Attendance looks randomly better than usual. Niebla has 6 weeks of feuds he’s doing all at once, for some reason. He does not seem like a guy to build half the shows around.
That knee injury must be serious – the preview now has Dalys facing Marcela in the lightning match.
Today’s CMLL show in Arena Mexico has Terrible, Felino and Kraneo versus Marco Corleone, Maximo and Atlantis, who seems to be working everywhere right now. CMLL’s preview pushes Marco going for the gold versus Terrible. Soberano and Cholo face off in the tercera trios match; CMLL’s got an article out pushing that tag feud, with the tecnicos demanding a mask match. If that’s going to happen on 01/06, which would make the most sense, tonight’s is the optimum point to make it official and give it couple weeks of hype.
Guadalajara has Mascara, Mascara Dorada and Valiente vs Ephesto, Mephsito and Thunder. Thunder’s been facing Dorada & Valiente a lot lately.
AYM, in their infinite wisdom, cut out from Traumas/Navarro/Terry before the post match, but +LuchaTV has it up. (AYM did manage to show the logo for about 2 minutes straight at least twice during the show.) Trauma II has Fenix level of emotions about this match.
Jeff Cobb told an indy crowd that he was signing with Lucha Underground. He was one of the names on the list from last week’s WON. Cobb was born in Hawaii and is of Guam nationality; he was their flag bearer at the 2004 Summer Olympics when he was an amateur. He’s been wrestling Hawaii and on the west coast. I don’t think I’ve seen any of his matches, but Cobb was someone Meltzer was previously pushing as someone WWE should pick up for their developmental group except he’s older than they’d like (he’s 32 now.) There are a few of his matches and those top 10 moves videos on YouTube; Cobb’s nicknamed “Mr. Athletic” and the name seems accurate. He’ll fit in.
The promoters have been pushing the LA Park vs Atlantis fight from this past Sunday pretty hard to a singles match, so it’s a three way instead. I dunno. At another time, Atlantis vs LA Park in a mask match might happen, but it’s hard to believe LA Park (or Wagner) will ever get the payoff they want.
C3 is in glorious 480p vision, maybe for one week only.
Puebla feed came back on Monday! Puebla actually aired on Sunday, so that did no one any good. I’ll record it on the odd chance it turns up later.
La Lucha se La Hace appears to be repeating from the beginning again, so I’m not going to bother with them. The local station actually airs new episodes and I’ve got no idea why Mexicanal stopped picking them up (0r why they keep airing repeats which are years old at this point.)
AAA was part one of a Year In Review so there wasn’t much new content. They got all the way thru TripleMania, so it seems to be only a two week run of repeats before getting back to Tuxtla.
Lucha Memes (SUN) 12/21/2014 Coliseo Coacalco, Coacalco, Estado de México [Black Terry Jr. (flickr), MT, Tercera Caida (2), Tercera Caida (3), Tercera Caida (4), Tercera Caida (5),Tercera Caida (6), Tercera Caida (7), Tercera Caida (8)] 1) Dragon Negro & Gato de Ecatepec b Crazy Roman & Obscuro 2) Fly Star & Karma b Alfa (IWRG) & Fulgor I and Fulgor II & Omega (IWRG) 3) Juana La Loca b Miss Gaviota, Loba De Fuego, Demasiado 4) Astro Rey Jr., Benji Maverick, Kastigador, Psico Kid b Chris Boy, Leo (IWRG), Mike, Teelo Chris Boy replaced Rafy. After the usual Turtle comedy, Astro Rey Jr. jumped off the roof of a nearby building onto everyone prior to the finish. He lived. 5) Trauma I & Trauma II b Herodes Jr. & Metálico 6) Mike Segura b Freelance Iron Man match rules, with Segura winning 3 falls 2 in a very good match. 7) Negro Navarro b Judas el Traidor mascot must be involved in winning submission or pinfall. Judas replaced Black Terry – then Monito and Zacarias did not appear for unclear reasons. Good match, if different than what was expected. 8) Arez, Belial, Impulso, Keira b Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro, Oficialito AK47 [cage] 911 escaped first, then Belial, Keira, Arez, AK-47 and Fierro – which left Impulso with the mini AK. Big AK realized that was a poor idea and helped his mini escape, but got caught by Impulso and beat after a top of the cage splash.
Here’s that dive.
