Sure will be a long time before I have to do six recaps for a week. (Wait, what?) I can’t imagine anyone still needs me to tell them to watch Park/Rush at this point but I’m going to do it again anyway. I probably should be pushing people to do the same with Rey & Puma, because I’d bet less people have actually seen that match once you figure in Azteca in Mexico versus El Rey in the US. (And I really can’t believe they gave that away for free on YouTube; it says something about LU that they’d give away the two biggest matches from Ultima Lucha 2 for free on YouTube.)
Usual kind of blah show. Ares & Tiger didn’t come across as an issue, but they’re matched up again next week.
That ref spot was so bad, but the tecnicos didn’t react and the rudos were overdramatic, so now I’m scared they’re doing bad ref spots on purpose, thinking it’s some great thing.
Rey Escorpion challenges Maximo for the CMLL heavyweight championship tonight in Arena Mexico. The two are back together after feuding in past years, though they’ve never gotten to the big hair match they were teasing after Escorpion defeated Maximo’s father Brazo de Plata. Maximo’s been heavyweight champion since last January, and all his title matches have been very enjoyable. It should be no different with Escorpion as challenger. The previous time Escorpion challenged for a title was in Guadalajara and never turned up on video. These guys have met a lot in trios, but we haven’t seen a three fall singles match between them since April 2014. I’m always a little cautious about my hopes for a match on a Tuesday night show, but this one seem like a solid bet.
For what it’s worth, because it’s now that time of the year, CMLL is currently at 16 champions, the ‘magic’ number they need for a Universal tournament (and no one gets hurt.) Escorpion beating Maximo wouldn’t change that.
The rest of the show has the usual Tuesday mix of random trios matches. The foreigners appear in the semimain, with Johnny Idolo, Dragon Lee & Valiente versus Sam Adonis, Negro Casas and Barbaro Cavernario. Angel de Oro, Titan and Guerrero Maya Jr. team up against Dragon Rojo Jr., Polvora, and Luciferno; perhaps we’ll see Maya & Dragon react to being brought up as a possible Anniversario match. Triton, Soberano Jr. & Hombre Bala Jr. will face Virus, Skandalo and Disturbio in the third. Magnus, Leono and Oro Jr. take on the unappealing trio of Nitro, Canelo Casas and Metalico; that’s 20 minutes you may want to skip. The opener sounds slightly better, with Electrico & Acero taking on Pequeno Nitro & Pequeno Universo.
The show will air at 7:30pm on CMLL.com & YouTube as usual.
Caristico is expected back in action tonight in Guadalajara, teaming with Mistico and Volador against Ephesto, Euforia and Mephisto in a great sounding main event. It’s enough for me to try tracking down a feed again when it airs. They were definitely setting up a Mephisto/Caristico match here prior to Caristico’s injury and will likely go right back to it. Of note elsewhere on the card, Super Porky is against listed as wrestling – he hasn’t made a CMLL since July 5th, though he’s been advertised often.
AAA’s posted this week’s show on their channel, but I’ve been told the this version of the show is no longer available for Canadian viewers. I’m not sure if this has to to do with the the Fight Network deal (which hasn’t been airing new episodes for months), but that’s the only reason I can come up with. You’ll have to find a way around the block if you’re in Canada.
CMLL (MON) 08/08/2016Arena Puebla
1) Centella Roja, Millenium, París vs Akuma, Espíritu Maligno, Inquisidor
2) Arkalis, Pegasso, Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Espanto Jr., Policeman
3) Black Tiger, Titán, Tritón vs Ares, Bobby Z, Virus
4) Atlantis, Máscara Dorada, Mistico vs Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas
5) Marco Corleone & Último Guerrero vs Sharlie Rockstar & Shocker [Relevos Increíbles]
Only five matches this week after a while with longer shows. UG & Shocker matched up again, as are Ares & Tiger. Third & fourth match have some hope. Triton (& Dorada) are still around.
Chilanga Mask (SUN) 08/21/2016Coliseo Coacalco, Coacalco, Estado de México
1) Psycho Kid vs Novasonic, Hijo Del Ángel, Hijo del Alebrije, Kronoz, Terremoto Negro, Dragón Fly, Aramis
2) Dorado Jr. & Mr. Leo vs Chicano & Fulgor I and Fulgor II & Sangre Dorada JR.
