AAA announced the fourth match for TripleMania: a multi team match for the now vacant tag team titles. (The reason given is no defenses, not a Vampiro retirement.) The teams announced are Fenix & Drago, Psicosis & Daga, Crazy Boy & Joe Lider, Jack Evans & Angelico and WWL’s Los Mamitos (Sexy B and Mr. E – who was Erik Escobar in WWE for about a month; both are more known in WWC). This is the usual bit of AAA packing of both packing a bunch of extra midcarders on the card, and putting the guys who want to do matches built around weapon spots together with the guys who want their own moves to have the big impact.
Daga being Psicosis’ partner – instead of Halloween or even Ricky Marvin – is a surprise since that would mean his match with Axel is not happening at TripleMania. Axel/Daga was one of the few midcard feud AAA’s been building on TV (some of the tag teams have been facing off, but there’s been no suggestion a title match was coming) and it’s weird how much of a disconnect there is between TripleMania and the TV before TripleMania. It still is possible Daga gets pulled out of this match to face Axel. Also, contrary to what WWL was saying, Los Mamitos aren’t going for the WWL Tag Team Titles on this show, so it’s quite likely Monster Pain is on the show but not defending his title either.
It sounds like the press conference for TripleMania is Tuesday in Arena Ciudad de Mexico. It’s likely we’ll have more of the card then (though they seem to be rolling it out a match a day on the web this week.) If Dr. Wagner is headed back to AAA TV – and Dr. Lucha seemed to think so too on his podcast – he probably should be making an appearance there.
AAA’s also put up an English language version of their TripleMania commercial.
Pesadilla announced on last night’s Tercera Caida that he’s giving up the DTU championship because he’s headed to NOAH for three months. Pesadilla has been missing from DTU for a while (even missing the last title defense), and he seems to quickly mention an injury at the beginning of the interview. DTU isn’t really a promotion built around their main title, so it’s a little unclear why he had had to give up the title. Pesadilla said it was the title match in Veracruz which got him this opportunity. A three month tour (I’ve seen two elsewhere) would include NOAH’s Junior Tag Team tournament in July. If Nieto del Santo is over in NOAH by then, maybe there’s a very strange tag team of Pesadilla and Nietro del Santo coming. DTU says they’ll fill the title at their show Saturday; I’d assume the match with Joe Lider, Cíclope, Crazy Boy, Jhony, Dement Extreme, Black Fire and Sick Boy is now for the vacant DTU title, but it’s not said.
Perros del Mal announced they’ll run a 5th Anniversary show on 06/09. That’s not that far away. No location is announced. Perro, Canek, Wagner, Cibernetico, Psicosis, Daga, Ricky Marvin, Trauma I, Trauma II, Faby Apache, and Mary Apache are announced for the show.
Black Terry Jr. has a clip of the Black Terry/Traumas vs Tuareg brawl, where Black Terry slaps Isis so hard she loses her mask.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
This week’s AAA Fusion is also up.
DJ Spectro writes about luchadors who had great early success and then disappeared.
Luchas 2000 668 (2013-04-22)
- JCR’s usual opening page recap of randomly chosen past Arena Mexico Anniversaro shows is useful for figuring out which were meant to be Anniversary shows. Here, the 12th (04/26/1968, Huracan Ramirez takes Enfermero’s mask), 19th (05/25/1975, Perro Aguayo takes Ray Mendoza’s hair), 20th (04/23/1976, Fishman unmasks el Faraon), 36th (04/03/1992), Blue Panther unmasks Love Machine) and 50th (04/14/2006, Dark Angel unmasks Amapola) are all mentioned.
- a 2 page feature on Pro Wrestling Revolution, introducing the group (before Santo & Demon won their tag titles)
- Apolo Estrada talks about his upcoming appearance for AAA, feels more loyal to IWRG than Monterrey but notes he’s been in IWRG for two years without getting a title shot.
- A face to face interview teasing a feud between Angel and R-15, like it was 1997 all over again. R-15 wants to come to IWRG to confront Angel, but that’s gone nowhere.
- Signo thinks his son can beat Metalico.
Luchas 2000 669 (2013-04-29)
- The Hector Garza show gets a nice two page spread.
- Oriental is interviews about his independent career. He’s happy with it and pointed out he’s traveled to the US (for Lucha Libre USA) and is headed to Canada
- Mini Cibernetico celebrates 10 years of being Mini Cibernetico.
- a recap of the 04/21 CMLL Sunday show gives special mention to Mangus, saying he’s a great luchador and it’s only a question of time.
- Fantasma wants Mephisto or Dragon Rojo’s mask.