2014 is the year of falling off high places. (Which means 2015 will be the year of falling off even higher places.) At least he had four people to catch him? I wouldn’t have offered to catch him this time. The Segura/Freelance match looks very good.
IWRG (SUN) 12/21/2014Arena Naucalpan [Black Terry Jr. (flickr),IWRG] ***Arena Naucalpan 37th Anniversary***
1) Dragón Celestial & Metaleón b Araña de Plata & Hip Hop Man
2) Apolo Estrada Jr., El Hijo del Diablo, Electro Boy, Imposible DQ Leo, Mike, Rafy, Teelo Hijo del Diablo baited one of the ninjas into top rope splashing referee Reyes Rosas by accident, drawing the DQ.
3) Emperador Azteca, Pantera I, Suicida DQ Chicano, Eterno, Oficial 911 Rudos dominated the match, but Eterno fouled Suicida for the DQ.
4) Black Terry & Negro Navarro b Trauma I & Trauma II Negro Navarro talked his sons into doing a straight technical match. The Traumas went for it and lost in straight falls. (Traumas are fools!) Said to be one of the best matches of the year. The Traumas praised Navarro & Terry as great wrestlers and Trauma II handed his mask to Black Terry.
5) X-Fly L Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Pirata Morgan, Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Máscara Año 2000, Oficial AK47, Máscara Sagrada,Súper Nova, Canis Lupus [cage, hair, mask] Everyone was kept inside for 10 minutes, but the Piratas actually jumped Rayo before he got to the ring. Order of escape: Canis Lupus, Super Nova, Hijo de Mascara Año 2000, Hijo de Pirata, Mascara Sagrada, Rayo de Jalisco, Pirata Morgan, Mascara Ano 2000, leaving AK-47 and X-Fly. X-fly lost a lot of blood and 911 kept him from escaping (in revenge for the previous screwup.) Finally, 911 threw power in X-Fly’s face and AK-47 escaped. X-Fly was shaved again while the Oficials celebrated justice.
Finally, the criminal X-Fly got caught. Semimain sound great.
Hijo del Santo said he had a positive checkup with his doctor. If he hears good news in January, he expects to come back to the ring 100%. He’s willing to talk about opponents (Wagner, Park, Demon, Panther, Ultimo Guerrero are brought up by both Santo and the interviewer.) Santo’s also not as definite about Nieto del Santo’s debut as he’s been in the past, saying he wants his son to go to college and do well there before starting in lucha libre, and that he hopes Nieto debuts in 2015 but there is no hurry. This seems like a change in plans – there definite was a hurry to have Nieto debut when Hijo thought his career was ending.
Aerostar wants to go higher in 2015, which may require an aircraft or a spaceship.
IWRG (THU) 12/25/2014Arena Naucalpan
1) Black Fury & Cristal vs Princesa Misty & Yuca La Potranquita
2) Leo, Mike, Rafy, Teelo vs Araña de Plata, Dowki, Hip Hop Man, Imposible
3) Canis Lupus & Eterno vs Liderk & Rayan and Apolo Estrada & El Hijo del Diablo and Centvrión & Miss Gaviota and Oficial 911 & Oficial AK47 and Black Terry & Emperador Azteca andChicano & Danny Casas and Ciclon Black & Tony Rivera [IWRG IC TAG, tournamnet] title vacant on 2014-11-30 when AK47 fails to appear up for a title defense
4) Máscara Sagrada, Súper Nova, Veneno vs Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Pirata Morgan, Pirata Morgan Jr.
Back to Thursday for a couple weeks to take advantage of the holidays. (No one runs on Christmas Eve or New Year’s Eve, everyone runs on Christmas Day or New Year’s Day.)
Oficials get to be in the tag team tournament for the title they lost. Canis Lupus & Eterno are in there too – they were supposed to get the title shot, so this makes more sense than usual. IWRG tournaments tend to be much better than CMLL ones.
CMLL (SUN) 12/28/2014Arena México
1) Bengala & Flyer vs El Rebelde & Espiritu Negro
2) Aéreo, Fantasy, Shockercito vs Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Olímpico, Pequeño Universo 2000
3) Pegasso, The Panther, Tritón vs Boby Zavala, Cancerbero, Okumura
4) Blue Panther Jr. vs Tiger [lightning]
5) Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr., La Máscara vs Mephisto, Pierroth, Sagrado
6) Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Terrible vs Máximo, Valiente, Volador Jr.
