IWRG (SUN) 01/03/2016Arena Naucalpan [Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Estrellas del Ring, The Gladiatores]
1) Aramis & Black Dragón b Adrenalina & Atomic Star
2) Hip Hop Man, Imposible, Tony Rivera b Leo, Mike, Rafy Rudos got a hold of the Ninja Turtle shells during the match.
3) Hijo del Pantera, Pantera I, Pantera II b Apolo Estrada Jr., Canis Lupus, Eterno first time these three Panteras have teamed together.
4) Demon Clown, Trauma I, Trauma II b Black Terry, Herodes Jr., Súper Nova Demon Clown returned to IWRG as the mystery luchador. Black Terry replaced Crazy Boy. Herodes Jr. debuted in IWRG here, bled, and feuded with Demon Clown.
5) Danny Casas b Toscano [hair] Danny Casas took falls 2/3 clean to take the win. Toscano took the hair loss and shook Danny’s hand.
Of all the guys IWRG decided to do something with, they picked Danny Casas. Hope it works for them.
Demon Clown was last seen in October 2014. He’s an aging foreign luchador who wasn’t much good. They spent a lot of time teasing a mask match with him, Mascara Ano 2000 Jr. & Hijo de Dos Caras, and then just dropped it. Maybe it’ll be back.
This should be a week of lucha libre announcements and news
NJPW (and CMLL) will announce the lineups for the FantasticaMania tour Tuesday or Wednesday. The announcement will come after NJPW’s 01/05 show, which starts around 12:30pm Mexico City time tomorrow.
AAA should be announcing their Guerra de Titanes card sometime this week. This one isn’t official, but it’s about the distance out from the show we normally get to see card (and it wouldn’t have made sense to do it before now because of the holidays.)
Lucha Underground is back taping this weekend. There are three taping weekends in January to finish out Season 2, and this one will be notable for seeing who’s unable to wrestle due to injury and what detours have to be taken to get around those issues.
Today, though, there’s not much to talk about. There is the Puebla show tonight, which might be the second best streamed wrestling show today. The main event is Sky Team versus Ripper, Kraneo, and Mephisto for the CMLL trios championship. A title change is unlikely, but it’s likely to be the best match on the show. Stigma and Skandalo will meet in a special match; maybe they can prove everyone wrong and have a good fight. The card is definitely iffy; even the opener has Nitro and Arkangel, who probably won’t be doing much except a piledriver the end.
El Siglo de Torreon usually has a few interviews with CMLL La Laguna luchadors during the holidays. This year, they have one with Ultimo Guerrero, who says his injury in October was the first big one of his career. He seems as unsure as everyone else if they’ll be doing his hair versus mask match with Thunder, alluding to a decision being made after FantasticaMania. Guerrero also says not having TV is a problem and they need to use social media and the internet so the fans get to know the newer guys who haven’t been on TV. One of those new guys is Magia Blanca, who’s acknowledged as the former Magnifico I and praised by Guerrero for his hunger. Guerrero says it’s been 10 years since the last (Mistico) boom and hopes the young guys can start another.
Random Lucha Underground note: on his podcast last week, Colt Cabana mentioned Lucha Underground contacted him to sit in for Vampiro on Ultima Lucha. He was busy committed elsewhere and couldn’t do it.
AAA’s store is doing a 20% sale. I wonder who gets the money when someone buys Myzteziz gear? (Answer: no one is buying Myzteziz gear.)
CMLL (SAT) 01/02/2016Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Pequeño Nitro b Aéreo
2) Magnus b Metálico
3) Arkángel de la Muerte b Oro Jr.
4) Sangre Azteca b Hombre Bala Jr.
5) Pólvora b Tritón
6) Estrellita & Princesa Sugehit b La Seductora & Tiffany
7) Hechicero, Niebla Roja, Pierroth b La Máscara, Máximo Sexy, Valiente Pierroth fouled Valiente to get the win. Valiente demanded a singles match with Pierroth (?!?) but Pierroth refused.
Valiente has ascended from opening match luchador to main eventer, has changed his physique from chubby to competition bodybuilder, but nothing he’s done in his career figures to be as much of a challenge as having a singles match with Pierroth.
CMLL ELITE (SUN) 01/03/2016Arena México [+LuchaTV, CMLL]
1) Principe Diamante & Último Dragoncito b Mercurio & Pequeño Violencia
2) Flyer & Kamaitachi b Argos & Karonte Jr. Kamaitachi replaced Pegasso, won (taking falls 2/3), and then attacked Flyer anyway.
3) Dave The Clown & Rothen Clown DQ Guerrero Maya Jr. & Rey Cometa Clowns took 1/3 in the first Arena Mexico match. Maya & Cometa unmasked the Clowns for the win.
