CMLL’s press conference today was not streamed live, but +LuchaTV, MedioTiempo, PlantillaDeportiva, Furia de Titanes and others all covered. CMLL has put some stuff on their Twitter but hasn’t posted anything in full on their website yet, and there was no official live stream, so I’m just trying to patch it together and may add more later.
The big showcase was the 09/16 legends show, as previously announced on the Anniversary show.
CMLL (FRI) 09/16/2016Arena México
1) Estrellita, Marcela, Sanely vs Amapola, La Jarochita, La Metálica
2) Blue Panther, Kahoz, Negro Navarro vs Mano Negra, Solar I, Súper Astro
3) Fuerza Guerrera, Negro Casas, Satánico vs Atlantis, El Fantasma, Máscara Sagrada
4) Máscara Dorada vs Bárbaro Cavernario [lightning]
5) Pierroth, Rey Escorpión, Rush vs Euforia, Matt Taven, Último Guerrero
6) Cien Caras, Máscara Año 2000, Universo 2000 vs Canek, Dos Caras Sr., Rayo de Jalisco Jr.
Note: this has an early, 5pm CT starting time. (That’s 3.5 hours earlier than normal.)
The names coming back to Arena Mexico as one off on a national holiday will help the show draw well (much better than they do on other shows), but it seems weird to see the should-be-retired guys being pushed as bigger stars the current wrestlers. I’ve got no idea if Matt Taven is any kind of historic lucha libre fan, but that’s a wild show to be working.
Fantasma thanks the Lucha commission for allowing him to wrestle on a show inside his jurisdiction. (So I guess he thanked himself?) The unmasked guys may be allowed to wrestle in their masks – they appeared with them at this press conference – but it wasn’t made clear. Mano Negra will be on the same show as his daughter. He noted he could’ve never imagined such a thing would’ve happened. Many of the legends will be back on Informa this evening.
I’m not sure who the La Metalica is. There is one in Guatemala, but not the group that works with CMLL. (I suppose it could be indie luchadora Felina Metalica, but I think she’s booked.) (Edit: It really is Felina Metalica.) Jarochita appearing on this show suggests she’s sticking with CMLL and not Elite, but I think it’s going to take a while for all of that to definitely shake out. There did not appear to be any mention of Caristico’s status or Elite at all, and it doesn’t appear they opened it up to questions.
Dorada appears to be around for a month longer at least, so there’s chance Dorada/Cavernario could set up something the following week or they’re getting folded into next week. CMLL announced Reyes del Aire, CMLL annual flyer competition, returns on September 23rd with a final on September 30th. A two week format usually means a cibernetico on the first week that ends with two remaining (and everyone is confused and boos) and a singles match the next week. This is usually one of the more exciting CMLL matches of the year; it can be very one dimensional, but that one dimension is done exceptionally well.
This year, Reyes del Aire a tie up with the Esto sports daily, celebrating their 75th anniversary, and they’ll be doing some ticket giveaways. Dragon Lee, Volador, Valiente and Maximo were introduced as participants. It’d be tough to do one of these in 2016 without Dragon Lee, but we already know he’s not in the final because he’s booked in Ring of Honor on the 30th.
CMLL also announced they’d be sending Ultimo Guerrero, Hechicero, and Okumura to Ring of Honor on 10/29, as part of ROH’s tournament for their new trios tournament. Valiente was also announced as going to Ring of Honor on this show, though ROH’s only confirmed the trios team.
CMLL (TUE) 09/06/2016Arena México [+LuchaTV, CMLL, CultIcon, Yahoo! Deportes]
1) Pequeño Olímpico & Pequeño Violencia b Fantasy & Último Dragóncito
2) Cancerbero, Metálico, Raziel b Flyer, Magnus, Sensei
3) Disturbio, Puma, Skándalo b Hombre Bala Jr., Oro Jr., Star Jr. Star Jr. replaced Super Halcon during the week.
4) Sagrado b The Panther [lightning] The Panther replaced Star Jr. during the week. Sagrado won in 6:55.
5) Bobby Z, Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora b Blue Panther, Esfinge, Guerrero Maya Jr.
6) Atlantis, Stuka Jr., Titán b Cavernario, Mephisto, Último Guerrero Tecnicos took 2/3. Titan asked for a title match against Mephisto.
