I saw the last half of this show, you can see the whole show still on their website; there’s one camera person who wasn’t into moving much, so set your expectations lower than you might otherwise. The fourth match looked good and it sounded like the second match was good. Tiger/Flamita wasn’t much due to Tiger’s injury. Main event probably won’t hold up after the fact but definitely entertained the crowd. Teddy Hart and Jeff Hardy both acted strange, but when do they not? The building appeared to be sold out or close to it, better than the prior show, and Jeff & Rey were the two huge stars to this crew. (Nicho is also more over here than anywhere else.)
LLB (SAT) 11/26/2016Arena Lopez Mateos [Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), R de Rudo]
1) Bracito De Plata, Felinito, Lunatik Xtreme, Tritoncito b Agulita Solitaria, Macizito, Panterita, Súper Pinochito
2) Ojo De Halcón b Ram El Carnero, Dragón Bane
3) Freelance b Demente Extreme, Makabre, Eterno, Brian Villa, Mike Segura, Draego, Willy Banderas, Toxin Boy, Fresero Jr., Fly Star Fresero Jr. replaced Atomic Star.
4) Atm, Carta Brava Jr. (IWL), Fantasma de la Ópera b Arez, Belial, Impulso Cerebro Negro was supposed to be on Fantasma’s side, and a TBA with the Indys. Neither appeared so they did a trios match.
5) Ángel o Demonio & Ovett b Apolo Estrada Jr. & Halloween and Cíclope & Paranoiko Apolo Estrada Jr. replaced X-Fly. Paraoniko betrayed Ciclope.
6) LA Park b Masada (Texas)
I previewed a bunch of shows and forgot about this time. The main event looked suitably violent and so did many of the other matches.
CMLL (SAT) 11/26/2016Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Bengala & Leono b Apocalipsis & Inquisidor
2) La Jarochita, Princesa Sugehit, Skadi b La Comandante, La Seductora, Metálica tecnicas took 1/3
3) Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr., The Panther b Bobby Z, Forastero, Sansón Tecnicos took 2/3.
4) Dragón Rojo Jr., Hechicero, Pólvora b Blue Panther, Stuka Jr., Titán Rudos took 1/3.
5) Diamante Azul, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. b Gran Guerrero, Shocker, Terrible
A normal Saturday show. Maya & Panther teamed up, it never occurred to me that they might have set up an Arena Coliseo Tag Title defense – and they didn’t, so I guess I was OK not to notice.
CMLL (SUN) 11/27/2016Arena México
1) Robin & Sensei b Camorra & Cholo tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Hijo del Signo, Metálico, Nitro b Magia Blanca, Oro Jr., Stigma rudos took 1/3
3) Ángel de Oro, Drone, Guerrero Maya Jr. b Sangre Azteca, Skándalo, Virus Tecnicos took 2/3.
4) Dragón Rojo Jr., Kráneo, Pólvora b Carístico, Diamante Azul, Stuka Jr. Rudos took 1/3.
5) Ephesto, La Máscara, Mephisto DQ Marco Corleone, Valiente, Volador Jr. Rudos took 2/3, the last when Mascara faked a foul.
I’m alright with them setting up another La Mascara/Volador singles match as long as it’s on the show I don’t have to watch. (Though, as much as I don’t want to see them, Volador singles matches are the kind of things they should be putting on VOD.) Caristico losing in a meaningless second match is so weird.
DTU announced Kevin & Jimmy will face Gallego & Mr. Condor in a hair match on their 12/15 DTU iPPV. That’s one of the matches set up on the Arena Aficion show earlier this month, and now we know it’ll be a match where just one person loses their hair three people lose their hair!. The iPPV plug does mention the show will air live, which will be exciting and hopefully not fraught with problems. On a DTU show tonight, Ovett beat DTU Consgrado champion Sharlie Manson in a multiman match, and challenged for a title match on 12/15 as well. DTU has a show on the 2nd in Oaxaca, and I’m guessing the full lineup is revealed after that.
In Guadalajara, Rey Star lost his mask to Kal-El in a ruleta de la Muerte. Rey Star is Juan Carlos Torres, 16 years a wrestler.
