Recapped: 2016-03-29, all matches from Arena México of the same day
What You Need To Know
Esfinge & Volador won a fun Gran Alternativa block, and will face Raijin and Rey Escorpion in the tournament final next week. There’s no match you need to watch and it may lose it a bit knowing the outcomes, but it was a fun Tuesday night viewing and better than last week.
Mephisto pinned Volador once more before their title match on Sunday.
Yago & Golden Magic looked good in their first streaming appearance, and Warrior Steel is at least interesting.
All the Boricuas are acting as if the storyline where Pierroth quit the group and said Misterioso & Sagrado weren’t any good never happened.
Match Results for Result Databases
Shockercito & Astral (replacing Stukita) defeated Mercurio & Pierrothito [14:38, good] – 2 falls to 1 (6:54, 3:09, 4:35)
Canelo Casas, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado defeated Hombre Bala Jr., Magnus, Súper Halcón Jr. [11:27, ok]- 2 falls to 1 (5:09, 2:08, 4:10)
Atlantis, Mistico, Valiente defeated Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero [ok, ~8:07] – 2 falls to 1 (~2:45, 2:01, 3:21)
— Gran Alternativa Block B—
Warrior Steel & Golden Magic win seeding battle royal [3:47]
Mascara Dorada & Pegasso defeated Terrible & Sansón [5:03]
Mephisto & Yago defeated Raijin & Pierroth [4:33]
Esfinge & Volador Jr. defeated La Mascara & Stigma [7:29]
Golden Magic & Rush defeated Warrior Steel & Mr. Niebla [4:59]
Mephisto & Yago defeated Mascara Dorada & Pegasso [3:08]
Esfinge & Volador Jr defeated Rush & Golden Magic [5:59; Rush DQed for mask pull after Golden Magic was eliminated]
Esfinge & Volador Jr. defeated Mephisto & Yago [9:05]
Wagner doesn’t have to wait until Verano de Escandalo, getting his deserved title shot right away. The Doctor has gotten the better of Psycho in this feud and that doesn’t seem like it’s changing. It’s weird Murder & Monster aren’t seconds, and probably a set up for a storyline.
Bengala versus Ricky Marvin certainly jumps out. Ricky Marvin was Bengala, then he was back to being Ricky in Naucalpan, but Bengala lives on. It has to be someone new getting a chance with the character, but no idea whom. The photo on the poster is the Ricky Marvin Bengala.
Opener would be Atomic Boy’s first TV match since July 21, 2013, when he, and the Alberije and Cuije of the moment were all added to the Mexican Powers in an angle which was immediately dropped. He’s been spotted rarely since and has alluded to injuries keeping him out of action. Atomic Boy is strangely listed on an 04/03 Arena Xalapa show, and is on an April AAA spot show, so maybe he’ll be back in circulation more.
Or maybe he just made it because Fenix is hurt – he suffered an injury at Lucha Underground which will keep him out of the ring a little while – and Argenis got moved out of the opener to replace him. There’s other seeming replacements on this show. Mary Apache is on TV for the first time in about 10 months, likely taking a spot which would’ve gone to Goya Kong. Soul Rocker, the last Rocker left standing, is the position which often went to Carta Brava.
And then the semimain mystery spot might normally have gone to Hijo del Fantasma, who’s missing in action. (He’d make sense as an Octagon Jr. opponent, who’s much higher here than he has been since his debut.) His only two TV appearances have been the previous show in this venue, and the Rey de Reyes qualifier. King Cuerno was not seen at Lucha Underground the past two weekends – they’re taping out of order enough that he could be added back in later, but it’s not like he’s hanging out in Europe with Angelico. This all fits with the idea Fantasma is the mystery AAA/LU type who’s currently trying to get out of his deal – everyone else has turned up. Maybe the mystery spot will end up being Fantasma if they work it out – maybe they just don’t know yet.
On the other side, Mesias and Texano are back to teaming again, though it may be a temporary situation since there’s no obvious title contender on the other side. I can’t see them doing Texano/Parka and Texano/Garza is a reach unless Verano de Escandalo is in Monterrey.
No sign of the Damian/Halloween/Nicho/Pagano group, though the Perros del Mal match is an obvious spot for them to get involved. No sign of Angelico, who should be back by this point – but maybe he’s needed in Los Angeles early for Lucha Underground.
