What happened: Same things that happened last week: Caristico wants a match with Ultimo Guerrero, Maximo wants a match on Mascara 2000, and all the women want a match with each other. This show is an effort in duplication.
What was good:I liked the second match and not much else.
CMLL (SUN) 12/11/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Domingos Familiares CMLL]
1) Avispón Negro Jr. & Johnny Dinamo b Destello & Destructor tecnicos took 1/3
2) Carlo Roggi & Linterna b Cosmos & El Alteño Linterna replaced Mr. Apolo. Rudos took 1/3.
3) Demonio Rojo, Évola, Gran Kenut b Javier Cruz Jr., Mágico, Smaker Cruz & Kenut are feuding. Rudos took 2/3, Kenut using the ropes to pin Cruz. Challenges followed.
4) Frezzer & Neutrón DCOR León Blanco & Mr. Trueno Rudos took 1, tecnicos took 2, both sides brawled outside to a countout. Challenges followed, with the rudos saying they’d accept the match the day the tecnicos were able to beat him.
5) Infierno, Pitbull I, Ráfaga b Magnum, Nautilius, Star Black Rudos took 1/3. Infierno’s first match here in almost exactly two years. He submitted Magnum at the end.
Ah, they’re setting up a cage match too. I wonder if Triton, Gallo and Esfinge get pulled in, or if they’ll do a different title match with them. Infierno suddenly showing up throws him into the possibilities.
Saw the main event, which was had nothing new. UG kicked out the Valiente Buster and escaped the Indian deathlock before Valiente went up for the moonsault.
Tonight’s CMLL show has a Guerrero Maya versus Ephesto singles match. I’m not sure really why. They did feud for a few weeks, it makes sense how they got there, I’m just not sure why they started with the idea of Ephesto in a singles match. Still, it’s interesting. 2016 CMLL is all about running the same singles matches so many times (see Puebla lineup for next week), even a non-promising match looks exciting because it’s at least new. Maya wins, but on Martes de Viejos Valores, anything is possible.
That’s not the main event, which seems like a sensible decision. The actual main event is Dragon Lee, Stuka Jr., and Volador taking on Hechicero, Luciferno and Mephisto. I have a (unconfirmed) guess the national trios titles are going to change hands before they go to Japan. All three tecnicos are on the FantasticaMania tour, so this could be the start of a program (and there’s really not much time left to do start one if it’s going to happen.)
The rest of the show has Blue Panther, Drone and Fuego taking on Bobby Z, Rey Bucanero and Vangellys in the fourth. The Panther brothers team with Pegasso face the complete Nuevo Dinamitas trio in the usual good tercera. The second match has a trio of rookies – Magia Blanca, Principe Diamante, Sangre Imperial – taking on a trio of rudos – Cancerbero, Raziel and Sangre Azteca. Fantasy & Dragoncito face Pequeno Olimpico & Pequeno Violencia, who can only be better than last week.
The show will air at 7:30pm on YouTube & CMLL.
Guadalajara has Atlantis, Maximo and Valiente versus Niebla Roja, Terrible and Ultimo Guerrero. That’s probably is setting up another UG/Valiente match, unless we’ve all mocked it enough to get them to swerve to something else. There’s also an Elite themed show in Arena Queretaro, with Rey Escorpion & Argos versus Mr. Leo & Caristico in the main event.
Pentagon Jr. will face Cody Rhodes on 02/17 near San Francisco. Pentagon will not be on PCW’s show on 01/20; he’s been pulled to work Guerra de Titanes and Drago replaces him. I don’t quite understand how it took until now for AAA to know they’d need Pentagon in Mexico. As soon as they decided to run Guerra de Titanes in January and not December, that was the date that was going to make the most sense, and it seems like they’ve made that decision a month ago. At least the indie promotion was told plenty in advance this time. The last few weeks of AAA TV have been hinting at a Mundo/Pentagon title match, so that could be Pentagon’s Guerra de Titanes match, or they could stick them all in a trios match and kill more time until Rey de Reyes. Meanwhile, Drago not being on that show slightly increases the chances he and Aerostar are losing the tag title belts in Chilpancingo this weekend.
