What happened: Pagano beat Psycho Clown in his home town. Perros beat the Traidor Clowns, only for the Traidor Clowns to beat up them and security post match.
What was good: Nothing. Maybe the main event was the best match of the night, but that was an extended handicap match. Getting thru this show has been a chore for a while now and maybe the good thing is next week is the final episode of the year.
Where can I watch it: It’s on AAA’s channel.(more…)
IWRG (SUN) 12/04/2016Arena Naucalpan [+LuchaTV, The Gladiatores]
1) Araña de Plata & Demonio Infernal b Black Dragón & Dragón Fly
2) Leo, Mike, Rafy, Teelo b Dowki, Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Príncipe Orión [lumberjack strap] Orion’s first match here in 13 months. Rudos stole the turtle shells but still lost.
3) Relámpago b Imposible Relampago won in straight falls to set up a title match.
4) Chicano, Danny Casas, Veneno DQ Dr. Cerebro, Eterno, Pirata Morgan Eterno replaced Pirata Morgan Jr. Pirata faked a foul.
5) Killer Jr. & Pirata Morgan Jr. b Golden Magic & Pantera I Pirata Morgan Jr. (moved up, first match here in 15 months) replaced Canis Lupus. Both tecnicos bled, and Killer & Pantera continued to feud.
Imposible defends his title probably on 12/21, maybe the same day as the mask match that’s being teased.
CMLL (MON) 12/05/2016Arena Puebla [CMLL, Efekto10, El Popular]
1) Arkalis, Asturiano, Millenium b El Malayo, Espíritu Maligno, King Jaguar Tecnicos took 2/3.
2) El Cuatrero, Policeman, Sansón b Black Tiger, Flyer, Tigre Rojo Jr. Rudos took the match in straight falls.
3) Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa, Stigma b Disturbio, Hechicero, Virus Stigma replaced Stuka Jr. Tecnicos took 2/3.
4) Euforia, Sam Adonis, Shocker b Ángel de Oro, Marco Corleone, Stuka Jr. Stuka replaced Johnny Idol (who still was listed as the image for the video link of the show.) Rudos took 1/3.
5) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. b Gran Guerrero, La Máscara, Último Guerrero Sky Team took 2/3, setting up a Valiente/UG match next week.
I didn’t see this show yet (just zoomed thru it to get the fall counts, so maybe I missed one in the second match?), but it looks like it was OK. Hope so. The big news of the night was obviously Valiente wearing pants. Not sure if the main event is a title match.
Today’s Tuesday show is main evented Angel de Oro, Atlantis, Caristico versus Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja, which CMLL hypes around Caristico appearing on a Tuesday. They didn’t run an angle in the main event last week. They did run one in the semimain, where Ephesto cheated Guerrero Maya Jr. to win. Those two match up again, with Blue Panther, Rey Cometa, Luciferno and Pierroth rounding the match. The fourth match has the Panther Kids & Drone against the Nuevo Dinamitas, which seems promising. Star Jr. fights Raziel in the lightning match. The show leads off with two less exciting matches: yet another minis tag match (with Pequeno Universo!) and rookies Principe Diamante & Sangre Imperial teaming with Robin against angry old man Nitro, Arkangel and Metalico.
Elite promoted a show for 12/17 in Arena Lopez Mateos. Unlike the show the night before, this one appears like one they might be promoting themselves (though it’s not a TV taping.) Golden Magic, Mr. Aguila, Flamita, Rey Escorpion, Bandido, Imposible, Solar, Zumbido and local Rocky Santana are promoted with no matches. The message of the tweet, the first in three weeks, is actually a vague promise of things happening in 2017 instead of promoting the show. They’ve never been much in to Twitter.
The AAA/EMW show in Tijuana on Friday had Psycho Clown actually winning one of those three way matches with Pagano & Dr. Wagner, cradling Wagner for the win. Aerostar was interviewed at the show, who’s happy with how his last two years have gone. He talks about possible feuds with Super Fly, Cuervo, Scoria and Daga (who he got into a long back and forth on Twitter a few days ago; Aerostar takes no guff on Twitter.)
Noches de Coliseo/Llaves y Canados still doesn’t seem to be airing. If it doesn’t air this past Sunday’s show, I’m thinking it’s gone. AYM aired the second match from IWRG’s show, then went into reruns (including repeating the same match twice), and later started to air the rest of the show but the stream died. I’ll grab it if it works later. I did not get the Elite special.