You need to go out of your way to watch Cavernario/Dorada. It was significantly better than their match in NJPW last year. Main event didn’t have much time left – it started 2 hours into the show, when most shows have been done here of late – but they crammed in a lot of time and it’s a fun watch if you still have YouTube going.
There appear to be some issues going on in the openers with people not being on the same page or just choosing to do different things. It’s taken those matches down a lot of late.
Tonight’s the second part of Gran Alternativa. Rey Escorpion and Fujin advanced last week. The teams in this week, veterans listed first
Rush & Golden Magic
Volador Jr. & Esfinge
La Mascara & Stigma
Mascara Dorada & Pegasso
Mr. Niebla & Warrior Steel
Mephisto & Yago
Pierroth & Raijin
Terrible & Sanson
This is billed as Golden Magic’s debut in CMLL. Warrior Steel is hyped as 135 kg (280 lbs); this is the first time most of us will have seen him or Yago.
It’s almost definitely a tecnico team advancing to the final. Esfinge & Volador are the favorite, because it’s hard to imagine Rush making it thru three matches with a random partner without betraying him. (Any match with him and Mascara will be something.) CMLL’s full preview is here.
Semimain is the Guerreros versus Atlantis, Mistico, Valiente. Second match has Misterioso & Sagrado in their first match since their leader (maybe?) quit their group. I’m not really sure why those two should continue to be phony Puerto Ricans but I’m sure they still will be.
Show starts 7:30pm local, which is still one hour later than usual due to daylight savings time. It’ll air on CMLL & YouTube.
A Turiluchas mention from Friday says they had two busses, and Diamante was hosting one of them. That’s booked out thru CMLL, so that means Diamante is back with the promotion on some level and should be expected on shows again soon – or they just desperately needed a second guy and he was around.
Lucha Azteca 7 has a website, where all the content is restricted from the US. It’s mostly preview videos. The CMLL Informa plugs have been pretty clear the Thursday day is one week only, which make me wonder if the Elite days are going to stay on Wednesday.
Box Y Lucha did not put a new issue this week due to Easter, but sent subscribers a digital version of their 1000th issue (from 1971). They also have expanded their subscription options, now offering 26 issues for 450 and 52 issues for 800 pesos ($46 USD). ByL’s publishing schedule has been irregular enough the last few years that 52 issues might take a lot longer than a year to come out, but a year of issues for less than a dollar is a pretty good deal.
IWRG (WED) 03/30/2016Arena Naucalpan Torneo FILL XLIX
1) Kabra Kan & Rey Flecha vs Skanda & Último Caballero
2) Charly Boy & Guerrero 2000 vs Ángel De La Muerte I & Ángel De La Muerte II
3) Ninja Olimpus vs Galaxy, Vardeus, Omega, Matrix Jr.
4) Centvrión, Hijo del Alebrije, Látigo vs Acero, Picudo Jr., Violencia Jr.
5) Adrenalina, Alas de Acero, Aramis, Blue Monsther, Dragón Fly, Freyser, Power Bull, Shadow Boy vs Atomic Fly, Fly Star, Keiser Drago, Keshin Black, Komachi, Marduk, Salchichita, Toxin Boy [Copa Higher Power] Gym FILL (Black Terry) vs Gym Zeuz (Oficial 911)
These schools feuding back in August, though this is their first time this facing this year.
This feud switched from Terrible/Valiente to Bucanero/Valiente in the off week. Recent Arena Coliseo Anniversary main events:
2015: Mistico (II) beat Ripper
2014: minis cage match (Pequeno Halcon)
2013: Dragon Rojo (c) b La Sombra [CMLL MIDDLE]
2012: Ultimo Guerrero b Shocker
2011: Rush b Rey Bucanero [CMLL LH]
2010: Mistico beat Atlantis
2009: Blue Panther, Hector Garza, Shocker b Averno, Mephisto, Ray Mendoza Jr.
