IWRG (SUN) 11/06/2016Arena Naucalpan [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), The Gladiatores]
1) Fireman & Omega b Atomic Star & Fly Tiger
2) Adrenalina, Araña de Plata, Douki b Black Dragón, Cadillac, Keshin Black Douki replaced Hanaoka, Keshin Black replaced Alas de Acero.
3) Diablo Jr., Dragón Fly, Emperador Azteca b Demonio Infernal, Hip Hop Man, Skanda Diablo Jr. replaced Zatura. The Gladiatores says Dragon Fly teamed with him, though TV said it was “Gremlin” (and it was definitely someone in a Gremlin mask, but maybe Dragon Fly had a weird mask for the night?)
4) Pantera, Pantera I, Relámpago b Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Karonte Jr. Pantera I wants a shot at Cerbero Negro’s IWRG Welterweight title.
5) Canis Lupus b Bobby Lee Jr., Chicano, Danny Casas, Freelance, Hijo De Dos Caras, Suicida, Súper Nova, El Hijo del Diablo, Dr. Cerebro, Eterno, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Imposible, Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Negro Navarro, Trauma I [Copa Huracan Ramirez] Canis Lupus beat Hijo de Dos Caras for the win. Karla, Daniel Garcia’s daughter, and her husband (luchador Axel) and their son Daniel presented Canis Lupus the trophy. Hijo del Diablo replaced Veneno.
I had to check to see which title Cerbero Negro actually held before writing that. Diablo Jr. actually hadn’t been from early September until Castillo del Terror match last week; it never occurred to me that he was out of action, since his father is wrestling a lot and we saw him second Imposible when we were at Arena Naucalpan, but that explains why the Mariachi Locos haven’t been a trio much of late.
Axel being there seemed to be part of the Huracan Ramirez ceremony and not any angle. He still wrestles fairly regularly around Mexico, but came off like a retired guy who’d moved on.
CMLL (SUN) 11/06/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [CMLL]
1) Guerrero de la Muerte b Micro Rudos took 2/3
2) Avispón Negro Jr. & Black Sugar DQ Destello & Quca Avispon Negro Jr. replaced Capitan Cobra. Tecnicos took 2/3, the last by excessive violence DQ. (Injury?)
3) El Yaqui & Reycko b Carlo Roggi & Mr. Apolo tecnicos took 1/3.
4) Exterminador, Relámpago, Rey Trueno b León Blanco, Neutrón, Smaker Relampago replaced Espectrum. Rudos took 1/3, the last when Leon Blanco betrayed his teammates and joined the rudo side.
5) Pitbull I, Pitbull II, Sádico b Frezzer, Gallo, Omar Brunetti Rudos took 1/3, Pitbulls sneaking in a foul on Omar and a mask pull on Gallo.
All sorts of new stuff going on and people back who weren’t here before. Maybe there’s some sort of change going on?
CMLL (MON) 11/07/2016Arena Puebla [+LuchaTV, CultIcon, El Popular, R de Rudo, Terra.com.mx]
1) Espíritu Maligno, Mini Joker, Saurón b Asturiano, Centella Roja, París
2) Lestat, Pegasso, Tigre Rojo Jr. b Ares, Metálico, Policeman
3) Felino, Puma, Tiger b Guerrero Maya Jr., Stigma, Stuka Jr.
4) Dragón Lee, Máscara Dorada, Máximo Sexy b Ephesto, Mephisto, Pólvora Tecnicos took 2/3. Dorada got the deciding pin on Mephisto, and the locker room emptied to congratulate wish him farewell and carry Dorada on their shoulders. Dorada waved goodbye to the Puebla fans and kissed the mat.
5) Bárbaro Cavernario, Negro Casas, Volador Jr. DQ Atlantis, Rush, Último Guerrero [Relevos Increíbles] Barbaro Cavernario replaced Mr. Niebla. Team Volador took 2/3, the last when he was fouled by Rush.
I skipped this show to catch up on other stuff. That did kind of work – I got thru 1.5 shows in the time of 1 – but it didn’t work because it sounds like this show was really good. Main event seems to be setting up Rush/Volador, but the Mascara Dorada goodbye was the big story: the locker room lifting Dorada up on their shoulders was unexpected and neat to see. It sounds like the rest of the show was good as well.
