AAA is an easy one to call from a match standpoint – it’s just what they’re got left over from Xalapa. The news on this show is what they talk about in between the matches and what they’re saying from Guerra de Titanes. (I think I’ll be elsewhere by the time this starts, so you’ll have to tell me.)
CMLL’s TV is a lot harder. LATV switched to showing Friday matches last week. Not sure if that’s a one off thing – a weird thing, since those are the same matches airing on Azteca – or if they’ll be back to Sunday. Azteca is now an extra week behind because of the week they were off; they’ll leap ahead at some point, but hopefully not the next two weeks.
IWRG Wednesday show is supposed to air Saturday at 1pm on AYM, but AYM’s weekend schedule almost means nothing. That Sunday night airing is more reliable.
A show with two recaps to come! It’s the last week of C3, and the restart of new AAA. I’ve already written about Puebla (which had no good matches) and the Friday night iPPV (which had a pretty good main event!)
The problem with a five category system is you have two matches you feel differently rated the same. The great thing is I Don’t Care.
IWRG (WED) 11/25/2015Arena Naucalpan [The Gladiatores]
1) Guerrero 2000 & Power Bull b Enigma & Voltar
2) Black Dragón & Galaxy b Aramis & Muerte Infernal Muerte Infernal replaced (?) Matrix Jr.
3) Ángel De La Muerte I, Ángel De La Muerte II, Vampiro Metálico b Fireman, Rocket, Shadow Boy
4) Atomic Star, Canis Lupus, Violencia Jr. b Centvrión, Hijo del Alebrije, Látigo
5) Black Terry b Eterno Eterno got in a foul on Terry, but Terry surprised him with a cradle to win and remain maestro of IWRG. Terry and Eterno agreed to a hair match sometime next month.
Hair match should be pretty fun.
We were wondering how AAA would fill the TV gap without Guerra de Titanes airing. It turns out they quietly told people the 12/05 Arena Neza show is now a TV taping. The card is headlined by Rey Mysterio and Brian Cage in a trios match and is a five match card, so it works as filler material. There’s a Jack Evans, Angelico, Australian Suicide vs Daga, Pentagon Jr., Joe Lider trios match that could be little good. It’s unclear why AAA didn’t announce this at the same time they were moving Guerra de Titanes; it looks like they made the decision to put this show on TV before their announcement of canceling Guerra de Titanes yesterday.
On his MLW podcast, Konnan said he didn’t know what the deal was with Guerra de Titanes being canceled, was told it was happening on Sunday, and believes it’s being rescheduled for a new date and time. I have other notes from the podcast here; the other real news is the Que Viva El Rey shows were as much money losing shows as it looked in the pictures. Konnan also says WWE had tryouts with Mexican luchadors again, but one at a time so no one could tell who else tried out. Dark Angel was involved in the tryouts and was specifically mentioned as pointing La Sombra out to WWE. I wonder if CMLL knew about that when they gave her the farewell.
The local promoters for Guerra de Titanes aren’t really saying anything besides posing the same cancellation notice. Since Rey is still on the TV taping the next day, it feels like it’s probably a local issue (and something out of AAA’s control.)
Students: 1) El Cid, 2) Regulus, 3) Emperador Azteca
Beginner: 1) Principe Diamante, 2) Soberano Jr., 3) Esfinge
Intermediate: 1) Dragon Lee, 2) Titan, 3) Mephisto
Advanced: 1) Astral, 2) Valiente, 3) La Mascara – the only three in this category
Women: 1) Dalys, 2) Reina Isis, 3) Lluvia
Astral was the over all winner.
Sombra said he talked to Caristico and Alberto before going to WWE and they both told him he needs to go to NXT before going to the main roster. He’s love if his friends Rush and Mascara had a chance to join him, but right now he’s focused on improving himself.
Kushida says he’d like to defend the IWGP Junior Heavyweight championship against Mascara Dorada at FantasticaMania if he wins the title at Tokyo Dome.
AAA says Guerra de Titanes is canceled. They don’t give a reason why. They apologize to the fans of Tampico and (nearby) Ciudad Madero and say a rescheduled date and location will be announced. I originally thought they meant the Tampico/Madero show, but they probably actually mean Guerra de Titanes.
