GALA’s airing the Gran Tracion show overnight. Sorry if you hoped for a new one.
CMLL (FRI) 08/04 Arena Mexico Results [ova, magazinecmll, ocampo]
1) Tigre Blanco, Tigre Metalico b Artillero, Super Comando
2) Sagrado, Satanico, Virus b Loco Max, Nitro, Okumura
3) Blue Panther, La Mascara, Volador Jr. b Misterioso II, Olimpico, Sangre Azteca
4) Damian 666, Hector Garza, Hijo del Perro Aguayo b Dos Caras Jr., Dr. Wagner Jr., Rey Bucanero
5) Hijo del Santo, Mistico, Negro Casas b Atlantis, Black Warrior, Ultimo Guerrero
Perro snuck in a foul on Rey for the 4th match victory. Post match, Rey challenged Perro to a hair match, and it appeared Perro accepted – but they’ll only hvae a normal singles match next week. (So, neither man will be in the Leyenda de Plata – lineup still TBA.)
Vampiro (and others business backers, I guess) held a press confrence yesterday to announced the formation of a new promotion, Revolucion X Lucha Libre (RXLL). No other wrestlers were offically announced; Extreme Tiger, Teddy Hart, Samoa Joe, and Sean Waltman were mentioned as possiblities but it doesn’t read as if any of them are for sure (and at this point, I’m sure nothing is for sure.) First show was announced for 09/02 in Coliseo Olimpico de la Universidad de Guadalajara, and we’ll know a lot more about how seriously to take this after the card’s been announced and after a show’s been held.
Guerreros del Ring had matches from 07/30 Coliseo
La Nazi, Medusa, Princesa Sujei vs Dark Angel, India Sioux, Sahori
Atlantis, Olimpico, Ultimo Guerrero vs Dr. Wagner Jr., Mistico, Negro Casas
(we’re back to women + Mistico)
CMLL (SUN) 07/30 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara Results
1) Metal Blanco b Rey Trueno
2) Ebola, Idolo b Destroyer, Guero Loco
3) Magnum b Metro (G) [Occidente MIDDLE]
Metro lost the title here. I always wonder if he’s done the gimmick or the gimmick is done with him.
4) Felino, La Máscara, Virus b Infierno, Malefico, Toxico
5) Blue Panther, Dos Caras Jr., Lizmark Jr. b Black Warrior, Misterioso II, Universo 2000
6) Cesar Dantes CO Brazo de Platino [hair]
CMLL (TUE) 08/01 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara Results
1) Fraile de la Muerte b Golden
2) Destroyer b Estrella de Jalisco
3) El Idolo DQ El Exterminador
4) Gallo b Infierno
5) Virus b Malefico
6) Magnum b La Máscara [lightning]
Magnum got a pin with feet on the ropes. Title match?
7) Felino, Negro Casas b Misterioso II, Toxico
8) Mistico DQ Black Warrior
Warrior pulled the mask and almost got away with it.
AULL (WED) 08/02 Arena Lopez Mateos Results
1) Mr. Potro, Sombra Escarlata b Diablo Rodriguez, Sol de Oriente
2) Tortuga Mutante I, Tortuga Mutante II, Tortuga Mutante III b Tortugillo Ninja I, Tortugillo Ninja II, Tortugillo Ninja III
3) Robin Maravilla, Super Nova, Terry 2000 b Ira, Negro Navarro, Sadico
4) Mascara Purpura, Texano Jr. b Loco Max, Shigeo Okumura
5) Atlantis, Ultimo Guerrero b Dos Caras Jr., Rey Bucanero
Atlantis low blow on Rey for the win Atlantis and Rey each challenged the other to a title match.
Mr. Mexico faces Maximo in a hair match in Puebla on Monday. That’s an easy pick.
Ovaciones and Notimex have Arena Mexico previews; they seem to think the main event will be going in a Black Warrior/Mistico direction.
Box Y Lucha posted more articles – including the one I wanted to read!
