CMLL (FRI) 09/02/2016Arena México
1) Amapola, Dalys, Zeuxis vs Lluvia, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit
2) Ephesto, Mephisto, Shocker vs Marco Corleone, Máximo, Stuka Jr.
3) Súper Crazy vs Rey Bucanero [hair]
4) Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas vs Atlantis, Carístico, Máscara Dorada
5) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero [CMLL TRIOS] 7th defense
6) Dragón Lee vs La Máscara [mask]
Tickets go on sale tomorrow. As of now, there’s no price listing on Ticketmaster.
At the press conference, they noted La Mascara would be the first Alvardo to headline an Anniversary show and Dragon Lee would become the youngest ever to be in any apuesta match on these shows (younger than Puma in 2012, which was only an undercard match.)
The trios match is the only big addition we did not previous, and should be a stellar match. The overall card is not at the star power of recent years. It was going to be impossible without another Atlantis mask match, but this is much close to the level of the Terrible/Rush main event prior to it, and arguably less than that.
Rush is very noticeably not included on the card. He could’ve fit into the segunda, but it’d been hard for CMLL to explain him on the tecnicos side after he turned on Maximo & Marco earlier in the year. (Rush would’ve been better than Ephesto as a rudo though.)
The Anniversary show will NOT be transmitted live via PPV, but instead be put up on demand the next day on YouTube. The plan is for it to be up Saturday at 8AM. No price was announced. That’s not nearly as fun and ruins the community aspect of watching a show, but at least it should go up complete. It does indicate CMLL considers the Sunday VOD show successful if they’re trying it again. This show not being as big a deal as years past takes away the sting – the results are obvious or unimportant, I’m more interested in how they get there – but it does stink not having an official live option. People are just going to end up watching iffy Periscope streams instead.
It does appear this will not be the only major show in September. JCR ended the press conference by mentioning other surprises and festivities planned for the month, and announced a September 7th press conference to discuss those. That happens to be the same day as the Lucha Underground Season 3 debut; their trailer also dropped today.
A few other items were mentioned
Matt Taven will come to CMLL as a ROH representative on 09/09. It wasn’t if it was meant to be the start of a few week run like the NJPW guys, or a one night thing. JCR hyped CMLL, and speculated about someday having a NJPW/CMLL/ROH super show, but that seemed to be just his speculation. JCR hyped Taven’s title wins in ROH, but it’s worth noting he’s suffered a knee injury in December, has not returned to wrestling, and has no real specific role since his tag partner and manager left the promotion right after the injury. (It’s a odd first person to send – it feels like AAA sending Argos to TNA because they didn’t have any plans for him, only Taven should bebetter than Argos.)
Fantasy vs Electrico in Guadalajara next Tuesday is the Minis Anniversary celebration
Coliseo shows were officially said to no longer be “Sabado Retros”. They haven’t been for over a month. Caristico was interviewed to talk about wrestling there this Saturday for the first time in years. (He was there earlier this year, but for Elite.)
CMLL announced a photo exhibit at Liverpool stores from 08/25 to 09/23.
CMLL (TUE) 08/09/2016Arena México [CMLL, Culticon, thecubsfan]
1) Acero & Astral b Pequeño Universo 2000 & Pierrothito 13:44. Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Amapola, Tiffany, Zeuxis b Estrellita, La Vaquerita, Sanely 11:44. Rudas took 2/3. Esterllita replaced Marcela on Tuesday.
3) Blue Panther Jr., Stigma, The Panther b Fujin, Okumura, Raijin 14:14. Tecnicos took 1/3.
4) Fuego b Puma [lightning] 7:50. Fuego wrapped up Puma in La Guelauetza.
5) Kráneo, Niebla Roja, Ripper b Johnny Idol, Rey Cometa, Star Jr. 16:10. Rudos took 1/3. Star Jr. replaced Super Porky.
6) Máscara Dorada, Pierroth, Rush b Shocker, Terrible, Vangellys 9:47. Tecnicos (?) took 2/3.
Nothing much happened, but there matches were generally OK. Super Porky missed the show again; I wonder if CMLL doesn’t bother to get a bigger name replacement around in case, or if they somehow don’t know he’s not wrestling until the last moment and grab whoever they can get. (Star Jr. was fine in that match though.)