3) Solar I vs Caifan Rockero III
4) Bobby Z & Sagrado vs Mr. Maldito & The Platino
5) Xtreme Tiger vs Jacon Kincaid vsLaredo Kid
6) Terrible vs Juventud Guerrera
7) Dave Crist & Jason Gory vs Aken & Impulso
8) Black Terry vs Wotan
9) Jeque vs Roberto Paz Jr.
Full lineup for ChilangaMask, which is running about every three months now (and will be running against Lucha Memes on this show.) Card order is not correct, but I don’t know what it is. Terrible vs Juvi was the last match added, with Guerrera talking about the match on YouTube.
MDA (SUN) 08/21/2016Arena Coliseo Monterrey
1) Erika Sotelo & Larry Miranda vs Dulce Kanela & La Chocolata
2) Chamaco Gurrola, Quinto Elemento, Última Sombra vs Extreme Boy, Gemelo Muerte, Tekilita
3) Ángel de Oro, Mr. Elektro, Sharly Rockstar vs Bestia 666, Hijo de LA Park, X-Fly
4) Ninja Jr. vs Epydemius, Obsesión, Galactar, Mini Hator, Delta, Lince, Tormento, Mini Difunto [cage, mask, hair]
5) Mistico II & Pierroth vs La Máscara & Silver King
6) Atlantis, Dos Caras Sr., LA Park vs Caifan, Canek, Rush
Second anniversary show for MDA. I kind of want to see Rush and Canek on opposite sides.
Fourth match is combining the minis feud and the Monterrey vs outsiders midcard feud, though all the DF guys who were part of it at the start are all not around.
X-Fly sighting in Mexico! And that’s also Elite/CMLL vs AAA, if Bestia counts as AAA.
PROESA was a repeat. Monterrey aired one new match and and one repeat. IWRG skipped over the Wednesday semimain due to baseball running long, and didn’t seem to air a repeat. Azteca aired the Gran Prix, so I’m putting up the iPPV this week. (more…)
Rob and I discuss the TripleMania lineup, the possibilities for the Anniversary show, and some thoughts on the end of Lucha Underground 2. I try to determine if there’s anyone Rob would less like to see main event TripleMania than Pagano. We both try to come up with something, anything for the Anniversary show that’s not La Mascara and I speculate in circles for a while. It’s about 90 minutes.
What happened: LA Park and Rush had a super libre match for the ages, an old school brawl too old school for Arena Mexico and the referee (who called it a DQ 7 minutes in.) They both just kept on going for several minutes more, making it one of the more remarkable moments in the short history of the Elite promotion.
Also, Rush picked up 3 points. Diamante Azul may or may not have won 3 – Elite’s changed their mind on his match (replacing Cibernetico) against the debuting Teddy Hart (replacing Caristico) counting in the standings.
What was good:If you’re on this site and you haven’t watched LA Park & Rush, you need to go and watch it for yourself. I liked the other matches, but they’re not near the same level.
Where can I watch it:It’s on my channel and half the lucha channels on YouTube.(more…)
IWRG (SUN) 07/31/2016Arena Naucalpan [+LuchaTV, The Gladiatores]
1) Fireman b Guerrero 2000
2) Araña de Plata & Picudo Jr. b Aramis & Keiser Drago
3) Demonio Infernal, Skanda, Violencia Jr. b Astro, Black Dragón, Zatura Good match. Skanda was hurt after a Black Dragon dive.
4) Black Terry, Freelance, Pantera I b Cerebro Negro, Hip Hop Man, Relámpago Pantera I survived the Cerebro Driver and challenged him to the match. Black Terry replaced Emperador Azteca.
5) Negro Navarro, Toscano, Trauma II DQ Chicano, Hijo del Pantera, Pantera Pantera unmasked Trauma II after Trauma II had done the same to Hijo del Pantera. Panteras want a trios title champion.
6) Mr. Electro & Trauma I b Canis Lupus & Máscara Año 2000 Jr. bloody match. Trauma I beat Canis Lupus after Mascara accidentally hit him with a chair. Everyone challenged everyone else. Seems like it’ll be a Trauma & Canis putting up their masks, Mascara putting up his hair, and Electro the IWRG Heavyweight title.