This week’s Box Y Lucha focuses on their awards. There’s a lot of focus on their awards. Photos of the award ceremony were on Facebook this weekend, with people not there confused at the people winning the awards. Letra Roja’s lucha column explains the deal: you could “win” an award via buying it from Box Y Lucha, and luchadors from places far away from Mexico City are going back home with a plaque. Not all of them were bought, but the people who won them were generally more big names who brought in to be guests for the dinner. This is consistent with Box y Lucha’s policies in general, where you can get an interview or show coverage by paying for it. It’s better than Box Y Lucha not existing at all, which has happened during in past decades, but it leaves the magazine with a lot of interviews with obscure people or small shows and not a lot of insight.
CMLL (MON) 12/19/2016Arena Puebla
1) Black Tiger, Lestat, Millenium vs Ares, Fuerza Chicana, Policeman
2) La Vaquerita, Marcela, Sanely vs Amapola, Dalys, Metálica
3) Blue Panther Jr., Stigma, The Panther vs Hechicero, Puma, Tiger
4) Ángel de Oro, Atlantis, Johnny Idol vs Cavernario, Mr. Niebla, Sam Adonis
5) La Máscara, Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy vs Ephesto, Mephisto, Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
They’re doing another Volador/La Mascara match. I have no idea why. I don’t really want to see it. The rest of the card isn’t much good except for the tecera which is usually good (but could use some direction.)
Maya & Panther defending the tag titles is the last match to be added. (The Maya/Terry promos came out before the Dinamitas title shot, so this was probably booked for a while and Lucha Memes politely kept the match quiet until it was safe to announce.) Poor Panther must think he’s teaming with this nice, upstanding guy, and is going to find out he’s teaming with an actual lunatic when Maya gets in the ring with Black Terry again. Hope they do the final match by pinfall for the cage match, doubt they will. I would pay $6 on iPPV for this show easily, even on Christmas Day.
Cara Lucha (SUN) 01/01/2017Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México
1) Flama Roja, Toro Negro III, Toro Negro Jr. vs Alas de Acero, Alas De Plata, Pegazus
2) Arceus, Atomic Fly, Príncipe Aéreo vs Imperio Negro, Torito Negro, Yin Sang
3) Corsario Negro & Gallego vs Látigo & Trauma I [Juventud y Gloria, quarterfinal]
4) Demus 3:16 & Yoruba vs El Bandido & Solar I [Juventud y Gloria, quarterfinal]
5) Templario & Último Guerrero vs ? & ?? [Juventud y Gloria, semifinal] Guerrero & Templario face the winner of Gallego/Corsario & Trauma/Latigo
6) Volador Jr. vs Fénix El Rey vsFlamita
Try #2 for this match, with the hope that Fenix will be healthy. Fenix suggested he’d be using a new name in Mexico (though keeping Rey Fenix for the US) to avoid the trademark issue, so Fenix el Rey seems to be it.
Seems unfair that UG & Templario get to face someone who’s already had a match, but everyone has to make due and it’s a better to have three tournament matches than seven.
