taped 2014-07-03 @ Arena Xalapa, Xalapa, Veracruz
Read the rest of this entry »
It was a boring two weeks. Just go read the last one again.
- CMLL continued it’s build towards the Juicio Final match with Rush and Negro Casas and their various partners continue to feud. Rush & Shocker kept the tag team titles over Rush & La Sombra. Casas is still the underdog in the hair match, but CMLL seems to be teasing the idea that an angry Rush might get himself DQed and cost himself his hair.
- TripleMania is just around the corner, but AAA itself is in a very quiet period. This past week’s TV and this upcoming week’s seem to have little in-ring build to their biggest show of the year (though they’ve stuffed the show with a lot of vignettes and video packages to fix it.) A three week stretch without a new TV taping comes to an end this weekend, and the full TripleMania card should be announced next week. Text and video promos have started teasing a cage match with Electroshock, Jeff Jarrett, La Parka and many people yet to be named – it’s possible there will be an angle to also include Myzteziz in the match on Sunday’s taping, which would explain why he hasn’t had a taping yet. Electroshock also hinted at bringing in a surprise to counter Karen Jarrett; Electroshock’s wife Lady Apache rejoining AAA would fit well for a couples feud.
- AAA’s TV also revealed TripleMania will be on Sky PPV in Mexico after all – both SummerSlam and TripleMania will air on PPV in Mexico on the same night thru the same provider. AAA also officially anounces TripleMania would also be on iPPV @ triplemaniatv.com. It using a new provider no one knows anything about and the techinical info mentions they’ll only offer refunds if 95% of the show fails to air. (If 12 minutes of 4 hour show airs, they get to keep all the money – though that would be 12 more minutes than last year.) It’s $13 if you are brave enough to purchase it by the end of the month.
- WWE announced they would return to Mexico on 10/18 (Mexico City) and 10/19 (Monterrey). Cesaro and Rosa Mendes came to both cities for press conferences (and not Alberto del Rio or Sin Cara or Rey Misterio Jr.)
- Dragon Rojo’s new start as a tecnico started with a match against fellow misplaced tecnico Volador. It did not work at all. Rojo is more normally feuding with former partner Rey Escorpion. CMLL continues to tease but not announce Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero as the Anniversary main event, and a Rey Escorpion/Dragon Rojo mask vs hair match looms as the most obvious monkey wrench they could throw in.
- AAA’s Fenix has been missing shows with what was announced as a fractured tibia. He’s supposed to be putting his Fusion title on the line at TripleMania, but it sounds like the injury isn’t as bad as it sounds and he’ll be back in time.
- Aeroboy beat Black Terry to tie up series of matches on ChilangaMask shows.
- Hijo de Dos Caras won the vacant IWRG IC Heavyweight Championship in what reads like a disaster of a ladder match. They broke all the (cheap) ladders they had, and then they could get the belt untied. No one hand to do a job so the luchadors were happy, which is truly the important thing.
- People who kept their titles Delta & Guerrero Maya (Arena Coliseo Tag, disappointing match), Virus (world lightweight), Guerreros (world trios), Daga (Cruiserweight title on an AAA spot show in Tijuana). Various Guadalajara titles changed hands, which doesn’t really matter.
- Loco Max lost his hair in a match he wasn’t supposed to be in, which is a very Loco Max (or Monterrey) story.
- Konnan Big had a match.
CMLL (TUE) 07/22/2014 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Magnus & Sensei b Apocalipsis & Ramstein
2) Demus 3:16, Pequeño Olímpico, Pierrothito b Angelito, Astral, Eléctrico
Rudos took 1/3, including a Martillo Negro on Angelito.
3) Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus b Cachorro, Stigma, Tritón
Rey Cometa, Fuego, Ephesto and Misterioso were subbed out for Cachorro, Stigma, Raziel and Cancerbero on Monday. Rudos took 1/3.