Today’s Arena Mexico show restarts the sequence: last show had two title matches, so this one has no current feuds at all. It does bring back an old one: Guerrero Maya & Virus reunite in the lightning match. They’ve had some great title matches in the past, and Maya’s recent lightning match with Hechicero was good too. It’ll be an upset if it’s not the best match on the show.
The main event is Dragon Lee, Mistico and Volador teaming up Rey Bucanero, Terrible and Vangellys, which doesn’t seem like the best mix of people. The semimain has a random assortment of rudos – Felino, Niebla Roja and Ripper – taking on Blue Panther, Drone and Titan. The second match has more natural teams. The Dinamtias (Cuatrero, Sanson and Forastero) face the Panther brothers and Pegasso in a match with lots of potential. The women’s match will have Estrellita, Lluvia and Princes Sugehit against La Comandante, La Seductora and Zeuxis. The opener features the debut of Sangre Imperial – two children of Sangre Chicana on the same show – teaming with Bengala against Apocalipsis & Artillero.
CultIcon has a preview of the show, noting this is a rare Zeuxis’ appearance. She was on the Sunday special show for Dia de Muertos, but hasn’t been on a regular Monday/Tuesday/Friday streaming show since September. Today’s show will air at 7:30pm and air on CMLL/YouTube. I probably won’t learn my lesson and will wait to later to watch this.
Plantilla Deportiva catches up with Hijo del Fantasma. Most of it is just talking about current storylines, but the last part is more interesting. He’s asked about people who’ve left the company (Rey Fenix seems to be the idea, but he’s not mentioned by name), and Fantasma compares that to his own angry departure from CMLL. Fantasma said other wrestlers agreed with his negative comments about CMLL at the time, but Fantasma feels he made his own mistakes and was eventually rewarded by AAA for improving himself. Fantasma’s feelings now is that it’s bad for wrestling (both as a business and a family) to have said those things, and people who leave should stay silent and work on getting better.
This week’s Estrellas de La Lucha (CMLL’s in-house magazine/program) has a Dinamitas cover. They include Universo 2000 Jr. on the cover, so he’s probably coming at some point.
There’s a poster for an AAA spot show in Arena Aficion on 12/01 that’s a little funny: they’re advertising a mystery person in the main event, with a silhouette that’s very obviously Bengala. Last time a promoter did this, it was a Pentagon Jr. image that turned out to be Joe Lider, but I’m not sure why you would tease Bengala. More importantly: Star Fire is listed as wrestling! She’s been out over a year after a severe knee injury in Japan; it sounds like she had to go thru two knee surgeries to get back. It’ll be great if she’s back to her old form (where she was one of the better indie luchadoras), but it’s also just great she’s able to wrestle again. Star Fire’s also listed on a 12/10 Gimnasio Hercules show.
Vice Mexico has a strong profile of Rosalio Vera & Alexis Salazar, CMLL’s photographer. It’s in Spanish, but you find out how they came to their jobs and the injuries they’ve suffered to it. The article suggests Alexis was going to switch to being a luchador, joining his brother Magnus, until he tore up his knee last year.
CMLL (MON) 11/14/2016Arena Puebla
1) Meyer & Millenium vs Fuerza Chicana & Guerrero Espacial
2) Black Tiger & Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Cancerbero & Raziel
3) Astral, Astro, Shockercito, Último Dragóncito, Vega vs Demus 3:16, Espíritu Maligno, Mini Joker, Pequeño Nitro, Saurón [cibernetico]
4) Dragón Lee, Máximo Sexy, Valiente vs Gran Guerrero, Hechicero, Pólvora
5) Atlantis, Rush, Último Guerrero vs Cavernario, Negro Casas, Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
Main event is a rematch. Valiente literally takes Mascara Dorada’s place in the semimain. Cibernetico’s usually set up a match – maybe Astral defending the minis title? Three of the last CMLL minis title matches have come in this building, with Demus 3:16 getting two shots and Sauron getting one. Pequeno Nitro’s only title match came six years ago. I’d love to see Espiritu Maligno to get the shot to see what thing he does in a title match.