Canceled is probably a more loaded word than AAA means to use. They said the early November Monterrey show with Alberto was “canceled”, which turned out to mean refunds were offered and the show was rescheduled to a new date (in fact, the Sunday after Guerra de Titanes.) That’s probably the outcome here – Guerra de Titanes in Tampico is canceled, but it’ll be held at another date and another place, and AAA doesn’t know or can’t say either of those right now.
This is a bizarre situation, but one that also sits aside the five week run of Guadalajara shows apparently stopping after two weeks. (No show last week, no sign of anything this week.) It’s also at the same time the Que Viva el Rey shows have drawn disappointedly so far. It’s another rough stretch for AAA, though we still don’t know if it’s an AAA issue or something with the local venue or promoter. The only normal reasons I can think for a show like this to be canceled is an issue with the locale on that date, or if Rey Misterio isn’t available on that date for whatever reason (because the whole show is built on him and him along – they could always replace Mundo or anyone else without hurting nearly as much.)
AAA currently has the second half of Xalapa TV for this weekend, and then just the Juarez taping ready to go. The Juarez taping would normally just be one show, but perhaps they’ll find a way to stretch it out an extra week. There is no next TV taping after that yet announced. That’s not as dire as it reads. AAA is always quiet after Guerra de Titanes, taping usually once more late in the month and once more late in December, and neither of those tapings air until the new year. There’s usually a three week stretch, either of best of material or of a major show being repeated. (It’s been implied this is a Televisa decision.) Here’s how they could make it work
11/28: Xalapa part 2
12/05: Juarez part 1
12/12: Juarez part 2 (lots of repeat material)
12/19, 12/26, 01/02: best of (a week earlier than usual)
01/09: rescheduled Guerra de Titanes?
It’s not great TV, with the issues they were building up just going on ice for weeks before anything comes of them, but not great TV is better than no TV.
The more relevant issue is AAA has always been said to make it’s money off the 4-5 big shows a year. We know they didn’t make any money, and instead might have lost money, on the failed Rey de Reyes shows. AAA can’t really afford for Guerra de Titanes not to happen and lose on a second show. Guerra de Titanes is probably going to happen at some point in December because AAA needs to happen.
Maybe, by the time this is all sorted out, AAA will have a tournament for their title after all
Toryumon Mexico (SUN) 11/22/2015Domo del Deportivo Plan Sexenal, Distrito Federal [The Gladiatores]
1) Maquiavélico b Principe Asgard
2) Daisuke Hanaoka & Rocket Rojo b Fiero & Fireman Rocker Rojo is probably the IWRG trainee
3) Reyna Isis b India Sioux, Diosa Atenea No Comandante, so Isis won a three way instead.
4) Monsther, Patán, Piel Roja, Snake b Hombre Bala Jr., Pantera I, Súper Ciudadano, Tigre Del Ring Patan beat up rival Super Ciudadano after the match. Padrino (?!?!) ran out to make the save.
5) Brazo de Platino, Máximo, Último Dragón b Arkángel de la Muerte, Gran Guerrero, Rey Bucanero
El Padrino was a terrible AAA foreigner of 2008. It kind of looks like the same guy in the picture. Ultimo Dragon shows are weird.
CMLL (TUE) 11/24/2015Arena México [CMLL]
1) Bengala & Flyer b Artillero & Cholo
2) Arkángel de la Muerte, Sangre Azteca, Skándalo b Hombre Bala Jr., Stigma, Súper Halcón Jr. Rudos took 1/3.
3) Estrellita, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit b Amapola, Dalys, Zeuxis Tecnicas took 1/3
4) Fuego b Virus [lightning]
5) La Máscara, Marco Corleone, Rush b Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Thunder Ingobernables took 1/3
6) Máximo Sexy, Super Porky, Valiente b Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Último Guerrero Valiente, actually wearing pants on this show, wants a title shot at Ultimo Guerrero.
Valiente wearing pants is the big news from this show.