4) Fuego, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. b Ephesto, Hechicero, Misterioso II
Replaces a Felino/Stuka Jr. lightning match. Tecs took 2/3, but Cometa needed medical help after hurting his knee in the third fall.
5) Cavernario, Rey Bucanero, Terrible b Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada, Titán
Rudos took 1/3, Cavernario beating Titan in both rudo falls. Cavernario asked for his title shot against Titan, which he won with the En Busca de un Idolo tournament.
6) Euforia b Valiente
Euforia took 1/3, sneaking in a foul.
I’m not really sure why you can’t do a clean finish in Euforia & Valiente, two guys just on the fringes of top mix. I think lucha libre programmers feel like having ‘controversial’ finishes actually add value – it gives the fans something to be emotional about as they leave – but I don’t think it actually works out that way.
Cometa seemed to be limping a little bit on Sunday, so this might have been a knee injury that was bugging him for a while. He’s a high flying luchador, he’s definitely got knee issues that have been bugging him for a while.
CMLL (TUE) 07/22/2014 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Exterminador & Virgo b Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno
Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Dark Angel, Estrellita, Silueta b Amapola, Dalys, Tiffany
Tiffany replaced Zeuxis. Tecnicas took 1/3.
3) Boby Zavala & Olímpico b Sky Kid & Smaker © [OCCIDENTE TAG]
Rudos took falls 1/3 to win the championship. Sky Kid and Smaker fall on their third defense.
4) Ángel de Oro, Sagrado, Super Porky b Kráneo, Mr. Águila, Ripper
Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Gran Guerrero, Shocker, Último Guerrero b Atlantis, Blue Panther, Volador Jr.
Rudos took 2/3 with the usual Atlantis/UG feuding.
That tag title change is inexplicable. Sky Kid & Smaker are essentially the only tecnico tag team here and Olimpico is Olimpico so why even bother? Guadalajara booking works on a level I clearly do not understand. Olimpico did get a shirt that wasn’t ripped/stretched a few weeks ago, which was clearly the key to this title run. (And the people/person who makes these decisions has consisently valued Olimpico much higher than everyone else.)
CZW’s Masada will be working the 09/20 ChilangaMask show in Arena Roberto Paz.
WWS posted results for their own show on their own Facebook site, becomes my new favorite indy promotion.
Segunda Caida reviews Averno, Mephisto, Último Guerrero vs Damián 666, Misterioso II, Mr. Águila.
Koko Viper lost his hair to Memo Valles in a Monterrey cage match. Match didn’t get started until 12:22 AM because the show was running so long (and people left before it did.)
Bio of Oaxaca’s el Zombie.
CMLL (TUE) 07/29/2014 Arena México
1) Aéreo & Stukita vs Mercurio & Pierrothito
2) Dark Angel, Goya Kong, Lluvia vs Dalys, La Seductora, Tiffany
3) Dragon Lee, Pegasso, Starman vs Kamaitachi, Okumura, Virus
4) Ángel de Oro, Sagrado, Stuka Jr. vs Boby Zavala, Rey Bucanero, Terrible
5) Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada, Super Porky vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja
6) Titán © vs Cavernario [MEX WELTER]
Titan’s fifth defense
Titan and Cavernario getting a main event is unusual. CMLL won’t usually book national title matches as the last match unless it’s involving long running stars. Then again, there’s not a lot else going on this show.
No lightning match again. Put the opener on the internet!
CMLL (TUE) 07/29/2014 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Brillante & El Divino vs Acertijo & Magnum
2) Leo & Metatrón vs Canelo Casas & Infierno
3) Fuego, Omar Brunetti, Tritón vs Disturbio, Maléfico, Ráfaga
4) Princesa Sugehit vs Princesa Blanca [lightning]
5) Black Panther, Blue Panther, Cachorro vs Felino, Puma, Tiger
6) La Máscara, La Sombra, Rush vs Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero
Indeserables vs Negra/UG, Panthers vs Cats (Felino instea of Negro Casas.) One more Princesas match, Blanca’s potential final match ever in Guadalajara.