I have not seen this show and reviews were not too strong. Titan doesn’t get his match quite yet.
Today is the debut of Lucha Underground Season 3, on El Rey at 7pm CT. The only repeat follows immediately after, as it did last season. (El Rey was added to Verizon FIOS in between seasons; maybe double check to see if you’ve got it now if you didn’t have it before.) This first episode is named “Wheel of Misfortune”. Matches announced:
Rey Mysterio versus Pentagon Dark
Pretty much nothing else announced, but probably the usually three match. There’s probably a wheel, it will be spun, I’m guessing it won’t end well based on that name.
These episodes were taped starting in March. For context, matches on this show were taped before Ultima Lucha 2 last season, before Matanza’s first official match. This season is completely taped, maybe with a little bit of feedback from Season 2 to adjust things, but a lot of taking guesses on what will work and won’t work based on the reaction of the fans in the building and their own internal guesses. It’s a challenge – they had to have confidence to pick their own directions and go with them, and hope they’ve chosen well.
DeJospeh noted they were originally planning for Season 3 to be a 26 or 27 episode season, and it got expanded to 40 early during the season. This meant the most intense amount of taping they’ve done before, and a lot of planning/replanning to add to the early portion of the season, as well as working around everyone’s schedule. (You can see this in the taping results; there’s stuff taped as late as May that seems to belong to the first few shows.) It sounds like this was hard, but DeJoseph feels like they got it all worked out.
DeJoseph sees Season 2 & Season 3 as one big 60+ episode season, as they build into each other stronger. There’s no specific theme statement like “a much darker place” with Season 2, but a pattern of people’s past coming back to haunt them.
The stuff I always like is the What If kind of stuff – the alternate world where Marty the Moth ended up as Mil Muertes got brought up on Twitter yesterday. On the podcast, DeJoseph mentioned AR Fox was originally supposed to be part of the Crew, and Famous B’s also auditioned for a role on the Crew. (Lucha Underground wanted Fox for a while, but I believe the situation was he had a deal with Evolve and wasn’t free until Season 3. LU & Evolve seemed to have ill feelings over that and a similar situation with Prince Puma, resulting in Evolve being off limits to LU guys – until recently, so maybe everyone’s friends now.) They had been working on ideas for Taya for a while, even considering her for the Kobra Moon and Mariposa roles, before just realizing she had great chemistry with Johnny Mundo and they could play male/female versions of each other. It had been a plan to create a Mundo group and that fit in with it.
Famous B & Vinny Massaro were mentioned as guys who kept showing up every weekend, looking to help out, and they had wanted to do something with them. Famous B would wear suits to the tapings, which gave them the manager idea. They’re really happy how he’s run with the character.
There was a brief mention of a character storyline from a previous season that they wanted to follow up into Season 3, but couldn’t find a way to make it work and ended up holding it back for later. That seems to be the general long term planning: they have more ideas they can use, so some end up filed away for another day, and they have broad ideas of where they’d like to be with characters in the future, but they’re letting it play out rather than planning details years in advance.
DeJoseph said he’s heard there will be news on touring soon. I’ve heard similar things; nothing wide spread or far reaching, don’t get your hopes on this, but a show or two close enough that they should be announced soon.
LuchaMania Monterrey posted their recap of ColiseoMania. They earlier posed video of a Roberto Figueroa & Dorian Roldan in-ring segment to hype Heroes Inmortales. Or at least they attempted to; they instead got heckled by the fans to distraction. The big matches announced were Johnny Mundo defending the Latin American championship against Garza Jr. and – at a long last – Australian Suicide putting up his mask against Daga’s hair. AAA hasn’t mentioned those announcements yet; they’re either coming on TV, or the full card will be announced after the Hard Rock Hotel show (where both two matches look to be built up.)
CMLL (TUE) 09/13/2016Arena México
1) Leono & Sensei vs Camorra & Cholo
2) Astral, Eléctrico, Stukita vs Demus 3:16, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Violencia
3) Blue Panther, Fuego, Pegasso vs Misterioso Jr., Okumura, Sagrado
4) Esfinge vs Pólvora [lightning]
5) Guerrero Maya Jr., Johnny Idol, Rey Cometa vs Bobby Z, Sam Adonis, Vangellys
6) Dragón Lee, Rush, Titán vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Luciferno, Mephisto
Rush & Dragon Lee being on the team should be the story, but it’s probably more Titan/Mephisto. Luciferno in a main event. Nice to see Stukita.
