taped 2013-07-30 @ Arena Mexico
Read the rest of this entry »
No TxT this week. It’s still unclear if Veracruz was taped or when the next TxT show might be.
== AAA ==
AAA-Televisa: The rest of the DF show, with Cibernetico vs Perro Aguayo Jr. and all that happens after
AAA-Fusion: Repeats, if airs. Maybe back next week.
== CMLL ==
Galavision/Televisa: Should have both the Blue Panther Anniversary match and the Sombra/Volador match, which is a lot to squeeze in.
FOX: Estetas vs Avernos, women, and opener all clipped up.
52MX: Diamante Azul/Euforia, Dragon/Niebla/Polvora vs Estetas, trios title match
C3: Dragon Rojo vs Niebla Roja.
TVC Deportes (Puebla): A repeat of last week’s episode airs around 4 am Friday (which may be after you read this.) The next episode should have Guerreros vs Revolucionarios and Zavala with Fiebre Amarilla versus Delta/Maya/Cometa
En Busca de un Idolo: the Tiger/Fuego and Vangellys/Stuka matches.
Terra: First Tanahashi match to air this time, as he teams with Pierroth and Terrible against Atlantis, La Mascara and Maximo.
== Other ==
IWRG-AYM Sports: Wagner & Traumas vs Canek & FdT. AYM is listed as airing the show at 11pm, an hour before LAS. Depends on when baseball games get done, as always.
Noches de Coliseo: Jerry Estrada retirement show? Secret Tuesday show I don’t find out until this show is airing?
IWL: Probably the 06/18 Arena Aficion show, but they didn’t air a new episode last week.
CMLL WMC (SUN) 08/18/2013 Deportivo SME Villa Coapa, Mexico City [Black Terry Jr. (flickr), R de Rudo]
1) Kick Dragon, Mormo, Tanque Infernal b Galáctico, Magnetico, Sky Fly
2) Ares (Aficion), Camorra, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Rey Bucanero b Big Boy, Íkaro, Sensei, Stukita
Rey Bucanero & Hijo del Pirata replaced Antar. Stukita was added to the tecnico side.
3) Keira, Princesa Blanca, Star Fire b Crazy Star (F), Davinha, La Vaquerita
Davinha and Crazy Star had problems, leading to their loss.
4) Cerebro Negro & Dr. Cerebro b Trauma I & Trauma II and Eterno & Súper Nova
Team of Belial and Tornado were announced but didn’t appear. Traumas eliminated Eterno & Super Nova, Trauma I destroying Super Nova’s knee again. Cerberos beat Trauma II with a foul.
5) Sagrado, Skándalo, Último Guerrero, Virus DQ Averno, Boby Zavala, Hijo del Lizmark, Pirata Morgan
Pirata Morgan, Lizmark and Bobby Zavala replaced Puma, Bucanero, and Tiger on Averno’s side, Virus & Skandalo replaced Felino & Nitro on the other side. Straight falls, Pirata fouling UG in the second.
The Trauma attack on Super Nova’s knee follows similar attacks in Arena Naucalpan. Texano Jr. says Super Nova will have surgery today, which is probably for that knee. (Today’s messages indicates all went okay.) Eterno & X-Fly winning the tag team titles instead of usual tag team of Eterno & Super Nova indicates someone knew this absence was coming, but it’s obvious setting up Super Nova coming back for revenge. No report of how long he’ll be out (though the tag team change again suggest it may be a while.)
AAA’s changed next Friday’s main event. Same participants, but it’s now a cage match. Not a cage of death, nothing is on the line. La Secta must have a big win if they’re to be taken seriously. Climbing out of a cage slightly ahead of someone else is not something fans usually see as a big win. (Neither is a finish where a guy gets fouled and hit by a weapon or otherwise totally cheated before losing, so it’s not just the cage.) A cage match where one of the tecnicos gets stuck behind and destroyed by the rudos before losing can be an impressive win. The easiest impressive win is someone in La Secta beating someone on the Mesias/Perro/Cibernetico side clean, but this change seems to imply there’s some difficulty in making that happen.
In other Plans Change news, the Arena Lopez Mateos CMLL Anniversary preview tag match – Sombra/Volador vs Ultimo Guerrero/Atlantis – is off and now there will just be two trios match for each feud. La Mascara & Mascara Dorada have been added to the card. I presume this is CMLL putting it’s foot down and not wanting anyone to run that tag match before they do.
CFan Deportes believes the poster for Friday’s Universal show indicates the first round matchups for the CMLL Universal tournament. This would be a break from traditional illogical seeding battle royals, but CMLL has not otherwise shown signs of stopping that dumb tradition. If the article is right, the first round matchups would be Mistico vs Averno, Terrible vs Mascara Dorada, Rush vs Rey Escorpion and Polvora vs La Mascara. Those do sound reasonable, and would set up the most likely Terrible vs Rush block final.