4) Trauma I & Trauma II b Cavernario & Felino Trauma took 1/3
5) Cibernético, Mephisto, Sharlie Rockstar DQ Black Warrior, La Máscara, Rush Rush fouled Cibernetico
6) Negro Casas b Carístico Casas took 1/3, sneaking in a mask pull on Caristico for the win.
Caristico lost the main event again. It’s still kind of amazing. Clowns match sounds predictably not good. Canek will be on next week’s show and also will be bad.
CMLL (FRI) 01/01/2016Arena México [CMLL, Cronicas y Leyendas (4), Cronicas y Leyendas (6), luchablog, R de Rudo (Notimex), SuperLuchas] Sin Piedad, 2016
1) Amapola, Dalys, Zeuxis b Estrellita, La Vaquerita, Princesa Sugehit 9:47, rudas took 2/3.
2) Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus b Blue Panther Jr., Esfinge, The Panther 13:43. rudo took 1/3
3) Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Thunder b Atlantis, Marco Corleone, Valiente 10:56. Rudos took 1/3. Thunder was back as normal.
4) Máximo Sexy b Kamaitachi [hair] 23:22. Maximo took 2/3 to take Kamatachi’s hair. Seconds were Hombre Bala Jr. and Okumura, who largely stay out of it. Dr. Zavaleta, who was doubling as the commissioner, checked on Maximo (who had a knee injury aggravated by Kamaitachi early on) during the match and seemed close to stopping it early, but let it go on. Kamaitachi tried faking a foul once, but the referee (Babe Richard) caught him and would not call the DQ. Maximo soon tried the same trick and the referee was going along with it this time. Okumura & Kamaitachi protested, and Maximo stopped faking to cradle Kamaitachi, but only got two. Maximo eventually won cleanly via powerbomb.
5) Cibernético, Último Guerrero, Volador Jr. b Carístico, Mistico, Rush [Relevos Increíbles] 9:57. Ultimo Guerrero’s side took 1/3. A blinded Caristico, covering up after his mask was pulled off, tried to foul him but instead got Rush. Volador & Cibernetico took advantage for the win and were fast friends post match. Cibernetico & Volador challenged Rush & Caristico to a tag match next week. Rush had no problem fighting, but not with Caristico and attacked him. Caristico accepted the match, with or without Rush.
6) Negro Casas b Super Parka [hair] 12:49. Casas took 2/3. Volador and Puma (who had been guest commentator all night) were seconds. Finish saw Super Parka block a casita for what could’ve been three, but Puma pulled out the referee to stop the count. Super Parka turned to argue and Negro slipped in a foul (straight into an inside cradle) for the win. Volador attacked both Puma & Casas after the match, and made it clear that he was coming after Casas. Parka complained about the way he was beat, but Casas insisted all was fair in lucha libre.
Show seemed better than last week, with Maximo/Kamaitachi being a standout match and the semimain going better than the same on the last show. Volador definitely being a rudo to end the semimain segment and being a tecnico to end the main event was strange. Stream had no problems the entire night. Attendance was down from last week, with CMLL never doing the big crowd shots for a large turnout.
Rush, Caristico and Cibernetico went from here to Arena Neza for a triangle match, where Caristico won when Rush pulled off his mask. Punker Bizarrro lost his mask to Neza Kid in a cage match, and was revealed to be Israel Pina Vazquez, 19 years a luchador, from Mexico City.
Cara Lucha (FRI) 01/01/2016Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Estado de México [+LuchaTV, Estrellas del Ring]
1) Centella Atómica b Jr. Madrid
2) Lady Apache DQ Ludark Shaitan Ludark replaced Keira, originally announced as the mystery person. Ludark attacked the ref for the DQ.
3) Dragón Celta b Arez Money thrown in. Arez had been rumored as dead on Facebook for the last week (a Fulgor I prank) but came back to life to lose to new-ish Dragon Celta. Arez wants a rematch in lucha extreme.
4) Toro Negro Jr. b Látigo Good & bloody match. Toro Negro Jr. is Latigo’s old trainer and upset him for the win. Latigo immediately asked for a mask vs mask match on the next show, and Toro Negro accepted.
5) Cavernario & Hechicero b Trauma I & Trauma II Good match.
6) Pagano DCOR Sharly Rockstar light tubes, chairs and other weapons were all legal, but staying out of the ring for twenty seconds was not, so the match ended in a double countout of the ring. Challenges followed.
Toro Negro beating Latigo is strange, but makes sense if one of them is really losing their mask on the show. Looked like a good turnout.
Psycho Circus beat Parka Negra, Taurus and Texano in the Arena Lopez Mateos main event. Fireball ended up working as a replacement mini. It sounds like it was a good match but weird Fireball didn’t have anything better to do on what was a sort of busy day.
