Averno replaces the currently detained Charly Manson in the Hell Brothers, who appear to be tweeners rather than straight rudos. It’s something for Cibernetico (and Demon) to do, and the AAA recap correctly notes that the group was very over last time. Also, this time Chessman already has a title so he won’t go after Cibernetico’s belt and screw everything up. (And maybe we’ve all gotten out of the Demon/Chessman match that still hasn’t happened.)
Not sure what to take out of the Flamita/Steve Pain match, except it was probably really good and probably won’t be airing. Flamita’s #1 priority is Dragon Gate, AAA wanted him back, and they were supposed to meet last week to see if something could be figured out. Maybe something where he works AAA when he’s not around Dragon Gate would work out for everyone. Steve Pain has been working random Mexican indy shows for the last couple of weeks, which really didn’t make sense with the reasons we thought he left AAA (needing to relocate back to California). Maybe something changed. Konnan welcomed Pain back to AAA, so maybe he’s back and really only missed a show or two after all.
They’ve turned Aerostar versus Super Fly up full blast. (That joke was weak.)
Nothing in particular built up for Heroes Inmortales. That lineup should be out in the next week or so and it will probably follow the storylines they’ve done int eh last few weeks without concluding anything.
Next AAA Mexico taping is 10/10. Lucha Underground resumes taping tonight.
CMLL (FRI) 09/26/2014Arena México [CMLL]
1) Canelo Casas & Nitro b Esfinge & Oro Jr.
2) Boby Zavala, Okumura, Virus DQ Dragon Lee, Fuego, Tritón Tecnicos took 2/3, Virus fouling Fuego.
3) La Sombra, Marco Corleone, Stuka Jr. b Kráneo, Mr. Águila, Rey Bucanero Rey Bucanero replaced Vangellys on Monday. Aguila’s first Arena Mexico match since June. Tencicos took 1/3.
4) Felino & La Máscara b Shocker, Mephisto, Guerrero Maya Jr., Misterioso Jr., Tiger, Volador Jr. [Copa Jr., Copa Jr. VIP, seeding battle royal]
5) Mephisto b Guerrero Maya Jr. [Copa Jr., Copa Jr. VIP, eightfinal]
6) Shocker b Misterioso Jr. [Copa Jr., Copa Jr. VIP, eightfinal]
7) Volador Jr. b Tiger [Copa Jr., Copa Jr. VIP, eightfinal]
8) La Máscara b Felino [Copa Jr., Copa Jr. VIP, eightfinal]
9) Mephisto b Shocker [Copa Jr., Copa Jr. VIP, quarterfinal]
10) Volador Jr. b La Máscara [Copa Jr., Copa Jr. VIP, quarterfinal]
11) Mephisto b Volador Jr. [Copa Jr., Copa Jr. VIP, semifinal] Mephisto advances to face next week’s block winner.
12) Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero b Atlantis, Máscara Dorada, Valiente straight falls
Mephisto winning a block is random, though this tournament itself is pretty random. Theories about why Mephisto won:
CMLL makes no sense, existence is meaningless (and I need another vacation)
someone in the programming department finally noticed a post it note from Januaray – “feed Mephisto to Mistico La Nueva Era” – and decided it was time to get on that.
IWRG (WED) 10/01/2014Arena Naucalpan
1) Aramis vs Black Angel
2) Alfa & Sky Ángel vs Atomic Star & Muerte Infernal
3) Dragón Celestial & Metaleon vs Hip Hop Man & Spartan
4) Emperador Azteca, Golden Magic, Kenshi Kabuki vs Danny Casas, Eterno, Oficial 911
5) Dr. Cerebro, Relámpago, Veneno vs Canis Lupus, Cien Caras Jr., Hijo de Máscara Año 2000
Pretty sure there’s a contest to make the least interesting Wednesday IWRG lineup. Danny Casas returns.