KDR (SAT) 12/03/2016Arena Azteca Budokan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México
1) Astrolux vs Black Metal
2) Danger & Rocker vs Alfa & Samy Madrid
3) Arceus, Baby Star, Solaris vs Deirio, Lunatik Fly, Lunatik Xtreme
4) La Jarochita & La Magnifica vs Muñeca De Plata & Zeuxis
5) Ciclón Black, Príncipe Diamante, Veneno vs Criss Boy, Samoano, Toxin
6) Magia Blanca vs Flyer, Centvrión, Mr. Leo [#1 Contenders, ELITE WELTER]
Winner of the main event fourway faces Bandido at some point. That’d be fun, but the match itself should be fun even if nothing else happens. It does seem like Elite’s letting the champions do whatever they want with their belts in between the seasons, which isn’t seen rarely with the AAA & CMLL belts.
We’re kind of in a fuzzy area about what lineups and results I should include – this show might end up getting recorded and someday turning up on Powerbomb.TV. It also might not, or might not show up for a while. I’ve backed away from covering stuff on this part of the blog that’s not at least watchable or interesting, because there just doesn’t seem to any point to it, but now there’s plenty of stuff I can get your hopes up for maybe no reason.
CMLL (FRI) 11/25/2016Arena México [CMLL, ESTO]
1) Demus 3:16 & Mercurio b Aéreo & Eléctrico Rudos took 1/3. Aereo replaced Astral on Friday. Electrico was hurt on the Demus Driver.
2) Misterioso Jr., Ripper, Sagrado b Drone, Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr. Rudos took 1/3. Drone’s was pinned at the end – it technically didn’t count, but visually it was as if he did.
3) Amapola, Dalys, Zeuxis b Lluvia, Princesa Sugehit, Sanely Rudas took 1/3.
4) La Máscara b Hechicero [lightning] Double knee smash in 8:15.
5) Dragón Lee & El Cuatrero b Puma, The Panther [seeding battle royal]
6) Negro Casas, Puma, Tiger b Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr., The Panther [semifinal]
7) El Cuatrero, Máscara Año 2000, Sansón b Dragón Lee, Mistico, Pierroth [semifinal]
8) Negro Casas, Puma, Tiger b El Cuatrero, Máscara Año 2000, Sansón [final] Dinastia Casas will get a national trios title shot next week.
9) Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero b Carístico, Valiente, Volador Jr. Rudos took 1/3. UG snuck in a foul on Caristico after the two feuded. Caristico and UG set up a rematch for next week.
I haven’t seen this show. The announcers pushed the idea the winning family trio would get a trios title next week, which seemed to be a tell that a Dragon Lee led team couldn’t win. (He’s in ROH next Friday.) However, they’re not getting the shot next week anyway. I dunno.
Technically, Drone wasn’t beat in the second, but they didn’t get Mistico over by having him get visually beaten in segunda matches. Mistico just beat those people with his fancy move, and Drone barely has a fancy move. I’m not sure if CMLL gave up already or I just gave them too much credit to begin with, but less seems to be happening than I’d think.
It’s a busy weekend with mid major promotions. Tonight in Tijuana, the Crash is back with a dream tecnico trio of Jeff Hardy, Rey Fenix, Rey Misterio Jr. versus Jeff Cobb, Nicho and Teddy Hart. Rey Fenix says he’s wrestling (which seems like a last minute call.) There’s two singles matches: Xtreme Tiger vs Flamita for one random title, and Keira versus Sexy Dulce/Dulce Garcia/Sexy Star for another. That’ll be Sexy Star’s first post-AAA match in Mexico. Full card is here. They’ve streamed past events on their website and, sure enough, you can find a livestream link to tonight’s show there if you dig enough. It’ll start at 9pm CT. I’d like to record this but I’m doubtful I’ll be able to.
Sunday has Lucha Memes taking over Arena Naucalpan for CHAIRO 6. Of all the matches on the show, I think I’d more like to see Laredo Kid versus Rey Cometa in falls count anywhere. There’s a lot of stuff for everyone: Cavernario versus Negro Navarro in a lucha classic match, a Dragon Lee vs Soberano vs Star Jr. three way match between CMLL’s young high flyers, Hechicero and Caifan resuming their rivalry, and a four team 12 man tag with some of the best indie flyers and CMLL minis. There’s even a lucha battle royal I like on this show, a seemingly impossible thing, because it’s royal rumble rules and not for seeding. It’s indie Mexico, the countdown could go off and literally anyone could walk out.