- Chessman feels everything they do, CMLL copies. In his mind, the Perros del Mal are a weak copy of LLL and La Secta; weak enough that he wouldn’t ever bother fighting them. (It’d be more effective if “they’re ripping us off and they suck” didn’t come from a Mexican wearing a Kane outfit.) Chessman sums up his feud with La Parka Jr. as both guys winning a bunch, but Chessman being far superior, and someday he’ll actually put up his hair against Parka’s mask, and Parka will be very unhappy. Not Chessman is totally unhappy with Parka
We are thankful [La Parka Jr.] has taken the mask of Cybernetico, because it allowed us to know the face of the God of Lucha Libre.
That’s a silver lining. Anyway, Chessman expected Cibernetico back in December, and then they’ll take out all the cheap copies. He’s also rooting for Intocable to do well on the new season of Dancing With The Stars – Intocable is also not better than anyone in the Sect, but Chessman supports his fellow wrestlers.
- Fuerza Guerrera is critical towards Zorro and his frequent usage of canes and chairs in his matches, and he’s critical of Intocable for spending too much time away from the ring to do TV shows. Fuerza says his mask match with Octagon will happen – at some point in some future. If Octagon would win, Fuerza explains it’d be a historic occasion, but if he wins, it’s just another mask for the trophy cabinet.
- Sangre Azteca raves about his last tour of Japan; it hardened him as a warrior. He says he’ll be back in October. Sangre’s thought he needed to add some weight to be more succesful both in Japan and in Mexico, but putting on size has always been his bigest problem. He’s hoping for an oppurtinty in CMLL and working hard in the gym to be ready the moment he gets one.
- Mr. Aguila talks about losing his mask 8 years ago without mentioning “I had it off in the US anyway.” He inivited his mom to the Arena Mexico show, wanting her there for his biggest win, and when Ultimo Guerrero beat him, his mom took off his mask (and still tried to keep his face covered.)
- Fishman bio. Fishman was a big fan of comics, and figured if there’s a Superman and a Batman, there’s ought to be a Fishman. (I’m not making that up.) He got his big break wrestling Santo locally, and moved up to larger arenas from there. He originally had a gold/black mask, but since Solitario was famous with those colors, changed to green and gold (with a design drawn by an architecure friend.)
- There’s some controversy about Kiss promoting shows in LA, promoting wrestlers who hadn’t agreed to come (and didn’t appear). From reading some SoCalUncensored threads, this appears to be the fake Mistico deal. (It sounds like they had a guy named Sombra de Mistico wearing a Mistico mask and being quiet about the Sombra part.) Kiss Jr. defends his father, and claims they don’t use ‘clone’ wrestlers, but then goes into a hysterical defense mode about what a huge star his dad is and so on. He should’ve defended what happened and ended it there.
the Guardian UK has an interview with Fray Tormenta, as Nacho Libre debuts there next week. Tormenta thought the movie was funny, though had little to do with him.
According to AAA’s preview for it’s 08/06 TV taping, Xtreme Tiger is already the newest Viper. Their notes section says Abismo is looking for a mask match with Gronda II and pushes (again) for Fuerza/Octagon in a mask match.
(warning: stastical analysis of wrestling ahead)
A couple of weeks, I was working on the IWRG roster, figuring out who belongs in which category. It’s actually either for that roster, because the split there is based on appearance frequency (regulars vs guests.) The CMLL and AAA rosters are split based on push level, and I’ve been thinking how to mathematically express the concept of push.
You can find Strong Style Spirit over here at the moment. Eventually, I believe www.puroresunetwork.com will resolve to the new site, but it doesn’t appear to be working from my computer yet. (DNS can be such a freaking pain.) The other promotional sites look to be in various stages of returning. I’ll change the sidebar links once everything gets settled.
Bad news: the Mexican futbol federation has BANNED wearing lucha masks after scoring a goal. This was big last season, when Gabriel Pereyra (ironically the unmasked man in that photo), a player from the Cruz Azul team, wore Mistico’s mask after scoring a goal (and CMLL did a few bits with both of them together), and other players started wearing other people’s masks and such. There’s no new rule, the officials are just reminding everyone of the illegalness of bringing non-uniform equipment out onto the field (if you’re familiar with the other football, think TO & Sharpe pen) and promising to do something about it this season. The season starts soon, and this is the Big News in upcoming rule changes (so it’s a slow period.)