CMLL (FRI) 10/03/2014Arena México
1) Astral & Stukita vs Demus 3:16 & Pierrothito
2) Cachorro, Dragon Lee, Fuego vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus
3) Dark Angel, Goya Kong, Marcela vs Amapola, Dalys, Zeuxis
4) Máscara Dorada, Titán, Valiente vs Kráneo, Mr. Águila, Terrible
5) La Sombra vs Rush, Super Porky, Máximo, Euforia, Delta, Stuka Jr., Puma [Copa Jr., Copa Jr. VIP, semifinal]
6) Mephisto, Thunder, Último Guerrero vs Diamante Azul, La Máscara, Volador Jr.
Hmmm. Rush isn’t winning, because Rush should be winning any sort of tournament like this but there’s really no point in throwing a tournament just for Rush to win. It’s kind of beneath him. Maximo/Mephisto would be a more evenly matched final, though again it’s strange why you’d running a tournament just to end up with Mephisto versus Maximo. So maybe Sombra? This is as pointless for Sombra to win as it is for Rush, but I’m not so sure the Sombra who was on vacation instead of the Anniversary show is going to be winning tournaments right now. Mephisto beating Sombra would be a pretty nice win for Mephisto and also a match that would be hard to set up unless you spontaneously invented a new tournament.
Speaking of vacations, tercera is Dark Angel’s return from the US. And the second is a really good match which won’t actually air on TV. Not sure why they’ve switched from Virus/Lee to Virus/Fuego.
Today’s CMLL show is headlined by Atlantis and Ultimo Guerrero in trios action. This is Ultimo’s first match in Arena Mexico unmasked. Copa VIP Jr. also begins with a block of Volador, Shocker, Mephisto, Felino, Misterioso, Tiger, La Mascara and Guerrero Maya. There’s no clear reason why it’s happening, which always makes it a little harder to pick a winner. Volador, La Mascara, Shocker, Mephisto are the favorites, in that order.
AAA tapes two weeks of TV tonight in Zumpango. Aerostar gets his much delayed title match versus Hijo del Fantasma in what could be a very good match regardless of the outcome (though we’re rooting for the upset Aerostar win.) The Angelico & Jack vs Averno & Chessman match could be very good as well. The main event is Myzteziz & Psycho Clown vs Perro & Texano. There’s no announced matches for Heroes Inmortales, sixteen days away. The AAA column in this week’s SuperLuchas said Copa Antonio Pena will be back, and maybe they’ll set up something more tonight.
IWRG (WED) 09/24/2014Arena Naucalpan [IWRG]
1) Marduk b Extraño Marduk wins in possible debuts for both guys. There was previously an Extrano in 2005 and 2009. There is a Marduk wrestling in Queretaro (and the same one in Guanajuato?) – it’s unclear if this is that guy.
2) Atomic Star & Capitán Muerte b Galaxy & Sky Ángel
3) Anubis Black & Araña de Plata b Alfa & Látigo Latigo replaced Omega.
4) Dragón Celestial, Emperador Azteca, Metaleon b Ciclon Black, Eterno, Hip Hop Man Eterno replaced Tony Rivera. Tecnicos took 1/3
5) Alan Extreme, Avisman, Golden Magic, Imposible, Relámpago, Veneno b Dante, Euro, Filder, Hijo Del Zumbido, Sky Fly, Yakuza [Copa Higher Power] Alan Extreme replaced Canis Lupus. Relampago submitted Yakuza to win it for team IWRG.
Not an exciting looking show, and one with low attendance, but some of the matches might have been fun.
Probably the finish they had planned for the first match, but hopefully a good match.
CMLL (TUE) 09/23/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [@acogdl]
1) Magnus & Soberano Jr. b Infierno & Ráfaga Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Marcela, Silueta, Skadi b Amapola, Dalys, Tiffany Silueta replaced Estrellita (injury). Tecnicas took 1/3.
3) Gallo, Rey Cometa, Tritón b Maléfico, Okumura, Virus Tecnicos took 2/3, Cometa beating Malefico. This set up a title match for next week.
4) Cavernario, Felino, Mr. Niebla b Ángel de Oro, Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr. Rudos took 1/3, Cavernario beating Delta.
5) Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Máscara Dorada b La Máscara, La Sombra, Rush Tecnicos (Atlantis) took 2/3 to win
Isn’t Cavernario now the third most important guy in Peste Negra? Felino’s unlikely to ever win another important match, Cavernario can’t stop winning them.
IWRG (SUN) 09/28/2014Arena Naucalpan
1) Sky Ángel vs Araña de Plata Jr.
2) Metaleon & Saruman vs Atomic Star & Freyser
3) Diva Salvaje, Dr. Cerebro, Miss Gaviota vs Apolo Estrada Jr., Avisman, El Hijo del Diablo
4) Hijo De Dos Caras, Súper Nova, Veneno vs Canis Lupus, Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Universo 2000 Jr.
5) Cien Caras Jr. vs Demon Clown
Listed in Box Y Lucha but not posted on the website yet (so subject to change.) The main event is billed as Mexico versus Canada. It’s just “Universo 2000″ in the listings but I don’t think the dad is working semimains with Veneno. Cerebro keeps feuding with Diablo in the tercera.
CMLL (TUE) 09/30/2014Arena México
1) Bengala & Robin vs Ramstein & Zayco
2) Princesa Sugehit vs Tiffany [lightning]
3) Hombre Bala Jr., Magnus, Súper Halcón Jr. vs Kamaitachi, Okumura, Skándalo
4) Oro Jr., Pegasso, Tritón vs Misterioso Jr., Pierroth, Sagrado
5) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Stuka Jr. vs Felino, Hechicero, Pólvora
6) Atlantis, Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Niebla Roja
Reyes del Atlantida reunite (as does Generacion 2011.) C3 may able to just not show up until the third match.
Are Misteriso, Pierroth, and Sagrado going to get a team name at some point? This trio great concerns me. I don’t know if I mentioned this on the podcast, but Sagrado’s gear now features crosses on fire. I’m not sure that would work well in the US.
Noches de Coliseo remains in reruns. Cadena3’s web feed was showing a baseball game. Puebla’s feed was down all weekend. LAS never aired the midweek IWRG show and only showed two matches (so far) from this past Sunday’s show. There are a lot of matches here, but most aren’t actually on the usual YouTube channel.
I have no idea where I put CMLL Informa and I don’t think anyone cares at this point. Generally the same with Sobre el Ring.
IWRG (SUN) 09/21/2014Arena Naucalpan [IWRG]
1) Araña de Plata & Atomic Star b Galaxy & Sky Ángel
2) Freyser & Hip Hop Man b Diva Salvaje & Miss Gaviota
3) Golden Magic, Kenshi Kabuki, Relámpago b Alan Extreme, Apolo Estrada Jr., El Hijo del Diablo Apolo Estrada and Alan Extreme replaced Oficial 911 & AK47 (who were booked in Arena Lopez Mateos.)
4) Danny Casas, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Pirata Morgan Jr. b Súper Nova, Toscano, Veneno Rudos took 1/3. First Pirata Jr. match here this year.
5) Cien Caras Jr., Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Universo 2000 Jr. b Canis Lupus, Demon Clown, Eterno Demon Clown jumped the Capos. Team Demon Clown took 1/3, with Demon Clown beating up Cien Caras on the outside while Lupus & Eterno beat the others.
Oficial AK47 seemed to put the blame on IWRG for booking them on this show and hinted the Oficias are not going to be allowed back in IWRG for a while. IWRG wants first priority over Arena Lopez Mateos for local guys, but is also said not to pay well. But we get more Dinamtias/Demon Clown matches, so I guess that’s a thing.
CMLL (SUN) 09/21/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [@acogdl]
1) Meteoro b Relampago Azul
2) El Divino & Índigo b Furia Nazi & Thunder Boy Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Mr. Trueno b Virgo
4) Dragon Lee b Mr. Águila, Tritón, Sádico, Demonio Maya, Esfinge, Leo, Jocker [cibernetico] Elimination order: Jocker, Leo, Esfinge, Demonio Maya, Sadico, Triton, Mr. Aguila, leaving Dragon Lee as the winner.
