taped 2015-02-17 @ Arena México (more…)
Angelico [O], Ivelisse, Son of Havoc b Aerostar, Drago [X], Fenix to advance in the trios title tournament (8:13, shooting star press)
Sexy Star b Super Fly (5:46, la casita)
Prince Puma (c) b King Cuerno to retain the Lucha Underground Championship (9:03, 630 senton)
Dario met with Puma and Konnan to explain he wanted the Lucha Underground Trios championship to be as important as the heavyweight one. Dario made Puma captain of a team, telling him to find two partners for a match next week against his own selected team. Konnan pushed for more info about Dario’s team, and Dario revealed King Cuerno would be on it, Prince Puma would face King Cuerno tonight, Cuerno’s partners would be with him, and the match would be for the Lucha Underground championship.
Later, Konnan told Puma he’d recruited Hernandez to be on the team. They were interrupted by Johnny Mundo, who revealed Prince Puma had also asked him to be on the team. Konnan wasn’t happy with the idea of team with Mundo, while Puma still seems (quietly!) uncomfortable with Hernandez.
Texano and Cage, Cuerno’s partners for next week, backed him up and helped Cuerno in the match. Puma still won, thought with some help from Hernandez. Prince Puma didn’t want to help. They had an animated discussion about after the match, only to be interrupted by Cage & Texano attacking. A five man brawl (with the defeated Cuerno being pulled out by the referee) ended the show.
This week’s trios title match saw both teams fall apart during the match. No one on Son of Havoc’s team really wanted to work together and Drago & Aerostar avoided tagging each other in out. Both teams seemed to pull it together, only for Ivelisse to walk out on Son of Havoc when he dove for a tag while Drago and Aerostar started slapping each other in the face. Havoc overcame Aerostar & Drago to get the win, much to Ivelisse’s surprise and distress.
Sexy Star and Super Fly were forced to fight each other for disappointing Dario by losing last week. Dario ensured they’d fight hard by spontaneously making it a mask versus mask match. The announcers emphasized how strange it was to have a sort of sudden mask match, questioning Dario’s decisions strongly than they have in the past. Super Fly aggressively went after Sexy Star, but missed his moonsault and was rolled up for the pin. Super Fly demanded Sexy Star unmask him, and she sadly did. Pentagon Jr. attacked both after the match, this time breaking Super Fly’s arm before Sexy Star could stop him.
This show is one I thought would get a lot of negative feedback, because of the quick mask match. I try to avoid reading reviews until after writing my own, but there didn’t seem to be many people complaining about it on Twitter during the show. It helps that Sexy Star is popular with the show’s fans, and part of the reason this happens appears to simply give Sexy a big win with no help before she faces Pentagon. It kind of got lost a little bit with Pentagon running in right after, but it’s a win they can bring up forever on the show and make seem bigger than it was in the moment. (The other reason I think this happened was to bring Lucha Underground and AAA slightly more in line, which is another Lucha Underground Sexy Star dilemma for another day.)
I didn’t have any problem with it, I was amused to watch it happen before my eyes (a second time!) Striker and Vampiro really pushed the idea of Dario cheapening the mask stip by doing it at random, actually voicing the most likely complaints in the segment while trying to shift the blame for to Dario (instead of putting it on the promotion.) I think they handled it as well as possible.
Prince Puma and King Cuerno came off better on TV than it did live. There was one botched spot in (at a spot they really couldn’t take it off), and it was probably a bit slower than people would’ve expected from a Prince Puma match, but it still was satisfying and set up next week’s tournament match well.
Opener trios match had a lot of stories to juggle and had to handle a match in between. They made the most out of everything, building towards Drago/Aerostar well and continuing Havoc’s post breakup win streak. None of the matches on this show were super, but they were all very solid.
CMLL (TUE) 04/07/2015 Arena México [CMLL, Yahoo! Deportes]
1) Mercurio & Pequeño Universo 2000 b Fantasy & Último Dragoncito
Stukita originally replaced Angelito, but it was Fantasy in that spot by the time the match happened. The rudo side started out as Pequeno Universo & Pequeno Nitro, but ended up with double subs. Mercurio pulled Dragoncito’s mask to set up the win.