RIOT (SAT) 11/19/2016Arena Femenil, Monterrey, Nuevo León
1) Hooligan Byron & Kaientai vs Dulce Kanela & Larry Miranda Jr.
2) Drastik Boy & Ronnie Mendoza vs Arez & Belial
3) Kamikaze vs Erick Ortiz
4) Alberto Rios vs Dralion
5) Último Ninja vs Séptimo Dragón
6) Impulso vs Kratoz
If things go as planned, this show should turn up Powerbomb.TV this fall. (Which reminds me: if things go as planned, there’s probably going to be a craving for content explaining who all these Mexican indie guys are, and which ones ought to be saught out.) Match 2 looks like it could be the best match, but others aren’t far behind.
IWRG Zona XXI: 2016-11-03
taped 2016-10-26 @ Arena Naucalpan Cloud Drive
1) Lilith Dark, Omega, Voltar vs Bomberita, Charly Boy, Oficialito
2) Fireman, Keiser Drago, Shadow Boy vs Cadillac, Keshin Black, Kira
3) Leo, Mike, Teelo vs Bombero Infernal, Picudo Jr., Skanda
4) Araña de Plata, Atomic Star, Black Dragón, Demonio Infernal, Dragón Fly, Hijo del Alebrije, Hip Hop Man, Kanon vs Ahijado de la Muerte, American Star, Cósmico, Luis Cirio, Luis Cirio Jr., Manny Cirio, Pequeño Unicornio, Tony Cirio Jr. [Torneo FILL]
CMLL Lucha Libre Retro: 2016-11-04
taped 2016-09-10 @ Arena Coliseo Cloud Drive
1) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Rey Cometa vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Gran Guerrero, Pierroth
2) Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Valiente vs Matt Taven, Shocker, Último Guerrero
AAA on Televisa: 2016-11-05
taped 2016-10-28 @ Lienzo Charro de Los Reyes Ixtacala, Tlalnepantla, Estado de México Cloud Drive
1) Aerostar, Máscara De Bronce, Venum vs Dave The Clown, Parka Negra, Súper Fly
2) Hijo del Fantasma vs Drago, Angélicofor the AAA World Cruiserweight Championship
3) Monsther Clown & Murder Clown vs Daga & Joe Lider and Damián 666 & Pagano
PROESA on Efekto: 2016-11-05
taped 2016-09-18 @ Arena 2 de Junio, Col. Benito Juárez, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México Cloud Drive
1) Avenger, Negro Casas, Warrior Steel vs Anonimus, Avenger, Fugaz
2) Black Hair, Cadenero Punk, Futuro vs Destructor Rojo, Factor Miedo, Mitico
Noches de Coliseo: 2016-11-06
taped 2016-10-23 @ Arena Coliseo Monterrey Cloud Drive
1) El Ninja, Garza Jr., Ninja Jr. vs Potro Jr., Sergio Romo Jr., Silver Star
2) Símbolo & X-Fly vs Monsther Clown & Murder Clown
IWRG Zona XXI: 2016-11-07
taped 2016-11-06 @ Arena Naucalpan Cloud Drive
1) Diablo Jr., Emperador Azteca, Gremlin vs Demonio Infernal, Hip Hop Man, Skanda
2) Pantera, Pantera I, Relámpago vs Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Karonte Jr.
3) Bobby Lee Jr. vs Chicano, Danny Casas, Freelance, Hijo De Dos Caras, Suicida, Súper Nova, Veneno, Canis Lupus, Dr. Cerebro, Eterno, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Imposible, Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Negro Navarro, Trauma I [Copa Huracan Ramirez]
CARA LUCHA (SUN) 11/06/2016Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México [+LuchaTV]
1) Toxin b Kilvan [Crash The Best, quarterfinal]
2) Látigo COR Fly Warrior [Crash The Best, quarterfinal] Warrior could not continue after a tope.