CMLL Lucha Libre Retro: 2016-12-09 Cloud Drive
taped 2016-09-24 @ Arena Coliseo
1) Magnus, Marvel, Robin vs El Coyote, Grako, Nitro
2) Diamante Azul, Johnny Idol, Valiente vs Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero
CMLL on ClaroSports.com: 2016-12-09 Cloud Drive
taped 2016-12-09 @ Arena México
1) Robin & Stigma vs Sangre Azteca & Skándalo
2) Fuego, Pegasso, Soberano Jr. vs Okumura, Puma, Tiger
3) Estrellita, Princesa Sugehit, Zeuxis vs Dalys, La Vaquerita, Marcelain a relevos increíbles match
4) Valiente vs La Máscarain a lightning match
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. vs Máscara Año 2000, Shocker, Terrible
6) Carístico, Dragón Lee, Mistico vs Mephisto, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero
IWRG Zona XXI: 2016-12-09 Cloud Drive
taped 2016-12-04 @ Arena Naucalpan
1) Leo, Mike, Rafy, Teelo vs Dowki, Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Príncipe Oriónin a lumberjack strap match
2) Imposible vs Relámpago
3) Chicano, Danny Casas, Veneno vs Dr. Cerebro, Eterno, Pirata Morgan
4) Killer Jr. & Pirata Morgan Jr. vs Golden Magic & Pantera I
AAA on Televisa: 2016-12-10 Cloud Drive
taped 2016-11-20 @ Gimnasio Municipal Jose Neri Santos, Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua
1) Big Mami, Niño Hamburguesa, Octagoncito vs El Apache, Lady Shani, Mini Psycho Clown
2) Faby Apache & Mary Apache vs Averno & Chessman
3) Garza Jr., La Parka, Texano Jr. vs Brian Cage, Johnny Mundo, Marty Casaus
CMLL Guerreros del Ring on 52MX: 2016-12-10 Cloud Drive
taped 2016-11-28 @ Arena Puebla
1) Esfinge, Fuego, Stigma vs Puma, Skándalo, Tiger
2) Diamante Azul, Johnny Idol, Máximo Sexy vs Kráneo, Ripper, Shocker
3) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Gran Guerrero, La Máscara, Último Guerrero
This show should air tonight on AYM, where I’ll probably watch if only to see if they really had 31 people in teh 30 person match. Mascara gets a big belt, and maybe another important match in the next month. It’s good time to be a Mascara 2000. I think I would’ve rather CMLL just bring in this Mascara to be the holiday sacrifice to Maximo, but it’d be more likely for this one to stick around, and CMLL seems to believe Mascara Sr. is a draw despite all evidence to the contrary. It doesn’t say much for Pirata’s hopes of getting the hair match with his son in AAA if he’s setting up a hair match elsewhere.
Puebla tonight has Ultimo Guerrero defending the NWA Middleweight Championship against Valiente. In a small view, it’s a tie breaker match: Valiente beat Ultimo Guerrero in the Universal tournament, Ultimo Guerrero beat Valiente to win the Leyenda de Azul. In the longer view, it’s Valiente trying to break a streak. He’s faced UG three times already for this title, over the last year and change, and Ultimo Guerrero’s won every time. Valiente finally overcoming UG would cement his progress over the last few months. It still seems unlikely, because CMLL is already setting up yet another title rematch between them in Guadalajara, and UG as singles champion might be necessary for both his feud with Caristico and the FantasticaMania tour. Still, every time I think they’re going to pull the rug out from underneath Valiente, he just keeps winning. Maybe he’ll keep winning tonight. I’m not totally interested in the match – it feels like 18 minutes of waiting to see if Valiente will go for that infuriating moonsault – but the outcome is definitely interesting.
The semimain has a relevos incredibles match. Rush returns from a (lukewarm) trip to Japan to team with Ephesto, Mephisto against La Mascara, Rey Bucanero and Volador. Mascara & Volador just had a singles match yesterday. Everyone probably should end up attacking Volador in this match, even though that’s unlikely to happen. The Panther Brothers & Guerrero Maya take on Kraneo, Olimpico and Ripper. Astral returns to Puebla to team with Asturiano & Electrico against Espiritu Maligno, Mini Joker and Sauron. Joker pinned Astral to win the minis/locals cibernetico in the match where Astral got hurt, and tonight might move them towards a title match. Rey Apocalipsis & Toro Bill face Robin & Star Jr., which will at least be better than Friday’s opener. Fuerza Chicana & Guerrero Espacial take on Astro & Zaeta Roja in the opener. It’ll be Zaeta’s second match of the night, as he’s wrestling on a 3 pm show elsewhere in the city, one of a few extra shows today due to a religious holiday.