3/4 have promise. Maybe they’re actually doing Niebla/Voador? Hey, if Niebla bleeds live on Terra we’d actually see it before they ban it from being aired (as they did with an infamous previous Niebla/Volador match.)
It randomly occurred to me that Diamante Azul hasn’t been around in six weeks. (Maybe he went on Rey Escorpion’s vacation.) He’s the anti-Rush, no one really misses him.
Strong Style Spirit, a long time source of NJPW English language, announced they were shutting down. Stuart’s work was an inspiration for this site, and it’ll be missed.
CMLL (FRI) 12/19/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Domingos Familiares (CMLL)]
1) Relampago & Thunder Boy b El Tapatío & Explosivo
2) Dr. Frezzer & Virgo b El Chakal & Furia Nazi
3) Évola, Infierno, Ráfaga b Exterminador, Leo, Omar Brunetti Exterminador & Infierno added to the match. Extermaindor had problems with Omar again, this time costing them the match.
4) Kamaitachi, Maléfico, Okumura b Gallo, Hombre Bala Jr., Súper Halcón Jr. Rudos took 2/3.
5) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Super Porky b Ephesto, Kráneo, Mephisto tecnicos took 2/3
Exterminador has been a tecnico for about eight months, but that looks to be over.
CMLL (SAT)12/20/2014Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Artillero b Flyer
2) Soberano Jr. bDisturbio
3) Hombre Bala Jr. bOkumura Bala won with the Bala Driver, which turns out to be the half nelson powerbomb move he uses.
4) Fuego b Boby Zavala
5) Sagrado bPegasso Pegasso replaced Rey Cometa on the Wednesday prior.
6) Delta & Guerrero Maya Jr. b Hechicero & Hombre sin Nombre First 3 fall match. Tecnicos took 2/3.
7) Bárbaro Cavernario, Ephesto, Mephisto b Dragón Rojo Jr., Máscara Dorada, Titán Rudos took 1/3, Cavernario sneaking off Titan’s mask and cradling him for the win.
This show looked like it bombed. Maybe that’s not exactly right, because their lights were turned so low (or off) that it’s tough for it to look like anything. CMLL’s turned the lights down in Arena Mexico to hide the crowd for years, but this is the first time I can recall them doing the same in Arena Coliseo. I believe the idea is CMLL wrestlers are guaranteed a certain amount of appearances per time period, and if this show with low pay and lower turnout counts as one of those appearances per month, the luchadors can’t be thrilled. That’s kind of why the original trainee plan made more sense – those guys are going to be happier to work and less concerned about the pay. It looked like they had someone recording it for the CMLL video vault, and I’d watch it because I pretty much watch all CMLL, but these matches will probably end up reading better on paper than reality.
Anyway, they still plan on going on it and seems like they’re going to waste a Cavernario/Titan match here in a few weeks. That opener is Artillero’s first ever recorded singles win. There’s going to be a lot of opening match luchadors getting their first ever singles win if this thing lasts long enough.
CMLL (SUN) 12/21/2014Arena México [CMLL]
1) Akuma & Inquisidor b El Rebelde & Robin Scheduled to be Molotov’s first appearance since August 26, but he was replaced by Rebelde (who didn’t have his usual gear or mask, so must’ve been told at the last second.) Rudos won 1/3 when Rebelde turned on Robin.
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Starman, Súper Halcón Jr. b Hijo del Signo, Metálico, Nitro Tecnicos took 1/3
3) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Pegasso DQ Boby Zavala, Puma, Tiger Tecnicos took 1/3, when Zavala tried to foul Pegasso, got blocked, and pulled his mask instead. Puma was dressed up like the Grinch. Best match on the show
4) Pólvora b Fuego [lightning] Super Polvora Driver in 7:40, a standard Polvora lightning match.
5) Blue Panther, Marco Corleone, Stuka Jr. b Ephesto, Hombre sin Nombre, Kráneo Kraneo replaced Vangellys and Marco replaced Rey Cometa on Monday. Marco’s using the Ingobernable music. Tecnicos took 1/3 clean.
6) Felino, Mr. Niebla, Thunder DQ Máscara Dorada, Valiente, Volador Jr. Rudos took 1/3. Niebla tossed his mask (and wig) to Volador for the DQ.
A show. The tercera was the only one match who approached good. Other people liked it more, but the pointless finish hurt for me. Nothing at all of note; Sunday shows don’t appear to be getting a built up match for the next couple weeks (which means random tournament like Pequeno Reyes del Air.)
