Put the Sombra/Ephesto on the watch list. For me, already selling people on Sombra, this was more a revelation about Ephesto. I’ve not been really high on him, but he was such the great veteran leading a youngster, turning it from a collection of high spots to an actual competition.
The video (now that it’s finally all up) can sell you more on the match than I can.
The minis match was cut down to little time. This is going to sound strange, given what I’ve said before, but there is a point where, if a match is going to be given so little time anyway, maybe they would’ve made better use of the 3 segments in hyping the main event. This was going to be a one match show either way.
AAA (THU) 12/25 Auditorio de Tijuana [SuperLuchas]
2) Black Abyss, Histeria, Psicosis II b Arandu, Extreme Tiger, TJ Boy
3) Joe Lider & Nicho el Millionario b Jack Evans & Teddy Hart [AAA TAG]
4) Alex Koslov, Rocky Romero, X-Pac b Chuck Palumbo, Damian 666, Konnan
Yep, that’s Damian 666 in the main event. The post has video, with most of the main event. Could mean something is going down with the Perros and AAA. Could mean Rellik just couldn’t get there and they found a local replacement. I dunno.
indy (THU) 12/25 Arena Olimpico Laguna de Gomez Palacio [El Siglo de Torreon]
1) Mini Maximo b Pentagoncito
2) Guerrero Inca b Semental
3) Euforia, Misterioso II, Mr. Guerrero b Angel de Oro, Hooligan, Scriba Jr.
4) Atlantis, Dragon Rojo Jr., Ephesto b Blue Panther, Stuka Jr., Ultimo Guerrero
In the end, Ultimo Guerrero could not stand being a tecnico any longer and turned on his partner. Same deal with Hooligan in the semimain.
CMLL (FRI) 12/26 Arena Mexico [Ovaciones, ESTO]
1) Puma King & Tiger Kid b Sensei & Trueno
2) Hiroka, Mima Shimoda, Princesa Sujei b Lady Apache, Marcela, Princesa Blanca
3) Skandalo b Angel de Oro [lightning]
4) Máscara Púrpura, Stuka Jr., Valiente b Satánico, Shigeo Okumura, Virus
5) Black Warrior, Dragon Rojo Jr., Sangre Azteca b Dos Caras Jr., Hijo del Fantasma, Sagrado
6) Averno, Terrible, Texano Jr. b La Máscara, Místico, Volador Jr.
Averno got away with a foul in third fall for the main event win. Sangre Azteca led his new team to victory the first time out. ESTO says the lightning match went 7 minutes.
Tecnicas lost in straight falls, and CMLL.com thinks it’s Marcela who’s turning ruda. Huh.
ESTO said the turnout was good, but the crowd was quiet until the main event.
Box Y Lucha posted articles…
– AAA Notes Column says Arturo Rivera was in a bad car accident coming back from the last TV taping. Hope he’s doing better.
– Lluvia talks about why she got into lucha libre (she’s Herodes’ niece and had been training for only 14 months before debuting)
– Villano 3 talking about touring the pacific Coast
CMLL (TUE) 12/30 Arena Mexico
1) Sombra de Plata & Trueno vs Calígula & Méssala
2) Lady Apache, Lluvia, Yezca vs La Seductora, Medussa, Princesa Sujei
3) Bam Bam, Mascarita Dorada, Último Dragoncito vs Pequeño Damian 666, Pequeño Halloween, Pequeño Warrior
4) Dos Caras Jr., Sagrado, Valiente vs Black Warrior, Dragon Rojo Jr., Sangre Azteca
5) Volador Jr. vs Último Guerrero
Main event is non-title.
CMLL (FRI) 01/02 Arena Mexico
1) Camorra & Policeman vs Astro Boy & Tony Rivera
2) Marcela, Princesa Blanca, Sahori vs Amapola, Hiroka, La Nazi
3) Ángel Azteca Jr. vs Puma King [lightning]
4) Máximo, Mictlán, Stuka Jr. vs Euforia, Nosferatu, Shigeo Okumura
5) Dragon Rojo Jr., Negro Casas, Sangre Azteca vs La Máscara, Mascara Dorada, Sagrado
6) La Sombra, Shocker, Volador Jr. vs Black Warrior, Terrible, Texano Jr.
All you need to ever know about CMLL groups is summed up right here – show #4 of Poder Mexica has them all on the card but not teaming up. What does being a group in CMLL actually mean?