Ovaciones announced today that CMLL’s Leyenda de Plata tournament would be start next week. The article mentions says “more than 12″ wrestlers have applied to be involved in the tournament, but only some of the applicants are listed
- Rey Bucanero
- Dos Caras Jr.
- Santo (who’s in for four weeks starting Friday.)
- members of Perros del Mal
- members of Guerreros del Atlantida
The participants (usually 16) will be announced after this Friday’s Arena Mexico show. Atlantis is the reigning champion.
El Halcon #67 is up! Inside:
- Interview with LA Park. Lots of talk about AAA claiming their La Parka is the original, which LA Park is very unhappy about. The interviewer asks if he’d ever face La Parka Jr. in a mask match, and LA Park figures he could never trust those AAA refs to call it fairly; they’d have to do it Arena Mexico (which means NEVER.) Park’s asked for sure if he’ll ever fight La Parka Jr., and he says…
“EN EL CONSEJO MUNDIAL DE LUCHA LIBRE TE HACEN ANTIDOPING CADA SEMANA, ENTONCES POR ESO NO TE FUMO, NO TE TOMO, QUE LA GENTE SEPA QUE AQUÍ SE HACEN BIEN LAS COSAS…”
which google translates to
“IN THE [CMLL] THEY DO ANTIDOPING EVERY WEEK TO YOU, THEN FOR THAT REASON I DO NOT SMOKE TO YOU, I DO NOT TAKE YOU, THAT PEOPLE KNOW THAT HERE THE THINGS ARE MADE WELL…”
Is that a figure of speech, or is CMLL doing drug testing? That’d be a story. Not many comments about Wagner, except to say the feud’s not over (well, for non-TV it’s not, and thinks were going along fine when this interview was done)
- The interview happened at a June show in Durango
CMLL (SUN) 06/18 Teatro del Puebla, Durango, Durano Results
1) Red Panther DQ Andy Rock
2) Caballero Negro, Alacaran Aseseino, Relampago b Gran Misterio, Dragon Negro, El Camaleon
3) Lobo de Aire, Texano Jr., Sagrado b El Negro Sosa, El Siniestro, Hijo de Cien Caras
4) Dark Angel & Lady Apache b Princesa Sujei & Amapola
5) Lizmark, Mascara Sagrada, LA Park DQ Hijo de Pierroth, Blue Panther, Super Parka
- Interview with Silver King. He’s back in CMLL to win the tag titles with his brother. He was very thrilled with his reaction upon returning, and thought about friends who’d passed since he last was in Arena Mexico as Silver King. Silver King thinks LA Park is aiming a bit too high if he’s trying to take down both the Wagner brothers. Silver King also explains that after “10 years” of WCW and “5 years of NJPW”, he’s just decided he rather stay home with his family. After his performance in Nacho Libre, he’s been offered a role in another movie.
- Highlights from the first AULL TV taping at Arena Lopez Mateos. It sounds like it was run pretty well and people were happy with the initial show. The plan is to showcase indy guys and compliment with CMLL wrestlers – they soley worked the semimain and main.
- flashback to 1984.09.02, when Canek fought Hulk Hogan for the WWF Title at el Toreo Curato Caminos. They broke the attendance record that day, bigger than the previous match where Canek defended his title against Hogan. Villano II vs el Faraon for the WWF LH title was the semimain. Hogan won the first fall, but was DQed in the second. Both men were tired (and at least Hogan was bleeding) in the third fall, but thru the support of the fans, Canek finally rallied back and managed one mighty body slam to get – a near fall. Canek got a few more near falls. Hogan eventually was sent out, and Canek TOPED Hulk Hogan, but he got caught in the ropes on the way out and may have taken the worse of it. The two ended up battling outside for a double countout. Referee in this match was Shadito Cruz, father of the Brazos, oddly enough. The author wonders – how would’ve have things changed had Canek won the WWF belt? (Would Canek and Randy Savage have formed the MegaMayans? Would Canek have led the nWo? Would VH1 have a ‘Canek Knows Best’ show? Would Larry Sweeney have to dress up as Canek Jr? oh the possibilities.)
