MDA (SUN) 07/31/2016Arena Coliseo Monterrey [+LuchaTV, LuchaMania Monterrey]
1) Mini Hator DCOR Mini Difunto both were counted out after a Spanish Fly to the floor.
2) Tekilita b Chamaco Gurrola hair match challenges followed
3) Epydemius, Ninja Jr., Obsesión b Lince De Oro & Tormento [super libre] Ulitmo Ninja, Golden Magic and Metaleon all were announced but didn’t appear. This left it 3 v 2, with the 2 eliminating Ninja Jr. & Epydemius before Obsesion beat them. This sets up a cage match.
4) Ángel de Oro, Galactar, Laredo Kid b Delta, Dragón Lee (CMLL), Hijo de LA Park Angel de Oro & Dragon Lee were added to the match. Galactar snuck a foul in on Delta.
5) Pierroth, Rambo, Silver King DQ El Divo, El Hijo del Solitario, La Máscara Silver fouled Mascara, Mascara fouled Silver, the ref saw only the second. Singles match challenges followed.
6) Hijo De Octagon & Octagón DQ Fuerza Guerrera & Juventud Guerrera Octagons masks came off when they were tied to the ropes (same finish they’re doing everywhere)
7) Caifan DQ Atlantis Atlantis took 2/3, Caifan getting the three count but still being DQed for a foul.
8) LA Park DDQ Rush [super libre] Referees argued over which side won by DQ; the first referee said it was LA Park won by DQ. (It’s still super libre, a no DQ match.)
The last five matches ending in foul, and the last four ending in DQ, is the most Monterrey possible show. The LA Park/Rush video is complete, if you weren’t aware it was around.
CMLL (TUE) 08/02/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Martes de Glamour]
1) Carlo Roggi & Linterna b Capitán Cobra & Johnny Dinamo Rudos took 1/3
2) Estrellita, Princesa Sugehit, Sanely b Amapola, La Seductora, Reyna Isis Tecnicos took 2/3.
3) Kráneo, Olímpico, Vangellys b Esfinge, Rey Cometa, Vaquero Rudos took 1/3. Vaquero was this show’s Super Porky replacement. Gallo doesn’t seem to be around, with Gallito seconding other locals instead (like Vaquero here to go against Mije.)
4) Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible b Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada, Stuka Jr. Rudos took 1/3.
5) Ephesto, Euforia, Mephisto b Carístico, Mistico, Volador Jr. Rudos took 1/3, the last when Mephisto unmasked Caristico. Caristico demanded a singles match next week.
Huge crowd; the upper level was plenty full, and they normally don’t even have people up there. Caristico wore something around his lower waist as a protection for his injury (looking similar to what Thunder was wearing.)
IWRG (WED) 08/03/2016Arena Naucalpan [+LuchaTV, The Gladiatores]
1) Brazo De Oro Jr. & Keiser Drago b Fly Tiger & Último Caballero
2) Araña de Plata b Alas de Acero, Guerrero 2000, Aramis, Hanaoka Fujin & Raijin were in attendance with a sign rooting on Hanaoka.
3) Dowki, Picudo Jr., Skanda b Black Dragón, Hijo del Alebrije, Yakuza
4) Judas el Traidor b Black Terry Judas somehow snuck in a chain shot to cause Terry to bleed. Then chairs were used and the ref got taken out before the finish. Judas continued to attack after the win, with the FILL kids making the save and making challenges.
5) Dragón Fly b Demonio Infernal [mask] Bombero Infernal attacked Dragon Fly on the way to the ring and helped Demonio thru the match. Aramis helped out Dragon Fly, who took falls 2/3 to win in a bloody match. Demonio Infernal is José Antonio Rojas, 3 years a wrestler.
It’s not stated if Infernal is (another) Bomber Infernal son or some other relation.
Elite’s show tonight has Volador Jr. vs La Mascara and Ultimo Guerrero vs Rey Escorpion in Liga Elite matches; the second one has been pretty good in the past. The semimain has the return of Caristico to these shows, teaming with Super Crazy & Valiente vs Cavernario, Mr. Niebla, and Negro Casas. The undercard has Bandido, Jinzo, Rocky Lobo versus the Medics, the Dinamita cousins vs Ciclon Ramriez Jr., Dinamic Black, Hijo del Pantera and a women’s tag between Lluvia & Marcela vs Keira & Lady Maravilla.