I feel like all of AAA’s booking could be summed up by Pepe Casas being fired for doing nothing in particular, Hijo de Tirantes replacing him, and Hijo de Tirantes grabbing Zorro’s cane to stop him from using it. It could be just Hijo de Tirantes fault, but it didn’t feel atypical.
Amazing that they couldn’t even have 1 complete show with Konnan being in complete control before they took that complete control away. Losing a main event after being fouled is not a major crime, it’s something that happens pretty regularly (in all promotions). Equally amazing that a promotion priding itself on pushing the young guys and giving talent a chance is centering it’s promotion around a feud that peaked around 1992.
CMLL (FRI) 12/26 Arena Mexico [ESTO, El Siglo de Torreon, Ovaciones]
1) Sensei & Trueno vs Puma King & Tiger Kid
2) Lady Apache, Marcela, Princesa Blanca vs Hiroka, Mima Shimoda, Princesa Sujei
3) Angel de Oro vs Skandalo [lightning]
4) Máscara Púrpura, Stuka Jr., Valiente vs Satánico, Shigeo Okumura, Virus
5) Dos Caras Jr., Hijo del Fantasma, Sagrado vs Black Warrior, Dragon Rojo Jr., Sangre Azteca
6) La Máscara, Místico, Volador Jr. vs Averno, Terrible, Texano Jr.
The big story is the first team up of Poder Mexica. At least, since they’ve been named that – they’ve been teaming up for a couple weeks in Puebla. Main event is usual Mistico & high flyers vs Averno & Hijos. Averno & Mistico will be off to Japan by this time next week, leaving no real obvious main event. Maybe Poder Mexica is going to the top really quick?
On the undercard, this is Angel de Oro’s big chance to showcase himself out of the novato matches (Skandalo will also be present) and Marcela and Princesa Blanca are teaming up again after not getting along last week. I’m guessing Blanca’s joining her husband on the rudo side.
The latest Wrestling Observer has a story on a brawl at the AAA Christmas party. Apparently, Elegido & Teddy Hart had been having issues in the ring*, but the fight wasn’t really their fault – it was Joe Lider instigating (and assisted by everyone enjoying their liquor.) The story goes, Lider threw bread at Elegido, Elegido didn’t see who threw it, so Lider helpfully passed on the blame to Teddy. Elegdio slapped Teddy, Jack hit Elegido, those two started to at it, Parka punched Jack, and it turned into chaos from there. While everyone eventually figured out it was all Lider’s fault (and are angry at him), no one actually got punished for it, they just had to shake hands.
* – The funny thing is, I went back and checked, and I have Elegido and Teddy only working together twice months ago. So either there’s lots of more recent matches I’m missing, or two matches was enough to get Elegido and Teddy Hart to dislike each other. I could see either way.
As I mentioned on the Lucha Times post, AAA usually uses the Christmas Party as in between matches for the Best Of. But then, lots of things have changed about AAA this year, that’d be the least of it.
WON also reports sellouts of 8,000 and 7,000 on the last two AAA tapings.
I watched this over such a skattered amount of time, I don’t recall what I actually wanted to say about it except for one obvious part – Toscano is amazingly disliked. Mistico gets much less boos. He’s not good, especially as a tecnico, and isn’t worth a semimain spot at this point, but the booing is even far beyond that, if that makes any sense. I don’t know if Toscano would have any chance if he was good, and it seems very strange they were in a hurry to turn him tecnico. Maybe it had nothing to do with him, just wanting to get the Guerreros down to 3 men? I don’t know, it’s just very strange.
Maybe it’s because he hasn’t been on FSE much lately, but seeing Dos Caras Jr. try new stuff was strange and disorienting. I’ll get used to it if he can.
indy (SUN) 12/28 Gimnasio el Ranchero [El Siglo de Torreon]
1) Cadetes de la Atlantida I & Cadetes de la Atlantida II vs Insolito & Rey Dragon
2) Brillante & Piloto Negro vs Mensajero de la Muerte & Super Leopardo
3) La Sombra vs Stuka Jr., Misterioso II, Angel de Oro, Ephesto, Hooligan, Guerrero Inca, Semental [cibernetico]
Main event is a special Best Local Wrestler In CMLL cibernetico. I guess Ultimo Guerrero isn’t in it to make it winnable for someone else. (Though really Sombra!)
