From Dusk Till Dawn returning on 09/06, as announced during the LU season 2 final, was indeed the tipoff. That show only goes 10 episodes, but the new strategy appears to be using the original shows to promote each other. This is such a quick turnaround; the show will be back before the Cruiserweight Classic final airs, for comparison sake. I’m confused as to why LU didn’t just announce the date at the end of the season 2 finale, but their audience is small and hardcore enough that I don’t think anyone’s going to miss finding out about it.
40 episodes is the longest season ever, one more than Season 1. This past season was only 25 episode, and there was frustration, both externally and internally, about it not being enough to tell the stories they wanted to tell. That shouldn’t be an issue this time.
If you haven’t been following along, Season 3 has already been completely taped, running from March until June. Chris DeJoseph has mentioning seeing the first episode complete already, and it’s possible more are already done.
I attended the last tapings of this run. Based on what I saw, Ultima Lucha 3 should start airing May 10th or May 17th and the Season 3 finale on June 7th. This season was also notable for matches being taped out of order and even a match or two which may not air. You may want to look for spoilers, and I know I’m going to be spending some time trying to put together a chart of when everything airs, but I also don’t have much hope of being 100% correct this time around. (I’m not sure even LU knew exactly when everything was airing when they were taping it, though it does all seem to make sense by the end.)
The next thing to watch is an announcement of a Season 4 pickup. There’s been talk about LU coming back to film in November, give or take a month, but they haven’t officially even been announced as getting another season of episodes yet. TV networks seem to announce renewals near the end of one season or the start of another one. Announcing a pickup after this start of Season 3 would give them enough time to tape in November, so everything seems to fit. It’d be amazing/crazy for LU to be taping parts of three different seasons in one year, but that’s the way the show works. (Announcements about Netflix or more international pickups would be nice, but there’s been no hint or movement on those in quite a while.)
That’s it. You’ve got August to do what you want, and they’ll see you back in September.
No Elite recap this week because they moved it to Saturday, moving it to next week in this totally arbitrary cut off. I dunno, I realized I have rated Leyenda de Plata higher than Elgin/UG and I’m not sure I agree with myself or this entire process.
AAA TV (FRI) 08/19/2016Auditorio Benito Juárez, Veracruz, Veracruz
1) Gotita de Plata, Lanzeloth, Venum vs ?, Mocho Cota Jr., Soul Rocker
2) Big Mami, Mary Apache, Niño Hamburguesa vs El Apache, Lady Shani, Taya
3) Argenis, Australian Suicide, Bengala vs Dave The Clown, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Súper Fly
4) ? & ?? vs Aerostar & Drago and Daga & Joe Lider
5) Pentagón Jr. & Texano Jr. vs El Mesías & Hernandez
6) Monsther Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown vs Damián 666, Nicho el Millionario, Pagano [cage] winning team will choose the referee for the Psycho/Pagano match at TripleMania.
Air Date: 08/27 & 09/03 – one show airs the night before TripleMania, one the week after.
So, Tirantes will be refereeing the apuesta match at TripleMania, until he gets taken out and Piero runs down to make the count, or Tirantes will decided to count three for Psycho even though it makes no sense. Whatever happens, AAA’s always established the referee is the important part and this just continues that.
If anything, this lineup makes me think Psycho Clown might actually stand a chance of winning in Toluca, just so he gets one win to go along with his million losses. He’s not getting that win here. It’s actually a clever stipulation, because they can announce the card before this taping without giving away the result to this match.
Semimain is Pentagon & Texano facing the two Trump guys they won’t face at TripleMania. Mesias not having a sure spot for TripleMania is very odd; maybe he does get added to the heavyweight title match to make it a four way.
There’s a mystery team at the Toluca taping facing Jack & Angelico, so it’s probably the same two guys in this match. A four way between these three teams and the tag champs seems the most likely way to squeeze them onto the card. I have no idea who the team could be, AAA’s done nothing to talk up the opponents, and I’m scared to find out. Broken Clown and Rotten Clown might be free. (We’re missing TNA guys on TripleMania, maybe that’s the way in.)
Dave the Clown gets moved up to the tercera because he’s kind of tall. Be tall, everyone. AAA’s spent all year running in place with Venum and Gran Apache and can’t be bothered to book them in the same match even when they’re on the same show. (Venum is not tall. Neither is Mocho Cota Jr. or Soul Rocker, who would be so much more useful and definitely more deserving to be in the tercera than Dave the Clown.) So they’ll just cost each other their matches, and continue running in place. One of these weeks is going to be a lame duck show, airing the week after TripleMania but having taken place before it, and those would be the weeks perfect for matches which couldn’t ever make a big show. That’s never how it works in AAA though, and the Venum/Apache feud will go onto until they someone gets hurt and they just forget about it.
The mystery spot looks like a spot for a mini rudo; it’s odd it’s not one of the Mini Vipers, and makes feel like there’s a Facebook post I missed. I would not have high hopes for whoever’s in that spot.
Next taping is TripleMania. It looks like that’ll air in order, so the next normal taping might not be as long as until the 09/17 weekend.