Pentagon Jr. won the Chile World Submission Championship from Mr. 450 on Sunday.
IWRG (WED) 12/14/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) Bambino & Voltar vs Crezy & Crezy Tiger
2) Águila Enmascarrada, Kira, Rey Flecha vs Magic Dragón, Sombra Metálica, Último Caballero
3) Fireman, Omega, Vardeus vs Fly Tiger, Guerrero 2000, Vampiro Metálico
4) Blue Monsther, Hijo del Alebrije, Shadow Boy vs Adrenalina, Keshin Black, Picudo Jr.
5) Alas de Acero, Aramis, Araña de Plata, Black Dragón, Cadilac, Demonio Infernal, Dragón Fly, Skanda vs Ángel Oriental, Atomic Fly, Cremosito, Keiser Drago, Kill Van, Lady Cat, Marduk Jr.,Salchichita [Torneo Fill]
Mid week IWRG shows (and the posters have said next week’s show will be on Wednesday too.) Main event is FILL vs Gym Zeus (Oficial 911).
They did get to this title match right away, though there’s nothing saying this is the last show of the year. Mascara gets around to his first defense eight months after winning the title.
The Coyote/Grako/Blanca/Imperial guys are now being booked regularly. I wonder if the rookies who aren’t been booked (Warrior Steel/Yago) just ended up leaving the promotion.
CMLL (SUN) 12/18/2016Arena México
1) Oro Jr. & Sensei vs Akuma & Apocalipsis
2) Drone, Fuego, Rey Cometa vs Puma, Skándalo, Tiger
3) La Vaquerita, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit vs Dalys, La Seductora, Metálica
4) Ángel de Oro, Johnny Idol, Rey Cometa vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto
5) Marco Corleone, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Máscara Año 2000, Shocker, Terrible
A show! Maybe Sky Team trios title match for Christmas?
CMLL (SUN) 12/18/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Black Sugar & Micro vs Guerrero de la Muerte & Quca
2) Javier Cruz Jr. & Reycko vs Gran Kenut & Relámpago
3) Nautilius & Neutrón vs León Blanco & Pitbull I
4) Frezzer, Magnum, Star Black vs Infierno, Mr. Trueno, Ráfaga
5) Esfinge, Gallo, Tritón vs Espectrúm, Exterminador, Maléfico
Triton back here again. The Freezer/Mr. Trueno and Neutron/Leon Blanco are moved down a spot, but are probably still headed to a mask match soon.
Atlantis may have to get his title shot next week. CMLL (and most lucha libre promotions) avoid running Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve, and it wouldn’t make sense to bump these shows a day late, so next week could be the final Coliseo show of the year.
CMLL (SUN) 12/11/2016Arena México [CMLL]
1) Astral, Eléctrico, Último Dragóncito b Mercurio, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Olímpico tecnicos took 1/3
2) Amapola, La Metálica, Tiffany b Estrellita, La Jarochita, Sanely Rudas took 1/3, Amapola using the ropes to beat Estrellita. The challenges from Friday apepared again.
3) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Guerrero Maya Jr. DQ Bobby Z, Rey Bucanero, Vangellys Tecnicos took 1/3. Rudos were DQed less than 30 seconds into the third fall for excessive violence. (Tirantes was referee.)
4) Atlantis, Carístico, Stuka Jr. b Euforia, Hechicero, Niebla Roja Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Volador Jr. b La Máscara Volador took 1/3, Volador sneaking in a foul in the third.
A normal CMLL show, by the sounds of it.
