IAP (SUN) 08/07/2016 Gimansio Hercules, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Kronosport]
1) Moto Cross b Rocker Boy, Alfa Andy Boy was moved up, andthis became a three way.
2) Fuerza Negra & Zoom Driver b Andy Boy & Danger King Andy Boy replaced Corsario
3) Tromba & Yoruba b Centella & Wasson Latigo & Centviron were moved up, so this became a normal 2v2 tag (and moved down a spot.) Wasson and Centella fought after their loss.
4) Centvrión b Fly Warrior, Látigo No Fly Star, so the Mala Hiebra three way match scheduled for a couple weeks ago took place here. Good match.
5) Imperio Negro b Terremoto, Drako, Abortex, Chuey Martinez other participants not confirmed
6) Wotan NC As Charro Canek Jr. & Hijo del Fishman ran in to attack both men.
This was the debut show for the promotion. Ending the show with no finish to the main event is a risky way to start, though the hope is the angle was crazy enough to get people to do the rematch. (Though, this being Mexico, it’s not certain they’ll ever book the rematch.) Fishman and Canek ended up getting dragged away by security, which makes me wonder why they didn’t just finish that match that point. As Charro was somehow triple booked on Sunday, so perhaps he was just done with wrestling at that point. They had a good turnout by Gimnasio Hercules standards, and the Mala Hiebra three way looks good.
The third biggest promotion in the DF area is running their own big show within days of the other two ones. Look at this stretch:
08/28 AAA TripleMania
09/02 CMLL Anniversaro
09/04 IWRG Lupus/Trauma I
09/08 Lucha Underground Season 3 debut
Oddly enough, IWRG’s match is the most uncertain of the three apuesta matches. There’s no way Psycho Clown is losing (nor would it make any sense.) There’s an extremely small chance Dragon Lee is losing, only because CMLL’s always so much higher on La Mascara than anyone else (but really, if they wanted a match to be a setup to La Mascara/Rush, they would’ve just done Pierroth/Mascara.) I don’t ever see Trauma I losing his mask in Arena Naucalpan, at least not in this decade, but Canis Lupus is an IWRG created/owned character and one of the few regular IWRG core guys you could justify getting that sort of win. (Still, it’s 80/20 Trauma.)
Today’s the first CMLL stream in 6 whole days. How did we manage in the before time? The usual Monday Puebla show is a middle chapter in a couple of new feuds. The main event is a strange relevos increible match, with (tecnico) Marco teaming with (rudo) Ultimo Guerrero against (rudo) Shocker and (I don’t even know) Sharlie Rockstar. The weird match is for the weird feud; they’re heading to another Ultimo Guerrero/Shocker match in the near future and this gets them on the opposite sides.
The other ongoing issue, maybe, is in the tercera where Black Tiger and Ares are on opposite sides of a conventional feud. The two Puebla locals only slightly feuded last week, but they’re unusually high in the card and are matched up again, so it must be going somewhere. Tecnico Black Tiger team with Titan & Triton while Ares has Bobby Z & Virus, and it might be the best match on the card.
The semimain also looks promising, with Mascara Dorada, Atlantis and Mistico taking on Cavernario, Felino and Negro Casas. The opening matches look the opposite of promising, with DF rudos who don’t usually produce entertaining matches. The second match has Arkalis & Tigre Rojo Jr. teaming with Pegasso against Espanto Jr., Arkangel de la Muerte, Policeman, while the opener is Centella Roja, Millenium, and Paris against Akuma, Inquisidor and Espiritu Maligno. There are some positive names sprinkled in those matches (Tigre Rojo Jr. is suddenly a regular again) but you might want to start watching about 40 minutes late.
As normal, the Puebla show will air on CMLL.com & YouTube, starting at 9pm CT.
In other upcoming TV news, Mascara Dorada’s second round Cruiserweight Classic match with Taijri will air this Wednesday. It’s been a week or so since the last “Mascara Dorada says he hasn’t signed with WWE, but would if offered” article, so here’s one though it does spoil the outcome of his next CWC match.
CMLL (SAT) 08/13/2016Arena Coliseo
1) Bengala & Leono vs Camorra & Cholo
2) Magnus, Oro Jr., Star Jr. vs Canelo Casas, Hijo del Signo, Nitro
3) Marcela, Princesa Sugehit, Skadi vs La Comandante, La Seductora, Reyna Isis
4) Fuego, Rey Cometa, Valiente vs Bobby Z, Hechicero, Olímpico
5) Carístico, Dragón Lee, Mistico vs Euforia, Mephisto, Último Guerrero
That’s a pretty loaded show for a Saturday. Caristico made a couple appearances in this building for Elite when Arena Mexico was closed down before Dos Leyendas. His last CMLL appearance in Arena Coliseo would’ve been in January 2011, when he faced the same Ultimo Guerrero in a singles match.
