I should’ve included this in the new update. Perhaps there will actually be things to talk about tomorrow, so let’s just put this here.
As usual, these are highlights (or at least interesting bits) from some of the recent lucha magazines. Many weeks of them, actually.
Luchas 2000 675 (2013-06-10)
- Photos from the Volador Jr/Bruni wedding, which they boast as an exclusive. Volador dressed up very nice for a guy with a blurred face. Bruni looked good as well. They rode horses to the reception. Luchas 2000 lists Tiffany, Brazo de Oro, referee Edgar, Namajague, Mima Shimoda and Nakamura along with CMLL staff and many Chicas Vuelta, Vuleta in attendane. Mask maker Bucio is listed as being there. No one masked is listed as attending (so you don’t go looking for them in the pictures.)
- Hijo del Pirata, fresh off winning a third title, says he wants to be a legend like his father and will take on all comers to do so.
- Mascara Dorada is asked about switching to tennis shoes instead of boots for his defense Negro Casas – he explains he just wanted to change things up, but shoes felt weird and will be going back to the boots. Dorada would like to win a mask this year.
- post mini match cage interviews include Demus blaming Electrico for his knee injury, and Electrico being offended about the accusation.
- Dr. Wagner doesn’t want Santo in any mask match with LA Park and calls Santo an opportunist
Luchas 2000 676 (2013-06-17)
- Sauron talks about returning to Arena puebla after four months. There’s no particular reason given, though he notes he’s worked on his body in the meantime.
- The pull out poster is a wedding shot of Bruni & Volador. Volador’s wearing a silver mask in this one.
- Alma Cobian is interviewed about the Chica Vuelta, Vuelta project. She’s in chareg of it and has been working on it for some time.
- Santo calls Wagner an opportunist
Box Y Lucha 3136 (2013-06-24/30)
- Lluvia says she was nervous before her first match and wants to lose 8 more KG.
- Marcela, preparing to go to Japan to defend her title against Ray, sounds more nervous about her daughter’s upcoming debut. She’s training with Virus & Franco Colombo (instead of Marcela’s own classes, I guess – or maybe in addition to them?)
- a profile of Guadalajara teacher Flash mentions he started as “Fantastico” and is training wrestlers on Gimnasio Mutualista in the center of town.
Luchas 2000 677 (2013-06-24)
- A preview of the crazy IWRG IC Lightweight title elimination match lists experience, maestros, styles and favorite moves for each luchador. (Also quotes, but the quotes aren’t as fun.)
- Eita: 2 years a luchador, El Apache is Maestro, style is Dragon Gate, favorite hold is “Head Lock”
- Dragon Celestial: 3 years, trained by Pantera & Black Terry, rudo style, “one I’ve invented but not yet named”
- Astro Rey Jr.: 3 years, trained by Hijo del Gladiador & Kahoz, tecnico, “I use many differnet holds to submit people”
- Fulgor II: 3 years, trained by Engimigo Public, Chapulin Negro, Dark Devil, Angel Negro, Durango Kid Jr., Black Terry, style rudo, “arm barr” [sic]
- Sky Angel: 3 years, trained by Black Terry & Bombero Infernal, tecnico, La Campana
- Seiya: 2 years, trained by Hijo del Gladiador, Skayde, Fuerza Guerrera, Black Terry, Lady Apache & Cinthia Moreno, style is “rudo-tecnico”, holds are “scorpion y neck destroyer”
- Imposible: 5 years, trained by Negro Navarro, rudo, “Imposible Special”
- Galaxy: 1.5 years, trained by Ringo Mendoza, Roy Reyes, Oficial 911 and Black Terry, tecnico stytle, “Royita & Llave del Delfin [Delfin Clutch?]“
Imposible’s hold should be called the “Nada”. Seiya may have meant “neck breaker” or “Canadian Destroyer”, but I totally believe he uses a neck destroyer. The entire undercard seems to use that finish.
- Morphosis says he has the documents to prove he owns the name Histeria, showed them to Paco Alonso, and will start wrestling under his ‘original’ name in CMLL soon.
- Decnnis mentions his debut was against “Vangellys y sus Hermanos”. I did not know Vangeils had wrestlingbrothers. He credits Senor Contreras for letting him into AAA’s school and mentions training in Torero Gym in a group led by Charly Manson & Picudo with classmates like Intocable, Billy Boy, Drago, Ozz, Escoria, and Chayanne (?)
- Mascara Dorada, fresh off defeating Averno, would like to give some younger guys a chance – like Tiger and Puma. Mascara Dorada for programmer!
Luchas 2000 678 (2013-07-01)
- 12 pages on the TxT show
- Barbaro Cavernario is a 5 year vet at 19 years old. Black Metal is a relatively old 24.
- Mascara Sagrada Jr. talks about his history (though not about the bit where he lost his mask once already), and hypes upcoming July appearances in IWRG. He didn’t make those appearances, but his alter ego Emo Extreme did.
- RCH promotion plans to shake up lucha libre by running big cards for cheap prices. That’s a tough business plan. They plan on expanding to Arena Lopez Mateos & Plan Sexenal.