The newest Wrestling Observer says a lot of things that we should chat about when we have a chance (Mini Psicosis III is Jerrito Estrada, logically enough), but the vital for the part for this post is AAA says they’re not running another taping until 01/17. That means AAA is running a couple of best episodes to stretch. In the past, they’ve gone to Best Of right after Guerra de Tirantes, saving the Guerrero taping for when they started back up again. I’m going with the idea they’re following the same pattern here, but we’ll know for sure after this weekend.
AAA-US: last show before GdT with the epic Pirata/Elegido (chain) and Brazo/Brazo matches.
52MX: The next storyline is just starting out, so we’ll get a better idea what’s going after the minis match turns up one of these shows. Since the Arena Coliseo Tag feud was over on the other show, maybe the minis ends up here.
FSE: so maybe the lightning match turns up here? It’s the right length, it’s about the right positon to be carried over from the Friday show? BTW, this show isn’t listed next week.
AAA-MEX: Best of, part 1. With any hope, like most years, the framing Best Of footage will be shot at Christmas party. Sounded like quite the party!
CMLL: LA MASCARA in the main event. This is the offseason.
CMLL WFS (FRI) 12/19 Velvet Night Club, DF [univsion]
1) Bam Bam b Pequeño Damian 666 [CMLL MINI]
2) Dark Angel ?? La Nazi, Princesa Sujei
3) Dos Caras Jr., Mark Corleone, Shocker ?? Black Warrior, Mr. Niebla, Rey Bucanero
No results for the matches, but you can find a picture of La Mascara “sensually dancing.”
CMLL (SAT) 12/20 Centro de Convenciones de Ciudad Madero, Tamaulipas [box y lucha]
1) Baby Lover & Baby Ruiz b King Boy & Mercurio
2) Alex Montana Jr., Super Lobo, Transmetal b Chuntaro, Darling Boy, Jimmy Torres
3) Mascarita Dorada & Tzuki b Pequeño Damian 666 & Pequeño Halloween
4) Euforia, Nosferatu, Satánico b Astro Boy, Brazo de Platino, Oro Negro
5) La Máscara, Mascara Dorada, Valiente DQ Black Warrior, Nitro, Sangre Azteca
6) Maximo, Sagrado, Volador Jr. DQ Negro Casas, Terrible, Texano Jr.
7) Mephisto & Místico b Averno & Dos Caras Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
Sixth anniversary show for the local group. Hector Garza missing the show caused changes on the tecnico side for the top 4 matches. It does say Tzuki worked the show, for real. Partners actually got along in the main event, which makes this show notable on it’s own. DQ in the semimain was for local wrestler Loco Castillo attacking Terrible Texano Jr. with a chair for no discernible reason (except he’s surely losing his hair at some point.)
AAA (SUN) 12/21 Arena Coliseo Monterrey [RFC]
1) Rey Imagen b Sicario
2) Aguila Extrema & Baby Fox b Jorobad I & Jorobad II
3) Diabolik & Guerrero Blanco b Ejecutor & mr. Secuestro
4) Relampago Azul, TDN, Virtual X b Rio Bravo, Tigre Cota, Tito Santana II
5) Laredo Kid & Silver King b Monje Negro Jr. & Pimpinela Escarlata
CMLL (TUE) 12/23 Arena Mexico [ESTO]
1) Pegasso & Rey Cometa b Artillero & Súper Comando
2) Mascarita Dorada, Shockercito, Último Dragoncito DQ Pequeño Universo 2000, Pequeño Violencia, Pequeño Warrior
3) Euforia, Nosferatu, Skandalo b Flash, Leono, Mictlán
4) Dragon Rojo Jr., Felino, Vangelis b Hijo del Fantasma, La Máscara, Valiente
5) Lizmark Jr., Negro Casas, Último Guerrero DQ Dos Caras Jr., Toscano, Volador Jr.
Ultimo Guerrero faked a foul in the main event. Warrior fouled Dorada in the segunda.
CMLL (TUE) 12/23 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [MT]
7) Máximo, Sagrado, Shocker DQ Black Warrior, Mr. Niebla, Rey Bucanero
Rey Bucanero lost when Maximo faked a foul. Those two had feuded all match and discussed a title match (Rey’s) or a hair vs hair match. No result from the semimain, but Gallo keeps talking about putting his mask on the line against Satanico’s hair.