CMLL (TUE) 08/09/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Metatrón & Vaquero Jr. b Carlo Roggi & Joker
2) Disturbio, Metálico, Sangre Azteca b Flyer, Oro Jr., Robin
3) Fantasy DQ Último Dragóncito, Cosmos, Shockercito, Stukita, Pequeño Olímpico, Mercurio, Relámpago, Pequeño Violencia, Pequeño Nitro [MEX LIGHT, #1 Contenders] Fantasy upset Mercurio to get the title shot.
4) Atlantis, Marco Corleone, Valiente b Cavernario, Hechicero, Rey Bucanero
5) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Volador Jr. DQ Ephesto, La Máscara, Luciferno La Mascara unmasked Dragon Lee for the DQ.
6) Carístico b Mephisto
I usually wait for the full results to be posted from Guadalajara, but worth noting the two finishes in the main event. No sign of an angle for Caristico/Mephisto, and Dragon Lee and La Mascara continue to feud. This is also another good turnout for Guadalajara, thanks to some combination of Caristico and summer holidays.
Santo Jr. will debut in Tijuana on Saturday. Dr. Wagner Jr. is off the show, so it’s now the Santos against Angel Blanco Jr. & Rayman. Santo Jr.’s match in Torreon on the 18th – originally planned to be his Mexico debut – has him teaming with Magnifico II against Silver King & Hijo de Dr. Wagner. Magnifico II is Elite/CMLL’s Bandido, and CMLL luchadors have been blocked from appearing on shows with Hijo del Santo in the past. I assume that block extends to his son, but it did seem like Magnifico II
LLC 08/29 in Nuevo Laredo has Rey Horus vs Extreme Tiger on top, plus Valiente & Flamita vs Ozz & Espiritu. Ozz had quit AAA and stopped wrestling outside of his hometown back around 2014, but has turned up a couple times in the last couple months, including last weekend in Texas for Martinez promotion.
CMLL (TUE) 08/16/2016Arena México
1) Leono & Sensei vs Espanto Jr. & Inquisidor
2) Oro Jr., Soberano Jr., Starman vs El Cuatrero, Sansón, Skándalo
3) Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa vs Hechicero, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado
4) Stuka Jr. vs Luciferno [lightning]
5) Mr. Niebla, Shocker, Terrible vs Ángel de Oro, Johnny Idol, Titán
6) Máscara Dorada, Rush, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero
Rush being on Tuesdays suggests he won’t be on Fridays and such won’t be added to the Anniversary main event, but we should know all we need to know on that. It does leave for a pretty good main event for a Tuesday.
Niebla, Shocker & Terrible against Angel de Oro, Johnny Idol and Titan to CMLL really needing another group of semimain rudos who are good against high flyers.
This might be the last show for the guys going to the Super J final; they could pop up on the Elite show on Thursday but likely would be have to leave before Friday’s show.
CMLL (SUN) 08/07/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Doimgos Familiares]
1) Destructor b Micro Destructor took 2/3.
2) Capitán Cobra & El Alteño b Diplomático & Mr. Brisa Diplomatico replaced Linterna. Tecnicos took 2/3.
3) Cosmos, Mágico, Metatrón b Demonio Rojo, El Gitano, Gran Kenut Tecnicos took 1/3.
4) Flash II, Star Black, Vaquero Jr. b El Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón Rematch from last week. Tecnicos took 2/3, the last when Star Black unmasked Sanson. Star Black asked for a trios title match and the rudos accepted – but said they’d decided when it would happen.
5) Carlo Roggi L Johnny Dinamo, Randy, Mr. Apolo, Évola, El Yaqui, Javier Cruz Jr., Exterminador [cibernetico, hair] Johnny Dinamo took Carlo Roggi’s hair, winning with a casita.
Star Black seems to put his big matches on his YouTube channel, so that trios title match may turn up even if it takes place on an upcoming Sunday.
CMLL (MON) 08/08/2016Arena Puebla [Culticon, luchablog]
1) Akuma, Espíritu Maligno, Inquisidor b Centella Roja, Millenium, París Rudos took 1/3. 14:38.
2) Arkángel de la Muerte, Espanto Jr., Policeman b Arkalis, Pegasso, Tigre Rojo Jr. 18:41. Rudos took 2/3.
3) Ares, Bobby Z, Virus b Black Tiger, Stigma, Titán 15:11. Ares pinned Black Tiger clean. Black Tiger requested a mask match. Triton replaced Stigma.