3) Toro Negro Jr. b Danger [Crash The Best, quarterfinal]
4) Templario b Andy Boy [Crash The Best, quarterfinal]
5) Látigo b Toxin [Crash The Best, semifinal]
6) Templario b Toro Negro Jr. [Crash The Best, semifinal]
I’m still hoping for detailed results from DTU and IWRG, but I figure I shouldn’t be hoping for much from CaraLucha. There was almost no one there; I thought they were without letting the crowd in before realizing it was a weak turnout. None of the matches were announced – because they did a seeding battle royal. MAYBE THAT’S A BAD IDEA. I dunno. I’ve thought about it a little bit. Templario and Toro Negro go for the title on the 11/19 show, same night as the Flamita/Volador/Rey Fenix match. All threeVolador & Flamita were there promote the show, so Flamita definitely is back in Mexico.
Today’s Puebla show starts the final countdown for Mascara Dorada. It’s his last match in this venue, teaming with Dragon Lee & Maximo against Ephesto, Mephisto and Polvora. Mascara Dorada really never developed a definitive rival in his CMLL career, but Mephisto’s the opponent that comes to mind first when I think about Dorada. They had a series of title matches in 2011 when Dorada was first finding success, including a memorable Arena Mexico one where Dorada did many crazy things. Dorada won every title match they had until this past March (and that seems to be the point where CMLL at least thought Dorada was leaving, even if they weren’t sure.) They face off for the last match tonight.
The main event is another incredible teams match, with Ultimo Guerrero, Rush and Atlantis as a very unlikely team against Volador, Negro Casas and perhaps Mr. Niebla. (He’s scheduled, but he wasn’t around yesterday.) No idea where they’re going with it, except a match that’ll fall apart. The best match on the show will probably be the tercera of Guerrero Maya, Stigma & Stuka Jr. versus Felino, Puma, and Tiger. Maybe it won’t be Felino if he’s moved up to replace Niebla. The second match is Lestat, Pegasso, Tigre Roja Jr. vs Ares, Metalico and Policeman, the opener will be Asturiano, Paris, Centella Roja vs Espiritu Maligno, Mini Joker and Sauron.
CultIcon returns to preview this show. The show is back to starting at 9pm CT, and will air on CMLL.com & YouTube.
Shocker is off tomorrow’s Arena Mexico card. Vangellys moved up to replace him, and Niebla Roja is added to the semimain. Estrellita also replaces Marcela.
RobViper put up a new tribute video to Aerostar in onetwo parts covering Aerostar in all sorts of promotion – it’s very good
The Dave Dynasty show has an interview with Johnny Idol (about 10:28 in), talking for his career for a bit. Idol says he had a tryout with NJPW, didn’t get in there, so he decided to get on a plane to Mexico on his own and figure it out when he got there. Idol wanted life experiences and that sounds like a good way to get some. He wrestled indies (DTU) and trained with CMLL for a few months before getting picked up – he mentioned Sam Adonis was training with CMLL for about a week before he got onto cards.
CMLL (SAT) 11/05/2016Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Flyer, Leono, Sensei b Artillero, Grako, Inquisidor Tecnicos took 2/3
2) Princesa Sugehit, Sanely, Skadi b La Seductora, Metálica, Yesca Yeska’s return to the promotion after six years. Tecnicas took 1/3, Sugehit submitting Seductora to her La Regia submission.
3) Hechicero, Ripper, Vangellys b Blue Panther, Drone, Rey Cometa Rudos took 2/3
4) Diamante Azul b Terrible Azul took 1/3, the last with a German suplex that left Terrible stretchered out.
5) Carístico, Mistico, Volador Jr. DQ Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero Tecnicos took 2/3, UG fouling Caristico, setting up a singles match next week.
That’s a big match to be throwing out on one week notice for this building, but it’s the second match they’ve done with one week build.
CMLL (SUN) 11/06/2016Arena México [CMLL]
1) Eléctrico & Último Dragóncito b Demus 3:16 & Pequeño Olímpico
2) Oro Jr., Soberano Jr., Star Jr. b Disturbio, Sangre Azteca, Skándalo tecnicos took 1/3, the last when Sangre fouled and unmasked Oro
3) Estrellita, La Jarochita, Lluvia b Amapola, Tiffany, Zeuxis tecnicas took 1/3
4) Atlantis, Dragón Lee, Valiente b Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja, Nitro Nitro replaced Euforia. Tecnicos took 2/3.
5) Diamante Azul, Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy b Euforia, Felino, Último Guerrero Euforia replaced Mr. Niebla. Tecnicos took 2/3.