Mistico will be visiting Fray Tormenta on Friday to make peace. Tormenta had ealrier complained about Mistico (and CMLL) forgetting him after he helped introduce Mistico (and, according to the backstory, raised Mistico in his orphanage.) I’m sure the show tomorrow is part of this.
Sangre Azteca’s group gets the back cover of Ovaciones. Page 18 of Ovaciones has a full page head shot of Rey Misterio, and it gives the impression RAW will only be on Canal 5. Also, it’s now weird seeing a masked photo of Misterio in Ovaciones without seeing the unmasked one next to it.
Everyone else has a report of the last Congress Theater show, and I didn’t go. Slipping. Of course, one of those appears to be the promoter of the show recapping their own show, so I don’t know.
El Manana looks back at the year in Nuevo Laredo lucha libre. As usual, they’re big Laredo Kid (and AAA) fans.
IWRG (THU) 12/25 Arena Naucalpan [IWRG]
1) Imperio Azteca vs Soldado del Diablo
2) Goleador & Miss Gaviota vs Antaris & Avisman
3) Eragon, Jack, Pendulo vs Capitán Muerte, Trauma I, Trauma II
4) Freelance vs Tetsuya [IWRG IC LIGHT]
5) Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro vs Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro [IWRG IC TRIOS]
Black Terry’s team is trying to unify the titles, just like the Oficials had before they lost the DF Trios to the other team. The talent is so stretched out on Christmas, IWRG is bringing no one in!
CMLL (TUE) 12/30 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Quazar vs Carlo Roggi
2) La Malinche & Silueta vs Atenea & Magnifica
3) Neutrón vs Rafaga
4) Metatron vs Mr. Trueno [OCCIDENTE MIDDLE]
5) Angel de Oro & Mascara Dorada vs Máscara Mágica & Satánico
6) Hijo del Fantasma, Máximo, Shocker vs Atlantis, Negro Casas, Rey Bucanero
CMLL has Neutron in the title match to, but that is clearly not correct. Metatron was the last champ last time we had a champ here (January 7, 2007) and Mr. Trueno and Metatron have been feuding for the last two weeks, so that’s it. Big week for Angel de Oro!
CMLL held a newsworthy press conference today. There will probably be a few more background quotes in the days to come, but it seems worthwhile to focus on the news items tonight.
The next Sunday special show at Arena Mexico will be 01/11 and be called La Hora Cero. As a special main event, and working off feuding in recent minis matches on Sunday, there will be the first CMLL Cage Match of Mini Estrellas. The loser will lose their mask. Panico was not definite on a lineup, but Pierrothito, Mini Universo 2000 and Mascarita Dorada talked at the press conference and are in for sure. CMLL.com adds Shockercito, Mini Olimpico, Pequeno Ninja, Pequeno Warrior and Acero de Oro, which makes 8. 8 is about normal for this sort of cage match, but it’s minis so who’s to say what normal is. I can’t think of any more mini rudos who still have their mask, though.
This, in fact, would probably be the main event minis match I was talking about on Sunday. Who could’ve known. Women keep on waiting.
In more ticket selling news, CMLL officially announced Guadalajara’s First Sunday Of The Month discounted ticket deal and mentioned Arena Puebla would be doing the same thing on the First Monday of the month.
“Poder Mexica” translated to Mexico Power. Sound familiar? (Besides the ex-Boricua guy!) I’m going with the idea that this is CMLL/Sangre being completely unaware of what AAA is doing than a purposeful rip. Either way is very silly, but Sangre Azteca’s been promoting that name since he left the Guerreros so we’re likely stuck with it. (And we’re surely getting the Mexican Powers back in force in AAA just so they can prove they were there first.)
If you check out Sangre’s website, you’ll notice that it’s actually open and it already has a link for this group. I wonder if the website was done before the announcement of the group was ready.
I like the makeup of the group. They’re not three similar guys, really three guys at very different career points, but three guys who’s strengths and weaknesses balance out pretty well. My concern is how they fit in the greater rudo sphere:
Current Rudo Factions
Pesta Negra: Negro Casas, Felino, Heavy Metal, Mr. Niebla
Guerreros de la Atlantida: Atlantis, Ultimo Guerrero, Rey Bucanero
Villanos: Villano III, Villano IV, Villano V
Hijos del Averno: Averno, Mephisto, Ephesto, Texano Jr., Terrible
Poder Mexica: Sangre Azteca, Black Warrior, Dragon Rojo Jr.