- Interview with indy wrestler Lasserman. He was trained by el Isleno and in Gualadajara by the Flash, and hopes to make it to CMLL one day.
Opening lines to a box y lucha article (translated)
Days ago, Konan commented that the Mexican female wrestlers were fat and ugly. It is clear that the Cuban said this because he’s nearsighted.
BURN. Anyway, they’ve got quick bios of Atenea and Silueta, who wrestle in Arena Coliseo Guadalajara.
Excelsior has an article about a man who smuggled an ancient historic skull – under an Octagon mask. That seems appropriate.
It’s good thing I’m out of news, because now I’ve got the image of Canek playing air guitar with the UWA Heavyweight Belt and I can’t think about anything else.
Saturday: No daytime airing – Galavision is premering a couple of shows on the same week they have a Mexico double header, so they’re bouncing things around a bit and maybe just knocking AAA off for a week? – and SOP is to air a random rerun in the late night slot. So who knows here.
Sunday: Should be Rey de Reyes Pt1.
GdR: Tag title setup; I wonder if they built Mep/Rey or if they didn’t figure that out til Tuesday?
Fox Sports Espanol starts next week.
Preliminarly listings for next week have Gala returning, but at a 3PM Eastern slot. I’d think that’d cause them to be moved more often for futbol.
picture via cmllmagazine.com
CMLL (TUE) 08/01 Arena Coliseo Results [cmllmagazine]
1) Espiritu, Karisma b Soberano Jr., Vaquero
2) Jeque, Polvora, Zayco b Kronos, Leono, Starman
Starman was carried out, and the rudos took advantage of the numbers.
3) Mascara Purpura, Psicodelico Jr., Stuka Jr. b Apocalipsis, Canek Jr., Ramstein
4) Damian 666, Emilio Charles Jr., Hijo de Pierroth b Lizmark, Metro II, Volador
5) Atlantis, Averno, Mephisto b Blue Panther, Heavy Metal, Rey Bucanero
Focus was on Mephisto vs Bucanero here, with Mep sneaking in a low blow for the win. These two – both weight division champions – will face off in a non-title match next week.
Quick, name the title Mephisto has without looking it up. It took me a second to recall too.
CMLL (TUE) 08/01 Domo de la Feria de Leon Results
3) Mascara Ano 2000, Cien Caras Jr., Emilo Chalres b Rey Bucnaero, Negro Casas, Heavy Metal
Rudos won 2-0 and busted Rey open; he challenged Mascara Ano to a hair match after.
4) Mistico, LA Park, Grond XXX b Universo 2000, Olimpico, Black Warrior
Notes from the 07/28 AAA tapings (previous to the Sect split)
1) Cuervo, Espiritu, Ozz, Scoria b Laredo Kid, Nemesis AAA, Rey Cometa, Super Fly
Espiritu pulled Rey Cometa’s mask and rolled him up for the win
2) Centauro, Estrellita, Mascarita Sagrada, Pimpinela Escarlata b Hator, May Flowers, Mini Abismo Negro, Tiffany
Rudos lost the second match when Hator fouled the debuting Centauro
3) Alan, Billy Boy, Decnis DQ Crazy Boy, Juventued Guerrera, Psicosis II
Turned into an ‘extreme’ match, and ended in a DQ. Decnis took a bump onto chairs and neon light bulbs post match, which sounds exceptionally dumb
4) Alan Stone, Scorpio Jr., Shocker DQ Elegido, Oriental, Zorro
Estrellita got involved, pretending to want to be friends with Shocker and un-shockingly turning on him; Zorro lost his mind again and started caning everyone for the loss.