5) Cavernario & Gran Guerrero b La Máscara & Titán Rudos took 1/3, Gran Guerrero pulling Titan’s mask.
Dragon Lee is getting a lot of wins lately. It feels like they’re about to go somewhere with him, but it’s never clear with CMLL.
ChilangaMask (SAT) 09/20/2014Arena Roberto Paz, Guadalajara, Jalisco [Fuego en el Ring, KrisZ]
1) Draego b Astro Rey Jr., Dorado Jr., Reggae Boy, Sangre Fria Jr., Aero Extreme
2) Chik Tormenta b Estrella Explosiva, La Magnifica La Magnifica was the surprise luchadora. Estrella had to be strechered out with a suspected fractured ankle.
3) Belial & Impulso b Arez & Psico Kid
4) Trauma I & Trauma II b Black Terry & Tony Rodriguez Rey Hechicero showed up post match to challenge Black Terry to a match on an upcoming Chilanga Mask show. It was announced the Traumas would go to (USA’s) CZW next year.
5) Masada b Aero Boy, Kaientai, Makabre [super libre]
6) Kaientai b Makabre Kaientai gets a match in CZW by winning the match.
Fuego en el Ring liked all the matches. I was told (by others) that the Traumas had sorted out their visa paperwork and should be going this time. It seemed like the vast majority of people we asked did not have paperwork to work in the US, including some who had worked in other countries. Fact: Mexican luchadors like CZW far more than you’d expect. PWG and ROH too, but it was amusing how much CZW would come up. (Also, even though they’re fans of a relatively small promotion in the US, they have no belief anyone elsewhere would be watching them, which is why they haven’t bothered to get that paperwork.)
WMC (SUN) 09/21/2014 Deportivo SME Villa Coapa, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal [Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), R de Rudo]
1) Reyna Dorada b Felina Metalica, Reina Oscura Dorada want a shot at Metalica’s title.
2) Bugambilia, Hacha De Guerra, La Parkita b Caricia, Espectrito I, Súper Colt
3) Blackman Jr., Leonidas, Nygma b Angel Del Viento, Magnifico I, Magnifico II Rudos fouled the Magnificos and pulled their masks. The Magnificos challenged Nygma to an apuesta match.
4) Aguila Enmascarda, Angel Jr., Dinamic Black b Bugambilia, Guerrero WMC, Sombra Metalica [seconds hair] WMC vs Conncept Norte with the promoter’s hair on the line. Bugambilia replaced Imperio Negro (who was in an accident.) WMC promoter Martin Calderon got their head shaved.
5) Fly Star, Toxin Boy, Último Guerrero b ?, Rayo Star, Rey Bucanero Sky Man’s replacement is unclear (but it was an unmasked guy.) Ultimo Guerrero made it over here straight from Arena Coliseo – this time, he got the win.
Definitely not the last time Ultimo will be working different places in quick succession: the guy who loses his mask in an epic mask match is always in great demand right after. Black Terry has video of clips of Toxin Boy doing a couple of crazy flying stomps to the floor.
CMLL (MON) 09/22/2014Arena Puebla [El Popular, Periodico Enfoque, Periodico Enfoque (Photos)]
1) Rey Apocalipsis & Toro Bill Jr. b Milenium & Rey Samuray Rey Samuray’s debut (newspaper has it as Rey Samurái.)
2) Oro Jr., Star Jr., Tigre Rojo Jr. b Akrón, King Jaguar, Siki Ozama Jr. Tecnicos took 2/3.
3) Zeuxis b Estrellita [lightning] Zeuxis won with a package piledriver. The Puerto Rican challenged for a Mexican national title match next week. Estrellita accepted.
4) Felino, Puma, Tiger b Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Stigma Manuel Robles was honored by the match. Rudos took 1/3.
5) La Máscara, Rush, Super Porky DQ Negro Casas, Shocker, Thunder Thunder fouled Rush for the DQ.
6) Gran Guerrero, Mr. Niebla, Último Guerrero b Atlantis, Diamante Azul, La Sombra Rudos took 1/3, UG sneaking in a foul on Altantis.
