IWRG (SUN) 12/29/2013 Arena Naucalpan [Black Terry Jr. (flickr), IWRG]
1) Atomic Star & Electro Boy b Látigo & Sky Ángel
2) Emperador Azteca, Hip Hop Man, Seiya b Anubis Black, Fulgor I, Fulgor II
3) Canis Lupus, Dowki, Imposible b Chico Che, Diva Salvaje, Miss Gaviota
4) Rey Hechicero, Súper Nova, X-Fly DQ Alan Extreme, Negro Navarro, Veneno
Rudos took 1/3. X-Fly tried to hit Veneno with a drink tray, hit the ref instead, gave the tray to Veneno, and Veneno was DQed.
5) Apolo Estrada Jr., Avisman, El Hijo del Diablo b Black Terry, Bombero Infernal, Dr. Cerebro [EdM Trios]
Gringos are champions and took falls 1/3 to keep the titles. In the third, Terry eliminated Avisman and dove onto Apolo. Doc Cerebro tried to finish Hijo del Diablo, but Avisman tripped him up and Diablo took advantage to beat him and win the title. Second defense (first was also against this team.)
Looks like they did some Hechicero & Navarro spots, even though that wasn’t the focus of the result. Same thing last week with Negro Casas & Negro Navarro, where they feuded even though the finish was something else (and clearly screwed up on vidoe.)
Ari “el Gato” Romero passed away Sunday. He was 62. Romero was a great rudo during the 70s and 80s, including feuding with the Guerreros in Ciudad Juarez around the start of Eddie Guerrero’s career. Romero was known for winning chain matches and for using a fork on his opponents (“El Rey del Tenedor”). Romero wrestled in Mexico City under his own name in the 80s. When the wrestling world began to shrink in the early 90s, Romero returned to Mexico City as the masked masked Gran Shiek for a few years, ultimately losing it the mask to Blue Demon in 1994. Romero would return to Juarez and wrestle there and occasionally elsewhere; the most recent match I know of his was last November, when he was on a trios opposite of Mil Mascaras. His son also became a luchador in Ciudad Juarez.
Alfredo has more thoughts on Ari Romero. CMLL will likely have a moment of applause for Romero this week.
Fantasma del Espacio lost his mask in Xalapa.
CMLL (SUN) 01/05/2014 Arena Mexico
1) Hombre Bala Jr. & Súper Halcón Jr. vs Guerrero Negro Jr. & Herodes Jr.
2) Dark Angel, Estrellita, Goya Kong vs Amapola, Princesa Sugheit, Tiffany
3) Eléctrico vs Astral, Stukita, Shockercito, Último Dragoncito, Demus 3:16, Mercurio, Pierrothito, Pequeño Olímpico, Pequeño Nitro [Pequeno Reyes del Aire]
4) La Máscara, La Sombra, Super Porky vs Negro Casas, Rey Bucanero, Terrible
5) Atlantis, Máscara Dorada, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Mr. Niebla, Último Guerrero
Dia de Reyes card (a day early.)
Sombra and Volador are on the same card for the first time since Volador’s turn – maybe they’ll pass in the aisle.
Past Pequeno Reyes del Aire winners:
2007: Pequeno Damian 666 (Demus 3:16)
2008: Mascarita Dorada
2009: Pequeno Black Warrior (and someone from Puebla, results never were posted)
2010: Pequeno Nitro
2011: Pequeno Olimpico
2012: Ultimo Dragoncito
2012: Pequeno Black Warrior (two of ‘em)
Aereo is not in the field this year. Neither is Warrior, which is good news. Bam Bam, Fantasy, Violencia and Universo are also MIA. I’d expect Astral or Electrico to win, but I’m rooting for Stukita with the massive upset.