Tercera Caida has quick results from Lucha Memes show, and those will go up here tomorrow once a few more details come in. The Indystrongtibles team won the main event cage match against the Oficials. Zacarias and Monito did not appear for their scheduled tag match (they were at Arena Mexico) and Judas el Traidor and Negro Navarro just had a match instead.
CMLL (FRI) 12/26/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Dr. Freezer & Índigo vs Furia Nazi & Thunder Boy
2) El Divino & Virgo vs Jocker & Sádico
3) Exterminador, Leo, Magnum vs El Cuatrero, Maléfico, Sansón
4) Esfinge, Gallo, La Máscara vs Mr. Águila, Terrible, Vangellys
5) Atlantis, Brazo de Oro, Rayo de Jalisco Jr. vs Cien Caras, Máscara Año 2000, Universo 2000
First Cien Caras match here since 2006 (Cien & Universo vs Blue Panther & Virus, which must’ve looked odd.) Rayo’s been in for guests appearances more recently. The last time all three brothers were here together was 2005 against Atlantis, Rayo De Jalisco, and Dr. Wagner Jr. They’ve been doing nostalgia matches for so long, it’s possible to have nostalgia for past nostalgia. No idea why Brazo de Oro is here. Kind of sad that the regular CMLL guys are being treated like lesser stars, but it’s not like the scheduling here is different than usual.
The Guadalajara-focused Kremlingology is getting old, but worth noting long time ref Loco Estrada (and management figure) is not listed as referee for that show. They don’t usually post referees, so not sure if that means something or not.
CMLL (SAT) 12/27/2014Arena Coliseo
1) Robin vs Inquisidor
2) Star Jr. vs Ramstein
3) Oro Jr. vs Metálico
4) Eléctrico vs Mercurio
5) Tritón vs Sangre Azteca
6) Fuego & Rey Cometa vs Puma & Tiger
7) La Máscara, Titán, Valiente vs Bárbaro Cavernario, Felino, Kráneo
Titan and Barbaro match up again. That’s going to be a killer match that 200 people will see. (CMLL becoming 1995 UWA.) Electrico/Mercurio should be good, and they’ve worked in both the past Oro/Metalico msak match and Star/Ramstein future one. This show is probably why those two guys aren’t booked on this upcoming Tuesday’s show, given how CMLL parses everything out.
CMLL (FRI) 12/19/2014Arena México [CMLL]
1) Magnus & Oro Jr. b Espiritu Negro & Súper Comando
2) Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus b Pegasso, The Panther, Tritón
3) Dark Angel, La Vaquerita, Marcela b Amapola, Dalys, La Seductora Dalys was dressed (and painted) like the Grinch. Vaquerita submitted her for the win.
4) Bárbaro Cavernario b Dragón Rojo Jr. [lightning] Barbaro snuck in a foul.
5) Euforia, Thunder, Último Guerrero b La Máscara, La Sombra,Marco Corleone Thunder and Marco are feuding.
6) Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible DQ Atlantis, Máximo, Volador Jr. Rey Bucanero fouled Volador Jr.
A show. Volador/Bucanero goes on.
DTU (FRI) 12/19/2014Autolavado VM, Tulancingo, Hidalgo[DTU (1), DTU (2), DTU (3), DTU (4), DTU (5),DTU (6)] 1) Joven Maravilla &Maremoto Jr. b King Lion & Meteoro 2) Génesis & Sombra de la Noche b Amo de la Noche & Talaxys 3) Hacker & Jinzo bBlack Fire & Slayer Pack 4) Rocky Lobo b Drastik Boy, Septimo Dragon 5) Cíclope, Crazy King,Miedo Extremo b Aero Boy, Corazon Latino,Violento Jack 6) Tony L Kevin, Jimmy,El Chato, El Junior, El Nene [hair] Tony lost his hair. The remaining nerds (Jimmy & Kevin) challenged the Malkriados to a 2 on 3 hair match tomorrow in Arena Lopez Mateos, and the bullies happily accepted.
This was originally a 9 match show; only the main event was run as advertised and it’s possible Facebook results might have missed one. Not sure what the Nerds are thinking going on 2 v 3 but they’re normally pretty smart guys.
AAA has had internal discussions over the past few weeks (maybe months) as to revamping their television, really re-thinking for the ground up or out of the box or whatever jaunty cliché fits best here. To give an idea of what they are considering, even though they have only two TV tapings filmed that have left to air in full, they are not considering any more television tapings (at least in the traditional sense) until the spring, and that would be after the date (mid-March) that they usually run their annual Rey de Reyes show.
