This is a tough one.
Today’s the 73rd anniversary of lucha libre in Mexico, and Ovaciones mentions some of the milestones. Did you know Arena Coliseo was originally built with (in part) 40,000 pesos Lutteroth won in the lottery? Early on, the big show of the week was held on Thursdays, so as not to conflict with boxing promoters.
IWRG (SUN) 09/17 Arena Neza Results
1) Bacteria b Turako
2) Comando Gama, Comando Mega b Halcon Salvaje, Kid Tiger
3) Ave Fenix, Stuka Jr., Suicida b Black Jaguar, Fantasma de la Opera, Xibalba
4) Kraneo, Loco Max, Nitro b Coco Blanco, Coco Rojo, Coco Verde
5) Canek, Misterioso II, Veneno b Dr. Wagner Jr., Negro Casas, Pantera
CMLL (TUE) 09/19 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara Results
1) Milenio b Virgo
2) Golden b Depredador
3) Mr. Trueno b Ebola
4) Guero Loco b Egipcio
5) Asesino Negro b Leon Blanco
6) Mascara Purpura, Maximo, Volador Jr. b Hombre Sin Nombre, Mascara Magica, Toxico
7) Hijo del Santo, La Mascara DQ Black Warrior, Olimpico
Warrior pulled La Mascara’s mask. He can’t buy a win.
Gladiador #11 is up at their website. Among other things, they’ve got recaps from some of the recent IWRG shows (that’s where the Neza results come), and interviews with Rosa Negra (not a lot new) and Gallo de Jalisco, and photos from a CMLL spot show with Rey Bucanero & Santo vs Ultimo Guerrero & Perro Aguayou Jr.
The El Nieto del Santo mentioned as wrestling earlier this was probably Axxel.
Hey, I got the Fox Sports Espanol episodes.
* 08/13 – opener seemed liked a strong build to a big finish, and then it just sort ended. Main event had little value.
* 08/20 – Hey, a CMLL cibernetico NOT better than Reyes de Aire. This was just okay, though, and the extended Volador/Misterioso sequence teased a pretty good singles match some point down the road. Main event wasn’t much.
* 08/27 – skippable. Probably didn’t miss much from the clipped open. Neither Warrior or Dos are entertaining singles wrestlers, and it doesn’t help that they did a singles match by the numbers a week after Volador and Misterioso essentially did for him. Dos will hopefully grow better than this (though that’s far from a sure thing), but this was about usual for Warrior one on one; I think everyone knows this, but it’s still probably not a good idea to expect Mistico vs Black Warrior to be a MOTY (at least for in ring work alone – the crowd may carry it.)
In my opinion, it’d be better for FSE to join the show in progress – start in the middle of the opener, if you have to cut things out – rather than pull out random falls. We can live without the introduction stuff before we can live without the matches. This may be my biased “they better show the full main event this week” view, and I agree with everyone that it wouldn’t be hard to find another slot to put the show, either first run or a replay, to get that full hour out there.
I think I may be able to get to this week’s GdR this week tommorow, and then I don’t know what.
Gala: Again, a wacky time for the west coast feed.
Rudopolis has a recap of this episode:
With that said, I think AAA was fine, but far from the Chilpancingo, Toluca,(twice), Nvo Progreso, Naucalpan and a few others which are in the top. Show had that double main event thing that is usually not a good idea, but at least Manson and Zumbido were back (maybe momentarily in Zumbidosky’s case) and the show advanced the storylines, nice, Secta turning on Ciber was over a month ago and they have not really done anything with that!!
FSE: 9 PM, and they even have Negro Casas vs Averno listed in the lineups, so we’re sure about that one. (Yay info.) Preceeding the show is an Italian Futbol league game, “Lazio vs. Atalanta”. If I’m reading the Series A league info right, this will actually take place at 9 AM, so you think they could find some time in between to make sure it fits to a two hour window. If they’re getting the main, that means they’re probably getting a segunda, a women’s trio. I seem to have the least problem with lucha women among people who read this site, but I think I’d be okay if they cut all the opener out before they touched the main event.
