Black Terry Jr. has the highlights of the important match: Turtles vs Turtles. There are not many pictures of Mutant Turtles, but they look a little low rent. I do not like their odds.
IWRG (SUN) 02/22/2015Arena Naucalpan [Estrellas del Ring, The Gladiatores]
1) Atomic Star, Dowki, Hip Hop Man b Alfa, Galaxy, Omega
2) Electro Boy, Hijo del Alebrije, Kamilión b Black Fury, Dragón Celestial, Miss Gaviota Hijo del Alebrije (debut) replaced La Sadica.
3) Emperador Azteca, Golden Magic, Relámpago b Apolo Estrada Jr., Cerebro Negro, Imposible
4) Metaleón, Negro Navarro, Veneno b Canis Lupus, Eterno, Hijo de Pirata Morgan straight falls. Eterno and Navarro had a 10 minute hold vs hold exchange to start the match. Veneno tricked Pirata into splashed the refs for the first fall DQ. Veneno won clean in the second fall and asked for a title shot against Pirata. Pirata accepted.
5) Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Pirata Morgan, Universo 2000 Jr. b Chicano, Danny Casas, Máscara Sagrada Mascara snuck in a foul on Dany Casas.
Hijo de Pirata Morgan looks to be working AAA a lot in the future, so Veneno might pick up a title win here. (Then again, we could’ve said the same about Eterno last year and he’s back here, so such measures may not be necessary.)
That reminds me: the three most hyped stories on recent AAA TV have been the Rey de Reyes tournament, the dangerous alliance of the Hell Brothers and La Sociedad, and the new trio of Hijo del Pirata, Electroshock, and Man With No Name (Kronuz.) There’s about 3 weeks of TV left until Rey de Reyes, and it’s still unclear how the last two are going to actually resolve in matches – there are matches they can come up with, but they haven’t indicated an direction on TV yet.
In a recap that probably hasn’t been posted yet, I said the Leyendas Inmortales Heavy Metal/Mascara Ano 2000 feud was the same as the Heavy Metal/Electroshock feud except they weren’t using guitars (and not as good.) They started using guitars this weekend.
Zavala & Olimpico retaining the tag team championship would be shocking. There’s an obvious shift on Friday shows to the locals (again, only two CMLL DF guys sent) and plenty of tag teams wandering around to challenge if there were just champions here most often.
Those CMLL DF spots are instead going to old Guadalajara veterans. Pepe Aguayo (cousin of Perro Jr.) was a CMLL DF regular during the mid 90s and in this building during the late 90s/early 2000s, so they’re pulling in guys who’ve been working the Jalisco indies for the last 14 years. If Makabre just wants about 5-10 more years, he’ll get to come back too. Pepe appears to be double booked that day: he’s listed on a show in Puerto Vallerta with Blue Demon Jr.
There was a Forastero in IWRG in the mid-2000s (he was Avisman II before they broke up); that’s the name the database is latching onto, but it’s likely a different guy. I can’t find anyone in Jalisco using that name regularly, but people in other places.
Finally! This match was unofficially scheduled for 01/24, but Misterioso went to Los Angeles for wrestling shows instead. (I can identify!) Hopefully Maya & Delta will win, because I can not imagine a world where Comando Boricua are winners.
Semimain is about 1.5 wrestlers from being really interesting.
IWRG (SUN) 03/01/2015Arena Naucalpan
1) Mini Cobra & Mini Multifacetico vs Demon Rock & Espectrito
2) Black Fury, Dragón Celestial, Miss Gaviota vs Electro Boy, Hijo del Alebrije, Kamilión
3) Liderk, Rayan, Spector vs Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro, Veneno
4) Chicano, Relámpago, Súper Nova vs Canis Lupus, Eterno, Tony Rivera
5) Golden Magic vs Universo 2000 Jr., Danny Casas, Hijo De Dos Caras, Pirata Morgan Jr., Apolo Estrada Jr., El Hijo del Diablo, Hijo de Máscara Año 2000 [La Rebelión de Los Juniors]
Super Nova won this match of second generation wrestlers (or wrestlers pretending to be second generation) last year, then went onto win the IWRG Juniors title. The winner of this year’s match faces Nova on 03/15.
Second match is a rematch. Demon Rock is from Puebla, same as the other IWRG minis.
Why does CMLL have two Light Heavyweight championships again? (They actually have three.) Angel de Oro’s title seems to be the lesser important one for sure, with defenses against Okumura and Gran Guerrero. Disturbio should be in line next, we’d get it on video that way.
The previous NWA Light Heavyweight Champion was Diamante Azul, who hasn’t been seen since November. He was believed to go to France to visit his wife. The story I heard is his wife isn’t planning on moving to Mexico. That’s got to be a tough relationship, and I wonder if Azul just decided to stay in France. It’s unclear what exactly is going on here and, as we saw with Mistico, vacating a title does not mean you won’t be gone (just as winning a title doesn’t meant you’re staying.) Maybe we’ll learn more by the time CMLL Informa airs, so we’ll table the full Azul obit for another time, but he’s not really been missed the last three months and wouldn’t be missed if he was gone for good.