DTU also has a show tonight in Arena Aficion. The main event is a barbed wire cobweb match, with Sharlie Rocker versus Ciclope versus Ovett. Fujin, Raijin and Dragon Rojo are CMLL reps on this card, scheduled to take on Pesadilla, Rocky Lobo and Aeroboy.
Ronnie Mendoza, Lady Maravilla, and Rocky Lobo were announced for both the DTU and Elite shows. Mendoza is no longer on the DTU show (the tag match is now Drastick Boy vs XL vs Flamita); the other two still are on both at the moment. Keira is listed on both Elite and the Mucha Lucha show in Guadalajara; she’s probably working Arena Mexico.
You won’t be able to watch Friday night CMLL shows live for the next three weeks. CMLL announced this by saying they’re back on ClaroSports on August 26; they’re off starting tomorrow. It’s a ClaroSports issue, not a CMLL one – they’re covering the Olympics for the next three weeks. This means the shows on 5th, 12th and 19th won’t air on ClaroSports, though they’ll all still be taped as usual. The 19th is currently listed on NJPW World’s site as airing on their service; they appeared to be piggy backing on Claro’s feed, so I’m not sure if it’ll still occur.
This isn’t going to help the weak build to the Anniversary show. The shows still will eventually air on Azteca in the US, four weeks after they take place. It seems like it wouldn’t be hard for CMLL to still air the shows on YouTube, or even put them up later, but there’s no mention of that.
Cara Lucha (SAT) 08/20/2016Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México
1) Ángel Jr. & Príncipe Aéreo vs Centella Atomic & Tromba
2) Kilvan, Shadow, Yoruba vs Alas de Acero, Alas de Oro, Alas De Plata
3) Rayo Star vs Sky Man [Mucha Luchas SUPREMO]
4) Corsario Negro Jr., Drako, Toro Negro vs Andy Boy, Látigo, Danger King
5) Centvrión & Fly Warrior vs Dragón Lee & El Bandido
6) Flamita vs Xtreme Tiger
Flamita/Tiger took place last year and was pretty good, so it should be good here too. Bandido has been great in Elite of late and the semimain should be super. The rest of the card is not bad; someone’s leaping off an upper level in the third match.
The best possible Monday/Tuesday show of late is one where there’s a bunch of good/enjoyable matches even if nothing major happens and nothing is great. That was the second half of this show. The first half wasn’t great. Maximo/Escorpion wasn’t as epic as other Maximo matches, but better than a usual Tuesday main event..
(Recap is delayed by YouTube/GIF issues. Maybe up tonight.)
CMLL’s put up a teaser image for the 09/02 Anniversary show, featuring Caristico, Rush, La Mascara, Mistico, Pierroth, Shocker, Volador and Atlantis. They likely just grabbed eight images and make a poster with them, but it’s a bit concerning to see Pierroth is one of the images they went with. (Notable, Dragon Lee was not.) It is absolutely possible, maybe even likely, that the image means absolutely nothing. There is no Anniversary press conference today; we’ll probably get a hint about one happening soon if they announce Informa is on at a different day/time next week.
Lupus/Mascara probably will be better than Pagano/Psycho. It surely won’t be any worse. It’s exactly as predictable.
Semimain seems to set up a title change, which makes me wonder if Electro’s finishing up here or something – only few ever wrap up all their loose ends before leaving IWRG, they just disappear 3/4ths the way into a story, so he must be retaining.
Silver King makes his once a year appearance. Tercera could be setting up another title match. Dragon Fly being on this card and Demonio Infernal not may hint at who’s winning their mask match tonight.
CMLL (TUE) 08/09/2016Arena México
1) Acero & Astral vs Pequeño Universo 2000 & Pierrothito
2) La Vaquerita, Marcela, Sanely vs Amapola, Tiffany, Zeuxis
3) Blue Panther Jr., Stigma, The Panther vs Fujin, Okumura, Raijin
4) Fuego vs Puma [lightning]
5) Johnny Idol, Rey Cometa, Súper Porky vs Kráneo, Niebla Roja, Ripper
6) Máscara Dorada, Pierroth, Rush vs Shocker, Terrible, Vangellys
Rush! I remember him. This is the first Tuesday Arena Mexico show he’s worked since March 29th. That seems totally normal.