Shows Watched But Nothing Made The List
AAA on Televisa: 2014-07-12
CMLL Guerreros del Ring on 52MX: 2014-07-12
CMLL on CadenaTres: 2014-07-12
CMLL on Terra: 2014-07-13
CMLL on Fox Sports (Mexico): 2014-07-13
Matches To Watch Later
CMLL Puebla: 2014-07-13
taped 2014-06-30 @ Arena Puebla
Black Tiger, Milenium, Paris vs Centauro de Fuego, Rey Apocalipsis, Toro Bill Jr.:
Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Stigma vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Virus:
Asturiano vs Pequeño Warrior for the mask and for the hair:
Shocker vs Rush
CMLL (MON) 07/21/2014 Arena Puebla [Periodico Enfoque]
1) Rey Apocalipsis & Toro Bill Jr. b Black Tiger & Milenium
2) Pegasso & Starman b King Jaguar & Siki Ozama Jr.
Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Princesa Blanca b Princesa Sugehit [lightning]
Blanca used a mask pull to win.
4) Blue Center, Boby Zavala, El Cavernario b Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Tigre Rojo Jr.
Best match of the night.
5) Máximo, Rush, Super Porky DQ Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
Felino replaced Dragon Rojo Jr. Rush got ticked off and fouled Negro Casas again.
6) Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero © b Atlantis, Valiente, Volador Jr. [CMLL TRIOS]
Guerreros took 2/3, with Atlantis and UG directly beating each other in each fall. Second defense for the Guerreros.
Attendance looked pretty good, thought not a sell out. They have to be setting up Atlantis versus Ultimo Guerrero for Anniversario, or I have no idea what CMLL is doing. (I have no idea what CMLL is doing.)
CMLL made it’s usual Monday card updates – sort of. The Arena Mexico lineup page hasn’t been updated, but the prose preview for tonight’s show has a few different matches than had been announced. The Stuka/Felino lightning match is gone (and Felino is not booked; maybe last night was a makeup), with a new trios match of Fuego/Stuka/Cometa vs Ephesto/Misterioso/Hechicero taking it’s place. Everyone but Stuka & Hechicero were originally booked in the tercera, so Cachorro, Stigma, Raziel and Cancerbero are added onto the card (teaming with Triton & Virus in what should be a really good match.) There’s no lightning match, which leaves CMLL.com with no new match to post in week 2 of posting matches, but maybe they’ll choose the opener since it’s unlikely to air.
The main event remains Valiente vs Euforia, a first time ever singles match between the runners up from first two En Busca de un Idolo tournaments. (Their first ever known match up of any kind was back in 2006, an Arena Coliseo opener with Molotov and Zayco.) It seems like a makeup match for Valiente missing out on the Mephisto match. Guadalajara has the odd Sky Kid & Smaker vs Boby Zavala & Olimpico tag title match.
There was a farewell party for Gimnasio Gloria on Sunday; the lucha/boxing closing down after 90 years. The owner of the building says he was losing money. XMW had been running the building in the last couple of years, and that’s the place Astro de Plata was severely injured. There are good memories too but that’s the one that came to mind.
Rob has highlights of 04/29/14 CMLL.
ChilangaMask is headed to Queretaro in September.
Shocker & Negro Casas are #1 in CMLL’s top 10 list.
Psycho Clown talks up his match with Texano Jr.
Rey Horus talks his visit to Naucalpan.
A profile of Lucha Libre Femenil.
CMLL (MON) 07/28/2014 Arena Puebla
1) Black Tiger & Meyer vs El Rebelde & Fuerza Chicana
2) Astral & Eléctrico vs Demus 3:16 & Espíritu Maligno
3) Dragon Lee, Hombre Bala Jr., Súper Halcón Jr. vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Siki Ozama Jr.