Box Y Lucha 3137 (2013-07-01/07)
I’m giving these the short shift, but I’m reading these out of order and there’s less that’s new/interesting by this point
- An interview with Blue Panther after he was given his award by the Durango Congress
- Daga’s dream match would be against Dynamite Kid. If he had to have a retriement match today, it’d be against Eterno.
Luchas 2000 679 (2013-07-08)
- Solar’s made 50 trips to Japan
- a luchador named Vamper put on a lucha show with CMLL wrestlers in Cancun (at a hotel, for tourists) and has plans for more. It seems like there should be these regular shows, but I would imagine the people who run them figure the tourists have no idea who the stars are and can just bring in cheaper local guys
- Shu el Guerrero is teaching Rostro Infernal, Scanner, and Demoledor
- this is where the magazine starts faithfully covers Santo’s injuries.
Luchas 2000 680 (2013-07-15)
- Monsther introduces his new tag team partner, Nortux la Momia.
- there are ads taken out to wish Hijo del Santo well.
Box Y Lucha 3139 (2013-07-15/21)
- Extreme Tiger would work a CMLL show if they called (though it doesn’t sound like full time.) He refers to Mr. Aguila & Averno vs Decnnis & Extreme Tiger as a CMLL vs AAA match we couldn’t even dream off.
- Sangre Fria declares he’s got the rights to that name and is unhappy with with Sangre Fria Jr. using it without his permission
- Gallego trainees Maligno, Rayito Mendoza, Rayito, Principe Dragon, Principe del Malo are interviewed.
Luchas 2000 682 (2013-07-29)
- 8 pages (20% of the magazine) on the first Villano V show.
- Saruman explains he filled in on the rudo side, liked it, and didn’t like how Golden Magic kept hitting him in matches, so he decided to make a change. He doens’t feel like he’s a rudo or tecnico, just a luchador.
- El Santo shows off the legal documents proving he’s got the rights to the Nieto del Santo name and Axel will be fined every time he uses it going forward. Also, many people who work for TxT (and a few who don’t) talk about how a new documentary about Hijo del Santo which was produced by his wife. They all thought it was great.
SuperLuchas 506 (2013-07-29)
- Sahori, “joven veterna”, says she spent time away from lucha to take care of her sons but they told her to come back. She says he’s coming back to CMLL soon (which she’s said for a few years.)
- Pentagon Jr. says Octagon Jr. got scared and booked himself in the US just so he wouldn’t have to face Pentagon Jr. This is a repeat but it’s still good. Pentagon Jr. has now moved onto ending Octagon.
- recap of the 07/29 Casanova show has funny shot of Hijo del Ninja driving away with cousin Ultimo Ninja passed out in the passenger seat (Hijo del Ninja had beat him up and stuffed him in the car.)
- Demus again says Electrico damaged his knee in the cage match and will get his revenge. His rehab consisted of water therapy the first month, then resistance therapy. He plans to be back in time for Dia de Muertos. Besides Electrico, Demus also wants Bam Bam & Shockercito’s hair, and then go after Virus to get his spot in the main division. Demus also has plans on doing the bodybuilding contest, and winning after being 2nd and 3rd the last to years. In the meantime, and since he likes being in the gym, he’s teaching a class with Tony Salazar (7 to 9p, Mondays thru Thursdays) which includes both men and women. Some of the women were among those on Arena Aragon show in July, which was well covered in all of the magazines.
- there’s a countdown list of most inexplicable 90s characters. #4 is Las Super Torugas (Pedro, Pablo, Lucas, Juan), third rate Ninja Turtles. #3 is Hovvold (pronounced Hubble), a mutant bat. #2 is Alce Gym, apparently a sponsored luchador in a monster outfit (but not a very athletic one.) #1 is El Nene, the same guy who played Dollar (and said here to portray Antonio Pena parody ‘Tono el Chueco’ in Promo Azteca) as a giant fat baby.
Box Y Lucha 3141 (2013-07-29 to 2013-08-04)
- Joshua (grandson of El Brazo, nephew of La Mascara) is training in Virus’ class to become the first fourth generation member of the Alvardo family. I don’t see an age listed, but he looks in his early teens (if even that; he’s years away.)
- Polvora lists his favorite hold as Explosion Infernal. I have no idea what that is. Maybe the new move? Tony Salazar and he came up with his name. Polvora likes Doritos.
- Interviews with Hippie (Martin) & Tony Escobedo (long hair, looking like a HIppie) and Barbaro Cavernario both happen to bring up wanting to go for the (vacant, shelved) Occidente Tag Team titles. Barbaro wants to team with his brother, Demonio Rojo.
- Los Black Hunters want a shot at the Mexican Trios titles, though no one seems to mention exactly who that would be, and Black Hunter I & II (brothers) note they’re actually Guatemalan by birth (and thus not actually eligible! – unless maybe there’s Guatemala trios titles they’re aiming for.) III says he’s not related but the son of a Guatamelan father and an Italian mother who considers himself Mexican.