CMLL (TUE) 09/13/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Capitán Cobra & Johnny Dinamo vs Diplomático & Linterna
2) Magnus, Robin, Starman vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Cancerbero, Raziel
3) Estrellita, Marcela, Silueta vs Amapola, Dalys, Tiffany
4) Ángel de Oro, Atlantis, Stuka Jr. vs Kráneo, Olímpico, Ripper
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. vs Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible
Marco & Terrible matched up again, so maybe they’re leading somewhere. Silueta gets another home game as she comes back from injury.
Cara Lucha (FRI) 09/16/2016Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México
1) ? & Hijo de Clímax vs Imperio Negro & Ying Sang
2) Sky Man vs Toxin
3) Fly Warrior & Rayo Star vs Toro Negro II & Toro Negro III and Corsario Negro & Drako
4) Bryan Villa, Gallo (Jalisco), Willy Banderas vs Templario, Trauma II, Wasson
5) Hijo de Pirata Morgan vs Rush, Trauma I
6) Danger vs Makabre vsToro Negro Jr. [hair]
This is a slightly early show – 4:30pm start- which makes me think Rush may be trying to work another show on this night and they started early to help him out. This isn’t the usual talent list, with a lot of the indies names pulled elsewhere (Elite?). There must not be a lot going on in Guadalajara on this day, since Mucha Lucha is sending guys. Gallito is listed with Gallo.
Pirata on this show means someone in AAA just won a free trip the beach.
AAA Rosales (FRI) 09/16/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) ? vs ??
2) ? vs ??
3) Atomic Boy, Mary Apache, Niño Hamburguesa vs Ángel de la Noche, La Hiedra, Máscarita Negra
4) Angélico, Dizzy, La Parka vs Dark Cuervo, Dark Scoria, Zorro
5) Psycho Clown vs Pagano, Pentagón Jr. [bull terrier]
A rare late show on the 16th, starting at 8pm. That’s because of the schedule – the main event guys are listed as working at least three shows. (Cards may be subject to change; the other ones have people listed who are also on the TV taping.) Psycho, Pagano and Pentagon are listed as working all three cards.
What happened: Dragon Lee unmasked La Mascara. La Mascara may have lost his mask but regained Rush back as a friend – it wasn’t totally clear, but they ended the night as friends.
Rey Bucanero took Super Crazy’s hair. Sky Team kept the trios titles.
What was good:I really liked the trios title match and the mask match. Some of the undercard stuff was good. Super Crazy/Rey Bucanero made me sad, and not in ways what made me grade it highly even though they tried very hard.
CMLL (SUN) 09/04/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Domingos Familares]
1) Avispón Negro Jr. b Relámpago Relampago replaced Quca. Avispon took 1/3.
2) Capitán Cobra & Fugaz b Diplomático & Guerrero de la Muerte Tecnicos took 2/3.
3) Exterminador, Gran Kenut, Mr. Apolo b Explosivo, Randy, Reycko Rudos took 1/3, Explosivo being hurt in the third fall.
4) Joker & Sádico b Frezzer & Nautilius Rudos took 1/3.
5) Mágico, Neutrón, Omar Brunetti b Maléfico, Mr. Trueno, Rey Trueno Omar’s return to the building. Rudos took 2/3, Malefico using the ropes to beat Omar.
Main event was pretty fun. Semimain is setting up a Casas/Mistico match. A recap will show up later.
CMLL’s Tuesday Arena Mexico show has Titan, Atlantis and Stuka Jr. versus Ultimo Guerrero, Mephisto and Barbaro Cavernario in the main event, which sounds like it could be fun if they spend some time on it. Dragon Rojo & Guerrero Maya meet again in the semifinal, with Blue Panther, Esfinge, Polvora, and Bobby Z also there. The lightning match appears to now be Sagrado versus the Panther according to that preview. Star Jr. was originally scheduled for that match, but is bumped down to the tercera to replace (still hurt?) Super Halcon. That match is now Hombre Bala, Star, Oro versus Puma, Disturbio and Skandalo. The second match is Magnus, Flyer, Sensei versus Metalico, Raizel, Cancerbero, and the minis opener has Ultimo Dragoncito & Fantasy versus Pequeno Olimpico & Pequeno Violencia.