Monterrey promoter MDA also has a big show on Sunday, with former CMLL wrestler Delta facing Galactar in a mask match and the usual assemblage of random names underneath. Normally, I’d be more sure of this airing than the Lucha Memes show, but Noches de Coliseo didn’t air this past week and isn’t currently scheduled for next week. (It was recently renamed Llaves y Canados, the name of the other notable local promoter – perhaps they got exclusivity over the time slot? I dunno. Wait and see.)
AAA, Panini and Record held an event where the 10 fans with completed AAA Panini album got custom pained AAA figures, and everyone got to meet AAA luchadors. AAA and Roshfrans has been teasing something for a few weeks with luchadors posing in front of green screens, and I’ve assumed that’ll be a second edition of these albums, which seem to have been successful.
CMLL (FRI) 12/02/2016Arena México
1) Oro Jr. & Príncipe Diamante vs Cancerbero & Raziel
2) Blue Panther Jr., Drone, The Panther vs Disturbio, Okumura, Virus
3) Estrellita, Marcela, Sanely vs Metálica, Tiffany, Zeuxis
4) Ángel de Oro vs Negro Casas [lightning]
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. vs El Cuatrero, Máscara Año 2000, Sansón
6) Atlantis, Carístico, Valiente vs Euforia, Hechicero, Último Guerrero
No sign of Puma & Tiger. Maybe they’re busy somewhere else? Hechicero making his Friday main event debut is at least interesting.
Dinamitas lost the tournament, are still back to wrestle the semimain (mostly because of Mascara 2000, but anything that moves them up is nice.)
Negro Casas & Angel de Oro had a series of good matches in 2012, where Casas won every time and they were clearly setting up Oro finally winning, but then they just dropped the whole thing. Both guys are essentially in the same place four years later, so maybe Oro will finally win.
It wouldn’t be so frustrating that the women were in the tercera if the second match guys were allowed to do dives.
Principe Diamante gets onto the main roster after winning Mr. CMLL. Astral’s really going to be sad he couldn’t do the same.
What happened: Carístico won the Liga Elite tournament when Rey Escorpión decided to listen to Cibernetico’s music instead of covering Carístico. Bandido won the new welterweight title with a partially botched spot. Willie Mack got flown all the way out to Mexico City for a forgettable match.
What was good: Nothing. Nothing was good. All the matches were disappointing and most were badly booked. This is somewhat historically important – either it’s the first season finale or it’s the last episode – but there’s no reason to watch the show otherwise.
Where can I watch it: It’s on the Liga Elite channel.
This is the last Season 1 Elite show (with the idea that they’ll be back for a season 2 at some unclear point.) They’ve skipped a week of tapings to show the last episode they’ve taped. There’s no highlight package of an undercard match and it’s a slightly shorter episode than usual as a result. The second season idea does come up in a Rey Escorpión promo but isn’t particularly pushed in the show beyond the concept of this being the Liga Elite final. There’s no hint of when they’ll be back.(more…)
CMLL (TUE) 11/22/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [CMLL]
1) Metatrón & Smaker b Exterminador & Maléfico tecnicos took 1/3
2) Flyer, Magnus, Vaquero Jr. b Akuma, Artillero, Mr. Apolo Mr. Apolo replaced Joker. Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Pegasso, Stigma, The Panther b Cancerbero, Disturbio, Raziel Tecnicos took 1/3
4) Blue Panther, Johnny Idol, Valiente b Bobby Z, Sam Adonis, Vangellys Tecnicos took 1/3 (fourth straight)
5) Carístico, Diamante Azul, Mistico DQ Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas Diamante Azul replaced Atlantis. Rudos took 2/3, Casas fouled Caristico.
Caristico, who did an interview saying he’d like a feud with just about anyone in CMLL, at least has one with Casas in Guadalajara. Caristico is also in the CMLL main event tonight, teaming with Valiente and Volador Jr. versus Ultimo Guerrero, Euforia, and Niebla Roja. Caristico brought up the idea of feuding with pretty much everyone on both teams, maybe he’ll get his wish and something will happen.
The interesting match is the Torneo de Dinasitas, with the Casas (Negro Casas, Puma, Tiger), Panther (Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr., the Panther), Dinamtias (Mascara 2000, Sanson, Cuatrero) and Munoz (Pierroth, Dragon Lee and Mistico.) Dragon Lee & Mistico are normally in spotlight matches, but it’s a rare chance for the younger wrestlers on the other teams, and maybe they’ll be able to make an impression in limited time.