La Sombra did a few interviews talking about joining WWE about a week ago. MedioTiempo has the quotes. Sombra says coming to WWE was his dream. Sombra says he told Paco Alonso and the CMLL programming department he was leaving in October. He says his main effort at the moment is focusing on learning English. He’s taking one on one classes three days a week. They’re not going to figure out his character until later on. He hopes to follow the example of others who were successful in other companies and also in WWE, naming Finn Balor. (Finn named Sombra as a guy he thought should come to WWE back at WrestleMania.)
The October date is a weird one; that would mean Sombra lost his mask before he told CMLL he was leaving. It would also kind of mean that when Sombra was saying he didn’t have a deal with WWE for the last few weeks, he absolutely knew he was going to WWE. Maybe he’s technically right that he didn’t sign anything, and maybe he’s technically right in that he didn’t give CMLL the date he was actually leaving until October. I’m a little skeptical CMLL didn’t know he might be leaving when he lost his mask.
The English focus is probably one of many ways WWE’s trying to make this experience work better for Sombra than it worked with Caristico; I’m sure many of the decisions that have been or will be made about Sombra in WWE are going to be shaped about how bad that experience went for everyone.
Valiente might have the same chance of winning this match as the currently ongoing bodybuilding competition.
Rush and Ultimo Guerrero working Tuesdays, which is unusual for him. It’s like they’re clearing out the Friday shows for something, but not a lot is happening on Fridays.
Fourth match has Delta in Arena Mexico, which is becoming a rarity for him. He’s the only guy in that match not going to Japan.
CMLL (TUE) 12/01/2015Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Explosivo & Star Black vs Furia Roja & Joker
2) Flyer, Leono, Starman vs Artillero, Okumura, Súper Comando
3) Stigma, The Panther, Tritón vs Puma, Sangre Azteca, Tiger
4) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Stuka Jr. vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto
5) Máximo Sexy, Mistico, Titán vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja
Niebla Roja on this card here suggests he’s really supposed to be back, but maybe just in Guadalajara. The tecnicos in the fourth match are just random enough to get a trios title hsot.
The Gringos breaking up is a sad day for America. I really hope we find out where Avisman goes in all of this. It reads like both Gringos are staying rudo but going their own ways and maybe with their own new groups.
Toscano and Dinamic Black returned on the same show after both had acronymous behind the scenes departures. Everyone seems to come back to IWRG at some point.
Cibernetico was alright, but it was a skippable show and these are trending more that way in general.
CMLL bills tonight’s Arena Mexico show as a double main event. Which means no real main event. The last listed match is Maximo, Super Porky, and Valiente versus Ultimo Guerrero, Rey Bucanero and Terrible. Thunder, wrestling on a Tuesday for the first time since June, teams with Polvora & Dragon Rojo to face Marco, Rush and La Mascara. CMLL’s gone back to putting up Tuesday lightning matches, and tonight one is Fuego versus Virus.
Guadalajara will have Atlantis, Mistico and Volador versus Euforia, Gran Guerrero and Mr. Niebla.
AAA’s TV airing of the Lucha World Cup drew 2.4 million viewers in the Mexico City are alone, and was the fourth most watched sporting event of the week. This wasn’t on the usual AAA slot and the usual Televisa slot, but a more watched channel at a different time. That article talks with Victoria about the concept coming back next year as a certainty (but also believes they can get CMLL and AAA working together.) You can understand why Victoria might want to stick with AAA – their sales went up double digits after the spring/summer lucha libre related campaign.
Drago and Fantasma will be signing autographs at the Museo MODO lucha exhibit on Wednesday. This might be a regular thing since AAA’s sponsoring the exhibit.
Eduardo Varillas, lucha libre promoter in Mazatlan, was murdered Friday night. He was at the race track, which had also ran, and was shot many times by unknown assailants. He’d been training for his first ever match, to take place this Friday against local referee Shaggy. The show may still go on as a benefit for his family.