4) Atlantis, Máscara Dorada, Mistico DQ Cavernario, Felino, Mr. Niebla 11:54. Tecnicos took 2/3. The last when Cavernario fouled Mistico. Dorada challenged for a rematch on behalf of his team. Cavernario insulted the people and Niebla was doing the same when they cut his mic. Mr. Niebla replaced Negor Casas.
5) Sharlie Rockstar & Shocker b Marco Corleone & Último Guerrero [Relevos Increíbles] 9:32. Team Shocker took falls 2/3, beating both men in the final fall to win. Shocker demanded a shot at UG’s middleweight title (though he accidentally called it Light Heavyweight) and UG agreed.
Another big turnout, and the matches they set up for next week (Tigre/Ares, UG/Shocker, semimain) should continue that. Fourth match was the best on the show. Arkangel matches are not the worst matches, but they’re the most painful use of time.
Negro Casas missed this show. He missed Sunday too; he was listed on the Twitter recap but the website corrected it to Ephesto in his place. Casas has been in and out since Homenaje a Dos Leyendas. He’s not badly injured – he seems like a normal grandfather on Dalys’ social media accounts – but it’s enough to keep him out of action a lot. No idea if it was the taxing hair match with Volador that Casas is still recovering from, or if he’d been working thru injuries up to that point.
They set up quite a few matches on the Puebla show, but the biggest news of the night was at the start. CMLL confirmed they’d hold a press conference at Wednesday at noon to announce the 83rd Anniversary (09/02) lineup. They’re saying it’ll be the entire card, not just the main event. Given how close the show is already, that seems about right. (It also means that, since we still haven’t seen a poster, CMLL might actually have their show all announced before AAA does the same.) Dragon Lee versus La Mascara and Rey Bucanero versus Super Crazy are the two expected matches, and it’s a matter of seeing how everyone else fits in, and seeing who’s left out.
Tonight’s Arena Mexico show is a reset week. While Puebla can manage to run three storylines one show, Tuesday Mexico shows are often limited to one (if not zero), and so last week’s Maximo/Escorpion show means there’s no story CMLL is trying to tell this week. Luckily, there are a few stories they’re not trying to tell but are still sort of interesting. The main event is Rush’s first appearance in Arena Mexico in 25 days; he wrestled in the main event of the Leyenda de Plata show, the night after the brawl with LA Park which appears to have gotten both suspended. (LA Park is still not back.) Any Rush post match interview is potentially more interesting than the match, where he teams with his father Pierroth and Mascara Dorada against Shocker, Terrible and Vangellys. Pierroth and Mascara Dorada bring remarkable different styles. Pierroth himself has been way scaled down of late, and is making his first streaming appearance since July 19th. It might not be a coincidence.
The semimain is also more interesting as a status check on another CMLL luchador missing in action, Brazo de Plata. Super Porky hasn’t appeared on a CMLL card in a month, though he’s been repeatedly advertised for them. CMLL’s preview finally acknowledged the situation enough to give a reason, saying Porky has a hip injury. Maybe that means he’ll be better tonight. Maybe it won’t mean anything. On this past week’s CMLL Informa Vuelta, Ultimo Guerrero mentioned Niebla Roja is out with an injury, but he’s still listed as wrestling tonight. Should they both make the match, Porky will team with Rey Cometa and Johnny Idol, while Roja teams with Kraneo & Ripper.
The rest of the card is more ordinary stuff. Pequeno Universo will struggle his way thru the opener, teaming with Pierroth against Astral & Acero. Sanely (spelled “Shanely” in the preview) continues her regular appearances by teaming with Vaquerita & Esterllita against Zeuxis, Amapola and Tiffany; the tecnicas seem outmatched in that one. Blue Panther Jr. & the Panther continue their never ending series against Fujin & Raijin with Okumura and Stigma rounding out the trios. The lightning match had Fuego against Puma; Puma seems to struggle to beat the guys at the level of Fuego, and they usually are entertaining together.
AAA announced Heroes Inmortales will take place 10/02 (Sunday) in Monterey. This has been the plan for months, since Verano de Escandalo was “postponed” (and then never made up) from running in the same location. Verano seemed to be pulled because AAA didn’t have a card big enough to run Arena Monterrey. They’re running Arena Monterrey again, and I’m not any more sure about them having a card big enough to run that big building. There will be five weeks of TV in between TripleMania and Heroes Inmortales. One of them will be the second half of the Veracruz taping, building up TripleMania. Two more will be TripleMania, if they don’t skip it (and there’s no sign of an additional taping that would allow them to skip it.) That leaves just two weeks of new TV to set up big matches for Heroes Inmortales. That’s a super challenging task for a wrestling promotion running well, and AAA is currently a promotion who’s postponed two of their last three shows. Maybe 10/02 was the only date they could get, but this doesn’t seem like any better situation than the last one. Cross your fingers.