The lightning match is an odd rudo/rudo battle with Hechicero & La Mascara. A women’s trio has Princesa Sugehit, Sanely, Lluvia versus Zeuxis, Dallys, Amapola. Guerrero Maya, Fuego, Drone take on Ripper, Sagrado and Misterioso in the second. CMLL’s opener is supposed to be Demus 3:16 & Mercurio vs Electrico & Astral, though it sounds like Astral will be replaced by Aereo.
The show starts at 8:30 on Clarosports & NJPW World. It’s go well past 11:30 if they gave every match the normal amount of time; that won’t work, so expect some of these matches to go much shorter than usual.
CMLL’s bodybuilding contest was held on Wednesday. Principe Diamante won the overall Mr. CMLL title. Principe Diamante was in CMLL’s minis division for a few matches, but has actually appeared more on Elite’s shows than anywhere else this year. He hasn’t been seen wrestling anywhere since July, but maybe he’ll be back in CMLL.
The official group standings:
Trainees: Killer Rock (1st), Angel del Amor, Principe Lemus
Beginner: Sanson, Forastero, Robin
Intermediate: Principe Diamante, Dragon Rojo, Titan
Women: Dalys, Sanely, Jarochita
Advanced: Valiente, Cuatrero, Blue Panther Jr.
Special Recognition: Zacarias el Perico
A new masked woman, Anubis, debuted in the women’s competition. Sangre Imperial, Coyote and CMLL photographer Alexis Salazar were among those in the training exhibition before the bodybuilding. I couldn’t find a single match Killer Rock has been in.
IWRG will have a 54th anniversary of lucha libre in Mexico State (as promoted by the Moreno family) show on 12/04. IWRG usually has a few anniversary shows in December and January.
On Wednesday, Mexican legislator Carlos Sarabia of the PRI party held a press conference to push for social security and health benefits for luchadors. This push seems to come up every few months but hasn’t seemed to make any progress. During the press conference, it was mentioned Babe Richard (who usually referees the semimain match on Fridays in CMLL) has surgery on Tuesday and Brazo de Plata (who’s had a leg injury that’s kept him out of CMLL rings) is also in the hospital.
ELITE LLyP (FRI) 12/16/2016Centro Civico Nueva Aragon, Ecatepec, Estado de México
1) Ciclón Infernal, Ironía, Príncipe Mexica vs Dragosth, Guerrero Aéreo, Ranferi
2) Ciclón Ramírez Jr. & Mr. Leo vs Fresero Jr. & Samoano
3) Rossy Moreno vs Muñeca De Plata, Lady Maravilla, Diosa Quetzal [Copa Radikal Radio]
4) El Bandido & Metaleón vs Argos & Dr. Karonte Jr. [Ladder, Copa LLyP]
5) Rey Escorpión vs Carístico, Cibernético [ELITE MIDDLE]
This show is listed as an Elite show, but I believe it’s a Lucha Libre y Passion show and they’re just using the Elite logo. The main event is listed as for Caristico’s Elite Light Heavyweight championship, but the title he won is a middleweight one. At least they’re getting work, though it could be another long Friday for Caistico.
Rob and I return to talk about Elite, CMLL, AAA and Lucha Underground. We did this last night, I spend a few hours trying to get the audio to not suck, and now I don’t even recall exactly what talked about now. A lot of frustration with the current state of stuff, but we tried to point out stuff we liked too.
The audio, though – I think recorder program grabbed my laptop mic instead of the nice one, and I really regret not stopping to see how it was going early on. It’s not good but I think it’s still listenable. I’ll try something else next time.
The chart is getting smaller. Elite is gone, at least in Mexico. (Azteca Siete is airing a LigaMX semifinal instead, so it’s possible Elite didn’t know for sure last week was their final week until some teams advanced; the TV rights for Mexican soccer teams are different based on the TV.) The USA Elite show has a Carisitco/Mascara Dorada match which was good.
Lucha Underground Pentagon versus the Black Lotus Triad; having seen a gauntlet match in wrestling before, I think he’ll face all three of Kairi Hojo, Mayu Iwatani and Io Shirai. The preview doesn’t give any more matches away. We’re over due for match four in Cage/Texano.