Fifth match could be hot depending on who replaces Super Porky. Fuego/Puma and the third match could be good as well.
CMLL (TUE) 08/09/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Metatrón & Vaquero Jr. vs Carlo Roggi & Joker
2) Flyer, Oro Jr., Robin vs Disturbio, Metálico, Sangre Azteca
3) Último Dragóncito vs Cosmos, Shockercito, Stukita, Fantasy, Pequeño Olímpico, Mercurio, Relámpago, Pequeño Violencia, Pequeño Nitro [MEX LIGHT, #1 Contenders]
4) Atlantis, Marco Corleone, Valiente vs Cavernario, Hechicero, Rey Bucanero
5) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, La Máscara, Luciferno
6) Carístico vs Mephisto
That main event was supposed to happen in Puebla, for Mephisto’s title, but Mephisto was too hurt to wrestle at that time. Caristico/Mephisto, with almost no build, would be a bigger draw as an apuesta match than Rush/La Mascara.
Electrico is the Mexican lightweight champion. He last defended the title on a February Elite show over Principe Diamante. Prior to that, the last time Electrico defended the lightweight title on a proper CMLL was in August 2014, two years ago.
What happened: Psycho/Pagano, Avenro/Chessman vs Faby/Mary and Pentagon/Mundo were all announced in Noti AAA. Averno & Chessman did a parody of Faby & Mary, who cost them their match via musical distraction. Pagano beat Psycho Clown yet again, though this time by countout. Big Mami debuted
What was good: Eh, nothing unless you like the Fronterizos stuff more than me. The other two matches weren’t much.
Where can I watch it: It’s on my channel and AAA, plus there are handhelds readily available since it was a Mexico City show.(more…)
Sure will be a long time before I have to do six recaps for a week. (Wait, what?) I can’t imagine anyone still needs me to tell them to watch Park/Rush at this point but I’m going to do it again anyway. I probably should be pushing people to do the same with Rey & Puma, because I’d bet less people have actually seen that match once you figure in Azteca in Mexico versus El Rey in the US. (And I really can’t believe they gave that away for free on YouTube; it says something about LU that they’d give away the two biggest matches from Ultima Lucha 2 for free on YouTube.)
Usual kind of blah show. Ares & Tiger didn’t come across as an issue, but they’re matched up again next week.
That ref spot was so bad, but the tecnicos didn’t react and the rudos were overdramatic, so now I’m scared they’re doing bad ref spots on purpose, thinking it’s some great thing.
Rey Escorpion challenges Maximo for the CMLL heavyweight championship tonight in Arena Mexico. The two are back together after feuding in past years, though they’ve never gotten to the big hair match they were teasing after Escorpion defeated Maximo’s father Brazo de Plata. Maximo’s been heavyweight champion since last January, and all his title matches have been very enjoyable. It should be no different with Escorpion as challenger. The previous time Escorpion challenged for a title was in Guadalajara and never turned up on video. These guys have met a lot in trios, but we haven’t seen a three fall singles match between them since April 2014. I’m always a little cautious about my hopes for a match on a Tuesday night show, but this one seem like a solid bet.
For what it’s worth, because it’s now that time of the year, CMLL is currently at 16 champions, the ‘magic’ number they need for a Universal tournament (and no one gets hurt.) Escorpion beating Maximo wouldn’t change that.
The rest of the show has the usual Tuesday mix of random trios matches. The foreigners appear in the semimain, with Johnny Idolo, Dragon Lee & Valiente versus Sam Adonis, Negro Casas and Barbaro Cavernario. Angel de Oro, Titan and Guerrero Maya Jr. team up against Dragon Rojo Jr., Polvora, and Luciferno; perhaps we’ll see Maya & Dragon react to being brought up as a possible Anniversario match. Triton, Soberano Jr. & Hombre Bala Jr. will face Virus, Skandalo and Disturbio in the third. Magnus, Leono and Oro Jr. take on the unappealing trio of Nitro, Canelo Casas and Metalico; that’s 20 minutes you may want to skip. The opener sounds slightly better, with Electrico & Acero taking on Pequeno Nitro & Pequeno Universo.