Seems like maybe a big show coming up, with three different title matches teased.
Show got strong reviews, with 3/4/5 said to be pretty good.
Today’s Puebla show is a relevos increibles trios match, following up on last week’s singles match. Ultimo Guerrero cheated to defeat Volador Jr. this past Monday, and they’re on opposite sides of the match again. Volador teams with Shocker and Mistico, while Ultimo Guerrero teams with La Mascara, and Marco Corleone. CMLL suggested Volador/UG might soon meet again but everything seems to be revolving around La Mascara. This one might not be any different.
Dalys defends her women’s championship against Lluvia in the fourth match. A title change is unlikely and the match quality is hard to figure; both women try hard, but their results are inconsistent. The semimain is Atlantis, Blue Panther and Stuka versus Rey Bucanero, Terrible, and Vangellys. The tercera has the Panther brothers & Stigma versus the Felino trio (Felino, Puma, Tiger), and might be the best match of the night. The Dinamita brothers team with local Ares against Black Tiger, Rey Samuray and Starman in the second match, though Starman missed his last match. Arkalis & Millenium versus Espiritu Maligno & Sauron open the show.
There’s advertisements in Ciudad Juarez for an AAA TV taping on 11/20. AAA taped there the same week last year. There’s plenty of people on the poster, including a big mystery person in the middle, but it’s unlikely they’ve got a card worked out three months in advance.
indy (FRI) 08/12/2016 Unidad Deportiva Rosarito, Rosarito, Baja California
1) Flamita & Torito vs ? & Tiago
2) Keira & Lady Maravilla vs Candy White & Jarocha
3) Hector Garza Jr. & Romero vs Tony Casanova & Último Ninja
4) El Hijo Del Santo & Rayman vs Ángel Blanco & El Hijo del Medico Asesino
Flamita & Mascarita Dorada is some kind of team. I have no idea what they’re not the semimain.
What happened: Brian Cage defeated Texano & Wagner, then took the heavyweight belt for himself. Fenix won a title shot at Hijo del Fantasma. Zorro attacked Fenix for unclear reasons. Los Fronterizos attacked Los Perros del Mal. (Those last three plots all appear to be dropped by the time I’ve posted this.)
What was good: The Fenix/Drago/Aerostar three way match falls apart with Aerostar’s quick injury. They make something out of it, though it’s not what you (or they) would’ve hoped for. Main event was good and actually told a story with the results.
Where can I watch it:It’s on my channel and AAA’s channel, and there’s handhelds of the last two matches.
Previously: Pentagon Jr. won the Latin American championship. The match is shown simply as Pentagon winning clean with the double stomp…
…but the show starts off with airing that same match, edited down to about 6 minutes. Pagano’s interference is shown this time.(more…)
CMLL (SAT) 07/30/2016Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Akuma & Artillero b Leono & Sensei
2) Arkángel de la Muerte, Metálico, Nitro b Magnus, Star Jr., Starman rudos took 2/3.
3) Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa b Okumura, Olímpico, Virus Okumura replaced Skandalo.
4) Ángel de Oro, Stuka Jr., Volador Jr. b Ephesto, Luciferno, Rey Escorpión
5) Mephisto b Máscara Dorada Mephisto took 1/3.
Mascara Dorada has lost his last 8 singles matches in Mexico, which means he’s in prime position to headline TripleMania. At least the guy is doing better elsewhere.
The Saturday shows now appear to be called “Sabado Clasicos”, which could mean rivalries renewed, but probably mean as much as “Martes Nuevo Valores”. No show next week; it’s the usual first Saturday of the month boxing card instead.
UWE (SAT) 07/30/2016Arena Lopez Mateos [+LuchaTV, R de Rudo]
1) Holkan, Ironía, Rey Inmortal b Cometa, Spider Boy, Súper Terry
2) Esther Moreno, Reina del Sur, Rossy Moreno b Diosa Atenea, Lady Apache, Stephanie Vaquer Lady Apache was the surprise luchadora
3) Dr. Cerebro & Flamita b Mike Segura & Sádico Flamtia beat Sadico (an reoccurring feud with Flamita is this building.)
4) Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Hijo del Fishman, Universo 2000 Jr. b Heddi Karaoui, Spartaco, Zumbi
5) Fuerza Guerrera, Juventud Guerrera, Último Guerrero b Atlantis, Hijo De Octagon, Octagón UG beat Atlantis. Rudos treated Hijo de Octagon roughly.
Sadico/Flamita is a secret great Flamita feud (because Sadico doesn’t wrestle much elsewhere), and that match is probably worth checking out should it turn up.
WMC (SAT) 07/30/2016 Gimansio Hercules, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Kronosport]
1) Fly Metalik & Shadow b Rey Abadón & Rey Lobo Kilvan was replaced by Fly Metalik or Animal.
2) Paloma Rouse b Reina Dorada, Felina Metálica, Reina Obscura, Lady Pink [HERCULES WOMEN]
3) Centvrión b Látigo, Arez Arez was added to this match. Fly Warrior was supposed to be in this match, then got moved to another, and Centvrion was upset Fly Warrior didn’t show at all.
4) Alan Extreme, Guerrero Mixtico, Yoruba b Corsario Negro, Drako, Wasson Wasson betrayed his trio. Wasson and Negro teased a hair match.
5) Sagrado & Stuka Jr. b Ancla & Terremoto Negro Both Sagrado & Fly Warrior pulled out of triangle matches (Warrior against Latigo & Centvrion, Sagrado against Stuka & Terremoto). Sagrado was later added to this match with Ancla. Sagrado snuck in a foul on Terremoto.
I can’t find a confirmed list of women in the second match, so that might be the one match which matched which was advertised in a lineup for this show. And they had two different lineups! Black Terry Jr. has highlights of the top 3 matches, in addition to the photos.
CMLL (SUN) 07/31/2016Arena México [CMLL]
1) Espanto Jr. & Espíritu Negro b Bengala & Leono
2) Astral, Fantasy, Shockercito DQ Demus 3:16, Pequeño Universo 2000, Pequeño Violencia Demus fouled Astral.
3) Dragón Rojo Jr., Kráneo, Rey Escorpión b Ephesto, Mephisto, Vangellys Escorpion & Vangellys continue to bizarrly feud, Escorpion winning with a legdrop.
4) Princesa Sugehit b Marcela, Amapola, Zeuxis, Sanely, Dalys, Lluvia, Tiffany, Reyna Isis, La Comandante, La Seductora, Skadi [Copa Femenil] battle royal set sides as Isis, Amapola, Dalys, Comandante, Tiffany, and Sugehit versus Seductora, Lluvia, Skadi, Marcela, Zeuxis and Sanely (Arena Mexico debut.) Order of elimination: Sanely (Amapola), Isis (Lluvia), Seductora (Comandante), Skadi (Tiffany), Comandante (Marcela), Tiffany (Zeuxis), Lluvia (Dalys), Amapola (Marcela), Marcela (Dalys), Dalys (Zeuxis, surprising her usual partner), Zeuxis (Sugehit) leaving Sugehit as the winner. She asked for another shot at Zeuxis and her title, and Zeuxis agreed.
5) Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero b Máscara Dorada, Mistico, Volador Jr. Volador replaced Diamante Azul (MIA). Mistico is apparently fine after being hurt on Friday.
Mistico appears to had a normal match, so Friday was more a scare than a real issue.
I’d be more excited to see Zeuxis/Sugehit in an apuesta match than Bucanero/Crazy. Probably more than a La Mascara match too. Hope they at least put the match up on YouTube, but no idea if they will.
A Chilpancingo promotion brought in CMLL, DTU and Independent luchadors for it’s 1 year Anniversary show on Saturday, leading to the once in a lifetime main event of Crazy Boy (replacing Ripper), Dos Caras Jr. and Terrible defeating Canek, Pesadilla and Rocky Lobo according to +LuchaTV. Local Black Condor lost his mask on the show.