CMLL (SUN) 08/14/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Avispón Negro Jr. vs Guerrero de la Muerte
2) Fugaz & Micro vs Destructor & Diplomático
3) Cosmos, Explosivo, Frezzer vs Gran Kenut, Relámpago, Thunder Boy
4) León Blanco, Magnum, Neutrón vs Furia Roja, Maléfico, Ráfaga
5) Forastero, Kempo Dragón, Príncipe Kisho vs Flash II, Star Black, Vaquero Jr.
The Sinaloa guys are back.
CMLL (SUN) 08/14/2016Arena México
1) Metatrón & Sensei vs Apocalipsis & Artillero
2) Ciclón Ramírez, El Bandido, Flyer vs Cancerbero, El Coyote, Raziel
3) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Felino, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado
4) Atlantis, Stuka Jr., Súper Porky vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto
5) Marco Corleone, Valiente, Vangellys vs Pierroth, Rey Escorpión, Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
Bandido showed up on a CMLL show in June, so getting a second appearance puts him ahead of most of the guys who’ve debuted this year. I don’t know this Coyote (though there’s a Facebook profile here); there’s ones in Nuevo Leon and Chihuahua, though this is probably the guy working low level Mexico City area shows since 2013, and worked WMC and Cara Lucha shows more recently. The rookie situation is still very weird.
Arena Mexico/Coliseo appearance count
A lot: El Cuatrero, Fujin, Johnny Idol, Raijin, Sam Adonis, Sanson
3: Forastero (and a lot in Guadalajara), Golden Magic
1: Black Scorpio, Bugambilia, Dinamic Black, Bandido, Fiero*, Grako, Maquiavelo*, Mr. México Jr., Retro, Sanely
also turned up on the Arkangel show
Sanely’s obviously going to be in the “A lot” category soon and Ciclon and Bandido are slowly moving up. That still leaves 14 people who’ve appeared just once or twice; they appeared as many times on Informa as they have on CMLL shows.
This was a shorter week than expected. Next week will be even shorter. I thought about catching up on the watch later pile, then spent a lot of time away from this project. That was probably a good idea.
There’s no mention of a Vangellys/Rey Escorpion singles match, but one is surely coming. I don’t take Sugehit’s challenge too seriously, but there’s a lot of possible midcard apuesta matches if CMLL wants to do them (and most are more interesting than Rey Bucanero/Super Crazy.)
It didn’t occur to me until seeing this video with La Mascara talking about it, but Alvardo cousins are going to main event the major CMLL and AAA events within days of each other, both putting their masks on the line. Psycho Clown and La Mascara are cousins, and teamed with other a lot (with Maximo as the third) from 2001 to 2004 when they all were still wrestling as “Brazo de” Juniors. CMLL got behind of Maximo and La Mascara right away, while Kronos was left behind and never really went anywhere until he became Psycho Clown.
RudoVision interviewed Rush, which LigerFever translated. Rush wants his match with LA Park to be the Anniversary main event, which good luck on that. It is worth wondering if the Dragon Lee/La Mascara match was always supposed to be the Anniversary main event or if Rush/LA Park led to Rush being removed from the match.
ELITE (THU) 08/11/2016Arena México
1) Astral & Eléctrico vs Pequeño Olímpico & Pierrothito
2) El Bandido, Emperador Azteca, Último Ninja vs El Cuatrero, Fresero Jr., Sansón
3) Flamita & Golden Magic vs Argos & Rey Cometa
4) Atlantis vs Volador Jr. [Liga Elite]
5) Carístico, Máscara Dorada, Máximo vs Ephesto, Mephisto, Sharlie Rockstar
6) Último Guerrero vs Rush [Liga Elite]
Elite’s back to doing a lot of intra-CMLL matchups, and Rush should be on this shows near regularly to make up all the match he’s missed in the tournament so far. Both matches should be good, this is the first real singles match between Atlantis & Volador in 3 years, and Ultimo Guerrero’s starting to get to the point where he needs to win some of these.
Flamita was pulled from his last Elite appearance, not by choice of Flamita or Elite, so it’s worth watching to see if he’ll be on this show.
CMLL (FRI) 08/05/2016Arena México [+LuchaTV, CMLL, Kronosport]
1) Robin & Star Jr. b Akuma & Hijo del Signo
2) Fuego, Pegasso, Stigma b Arkángel de la Muerte, Okumura, Sangre Azteca good match
3) Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr., The Panther b Bobby Z, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado money thrown in
4) Stuka Jr. DCOR Gran Guerrero [lightning] both fought outside and ended up pulling each other’s masks.
5) Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible b Kráneo, Ripper, Súper Crazy Bucanero told Super Crazy to leave CMLL or face him in a hair match.
6) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Volador Jr. b Ephesto, La Máscara, Mephisto Dragon Lee finally won, in straight falls. Dragon Lee again challenged to a mask match, and La Mascara accepted this time.
CMLL’s still missing the contract signing and has taught us in the past that the match isn’t official until someone signs a contract, but La Mascara versus Dragon Lee seems about as certain as it could be otherwise. They both were certain about doing the match, and no one – outside the obvious midcard match of Crazy/Bucanero – has been saying the same. It looks like Mascara was DQed for pulling Dragon Lee’s mask in the first, then got away with it on Mistico in the second, only Dragon Lee surprised hi with a German suplex for the win. Mascara had his midsection taped.
This sounds like a good show with those 2/3rd matches and the set up angle for their biggest show of the year. CMLL probably could’ve put it up on YouTube. They did not.
There is less lucha TV this week. Last night’s Veracruz vs America soccer game was washed out and rescheduled for today, bumping Lucha Azteca off the air. They’ve announced they’ll have two episodes next week to make up for it. It’s unclear what will happen with the Sunday replay; it’s still listed on the schedule, though a half hour shorter than the main show normally is (so not everything would air anyway.)
AAA’s helping out by releasing more TV. The taping in Oaxaca will just take up one week of TV, with the three last matches (including the tag title match) airing this evening. The first two matches will not air, but AAA’s already posted the minis match and the mixed trios match.
Fantasma says combining the tecnico & rudo styles is the future of wrestling, so his team with Fenix will definitely be successful. The cruiserweight title shot does not come up. This would be an interesting follow up to their feud if it happened at last year’s TripleMania; they’ve been on pause for about 12 months.
Santo Jr. is listed as debuting in Mexico on 08/18 in Plaza de Toros Torreon. It’s odd place for him to debut, but the Santo family has connections to that area going back to the Espanto Jr. feud, and Santo Jr. surely needs some ring time in low pressure places before coming to Mexico City.
CMLL (FRI) 08/12/2016Arena México
1) Shockercito & Stukita vs Demus 3:16 & Mercurio
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Pegasso, Soberano Jr. vs Disturbio, Skándalo, Virus
3) Ángel de Oro, Guerrero Maya Jr., Titán vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
4) Súper Crazy vs Rey Bucanero [lightning]
5) Atlantis, Stuka Jr., Valiente vs Cavernario, Gran Guerrero, Mr. Niebla
6) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, La Máscara, Último Guerrero
Dragon Lee & La Mascara in the main event again, and probably for the rest of August. At this point, I wonder if Rush is on Tuesday (and not Friday) to avoid confusing the issue.
They’re actually doing Guerrero Maya versus Dragon Rojo on a Friday show, wow. My dream scenario is that’s an apuesta on a second September show, and I have dumb luck to be in Mexico for it. My dreams generally do not come thru. With Stuka & Gran Guerrero also randomly feuding, perhaps we shouldn’t yet rule out cage match for sometime in September.
This schedule confirms there’s no Universal tournament taking place in August. Starting on 08/19 would mean the final would have to be on 09/02, and they’ve already got two singles matches for that day. If they started the week after the Anniversary show, the final would be on the 23rd. They could also forget to do it at all.
DTU (THU) 08/04/2016Arena Aficion [+LuchaTV, DTU] 1) Erwin & Irving ?? El Porrito & Masizito 2) El Gio & Jr. b Charly Madrid & Moria Moria replaced Oscar Sevilla. 3) Gallego & Mr. Cóndor b Jimmy & Kevin Diabolicos debut in DTU. Both sides talked about a rematch. 4) Diva Salvaje, El Exótico, Yuriko b Ángel o Demonio, Corsario Negro Jr., Taylor Wolf Taylor Wolf replaced Black Fire (moved up) 5) Dragón Rojo Jr., Fujin, Raijin b Aero Boy, Black Fire, Pesadilla Black Fire replaced Rocky Lobo (Elite). Fujin & Raijin want a tag title shot and CMLL rudo walked off with the DTU mask matches. 6) Lokillo & Zeuxis b Daniel Alburquerque & Lady Maravilla Teams changed around, match moved late (so Maravilla could make it here from CMLL) and Daniel Alburquerque replaced Tony Iron. 7) Flamita b XL Originally a tag match with Flamita & XL against Drastick Boy & Ronnie Mendoza. Mendoza worked Elite, Drastick Boy MIA, so Flamita and XL had an excellent singles match instead. Money thrown in. 8) Cíclope b Sharlie Rockstar, Ovett Ciclope wants a shot at Sharlie’s DTU Consgrado championship (the top title in the promotion that’s not in Mexico.) Sharlie accepted.