5) Abismo Negro, Electro Shock, Muerte Cibernetica b Gronda II, La Parka Jr., Super Porky
Gronda II started the match but was taken to the back due to attacks by the rudos during the match and still being hurt from the martiente from the last taping. He did return later for the comeback. Porky was busted open during the match as well.
IWRG (SUN) 07/30 Arena Naucalpan Results
1) Rey Estruendo b Francotirador
2) Aguila Misteriosa, Halcon Salvaje b Lexus, Ultra Mega
3) Avisman, Black Jaguar, Carta Brava Jr. b Ave Fenix, Puma, Star Boy
Avisman’s now a rudo.
4) Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Cyborg DQ Fantasma Jr., Suicida, Tony Rivera
5) Panterita b Fantasma de la Ópera [IWRG IC WELTER]
New champ; Panterita’s won a hair match and a title match on back to back Sundays. Fantasma beat him up post match and demanded a rematch.
By amazing coincidence, Panterita vs Fantasma de la Opera in a mask match is Arena Naucalpan’s special Sunday main event. The Arena Neza card has been slightly shuffled
IWRG (SUN) 08/06 Arena Neza Results
1) Sibelius vs Black Stone
2) Ave Fenix, Kid Tiger vs Hermano Muerte II, Hermno Muerte I
3) Rayo Tapatio I, Rayo Tapatio II, Super Yens vs Carta Brava Jr., Puma, Xibalba
4) Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Pantera vs Damián 666, Mr. Águila, Veneno
5) Dr. Wagner Jr. vs Perro Aguayo Jr. [UWA HEAVY]
Reads like Misterioso wasn’t available and they got Perro instead and adjusted. Wagner’s retaining the title, though it’d be hilarious if he didn’t (for reasons that have nothing to do with Perro.)
The Fishman themed design of El Martiente‘s forums looks great. They’ve always got the best web designs.
Did I mention Rudopolis updated earlier this week? Well, there you go.
When we last left AAA’s main event, Muerte (Asesor) Ciberntica was proposing a takeover of La Sect while current leader Cibernetico was out with a knee injury. Apparently, the coup went down on Sunday in Monterrey; according to show reports and this gossip article (’cause Cibernetico’s a gossip semi-star after the whole non-feud with the boxer, and they’re both Televisa products), Muerte, Konnan and the Dark Family turned on Cibernetico. Chessman and Estrellita both are mentioned as trying to help Cibernetico and failing. Not sure where this leaves Charly Manson – who missed the show due to an injury – and Espiritu. I think they’re just splitting these guys off into two separate rudo factions, but we’ll have to see.
AAA hasn’t updated their site. That’d help to figure out what’s going on.
Angel missed the tapings with injuries as well.
Box Y Lucha #2777 has Perro vs Mistico, and Chessman accusing CMLL of being a cheap copy of AAA. They don’t have that story on the website, which is disappointing.
La Razon has a story about Santo exhibition in Mexico City. They’ll be showcasing special engravings, and the movies “Santo & Blue Demon vs Dracula & el Hombre Lobo” and “El Santo en el museo de cera”.
Lineups are below
- Negro/Mistico defending against Atlantis/Olimpico has been added to Sunday. Pencil in the champs as retaining.
- According to CMLL.com (not on the box y lucha listings – late add?), Universo defends his title (!!) versus Dos Caras Jr. in Guadalajara this weekend.
- Gronda II is listed as being replaced by Octagon on a Sunday Martha Villalobos show, because of injury from Abismo Negro’s martinete on 07/23. Of course, Gronda’s actually wrestled since then, and is wrestling on the AAA TV taping that same day. Lines crossed?
- Speaking off, the main event off the AAA TV taping makes no sense with the new alignments, and that’ll be the story of the match.
- Good week for MIA CMLL undercarders; I spot Flecha and Violencia listed as working (different) spot shows. On the same track, “injured” Mr. Niebla’s working IWRG shows, which would seem to indicate he’s out of CMLL for similar reasons as his last “injury” hiatus.