- Dinamiko was thrilled to team with his maestro Black Tiger (Puebla.) Tiger is happy guys from he’s teaching – Meyer too – are making their way to Arena Puebla. He’s been wrestling for 25 years and would like to wrestle for five more.
- Namajague says he’s not returning to Japan until he gets revenge on Rey Cometa.
- Rey Escorpion says he considers Bobby Zavala a Revolucionario del Terror, but hasn’t actually asked Dragon Rojo or Polvora about the idea. Isn’t this exact thing why you quit Ultimo Guerrero’s group?
Luchas 2000 670 (2013-05-06)
- an interview with Amenaza Infernal Jr. includes no quotes, but does include him his IWCL Heavyweight Championship belt with the name tag “Vacante” on it.
- The TxT show gets 12 pages. The magazine is 40 pages, including the covers. It does mean we get get a detailed interview with the mystery Posiedon from the opener. He’s 18 years old, from Torreon, and says he was taught by Diabolico I and Arana del Futuro. Poseidon explains he was watching a Stukita match one day, was impressed, and then found out he and Stukita were the same age so he was old enough to be able to professionally wrestle. He lists Mascara Dorada, La Sombra and Stukita as his heroes. There’s no mention of a previous name, but he must’ve been using something else in Torreon.
- Joaquin says he’s happy with his roster. A fool! He says it was all LA Park’s decision to leave because he had better opportunities elsewhere. Joaquin says LA Park’s contract actually ended on April 30th, so his TxT press conference appearance should not have happened, but they’ll talk it out and not take it to court.
- 70s/80s luchador el Rams was a guy with the St. Louis Rams logo on his chest and as his mask.
- Electrico says he returned at 85%, and singles out thanks to Metalico and Charly Montana for supporting and helping with his rehab.
- interviewer asks Atlantis if there’s anything he’s yet to win. Atlantis turns the silly question into claiming his mask match versus Ultimo Guerrero is the biggest of his career.
Box Y Luchas 3127 (2013-04-22)
- Titan explains he got the idea for the handwalk moves from seeing CZW wrestler Ruckus. He was very inspired by something Ruckus did, worked very long and hard to get it down, and is glad he did because he think it made him stick out and people always want to see him do it.
- Hombre Bala, talking about his family, mentions a Gato del Ring (who actually may just be a student, it’s phrased oddly) soon to debut and says India Sioux will return soon. I wouldn’t hold my breath.
- Hector Garza, promoting his benefit show, says he doesn’t consider himself retired and it’s possible he may return to the ring.
Box Y Luchas 3128 (2013-04-29)
- Not a lot. A lot of the same interviews from the Arena Mexico Anniversary show
- Magico claims to have won 36 masks and 25 hairs. He also says he only lied 1% during the interview.
Box Y Luchas 3129 (2013-05-06)
- Results from the sponsored show on 05/04. Nothing too interesting happened.
- Bobby Zavala talks about all the support he gets from auto parts store Auto Panda. (You get the impression that place might be his other job.)
- Sadica talks about her trainers – Pirata Morgan, ATM, and now Tony Salazar in hopes of making into CMLL. That’s surprising, because her style on the indies has been extreme matches. She’s going to Japan in May to face Ayako Hamada.
CMLL (TUE) 05/28/2013 Arena Mexico
1) Bengala & Robin vs Cholo & Zayco
2) Bam Bam, Fantasy, Shockercito vs Mercurio, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Olímpico
3) Hombre Bala Jr., Sagrado, Tritón vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Hooligan, Skándalo
4) Delta, La Máscara, Rey Cometa vs Olímpico, Pólvora, Puma
5) Fuego vs Tiger [En Busca de un Idolo]
6) Stuka Jr. vs Vangellys [En Busca de un Idolo]
7) Diamante Azul, Rush, Thunder vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Rey Bucanero, Terrible
Azul and Bucanero appear to be setting up a match here as well.
CMLL (TUE) 05/28/2013 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Black Metal & Sky Kid vs Rey Trueno & Sádico
2) Astral, Eléctrico, Último Dragoncito vs Demus 3:16, Pequeño Violencia, Pierrothito
3) Dalis la Caribeña, Estrellita, Goya Kong, Lady Afrodita, Luna Mágica vs La Comandante, Mima Shimoda, Princesa Blanca, Princesa Sugheit, Zeuxis [REINA IJ, #1 Contenders]
Silueta is champion
4) La Sombra, Shocker, Valiente vs Felino, Mr. Águila, Shinsuke Nakamura
5) Atlantis vs Mr. Niebla
Niebla didn’t waste any time getting involved in things.
The REINA International Junior championship had some strict criteria when it started – it was only supposed to be for young wrestlers – and that’s been dropped along the way. Still, this seems like a setup to another title match with Zeuxis.