CMLL (SUN) 07/24/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Domingos Familiares]
1) Black Sugar & Capitán Cobra b Diplomático & Guerrero de la Muerte Tecnicos took 1/3
2) Évola & Mr. Apolo b El Yaqui & Javier Cruz Jr. Rudos took 1/3, only losing the second by excessive violence DQ.
3) Johnny Dinamo & Randy DQ Carlo Roggi & Exterminador Mr. Apolo & Evola ran in for the save, and Yaqui & Javier Cruz made the save.
4) Metatrón, Nautilius, Reyko b El Chakal, Sádico, Thunder Boy Tecnicos took 1/3, Reyko beat Sadico to set up a title match next week, though Sadico took Reyko’s mask after the challenge.
5) Joker, Ráfaga, Ripper b El Divino, Magnum, Vaquero Jr. Rudos took 1/3.
Nothing much exciting happens on these Guadalajara shows, but the booking generally makes sense.
CMLL (TUE) 07/26/2016Arena México [CMLL, CultIcon, thecubsfan, Yahoo! Deportes]
1) Bengala & Sensei b Apocalipsis & Cholo 13:17. Tecnicos took 1/3. Bengala replaced Robin on Friday
2) El Cuatrero, Sangre Azteca, Sansón b Hombre Bala Jr., Magnus, Robin 15:30. Rudos took 1/3. Robin replaced Starman.
3) Puma, Tiger, Virus b Blue Panther Jr., Fuego, Tritón 13:52. Rudos took 2/3.
4) Luciferno b The Panther [lightning] 7:55, Luciferno winning clean with a Luciferno Clash
5) Euforia, Felino, Hechicero b Ángel de Oro, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. 11:00. Rudos took 2/3. Rey Cometa replaced Mascara Dorada (moved to GDL) on Tuesday.
6) Ephesto, Rey Escorpión, Ripper b Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Máximo Sexy 5:50. Rudos took straight falls. Escorpion got away with a foul on Maximo to set up a heavyweight title match show.
Boring show. Escorpion/Maximo might be good next week, but this week wasn’t much. These shows had a low hit rate when they were on Cadena3, but at least it was a shorter show.
No Lucha Underground this week. No Lucha Underground the next five weeks. Lucha Underground is back probably some time in 6 to 10 weeks.
IWRG (SUN) 07/31/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) Fireman vs Guerrero 2000
2) Aramis & Keiser Drago vs Araña de Plata & Picudo Jr.
3) Astro, Black Dragón, Zatura vs Demonio Infernal, Skanda, Violencia Jr.
4) Emperador Azteca, Freelance, Pantera I vs Cerebro Negro, Hip Hop Man, Relámpago
5) Chicano, Hijo del Pantera, Pantera vs Negro Navarro, Toscano, Trauma II
6) Mr. Electro & Trauma I vs Canis Lupus & Máscara Año 2000 Jr.
The four guys who’ve been feuding for the last few months continue feuding.
A show. Escorpion & Maximo had a title match nearly a year ago in Guadalajara, but the video never turned up. They’ve had good matches in their past
CMLL (TUE) 08/02/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Capitán Cobra & Johnny Dinamo vs Carlo Roggi & Linterna
2) Estrellita, Princesa Sugehit, Sanely vs Amapola, La Seductora, Reyna Isis
3) Esfinge, Rey Cometa, Súper Porky vs Kráneo, Olímpico, Vangellys
4) Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada, Stuka Jr. vs Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible
5) Carístico, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Euforia, Mephisto
Caristico said last week that he’d be out a month, so I have no earthly idea why would be advertised for this show. No one’s really explained what the deal with Super Porky, but he’s advertised as well. I wonder if Dorada will be advertised for months after he’s gone.
What happened: CMLL offered a show after the fact as a $1 VOD, to the surprise of all. I only paid a lot of attention to the main event and the rookie debuts. Ultimo Guerrero defeated Michael Elgin in a non title match.
What was good: Elgin/UG was very good. Could skip the rest, though the Stuka trios seemed fine.
What happened: Rey Escorpión cheated to beat Máximo in the main event, setting up a title match next week. Not much else.
What was good: Not much. I guess the semimain was good, but this was a show where most everyone didn’t seem into doing much. Crowd was very into the show and it never bugged them, but this was two boring hours for me.
Where can I watch it:It’s on CMLL’s YouTube channel.(more…)
What happened: Pentagon Jr. won the Latin American championship from Psycho Clown when Pagano ran in. Bestia 666 return as a member of Los Fronterizos and cheated Hector Garza. Gran Apache still hates Venum.
What was good: I liked the main event, even with obvious flaws. First match will look much better as a highlight package than it did as a match.
IWRG (SUN) 07/24/2016Arena Naucalpan [The Gladiatores]
1) Araña de Plata b Omega
2) Black Dragón & Dragón Fly b Demonio Infernal & Hip Hop Man Infernal & Dragon are feuding.
3) Leo, Mike, Rafy, Teelo b Killer Jr., Picudo Jr., Skanda, Violencia Jr.