4) Dragón Rojo Jr., Stigma, Valiente vs Ephesto, Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
5) Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Blue Center [mask]
6) La Máscara, La Sombra, Rush vs Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Shocker
This match probably finishes off both Arena Puebla anniversary season and Blue Center. Young Tigre Rojo Jr. (or Blue Center, I guess) would join Stigma, Asturiano and Espiritu Maligno as Arena Puebla regulars who got big wins over the last year. There’s a lot more big wins being handed out here, but it does feel like a conscious effort to promote the locals more. Maybe Lestat should’ve stuck around? Or maybe he knew better if he was going to be in the winning group or not.
I joked about turning Espiritu Maligno into a mini to fill in for Pequeno Violencia and they’re pretty much doing it in the second. Bring him to Mexico City!
No Puebla – I didn’t get it recorded. I had a really nice streak there too…
YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYyNnOBGWP7SaRxzHtCciYJbE6oEYLLyx
AAA on Televisa: 2014-07-19
taped 2014-07-03 @ Arena Xalapa, Xalapa, Veracruz
1) Dinastía & Octagoncito vs Mini Histeria & Mini Psycho Clown
2) Alebrije, Argenis, Ludxor vs Gran Apache, Machine Rocker, Soul Rocker
3) Monsther Clown, Murder Clown, Myzteziz, Psycho Clown vs Averno, Chessman, Daga, Zorro
Cara a Cara/Ending
CMLL Guerreros del Ring on 52MX: 2014-07-19
taped 2014-07-08 @ Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
Full Show: http://ul.to/yxa618yr
1) Omar Brunetti, Sky Kid, Smaker vs Boby Zavala, Olímpico, Sangre Azteca
2) Máximo, Super Porky, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Gran Guerrero, Pierroth
3) La Máscara, La Sombra, Rush vs Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible
CMLL on CadenaTres: 2014-07-19
taped 2014-07-15 @ Arena México
1) Hombre Bala Jr., Oro Jr., Súper Halcón Jr. vs El Rebelde, Hooligan, Metálico
Dark Angel Fitness section
2) Dragon Lee, Sagrado, Starman vs Okumura, Skándalo, Virus
3) Black Panther, Blue Panther, Cachorro vs Puma, Tiger, Vangellys
4) Cavernario, Euforia, Mr. Niebla vs Máximo, Titán, Valiente
CMLL on Fox Sports (Mexico): 2014-07-20
taped 2014-07-11 @ Arena México
1) Marco Corleone, Máximo, Rush vs Cavernario, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero
Mid Show Intro
2) Dark Angel, Estrellita, Marcela vs Amapola, Princesa Blanca, Zeuxis
3) La Sombra vs Shocker
CMLL on Terra: 2014-07-20
taped 2014-07-20 @ Arena Coliseo
1) Black Panther & Flyer vs Cholo & Espanto Jr.
2) Angelito, Eléctrico, Shockercito vs Mercurio, Pequeño Olímpico, Pierrothito
3) Oro Jr., Starman, Tritón vs Cancerbero, Metálico, Raziel
4) Blue Panther vs Boby Zavala in a lightning match
5) Ángel de Oro, Rey Cometa, Titán vs Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys
6) Marco Corleone, Máximo, Rush vs Euforia, Mr. Niebla, Niebla Roja
IWRG Zona XXI: 2014-07-20
taped 2014-07-13 @ Arena Naucalpan
1) Látigo & Metaleon vs Anubis Black & Hijo De La Bestia
2) Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Veneno vs Relámpago, Trauma I, Trauma II in a relevos increíbles match
3) Diva Salvaje, Súper Nova, Toscano vs Eterno, Fuerza Guerrera, X-Fly
4) Hijo De Dos Caras & Máscara Sagrada vs Demon Clown & Hijo de Máscara Año 2000
Noches de Coliseo: 2014-07-20
taped 2014-07-13 @ Arena Coliseo Monterrey
1) Cirio Negro I, Cirio Negro II, Cirio Negro III, Hijo de la Muerte vs 30-30, Baby Power, Jack (Monterrey), Mr. Rebelde
2) Dark Cuervo, Dark Scoria, Dark Spíritu vs Carta Brava Jr. (AAA), Demon Rocker, Steve Pain
3) Desafio & Panthro vs Gato Fantasma & Vaquero Romo
http://ul.to/780u7pfa - missing the second fall
IWRG (SUN) 07/20/2014 Arena Naucalpan [Estrellas del Ring, IWRG]
1) Atomic Star & Electro Boy b Alfa & Omega
2) Guerrero Mixtico & Hip Hop Man b Alan Extreme & Dragón Celestial
Alan Extreme challenged Guerrero Mixtico a hair match, but Guerrero declared Alan wasn’t near his level.