CMLL (SAT) 11/28/2015Arena Coliseo
1) Último Dragoncito vs Pequeño Universo 2000
2) Leono vs Camorra
3) Oro Jr. vs Metálico
4) Lluvia vs Tiffany
5) Esfinge vs Puma
6) Super Porky & Titán vs Hechicero & Vangellys
7) Dragon Lee, La Máscara, Mistico vs Euforia, Shocker, Último Guerrero
Main event seems like it might be OK. Porky & Titan need to challenge for the tag team titles already. Panther & Guerrero beating the Coliseo champs goes nowhere.
IWRG (SUN) 11/29/2015Arena Naucalpan
1) Fireman & Rocket vs Adrenalina & Atomic Star
2) Dinamic Black, Látigo, Pantera I vs Avisman, Imposible, Vortize
3) Black Terry, Dr. Cerebro, Hijo del Pantera vs Apolo Estrada Jr., Canis Lupus, Eterno
4) Pantera, Relámpago, Súper Nova vs Diablo I Jr.,El Hijo del Diablo, Violencia Jr.
5) Máscara Año 2000 Jr. & Veneno vs Trauma I & Trauma II and Diva Salvaje & Toscano and Danny Casas & X-Fly [ruleta de la muerte]
6) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [semifinal, ruleta de la muerte]
7) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [semifinal, ruleta de la muerte]
8) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [final, ruleta de la muerte]
9) ? vs ?? [mask, hair]
We can probably safely rule out the Traumas. Not sure about the other three teams in the losers advance tournament.
CMLL (MON) 11/30/2015Arena Puebla
1) Magia Blanca, Meyer, Star Jr. vs Artillero, Fuerza Chicana, Guerrero Espacial
2) Lestat, Oro Jr., Starman vs Disturbio, King Jaguar, Policeman
3) Delta, Rey Cometa, Stigma vs Canelo Casas, Okumura, Skándalo
4) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Super Porky vs Kráneo, Ripper, Shocker
5) Atlantis, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
Semimain is the rematch. Canelo Casas being booked ahead of Disturbio is weird.
No idea about Magia Blanca. Magia Blanca means White Magic, I wonder if they know Curaga. There’s no one in Puebla using that name, and there’s a lot of people in Puebla. It may be a CMLL spot given Artillero is on the other side. That name turns up in the 80s and 90s, but I think it’s probably not them. It’s also a name that was used a few times in 2006 when CMLL would list fake opening matches, and then bump those names off the lineup when a new main event was made during the week (usually off something that happened in the main event.)
The CMLL iPPV is linked below. I may not do this again, but I’ve put up the AAA shows after they’ve aired on TV and so I might as well do the same with the CMLL one this time. There’s no reason to download Lucha Azteca – they’re the same shows edited for time and in lesser video quality, but I put them up here as for any obsessive completists out there.
What happened: a Atlantis defeated Mascara to keep the Mexican Light Heavyweight championship. Shocker beat Maximo via foul, which may be setting up a heavyweight title match. Lestat won a DF versus Puebla cibernetico.
What was good:Maybe just the cibernetico, and it wasn’t a blow away match. Not a good show.
Lucha Memes (SUN) 11/22/2015Arena Lopez Mateos [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Estrellas del Ring, Kronosport]
1) Alas de Acero, Aramis, Iron Kid b Leviatham, Sádico, Yakuza
2) Onita Santana b Demasiado These two didn’t mesh well.
3) Aero Boy b Keira Keira left injured
4) Virus b Black Terry good match
5) Hechicero b Caifan said to be MOTYC, money thrown in.
6) Shocker b Zumbido Zumbido demanded a rematch.
7) Último Guerrero b Pagano Pagano cut open Ultimo Guerrero’s forehead with his fork in a bloody brawl. Pagano got in one moonsault, but got stopped going for a second and pulled into a Guerrero Special onto chairs for the loss. Money thrown in and rematch challenges followed.
Attendance seems a little disappointing for a card that looked very good. Black Terry Jr. has highlights of Hechicero vs Caifan, which was said to be outstanding by everyone there, and of the Ultimo Guerrero/Pagano madness.
CMLL’s Puebla show today has Atlantis versus La Mascara. This moment would be a great one for La Mascara to step up his level of matches, helping to fill the Sombra void, but it’s a Puebla main event and Atlantis on a non-Anniversary show, so it’s more likely to be a slightly above average encounter. There’s a lot (11) of Puebla locals on the show this week, mostly because of a Puebla vs DF cibernetico in the segunda. The Mexico City side is not very impressive, but maybe the one night a week kids will do something amusing.