GdR: If that goes there, that means Shocker makes his first appearance on CAN52. Neither match lined up here looks particularly good.
Ovaciones says Groon was brought in for the annivesary card because they couldn’t get Latin Lover.
I’ve updated the poster for the Congress Show below.
CMLL (TUE) 09/19 Arena Coliseo Results
1) Polvora, Vaquero b Espiritu Maligno, Karisma
2) Leono, Tigre Blanco, Tigre Metalico b Caligula, Jeque, Messala
3) Fabian el Gitano, Oro II, Tony Rivera b Arkangel, Mr. Mexico, Okumura
4) Felino, Metro II, Satanico DQ Alex Koslov, Misterioso, Pierroth
Pierroth got DQed, then attacked the referee for DQing him.
5) Blue Panther, Heavy Metal, Negro Casas DQ Atlantis, Averno, Mephisto
Negro had Averno about done, so Averno fouled him. This feud must continue.
CMLL (SUN) 09/17 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara Results
1) Exterminador, Thunder Boy b Fraile de la Muerte, Imposter
2) Carlo Roggi, Nuba Roja b Danger (Guadalajara), Valentin Mayo
3) Destroyer (Guadalajara), Magnum, Malefico b Leon Blanco, Lider, Mascara Purpura
Lider challenged Destroyer to a hair match for this Sunday.
4) La Mascara, Rayman, Volador Jr. b Hombre Sin Nombre, Mephisto, Olimpico
5) Mistico b Black Warrior
Warrior attacked Mistico before the match, and pulled his mask to roll him up to the first fall. Of course, that meant when Warrior accidently bumped the ref in the third fall, Mistico returned the favor and rolled him up to win.
TV stuff later tonight.
So. There’s a lucha show at Congress Theatre this weekend.
If you can’t read that, it’s Santo & Mistico vs Averno & Mephsito, and then other matches which don’t matter.
Congress Theatre’s address is 2135 N. Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, IL 60647. Tickets are $10 for kids, $15 for General Admission, and $20 for Ringside; I’ve got no idea what the turnout will be (this is the first time Santo or Mistico have been in and they’ve charged for GA tickets, I think), and I’d don’t know what GA will turn out to mean this time, but I’d pay the extra $5 to be at ringside.
“5:00 PM” is listed (though not on the poster) – I think that’s gonna be Doors Open time. But that’s just a guess.
It sounds like the same basic crew will be in LA on Saturday – check FMLL.net for that info – and Santo’s is in Las Vegas on Friday for with a lot of So Cal types and LA Park. But I’m not going to anyone of those shows.
Is any one else planning to go this show? I’m going to be there; just trying to figure out when and how.
For the person who was asking, the pictures from Friday’s show are up on CMLL‘s site.
If you haven’t seen the anniversary show, go down a post.
AAA’s updated their site with notes about their card, so we’ll try that once more:
AAA TV (SUN) 09/17 El Toreo de Cuatro Caminos Results [AAA]
1) Laredo Kid b Kaoma Jr. and El Apache [dream, toreno, final]
to the top of the cards for Laredo Kid. maybe.
2) Cinthia Moreno, El Elegido, Mascara Sagrada, Pimpinela DQ La Diabolica, Mini Abismo Negro, Pirata Morgan, Polvo de Estrellas
AAA says Hator is the newest Guapo, but Scorpio Jr. is leader of the group. AAA brings up the rumors of Emilio jumping, which I guess means he’s coming in later?
3) AJ Styles, Homicide, Low-Ki, Samoa Joe DQ Abismo Negro, Charly Manson, Electroshock, Histeria [sf]
Charly is a full time Viper, and he and Electroshock are friends again.
4) Crazy Boy, Joe Lider, Juventued Guerrera, Psicosis II b Chessman, Cuervo, Escoria, Ozz [sf]
‘extreme’ style. Crazy Boy pinned Ozz.
5) Tiffany, Estrellita DQ Tiana Ringer, Traci Brooks
Sounds like Christy showed up despite her injury, which is always good. Tiffany turned on Estrellita, which actually got her team the win. Everyone should turn on each other, I guess.