El Hijo del Santo’s column starts of talking about how young luchadors eventually need to be moved up to the big matches if they want to fully grow as luchadors. It’s actually a setup for a bio of (the 50s) el Gladiador, who had great ability but problems outside the ring and was eventually shot dead in a bar fight. Santo briefly mentions Saruman, Imposible, Horuz, Heddi Karoui and Zumbi as having the possibility to be big if put in bigger matches.
Rob has highlights of 02/08/13 CMLL.
Lucha Libre in Japan
Violento Jack won his first round match in the Pain Limit Deathmatch tournament, defeating HIROKI earlier today. He faces Minoru Fujita in a ladder death match tomorrow.
Sombra is preparing hard to keep his mask.
Fantasma de la Opera, promoting the Pierroth vs Diamante Azul card in Durango, says the CMLL wrestlers will go all out to please the people at the show.
Angel Dorados wanted to prove Monterrey wrestling is not all silliness.
Gallo Tapado Jr. says the Mexican fans demanded he return.
R de Rudo interviews Calle 13.
CMLL (FRI) 09/13/2013 Arena Mexico
***CMLL 80th Anniversary show***
1) Fuego, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. vs Ishii, Namajague, Shigeo Okumura
2) Brazo de Plata, Máximo, Titán vs Euforia, Mephisto, Niebla Roja
3) Negro Casas, Shocker, Terrible vs Marco Corleone, Rush, Vangelis [Relevos Increíbles]
4) Blue Panther vs Averno [hair]
5) Atlantis & Último Guerrero vs La Sombra & Volador Jr. [winners advance]
6) ? vs ?? [mask]
winning team from previous match
Terra posted the lineup, also announcing they’ll be streaming the show. It appears to be free; there’s no mention of cost. It’s odd you’d tell people you’re giving away the show for free while you’re still selling very expensive tickets, but it hasn’t appeared a lot of people are actually watching the Terra streams. (That’ll probably change this time.) I believe this will be the first CMLL Anniversary show to air video live (in one form or another) since Black Warrior vs Mistico in 2006.
Vangelis working the tercera of the show likely to draw the biggest ticket revenue in the history of the promotion is not something I would’ve guessed. Just as surprising, no Mistico, no Mascara Dorada, no Valiente. There are some gift spots being handed out here.
Tercera has a chance of being very fun with the Negro/Shocker/Rush triangle coming back into play. Opener could be good, but it’s also Ishii’s first match here. Second match could be the Titan showcase, and ensures Averno has a proper second for his hair match.
- CMLL’s road to the Anniversary show focused on Volador versus Sombra, including Volador laying out Sombra with brass knuckles and beating him in a singles match. Ultimo Guerrero has spent a lot of time feuding with former protege Rey Escorpion (beating him in Arena Mexico, losing to him in a title match in Arena Puebla) and little interacting with Atlantis. Atlantis & Ultimo Guerrero will meet in a singles match this week, but CMLL has put the emphasis on building up the feud between the younger luchadors.
- AAA’s sole taping of the last two weeks took place in Queretaro and did not progress stories much. Psycho Clown is still chasing Texano Jr. for a title shot and La Parka and Parka Negra remain feuding. AAA has begun to hype Heroes Inmortales, their next big show, but no date or location has been announced.
- CMLL announced a second (or third) match for the Anniversary show: Blue Panther and Averno will conclude their summer long feud with a hair match, where only submissions count. This will help ticket sales, which appear to be moving okay – the first three rows are already sold out. The match was announced after Averno and his friends had destroyed Panther last week, following a well received CMLL maestros versus independent maestros match in honor of Panther’s 35th anniversary.
- Eterno & X-Fly won the IWRG tag team titles from Trauma I & Negro Navarro as part of the Familia de Tijuana (Eterno/X-Fly/Super Nova) versus Traumas feud. The Traumas later put Super Nova out of action with a knee injury, and teased switching to the rudo side of this feud.
- CMLL announced the first block for it’s annual CMLL Universal tournament of champions. Rush is the favorite in the 08/23 block which also includes Mistico, Averno, Rey Escorpion, Terrible, Mascara Dorada, Polvora, and La Mascara. The 08/30 block seems to be setting up a Sombra vs Tanahashi final, with Valiente, Diamante Azul, Dragon Rojo, Virus, Titan and Mephisto (beat La Mascara for the Mexican Light Heavyweight Title at the last minute to fill out the bracket with no Liger around) also in that group.