2) Flyer, Magnus, Robin b Artillero, Disturbio, Súper Comando
Tecnicos were calling this team MFR on social media
3) Cancerbero, Raziel, Sangre Azteca b Oro Jr., Soberano Jr., Star Jr.
4) Virus b The Panther [lightning]
5) Blue Panther, Titán, Valiente b Ephesto, Hechicero, Luciferno
6) Dragon Lee, La Máscara, Stuka Jr. b Euforia, Kamaitachi, Negro Casas
Stuka replaced Dragon Rojo Jr. (injury) on Monday. La Mascara beat Casas with a casita.
Virus and Panther hasn’t been uploaded. CMLL’s Facebook was still promoting Stukita as appearing on this show when another part of CMLL set out a lineup without him. I dunno.
Tonight’s episode title is “[spoiler]”. Matches happening include
- Angelico, Ivelisse, Son of Havoc vs Aerostar, Drago, Fenix in the Lucha Underground Trios Championship Tournament – entrances and first minute or so of the action
- Super Fly vs Sexy Star
- King Cuerno vs Prince Puma (c) for the Lucha Underground Championship
They haven’t promoted the last one as of yet. It had a couple problems live, and there’s a bit of logical problem: Striker’s been hitting “wins and losses really matter here!” and Cuerno’s getting a title shot coming off a big loss while Mundo beat him and isn’t getting a shot (at least yet.)
Maybe they’ll explain it during the show. There is a Dario/Puma meeting – they posted a bit of it already, revealing that a Prince Puma led team will also be in the tournament versus another Dario Cueto selected trio next week. That’s the third match in the tournament, with the final coming in two weeks.
The Lucha Temple site theorized Dario Cueto is running a lucha libre promotion to please the Azteca gods. I think it’s 50/50 bet this is correct.
The main event on a show Sunday in Cuernavaca was Dr. Wagner Jr., Super Brazo, and Shocker versus LA Park, Canek, Hijo del Pirata Morgan. Shocker was filling it for Mr. Niebla (so he didn’t think he’d be back in CMLL at this point), and so it was slightly CMLL vs AAA. Pirata’s still working a lot of indy shows. That show had a 90 minute delay before the main event, with the promoter eventually putting the blame on the commissioner, though he didn’t explain why.
The Perros del Mal promotion will hold a mass in memory of HIjo del Perro Aguayo on April 11th in Mexico City.
IWRG is bringing in Myzteziz on 04/16, and trying a new staggered pricing scheme. The price for the tickets will go up twice before the show, more expensive the later you wait. IWRG’s also running a ruleta de la muerte on 04/19.
Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. will be out a month after his elbow dislocation. He complimented the medical crew that helped him, but complained there was no ambulance at the venue to take him to the hospital – he had to wait until his father was done with the main event to drive him there.
All Elite LA Park & Volador Jr. will team on 04/19.
Marcela is back in New York’s WUW on 04/18. She’s pictured as champion and may be by that point.
Lucha Libre in Japan
03/25 REINA: Amapola [O] & KANA b Silueta [X] & Narumiya
CMLL also announced La Comandante is returning to REINA again from April 22 to July 11th.
IWRG (SUN) 04/12/2015 Arena Naucalpan
1) Aeroman & Astro Rey Jr. vs Araña de Plata & Atomic Star
2) Leo, Mike, Rafy, Teelo vs Electro Boy, Hip Hop Man, Imposible, Picudo Jr.
3) Hijo de Mascara Sagrada, Relámpago, Yakuza vs Canis Lupus, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Oficial 911
4) Chicano, Ricky Cruz, Veneno vs Eterno, Pirata Morgan, X-Fly
5) Hijo De Dos Caras © vs Negro Navarro [IWRG IC HEAVY]
Dos’ five defense.
Navarro beat Dos a couple weeks ago.