- IWRG’s Sunday Arena Naucalpan main event is currently a Surprise, and Arena Neza has what’s turned out to be Pantera vs Misterioso II with Pantera’s newly won IWRG IC Middleweight Title up against Misterioso’s mask – so Misterioso’s winning his biggest title ever this weekend! It’s good to be el Rey de Yoghurt.
CMLL (SUN) 07/30 Arena Coliseo Results [magazinecmll]
1) Apocalipsis, Artillero, Soberano Jr. b Danger, Sensei, Sombra de Plata
2) La Nazi, Medusa, Princesa Sujei b Dark Angel, India Sioux, Sahori
Medusa pulled India Sioux’s mask for the third week. I am thrilled with the possibility of an India Sioux mask vs mask match.
3) Brazo de Oro, Sagrado, Satanico DQ Hombre Sin Nombre, Okumura, Terrible
Terrible fouled Satanico
4) Averno, Mephisto, Pierroth b Heavy Metal, Lizmark, Rey Bucanero
Metal got hurt in the first fall, was carried out, was about to be replaced by Maximo, and came back to finish the match. They’re checking him out today, because apparently collapsing is a reocurring problem.
5) Atlantis, Olimpico, Ultimo Guerrero b Dr. Wagner Jr., Mistico, Negro Casas
Atlantis and Olimpico beat the champs in the final fall, and I think we’ve got a tag team title match for next Sunday.
AAA TV (FRI) 07/28 Centro de Convenciones de Ciudad Madreo Results [KrisZ]
1) Laredo Kid, Nemesis AAA, Rey Cometa, Super Fly b Cuervo, Espiritu, Ozz, Scoria
2) Centauro, Estrellita, Mascarita Sagrada, Pimpinela Escarlata b Hator, May Flowers, Mini Abismo Negro, Tiffany
3) Alan, Billy Boy, Decnis b Crazy Boy, Juventued Guerrera, Psicosis II
4) Alan Stone, Scorpio Jr., Shocker b Gronda II, Oriental, Zorro
5) Abismo Negro, Electro Shock, Muerte Cibernetica b Gronda II, La Parka Jr., Super Porky
AAA TV (SUN) 07/30 Arena Coliseo Monterrey Results [rfc]
1) Estrellita, Hombre Sin Miedo, Mascartia Divina, Pimpinela Escarlata b May Flowers, Mini Charly Manson, Tiffany, Tito Santana II
2) El Elegido, Laredo Kid, Mascara Divina, Rey Cometa b Cuervo, Escoria, Espíritu, Ozz
3) Electroshock b Zorro
Electro replaced Charly Manson, which sets back whatever plot twist they were going for here.
4) Crazy Boy, Joe Lider, Juventud Guerrera, Psicosis II b Abismo Negro, Extreme Tiger, Histeria, Rio Bravo
5) Gronda II, La Parka Jr., Super Porky b Chessman, Konnan, Muerte Cibernetica
Angel was scheduled for both tapings and wrestled on neither. Not many notes from either taping yet.
IWRG (THU) 07/27 Arena Naucalpan Results [KrisZ]
1) Golem vs Rey Estruendo
2) Ave Fenix, Kid Tiger b Hermano Muerte I, Hermano Muerte II
3) Fabian el Gitano, Marco Rivera, Star Boy b Black Terry, Carta Brava Jr., Fantasma de la Ópera
4) Felino, Mr. Niebla, Pantera DQ Bestia Salvaje, Negro Navaro, Veneno
5) Canek b Rayo de Jalisco Jr. [IWRG IC Heavy]
Halloween told an el Martinete poster that he was returning to Arena Mexico in about 3 weeks.
Super Luchas #172 goes with a Mistico Returns cover, and has your pictures of Eclipse (who looks just like a tall Guy.) Luchas 2000 focuses on a bloody Hijo de Solitario/Silver King match among other things. (They’ve also got the Eclipse pic.)
Cambio de Michoacan has partial results from a recent Martha Villalobos and an interview with her; she actually wanted to be a singer.
Haven’t seen anything more about Galavision.
No lineups were posted today, so we’ll try for that tommorow.