Aja Perera defeated Nino Monet for the Copa LLF. Both Americans (from Atlanta) were debuting on the card and advanced to the final. It sounds like they may be around for a couple weeks; LLF’s last show of the year is two Fridays away too.
Criterio Hidalgo interviewed Thunder Rosa about coming to Arena Aficion and wrestling in Mexico.
CMLL ELITE (SUN) 11/29/2015Arena México 1) Marcela & Muñeca De Plata vs Amapola & Dallys la Caribeña 2) Dinamic Black, Metaleón, Principe Diamante vs Cancerbero, Heddi Karaoui, Raziel 3) Dragon Lee, Emperador Azteca, Zumbi vs Cavernario, Kamaitachi, Okumura 4) Valiente & Volador Jr. vs Damián 666 & Halloween 5) Atlantis & Carístico vs Black Warrior & Cibernético
Card as published in Box Y Lucha. Maximo figures to replace Valiente in the semifinal based on the programs theyr’e doing. Tercera has more Dragon Lee/Kamaitachi. Muneca de Plata is Goya Kong’s sister.
CMLL (SUN) 11/29/2015Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Tapatío & Mr. Cobra vs Black Sugar & Diplomático
2) El Alteño & El Yaqui vs Carlos Roggi & Mr. Brisa
3) Vaquero Jr. vs Exterminador
4) El Divino, Magnum, Neutrón vs Ráfaga, Relampago, Rey Trueno
5) Niebla Roja & Rey Bucanero vs Blue Panther & Titán
Looks like they’re resetting back to sending four people to Guadalajara. Niebla Roja is the interesting name, since he wasn’t supposed to be back in CMLL (and maybe Mexico entirely) until 2016. Carlos Roggi is back after six years (and/or got a gimmick change) and Mr. Cobra is from Aguascalientes.
AAA ZZInc (THU) 11/19/2015Domo de la Feria, León, Guanajuato [Vavel]
1) Fireball & Speedball b Dark Scoria & Willie Mack Match switched around, with Scoria in for Rey Horus.
2) Mascarita Sagrada, Mickie James, Mr. 450 b Dark Cuervo, La Hiedra, Mini Charly Manson Mascarita Sagrada replaced Dinastia, Cuervo replaced Bestia 666, la Hiedra replaced Taya.
3) Angélico, Argenis, Australian Suicide b Daga, Sanada, Zorro Zorro replaced Sonjay Dutt. Aregnis replaced Jack.
4) Chavo Guerrero Jr., Magnus (UK), Psicosis I b Bengala, Hijo De Dos Caras, Pimpinela Escarlata Pimpinela & Bengala replaced Fenix & Garza.
5) Blue Demon Jr., Dr. Wagner Jr., Rey Misterio Jr. b Brodus, Drew Galloway, Matt Cross Matt Cross replaced Johnny Mundo.
AAA ZZINC (FRI) 11/20/2015 Palacio del Arte, Morelia, Michoacan [La Voz de Michoacan]
1) Mr. 450 & Speedball b Dark Cuervo & Dark Scoria Scheduled to be Mr. 450 & Rey Horus vs Bestia 666 & Speedball
2) Dinastía, Mickie James, Pimpinela Escarlata b La Hiedra, Mamba, Mini Charly Manson Newspaper results list Taya, but La Hiedra replaced.
3) Australian Suicide, Bengala, Súper Nova b Sanada, Willie Mack, Zorro Suicide, Nova, Zorro replaced Jack, Angelico, and Sonjay Dutt.
4) Chavo Guerrero Jr., Magnus (UK), Psicosis I b Fireball, Garza Jr., Hijo De Dos Caras Fireball replaced Fenix.
5) Blue Demon Jr., Dr. Wagner Jr., Rey Misterio Jr. b Brodus, Drew Galloway, Matt Cross Matt Cross replaced Johnny Mundo. Konnan tried helping the rudos, who still lost.