CMLL (FRI) 01/08/2016Arena México
1) Bengala & Leono vs Camorra & Espiritu Negro
2) Esfinge, Pegasso, Stigma vs Canelo Casas, Okumura, Virus
3) Silueta vs Dalys [lightning]
4) La Máscara, Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy vs Kamaitachi, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
5) Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Rey Escorpión, Thunder
6) Carístico & Rush vs Cibernético & Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
This is likely the last Friday night show prior to FantasticaMania for those who are going. The first show is 01/17, so they’ll probably be on the way on 01/16. Caristico, Rush and Cibernetico are going, and a singles match among those guys seem possible for the two weeks where they’re going to be running low on people.
Those FantasticaMania lineups should be coming this week, announced after NJPW’s 01/05 show.
Thunder/UG is back, but only for one week for those reasons. Kamaitachi still being around is confusing; we’re into uncharted territory with him. It’d make sense if this was his last show too, but not sure why they wouldn’t just let him go home a week early rather than do a meaningless trios match.
Silueta hasn’t been around much and never gets singles match – her last Arena Mexico one was in 2011 versus Ray – so that sticks out as strange. Still no mention of Marcela.
Dragon Lee is equally missing. He was battling his own knee injury after his feud with Kamaitachi, so maybe they gave him a few weeks off to heal up before heading to Japan.
What happened: Maximo & Negro Casas defeated Kamaitachi & Super Parka for their hair in separate singles matches. Volador declared war on all of the Casas family for their cheating in the main event. Caristico accidentally fouled Rush leading to both losing the semimain, and teasing a Rush/Caristico vs Voaldor/Cibernetico. (Volador is a busy guy.) Thunder still exists
What was good: The Kamaitachi/Maximo match is the best match of the year. It’ll still be a really good match when there’s more than one day.
Where can I watch it:Matches from this show will be on Azteca on January 23rd.
Azteca and LATV are currently scheduled to air the same episode, though maybe they’ll have one different match than other. I have no idea what’s up with ClaroSports/Titanes el Ring. 52MX is guessing they keep airing Tuesday episodes.
Hey! I don’t know what state I’ll be in when this posts – physically, emotionally, geographically are all open questions – but New Year’s Day is the start of year 13 for this blog (more or less.)
To celebrate, I’m posting a match I got to see live this year that I really liked, and maybe you’ll like it as well. It’s Centvrión & Látigo vs Fly Warrior & Mr. Leo from the September 16, CaraLucha show.
It’s not included in the video, but this was the match that led to Mala Hierba group forming in angle right after the match. I’ve really enjoyed their matches while catching up with matches the rest of the year, and it was cool to be there when they got started. And it’s still a really fun match without all of that.
The video might be unlisted, but feel free to pass around the link if you like it. I’ll turn it public when I get a chance.
(I may be around for iPPV, but probably no news post today.)
CMLL has an iPPV tomorrow. I’m probably not writing a preview tomorrow! Here’s the card
CMLL (FRI) 01/01/2016Arena México
1) Estrellita, La Vaquerita, Princesa Sugehit vs Amapola, Dalys, Zeuxis
2) Blue Panther Jr., Esfinge, The Panther vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus
3) Atlantis, Marco Corleone, Valiente vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Thunder
4) Máximo Sexy vs Kamaitachi [hair]
5) Carístico, Mistico, Rush vs Cibernético, Último Guerrero, Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
6) Negro Casas vs Super Parka [hair]
It reads like Maximo is hurting but probably will still wrestle on Friday. Maybe he takes some time off afterwards? He’s certainly going to win. Parka beating Casas isn’t impossible, but like maybe 5% possible because Negro Casas has some weird losses and they could always drag this out to have someone else beat Super Parka down the line. Toughest pick is if Thunder will actually be in his match. I guess so. Furia de Titanes reposted the Super Parka/Negro Casas hype article from the other day, and one pushing the relevos incredibles rematch.
People have reported varied results on getting refunds from cleeng over last week’s failed show. If you were going to get one, you probably have heard back. It looks like those who asked for them right away got them (in credit.) Those who waited until later were told that since it’s up to watch now, you’re not entitled to one. (That was my case.) I assume it’s not going to fail twice in a row but I wouldn’t put any money on that. If you’re on the fence about getting the show, a) probably don’t get the show and/or b) maybe air until the women’s match starts to see if it’s working for everyone before putting your money down.
AAA’s also doing their year end awards on Twitter this year. New Star of the year has Lady Shani, Taurus, Garza Jr. and Hijo del Pirata Morgan. Luchadora of the year picks are Taya, Goya Kong, Lady Shani and Faby Apache. Tecnico and rudo are coming later.
The 01/17 La Liga de La Justica show will have Misterioso versus Herodes Jr. in a bull terrier match. Someone should actually film the process of picking two names out and a stipulation out of hats, because I’m like 90% sure that’s how that one happened. Not that it’ll be bad, but I have no understanding why those people would be facing in that match.
