups, but the difference between the groups are slighter than ever.
Odds on the losers:
Would be really dumb to lose
– Negro Casas – strong shot to get the win as momentum
– Shocker – would be a total waste
– Hector Garza – Puebla injury sets up a nice near loss storyline
– Blue Panther – would be the most anti-climatic loss of his career, if not for the whole mask thing
– Mictlan – what point there is to having him would be gone
– Terrible – ought to lose his hair somewhat more meaningful the first time
– Texano Jr. – why waste the really good elevation by knocking him back down in a meaningless way?
Maybe, but Maybe Later
– Toscano – would they risk him actually showing up?
– Maximo – already lost his hair once this year
– Ray Mendoza Jr. – still too soon
– Yujiro – supposed to be around for a few more months, might as well save it
– Black Warrior – quite clearly has grown his hair out the last few months, much longer than usual. Maybe too obvious?
– Shigeo Okumura – however, the lowest guy on totem pole is usually one of the first few guys out
– Heavy Metal – lost this match last year, which maybe is the only reason he doesn’t lose it this year
Winners are tougher to figure. Shocker, Garza, Mictlan, Texano, Terrible and Negro all seem like guys who get credited with the win, and everyone else might be the first one out, I guess.
Predictions & Previews:
Plan is to do have a post up for live coverage and comments tonight, probably sometime 9ish.