2008: Dos Caras Jr., Mistico, Shocker vs Atlantis, Toscano, Ultimo Guerrero
CMLL (MON) 04/04/2016Arena Puebla
1) Meyer & Zaeta Roja vs Ares & Guerrero Espacial
2) Asturiano, Pegasso, Starman vs Espíritu Maligno, Metálico, Policeman
3) Delta, Fuego, Stuka Jr. vs Bobby Z, Okumura, Skándalo
4) La Máscara, Máscara Dorada, Valiente vs Cavernario, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
5) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Rush vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
Mistico’s partners are swapped out, but it’s still the Revolucionarios on the other side. Probably an Escorpion/Mistico match coming. Dorada and Cavernario cross passes again in the semimain, but probably will be a bit calmer. Delta is booked but is no sure bet to appear.
DTU (SAT) 04/09/2016Autolavado VM, Tulancingo, Hidalgo
1) Chalapa Boy & Radical vs Fandango & Kronico
2) Masizito & Porrito vs Erwing & Irwing
3) Exotico & Star Warrior vs Gran Cobra & Hormiga Star Warrior is debuting, the son of Black Warrior
4) Rocky Lobo vs Lanzeloth, Johnny Idolo, Jimmy
5) Drastik Boy & Pesadilla vs Fujin & Raijin
6) Ángel o Demonio vs Paranoiko, Drako
7) Ovett & Sharlie Rockstar vs Cíclope & Miedo Extremo
Last DTU show with Fujin & Raijin challenging for the tag titles, Rocky Lobo & Lanzeloth agreeing, andn ow they’re just facing other people. It happens.
AAA Sanchez (FRI) 04/15/2016Arena Neza
1) Sky Man vs Rayo Star
2) Andy Boy, Danger King, Guerrero Mixtico vs Carta Brava Jr., Motocross, Vampiro Metálico
3) Aerostar, Faby Apache, Neza Kid vs La Hiedra, Mike Segura, Súper Fly
4) Fénix & Octagón Jr. vs Parka Negra & Taurus
5) Monsther Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown vs Averno, Joe Lider, Pentagón Jr.
Main event is a rematch of Psycho Circus versus Perros del Mal, except Daga is (still) not showing up in Neza, so the Perros are teaming with their enemy Averno. Makes a lot of sense. Carta Brava Jr. quits AAA, is just about in the same spot we’d expect if he was still in AAA. Makes a lot of sense.
Black Terry Jr. has highlights of the tercera. Main event is what would be expected if Golden Magic was on his way out of IWRG and prioritizing working with Elite/CMLL going forward.
Today’s Arena Puebla has a nice treat: Barbaro Cavernario challenging Mascara Dorada for the CMLL Welterweight Championship. Cavernario is already national welterweight champion and the outcome is in no real doubt, but Cavernario and Dorada in a big match means very good things. Main event is Sky Team versus Revolucionarios, and Kamaitachi turns up in the fourth match (teaming with Zavala & Skandalo vs Titan, Triton and Stigma.) Batillon del Muerte, Arkalis and Rey Samuray all show up on the undercard, though not all in the same match.
The show starts at 9pm local, which is still one hour later than usual if you switched time weeks ago. This is the last week of the Daylight Savings Time difference; everything goes back to normal starting on Sunday.
A “Ciclon Ramirez Jr.” had a tryout with Dragon Gate today. (Go follow their new English language Twitter feed.) There is a Ciclon Ramirez Jr. who’s been around since at least the mid 2000s, but has barely worked on shows with major promotions and never made video. That’d be a random pick, but Medico Asesino Jr. got a deal with WWE once, so there are some decisions which just look random from the outside. It’s a little interesting they wouldn’t look at a DTU or an IWRG given their past relationships, but it also may simply be a case of someone willing to do the work of getting to the tryout. Or it could be the slow start of some other angle and I just wasted a paragraph talking about it.
03/25 REINA: Zeuxis (c) b Silueta to keep the Mexican National Women’s Championship
I keep forgetting to mention that result.
CMLL (TUE) 03/29/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Frezzer & Mágico vs Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno
2) Omar Brunetti, Príncipe Daniel, Starman vs Joker, Maléfico, Sangre Azteca
3) Fuego, Tritón, Vaquero Jr. vs Espectrúm, Fujin, Virus
4) Blue Panther, Stuka Jr., Titán vs Cavernario, Rey Bucanero, Vangellys
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Súper Porky vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
A little less DF guys than usual on this show. Principe Daniel is a totally new name, and the positioning suggests he’s a Guadalajara local guy.