Looked like a really good turn out for this show. Flamita/XL sounds like it was great. +LuchaTV should have highlights of the match, but not sure if that one will turn up complete.
ELITE (THU) 08/04/2016Arena México [+LuchaTV, Medio Tiempo, SuperLuchas]
1) Lluvia & Marcela b Keira & Lady Maravilla
2) El Cuatrero, Forastero (CMLL), Sansón b Ciclón Ramírez Jr., Dinamic Black, Hijo del Pantera
3) El Hijo del Medico Asesino, Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr., Karonte Jr. b El Bandido, Jinzo, Rocky Lobo
4) Rey Escorpión b Último Guerrero [Liga Elite] Escorpion picked up 3 points.
5) Carístico, Súper Crazy, Valiente b Cavernario, Euforia, Mr. Niebla Euforia replaced Negro Casas. Caristico was noticeably not 100%.
6) Volador Jr. DCOR La Máscara [Liga Elite] Neither man made it back in before 20. Fans were not happy and pelted the ring with garbage. Edgar was ref again. Mascara & Volador continue to fight for a few moments. Mascara hit Edgar, who ‘recovered’ and eventually dragged Mascara to the back.
Attendee looks better than usual, which might be due to Caristico’s return after four weeks or a Volador main event. The main event results sounds a lot like LA Park/Rush, and it’s unclear if this was some attempt at turning that match into their own storyline or another main event falling apart.
Caristico, after his match, said he’s not completely recovered from his injury and that’s why he’s wearing the belt. He’d like to be 100% by the time he gets to Japan. He kind of went back on his specificity of retiring in 2-3 years, saying more unspecifically he’s not retiring soon but it won’t be a long time away either.
This would also mean Rey Escorpion (Negro Casas’ replacement) has to face Rush & Diamante Azul (or maybe Cibernetico), even though he already ‘lost’ those matches. It’s probably more likely that people in charge aren’t really taking this seriously and neither should anyone else. The only thing I’ve gotten from this is Ultimo Guerrero sure has lost a lot, a lot more than he seems to in CMLL.
There are four Friday shows left before CMLL’s Anniversary show, and zero announced matches. Perhaps that’ll change tonight. CMLL’s main event has brothers Mistico & Dragon Lee teaming with Volador Jr. against La Mascara, Ephesto, and Mephisto. Dragon Lee versus La Mascara seems the slight favorite to main event on 09/02, but Dragon Lee has so far failed to beat La Mascara even in a single fall. He’ll need to do so to actually get the match.
Rey Bucanero has been nearly as unsuccessful against Super Crazy; they’ll meet again in the semifinal. Crazy teams with the Invasors (not the Elite team; there may be a rule about how weeks in a row ‘outsiders’ can be booked) Kraneo & Ripper against Bucanero’s usual partners Shocker & Terrible. The Bucanero/Crazy match is the match most certain to happen in September, though no one’s said that outloud during a wrestling show so far.
And, of course, if they did, we wouldn’t hear it. Today’s show will not be show on the ClaroSports.com website, as it’s pre-empted for the Olympics the next three weeks. It’s possible CMLL could stick it on their own YouTube channel, but they’ve given no indication they plan on doing so (and you should plan on it not being shown.) Matches from this show will eventually air on TV: 08/27 on Claro Sports TV in Mexico (the last TV show before the Anniversary show), 09/03 on Azteca in the US, and 09/08 on TFN in Canada.
The rest of the show is the usual assortment of random matches. Star Jr. & Robin take on Hijo del Signo & Akuma in the opener. Pegasso, Stigma and Fuego face Okumura, Sangre Azteca and Arkangel. The best of the first half of the card is Blue Panther, the Panther, Blue Panther Jr. versus Misterioso, Sagrado and Bobby in the tercera. Stuka and Gran Guerrero meet in the lightning match.
Marco Corleone replaces Valiente on Sunday’s show. Estrellita replaces Marcela on Tuesday in Arena Mexico.
The Chad Dukes show interviewed Killshot recently. Killshot mentions he came up with ideas for his own character’s backstory between seasons, pitched them to the writers, and much of it got adapted into reworked season 2 character. Killshot is a big part of season 3.
What happened: a Rey Escorpión (over Mascsara Dorada) & Teddy Hart (over Extreme Tiger in a cage) won Liga Elite matches, though “Teddy Hart” (in the form of Bobby Lashley) had already beaten Extreme Tiger.
The Liga Elite standings table at the end of the show either has a lots of errors, or they canceled out many matches.
What was good: Dorada/Escorpion is the match to watch.