6) Alan Stone, Hator, Scorpio Jr., Zumbido b Intocable, Oriental, Super Porky, Zorro
After Intocable got fouled by a low blow, Alan Stone got his revenge pin.
7) AJ Styles, Low-Ki, Samoa Joe b Crazy Boy, Joe Lider, Juventued Guerrera [final]
Psicosis was out due to the extreme match, and Homicide due to the martiente
8) Gronda II, La Parka Jr., Octagon DQ Abyss, Jeff Jarrett, Konnan
Everyone in the building interfered. AAA seems to be hinting towards a La Parka Jr. vs Jeff Jarrett NWA Heavyweight Title match, which would be epic.
AAA’s update spends a lot of time talking up TNA and saying a lot of fans were there to see those guys, and I have a hard time believing such things. Besides the odd Emilio reference, they also mention that Konnan is hurting and looking bad in the ring again. There’s also a last line mention of touring the US in October.
CMLL (MON) 09/18 Arena Puebla Results
1) Ares, Bobby Jack, Furia Chicana b Blue Center, King Jaguar, Super Star
2) Mini Damian, Mini Halloween, Mini Mr. Aguila b Forajido, Mini Olimpico, Ultimo Dragoncito
3) Black Terry, Espiritu Maligno, Yankee Star b Asturiano, Centella de Oro, the Tigre
4) Dos Caras Jr., Heavy Metal, Negro Casas b Averno, Mephisto, Shocker
5) Rey Bucanero b Ultimo Guerrero [CMLL LH]
Lots of IWRG stuff, because we didn’t have lineups yesterday…
IWRG (THU) 09/14 Arena Naucalpan Results
1) Golem b Aguila Misteriosa
2) Gran Cuchillo, Halcon Salvaje b Comando Mega, Shuriken
3) Ave Fenix, Fabian el Gitano, Free Lance b Black Jaguar, Black Stone, Xibalba
Free Lance, the new Panterita (and probably should be spelled Freelance), won the match with a lance (dive). That seems fair.
4) Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro, Suicida b Black Terry, Fantasma de la Opera, Okumura
Takes a moment to remember the Cerebros are tecnicos now. Black Terry’s team wants a super libre rematch next week.
5) Dos Caras Jr., Mascara Sagrada, Solar DQ Alex Koslov, Mascara Ano 2000 Jr., Veneno
This was Mascara Ano’s debut, and he low blowed Dos Caras to end the match. What a debut.
IWRG (SUN) 09/17 Arena Naucalpan Results
1) Guardian de la Noche b Forastero
2) Gran Cuchillo, Intrepid b Belcebu, Macho II
3) Fabian el Gitano, Marco Rivera, Star Boy b Avisman, Black Stone, Ultra Mega
4) Freelance L Cerebo Negro, Enterrador 2000, Mascara Ano 2000 Jr., Sagrado, Tony Rivera, Hijo del Diablo, Dr. Cerebro, Okumura, Cyborg [cage of death, hair]
Tarzan Boy was supposed to be in this, but he was still hurting and the promtoion wouldn’t let him go. Cyborg replaced him. Seems like a bunch of other names were switched too. Order of exit was Sagrado, Tony Rivera, Dr. Cerebro, Enterrador 2000, Cyborg, Mascara Ano 2000 Jr., Hijo del Diablo, and Okumura. In the final, Cerebro Negro defeated Freelance for his hair. After the match, Okumura return and laid out both men, low blowing Cerebro Negro and giving a matinete to Freelance.
Box Y Lucha posted a bunch of new articles
- Black Warrior talks the mask match. Mistico has a lot of fans, but he’s not on in-ring level of Atlantis or Black Warrior. Warrior says Mistico only knows how to fly, but Warrior knows how to fight.
- Mistico is angry about the grand theft performed to Black Warrior & Atlantis. He’s not scared about the match. Mistico also says the feud will defintely not be over with the mask match, and I’m not sure that’s something I’d say.