Yakuza’s not an evil AULL invader any more, I guess.
CMLL (TUE) 04/14/2015 Arena México
1) Acero & Aéreo vs Pequeño Olímpico & Pequeño Universo 2000
2) Magnus, Robin, Sensei vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Hijo del Signo, Nitro
3) Hombre Bala Jr., Soberano Jr., Star Jr. vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Sangre Azteca
4) Fuego vs Virus [lightning]
5) Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr., The Panther vs Misterioso Jr., Pierroth, Sagrado
6) Atlantis, Dragon Lee, La Máscara vs Kamaitachi, Rey Bucanero, Terrible
They’re still doing Virus singles matches, just every Tuesday. Kamaitachi and Dragon Lee repeat in the main event. Panthers/Boricuas fed is back again.
CMLL (TUE) 04/14/2015 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Divino & Virgo vs Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno
2) Leo, Starman, Stigma vs Inquisidor, Maléfico, Metálico
3) Goya Kong, Marcela, Silueta vs La Comandante, La Seductora, Tiffany
4) Ángel de Oro, Stuka Jr., Super Porky vs Hechicero, Shocker, Vangellys
5) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
Sky Team vs Guerreros.
=AAA TV (SAT) 05/02/2015 Lienzo Charro, Pachuca, Hidalgo
1) Faby Apache & Keira vs Mary Apache & Taya Valkyrie
2) Angélico & Jack Evans vs Dark Cuervo & Dark Scoria
3) El Elegido, Monsther Clown, Murder Clown vs Electroshock, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Kronoz
4) Psycho Clown vs Zorro, Averno [Copa Victoria Mexico Team 2 Selection]
5) Blue Demon Jr. vs Chessman © [AAA LA]
Chessman’s first defense
6) El Patrón Alberto & Fénix vs Brian Cage & El Mesías
Lineup via KrisZ
Air Date: 05/23 & 05/30 is where it would fall on the schedule. That’s so far in the future that something will certainly happen between now and then. It would mean part of this airs after the International Tournament.
The fourth match is to select the third member of that team. Zorro and Averno seem unlikely to be representing Mexico this year. If it’s Psycho Clown advancing here, then it’s surely Texano Jr. advancing on the previous taping.
The Electroshock trio was introduced in January in Naucalpan. They’ll actually team together in a match for the first time four months later. They should finally get off to a good start, since the Elegido, Monsther and Murder Clown is setting the difficultly level to easy. Unsure why AAA just didn’t reveal Kronoz’s name when it was going to be the same name he was using on the indies after all.
That trio story is moving quicker than the Demon/Chessman one. That’s a make up match from 2014’s Rey de Reyes. Chessman’s been champ for 15 months, had zero defenses. This belt has been less than vital, but it seems to exist to be a vanity belt for a big name and Demon’s a big name (if he shows up.)
Main event continues the Cage/Alberto feud. Fenix has a rare match without Fantasma. Second match is a rematch from three days prior.
Opener is the debut of indy luchadora Keira, the latest in the new names showing up in AAA this year. Last year, Keira had to be taken off a show with AAA wrestlers and it was said it happened because she was going to debut with CMLL soon. Plans change.
If there’s no change in air date order, there’s no need to tape anything until that international tournament. It’d be another long time go between tapings, though.
AAA TV (THU) 04/30/2015 Palenque de la Feria Mesoamericana, Tapachula, Chiapas
1) Dinastía, Ludxor, Venum vs Apache, Carta Brava Jr., Mini Psycho Clown
2) Fénix vs Electroshock vs Hijo del Fantasma [Copa Victoria Mexico Team 2 Selection]
3) Angélico & Jack Evans vs Dark Cuervo & Dark Scoria
4) La Parka vs Texano Jr. vs Cibernético [Copa Victoria Mexico Team 2 Selection]
5) Drago & Myzteziz vs Joe Lider & Pentagón Jr.