The IWRG results should show up tomorrow, but the thing people were really talking about the show was the appearance and activities of Alberto el Patron. He was there watching the show with Paige, probably just to see his brother wrestle. Alberto took photos with fans and wrestlers before the show, and was seated in the owner’s box during part of the show. At some point, he went back stage, and got into to a fight with Ninja Turtle Rafy (aka Alan Xtreme.) It’s unclear what caused it – the story going around is Alberto thought Rafy touched him or Paige and things just very much escalated from there. A brawls in a wrestling locker room is probably not all that uncommon, but the brawl took them out of the locker room and into the hallway that connects to the main arena floor. Plenty of fans heard what was going on and saw what was going on. Between fans who saw and other wrestlers were livid at what happened, the story made it way out on to Facebook pretty quick.
I’m not sure how badly Alberto was hurt. Rafy’s face is said to be very marked up and in bad shape, but stable.. The description of the fight is one sided. If you’re not familiar with the Ninja Turtles, they’re not close to Alberto’s size – Rafy is shorter and smaller. Alberto (and Paige) were seen drinking before the fight.
This was a TV taping, but I don’t think any of this will air on TV. This was really Alberto’s first time in front of the Mexican lucha press since not showing up for Heroes Inmortales and he was doing interviews before the incident. He may have worked some small shows around Mexico and was in Mexico City to promote Combates Americas. (That could be the reason he’s in Mexico right now, come think of it.)
LigerFever has a translation of a three part interview with Konnan on the Reyes del Biutiful: part one, part two, part three. There’s a lot of Konnan speaking about how AAA is run in there, but there’s also another strange Alberto story. Konnan portrays AAA as super concerned about owning the rights to everything to keep that control. (The hosts note it’s even affected to them – they tell a story of Dorian demanding to own the rights to the song they used to introduce Fenix one year at TripleMania, and the group really only wanting to give the rights to Fenix.) Konnan believes AAA goes as far as having someone at the trademark office snitch on any AAA luchador who tries to trademark their own name. It’s easy to look up the trademark info in Mexico and find out if a name’s been put in, so that seems like more work than they’d need to do, but Konnan probably has info on this I don’t. Konnan says AAA tried to trademark the name Alberto el Patron, which led to an enraged Alberto coming to the AAA offices and slapping Dorian Roldan. The story goes Dorian claimed they were doing it to protect Alberto, but Alberto didn’t believe it. There is in fact an AAA trademark for that name (as LigerFever has in screen shots), which AAA’s since given up on.
Caristico and Histeria II will have a mask match on Christmas in Tijuana. Histeria is the same guy who wrestles as Morphosis (in a Histeria mask) in CMLL; I guess we can’t totally rule out him losing his mask in Tijuana and then continuing wrestling in CMLL with a mask. He does only barely wrestle in CMLL, only a handful of matches the second half of this year, and this might just be the end for him as a regular.
Elite (SAT) 12/17/2016Arena Lopez Mateos
1) Alas De Plata & Mr. Leo vs Leviatham & Sádico
2) Emperador Azteca & Zumbi vs Eterno & Fresero Jr.
3) Solar I vs Rocky Santana
4) Ciclón Ramírez Jr. & El Bandido vs Diamante & Imposible
5) Argos, Dr. Karonte Jr., Veneno vs Decnnis, Mr. Águila, Zumbido
6) Golden Magic & Jack Evans vs Flamita & Rey Escorpión
They announced a show on this date a while back, but no we’ve got a lineup. Not taped for TV (and no Azteca logo on the poster.) Main event seems weird but I’d rather see the strange sides than anyone else in the main event.
CMLL (FRI) 12/09/2016Arena México [+LuchaTV, CMLL]
1) Sangre Azteca & Skándalo b Robin & Stigma Robin replaced Oro Jr.
2) Okumura, Puma, Tiger bFuego, Pegasso, Soberano Jr
3)Estrellita, Princesa Sugehit, Zeuxis bDalys, La Vaquerita, Marcela [Relevos Increíbles] Neither team got along, and Dalys’ team won by straight falls somewhat by default. Everyone challenged everyone else.
4) Valiente b La Máscara [lightning]
5) Máscara Año 2000, Shocker, Terrible b Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. Mascara snuck in a foul on Maximo. Challenges followed again.