The show will air at 7:30pm on CMLL.com & YouTube as usual.
Caristico is expected back in action tonight in Guadalajara, teaming with Mistico and Volador against Ephesto, Euforia and Mephisto in a great sounding main event. It’s enough for me to try tracking down a feed again when it airs. They were definitely setting up a Mephisto/Caristico match here prior to Caristico’s injury and will likely go right back to it. Of note elsewhere on the card, Super Porky is against listed as wrestling – he hasn’t made a CMLL since July 5th, though he’s been advertised often.
AAA’s posted this week’s show on their channel, but I’ve been told the this version of the show is no longer available for Canadian viewers. I’m not sure if this has to to do with the the Fight Network deal (which hasn’t been airing new episodes for months), but that’s the only reason I can come up with. You’ll have to find a way around the block if you’re in Canada.
CMLL (MON) 08/08/2016Arena Puebla
1) Centella Roja, Millenium, París vs Akuma, Espíritu Maligno, Inquisidor
2) Arkalis, Pegasso, Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Espanto Jr., Policeman
3) Black Tiger, Titán, Tritón vs Ares, Bobby Z, Virus
4) Atlantis, Máscara Dorada, Mistico vs Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas
5) Marco Corleone & Último Guerrero vs Sharlie Rockstar & Shocker [Relevos Increíbles]
Only five matches this week after a while with longer shows. UG & Shocker matched up again, as are Ares & Tiger. Third & fourth match have some hope. Triton (& Dorada) are still around.
Chilanga Mask (SUN) 08/21/2016Coliseo Coacalco, Coacalco, Estado de México
1) Psycho Kid vs Novasonic, Hijo Del Ángel, Hijo del Alebrije, Kronoz, Terremoto Negro, Dragón Fly, Aramis
2) Dorado Jr. & Mr. Leo vs Chicano & Fulgor I and Fulgor II & Sangre Dorada JR.
3) Solar I vs Caifan Rockero III
4) Bobby Z & Sagrado vs Mr. Maldito & The Platino
5) Xtreme Tiger vs Jacon Kincaid vsLaredo Kid
6) Terrible vs Juventud Guerrera
7) Dave Crist & Jason Gory vs Aken & Impulso
8) Black Terry vs Wotan
9) Jeque vs Roberto Paz Jr.
Full lineup for ChilangaMask, which is running about every three months now (and will be running against Lucha Memes on this show.) Card order is not correct, but I don’t know what it is. Terrible vs Juvi was the last match added, with Guerrera talking about the match on YouTube.
MDA (SUN) 08/21/2016Arena Coliseo Monterrey
1) Erika Sotelo & Larry Miranda vs Dulce Kanela & La Chocolata
2) Chamaco Gurrola, Quinto Elemento, Última Sombra vs Extreme Boy, Gemelo Muerte, Tekilita
3) Ángel de Oro, Mr. Elektro, Sharly Rockstar vs Bestia 666, Hijo de LA Park, X-Fly
4) Ninja Jr. vs Epydemius, Obsesión, Galactar, Mini Hator, Delta, Lince, Tormento, Mini Difunto [cage, mask, hair]
5) Mistico II & Pierroth vs La Máscara & Silver King
6) Atlantis, Dos Caras Sr., LA Park vs Caifan, Canek, Rush
Second anniversary show for MDA. I kind of want to see Rush and Canek on opposite sides.
Fourth match is combining the minis feud and the Monterrey vs outsiders midcard feud, though all the DF guys who were part of it at the start are all not around.
X-Fly sighting in Mexico! And that’s also Elite/CMLL vs AAA, if Bestia counts as AAA.
PROESA was a repeat. Monterrey aired one new match and and one repeat. IWRG skipped over the Wednesday semimain due to baseball running long, and didn’t seem to air a repeat. Azteca aired the Gran Prix, so I’m putting up the iPPV this week. (more…)