3) Apolo Estrada Jr., Avisman, El Hijo del Diablo b Emperador Azteca, Imposible, Metaleon
Tecnicos lost, challenged for a (Mexico State) trios title shot and the Gringos accepted.
4) Bestia 666, Damián 666, Eterno b Golden Magic, Relámpago, Rey Horus
Rey Horuz looked good in his debut.
5) Hijo De Dos Caras b LA Park and Máscara Sagrada and Pirata Morgan and Demon Clown and Dr. Wagner Jr. [IWRG IC HEAVY, Ladder]
Probably first ever IWRG ladder match for the vacant championship. (Vampiro last won the title and immediately retired.) They broke the only two ladders which could be used to climb to get the belts. They found a third ladder, the kind you lean against a wall, and Pirata Morgan and two referees held the ladder up so Hijo de Dos could climb it. Dos couldn’t get the belt untied from the rope for a long time, but was eventually declared the champion. Match sounds like a disaster, Tercera Caida called it a match with a lot of errors.
That’s probably much how that match sounded it was going to go. (That was the wrong group to have in a ladder match too.) At least Hijo de Dos will likely be around to defend this belt at some point.
The tercera result makes no sense to me.
Estrellas del Ring has more details on last afternoon’s ChilangaMask show. Besides Aeroboy/Terry III, they also set up Traumas vs Mohicano Sr/Piel Roja in a two masks vs mask/hair match. Not sure when, but that gives them a bigger match down the line. Hormiga/Arez originally ended in a double countout of the ring, but they restarted the match and Arez won. Psico Kid threw his mask to Karma to draw a DQ in that trios match. It reads like the the Terry/Aero & Belial/Impulso matches were the best matches, with Zoom Driver/Carissma getting over because it’s different style.
Konnan says AAA is taping the El Rey show in August. No more details than that.
Myzteziz & Angel Metalico (replacing Fenix) defeated Hijo del Fantasma & Averno in Tijuana. It seems like Fenix is being held off non-TV shows but may still end up working in Ecatepec. Daga successfully defended his Cruiserweight title against Eterno, Australian Suicide, Pentagon Jr. and Willie Mack.
Arena Puebla has the Guerreros defending the trios titles against Atlantis, Volador and Valiente. A title change seems possible to keep the Atlantis/UG feud going, but the Guerreros are still the favorite to just retain and keep the status quo. Princesa Sugehit and Princesa Blanca have what appears to be their one and only singles match in the undercard.
TKD writes about the value of original masks.
The latest Konnan Big appearance in Arena Coliseo Monterrey seems to have drawn well.
Totem II won the Veracruz Welterweight championship from Vengador Radioactivo in Arena Xalapa.
Lucha Libre in Japan
07/20 Dragon Gate: Flamita (c) b Dragon Kid [BRAVE GATE] – third defense
Flamita is listed on cards back in Mexico in August, so he’s going to be holding this belt for a while longer.
Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask IV [O] b Super Crazy & Matt Striker [X] [JTL] – Crazy/Striker start 0-1, next match 07/28
Taiji Ishimori & Astushi Kotoge [O] b Rocky Lobo & Jizno [X] [JTL] – Lobo/Jinzo are now 0-2, next match 07/24
Which Mexican team will get a win first? (Probably the Crazy/Striker one, because they set up Crazy as the next singles challenger earlier.)