Nothing going on here.
LU Noon (SAT) 11/05/2016 Escondido Tamale Festival, Escondido, California [SoCal Uncensored]
1) Paul London b Bestia 666, Mil Muertes London & Bestia worked together to try and beat Mil, then Paul London’s Rabbit Tribe attacked Mil while London beat Bestia with a SSP. Muertes beat up everyone after, but King Cuerno attakce dhim, then hyped the main event.
2) Drago b Aerostar
3) King Cuerno b Willie Mack [two out of three falls] Cuerno took falls 2/3. Mil attacked him after the match, saying it wasn’t over for them. Mundo did a promo for Cricket to end the show (and everyone had to leave and return for the next show.)
LU 230pm (SAT) 11/05/2016 Escondido Tamale Festival, Escondido, California [So Cal Uncensored]
1) Ivelisse b Jack Evans Ivelisse pinned Jack, Taya & Ricky Mandell attacked her, Paul London’s Rabbit Tribe made the save. Vampiro made a trios match.
2) Ivelisse, Mala Suerte, Saltador b Jack Evans, Ricky Mandell, Taya Mala Suerte is the masked rabbit from the vignette. Paul London came out and rubbed carrots on Taya, leading to a double superkick from his frineds and a pin.
3) Angélico b Johnny Mundo [street fight] street fight, with Taya interfering, than everyone who had been on the shows (+ Vampiro and other staff people) getting involved. Angelico put Mundo thru a table with a powerbomb to win. Said to be a very good match.
Attendance was guessed at 500 in the seats and another 100 standing, decreasing thru the second show due to heat. First show started late because they were still setting up (you had a whole extra hour!) shows were said to be fun if not as serious as the TV stuff. Last match was said to be great, some of the others were a bit shaky. No word on another show – we’ll know if this works if we hear about one.
Elite did not air this week. Azteca7’s scheduling is weird; they don’t release lineups much in advance, sometimes not even in even the day in advance. (When I checked today, they still didn’t say what actually aired Friday instead.) Elite said they’ll be back next week, and they’ll have two tapings and plenty of time to edit them better than they’ve been doing live. This has happened before with soccer postponements. It happens to be the same week Combate Americas debuted on Friday nights on Azteca7, the old Elite time slot.
Elite also didn’t air in the US. The programming grid momentary listed one show on a 90 minute slot, which would match Elite’s full length shows in Mexico, but then disappeared and was replaced by a movie. The early listings for next Saturday have that 90 minute slot, but that’s subject to change. US TV programmers usually avoid airing 90 minute shows, because finding something for the extra half hour is tough. I think Elite will still air on Mexico’s Azteca, but I’m less confident about it happening in the US.
Lector 24 has interviews with Octagoncito and Psycho Clown, which are mostly normal stuff until the end of Octagoncito’s interview. Octagoncito believes AAA’s not put him on TV as much the last three years because they don’t want to draw attention to Octagon while they’re in a legal dispute. Octagoncito strongly hints he’s quitting AAA at the end of the year if there’s not a change. I’m not sure he’s right – AAA’s not been doing a lot with any of the minis, lawsuits or not – but I’d understand him feeling like he was caught in the middle.
A scheduled benefit show in Veracurz with Rush & Tinieblas vs LA Park & Silver King was canceled when the promoter was nowhere to be found. There were a lot of names on the show, so I’d guess it worked out where the promoter couldn’t afford the show and just decided to disappear.
ELITE (THU) 11/10/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) Pequeño Gigante & Solaris vs Pequeño Warrior & Shaolin
2) Mr. Leo & Rocky Lobo vs Belial & Impulso
3) Emperador Azteca, Metaleón, Zumbi vs Diamante, Imposible, Samoano
4) Decnnis, Intocable, Zumbido vs Dr. Karonte Jr., Hijo De Dos Caras, Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr.
5) LA Park & Mr. Águila vs Black Tauro & Rey Escorpión
6) Blue Demon Jr. vs Carístico
7) Blue Demon Jr. vs Cibernético
8) Blue Demon Jr. vs Xtreme Tiger
The poster says Blue Demon Jr. will have three singles matches, something I can’t imagine anyone wanting (including Demon.) At least taping it on Thursday might give them time to edit it better than they’ve been doing.