CMLL Lucha Libre Retro: 2016-12-02 Cloud Drive
taped 2016-09-24 @ Arena Coliseo
1) Estrellita, Marcela, Skadi vs Dalys, Reyna Isis, Tiffany
2) Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. vs Kráneo, Pólvora, Sam Adonis
CMLL on ClaroSports.com: 2016-12-02 Cloud Drive
taped 2016-12-02 @ Arena México
1) Oro Jr. & Príncipe Diamante vs Cancerbero & Raziel
2) Blue Panther Jr., Drone, The Panther vs Disturbio, Okumura, Virus
3) Estrellita, Marcela, Sanely vs Metálica, Tiffany, Zeuxis
4) Ángel de Oro vs Negro Casasin a lightning match
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. vs El Cuatrero, Máscara Año 2000, Sansón
6) Atlantis, Carístico, Valiente vs Euforia, Hechicero, Último Guerrero
AAA on Televisa: 2016-12-03 Cloud Drive
taped 2016-11-20 @ Gimnasio Municipal Jose Neri Santos, Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua
1) Pimpinela Escarlata vs Mambain a bull terrier match
2) Daga, Joe Lider, Pentagón Jr. vs Dave The Clown, Monsther Clown, Murder Clown
3) Dr. Wagner Jr. vs Psycho Clown, Pagano
I didn’t write a recap of the Crash but I watched enough of it live to throw those ratings in as well.
Didn’t like a whole much this week. The one match that didn’t make the Great list but might still be worth watching was the Hitokiri vs Pentagon Dark match from Lucha Underground. Everyone else seems to have heavily disliked the concept or totally loved the match, there’s not a lot in the middle. I feel like recommending that match anyone who might be interested, but I can’t imagine there’s anyone who might be interested enough in that match to have missed it so far; it feels like one you’ve either decided wasn’t for you or watched ASAP. (Or maybe you couldn’t find a link to it, so there you go.)
This is getting lighter (though writing about 9h30m of TV a week is “lighter”.) The plan at the moment is to continue to wait a day or so to watch the Monday/Tuesday shows with a fast forward button and use that time to work thru the watch later pile and other projects. If I’m doing it right, I’ll still get to this post on Mondays.
No IWRG results yet, and not much news that wasn’t in the Sunday night post.
The Sky Team teams up tonight in Arena Puebla, taking on Gran Guerrero, La Mascara and Ultimo Guerrero. Last week’s show had a Valiente/Ultimo Guerrero feud, and they’d probably do so again to set up a singles match in the next couple of weeks. The semimain is Angel de Oro, Johnny Idol & Marco Corleone versus Euforia, Sam Adonis and Shocker. The best match on the show might be the tercera, with Guerrero Maya, Rey Cometa & Stuka taking on Virus, Hechicero and Disturbio. Black Tiger wrestles on this show for the 500th time this year, teaming with Flyer & Tige Rojo against Cuatrero, Sanson and Policeman. The show opens with an all local match: Arkalis, Asturiano, Millenium versus El Malayo, Espiritu Maligno and King Jaguar.
It sure doesn’t feel like Maya & Panther are up to five defenses, but that’s because CMLL has aired no title matches for this tag belts since 2014. (One aired on NJPW World. One aired on the PROESA show. Panther & Maya versus Tiger & Puma may be in a CMLL vault somewhere.) A title change is not certain but seems more likely than not, and this match might air on Fox Deportes sometime around September.
CMLL (SUN) 12/11/2016Arena México
1) Astral, Eléctrico, Último Dragóncito vs Mercurio, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Olímpico
2) Estrellita, La Jarochita, Sanely vs Amapola, La Metálica, Tiffany
3) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Bobby Z, Rey Bucanero, Vangellys
4) Atlantis, Carístico, Stuka Jr. vs Euforia, Hechicero, Niebla Roja
5) Volador Jr. vs La Máscara
I’m stuck between “a Volador big match on a Sunday should be a VOD because it’ll probably pay for itself”, and “I don’t want to recap this show.” I could just not review it. The big news is they’ve found an unmasked photo to use of La Mascara after about three months.
CMLL (SUN) 12/11/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Avispón Negro Jr. & Johnny Dinamo vs Destello & Destructor
2) Cosmos & El Alteño vs Carlo Roggi & Mr. Apolo
3) Javier Cruz Jr., Mágico, Smaker vs Demonio Rojo, Évola, Gran Kenut
4) Frezzer & Neutrón vs León Blanco & Mr. Trueno
5) Magnum, Nautilius, Star Black vs Infierno, Pitbull I, Ráfaga
Infierno hasn’t had a match here in two years. Most of the luchadors who disappear from this arena end up in making appearances in Arena Roberto Paz or Arena Jalisco, but Infierno doesn’t seem like he’s been there either. Leon/Neutron feud continues in the semimain; they may be saving the mask match for Christmas.