The show will air on CMLL.com & YouTube, at 7:30pm as normal.
Luchas 2000 #839 has Anniversaro & TripleMania coverage. Not that it’s a big consideration, but the two shows being so close together probably hurts the magazines quite a bit, who could’ve gotten many more weeks of them seperate.
Ciudad Juarez sports hall of fame inducted Fishman, El Marquez, El Cobrade, Chino Chow, Sergio el Hermoso, Dorado Hernandez, Bello Armando, Bestia Nazy, Trovador Solitario, Hermes, Rocio Urbina, and Lola Gonzalez.
CMLL (MON) 09/12/2016Arena Puebla
1) Millenium & Zaeta Roja vs Rey Apocalipsis & Toro Bill Jr.
2) Black Tiger, Starman, Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Cancerbero, King Jaguar, Raziel
3) Princesa Sugehit vs Zeuxis [lightning]
4) Ángel de Oro, Rey Cometa, Stigma vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Niebla Roja, Skándalo
5) Euforia, Máximo Sexy, Último Guerrero vs Marco Corleone, Pierroth, Rey Escorpión [Relevos Increíbles]
6) Carístico, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Shocker
Caristico being booked on this show, and showing up last night, suggests he’s sticking with CMLL in this split. Caristico & Mistico going for the tag team titles would be so great, but I think they’re doing the singles match if they’re doing anything at all. I have no idea what’s meant to be happening in the semimain. Sugehit & Zeuxis should be good.
Yow. Canis Lupus losing was the expected outcome, but it does sound like they put in doubt.
Imposible’s gamble in giving up his title pays off (and Karaoui deserves credit for coming back to drop his title, which doesn’t always happen.)
The show should air tonight in AYM at 9pm, though AYM’s doesn’t always air it.
This week’s Box Y Lucha mentions there’s no IWRG shows on Wednesdays this month. It’s explained as giving the concept a rest, but it’s probably also because there’s Friday shows.
ColiseoMania IV (SUN) 09/04/2016Arena Coliseo Monterrey [+LuchaTV, Lo Mejor de Lucha Libre]
1) Ninja Jr. b Obsesión, Hijo Del Espectro, Mocho Cota, Gato Fantasma, ? [Copa Coliseomania] Ninja Jr. wants a title match against Rico.
2) Humberto Garza Jr., Ninja Sr., Príncipe Franky b Difunto I, Karonte, Potro Jr.
3) Sammy Guevara b Arez Arez replaced Flamita.
4) Pirata Morgan, Silver King, Zorro b Delta, El Elegido, Laredo Kid
5) Juventud Guerrera & Mr. Águila b Rico Rodríguez & Súper Crazy Super Crazy & Rico replaced Angelico & Jack Evans (moved up)
6) Angélico, Jack Evans, the Mack b Blue Demon Jr., Dr. Wagner Jr., Garza Jr. Jack & Angelico replaced Moose & Teddy Hart
Building looks pretty full. I feel like a lot of that is building up the “ColiseoMania” name value of the card, because the (scheduled) main event was not especially epic. Teddy missed the show with an injury, not sure what the deal was with anyone else.
It sounds like they announced Australian Suicide vs Daga, mask vs hair, for Heroes Inmortales. I was hoping they’d do that, and it’s one of the few matches they have built up that they can do on that show. Not sure if that card will get announced right away or if they’ll wait until after the 09/16 taping.
CMLL in Puebla tonight has the unique match of Dragon Lee vs La Mascara. It’ll be a long time since we’ve seen it (like maybe a couple hours prior the rate things are going with me.) It assuredly won’t be like the Anniversario show, because Rush isn’t there to be weird/distracting.
The semimain is scheduled to be Caristico, Mistico, Mascara Dorada versus Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Cavernario. Caristico’s got a decision to make on where he’s working on Friday – if he happens not to show up here, then we know he’s already made his decision. (For similar reasons, I’m curious as to next week’s Puebla lineup, to be posted late last night, to see if Dorada gets booked next Monday.)
