CMLL (FRI) 03/28/2014 Arena México [CMLL, LuchaWorld, Terra]
1) Akuma & Guerrero Negro Jr. b Magnus & Robin
Rudos took 2/3, Guerrero Negro Jr. getting the deciding pin.
2) Delta, Fuego, Guerrero Maya Jr. b Boby Zavala, Misterioso Jr., Puma
Tecnicos took 2/3. Good match.
3) Dalys, Princesa Blanca, Princesa Sugheit DQ Dark Angel, Estrellita, Marcela
Straight falls. Marcela was beat by Dalys, but came back in to attack her for the DQ. Not a good match, Marcela and Dalys especially looking poor against each other.
4) La Máscara, Marco Corleone, Rush b Negro Casas, Ripper, Shocker
Straight falls (again). Rudos were DQed for excessive violence in the first, tecnicos took the second.
5) Volador Jr. b La Sombra
Volador took falls 1/3. CMLL recap notes Sombra worked as a rudo. After the win, Sombra declared he never wanted to team with Sombra but instead needed to avenge his mask loss. If mask versus hair won’t get it done, Volador offered to put his career on the line.
6) Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero b Máscara Dorada, Mistico, Valiente [CMLL TRIOS]
Estetas came in as champions. Gran Guerrero was originally listed, but replaced by Euforia on Monday. Rudos took the first (Pulpo Guerrero on Dorada, unspecified rudo with a frontcracker on Mistico.) Valiente defeated Ultimo Guerrero in the second. Euforia surprised Mistico with the Euforica Special and Niebla Roja beat Valiente in the third to win the titles. Estetas del Aire fall on their 6th defense, Guerreros Laguneros become the 26th champions, with Ultimo Guerrero winning this championship for a third time.
Second straight tecnico trios champions who looked like they were going to break the record for most defenses (8) only to get tripped up short. Bufete del Amor missed the record when Marco was hurt, and Estetas lose in a little bit of an upset. Quite an eight days for Euforia, winning both a tournament he originally wasn’t supposed in and a trios title match he wasn’t supposed to be in. (And his son got into the big tournament in between, so the whole family is on a roll.)
I keep thinking CMLL’s going to do something to get the crowd behind Rush (who ended up bleeding from the chops he took in his match), and that keeps happening. A lot more people keep thinking CMLL’s going to do something to turn Volador back rudo, but they’re staying their course there, giving him a big clean win in hopes to help things. I don’t they’re actually doing the Sombra/Volador mask vs career match, but no one thought they were doing the mask match either.
IWRG (WED) 04/02/2014 Arena Naucalpan
1) Seiya vs Fulgor II
2) Hip Hop Man & Látigo vs Atomic Star & Electro Boy
3) Centvrión, Emperador Azteca, Metaleon vs Hijo De La Bestia, Rayan, Spartan
4) Chico Che, Máscara Púrpura, Niño Hamburguesa vs Freyser, Oficial 911, Oficial AK47
5) Damián 666, Eterno, Tony Casanova vs Canis Lupus, Trauma I, Trauma II
I should’ve believed Eterno, Damian 666 really is back. Tony Casanova, another Tijuana regular, makes his debut here.
The trios title match set up last week doesn’t seem to be happening quite yet.
CMLL (FRI) 04/04/2014 Arena México
1) Magnus, Sensei, Starman vs Kamaitachi, Sangre Azteca, Shigeo Okumura
2) Goya Kong, Lluvia, Silueta vs Dalys, Princesa Blanca, Princesa Sugheit
3) Dragon Lee vs Soberano Jr. [En Busca de un Idolo]
4) Cachorro vs Star Jr. [En Busca de un Idolo]
5) Máscara Dorada, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Kráneo, Morphosis, Ripper
6) Atlantis, La Máscara, Rush vs Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Shocker
And the 2014 tournament is underway! (Which probably means I should finish the 2013 wikipedia page this week.) This is a one match shorter card than they ran last year during the tournament, which means the trios matches may be a bit longer than usual. These matches are intra-group and group versus group, so they are doing everyone versus everyone as JCR had said. That’s going to mean this is a seven week first round. Will there be a second round? (If not, that means also there will be a lot of matches which don’t matter by the end.)
CMLL seems to lose interest in tecnico trios after they’ve lost the trios titles – either they split up on their own or CMLL just forgets to book them together. I can’t see anyone in the Estetas turning, but I wonder if the semimain might give one of them a new direction.