AAA has a preview of their next taping in Veracruz (still 10 days away). They do confirm Fenix & Fantasma are the mystery team on the show, facing Drago & Aerostar and Joe Lider & Daga. There is no mention of the “winner picks the ref” stip in the main event. There’s also no mention of the segunda, so it could just be an omission and not a change. I figure Tirantes is going to get involved anyway, because AAA, but doing two ‘special’ referees on the same show seems overkill and maybe they backed off doing the one in the main event after adding it to Apaches/Chessman/Averno.
The main event of a free show in Morelos had Octagoncito & Mini Drago against Dowky & Mini Kenzo Suzuki, for deep AAA cuts. Mini Drago seems to be keep that name on the indies, which probably won’t go for him in the long term. Mary Apache also worked the show, a rare non-AAA appearance for her.
IWRG (WED) 08/10/2016Arena Naucalpan
1) Keiser Drago & Shadow Boy vs Adrenalina & Fly Tiger
2) Black Dragón, Fireman, Omega vs Dowki, Hanaoka, Yakuza
3) Alas de Acero, Aramis, Araña de Plata, Galaxy, Guerrero 2000 vs Eddy Santos, Rosario Negro, Vengador, Viajero Extremo, Viajero Jr.
4) Dragón Fly, Emperador Azteca, Hijo del Alebrije vs Bombero Infernal, Demonio Infernal, Hip Hop Man
5) Black Terry vs Judas el Traidor [super libre]
Might this super libre match not end in DQ? Semifinal follows up on the mask match, with the tercera continuing the FILL vs Gym Infierno feud. Dowki & Hanaoka stick around by teaming with fellow Japanese man (??) Yakuza, which is just perfect.
This is a big Puebla show, a title match and a mask match. Ares & Black Tiger haven’t clicked at all and UG/Shocker doesn’t seem promising, but the crowd will be into both. (I’d pick Black Tiger, but this is hard to call.) The other matches look promising too, with Fujin & Raijin facing (relatively) new people, a good minis match, and a decent opener. King Jaguar does return after all.
Lucha Memes (SUN) 08/21/2016 Atlantico Club, Cuauhtémoc, Distrito Federal
1) Kaligua Jr., Lunatic Fly, Lunatic Xtreme vs Alas de Acero, Aramis, Iron Kid
2) Lady Maravilla vs Keira vs La Magnifica
3) Mike Segura vs Rey Cometa
4) Zafiro vs Arez
5) Dragón Lee vs Freelance
6) Alberto Dos Rios vs Virus
Same day as the Chairo show. Freelance/Lee and Cometa/Segura should be great, the women’s match should be as well, and that’s a big match for Alberto dos Rios.
UWE (SAT) 08/27/2016Arena Lopez Mateos
1) Felina Metálica & Keira vs Diosa Atenea & Lady Maravilla
2) Sensei, Shibata, Yakuza vs Kilvan, Shadow, Yoruba and Dante, Euro, Filder
3) Sádico vs Flamita, Toxin, Mike Segura, Impulso
4) Caifan, Dr. Cerebro, Virus vs Negro Navarro, Trauma I, Trauma II
5) LA Park & Rey Hechicero vs Pierroth & Rush
Rush & LA Park brawl the night before TripleMania. Tercera is going to have people flying all over the place. Second match is a trio of martial arists.
IAP (SUN) 09/04/2016 Salón Citlalli, Ecatepec, Estado de México 1) Yoruba vs Tromba 2) Lokillus vs Danger, Johnny Madrid 3) Wasson vs Centella 4) Huracán Ramírez Jr. vs Ciclón Ramírez Jr. 5) Teelo vs Rafy vsLeo vsMike 6) As Charro & Wotan vs Canek Jr. & Hijo del Fishman
Main event follows up on the non-finish of the first show. It’s another tribute to UWA, and I suspect there are people on this show and attending the show who were born after the promotion stopped existing. (Definitely those born after it stopped mattering.) Ninja Turtle fights are always fun.