This is Mephisto’s third title match – Volador’s beat him in Puebla and Korakuen Hall, and is the favorite to do it again. Opener is Rocky Casas’ first match outside the Gran Alternativa.
CMLL (SUN) 04/03/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Black Sugar & Johnny Dinamo vs Guerrero de la Muerte & Mr. Brisa
2) El Alteño & Star Black vs Carlo Roggi & Thunder Boy
3) Mágico vs Sádico [lightning]
4) Frezzer, Nautilius, Reyko vs Demonio Rojo, El Chakal, Gran Kenut
5) Espectrúm, Gallo, Magnum vs Furia Roja, Maléfico, Vaquero Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
This is the last show before Espectrum and Vaquero have their hair match.
FULL (SAT) 03/26/2016 Cicero Stadium, Cicero, Illinois [thecubsfan]
1) Kid ? b ?
2) Bazooka b ?
3) Chico Suave & Rey Furia b Dvs & Furia Roja
4) Alfa, Fúnebre, Slayer b Aeroborne, Black Boy Jr. (Minnesota), Chili Ricky
5) Bandolero Star, Destructor Jr., Niño de la Calle b Bracito De Plata, Gringo Loco, Skayde Jr.
6) Casandro & Discovery b Skayde & X-Fly
7) Dragón Lee (CMLL) & Tinieblas Jr. DQ Psicosis II & Rush
I went to this show! It was not bad. Much bigger building than last week’s show, much bigger crowd (though maybe the same around capacity %.) Last three matches were the best of the show, with money being thrown in after the fifth and a little bit after the sixth. Skayde & X-Fly tried to walk out after the first fall – they won, and they knew in this country the matches were one fall. (Casandro explained they were wrestling Mexico style.) That was much more a brawl; not any Skayde/Discovery mat work. Main event was also the house show brawling match, with all four guys going into the crowd. Dragon Lee fought Psicosis and Tinieblas fought Rush for most of the matches, with the brothers interacting only slightly. Show started on time and still went 3:30 hours – they could’ve cut down the time in the first few matches and people would’ve been fine.
Sanchez (SAT) 03/26/2016Arena Neza [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (photos), Estrellas del Ring]
1) Ángel Del Infierno & Electroflash b Kid Espacial & Star Abyss
2) Atomic Star, Motocross, Tony Cirio Jr. b Guerrero Mixtico Jr., Príncipe Caballero, Rayo Star Tony snuck in a foul on Mixtico
3) Bugambilia L Apolo Estrada and Eterno and Fresero Jr. and Vampiro Metálico and Billy el Malo and Punker andHerodes Jr. [cage, hair] Bugambilia lost his hair to Fresero.
4) Trauma I & Trauma II DCOR Dr. Cerebro & Hechicero technical match that turned into a brawl with both teams fighting outside for the 20 count
5) Gran Guerrero & Último Guerrero b Caifan & Pagano match went on as scheduled despite Pagano joining AAA.
This was Sanchez’s 9th Anniversary show, but had to be a disappointing one – building looked 1/3rd full or less, which had to be a surprise given a cage match and the ‘hot’ UG vs Pagano/Caifan matches. Cage match went on during the middle of the show, which is weird.
CMLL (SUN) 03/27/2016Arena México [CMLL]
1) Leono & Robin b Cholo & Yago Yago’s debut in a loss.
2) El Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón b Pegasso, Star Jr., Starman Forastero’s debut in a loss – though his cousin Sanson was stretchered out.
3) Fuego, Stigma, Tritón DQ Puma, Tiger, Virus Stigma replaced Delta (second show he’s missed this week.) Virus pulled Triton’s mask for the DQ.
4) Cavernario, Terrible, Vangellys b Blue Panther, Rey Cometa, Valiente Comandante helped Terrible win.
5) Mephisto, Mr. Niebla, Rey Escorpión b Máscara Dorada, Mistico, Volador Jr. Mephisto pinned Volador with a Rosa Driver, asked for a NWA WELTER title shot.
CMLL (FRI) 03/25/2016Arena México [CMLL, thecubsfan]
1) Mercurio & Pequeño Nitro b Aéreo & Último Dragóncito rudos took 1/3.