6) Carístico, Dragón Lee, Mistico b Mephisto, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero Negro Casas & Dragon Lee went to a double pin in the third fall. UG tried to use Negro for leverage (like he did with Niebla Roja last week), but Tirantes caught him. Caristico did the same thing with Dragon Lee and was not caught. Challenges followed again.
Didn’t see the show, but it didn’t sound good. Matches one and three were strongly panned. CMLL had issues with the stream at the end of the semimain into the main event. At least we can catch it complete when it airs on – uh, oh well. All the feuds are about where it seemed like they were headed, though none of the big matches are set for next week.
The schedule of events may have changed for CMLL, and may have also changed for indie promotions. Christmas Day was setting up to a very busy Sunday, probably one of the biggest days of the year for lucha libre. However, LigaMX, Mexico’s soccer league, has announced their half year final game will take place on Christmas Day. A lot of the lucha shows were expected to be around Mexico City, and Mexico City’s most popular team is involved. (Because it’s Christmas Day, you can’t really move it up earlier either.) Lucha Memes says they’re not canceling their show, but have heard other promotions are canceling theirs. CMLL would have a Sunday show at Arena Mexico against the game, which normally would have a big match or two, but may not now.
1) Shockercito & Stukita vs Mercurio & Pequeño Nitro
2) Flyer, Soberano Jr., Star Jr. vs Misterioso Jr., Okumura, Sagrado
3) Estrellita, La Jarochita, La Vaquerita vs La Metálica, Tiffany, Zeuxis
4) Atlantis, Marco Corleone, Stuka Jr. vs La Máscara, Pierroth, Rush
5) Máximo Sexy vs Máscara Año 2000
6) Carístico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
They’re running in place, just killing time until they get to whenever they want to run these matches. Hopefully there is that press conference I keep guessing for Wednesday so we get an idea of when things might actually happen. Semimain is not a lightning match. Fourth match will be Rush’s first match back in Arena Mexico. Zeuxis & Estrellita are the only constants in the women’s feud. If Zeuxis is losing her mask, which we’re not certain is even happening here, Esterllita would not be the person I’d want to get that win – but I’m not sure there is a woman I do want to get that win. It’s not just about Zeuxis, it’s all the other women having strikes against them at the moment.
CMLL’s main event tonight is centered around Caristico & Mistico teaming up, with Dragon Lee the third man on the team. CMLL preview pushes the idea of Caristico facing three of his biggest rivals from his glory days: Mephisto, Negro Casas and Ultimo Guerrero. It’s the last one that matters, with Caristico and Ultimo Guerrero feuding the last couple of weeks. They’re likely having a singles match sometime this month, maybe as soon as next week.
The semimain has Mascara 2000 and Maximo again on opposite sides of a trios match. Terrible, Shocker, Volador and Marco are also part of it. It comes off like Mascara 2000 is around to lose his hair sometime between now and Three Kings Day. There’s been no sign of the usual opening match apuesta feud of the last few years, and Mascara losing his hair works as a replacement. Mascara will probably be better than Ramstein was last year, though that’s not saying much. It would’ve been nice if they aimed a little higher.
The other feud is in the tercera, where the women form odd teams. Female relevos increibles matches are rare. On Informa, and in a Plantilla Deportia interview, Estrellita’s talked about a “bomb” of a surprise coming. She’s also said she has no idea what CMLL has planned for this feud. I am confused by how those concepts work together. This definitely comes off like a cage match feud, with the relevos incredibles a way to get both rudos and tecnicos fighting each other to create the idea of everyone for themselves.
The CMLL calendar could line up something like:
12/16: Caristico vs Ultimo Guerrero
12/23: Dinastia Casas getting their trios title shot
12/30: women’s cage match
01/06: Mascara 2000 vs Maximo in a hair match
That’s just a guess. CMLL figures to run bigger than usual shows on Sundays 12/25 and 01/01 and it’s possible some of these feuds could be shifted to those days. Tonight’s show will confirm some of those matches will be happening, and I suspect there will be a press conference this upcoming Wednesday to sign contracts and put dates to matches.