The show also has a national trios title match: Hijos del Infierno will defend against Kraneo, Ripper and Olimpico. The champs will probably win. It’ll be OK. The Angel de Oro, Stuka, Stigma vs Dragon Rojo, Puma Tiger match before it, and the semimian after will probably both be better.
The two locals match are Astruiano & Rey Samuray vs Ares & Policeman and Astro & Arkalis vs Espiritu Maligno & Mini Joker.
“GALLIMANIA”. There may be more matches added – Triton is on the poster, but not booked, and maybe they have to sneak him in there because Pentagon Jr. is there. This is one of third or fourth different Pentagon Jr. matches in the greater Chicago area in September.
09/01: AAW in Berwyn (I was there! It was very good.)
09/11: GALLI in Villa Park (wasn’t planning on going, but they’re talking me into the building with those matches)
09/18: LLT in Cicero (with other AAA stars; though they canceled the AAA guys last time.)
09/25: Amaro in TBD? (this looks like it was probably quietly canceled, judging from the Facebook comments)
This is a combination of AAA having a really quiet September schedule and the lucha shows pulling from a somewhat different audience than the indie promotions – but also probably getting around over-saturation.
CMLL (SAT) 09/10/2016Arena Coliseo
1) Drako & El Coyote vs Artillero & Espanto Jr.
2) Bengala, Leono, Sensei vs Akuma, Canelo Casas, Nitro
3) Flyer, Oro Jr., Star Jr. vs El Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón
4) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Rey Cometa vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Gran Guerrero, Pierroth
5) Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Valiente vs Matt Taven, Shocker, Último Guerrero
CMLL (SUN) 09/11/2016Arena México
1) Eléctrico & Shockercito vs Demus 3:16 & Pierrothito
2) Fuego, Hombre Bala Jr., Magnus vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Okumura, Sangre Azteca
3) Blue Panther, Guerrero Maya Jr., Stuka Jr. vs Misterioso Jr., Olímpico, Sagrado
4) Matt Taven, Pólvora, Rey Escorpión vs Mephisto, Niebla Roja, Vangellys
5) Máximo Sexy, Rush, Valiente vs Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Último Guerrero
Rush still appears to be a tecnico despite ending up with La Mascara. These lineups have no more idea what’s supposed to be going on that anyone else.
The Vangellys/Rey Escorpion feud is back! What a lucky day for us all.
CMLL (SUN) 09/11/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Black Sugar vs Destructor
2) Cosmos & Fugaz vs Linterna & Mr. Brisa
3) Sky Kid & Smaker vs Mr. Apolo & Puma Negro
4) Explosivo, Neutrón, Star Black vs Demonio Rojo, Furia Roja, Sádico
5) Frezzer, León Blanco, Omar Brunetti vs Espectrúm, Maléfico, Ráfaga
Puma Negro is a new name, and they give him a photo on the poster so it’s probably important. There’s a Puma Negro who popped up in Arena Lopez Mateos a couple moths ago, but no one in Guadalajara using that name (so probably someone given a new gimmick – and a name that’s play off an existing CMLL guy.)
If you missed it, the CMLL VOD is now downloadable. Due to my own stuff going on, I have not watched it yet. Monday is a holiday in the US and I expect to watch it then. The show is $3 and I have no doubt it’s worth that much.
Cara Lucha (SAT) 09/03/2016Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Estrellas del Ring, Kronosport, The Gladiatores]
1) Pardus b Maldad
2) Fly Star, Keira, Toxin b Fiero, La Jarochita, Tiago Jarochita & Keira continue to make mask match challenges.
3) Danger b Toro Negro Jr. Makabre made a surprise appearance, helping Danger to win and setting up a three way apuesta match.
4) Black Terry b Hijo De Sangre Chicana, Heddi Karaoui Hijo de Sangre Chicana replaced Guerrero Mixtico
5) Trauma I & Trauma II DQ Herodes Jr. & Mocho Cota Jr. Hijo del Pirata ran in, attacking the Traumas. Pirata said he was now again an independent and was targeting Rush, and would also challenge Trauma I should he keep his mask on Sunday.
6) Hechicero & Máscara Dorada b Ángel Blanco Jr. & Flamita said to be very good. CMLL team took 1/3
The main event got strong reviews. Flamita did not appear to have made ColiseoMania on Sunday (as did others), so I wonder if he hurt his arm more here or he just worked the home building show before taking some rest.