4) Chicano, Emperador Azteca, Freelance b Diablo Jr., El Hijo del Diablo, Imposible
5) Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Relámpago, Toscano b Hijo del Pantera, Pantera, Pantera I Hijo del Pirata returned here, replacing Cerebro Negro. He snuck in a foul on Pantera for the win.
6) Hijo De Dos Caras, Mr. Electro, Trauma II b Canis Lupus, Danny Casas, Máscara Año 2000 Jr. Trauma II pinned canis to win in straight falls. They’re still talking about mask matches, while Electro and Mascara are also still feuding.
They’ve been doing the Trauma/Canis feud for so long I’m almost starting to believe they’ll actually do the match. Only IWRG (& lucha politics) gives us a team of “Pantera & Pantera I”.
CMLL (MON) 07/25/2016Arena Puebla [CMLL, Culticon, El Popular, thecubsfan]
1) Asturiano, París, Zaeta Roja b Guerrero Espacial, Rey Apocalipsis, Toro Bill Jr. 18:32. Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Cancerbero, Fuerza Chicana, Raziel b Flyer, Pegasso, Tigre Rojo Jr. 15:58. Tigre Rojo Jr. first match here since January. Rudos took 1/3.
3) Lluvia & Sanely b Dalys & Zeuxis 12:09. Sanely replaced Estrellita on Friday. Tecnicas took 2/3, Lluvia defeating by rudas in the third, than asked for a title match next week.
4) Máximo Sexy, Stigma, Valiente b Dragón Rojo Jr., Rey Escorpión, Skándalo 12:40. Tecnicos took 2/3 in a rematch from last week.
5) Ares & Disturbio b Black Tiger & King Jaguar [relevos suicidas] 11:20. Ares & Disturbio took 1/3, sending Tiger & Jaguar into the apuesta match.
6) Black Tiger b King Jaguar [mask, hair] 10:39 in a one fall apuesta match. Tiger took Jaguar’s mask.
7) Último Guerrero DQ Volador Jr. 15:54. UG took 1/3, the last by faking a low blow.
Better show than last week, with UG/Volador worth checking out and the fourth match good. Sanely kind of reminds me of early Dalys, and Dalys today is OK, so it could work out for her.
Last week’s CMLL Tuesday show came off as a show just to do a show. Today looks the same, though at least the matches seem like they might be better. The matches are all just hat-picked names thrown together; Culticon did a preview and I don’t even know how, because I’m struggling to find anything to say about these matches. Virus, Puma and Tiger versus Fuego, Triton and Blue Panther Jr. might be pretty good because of that excellent rudo trios. Cuatrero, Sanson, Hombre Bala and Magnus turning up makes the normally boring Sangre Azteca match. Really, everything else has equally chance of being good, being uninteresting, and starting an angle. Except maybe the opener, which feels like the 45th straight opener with Bengala. It’s not really, but it’s a rematch from 9 days ago.
The show airs at 7:30pm, on CMLL.com & YouTube as normal.
SoCalUncensored has some explanation on the issues with Pentagon & Fenix not signing at Comic-Con. You should read their article for the entire story, but the short version is the FCW promotion had to pay extra to bring in Pentago & Fenix in flight, then they were pulled from the autograph signing the day of the show (and without even being directly told at first. Weirdly, despite it being explained as LU forcing AAA to do it, no one else from LU was stopped from signing at that booth. AAA & LU knew Pentagon & Fenix were doing that appearance, but their claim appears to be that another booth had exclusive rights. (Which might be correct, but doesn’t explain the sequence of events.) The promoter wrote a lot of sad/angry Twitter posts, but deleted most of them later on. This should’ve been handled better by LU & AAA.
07/24 Dragon Gate: Flamita did not win Open the Triangle Gate championship. He’s not on the next tour.
IWRG (WED) 07/27/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) Fly Tiger & Vardeus vs Guerrero 2000 & Keiser Drago
2) Aramis, Fireman, Omega vs Araña de Plata, Keshin Black, Skanda
3) Black Dragón, Galaxy, Hijo del Alebrije vs Eddy Santos, Juana La Loca, Viajero Jr.
4) Dragón Fly vs Demonio Infernal
5) Black Terry, Emperador Azteca, Kanon vs Judas el Traidor, Rosario Negro, Viajero Extremo
Main event (and tercera) follows up on the Copa Higher Power, while the semimain is the young guys feud of late finally reaching a singles match.
This week’s issues: Noches de Coliseo changed time, but I eventually got it – and found out it was a repeat. PROESA didn’t get recorded because the computer I use to record it turned off after a power outage and I never thought to turn it back on. Maybe I should stop recording things on that computer.
The AAA feed fell apart moments after the main event finish. You should probably be watching the official version instead, that’s the one I watch. I recorded the streaming version of Elite on Saturday night and Sunday morning, but the Saturday night file vanished and the Sunday airing skipped the Magnus trios. (The Sunday morning airing always seem to be cutting a match for time reasons.) Again, you should probably just watch the show there. I’ve placed the missing match in the playlist, and it’ll show up in the DB, but there’s no download since I didn’t get it myself.
Playlist includes extra Arena Independente footage. (more…)