A look back at the year of wrestling in Cuernavaca.
CMLL (TUE) 01/05/2016Arena México
1) Acero & Angelito vs Pequeño Nitro & Pequeño Universo 2000
2) Flyer, Robin, Star Jr. vs Akuma, Artillero, Espanto Jr.
3) Estrellita, La Vaquerita, Princesa Sugehit vs Amapola, La Seductora, Zeuxis
4) Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Sagrado [lightning]
5) Blue Panther Jr. vs Puma, Magnus, Skándalo, Hombre Bala Jr., El Cuatrero, Oro Jr., Hijo del Signo [Copa Junior, semifinal]
6) Marco Corleone, Máximo Sexy, Stuka Jr. vs Kráneo, Niebla Roja, Ripper
Kind of a lackluster card for what should be a big date. Main event is a sort of rematch; perhaps they’re really doing Ripper/Maximo soon.
Copa Junior starts as promised, though Hombre Bala is in Super Halcon’s place. Maybe he’s just out for the moment since he missed Tuesday as well, or maybe they didn’t want a repeat winner. Puma’s such the obvious favorite that I suspect Cuatrero or someone else off the board will actually win.
CMLL (TUE) 01/05/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Divino & Metatrón vs El Chakal & Thunder Boy
2) Omar Brunetti, Sensei, Starman vs Disturbio, Maléfico, Metálico
3) Esfinge, Pegasso, Stigma vs Okumura, Sangre Azteca, Virus
4) Ángel de Oro, Rey Cometa, Titán vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Hechicero, Pólvora
5) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys
Sky Team against sort of TGR in the main event. Semimain could be fun.
The Crash (FRI) 02/12/2016Auditorio de Tijuana, Tijuana, Baja California
1) Mirage vs Septimo Dragon, Black Boy, Jinzo, Enigma, Proximo [The Crash Junior]
2) Ángel Metálico vs Hijo de Pirata Morgan
3) Genio Del Aire, Golden Magic, Súper Nova vs Star Boy, Tony Casanova, Zarco
4) Monsther Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown vs Mr. Maldito, Taurus (AAA), Texano Jr.
5) Blue Demon Jr., Fenix (AAA), Rey Horuz vs John Morrison, Pentagón Jr., Teddy Hart
Teddy Hart being in Mexico stands out (and probably is a question mark.) “Morrison” being listed under that name seems to say something about how much the person putting this together is actually paying attention to AAA.
Mr. Maldito and Psycho Clown have been feuding on all of these shows, may eventually have a mask match.
CMLL (TUE) 12/29/2015Arena México [CMLL]
1) Akuma & Camorra b Flyer & Leono
2) Astral, Fantasy, Último Dragoncito b Demus 3:16, Pequeño Olímpico, Pierrothito moved down to the segunda. Astral beat Pierrothito
3) Starman b Arkángel de la Muerte [lightning] moved up a spot, with Starman defeating Arkangel.
4) El Cuatrero, Okumura, Sansón b Hombre Bala Jr., Oro Jr., Stigma Debuts for Sanson & Cuatrero, the sons of Cien Caras. They took 1/3 to win their debut, Cuaterero beating Stigma to win it.
5) Boby Z, Gran Guerrero, Pierroth b Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa, Tritón Gran Guerrero was listed in Sagrado’s place in the preview. Rudos took 2/3, Gran Guerrero beating Triton and Pierroth dropping Cometa with a package piledriver. Cometa was stretchered out.
6) Kráneo, Mephisto, Ripper b La Máscara, Máximo Sexy, Stuka Jr. Mascara did not get along with his partners. Rudos took 1/3, Ripper fouling Maximo and pinning him to send him into Friday’s mask loss on a loss.
Maximo said he has a ligament issue, and will have to see the doctor to see if he’s ok to wrestle on Friday. I’d assume he’ll be fine, but missing the Kamataichi hair match on Friday would be a disaster. They probably couldn’t reschedule it at this point, they’d probably just need to pick someone to take his spot. (There’s little chance CMLL will announce a change ahead of time, given how little they announce.) Again, I’d assume he’ll be wrestling until someone says he’s not.
You’d think maybe Maximo should be winning before being in a big match on Friday. That’s just CMLL. Casas didn’t win on Monday either. Crowd was bigger than usual for a Tuesday.
No lineup for next week, so not sure if the Astral title match idea was dropped or if they’ll do it despite everything.
A promotion called La Liga de Justica is running Coacalco on January 17.. They’ve run a few events in Puebla’s Arena Coliseo San Ramon – December 12 and December 5th are most recent – with a mix of indy names and locals. Maybe the same here. LuchaMemes/Chario already announced they’re running that building on January 24th, the week after.