This is a smaller number of matches than usual. No Claro. No Elite. Azteca moved around so I missed a big chunk (but it’s a show I put up already.) Sunday’s IWRG was pre-empted by baseball. Saturday’s IWRG was pre-empted by my internet going out in the middle of the show; I’m getting help with the missing matches from the Wednesday taping, and I will add them later on.
IAP (SUN) 08/07/2016 Gimansio Hercules, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Kronosport]
1) Moto Cross b Rocker Boy, Alfa Andy Boy was moved up, andthis became a three way.
2) Fuerza Negra & Zoom Driver b Andy Boy & Danger King Andy Boy replaced Corsario
3) Tromba & Yoruba b Centella & Wasson Latigo & Centviron were moved up, so this became a normal 2v2 tag (and moved down a spot.) Wasson and Centella fought after their loss.
4) Centvrión b Fly Warrior, Látigo No Fly Star, so the Mala Hiebra three way match scheduled for a couple weeks ago took place here. Good match.
5) Imperio Negro b Terremoto, Drako, Abortex, Chuey Martinez other participants not confirmed
6) Wotan NC As Charro Canek Jr. & Hijo del Fishman ran in to attack both men.
This was the debut show for the promotion. Ending the show with no finish to the main event is a risky way to start, though the hope is the angle was crazy enough to get people to do the rematch. (Though, this being Mexico, it’s not certain they’ll ever book the rematch.) Fishman and Canek ended up getting dragged away by security, which makes me wonder why they didn’t just finish that match that point. As Charro was somehow triple booked on Sunday, so perhaps he was just done with wrestling at that point. They had a good turnout by Gimnasio Hercules standards, and the Mala Hiebra three way looks good.
The third biggest promotion in the DF area is running their own big show within days of the other two ones. Look at this stretch:
08/28 AAA TripleMania
09/02 CMLL Anniversaro
09/04 IWRG Lupus/Trauma I
09/08 Lucha Underground Season 3 debut
Oddly enough, IWRG’s match is the most uncertain of the three apuesta matches. There’s no way Psycho Clown is losing (nor would it make any sense.) There’s an extremely small chance Dragon Lee is losing, only because CMLL’s always so much higher on La Mascara than anyone else (but really, if they wanted a match to be a setup to La Mascara/Rush, they would’ve just done Pierroth/Mascara.) I don’t ever see Trauma I losing his mask in Arena Naucalpan, at least not in this decade, but Canis Lupus is an IWRG created/owned character and one of the few regular IWRG core guys you could justify getting that sort of win. (Still, it’s 80/20 Trauma.)
Today’s the first CMLL stream in 6 whole days. How did we manage in the before time? The usual Monday Puebla show is a middle chapter in a couple of new feuds. The main event is a strange relevos increible match, with (tecnico) Marco teaming with (rudo) Ultimo Guerrero against (rudo) Shocker and (I don’t even know) Sharlie Rockstar. The weird match is for the weird feud; they’re heading to another Ultimo Guerrero/Shocker match in the near future and this gets them on the opposite sides.
The other ongoing issue, maybe, is in the tercera where Black Tiger and Ares are on opposite sides of a conventional feud. The two Puebla locals only slightly feuded last week, but they’re unusually high in the card and are matched up again, so it must be going somewhere. Tecnico Black Tiger team with Titan & Triton while Ares has Bobby Z & Virus, and it might be the best match on the card.
The semimain also looks promising, with Mascara Dorada, Atlantis and Mistico taking on Cavernario, Felino and Negro Casas. The opening matches look the opposite of promising, with DF rudos who don’t usually produce entertaining matches. The second match has Arkalis & Tigre Rojo Jr. teaming with Pegasso against Espanto Jr., Arkangel de la Muerte, Policeman, while the opener is Centella Roja, Millenium, and Paris against Akuma, Inquisidor and Espiritu Maligno. There are some positive names sprinkled in those matches (Tigre Rojo Jr. is suddenly a regular again) but you might want to start watching about 40 minutes late.
As normal, the Puebla show will air on CMLL.com & YouTube, starting at 9pm CT.
In other upcoming TV news, Mascara Dorada’s second round Cruiserweight Classic match with Taijri will air this Wednesday. It’s been a week or so since the last “Mascara Dorada says he hasn’t signed with WWE, but would if offered” article, so here’s one though it does spoil the outcome of his next CWC match.