Infernales: Satanico, Euforia, Nosferatu
Tuareg: Nitro, Dr. X, Loco Max, Skandalo, Hooligan, Arkangel
7! We may be overpopulated here. I mean, it’s easier to write the list of notable people who are not in groups.
* Lizmark Jr. (who’d be in one of he was around long enough)
* Virus (who is essentially the fourth Infernal)
* Okumura (who is foreign and therefore doesn’t count – hey, I didn’t make up the rules)
* Vangelis (who no one would want in their group)
* Misterioso II
Alex is right! Anyway, I know this is for sure different, I just don’t know if it’s good or bad. I would think forming a 7th group wouldn’t be a good idea if you have six other ones, but at least this one seems to have some thought behind it.
At the same time, there’s zero tecnico groups. There’s Garza’s thing where no one knew who was in it and no one remembered it a week later. There’s Mistico’s idea for a group (and it’s funny to think Sangre Azteca has enough pull to form a group but Mistico does not), but there’s an obvious disinterest for tecnico groups by CMLL programmers. There’s no other obvious reason it’d be so lopsided. This whole format reminds move of a Japanese setup, where you various heel groups and one company tecnico army led by the company ace to fight them. The difference is those groupings are usually tightly adhered to, while it’s an exception for a tercera or higher rudo side to be completely members of one group or another. Maybe that’ll change – they seem to be going this way with keeping the Hijos del Averno together.
Getting back to Sangre Azteca – the idea of the guy who probably would’ve won ‘most underutilized’ multiple times if I was doing these awards in the late 90s and early 00s now leading an important faction (not La Alianaza) is pretty cool.
Alex Koslov updated his myspace to talk about his jump to AAA (again)
That’s how I began to feel in CMLL. I’ve wrestled some of the best wrestlers in Mexico. And it was an awesome experience. And I’ve learned a lot.. But doing the same thing over and over gets old. When something gets old for me, I need to make a move. I need to get away from it because it’s not fun anymore. Towards the last several months before my departure from CMLL, I was at that point where I needed to go, I needed to make a change. The passion in me was asleep, the soul in me was not stimulated anymore. And that is exactly the reason of the nature in which I left. It was a way for me to wake up my soul and my passion again. It had to be dramatic and it had to be impactful. I meant to make shockwaves! It was quite an adrenaline rush, and it definitely awoke me! There is people who think I left CMLL for AAA for the money. And it just distrurbs me because these people have no idea. I am a person that acts on emotion. It’s never been about the money. It’s always been about being passionate about what you do and enjoying what you do.
When I speak negative, I speak for my companions in CMLL who I feel are not getting the opportunity they trully deserve, guys like Mesterioso Jr, guys like Efesto, guys like Terrible, guys like Texano Jr.
There’s more about CMLL fans who hate AAA and CMLL being outdated. I wish we were talking about Alex Koslov’s awesome matches in AAA by now. I’m reluctant to disagree with Alex, because I like him and appreciate it when luchadors give their real opinions, but – who are the AAA equivalents of Mistersioso, Ephesto, Terrible, and Texano? There needs to be more opportunities all over the place is all I’m saying.
IWRG (FRI) 12/19 Arena Naucalpan [Al Filo del Ring]
1) Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro b Freelance, Jack, Zatura
2) Hijo del Cien Caras & Mascara Ano 2000 Jr. b Scorpio Jr. & Zumbido [IWRG IC TAG]
Dinamitas won clean. This was also the award show, and Oficials won for best trio. Freelance, Referee Reyes Rosas, Black Terry, Zumbido, and the Dinamitas also won awards.
AAA (SAT) 12/20 Deportivo Tlalli, Tlanepantla, EdM [Al Filo del Ring]
3) Coco Loco L Coco Pelos, Payaso Caronna, Payaso Miedo, Payaso Terror, Coco Tiger [mask]
4) Alex Koslov & Mesias b Konnan & Ozz
The Cocos match actually came down to Loco, Pelos, and Tiger left. Pelos dumbly martinete-d Tiger, getting himself DQed and saving Tiger, then Loco beat Pelos. Pelos is Mario Lopez, presumably not the one from Saved By The Bell. Al Filo del Ring is going on vacation for the rest of the year, good for him.