CMLL (TUE) 09/20/2016 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [+LuchaTV, Martes de Glamour]
1) Metálico, Ráfaga, Rey Trueno b Leono, Mágico, Magnum
Rudos took 1/3.
2) Misterioso Jr., Okumura, Sagrado b Blue Panther Jr., Esfinge, The Panther
Rudos took 1/3.
3) Felino, Kráneo, Ripper b Blue Panther, Johnny Idol, Stuka Jr.
Rudos took 1/3.
4) Marco Corleone b Terrible
Marco took 2/3 to beat Terrible and win the feud.
5) Atlantis, Máscara Dorada, Mistico b Gran Guerrero, Matt Taven, Rey Bucanero
Matt Taven replaced Shocker. Tecnicos took 1/3.
The following day, Dia del Luchador, local and legendary Guadalajara luchadors were honored. Photos here.
CMLL continues it’s stretch of bigger than usual Friday shows with a double main event tonight. The last match is this year’s Reyes del Aire match, a 12 man cibernetico to determine the best high flyer in the promotion. In reality, a bunch of people who are not normally considered high flyers (but good at catching their big moves) will be included. Last year’s winner was La Sombra. He will not be repeating. Volador is a 3 time winner, Valiente a 2 time winner, and La Mascara won the 2006 tournmanet.
The field is Mistico, Volador, Dragon Lee, Mascara Dorada, Valiente and Maximo as tecnicos, and Mephisto, Negro Casas, Dragon Rojo, La Mascara, Barbaro Cavernario and Euforia as rudos. Cavernario is the only rudo who might stand a chance at winning; La Mascara should do well as part of the usual post mask match bounce, but wouldn’t fit as a winner. The winner is probably coming from the tecnico side, probably from the Mistico, Volador and Dragon Lee group. Mascara Dorada is as good as them, but isn’t going to win while going to WWE, even as many times as I joke about it on podcasts. I said Dragon Lee yesterday, but today I’m feeling more like they’ll give Mistico a big win. Hopefully they’ll have the right audience for it.
ESTO is sponsoring the Reyes del Aire, as part of their own 75th anniversary of running a sports daily, and has quick introductions and quotes about each of the 12 luchadors in the match.
The other main event is Matt Taven facing Rush, in Taven’s last match in ROH. The outcome is pretty obvious, but the match itself should still be interesting. Taven’s looked better than I would’ve guessed coming of a knee injury, and this will be his one big chance to have a singles match in Mexico so he might really go for it. Rush has mixed well with foreigners, so they could have something quite good here.
ESTO interviewed Matt Taven, who seems to have enjoyed his time in Mexico and notes Rush hurt his cheekbone. That dropkick is not fun. Taven says has a plan for Rush.
There are four more matches, which might get shorted on time given how much they’ll need for the later ones. Atlantis, Marco and former Reyes del Aire winner Stuka take on Ultimo Guerrero, Terrible and Shocker. Angel de Oro, also a former winner, teams with Titan & Johnny Idol against Bobby Z, Ephesto and Hechicero. Fuego, Pegasso and Soberano Jr., who probably will win a Reyes del Aire if they keep it going long enough, fight Puma, Tiger and Virus in a good looking segunda. The show opens with Oro Jr. & Star Jr. against Cancerbero & Raziel.
CultIcon also previews the show. It will air on ClaroSports back at the normal time of 8:30pm. I’ll be at the show live again, and it’ll be impossible for me to record it, so you’ll have to look elsewhere if you miss it.
Meanwhile, Elite tapes their TV show in Arena Neza. It’s unclear if this is one time stop; Elite’s suggested they’re moving around a bit. They’ve got two big singles matches – Caristico versus Xtreme Tiger and Cibernetico versus Rey Escorpion – but that arena has been a tough draw outside of regular AAA TV tapings. The show will air Saturday night on Azteca.
Google’s Doodle of the day is El Santo in honor of his 99th birthday. While the other stuff I’m writing about is big in the moment today, that art work is the biggest thing in lucha libre for the rest of the world. September 23, 2017, makes sense as a big show for Hijo del Santo and Santo Jr. CultIcon has a tribute to El Santo.
AAA/Ouduo announced Akebono, Kenzo, Naomichi Marufuji, Taiji Ishimori, Aja Kong, Natsu Sumire, Masato Tanaka, Ikuto Hidaka, and Toshizo for the 10/26 Star Battle show. Everyone but the masked Toshizo also participated in the Lucha World Cup .
Adictos Al Deporte, back posting feverishly about Heroes Inmortales after being quiet for months, floats the idea of Lucha Underground wrestlers on Heroes Inmortales and Garza Jr. being in Lucha Underground. It’s interesting they’re trying to use Lucha Underground to gain attention for Heroes Inmortales, given how little the US show seemed to be over at TripleMania.
Mexican hip hop group La Banda Baston will appear on the Crash show. They have a concert the same night in Tijuana, so they’re probably just showing up briefly. They’ve appeared on wrestling shows prior, notably playing Fenix to the ring, but they’re also notable because the members of the group are also the hosts of the Reyes del Biutiful podcast.
CMLL (TUE) 09/27/2016 Arena México
1) Leono & Robin vs Artillero & Cholo
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Magnus, Oro Jr. vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Metálico, Sangre Azteca
3) Fuego, Soberano Jr., The Panther vs Misterioso Jr., Puma, Sagrado
4) Blue Panther Jr. vs Virus [lightning]
5) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Dragón Lee vs Cavernario, La Máscara, Mr. Niebla
6) Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Titán vs Pierroth, Ripper, Rush
We lucked out on which Tuesday show to see. Lots of trios matches with good people mixed in with not good (maybe the tercera has the most hope) and nothing sticking out. Blue Panther Jr/Virus should at least be interesting.
CMLL (TUE) 09/27/2016 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Explosivo & Neutrón vs Mr. Apolo & Relámpago
2) Estrellita, Princesa Sugehit, Sanely vs La Seductora, Reyna Isis, Tiffany
3) Esfinge, Pegasso, Rey Cometa vs Okumura, Skándalo, Tiger
4) Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada, Máximo Sexy vs Rey Bucanero, Sam Adonis, Terrible
5) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Negro Casas, Shocker
Main event is has the Sky Team versus the tag champions and Shocker. I’m guessing they’re repeating the tag title match here. Mascara Dorada continues to wrestle in Guadalajara.
IWRG (WED) 09/28/2016 Arena Naucalpan
1) Águila Enmascarada & Kira vs Crecy León & Crezy Tiguer
2) Canario, Keshin Drago, Volta vs Charly Boy, Guerrero 2000, Vardeus
3) Fireman, Omega, Shadow Boy vs Keshin Black, Picudo Jr., Skanda
4) Cadilac, Leo, Mike vs Demetrio El Gladiador, Demonio Infernal, Hip Hop Man
5) Alas de Acero, Aramis, Araña de Plata, Atomic Star, Black Dragón, Dragón Fly, Hijo del Alebrije, Kanon vs Demente Extreme, El Pachico, Fuerza Negra, Kid Jaguar, Ojo De Halcón, Pinochito, Shadow, Tromba
FILL (Black Terry) vs Lucha Libre Boom (Fantasma de la Opera)
No IWRG Wednesday shows in September inevitably ended with a Wednesday IWRG show to close out September. After an IWRG vs Lucha Memes match on Sunday, there will be an IWRG vs Lucha Libre Boom on Wednesday, a prelude to LLB running their own show in a couple of weeks.
Demeterio, Hip Hop Man’s dad, is back in the semifinal.