- NJPW announced Tanahashi will be in from this Friday until the end of the Universal tournament, and Tomohiro Ishii will arrive in time for the Anniversary show (which will also be Ishii’s Mexico debut.) Tanahashi will miss that show, heading back to Japan to defend the tag team titles with Lyger against Tama Tonga & Rey Bucanero.
- SuperLuchas reported CMLL may be taking away the lucha show in Zocalo spot from Hijo del Santo. Neither CMLL or Hijo del Santo (or the official promoters of the show.) Those involved in Santo’s proposed LA Park/Santo/Wagner show seem confused on the date; Santo is saying the end of September, while Wagner is still talking about the 09/01 date. Both are unlikely.
- Electrico won the vacant Mexican Lightweight Championship (a title originally for normal sized wrestlers but brought out of mothballs as a minis championship.) There’s still no explanation of what happened to former champion Pierrothito, but he appears to be outside of CMLL.
- AAA, Pro Wrestling Revolution and Masked Republic announced a AAA seminar/tryout taking place in San Jose in the middle of
- No title changes happened on IWRG’s Night of Championships show.
- Hijo de Dos Caras, a forgettable washout in WWE and a completely anonymous luchador when (if?) he was wrestling in Mexico before his WWE stint, will main event WWL’s next shows in Mexico. There is no better example of what having a famous name will do for you in Mexico.
Shows Watched But Nothing Made The List
- CMLL Guerreros del Ring on 52MX: 2013-08-03
- CMLL on CadenaTres: 2013-08-03
- CMLL on Fox Sports (Mexico): 2013-08-03
- AAA on Televisa (Regional): 2013-08-04
Matches To Watch Later
nothing from this week.
CMLL has announced Blue Panther faces Averno in a hair versus hair match on 09/13. This will be the second apuesta match on the show, added to the already announced to the one that comes out of the Atlantis/Ultimo Guerrero vs Sombra/Volador tag match. Based on the press release, it appears the proposed “victory thru submission only” rules have been accepted by all sides.
The working theory before anything was announced was CMLL would need to have two big matches on the Anniversary show to justify the prices. It appears CMLL felt the same thing. Last year’s Anniversary show also had two apuesta matches (Rush/Terrible and Rey Cometa/Puma King.) It was the first time they’ve done it since 2003. 1993 was the last time CMLL had an Anniversary show with a main event mask match (Atlantis/Mano Negra) and semimian hair match (Negro Casas/La Fiera).
I am so thrilled this is happening on the Anniversary. It seemed like it actually might headed to the 09/16 special Monday show, because that one seems designed for another significant main event. Goya/Tiffany seemed to be dropped, but maybe they’re just stretching it out. Metalico and Hijo del Signo are suddenly booked against each this week, maybe it’s then. (Both sound like bad ideas and I’m not planning on going to Arena Mexico that Monday, so it’s all good with me.) Rush versus Negro Casas is still out there, though it hasn’t been brought up much lately.
CMLL (MON) 08/19/2013 Arena Puebla [El Popular, Porra Fresa]
1) Asturiano, Camaleón, Milenium b Artillero, Blue Center, Súper Comando
Tecnicos took 1/3. The finishing spot with Artillero & Asturiano went badly (recap says Artillero is at fault) and Asturiano suffered a dislocated left shoulder. Asturiano would later say he will be out six months.
2) Leono, Starman, Stigma b Cancerbero, Espíritu Maligno, Raziel
Stigma & Espiritu are still feuding, but the other guys finished the match.
3) Hijo del Fantasma, Stuka Jr., Titán b Kráneo, Morphosis, Psicosis
Invasors took 1/3.
4) Atlantis, Rush, Thunder b Mr. Niebla, Niebla Roja, Terrible
Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Rey Escorpión b Último Guerrero [CMLL LH]
Escorpion is champion. Seconds were Niebla Roja and Terrible. UG submitted Escorpion in the first, Escorpion submitted UG in the second, and Escorpion used a cradle and the ropes to beat UG in the third. 3rd defense.
Porra Fresa thinks they might be setting up a Espiritu Maligno versus Stigma title match. Espiritu Maligno is Puebla middleweight champion, but it’s been years since the title has been defended. (I don’t even have any record of a defense in Arena Puebla.)
El Popular’s recap mentions the 09/16 show will start at 6pm (instead of the usual 9pm.) That day looks like it’s going to be the hardest day to pick where to go.
CMLL (TUE) 08/20/2013 Arena Mexico [Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), CMLL]
1) Bengala & Sensei b Akuma & Ramstein
Tecnicos took 2/3.
2) Dalis la Caribeña, Estrellita, Goya Kong b La Comandante, La Seductora, Tiffany
Tecnicas took 1/3. Goya splashed Tiffany for the win.