CMLL (SAT) 08/13/2016Arena Coliseo
1) Bengala & Leono vs Camorra & Cholo
2) Magnus, Oro Jr., Star Jr. vs Canelo Casas, Hijo del Signo, Nitro
3) Marcela, Princesa Sugehit, Skadi vs La Comandante, La Seductora, Reyna Isis
4) Fuego, Rey Cometa, Valiente vs Bobby Z, Hechicero, Olímpico
5) Carístico, Dragón Lee, Mistico vs Euforia, Mephisto, Último Guerrero
That’s a pretty loaded show for a Saturday. Caristico made a couple appearances in this building for Elite when Arena Mexico was closed down before Dos Leyendas. His last CMLL appearance in Arena Coliseo would’ve been in January 2011, when he faced the same Ultimo Guerrero in a singles match.
CMLL (SUN) 08/14/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Avispón Negro Jr. vs Guerrero de la Muerte
2) Fugaz & Micro vs Destructor & Diplomático
3) Cosmos, Explosivo, Frezzer vs Gran Kenut, Relámpago, Thunder Boy
4) León Blanco, Magnum, Neutrón vs Furia Roja, Maléfico, Ráfaga
5) Forastero, Kempo Dragón, Príncipe Kisho vs Flash II, Star Black, Vaquero Jr.
The Sinaloa guys are back.
CMLL (SUN) 08/14/2016Arena México
1) Metatrón & Sensei vs Apocalipsis & Artillero
2) Ciclón Ramírez, El Bandido, Flyer vs Cancerbero, El Coyote, Raziel
3) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Felino, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado
4) Atlantis, Stuka Jr., Súper Porky vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto
5) Marco Corleone, Valiente, Vangellys vs Pierroth, Rey Escorpión, Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
Bandido showed up on a CMLL show in June, so getting a second appearance puts him ahead of most of the guys who’ve debuted this year. I don’t know this Coyote (though there’s a Facebook profile here); there’s ones in Nuevo Leon and Chihuahua, though this is probably the guy working low level Mexico City area shows since 2013, and worked WMC and Cara Lucha shows more recently. The rookie situation is still very weird.
Arena Mexico/Coliseo appearance count
A lot: El Cuatrero, Fujin, Johnny Idol, Raijin, Sam Adonis, Sanson
3: Forastero (and a lot in Guadalajara), Golden Magic
1: Black Scorpio, Bugambilia, Dinamic Black, Bandido, Fiero*, Grako, Maquiavelo*, Mr. México Jr., Retro, Sanely
also turned up on the Arkangel show
Sanely’s obviously going to be in the “A lot” category soon and Ciclon and Bandido are slowly moving up. That still leaves 14 people who’ve appeared just once or twice; they appeared as many times on Informa as they have on CMLL shows.
This was a shorter week than expected. Next week will be even shorter. I thought about catching up on the watch later pile, then spent a lot of time away from this project. That was probably a good idea.
There’s no mention of a Vangellys/Rey Escorpion singles match, but one is surely coming. I don’t take Sugehit’s challenge too seriously, but there’s a lot of possible midcard apuesta matches if CMLL wants to do them (and most are more interesting than Rey Bucanero/Super Crazy.)
It didn’t occur to me until seeing this video with La Mascara talking about it, but Alvardo cousins are going to main event the major CMLL and AAA events within days of each other, both putting their masks on the line. Psycho Clown and La Mascara are cousins, and teamed with other a lot (with Maximo as the third) from 2001 to 2004 when they all were still wrestling as “Brazo de” Juniors. CMLL got behind of Maximo and La Mascara right away, while Kronos was left behind and never really went anywhere until he became Psycho Clown.
RudoVision interviewed Rush, which LigerFever translated. Rush wants his match with LA Park to be the Anniversary main event, which good luck on that. It is worth wondering if the Dragon Lee/La Mascara match was always supposed to be the Anniversary main event or if Rush/LA Park led to Rush being removed from the match.