Watching good matches instead of boring matches is a more fun who knew. The IWRG stuff doesn’t quite fit as good matches, unfortunately. Even when the matchups look good, the production problems are just killer. I hope they’re getting a good viewership out of being AYM or some cash. We’re used to it by now, but jumping back in it reminds me how bad it’s hurting their product.
Cara Lucha (SAT) 12/03/2016Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Estrellas del Ring, Kronosport, The Gladiatores]
1) Leónidas b Baby Extreme Jr., Ángel Jr. other two names not mentioned
2) Lady Maravilla b Marcela, Keira A bit of an upset for Maravilla to win, submitting Marcela.
3) Sky Man b Drastik Boy
4) Corsario Negro Jr. & Drako b Brian Villa & Willy Banderas and Guerrero Mixtico & Látigo Guerrero Mixtico was the mystery Latigo partner. Money thrown in
5) Templario & Último Guerrero b Fly Warrior & Hechicero [Juventud Y Gloria, torneo] First match in a rookie/vet style tournament, though there’s no other info about the tournament
6) Cavernario b Flamita, Jack Evans A ways into the match, the top rope gave out while Cavernario was hitting the ropes. The match stopped to check on him, then resumed and Cavernario ended up winning after a little bit longer with two ropes. Flamita challenged Cavernario a mask vs hair match, but Cavernario said he wasn’t interested in that “rag”.
Kronosport’s photo had all three guys laying on the mat in states of distress; I thought that meant everyone was down a spot when the ropes broke, but that turns out to be the end of the match. The ropes broke earlier, when Cavernario was hitting them to set up for his springboard triangle plancha. (You can see it in Terry’s highlights.) Everyone is apparently OK. 126f notes Flamita’s recent run of bad luck: the ropes breaking here and Extreme Tiger being hurt last week.
This was Jack Evans’ first time wrestling around Mexico City since being out on the outs with AAA and so he got cornered for some interviews. Black Terry Jr. has video. “Never say never” about an AAA return, but notes AAA never saw him as a top guy and now he gets to control his own career. He really liked the The Crash show in Tijuana and says it’s one his two favorite places in Mexico. He also wants a rematch with Dr. Cerebro!
Today, CaraLucha announced they’d be back on Christmas Day (which will obviously be a very busy day.) They also announced four more teams for it’s Juventud Y Gloria tournament: Gallego, & Corsario Negro, Black Terry & Toxin, Titan & Rayo Star, and Trauma I & Latigo.
CMLL (SAT) 12/03/2016Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Acero & Aéreo b Pequeño Olímpico & Pequeño Universo 2000
2) La Vaquerita, Princesa Sugehit, Skadi b Amapola, La Comandante, La Seductora tecnicas took 1/3
3) Bobby Z, El Cuatrero, Sansón b Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr., The Panther Rudos took 1/3, setting up a Cuatrero (in for Forastero) & Sanson title challenge against Maya & Panther. Fans were supporting the rudos.
4) Dragón Rojo Jr., Ephesto, Felino b Ángel de Oro, Johnny Idol, Titán Rudos took 1/3. Ephesto replaced Dragon Rojo.
5) Atlantis, Stuka Jr., Volador Jr. b La Máscara, Mr. Niebla, Niebla Roja Volador replaced Diamante Azul on Wednesday.
The Dinamtias make sense as champions over the makeshift team put together for last year’s FantasticaMania, but these tag titles might soon (or already) be below Sanson & Cuatrero. I’d rather them just win the main ones from Shocker & Casas, as unreasonable a hope that might be.
CMLL (SUN) 12/04/2016Arena México [CMLL]
1) Flyer & Leono b Artillero & Inquisidor Leono replaced Robin. Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Demus 3:16, Pequeño Universo 2000, Pequeño Violencia b Fantasy, Shockercito, Stukita Rudos took 2/3.
3) Forastero, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado b Fuego, Pegasso, Rey Cometa Forastero replaced Sangre Azteca on Sunday. Rudos took 1/3.
4) Bobby Z, Rey Bucanero, Vangellys b Blue Panther, Drone, Stuka Jr. Rudos took 1/3. (This time, Drone was defeated in every fall.)
5) La Máscara, Shocker, Terrible DQ Atlantis, Carístico, Volador Jr. Atlantis replaced Diamante Azul on Wednesday. The rudos hit Tirantes and blamed Volador, who was DQed. Volador and Mascara set up a singles match for next week.
That’ll be singles match #30 this year for Volador, not including the Best of Super Juniors (but including some short tournament matches.) It’s the third with La Mascara: Volador beat him in a Liga Elite match and beat him in the Universal tournament.