6) El Patrón Alberto vs Brian Cage
Air Date: If Rey de Reyes is only 1 week long, then this will air May 9th and May 16. If not, shift it one week forward
A big news item is simply artwork on the poster: this starts the build to Verano de Escandalo, which will indeed take place prior to TripleMania again this year. Verano figures to be June or July, and TripleMania maybe August or September. No locations or dates for any yet. They are really heading towards the show – the main event keeps setting up that title match, and the opener might be setting up a title match too.
AAA ran this same venue last year, with just about the same opener. (Carta Brava & Apache vs Ludxor & Venum is a Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner situation.) They’re back on Kid’s Day this year. Lineup is pretty strong, and the combination of the day and the luchadors should put a lot of people in seats for this show.
The press conference to introduce Rey Misterio Jr. also talked about this Copa Victoria International tournament. Alberto, Rey and Myzteziz are team #1 from Mexico. The plan announced then was to hold a tournament to decide the second team. We haven’t heard much about it since, but it figures these two matches are to determine the first two spots on the team, with a third to come at a taping between now and the May 23rd tournament. Both matches have two feuding people (Fenix/Fantasma and Cibernetico/Parka) with a third wheel who might take advantage of the other issues.
Match five is a non-title match with Myzteziz & Drago involved. Could set up more Pentagon/Myzteziz, could set up Myzteziz getting a new partner with Fenix being busy on other matters. This is where Myzteziz first appeared in AAA.
Tag match follows up on SLP, where Cuervo & Scoria cost Angelico & Jack matches. It’s a big match for La Secta, who haven’t been in the mix a lot but have a built up match against good opponents.
Next show is unknown. Probably not a two taping weekend, since they only announced one show on TV. May be a while, but there should be one or two in May prior to the Copa Victoria.
CMLL (SUN) 04/05/2015 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Fuego en el RIng]
1) Relampago & Satara b Brillante & Linterna Verde Jr.
Linterna’s (from Arena Jalisco) debuted in a loss.
2) El Chakal & El Gitano b Nube Roja & Toro Negro
The old Nube Roja returning for the first time since 2011, with a new Toro Negro. Rudos took 2/3.
3) Demonio Maya, Demonio Rojo, Évola b El Divino, Frezzer, Virgo
Virgo is going for Demonio Maya and the middleweight title, but Evola distracted the ref and Maya pulled Virgo’s mask to roll him up for the pin.
4) Leo, Omar Brunetti, Pepe Aguayo b Furia Roja, Pitbull I, Pitbull II
Tecnicos took 1/3. Furia Roja replaced Gran Eku. Story is everyone is gunning for Pepe Aguayo. Pepe beat Pitbull II for the win.
5) Exterminador & Maléfico b Forastero & Gallo and El Cuatrero & Sansón and Flash I & Flash II
Cuatrero & Sanson were out first, followed by Gallo & Forastero, then the Flashes, leaving Exterminador & Malefico the winners.
indy (SUN) 04/05/2015 Arena Coliseo Monterrey [LuchaMania Monterrey]
1) Mini Difunto b Mini Big Neurosis
2) Bestia I & Bestia II b Baby Chavez & Sexy Piscis
3) Centauro, Demenzía, Gato Fantasma b Ninja Jr., Obsesión, Super Jack
4) Epydemius b Extreme Tiger, Dralion, Kaientai, Rico Rodriguez, Galactar[LyC CRUISER]
New title. Idea was winners of different qualifying matches (Tiger, Epydemius, Dralion, Kaientai) would advance to the final. Kaientai won one of the matches last Sunday, but did it by pinning Rico while using the ropes. Rico argued his way to getting in the match anyway. Galactar was added for no particular reason. Good match, Epydemius beating Kaientai with a 450 splash.
5) Blue Demon, Hombre Sin Miedo, Silver King b Hijo del Ninja, Humberto Garza Jr., Ultimo Ninja
Hombre sin Miedo replaced Silver King. Total brawl. Ninjas took 2/3, the last with Humberto using the ropes to beat Silver King. King, who had previously tried a foul to win, complained bitterly about the result and refereeing. Challenges followed.