Hijo del Pirata teased he was rejoining the independents after his recent IWRG appearance, then just kept wrestling with AAA. It makes it a little hard to take him seriously on this one either. He’s scheduled to be on the Hard Rock show on the 16th, and getting on those shows is seen as a perk for AAA wrestlers, so I’d be surprised if he’s quitting before it. I’d understand him quitting, since they’ve now slotted him as an opening match wrestler and that’s a hard stigma to break without changing places.
CaraLucha announced the three way hair match would take place on 09/16. CaraLucha also quietly seems to be putting some multipromotion alliance. Makabre was wearing a Muchas Luchas shirt, as CaraLucha and the Guadalajara promotion have run combo shows in the past. They’ve been part of the Crash shows in Tijuana, and they sent wrestlers to the PILLA show in Cuernavaca in Morelos. Depsite their own shows not drawing particularly well (this one included), they seem to have built a some brand value.
Psycho Circus beat Chessman, Taurus, Parka Negra in the main event of the AAA/Legend show in Arena Lopez Mateos. Mil Mascaras, Dos Caras and Canek beat Negro Navarro, Scorpio Jr. and Villano IV also in the main event of the same show in Arena Lopez Mateos. The Psycho Circus match went last, but they were careful to call both matches main events, probably for Mil Mascaras reasons. (Results box.)
Trauma I did defeat Canis Lupus in their mask versus mask match tonight. I’ll wait for full results tomorrow (there might have been some live video but I haven’t see it.) Imposible won the middleweight title on the same IWRG show.
CMLL (SAT) 09/03/2016Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Aéreo & Fantasy b Pequeño Olímpico & Pequeño Violencia
2) Leono, Magnus, Sensei b Canelo Casas, Hijo del Signo, Metálico Tecnicos took 2/3.
3) Arkángel de la Muerte, Disturbio, Skándalo b Soberano Jr., Starman, Stigma Skandalo replaced Nitro.
4) Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Kráneo b Guerrero Maya Jr., Johnny Idol, Titán Kraneo replaced Niebla Roja
5) Mr. Niebla, Rey Bucanero, Terrible b Ángel de Oro, Dragón Lee, Máximo Sexy
As an aside, CMLL mentions these shows will now air on Fox Deportes in the US. I have no idea when; maybe we’ll get an idea on Wednesday. Stay inexplicable, CMLL. It makes me wonder if that was in the works for a while and maybe that’s the real reason Sabado Retros got dropped. They are pitching this show as Lucha Clasico, but CMLL’s so far in the past that their normal style is classic.
CMLL (SUN) 09/04/2016Arena México
1) Cancerbero & Raziel b Magnus & Oro Jr. Oro Jr. replaced Starman.
2) Puma, Tiger, Virus b Blue Panther Jr., Star Jr., The Panther Rudos took 1/3.
3) Dragón Rojo Jr., Olímpico, Pólvora b Fuego, Rey Cometa, Titán Rudos took 1/3. Olimpico pinned Titan.
4) Guerrero Maya Jr., Stuka Jr., Valiente b Bobby Z, Gran Guerrero, Kráneo Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Atlantis, Mistico, Volador Jr. b Euforia, Terrible, Último Guerrero
Nothing much happening on this show, except for the Olimpico/Titan decision of sadness. No idea why it’s Saturday instead of Sunday getting the TV.
What We Know About Elite
They still exist! Their TV aired in the normal slot, a best of the show so far. Some picks made some sense – Tiger/Dorada, Volador/Mistico, Volador/Elgin, the two Elite title matches – but they interestingly aired a Rush/LA Park trios instead of the obvious match. They still air footage of that match in highlight packages.
Right before the show aired, Elite said they’d have a surprise, and then announced their next lineup
ELITE (FRI) 09/09/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) Chik Tormenta & Lady Maravilla vs Keira & Muñeca De Plata
2) El Bandido, Emperador Azteca, Hijo de LA Park vs Alan Stone, Decnnis, Zumbido
3) Trauma I & Trauma II vs Argos & Karonte Jr.