AAA ZZInc (SAT) 11/21/2015 Plaza de Toros, Santa Maria, Querétaro, Querétaro [Estrellas del Ring] 1) Dinastía, Mickie James, Pimpinela Escarlata b La Hiedra, Mamba, Mini Charly Manson La Hiedra replaced Taya.
2) Aerostar, Australian Suicide, Garza Jr. b Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Sanada, Zorro Chavo, Fenix, Hijo de Dos, Magnus and Psicosis were all originally listed in this match.
3) Hijo De Dos Caras, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown b Chris Masters, Magnus (UK), Moose, Psicosis Angelico, Jack Evans, Super Nova, Sanada, Sonjay Dutt and Willie Mack were advertised in this match.
4) Blue Demon Jr., Dr. Wagner Jr., Rey Mysterio Jr. b Brodus, Carlito, Drew Galloway Carlito replaced Johnny Mundo.
These are newspaper results, so the names may be slightly off. There probably was a similar opener in Queretaro, but I haven’t be able to find anything which lists it yet. Anyway, we were wondering how AAA and Lucha Underground would handle conflicting dates and the answer appears to be massive amounts of no-shows and almost all the matches changed. Attendance doesn’t look good for any of these shows, and tonight’s Aguascalientes’ show seems to be following the trend.
AAA TV largely confirmed the Guerra de Titanes card as I posted here Tuesday, and there’s a poster with the lineup now as well. The confusing moment was the in-show advertisements listing the tag titles match as Jack/Angelico vs Pentagon/Lider vs a third time, and then Averno & Chessman showing up in Informa to challenge for those tag titles. They’re probably in the match, until/unless something else happens.
CMLL (SAT) 11/21/2015Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Aéreo b Pequeño Universo 2000
2) Sensei b Camorra
3) Inquisidor b Star Jr.
4) Starman b Hijo del Signo
5) Tritón b Okumura
6) Guerrero Maya Jr. & The Panther b Misterioso Jr. & Sagrado Coliseo tag champs lose in non-title match, though it doesn’t appear it’s going anywhere.
7) Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Negro Casas b Ángel de Oro, Titán, Valiente
CMLL (SUN) 11/22/2015Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Arena Coliseo Guadalajara]
1) Johnny Dinamo ?? Quca
2) Diplomático & Mr. Brisa b El Alteño & Javier Cruz Jr. Debut of Diplomatico with a win. Rudos took 2/3.
3) Linterna Verde, Metatrón, Nautilius b El Chakal, Mercenario, Mr. Apolo Tecnicos took 2/3. Linterna Verde replaced Leon Blanco
4) Gallo, Magnum, Vaquero Jr. b Exterminador, Furia Roja, Thunder Boy Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Esfinge & La Máscara b Euforia & Maléfico Tecnicos took 2/3.
CMLL Elite (SUN) 11/22/2015Arena México [CMLL, MT]
1) Demus 3:16 & Mercurio b Solaris & Sonic Shadow Boy was listed in Box Y Lucha, but replaced by Solaris on Tuesday.
2) Misterioso Jr., Pierroth, Sagrado b Cancerbero, Heddi Karaoui, Raziel the Boricuas move down to replaced Magnus, Pegasso and Rey Cometa on Tuesday.
3) Ángel de Oro, Argos, Golden Magic b Pegasso, Rey Cometa, Titán Rey Cometa, Pegasso and Titan replaced Misterioso, Pierroth and Sagrado (with Titan taking Magnus’ spot on the card overall.) Argos and Titan discussed a singles match after.
4) Negro Navarro, Trauma I, Trauma II b Felino, Puma, Tiger good match
5) Valiente, Volador Jr., Zumbi b Bestia 666, Damián 666, Halloween FdT replaced Cavernario, Euforia (now in GDL) and Mr. Aguila. Volador replaced Valiente. Volador & Maixmo challenged for a hair match against Damian & Halloween, who accepted only if it’ll be held in a cage.
6) Atlantis, Carístico, Negro Casas DQ Black Warrior, Cibernético, Mephisto Tecnicos took 2/3. Cibernetico fouled Caristico for the DQ.