ELITE (THU) 08/11/2016Arena México
1) Astral & Eléctrico vs Pequeño Olímpico & Pierrothito
2) El Bandido, Emperador Azteca, Último Ninja vs El Cuatrero, Fresero Jr., Sansón
3) Flamita & Golden Magic vs Argos & Rey Cometa
4) Atlantis vs Volador Jr. [Liga Elite]
5) Carístico, Máscara Dorada, Máximo vs Ephesto, Mephisto, Sharlie Rockstar
6) Último Guerrero vs Rush [Liga Elite]
Elite’s back to doing a lot of intra-CMLL matchups, and Rush should be on this shows near regularly to make up all the match he’s missed in the tournament so far. Both matches should be good, this is the first real singles match between Atlantis & Volador in 3 years, and Ultimo Guerrero’s starting to get to the point where he needs to win some of these.
Flamita was pulled from his last Elite appearance, not by choice of Flamita or Elite, so it’s worth watching to see if he’ll be on this show.
CMLL (FRI) 08/05/2016Arena México [+LuchaTV, CMLL, Kronosport]
1) Robin & Star Jr. b Akuma & Hijo del Signo
2) Fuego, Pegasso, Stigma b Arkángel de la Muerte, Okumura, Sangre Azteca good match
3) Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr., The Panther b Bobby Z, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado money thrown in
4) Stuka Jr. DCOR Gran Guerrero [lightning] both fought outside and ended up pulling each other’s masks.
5) Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible b Kráneo, Ripper, Súper Crazy Bucanero told Super Crazy to leave CMLL or face him in a hair match.
6) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Volador Jr. b Ephesto, La Máscara, Mephisto Dragon Lee finally won, in straight falls. Dragon Lee again challenged to a mask match, and La Mascara accepted this time.
CMLL’s still missing the contract signing and has taught us in the past that the match isn’t official until someone signs a contract, but La Mascara versus Dragon Lee seems about as certain as it could be otherwise. They both were certain about doing the match, and no one – outside the obvious midcard match of Crazy/Bucanero – has been saying the same. It looks like Mascara was DQed for pulling Dragon Lee’s mask in the first, then got away with it on Mistico in the second, only Dragon Lee surprised hi with a German suplex for the win. Mascara had his midsection taped.
This sounds like a good show with those 2/3rd matches and the set up angle for their biggest show of the year. CMLL probably could’ve put it up on YouTube. They did not.
There is less lucha TV this week. Last night’s Veracruz vs America soccer game was washed out and rescheduled for today, bumping Lucha Azteca off the air. They’ve announced they’ll have two episodes next week to make up for it. It’s unclear what will happen with the Sunday replay; it’s still listed on the schedule, though a half hour shorter than the main show normally is (so not everything would air anyway.)
AAA’s helping out by releasing more TV. The taping in Oaxaca will just take up one week of TV, with the three last matches (including the tag title match) airing this evening. The first two matches will not air, but AAA’s already posted the minis match and the mixed trios match.
Fantasma says combining the tecnico & rudo styles is the future of wrestling, so his team with Fenix will definitely be successful. The cruiserweight title shot does not come up. This would be an interesting follow up to their feud if it happened at last year’s TripleMania; they’ve been on pause for about 12 months.
Santo Jr. is listed as debuting in Mexico on 08/18 in Plaza de Toros Torreon. It’s odd place for him to debut, but the Santo family has connections to that area going back to the Espanto Jr. feud, and Santo Jr. surely needs some ring time in low pressure places before coming to Mexico City.
CMLL (FRI) 08/12/2016Arena México
1) Shockercito & Stukita vs Demus 3:16 & Mercurio
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Pegasso, Soberano Jr. vs Disturbio, Skándalo, Virus
3) Ángel de Oro, Guerrero Maya Jr., Titán vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
4) Súper Crazy vs Rey Bucanero [lightning]
5) Atlantis, Stuka Jr., Valiente vs Cavernario, Gran Guerrero, Mr. Niebla
6) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, La Máscara, Último Guerrero
Dragon Lee & La Mascara in the main event again, and probably for the rest of August. At this point, I wonder if Rush is on Tuesday (and not Friday) to avoid confusing the issue.
They’re actually doing Guerrero Maya versus Dragon Rojo on a Friday show, wow. My dream scenario is that’s an apuesta on a second September show, and I have dumb luck to be in Mexico for it. My dreams generally do not come thru. With Stuka & Gran Guerrero also randomly feuding, perhaps we shouldn’t yet rule out cage match for sometime in September.
This schedule confirms there’s no Universal tournament taking place in August. Starting on 08/19 would mean the final would have to be on 09/02, and they’ve already got two singles matches for that day. If they started the week after the Anniversary show, the final would be on the 23rd. They could also forget to do it at all.