CMLL (TUE) 04/26/2016 Arena México [thecubsfan]
1) Mercurio & Pequeño Nitro b Aéreo & Stukita
18:03. Rudos took 1/3.
2) Akuma & Espíritu Negro COR Leono & Sensei
13:46. Added on Saturday, with Leono & Sensei being bumped down from the previous match. Rudos took 1/3, including an odd finish where Leono was counted out after his own dive.
3) Arkángel de la Muerte, Nitro, Sangre Azteca b Magnus, Oro Jr., Stigma
17:52. Magnus, Stigma and Oro Jr. replaced Leono, Sensei and Starman on Saturday. Rudos took 2/3.
4) Zeuxis b Lluvia, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit, La Vaquerita, Skadi, Dalys, Reyna Isis, La Seductora, La Comandante [cibernetico]
28:35. Arena Mexico 60th Anniversary cibernetico. Lluvia replaced Silueta (still in Japan.) Eliminations went Isis (by Lluvia), Vaquerita (Comandante), Seductora (Sugehit), Lluvia (Dalys), Comandante (Skadi), Skadi (Zeuxis), Sugehit (Dalys), Dalys (Marcela), Zeuxis (Marcela) leaving Zeuxis as the winner.
5) Ephesto, Luciferno, Sagrado b Guerrero Maya Jr., Stuka Jr., Tritón
10:38. Rudos took 2/3. Triton replaced Dragon Lee on Monday.
6) Mephisto b Máscara Dorada
12:08. Mephisto casually pulled off Dorada’s mask in the first fall, then won the second with a powerbomb. Dorada made a big comeback in the third fall but was put down via Devil’s Wings in the third. Mephisto asked for (another) title match next week and Dorada accepted.
I didn’t realize it was an al rudo night until putting together the results. It was a very long show – shows don’t feel long when the matches are good, and the matches in the undercard weren’t very good. I didn’t understand why they added a sixth match to this show and it was less clear when the main event didn’t start until about 2 hours and 15 minutes into the show. Main event was good, and parts of the ciberentico were good.
Lucha Underground tonight is episode 14 of the season, “Cage in a Cage”. The two matches advertised for the show are
- Cage versus Mundo in a cage for an Aztec Medallion
- Ivelisse & Angelico & Son of Havoc (c) versus Cortez Castro & Mr. Cisco & Joey Ryan versus Rey Mysterio & Prince Puma & Dragon Azteca Jr. versus Fenix & Jack Evans & PJ Black for the Lucha Underground Trios championship
As best I can tell, those are the only two matches which will air on tonight’s show. Expect them both to go long, and maybe some rare commercial breaks during matches (especially during those eliminations.)
Eric has a preview of tonight’ show.
We’re all kind of waiting for info on May’s Lucha Underground tapings, which wrap up Season 3. The tapings were reported to be on May 7th & 8th and May 14th and 15th. Those last two dates have been mentioned in some of the ticket contest giveaways they’re doing as well, though LU still hasn’t announced them. I’ve actually been hoping to get tickets to the latter ones for a while – I think I can get to LA that weekend, and thought those shows are probably Ultima Lucha 3 – so I’ve been more focused on the tickets than usual. The tickets are usually offered by a couple weeks before the show and it’s a little strange they’re being held back. This is yet another ‘maybe it’s nothing’ thing, but I was reminded yesterday there’s also a date conflict: May 14th is also the AAA taping in Orizaba, which has been pushed on TV for months and the poster includes people who would be expected to be in Los Angeles at the same time. Maybe either LU or AAA has to move, or some fancy planning has to be done to get people in the right place on the right day and that’s the hold up.
Pentagon Jr. & Fenix are also listed as wrestling on May 13th in Texas; LU often has guys come in a day ahead of time for their tapings so that’s unusual.
Speaking of date conflicts, CaraLucha announced their 2nd year anniversary show will take place on May 21st. Mascara Dorada is the first luchador announced for the show. The full card will be announced next week.
That announcement has the unintentionally effect of confirming Mascara Dorada will not be participating in NJPW’s Best of Super Juniors tournament, because it also starts on May 21. Dorada had said for quite a while that he had not heard from NJPW when/if he’d be returning, but I kept assuming he was either not telling the whole story or NJPW would just be getting to him before the tournament. Guess not. In his regular podcast, KUSHIDA also confirmed Kamaitachi would not be part of the tournament this year. (Kamaitachi’s busy in ROH instead.) Dragon Lee does appear to be going – he said many months ago that he had big news he couldn’t talk about – but it’s unclear if CMLL will continue to have two representatives (Cavernario?) or just the one spot this year. The tournament will probably be announced on NJPW’s 05/03 show.