The lightning match is Valiente versus La Mascara. Valiente is challenging twice for the same title soon, but that’s elsewhere and no sure thing he’ll win here. The second match is Fuego, Soberano, Pegasso versus Okumura, Puma and Tiger. CMLL’s done nothing important with Puma & Tiger since the tournament win. The opener is Stigma & Oro Jr. vs Sangre Azteca & Skandalo.
CultIcon also previews this show. The show will air on ClaroSports at 8:30pm CT. (This is the week where it usually aired on NJPW World, but it’s not listed on their schedule.)
Sangre Imperial replaces Oro Jr. on Tuesday. Oro is still listed on today’s show.
This week’s AAA show appears to be the final first run material of the year (unless they sneak Star Battle in.) If you guesses the last main event of 2016 would be Brian Cage, Johnny Mundo and Martin Casuas versus Garza Jr., La Parka and Texano, you need to be running a lucha website instead of me.
Lucha Retro is back to the 9pm slot this week, though with two matches from 09/24 you probably don’t want to see. (Unless you really want to see what Marvel looks like.)
This is a bit cheating, but I’m fairly certain Lucha Underground will have the other two Battle of the Bull matches. You’ll have to wait for the cage match another week, but the final should air that week as well. This week’s episode has mind games on Sexy Star, and Dragon Azteca checking in on Rey Mysterio.
CMLL (TUE) 12/06/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Arena Coliseo Guadalajara]
1) Mágico & Reyko b Carlo Roggi & Thunder Boy Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Leono, Magnum, Star Black b Artillero, Ráfaga, Rey Trueno Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Princesa Sugehit, Silueta, Skadi b Amapola, La Comandante, La Seductora tecnicas took 1/3.
4) Johnny Idol, Máximo Sexy, Titán b Cavernario, Felino, Terrible Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. b La Máscara, Mr. Niebla, Último Guerrero Tecnicos took 2/3. Valiente challenged UG to a title match, and UG said no.
An all tecnico night. Valiente and Guerrero are having that title match twice, which might give Valiente a chance to lose it twice. I guess it’s better for Valiente’s chances than if someone else was challenging UG for the title here, though it’s unclear why CMLL can’t just book some different feuds.
Manywomenwho were in the same WWE tryout as Zeuxis have been signed to deals recently. Meanwhile, CMLL is suddenly building up a big women’s match, maybe an apuesta match where someone might be losing their hair or mask. Zeuxis appeared at the tryout without her mask, and WWE prefers to unmask people. (Estrellita seemed to hint there was already a plan for a cage match, then said she didn’t know on Informa.) Zeuxis still has the national title belt and they haven’t teased a situation where she might give up yet, so this is not a certainty – this cage bit could be leading up to Amapola or Tiffany or someone else losing their hair – and I don’t have any inside information on this. The timing just matches up interestingly
On Informa, Maximo mentioned Brazo de Plata underwent one operation, and is still waiting for another to get hip surgery done. The original story was Porky had to lose weight before they could operate on his hip, and that first operation might have been to help him with that.
Laredo Kid & Última Sombra vs Flamita & Mr. Elektro, Arena Coliseo Monterrey, 06/19/2016
Metaleón & Mr. Leo vs Puma King & Tiger, Salón Citlalli, Ecatepec, Estado de México, 07/31/2016
Máscara Dorada vs Flamita, Anaheim, California, 06/26/2016
Aero Boy vs Black Terry hair/mask, Autolavado VM, Tulancingo, Hidalgo, 06/10/2016
Some disappointing matches, some I really liked, one I even rated excellent. The topic of “what match would you show a promoter to sell them on [X]” comes up a fair bit on the podcast, and there’s some of those in here. If you hadn’t seen Imposible & Freelance, or Metaleon, Mr. Leo, Puma and Tiger, those matches give you a really good idea of what they’re about. (more…)