2) Amapola, Dalys, Tiffany b Estrellita, Princesa Sugehit, Skadi 17:16. Rudas took 2/3, Dalys pinning Estrelita.
3) Ángel de Oro, Guerrero Maya Jr., Stuka Jr. b Hechicero, Luciferno, Pólvora 13:12. Hechicero’s return from injury. Tecnicos took 1/3.
4) La Máscara, Pierroth, Rush b Carístico, Marco Corleone, Súper Porky [Relevos Increíbles] 13:45. Pierroth came out with the Comando Boricua (Pequeno Violencia & Comandante) but was offered and accepted an Ingobernables shirt. Ingobernables took 1/3.
5) Cibernético DQ Último Guerrero 12:18. Cibernetico took 1/3. Ultimo Guerrero trapped Cibernetico in simple holds and Cibernetico struggled to escape early on. Crowd was anti-Cibernetico. UG fouled Cibernetico, and the referee (Terror Chino) called the DQ despite looking the wrong way.
6) Atlantis, Máscara Dorada, Volador Jr. b Cavernario, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas 6:42. Straight falls. Peste Negra DQed in the first, pinned cleanly in the second.
Very skippable show with matches that just weren’t much good. Pierroth looked as out of place with the Ingobernables. The first couple minutes of Cibernetico/UG told the story that Cibernetico was not a good wrestler. It was effectively done, but I’m not sure why you’d want to do that and it’s something everyone involved did their best to hide when Thunder was in the same spot. Crowd was larger than normal for a Friday night show, which felt like it had to be to Cibernetico versus UG, only the audience either booed Cibernetico after he was unable to escape an armbar, or just didn’t make as much noise as they had in the match prior. (It’s not like they were way behind UG either.)
Caristico suggested himself versus La Mascara in a mask match for the Anniversary show backstage.
If there is a Lucha World Cup 2 around the same time as last year’s, it would fit right after the Orizaba show. Victoria has said they’d be interested in doing another and there was news about the possible format a few months back, but AAA hasn’t said anything it yet.
CMLL (FRI) 04/01/2016Arena México
1) Oro Jr. & Soberano Jr. vs El Cuatrero & Sansón
2) Blue Panther Jr., Fuego, The Panther vs Fujin, Okumura, Raijin
3) Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa, Súper Porky vs Hechicero, Kráneo, Ripper
4) Ángel de Oro vs La Máscara [lightning]
5) Dragón Lee, Máscara Dorada, Stuka Jr. vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto
6) Carístico, Marco Corleone, Volador Jr. vs Cibernético, Negro Casas, Rush [Relevos Increíbles]
CMLL insists on calling all the Ingobernables matches Releovs Increibles, even though they’ve stopped teaming with tecnicos and are very obviously rudos. (La Mascara is obviously the rudo in the lightning match.) No Pierroth and many of the matche slook like they could be.
Opener is a rematch from H2L and surely a better match. Segunda is has been fun in Puebla. Super Porky working every Friday is odd.
Pictures show Cavernario doing the splash to the floor. The title match looks good in those pictures.
Tonight’s Arena Mexico main event is technically Atlantis, Mascara Dorada and Volador Jr. versus Peste Negra to follow up on Casas/Volador but – as seems to happen quite often – the more interesting match is lower on the card. Ultimo Guerrero and Cibernetico have their first ever singles match. They started their feud only seven days ago, and already are directly confronting each other. Ultimo Guerrero feuded with Thunder for two or three millennia, and had zero singles matches. Maybe that’s just a statement about how CMLL felt about Thunder, or maybe it’s something for Elite’s benefit to spill over onto their Wednesday’s shows. Whatever it is, the match seems much more urgent for CMLL to get it done right away. Maybe there’s another shoe to drop here.
Pierroth, the maybe new Ingobernable, teams with Rush & La Mascara against Super Porky, Caristico and Marco in the tercera. Hechicero is scheduled to return in the tercera – that match or the main event should be the best on the show. The show opens with a minis match and follows with a women’s match.
The show is at 8:30pm local, still one hour later than usual in the US. (You’ve only got eight more days of this.) It’s back on ClaroSports.