3) Delta, Hijo del Fantasma, Tritón b Boby Zavala, Sangre Azteca, Shigeo Okumura
Triton moonsaulted Okumura.
4) Tiger b Diamante [lightning]
CMLL recaps says TRT has confirmed Tiger is still in the group. Tiger actually won here.
5) La Sombra, Super Porky, Thunder DQ Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Rey Escorpión
Volador pulled Sombra’s mask for the DQ. Sombra and Volador demanded an extra fall but the commission said no (again.) They still fought some more.
6) Dragón Rojo Jr. b Niebla Roja
Dragon Bomb for the win.
Dragon Rojo looks, at least from the pictures, like he’s dropped some weight.
Goya pinning Tiffany and those two not on the card next week may mean that feud is done already. Their match last week was very not good.
Clarity on TRT! Until someone changes their mind.
CMLL (TUE) 08/20/2013 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [@acogdl]
1) Esfinge & Metatrón b Demonio Maya & Évola
Tecnnicos took 1/3.
2) Magnus, Sky Kid, Soberano Jr. b Disturbio, Herodes Jr., Sádico
Tecnicos took 1/3, Sky Kid top rope plancha on Disturbio.
3) Amapola, Princesa Blanca, Princesa Sugheit b Lluvia, Luna Mágica, Marcela
Rudas took 2/3, Amapola defeating Marcela. This sets up a title match next week.
4) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Titán DQ Ephesto, Mephisto, Pólvora
Tecnicos took 1/3, Polvora fouling Angel de Oro.
5) Máscara Dorada, Mistico, Valiente b Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
Tecnicos took 1/3, Mistica on Gran Guerrero for the win.
Marcela versus Amapola probably will be a good match. Going out on a limb.
AAA has put up this week’s UTDN show early. It inculdes the opener, which didn’t air on the GalaTV show, and is apparently really good.
ChilangaMask says Shu el Guerrero is off their card, and Negro Navarro will face Rey Escorpion instead this Sunday. The promoter also says he’s talked to Valiente and he is on the show Sunday.
Mr. Reyes has photos from a weekend full of shows and more. “America VIP” appears to be another Wrestle-1 trainee using Pantera’s old America gimmick.
Perro Aguayo Jr. is relaunching his store, now with AAA merchandise along with Perro del Mal gear, and discounts this weekend. He says he does not know the reason Halloween left the group. Perro declares the only real celebration of 80 years of lucha libre was the Cibernetico vs Perro Aguayo Jr. hair match.
LuchaWorld has a recap of 08/18/13 CMLL Terra.
Rob has video of the latest Rush hard dropkick to Negro Casas.
Negro Casas would be open to facing Black Terry in a hair match (after kicking him in the eye.)
Ohtani’s Jacket watches more 2013 indy lucha.
R de Rudo writes about the history of the Mexican Powers.
CMLL (MON) 08/26/2013 Arena Puebla
1) Black Tiger & Robin vs El Malayo & Guerrero Negro Jr.
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Metálico, Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Akrón, Hijo del Signo, King Jaguar
3) Fuego, Sagrado, Tritón vs Namajague, Puma, Sangre Azteca
4) Diamante Azul, La Máscara, Super Porky vs Kráneo, Mr. Águila, Psicosis
5) Atlantis, La Sombra, Mr. Niebla vs Rush, Terrible, Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
King Jaguar’s first appearance since May. I don’t like the chances of Volador Jr.’s team keeping it together (though there really should be some Sombra/Volador vs Ultimo/Atlantis tension at this point.)
CMLL (TUE) 08/27/2013 Arena Mexico
1) Oro Jr. & Robin vs Herodes Jr. & Inquisidor
2) Soberano Jr., Stigma, Súper Halcón Jr. vs Artillero, Nitro, Súper Comando
3) Pegasso, Starman, Tritón vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Taichi
4) Rey Cometa vs Shigeo Okumura [lightning]
5) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Super Porky vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Namajague, Rey Escorpión
6) Atlantis, La Máscara, Thunder vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
That semimain is interesting. Namajague seems to be Tanahashi’s designated partner, not Taichi or Okumura. Makes for much better matches. Also, looks like the first step in Guerrero Maya Jr. winning the G1 next year.
Cadetes del Espacio team up for the third time still looking for their first win. They’re not the favorites in that one.
CMLL (TUE) 08/27/2013 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Black Metal & Leo vs Espectrum & Maléfico
2) Diamante, Fuego, Magnus vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Hooligan, Skándalo
3) Marcela vs Amapola [CMLL WOMEN]
Marcela is champion. Seventh defense.
4) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Titán vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Misterioso Jr., Pólvora
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo, Rush vs Negro Casas, Terrible, Volador Jr.
First time Bufete del Amor has teamed up since Marco’s injury.