- AAA held a press conference without Antonio Pena. That’s probably not good, but it’s mostly another interview about the blasted stamp album. I so don’t get this. Anyway, the AAA lawyer conducting the event claims Pena just has been very busy organizing the AAA tours of the US (late October/early November) and Central America (late November) and he’s had a small case of Bronchus, but he’s completely fine now. You know, I’d believe Pena is completely fine before I’d believe anyone in AAA is actually organizing anything. Shocker jump is explaining by his contract coming up, Shocker giving them the impression he was going to re-sign, and then not actually re-signing. Even though Scorpio Jr./Porky was built up in a hair match, the lawyer claims they never planned to do a Scorpio Jr/Porky hair match. My eyes, they deceive me. The lawyer also says Latin Lover is a free agent, but Pena owns the name.
- Rey Mysterio Jr. thinks they should have a WrestleMania in Mexico. Sure.
- Tarzan Boy is not going to AAA, and those rumors are wrong. I hadn’t even heard those rumors! Apparently people were telling him he was the mystery guy in the main event, and he’s was like “Huh? No.”
- Quick Bio of Rey Misterio Jr.
- Dr. Wagner Sr. Obit
- Rambo talks about one of the two times in his career he had to referee; he was traveling with his father’s promotion, and a referee was short, so they needed him to fill in. He didn’t have any suitable clothes, so wrestlers gave him some – including some pants which were gimmicked to be ripped off by the wrestlers during the match. Quite the prank.
LUCHAS 2000 says Kronos (Brazo de Plata Jr.) will be joining his father in AAA soon. Maximo, Porky’s other wrestling son, is unlikely to go anywhere because he’s got a good spot in CMLL.
Guerreros del Ring #53 (1st Anniversary show) has a Mil Mascaras cover.
Hijo de Rey Misterio is being advertised for the 10/01 RXLL show.
Thanks to Alexis.
CMLL (FRI) 09/29 Arena Mexico Lineup
1) Dark Angel, Lady Apache, Marcela vs Princesa Sujei, Hiroka, Amapola
2) Felino, Volador Jr., Sagrado vs Alex Koslov, Averno, Mephisto
3) Rey Bucanero, Blue Panther, Ultimo Dragon vs Marco Corelone, Kenzo Suzuki, Olimpico
4) Groon XXX, Dr. Wagner Jr., Negro Casas vs Halloween, Damian 666, Mr. Aguila
5) Hijo del Perro Aguayo, Shocker, Hector Garza vs Atlantis, Ultimo Guerrero, Tarzan Boy [CMLL TRIOS]
6) Mistico vs Black Warrior [mask]
It’s not a dream match card from a workrate perspective, but I’m sure they got everyone they wanted on the card.
Busy day – or not.
No further AAA results, as far as I’ve seen. I’ve held off posting this for a while in hopes that the Anniversary lineup will show up, but I don’t see them. I’ll post it later if it turns up then.
CMLL (SUN) 09/18 Arena Coliseo Results
1) Mini Olimpico, Tzuki, Ultimo Dragoncito b Mini Damian 666, Mini Halloween, Mini Mr. Aguila
2) Amapola, La Nazi, Medusa b Luna Magica, Princesa Blanca, Sahori
3) Metro II, Satanico, Virus b Mr. Mexico, Ohara, Okumura
4) Blue Panther, Dr. Wagner Jr., Ultimo Dragon b Mascara Ano 2000, Shocker, Universo 2000
5) Averno b Negro Casas [CMLL MIDDLE]
Averno becomes the 13th Champion.
As Victor and others have noted, CMLL on Fox Sports was clipped yet again. If they clip Negro vs Averno next week, I’ll be very sad.
- Box Y Lucha #2784 focuses on the top two matches for CMLL’s Anniversary show. The poster features Warrior & Mistico ripping each other’s mask, in case you haven’t seen it.
- LUCHAS 2000 features the three Rey Misterios (Sr., Hijo, and Jr.) and Shocker signing.
- Super Luchas #179 has an interview with Super Crazy.
Lineups – at least the ones we have:
- Rey defends the CMLL LH title against Ultimo again, tonight in Puebla
- no AAA TV taping this week, as far as I can tell.
- Santo’s working Las Vegas on Friday, Los Angeles on Saturday, and Chicago on Sunday.
You are currently browsing the archives.