4) Octagón vs Fuerza Guerrera
5) Carístico, Golden Magic, Xtreme Tiger vs Magno (Chihuahua), Sharlie Rockstar, Toscano
6) LA Park vs Blue Demon vs Silver King
It’s a switch to Friday nights, and a debut in Naucaplan. Elite mentions they’re in Naucalpan for just one week. (A yet to be announced AAA show has the holiday 09/16 spot.) I don’t have it confirmed, but I believe Elite will continue running Friday night shows but in Gimnasio Juan de la Barrera starting on 09/16. CaraLucha indicated they were running on the September 16th too – it’s going to be overloaded with shows.
The most important guy on this show is Caristico, because Caristico is also listed in the main event of CMLL’s show. It’s an 8:30 start, same as CMLL. It’s physically impossible for Caristico to be in both places. Caristico was billed as an Elite star until recently. I’m not sure exactly where he’ll be; CMLL is the bigger and safer deal, but Caristico’s is treated as the top guy (of his size) in Elite, and as just one of many guys in CMLL. Golden Magic, Bandido and Sharlie Rockstar, who were presented sometimes as Elite and sometimes as CMLL, all are over with Elite. Super Crazy is not in either place yet. Cibernetico isn’t either. He was supposed to be back in the ring around this time, maybe he’ll return as a big deal in the next few days.
There are no CMLL wrestlers on the card, and none should be expected as long as they’re running Fridays. The advantage to Fridays is it’s a quick turnaround to airing Saturday nights. The disadvantage is that lineup, which has some clunkers of matches and a lack of depth. Blue Demon is one of the notable additions. He’s said in the past he’s an independent, and must still be, because there’s no other way luchadors allied with a Televisa company would show up on Azteca. Demon worked the AAA World Cup, but hasn’t been used on AAA TV since he didn’t make the Rey de Reyes show.
The bigger loss for AAA is potentially Juan de la Barrera itself. It’s AAA’s home venue in Mexico City, and has been their fallback plan for if/when a major show falls apart. I’m not sure where they run normal TV shows in Mexico City if not that building, though maybe the city will allow the promotions tho share it. Elite’s history says every plan changes after about six months, so maybe this will be resolved by the next time AAA needs the building.
The Elite/CMLL split means the LA Park vs Rush match is less likely to happen, but it didn’t seem like it was ever going to happen on either of their shows and would have to be put together by a 3rd party promoter who would be willing to take a giant risk on their own. As far as anyone call, there’s not a block like AAA/CMLL, and CMLL & Elite guys are still allowed to work on shows together. A block along those lines would be bad for everyone.
An unexpected part of this is it seems to finally confirm Elite and CMLL are two separate entities; there’d be no point in doing all of this if they Elite had been a CMLL offshoot all the time. (It can’t even be considered an angle, because no one’s doing it.)
Aerostar won CHIKARA’s Rey de Voladors, defeating Tony Nese (replacing Frightmare) in the final. It’s the second year he’s won a CHIKARA tournament, as he Drago & Fenix won the King of Trios there last year.
WMC (FRI) 09/16/2016 Gym de Box Mimados, Iztacalco, Distrito Federal
1) Ancal Jr., Íkaro, The vs Antar, Kronoz, Reina Obscura
2) Mr. Leo vs Lokillo
3) Belial & Heronia vs Felina Metálica & Fly Star and Luna Mágica & Terremoto and Ancla & Diosa Quetzal
4) Gran Guerrero vs Fly Metalik, Canis Lupus, Demoledor
5) Arez vs Freelance
Add another one to the 16th. I believe this is a new location for WMC (which might mean other people are running Salon Citalli or Gimnasio Hercules.) Arez/Freelance is the match of note.
CMLL actually was doing better than promised – their VOD of the Anniversary show as up around 4AM Ct, working for anyone who happened to be up. If you got up at 5 – or anytime the rest of the day – you instead got a message that it was blocked in all countries. The VOD was eventually taken down when the music couldn’t simply be removed, re-edited, and placed online again Sunday morning. It’s up there now, for $3USD.
CMLL never really explained what was going on, though their webmaster/photographer Alexis Salazar did confirm it was a music issue. Music rights probably made the show unavailable as paid VOD content, and so the music segments were cut out. It’s too bad, because those two music segments were the edecan dance numbers. You can see those below.
The edits are done fairly well (right before the Super Crazy and Dragon Lee entrances), though you can still obviously see everyone in costume.
For the record, there’s also about 30 seconds of dead time before the show starts cut out as well.