update: CMLL posted a statement on their website
DESCANSE EN PAZ ROBERTO “EL Gï¿½ERO” RANGEL
En las primeras horas del martes 22, el rï¿½feri Roberto Rangel y Rangel falleciï¿½ en su casa de la Ciudad de Mï¿½xico. Sus restos fueron velados en la Funeraria Garcï¿½a Lï¿½pez, partiendo el cortejo fï¿½nebre al Panteï¿½n Francï¿½s, donde serï¿½ sepultado. Descanse en paz en inolvidable Gï¿½erito, el Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre se une al dolor que embarga a su familia.
In the first hours of Tuesday 22, rï¿½feri Roberto Rangel and Rangel passed away in his house of the City of Mexico. Their rest were guarded in the Undertaker Garci’a Lopez, starting off the funeral courtship for the French Pantheon, where it will be buried. Rest peacefully in unforgettable Gï¿½erito, [CMLL] is united to the pain that obstructs its family.
There was a moment of applause for him at last night’s Arena Coliseo show.
IWRG (THU) 08/17 Arena Naucalpan Lineup
1) Black Stone b Golem
2) Panterita, Platino b Black Jaguar, Ultra Mega
Panterita filled in for Marco Rivera.
3) Lady Apache, Marcela, Princesa Blanca b Hiroka, Medussa, Rosa Negra
After the match, Apache, Marecla, and Blanca challenged Hiroka to a CMLL title match. I hope this is now a running joke. Anyway, Hiroka refused, because there are three of them and one of her, and she only defends her title in singles matches.
4) Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro, Nitro b Fabian el Gitano, Kung Fu Jr., Tony Rivera
5) Dos Caras Jr., Sagrado, Silver King b Damian 666, Mr. Aguila, Terrible
Sagrado replaced Lizmark, Aguila and Terrible replaced Misterioso and Olimpico. Silver King wrestled as Ramses, though there wasn’t an attempt at pretending this was someone new; they’ve got him contiunally listed as “Ramses (Silver King)”. So weird. Finish saw Damian get away with a foul on Dos, but Ramses get away with a foul Damian in turn and get the pin.
This being Silver King and lucha libre, Ramses apparently was wearing a random title belt. (Close up look) I think it’s the old UWA Junior Light Heavyweight title, but I’m not 100% sure. The ‘Championship’ has been inactive since Silver Star bought it, took it to Monterrey, and renamed it (and, oh yea, the UWA died.) I guess he thought his brother was looking sharp with a dead promotion title belt and had to get one of his own.
IWRG (SUN) 08/20 Arena Naucalpan Results
1) Vampiro Metalico b Antaris
2) Halcon Salvaje, Kid Tiger b Carta Brava Jr., Macho II
3) Avisman, Black Terry, Okumura b Gran Cuchillo Jr., Star Boy, Stuka Jr.
Gran Cuchillo replaced Marco Rivera, who must’ve been hurt.
4) Dr. Cerebro, Pierroth Jr., Veneno b Fabian el Gitano, Fantasma Jr., Psicodelico Jr.
Rudos did a lot of mask pulling and got away with it.
5) Heavy Metal, Panterita, Suicida DQ Black Warrior, Cerebro Negro, Fantasma de la Opera
Warrior fouled Metal and got caught.
CMLL (SUN) 08/20 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara Results
1) Estrella de Jalisco, Metatron b Mr. Trueno, Rey Trueno
2) Antrax, Evola DQ Danger (Guadalajara), Depredador
Depredador low blowed Antrax and got caught. Antrax challenged him to a stakes match, but was ignored.
3) Gallo b Infierno
4) Satanico, Tony Rivera, Volador Jr. b Angel Blanco Jr., Magnum, Sangre Azteca
5) Idolo b Destroyer [mask]
Since Negro couldn’t make it for his title match versus Toxico, I believe they made good by changing this from a normal singles match to a mask match; it wasn’t announced as a mask match previously. Sucks for Destroyer, who lost his hood here; no info about real name.
6) Dr. Wagner Jr., Rey Bucanero b Atlantis, Ultimo Guerrero
I’ve been saying we shouldn’t bother to start evaluating RXLL – that’s the new promotion with Vampiro – until there was a card announced. We have a card announced.
RXLL (SAT) 09/02 Coliseo Olimpico de la Universidad de Guadalajara [box y lucha, KrisZ]
1) Phoenix Star & Zokre vs Hego Boy I & Hego Boy II
2) X-Fly vs Morivus vs Hego Boy vs Astro Boy vs Thunder vs Danger (Guadalajara)
3) Blue Panther vs Ron Killings
4) Nic Grimes vs Lacey
5) Extreme Tiger vs Mortiz
6) Flash II & ? vs Aaron Aguila & Kaos
7) Vampiro vs Sean Waltman
- Yes, really, Blue Panther versus Ron Killings. Then again, who do you have Panther face? He’s a great mat wrestler, and there’s no one else to work his style here. More over, the concept of promotion seems to be the opposite of what he brings to the table. I’d like to see him (and may this weekend), but I’m not sure of this promotion booking him.
- The word is Blue Panther, like LA Park and probably others, is an independent and books his own schedule. Still, I wonder how happy CMLL’s going to be with anyone wrestling for Vamp’s promotion. More so for Astro Boy. X-Fly is Pierroth Jr., seemingly on the outs anyway, and presumed to be part of this from the start.
- If you’re going to use Blue Panther, why third on the card? Why behind the match where no one quite knows who those people are (for all I know, it could be Cali hardcore wrestler Vic Grimes vs ROH Valet/SHIMMER wrestler Lacey, but that’d be just weird.) Unless the Flashes or someone else is a lot stronger draw locally than I’m figuring, Panther’s the second biggest star on this show.
- That may be Danger (Mexico City) or another Danger entirely. I’m guessing.
- A lot of the semi-familiar names are indy workers from So Cal.
- I wonder if this means Extreme Tiger didn’t make those AAA tapings? The world shall never know. I think this jump is a bad gamble on his part.
- The only logical reason to have a mystery wrestler on a debut card short of drawing names is someone jumping who hasn’t announced yet. But I don’t think we can limit ourselves just to logical decisions.
- This show will air in Mexico on 09/04.
- My gut feeling is this isn’t a show I’d be interested in. More usefully, I’m guessing the show will do fine attendance wise for an opening show, but will have to add more drawing wrestlers to succeed in the long term (and I’d guess that would be the plan)
Ultimo Gladiador #6 has a cover of…Latin Lover joining Perros del Mal. That’s FIVE. I’m beginning to think this was a big deal.
Arturo Rivera’s car was stolen this past Saturday. He parked it, left it for a few minutes, and it was gone. Police have no leads. (Maybe this is why he didn’t do Accion?)
This site is selling T-Shirts with mask designs. The side bar is completely unhelpful, click on Ver todos los productos for the full list rather than blind guessing forever. It’s too bad I’m not a fan of Rayo, because the black shirt with his white mask design is great. The Ricochet shirts look smart too, if possibly vastly illegal.
Lucha Loco, a book of lucha photography, goes on sale today. Site’s got some good stuff even if you aren’t getting the book.