“they are considering” is an important thing to notice there, they might not decided on all of this yet. Whatever this is, it sounds possible there still would be a TV show, but just not done as it has been. AAA’s been pretty proud of how well they did drawing people to TV tapings in 2014, which is another reason not running any of them for three months would be odd.
Continue throwing ideas at the wall in the comments – what if they just aired Lucha Underground for a while instead? That would be very weird but something weird is afoot. And may not actually happen.
Hijo del Santo says he’s coming back in 2015. His plan has always been to come back when Nieto del Santo is ready to debut, but we don’t know exactly when that’ll be and it’ll likely only be one last series or one last show when Santo does come back.
Rey Horus (the 2nd Hijo del Rey Misterio, and the one who’s had the highest US profile so far), was announced the King of Indies tournament that’s taking place in San Jose on WrestleMania weekend. B-Boy, Lucha Undergrounds’ Bael, was the first announced particpant and I’d guess there will be other lucha familiar names given the location.
CMLL (FRI) 12/26/2014Arena México
1) Flyer & Molotov vs Akuma & Hijo del Signo
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Oro Jr., Súper Halcón Jr. vs Okumura, Puma, Virus
3) Guerrero Maya Jr., Super Porky, The Panther vs Ephesto, Hechicero, Mephisto
4) Negro Casas vs Rey Cometa, Máscara Dorada, Sangre Azteca, Delta, Pólvora, Titán, Kamaitachi, Fuego, Tritón [CMLL WELTER] vacant championship; Mistico gave it up after being hit by a car
5) Máximo, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Mr. Niebla, Rey Bucanero, Shocker
The title match is phrased like it’s the complete determination match (instead of final two coming back next week.) We’ll see. They could always run Volador/Bucanero next week.
Mistico actually will not return before they hand out this belt, which is a bit surprising. Maybe it’s Three King’s Day? He’s running out of time to get in the ring before FantasticaMania.
AAA (THU) 12/18/2014Gimnasio Olímpico Juan de la Barrera, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal [AAA (1), AAA (2), AAA (3), AAA (4), AAA (5), AAA (SoundCloud)]
1) Jennifer Blake & La Jarochita b Cinthia Moreno & Sexy Lady Jennifer beat Cinthia.
2) Dinastía, Mini Drago, Octagoncito b Mini Abismo Negro, Mini Histeria, Mini Murder Clown
3) Demon Rocker, Machine Rocker, Soul Rocker b Monsther Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown
4) Angélico, Australian Suicide, Jack Evans b Joe Lider, Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Texano Jr. Joe Lider replaced Silver King.
5) El Elegido, Electroshock, La Parka b Chessman, Cibernético, Daga Zorro (knee – appeared to apologize for missing the show) was replaced by Daga (back from injury.)
A free sponsored show. Parka gave out gifts to end the night. Daga returning from his injury is a nice sign.
Sexy Star and Blue Demon weren’t there, because they were at the Univison Deportes awards. Blue Demon’s El Rey role is possibly his career best: he shows up to award shows as a famous, he’s treated as a ominous threat, but he almost never wrestles and he put over the lead rudo when he does. This exactly meets my level of Blue Demon interest.
CMLL’s main event tonight is Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Shocker versus Volador, Atlantis, and Maximo. Volador & Bucanero are feuding. CMLL already announced the Welterweight cibernetico for next week, and a Volador/Bucanero singles match would fit with that. The other possible TV matches are an Ingobernable vs Thunder/UG/Euforia trios and a Cavernario/Dragon Rojo lightning match. On Twitter, Sombra’s said this is his last match in DF for the year. Dark Angel’s said the same. The Mexican tradition is to return to your hometown (or the hometown of your parents) for the holiday season, so this weekend might be the last show of the year in DF for a few people.
CMLL also has a preview of Saturday’s show. Instead of the youth concept, they’re pushing it as a throw back to the lineups of the 1930s when Arena Coliseo was opened (“bring your bowler hat and moccasins if a male and your big hat and gloves if you’re a woman”) instead of the original concept. The preview notes Star Jr. & Sobreano Jr. are going with “El Principes del Ring” as a team name. There’s no TV deal announced with the Saturday’s show, but CMLL tapes lots of stuff they never end up using and I’d suspect this show will be another one of those things.