In interviews, the current Sin Cara said it was divine justice that he ended up with the name, and suggested Dragon Lee and Rush would be do well in WWE.
WWE was in Monterrey on Sunday.
AAA’s TV announced that Guerra de Titanes will take place on January 20th in Gimnasio Juan de la Barrera. That’s what they did last year after Guerra de Titanes was canceled in Ciudad Madero. There was never an indication the show would be held anywhere, so maybe this was the plan all along. Upcoming AAA TV schedule looks like Ciudad Juarez (12/10), a whole lot of best of stuff or holiday pre-emptions (12/17, 12/24, 12/31, 01/07), Chilpancingo (01/14 & 01/21) and Guerra de Titanes airing on 01/28 and 02/04. Like last year, it’ll probably be moving pieces around for Rey de Reyes.
Azteca 7 aired a Golden Magic special in what was the Sunday Elite replay spot. It’s probably just some best of material, but that seems like a good sign. I went to Azteca website for Lucha Azteca to see if they posted it there and found the Lucha Azteca website doesn’t exist. It’s been removed from the website, you just get redirected to the main page. That seems like a bad sign, there’s not a lot of point in doing that if you’re going to just be back in a few months. The show is not yet on the unofficial Liga Elite channel.
CMLL (FRI) 12/02/2016Arena México [CMLL, CultIcon, thecubsfan]
1) Cancerbero & Raziel b Oro Jr. & Príncipe Diamante 14:30. Rudos took 1/3.
2) Blue Panther Jr., Drone, The Panther b Disturbio, Okumura, Virus 14:50. Tecnicos took 2/3.
3) Estrellita, Marcela, Sanely b Metálica, Tiffany, Zeuxis 14:13. Tecnicas took 1/3 after both Tiffany and Estrellita interfered after getting eliminated. Rematch challenges followed.
4) Ángel de Oro b Negro Casas [lightning] 9:13. Negro Casas submitted Angel de Oro with a scorpion.
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. b El Cuatrero, Máscara Año 2000, Sansón 10:12. Straight falls, Maximo using a kiss and the ropes to beat Mascara.
6) Euforia, Hechicero, Último Guerrero b Atlantis, Carístico, Valiente 9:53. Rudos took 1/3, the last by Ultimo Guerrero & Euforia cheating Caristico
Generally good show with a lot of matches building to to the future. Fourth match was the best match.
CMLL (FRI) 12/09/2016Arena México
1) Oro Jr. & Stigma vs Sangre Azteca & Skándalo
2) Fuego, Pegasso, Soberano Jr. vs Okumura, Puma, Tiger
3) Estrellita, Princesa Sugehit, Zeuxis vs Dalys, La Vaquerita, Marcela [Relevos Increíbles]
4) Valiente vs La Máscara [lightning]
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. vs Máscara Año 2000, Shocker, Terrible
6) Carístico, Dragón Lee, Mistico vs Mephisto, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero
Dragon Lee, who took the pinfall last night on ROH PPV (and figures to do the same tomorrow) is back for an all-star trio to continue the march to Ultimo Guerrero/Caristico. Dinastia & Cuatrero will get over this week by watching Shocker & Terrible wrestle, I guess.
I’m going to keep expecting Valiente to lose every match for about six months, just to because it would make CMLL look silly. He might not! The sides on the tercera suggest they’re heading to a relevos suicidas down the road.
What happened: Último Guerrero cheated to defeat Carístico in the main event, and they teased a mask/hair match. Both teams cheated a little bit in the women’s match, and they set up a rematch next week. Máximo cheated to defeat Mascara Año 2000 (for no good reason, he’d gotten in his finishing kiss) too. Nothing in particular was set up there, maybe because they were already doing two mic segments.
All these feuds coming up at once suggest there’s a big show coming. It’s possible they could hold them all off until the holidays, but it also wouldn’t be a surprise if they did some of this sooner. Último Guerrero is often back home around Christmas week, so that may be one getting done a little quicker.
Principe Diamante also re-debuted as a member of the main roster. He’d been around before as a mini, and still looks like a tall mini, but a tall mini who won the Mr. CMLL contest. There’s always suspicions the bodybuilding contest may be as predetermined as everything else. Suddenly getting booked regularly (when CMLL seems to be scheduling shows weeks in advance) seems a sign of some plan, but losing in his debut suggests there’s not one.
What was good: One of the matches without an angle! I really loved the Casas/Angel de Oro match for a nine minute showcase. The second match was good as well.
Where can I watch it:I’ll have it up later. After drama earlier, there was no particular geoblocking problem on Claro. I’m not really sure that we fixed it. It could’ve just been the social media person being wrong because they have been before. It worked, that’s all that really matters.(more…)