The Televisa produced Blue Demon drama will debut on August 30, according to the star. This the period piece (40s/50s) with a fictionalized version of the original Blue Demon’s history, and is being done without the involvement of the current Blue Demon. (He’s made it clear he’s not happy with it’s existence, but hasn’t come out strongly against it – other family members also have rights to the Demon name and might have given approval.) There’s no word on the show being distributed elsewhere, but it’s likely.
ELITE (THU) 08/04/2016Arena México
1) Lluvia & Marcela vs Keira & Lady Maravilla
2) Ciclón Ramírez Jr., Dinamic Black, Hijo del Pantera vs El Cuatrero, Forastero (CMLL), Sansón
3) El Bandido, Jinzo, Rocky Lobo vs El Hijo del Medico Asesino, Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr., Karonte Jr.
4) Último Guerrero vs Rey Escorpión [Liga Elite]
5) Carístico, Súper Crazy, Valiente vs Cavernario, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
6) Volador Jr. vs La Máscara [Liga Elite]
Liga Elite picked two matches they had not yet done in the tournament! Good for them. There is the oddness of Rey Escorpion as an injury replacement for Negro Casas when Negro Casas is wrestling on the same card. Last three matches all have a chance to be good. Still no Rush or LA Park.
Vangellys & Rey Escorpion’s random fury takes them all the way to the second match next week. I’d guess Zeuxis is retaining since Sugehit won the Cup, but it’s not a safe bet. I’d like to be able to see that match.
CMLL (SUN) 08/07/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Micro vs Destructor
2) Capitán Cobra & El Alteño vs Linterna & Mr. Brisa
3) Cosmos, Mágico, Metatrón vs Demonio Rojo, El Gitano, Gran Kenut
4) El Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón vs Flash II, Star Black, Vaquero Jr.
5) Johnny Dinamo vs Randy, Mr. Apolo, Évola, El Yaqui, Javier Cruz Jr., Carlo Roggi, Exterminador [cibernetico, hair]
Main event is a reverse cibernetico, set up tonight with an atomicos between all eight guys. Randy (a rookie) & Exterminador (an old vet) have been at the center of it.
AAA TV (FRI) 07/29/2016Gimnasio Agustín Millán, Toluca, Estado de México [AAA]
1) Dinastía, Lanzeloth, Octagoncito b Mini Abismo Negro, Mini Histeria, Mini Psycho Clown Lanzeloth moved to the tecnico side, replacing Mini Drago. Mini Psycho Clown replaced him as a rudo. Laneloth picked up his first direct win by beating Histeria.
2) El Elegido, Faby Apache, Mary Apache DQ Hijo de Pirata Morgan, La Hiedra, Súper Fly Averno, Chessman and Ricky Marvin attacked the Apaches. El Apache ran out, but only to criticize Faby for her behavior and side with the men. He’ll be special referee for their tag match at TripleMania.
3) Fénix & Hijo del Fantasma b Angélico & Jack Evans Fantasma & Fenix debuted as a team (Los Fantasmas de Fuego) and got their first win. Fantasma insisted he and Fenix are a permanent team of a tecnico & a rudo.
4) Averno, Chessman, Ricky Marvin DQ Argenis, Bengala, La Parka Faby hit Avenro with a bottle for the DQ. Averno bled.
5) Aerostar, Drago, Texano Jr. b Daga, Joe Lider, Pentagón Jr. Texano beat Lider via sit down powerbomb
6) Pagano b Psycho Clown [bull terrier] Psycho Clown lost again. Bloody match.
Air Date: 08/13 & 08/20
Let’s update the non-LWC matches for Psycho Clown
04/29: W (by countout)
07/03: L (by countout)
Included in that run is three different singles losses to Pagano. Part of the issue is it’s so long between major shows, and everything stays the same between those shows.
I know El Apache is a rudo who’s gone against Faby in the past, but Chessman & Averno have to be fools to trust him to not side with his daughters. I think it’s probably a way to give either side an out for losing that match (but they could’ve done the same with Tirantes either.) It comes across so randomly, with no reason Apache got to make himself referee.
It’s hard to believe Fenix & Fantasma are going to remain a team when Fenix is still due a shot at Fantasma’s title, but perhaps they’ve forgotten. It seems like they forgot.
They’re off for 3 weeks, not taping again until 08/19 in Veracruz.