Attendance wasn’t as high as the previous shows under this brand, but still good.
CMLL (MON) 04/06/2015 Arena Puebla [El Popular, Periodico Enfoque]
1) Black Tiger & Zaeta Roja DQ Ares & Hijo del Signo
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Starman, Súper Halcón Jr. b King Jaguar, Policeman, Toro Bill Jr.
King Jaguar was hurt
3) Marcela b Syuri [lightning]
Syuri’s first loss on this tour.
4) Bárbaro Cavernario, Gran Guerrero, Pólvora b Ángel de Oro, Stigma, Stuka Jr.
Polvora defeated Angel de Oro.
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo, Rush b Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys
Tecnicos took 2/3.
6) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. b Euforia, Shocker, Último Guerrero
Mistico submitted Ultimo for the win.
The weekly list of CMLL cards reappeared on Terra this week, bringing the usual bit of subs. Not sure what the deal is with Dragon Rojo, who’s off of Tuesday’s show (Stuka Jr. in) but in on Friday (Brazo de Plata out); can’t just be injury. Pequeno Violencia is still not ready to come back from his knee injury, Mercurio will replace him tonight, and Pequeno Nitro takes Mercurio’s place on Sunday. Angelito replaces Stukita tonight, Pierrothio replaces Pequeno Universo on Friday.
Tonight’s Arena Mexico main event gives a chance to Dragon Lee & Kamaitachi. The unmasked Kamaitachi teams with Euforia & Negro Casas versus Dragon Lee, Stuka Jr., La Mascara. Like a lot of the matches tonight, it has a chance to be good, but it’s not certainty. Tonight’s lightning match, Virus versus the Panther, is worth seeking out when it gets placed on YouTube.
SuperLuchas notes yesterday was the 29th anniversary of the death of El Solitario.
DJ Spectro looks back at El Santo vs El Gladiador.
Lucha Libre in Japan
NJPW announced Naito would be headed to Mexico on May 23rd for about a month. This is after the shows he’s working in the US for ROH. It’s also during NJPW’s Best of Super Juniors, where Naito wouldn’t be doing much or anything at all, so it makes sense for someone to come over.
NJPW has also announced their annual G1 heavyweight tournament would take place from July 20 and August 16th. Just like the Best of Super Juniors, that would make sense as a time where NJPW junior heavyweights might be dispatched to Mexico; if Mascara Dorada is going to be back in CMLL any time soon, it’d be during that time period. It kind of would make a lot of sense for CMLL to hold the Universal tournament during that period – but it appears the G1 field will be larger this year, which means Rush and/or Sombra are probably going to be involved (and wouldn’t be around to take part.
A few English speaking people watching the show got the impression Alberto el Patron was announced for the show, but I couldn’t find any one in Japan saying that and NJPW hasn’t said that; someone probably misheard something. It would be big news if he was in the tournament.
CMLL (FRI) 04/10/2015 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Alteño & El Tapatío vs El Piraña & Satara
2) El Divino, Frezzer, Índigo vs El Chakal, Évola, Gran Kenut
3) Virgo vs Demonio Maya [lightning]
4) Flash I & Flash II vs Exterminador & Maléfico
5) Esfinge, Magnum, Omar Brunetti vs Jocker, Ráfaga, Sádico
Semimain follows up on the four way final from this week. Main event has a lot of younger guys who aren’t usual main event types.
CMLL (MON) 04/13/2015 Arena Puebla
1) Arkalis & Tigre Rojo Jr. vs El Malayo & Guerrero Espacial
2) Astral, Astro, Eléctrico vs Espíritu Maligno, Pierrothito, Saurón
3) Dragon Lee, Fuego, Stuka Jr. vs Luciferno, Misterioso Jr., Sangre Azteca
4) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Máximo vs Kráneo, Rey Escorpión, Ripper
5) Atlantis, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Mephisto, Shocker
Polvora/Angel de Oro last night seemed like it might be starting a feud, but that’s dropped. Not a lot going on here.