Today’s two Liga Elite matches are Lashley (1-0) versus Ultimo Guerrero (0-1) and Volador Jr. (0-1) versus Mascara Dorada (2-0). Guessing Lashely strong as the outsider, and Volador stops Dorada’s win streak. The semimain is the Parks (Hijo, Super, LA) versus Ingobernables (La Mascara, Pierroth, Rush), in a match which will make me regret watching this show ‘live’ late Friday night. Black Warrior & Blue Panther versus Solar I & Hechicero sounds like a good match which will be condensed to about 20 seconds on TV.
Video of the famous Brazos versus Villanos triple mask match has turned up on YouTube. The video degrades to more of a slideshow at times, but it’s the first time the entire match has made it online as far as I know.
LuchaWorld has the latest edition of their podcast.
RobViper has a music video of 09/20/15 AAA.
I’m thinking of going to this lucha show in Milwaukee Saturday. It’s a 100 minute drive, but Bestia 666 versus Rey Horuz sounds great. This is also the first lucha show I have in the database from Wisconsin, which means I’m missing a few.
The Atlantic has a video feature on La Luchadora, the documentary on Luna Magica.
Faby Apache is happy to team with her sister again.
IWRG (WED) 04/27/2016 Arena Naucalpan
1) Aramis, Fireman, Kanon vs Adrenalina, Galaxy, Keshin Black
2) Felinito & Piratita Morgan vs Aguilita Solitaria & Bracito de Oro
3) Imposible © vs Freelance [IWRG IC Light]
Imposible 12th defense
4) Hijo del Alebrije, Pantera I, Suicida vs Cerebro Negro, Trauma I, Trauma II
5) Máscara Año 2000 Jr. © vs Canis Lupus [IWRG IC HEAVY]
The lineup got up about 24 hours before the show. Oh well.
As usual, it’s children going to wrestling show season, so minis are back in IWRG.
Really hoping Impossible/Freelance turns up.
CMLL (MON) 05/02/2016 Arena Puebla
1) Black Tiger & Meyer vs Ares & Guerrero Espacial
2) Oro Jr., Pegasso, Soberano Jr. vs Espíritu Maligno, Rey Apocalipsis, Toro Bill Jr.
3) Estrellita vs Dalys [lightning]
4) Ángel de Oro, Stigma, Stuka Jr. vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto
5) Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas vs Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys
6) Carístico vs La Máscara
They had this match once at the end of the Domingo Elite shows, with Caristico winning. Caristico’s been pretty good, and it’s a test of how well Mascara can do as a rudo. Semimain is the rematch of the rudo/rudo trios last week. Second match might be good.
CMLL (TUE) 05/03/2016 Arena México
1) Acero & Aéreo vs Pequeño Nitro & Pequeño Universo 2000
2) Magnus, Robin, Sensei vs Akuma, Canelo Casas, Metálico
3) Soberano Jr., Star Jr., Stigma vs Raziel, Sangre Azteca, Virus
4) Marcela, Princesa Sugehit, Skadi vs La Seductora, Tiffany, Zeuxis
5) Stuka Jr., Súper Porky, The Panther vs Bobby Z, Ephesto, Luciferno
6) Máscara Dorada © vs Mephisto [CMLL WELTER]
Dorada fourth defense
It’s a little strange they’re repeating this title match so quickly. Dorada always wins the title match over Mephisto, but maybe this time it’ll be different.
The women’s match in the fourth spot is higher than usual, but it’s more a case of having a bonus opener again.
CMLL (TUE) 05/03/2016 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Mágico & Magnum vs Joker & Sádico
2) Astral, Eléctrico, Stukita vs Mercurio, Pequeño Olímpico, Pierrothito
3) Esfinge, Fuego, Tritón vs Misterioso Jr., Pierroth, Sagrado
4) Blue Panther, Rey Cometa, Valiente vs Cavernario, Dragón Rojo Jr., Rey Escorpión
5) La Máscara, Rush, Volador Jr. vs Shocker, Terrible, Vangellys
This is the second time Shocker’s been advertised here, and he’ll actually be able to at some point. Elite’s heavily pushed Rush versus Shocker, which is odd since that happened already and it didn’t go well for Shocker, but who knows. Cometa and Cavernario run into each other in the semifinal.