The finalists are likely to be two of Atlantis, Ultimo Guerrero and La Sombra, though Rey Bucanero might have a chance given his current role. Maybe you can even extend to Valiente & Panther. Sombra is the current NWA middleweight champion and him having both titles is probably an issue when it comes to Universal tournament, but that’s still more than half a year away. Atlantis previous held this title four about 4 years, Ultimo Guerrero has never won it.
This card was so low on star power, even the usual Guadalajara locals weren’t on it. I dunno.
CMLL (SAT) 02/21/2015Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Pequeño Olímpico b Angelito
2) Disturbio b Magnus
3) Nitro b Sensei
4) Okumura b Hombre Bala Jr.
5) Sangre Azteca b Starman
6) Misterioso Jr. & Sagrado b Delta & Guerrero Maya Jr. Boricuas asked for a title shot again, and this time the tag champions agreed.
7) Ángel de Oro, Dragón Rojo Jr., Máximo b Kráneo, Olímpico, Vangellys
Main event was the three heaviest CMLL champions – heavyweight, light heavyweight, and middleweight – as a winning trio, the only tecnicos to win on the night.
Of the top three matches, two end with unknown tall people getting involved and the other ends with no finish.
CMLL (SUN) 02/22/2015Arena México [CMLL]
1) Bengala & Molotov b Camorra & Inquisidor
2) Canelo Casas, Hijo del Signo, Sangre Azteca b Flyer, Pegasso, Star Jr.
3) Dark Angel, Estrellita, Goya Kong b La Comandante, La Seductora, Zeuxis Zeuxis hurt her ankle (on her moonsault to the floor). It was later determined to be fractured – she’ll have surgery immediately.
4) Pólvora b Stuka Jr. [lightning] Polvora Driver for the win in under five minutes.
5) Felino, Gran Guerrero, Negro Casas b Ángel de Oro, Dragón Rojo Jr., La Sombra Angel de Oro became a new dad earlier in the day. He lost here to Gran Guerrero, who challenged him to a title match. Angel de Oro accepted.
6) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. b Ephesto, Euforia, Mephisto Ephesto replaced Ultimo Guerrero on Monday. Misitco return to action after being missing on Friday. Volador beat Mephisto for the win.
Alexis mentioned on Twitter that Zeuxis’ injury did not look severe until they took her for x-rays. Zeuxis, who works as a paramedic and is training to become a physical therapist in her other life, probably has a better idea of how long it’ll take to come back from this than most: she says he’ll be out of action four months. No idea what will happen with her title; they’ve been consistently inconsistently with those. This might cause bigger chances in the women’s division – Zeuxis was being pushed because they needed another ruda and she was the best who wasn’t being used, and now they need someone else.
CMLL’s Homenaje a Dos Leyendas will air in Cinepolis movie theatres. There were ads on display for this show on Friday night’s show and there’s a graphic out, but no more details yet.
Vamper (SAT) 03/14/2015Gimnasio Olímpico Juan de la Barrera, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal
1) Goya Kong, Paloma Rouse, Yuca La Potranquita vs Casandra, Star Fire, Zeuxis
2) Eterno & Hijo de LA Park vs Hijo de Mascara Sagrada & Súper Nova
3) Brazo de Oro, Brazo de Plata, Brazo de Platino vs Espectro Jr., Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Satánico
4) Heavy Metal, Máscara Sagrada, Rayman vs Gran Alebrije, Histeria II, Psicosis II
5) Negro Casas vs Fuerza Guerrera
6) Dr. Wagner Jr. & Rayo de Jalisco Jr. vs Canek & LA Park
I dismissed Fuerza’s idea of a rematch with Negro Casas in Juan de la Barrera as wishful thinking, but now it looks like he knew this show was happening when he said it. Listed as being taped on TV, which is not actually the same as airing on TV. That’s a typical 80s/90s top 4 matches – Rayman’s too young to be in that crew.
CMLL (FRI) 02/20/2015Arena México [CMLL]
1) Cancerbero & Raziel b Oro Jr. & Soberano Jr.
2) Ángel de Oro, Fuego, Tritón b Ephesto, Hechicero, Okumura
3) Euforia & Negro Casas b Mephisto and Ripper and Kamaitachi and Rey Bucanero and Bárbaro Cavernario and Misterioso Jr. [natl pi, seeding battle royal]
4) La Máscara & Mephisto b Dragon Lee & Kamaitachi [natl pi, 8f] Dragon Lee & Kamaitachi could not work together and lost.
5) Guerrero Maya Jr. & Ripper b Delta & Misterioso Jr. [natl pi, 8f] Ripper’s first match here in six months (said to be on a tour of the US.) He was supposed to team with Mistico, but Guerrero Maya Jr. replaced him with no explaination.