Lucha Underground officially announced they were moving the start date back three weeks to October 29th. The first show, starting at 8pm ET/7pm CT, will be a 2 hour episode. They’ll be one hour after that. The press release includes a fuller roster list, which clears up some names and spellings (Matt Cross is Son of Havoc, ex-Maxine’s name is spelled Catrina, etc) and just people we’ve seen already on tapings (though not all of them.) The name of the likely evil owner/promoter is Dario Cueto – he’s had a Twitter account since early on in the tapings and it’s actor not a wrestler playing that role. There’s also a teaser on YouTube with the first glimpse of matches.
Fenix, Pentagon and Drago are featured in the promotional photo and spotted in the video, which is probably no coincidence. They were not wrestling on the first two shows taped, which would probably make up that two hour preview – maybe they’ll be added in other ways, or maybe they’ll switch around things to get that three way match on there.
Sources close to the production say the start date delay was Lucha Underground’s choice. The plan all along has to air this on El Rey in English and Unimas in Spanish, Unimas wasn’t ready to start airing until the end of October/early November and it seemed like a bad idea to have the Unimas episodes weeks behind the El Rey one. The delay gets them airing on the same days, though there will be a few day difference: El Rey will air on Wednesday nights and the plan is for Unimas to air the same show on Saturday afternoons.
The Unimas deal still hasn’t been announced. I know, as of last week, the announcers for the show had not been decided and that may be the hold up. (The announcers will be a Unimas decision, though Lucha Underground can and are suggesting names.)
I think I repeatedly mentioned the Sky Man second floor of the building tope con giro miss but never actually linked to it. Sorry about that, you can see it here. It was the talk of Mexican lucha circles for it’s dumbness (though some people did argue it was at least better he tried a tope con giro so he missed on his back instead of a plancha or a moonsault where he might have landed on his face.) Sky Man, who’s been wrestling regularly with partner Rayo Star on Strong Style-ish indies around Mexico City, is said to be out of action for three months.
Today’s CMLL show is headlined the Valiente vs Mephisto title match in Arena Mexico which was supposed to happen a few months ago. It didn’t that time because Mephisto was hurt and probably wouldn’t have been a change since it was right before the Universal tournament. Guadalajara has a trios main event, though not the one listed on CMLL.com: Guadalajara’s own poster for Tuesday’s show not only has the Atlantis addition (for Volador Jr.) but also lists Diamante Azul in for the injured Dragon Rojo.
Rey Bucanero replaces Vangellys on Friday.
AAA’s posted the Pachuca show on their channel: week 1 and week 2
10/10 Tijuana has the unique main event of former movie star friends Octagon & Atlantis uniting with Volador Jr. to face Fuerza Guerrera, Nicho and Psicosis II. Someone needs to book Nicho, Psicosis II and Psicosis III as a trio.
DJ Spectro writes about the Anniversary show. I am referred to as “some good soul”! This is very much Department Of No One Cares: the pre-show music performance caused the same problem with my recording I had last year which stopped it from recording, only I figured out a work around in the last 12 months and everything went great this time. Learning from your mistakes is great.
A photolog of covers of Lucha Libre magazine from 1970s. I saw a ton of these at the Expo Mascaras. The magazines aren’t great for research; it’s a lot more prose than results and lineups, but that works out great for the covers. They’re just got one posed person out instead of trying to squeeze in the three or four stories of the day.
IWRG (WED) 09/24/2014Arena Naucalpan
1) Marduk vs Extraño
2) Galaxy & Sky Ángel vs Atomic Star & Capitán Muerte
3) Alfa & Omega vs Anubis Black & Araña de Plata
4) Dragón Celestial, Emperador Azteca, Metaleon vs Ciclon Black, Hip Hop Man, Tony Rivera
5) Avisman, Canis Lupus, Golden Magic, Imposible, Relámpago, Veneno vs Dante, Euro, Filder, Hijo Del Zumbido, Sky Fly, Yakuza [Copa Higher Power]
AULL vs IWRG after they won the ciberneticos last week.