Arena Naucalpan never took down the Elite banners – they knew! I have no idea who’s supposed to be a tecnico or a rudo on these shows, but neither do they so it’s all OK.
This means no IWRG Wednesday show this week.
CMLL (SAT) 11/12/2016Arena Coliseo
1) Leono & Sensei vs Camorra & Cholo
2) La Jarochita, Sanely, Skadi vs Dalys, La Comandante, Metálica
3) Blue Panther Jr., Fuego, The Panther vs El Cuatrero, Okumura, Sansón
4) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Drone vs Bobby Z, Sam Adonis, Vangellys
5) Dragón Lee, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Niebla Roja, Rey Bucanero
6) Carístico vs Último Guerrero
That singles main event and a mostly good semimain.
DTU (SUN) 11/13/2016Autolavado VM, Tulancingo, Hidalgo
1) ?, Ángel o Demonio, Ovett vs ??, Diva Salvaje, El Exótico
2) ?, Black Fire, Paranoiko vs ?, ??, Hormiga
3) El Junior & Gio vs Lokillo & Pesadilla and ? & ??
4) ?, Jimmy, Kevin vs ??, Drastik Boy, Ronnie Mendoza
5) Flamita vs ? top rated student on the show
6) ?, Cíclope, Satánico vs ??, Crazy Boy, Negro Navarro
This accompanies next week’s DTU seminar; the best prospect from the show gets the match with Flamita. Others will fill the blank spaces on the show or will be part of a battle royal to open the show.
CMLL (SUN) 11/13/2016Arena México
1) Fantasy & Último Dragóncito vs Pequeño Nitro & Pequeño Violencia
2) Oro Jr., Pegasso, Sensei vs Cancerbero, Nitro, Raziel
3) Drone, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa vs Bobby Z, Misterioso Jr., Olímpico
4) Dragón Lee, Titán, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto
5) Diamante Azul, Marco Corleone, Valiente vs La Máscara, Pierroth, Rush
Diamante Azul and Rush back together, joy. Maybe a feud will come out of the semimain again.
CMLL (SUN) 11/13/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Avispón Negro Jr. vs Quca
2) Black Sugar & Javier Cruz Jr. vs Destello & Destructor
3) Reycko, Sky Kid, Smaker vs Linterna, Mr. Brisa, Puma Negro
4) Gallo & Omar Brunetti vs Pitbull I & Pitbull II
5) Flash II, Neutrón, Star Black vs León Blanco, Maléfico, Ráfaga
Semimain is a list of people who disappeared this year only to return. I missed a rudo turn.
Air Date: 11/19 & 11/26. Thinking about it now, I bet last week’s TV was expanded to an extra week because they would’ve run out before the Juarez taping on the 20th. Attendance looked strong for this show.
No explanation of what the deal is with Cage. He was on Twitter last night, so he probably was still in the US. He’s working a show in Brownsville today with Rey Mysterio, not the LU shows. It did allow Pentagon to finally get some revenge on Mundo (though that could’ve been the plan in the tag match anyway.) Everyone taping seems to ends with the two alliances facing off.
Title changes on a DQ are lame, title changes on a DQ where the champion isn’t even involved in the finish are terrible. AAA’s setting up the trios title match at Guerra de Titanes but, the way the Xinetez are just bystanders in this thing, they might not be part of it.
That’s about it. The Piratas may do a match, but it seems to be getting a slow burn. Venum beat Mocho Cota in the opener so the minis title match seems dropped for the moment.
Next taping is 11/20 in Ciudad Juarez. Taping after that should be Guerra de Titanes; we still don’t know when or where, but maybe we will know in a few hours?
Show started good and didn’t end good. Dalys/Marcela was fine. Main event was really just an angle.
The Guerreros (Ultimo Guerrero, Euforia, Niebla Roja) take on Mistico, Volador, Caristico in the main event of Saturday’s Arena Coliseo show. Terrible and Diamante Azul meet in a singles match following last week’s results. This will air on Fox Deportes maybe in mid January.