6) Rey Bucanero & Volador Jr. b Bárbaro Cavernario & Titán [natl pi, 8f] Bucanero & Volador did not get along at all but still won.
7) La Sombra & Negro Casas b Euforia & Valiente [natl pi, 8f]
8) La Máscara & Mephisto b Guerrero Maya Jr. & Ripper [natl pi, quarterfinal]
9) Rey Bucanero & Volador Jr. vs La Sombra & Negro Casas [natl pi, quarterfinal]
10) Rey Bucanero & Volador Jr. b La Máscara & Mephisto [natl pi, semifinal] Bucanero & Volador won despite Bucanero giving Volador a piledriver near the end of the match.
11) Atlantis, Marco Corleone, Máximo DQ Terrible, Thunder, Último Guerrero Terrible fouled Maximo.
The Volador/Bucanero stuff is eye rolling, but the Mistico disappearing act is the actual news. Not a word about him or what happened. He’s listed on next week’s card, but that may be wishful thinking if he out via injury (which seems to be the most likely reason.)
Remember when Blue Demon Jr. missed last year’s Rey de Reyes, and it was explained in the Observer that Demon had to stay in the US for six months to establish residency. (And then Demon came back much sooner than six months and the story never made a lot of sense, but that’s not my point.) Ripper has been gone for six months, and said to be in the US during that time. I dunno, but it stuck out to me.
CMLL (FRI) 02/27/2015Arena México
1) Leono & Molotov vs Hijo del Signo & Metálico
2) Blue Panther Jr., Dragon Lee, The Panther vs Kamaitachi, Puma, Tiger
3) Atlantis & Último Guerrero vs Rush & Shocker and Marco Corleone & Thunder and Máximo & Terrible and Ángel de Oro & Hechicero and Dragón Rojo Jr. & Niebla Roja and Blue Panther & Felino and Gran Guerrero & Stuka Jr. [natl pi, seeding battle royal]
4) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, 8f]
5) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, 8f]
6) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, 8f]
7) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, 8f]
8) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, quarterfinal]
9) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, quarterfinal]
10) ? & ?? vs ??? & ???? [natl pi, semifinal]
11) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Mephisto, Rey Bucanero
Gran Guerrero handles the video promo, will be losing in the first round. Terrible and Maximo are the obvious favorites, but it wouldn’t he a shock for Ultimo & Atlantis or Rush & Shocker to make it instead.
Segunda looks like an awesome match which has absolutely no chance of making TV. (There’s no Tuesday lightning match this week, it’d be nice if that went up on YouTube instead.)
Today’s CMLL show starts the the annual incredible pairs tournament, with one rudo and one tecnico getting along just a bit more than the other team. The teams, ranked vaguely in the chances they have to advance
La Sombra & Negro Casas
Mistico & Ripper
La Mascara & Mephisto
Rey Bucanero & Volador Jr.
Dragon Lee & Kamaitachi
Barbaro Cavernario & Titan
Euforia & Valiente
Delta & Misterioso Jr.
Any of the top four teams winning would not be a surprise. It actually works better for CMLL’s short term goals for Dragon Lee & Kamatiachi to actually advance, but their conversation on Informa indicated that’s not going to happen. CMLL tournaments are interesting to see who wins, but the matches themselves are scarcely any good. Matches where partners don’t get along are just as bad. This tournament has been successful in highlighting feuds that’ll end up in the Anniversary show, but the in-ring quality is abysmal. The next two weeks of the Fox Sports 2 show are going to be unwatchable (more than usual.)
The only other notable match on the show is Atlantis, Marco and Maximo taking on Terrible, Thunder, and Ultimo Guerrero. It features the Maximo/Terrible rivalry, and it might a preview of next week’s teams.
Mr. Niebla acknowledged he’s out of CMLL for the time being in an interview with Mexico City’s Metro. They’re not online, but there’s a photo of the article on Facebook. Niebla doesn’t mention why he’s out – Niebla tries to frame this as his decision (it’s not) and does mention he’s got a meeting with CMLL about his status in the middle of the March. In the meantime, he’s very very open to indy bookings or even returning to AAA. It’s extremely unlikely he’ll be picked up by AAA. It’s actually kind of amazing CMLL would be willing to talk to him that soon (but then, Niebla’s story on this situation has changed frequently so there’s no reason we should be believe this story either.)
Amapola is headed back to Japan for REINA, working on 03/13 and 04/05 shows. She’s the current REINA International Champion and will likely defend the title while she’s there. No challenger named. That also means she’ll be in Japan while Syuri comes to Mexico (so she’s not likely to be the one to beat Syrui for the CMLL’s title.)
This week’s Bauer & Pollock podcast briefly mentions AAA contacted Samoa Joe about coming in. It’s one of many offers Samoa Joe has gotten since announcing he was leaving TNA. He’d previously appeared in AAA a handful of times in forgettable TNA invader roles.