CMLL (SUN) 09/28/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Tapatío vs El Yaqui
2) El Brillante & Javier Cruz vs Acertijo & Évola
3) Leo vs Demonio Maya
4) Sky Kid & Smaker vs Magnum & Ráfaga
5) La Sombra & Valiente vs Ephesto & Mephisto
6) Titán vs Gran Guerrero
Titan won this match when they just ran in it. Interesting that’s the main event and the semimain (Sombra!) is not.
Didn’t someone call Ultimo Guerrero working as a psuedo-tecnico soon? I think they did.
Can Zeuxis pull two big upsets in 10 days???? (No, probably not.)
Way too many Reys in Puebla. Segunda would be Policeman first match here in two years.
DTU (FRI) 09/26/2014 Autolavado VM, Tulancingo, Hidalgo 1) Malkriado I, Malkriado II, Malkriado III vs Aéreo Power, Ángel Azul, Ferrari Última Generación 2) Hacker vs Corazon Latino 3) Jimmy, Kevin, Tony vs Black Fire & Slayer Pack 3 vs 2 4) Artikus, Crazy Boy, Pesadilla vs Cíclope, Crazy King, Miedo Extremo 5) Ovett vs Paranoiko, Jhonky, Ángel o Demonio [DTU CONSAGRADO] 6) Aero Boy & Violento Jack vs Douki & Keita Yano
DTU (SAT) 09/27/2014 San Miguel Cerezo, Pachuca, Hidalgo 1) Malkriado I, Malkriado II, Malkriado III vs ?, ??, Corazon Latino 2) Jimmy, Kevin, Tony vs Aéreo Power, Ángel Azul, Ferrari Última Generación 3) Artikus & Lanzeloth vs Crazy King & Miedo Extremo 4) Cíclope & Drastik Boy vs Douki & Keita Yano and Black Fire & Slayer Pack 5) Septimo Dragon vs Rocky Lobo, Aeroboy, Príncipe Halcón, Pesadilla, Ángel del Misterio [#1 Contenders, DTU AI] 6) Flamita vs Jinzo vsHacker 7) Crazy Boy & Niño Hamburguesa vs Paranoiko & Violento Jack and Ángel o Demonio & Ovett
DTU (SUN) 09/28/2014 Nueva Arena Poza Rica, Poza Rica, Veracruz 1) Malkriado I, Malkriado II, Malkriado III vs Astro Sataniko, King Leon, Meteoro 2) Artikus, Avattar, Kalibus vs Aéreo Power, Ángel Azul, Ferrari Última Generación 3) Hacker vs Corazon Latino 4) Jimmy, Kevin, Tony vs Black Fire & Slayer Pack 3 vs 2 5) Jinzo & Rocky Lobo vs Lanzeloth & Septimo Dragon [Preseas Azteka Drakes] Jinzo & Rocky Lobo’s team name is 4D 6) Crazy Boy & Príncipe Halcón vs Douki & Keita Yano [Copa Spartacus] 7) Aero Boy, Jhonky, Violento Jack vs Cíclope, Crazy King, Miedo Extremo 8) Drastik Boy vs Flamita vsPesadilla
DTU’s run of shows. Keita Yano is an obscure Japanese indy wrestler (from the actual Japan, not the IWRG Japan) who’s randomly on here. At least it got Douki some bookings.
Jerry Estrada vs. Ultraman (3/2/84)
Tony Salazar vs. Herodes (3/2/84)
Hijo del Santo, Cachorro Mendoza y Chamaco Valaguez vs. Jerry Estrada, Fuerza Guerrera y Talisman (3/9/84)
Lizmark vs. El Satanico (April 1984)
In this group (only 3)
El Faraón, Herodes y Mocho Cota vs. Lizmark, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar
Solar, Ultraman y Super Astro vs. Sergio El Hermoso, Bello Greco y Rudy Reyna
Enrique Vera vs. Dos Caras (2/26/84)
It should be noted that the GIFs – always! – don’t necessarily reflect the quality of the match but just a moment I thought was interesting (and would translate well enough to the format.) I point this out because Vera/Dos was not a match of planchas, whatever the GIFs say.