ELITE (FRI) 11/04/2016Gimnasio Agustín Millán, Toluca, Estado de México [@juanser1312, +LuchaTV, R de Rudo]
1) Muñeca De Plata & Rossy Moreno b Baronessa & Diosa Quetzal
2) Eterno, Fresero Jr., Imposible b Alas De Plata, Ciclón Ramírez Jr., Estudiante (Baja California) money thrown in
3) Octagón & Xtreme Tiger b Fuerza Guerrera & Mr. Águila Flamita was originally advertised, but replaced by Mr. Aguila
4) Cibernético b Carístico [Liga Elite] Ozz & Espiritu debuted, helping Cibernetico win.
5) Blue Demon Jr. & Bobby Lashley b Mr. Electro & Silver King Mr. Electro was the mystery luchador (replacing Strong Man.) Lashley won in his return.
6) Rey Escorpión DRAW LA Park [Liga Elite] Both men hit the referee, and there was no finish as a result.
The most dangerous job to have at the moment is referee for Elite. They routinely get destroyed (so the luchadors can get out of doing a finish.) Ozz retired for a while after leaving AAA, and it seemed like Espiritu (who mostly wrestles in Leon) got him back out of retirement to work some indies shows. It makes sense Cibernetico would pull them in here. You’d think AAA would own their names, but I don’t recall seeing a trademark application on them. I have no idea which of the three Alas de Platas that is. Everyone lists his partner as “Estudiante”, but Estudiante started wrestling in the mid 80s (with a young Negro Casas!) so it’ll still probably turn out to be Estudiante Jr., his son. Baronessa does a GI Joe Baroness gimmick.
DTU runs Sunday night in Salon Citali, with Revolucionarios Polvora & Dragon Rojo Jr. challenging Pesadilla & Rocky Lobo for the DTU NEXO (tag) titles.
This week’s Lucha Underground shows are happening in San Diego as a slowly work my way thru this post. Attendance looks very good, as it was last week. Hopefully Cricket is happy with them; we haven’t seen any indication from their side. ESPN 975 in Houston did a story about the shows there; the explanation of Garza Jr. working the shows is “we’re thinking about using him, this was a tryout.”
Powerbomb.TV announced they’d be including footage from RIOT and indies filmed by Carxyus and Black Terry Jr. when they go live this fall. That’ll give the VOD service access to a variety of Mexico City area indy promotions. It will not include Lucha Memes/Chairo/ChilangaMask – they have their own deal going.
The Panther was the first out in his ROH six way on Friday night. Misterioso’s team lost the trios match to open the show. (If you’re thinking about getting a ROH VOD strictly for the CMLL guys, it sounds like you’re better off with night one – though night two sounds like it had at least one outstanding non-CMLL match.)
CMLL (FRI) 11/11/2016Arena México
1) Flyer & Magnus vs Akuma & Espanto Jr.
2) Soberano Jr., Star Jr., Stigma vs Okumura, Sangre Azteca, Skándalo
3) Fuego, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Hechicero, Pólvora
4) Carístico vs Mephisto [lightning]
5) Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Máscara Dorada vs Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas
6) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Volador Jr. vs La Máscara, Pierroth, Rush and Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
I believe the last 9 person match in Arena Mexico was the 9 man cage match on June 17, 2015. Which was really an eight person feud with Mistico added because Mistico was so over. It’s that long because CMLL doesn’t really do three way trios matches, and probably won’t do one either – often this works like a trios tournament with one team getting a bye and facing the winner of the first two teams.
Dark Angel’s farewell got a lot attention by CMLL, rightfully deserved attention, but maybe not the same for Mascara Dorada. Dorada’s still going to wrestle while Dark Angel retired, and maybe you stop promoting people who are leaving to join another promotion when it’s the third person in about a year’s time. Still, it feels like something being done with so little ceremony that you wouldn’t know this is it unless you follow along closely. On the other hand, Dorada is getting the match he specifically asked for, so he’s probably not nearly as concerned about this. Really, I was appalled by Mascara Dorada not even being in the video preview for next week, which is among the stupider things to be appalled by.
We don’t know if Caristico is on Elite next week, but at least he’s booked here early enough to make it. Fuego returns from Japan in the tercera, which should be good. Magnus lives.