Quick recap of Rey Bucanero on the Dr. Keith Lipiniski (w/Raul Cruz) show:
- Rey’s working too many days a week to get keep track, but he loves his job.
- His favorite place to work is Arena Mexico
- His long term goals in lucha libre is to be a top star, entertain the fans and wrestle along the world.
- Rey’d like to wrestle for the higher weight classes rather than go for the tag titles (To me, this would kinda be a problem right now – his boy Ultimo’s got the CMLL Light Heavyweight – semicompleto! – his boy Atlantis has the NWA Light Heavyweight and his sorta boy Universo has the CMLL Heavyweight. I guess he has to go punk out El Dandy!) He’d like to be a constant main eventer.
- Rey likes adding Atlantis to the group, because he’s a huge right now. That’s why the name change too.
- Rey talks about his training – since 8, trained by his dad and Pirata Morgan, fourth generation wrestler.
- Rey wanted to represent in Chicago, and likes fighting someone like Mistico – someone he can beat in a violent manner.
- Rey explains the forearm (“BOOC! BOOC! BOOC!”) yell – it’s an imitation of the landing whistle ships in Mexico make. So he’s letting the people know he’s coming.
- Rey expects to keep wrestling about ten more years – so he can retire in one piece and spend time with his family.
- Other guys in CMLL Rey enjoys: Dr. Wagner, LA Park, Santo, Negro, Mistico, Dos Caras Jr., Ultimo Guerrero (though not Ultimate Warrior!), and more.
- The feud with Perros del Mal has them working against different styles of workers (wrestlers vs brawlers, maybe? – Rey phrases it as “outsiders (Tijuana/AAA)” vs “home team” later on) and may last all year. They’re looking towards a Cage of Death match with hairs and masks on the line.
- Averno and Mephisto may be joining the Guerrero Pandilla. ABOUT TIME. They’re listed as part of them.
- Rey says Tarzan left and came back to GdA.
INSIDE SCOOP: That’s Dr. Wagner Jr. who does the walk thru the interview at one point. This has been your inside scoop.
Also, if Steve Sims thinks he’s Dr. Lucha Jr., then I’m in 5th grade biology (and I am either way.)
Edit So I’m listening to the whole Steve Sims inteview, and it’s very much GREAT, especially if you just have a basic understanding of lucha and want to know more.