GALLI (SUN) 02/10/2013 Arena Galli [ChicagoProWrestling, thecubsfan]
***Tribute show for Tigre Oriental***
1) Andrew Demented b Cyrus Phoenix
Billed as tryout match. Cyrus Phoenix is Mr. 90210. Phoenix hit Demented with three cane shots, Demented hit Phoenix with his stuffed animal duck from the middle rope for the win
2) Diego Corleone & Justa Mazing b Alex Olson & Wild Windham
Mazing came off the top rope with a knee to the back of Olson’s head for the win
3) Golden Dragon & Matt Creed b Chico Suave & El Traidor
Golden reverse DDT on Chico to take the match
4) Mike Anthony, Punisher 747, Ripper b El Funebre, El Traidor, Emperador Azteca
GALLI rudos (effecitely tecnicos here) wanted revenge on Ripper for turning and joinging the UWC stable, and attacked him most of the match. Ripper still beat Traidor after a Fuerza punt
5) Jon Morales, Matt Knicks, Ovirload b Chris Castro, Will Moah, Willie Richardson
Morales beat Castro with a loaded punch
6) Atomico & Discovery b Mason Conrad & Mojo Mcqueen
McQueen is current GALLI WORLD champion (not Discovery’s belt). Discovery beat Conrad for the pin. Conrad (Syndicate) and McQueen (UWC) were upset with each other after the match, Conrad acting as if McQueen cost him the match (possible have tripped from outside by accident, but I missed it if it happened.)
Using the results over at ChicagoProWrestling to make sure I’ve got results right
Tigre Oriental’s son spoke to the crowd before the show, thanking the fans, wrestlers and promotion for the support. The show felt like a tribute show – storylines weren’t ignored but it wasn’t a storyline show.
Opening guys appeared to be still figuring out the wrestling thing. Three cane shots, with no referee distraction and not really much selling of them, would’ve been absurd on it’s own. It was even stranger on what was worked mostly as a comedy match. If it truly was a tryout match, I’d let them work more elsewhere before giving them another tryout.
Second match also seemed like guys who were unaware they were doing a match in front of a family lucha audience. Olson looked like a smaller Jack Evans, didn’t quite wrestle like one (not that he’s bad, but it’s a big hill to climb.) Windham kind of looked like a Windham. Diego Corleone looks like a more homeless and deranged Buckhouse Buck. Justa Mazing (maybe ACH with a military jacket?) had a good luck, presence and some skill you wouldn’t expect from someone going by such a silly name; he was the best guy in this match, but the show was dragging at this point.
Chico Suave – who’s the former ref
who was exotico Valentino before that (CORRECTION: he’s not!) – remains and entertaining personality. This was a fun brawl and much better than two matches which came before it.
GALLI rudos, who are usually cheered strongly by the rudo part of the anyway, got in a lot on Ripper before the finish and the crowd got into it. This might be something that works well for a while. Funebrecito got invoked, but also got spanked.
Matt Knicks had a fantastically horrible jeans jacket vest. Ovirload had great looking gold and black gear, including an outstanding mask. Will Moah is a barefooted Samoan doing the hard head gimmick, and yet the rudos got control of the match by kicking him in the head. Besides that, match was a good US style match with Moah and then Richardson being stuck in before they finally got the hot tag and went to the finish. I don’t think I’ve seen Castro before – or maybe I only haven’t seen him unmasked – but he seemed to have a good personality here.
Atomico had an Atomico Jr., who was dressed up as Chapulin Colorado for reasons unexplained. Nothing about Atomico makes sense, which is kind of the draw. Match was kind of worked around him, with Discovery being stuck in the ring for a long time before making the hot tag, and Atomico getting back out before too much. I did not see the finish coming so I totally missed if McQueen actually did anything; Conrad was yelling at him for screwing up, but not sure if he meant something Mojo did (an accidental trip) or something Mojo didn’t (not returning to break the pin.) Possible they’re setting up a Conrad vs Mojo title match, but they didn’t point strongly to it here.
Last 4 matches were all fun, totally worth $10.
Notimex has a story about the Brazos Family show this Sunday. A representative of the charity orgazinationally that’ll be supported by the show pushes it as the first show with 19 different family members on it, and hypes the family unit as a whole as on the same level as El Santo and Blue Demon. (No.) They expect to draw 2,000 people to Arena Neza, though it doesn’t appear they’ll actually be announcing matches before hand.
LuchaWorld watches a Thunder match, survives to record a podcast.
Rob has highlights of 01/22/13 CMLL.
R de Rudo talks to Texano Jr. about his father giving him that name and his current open challenge.
AAA has a Cibernetico paper toy.
Black Fire talks about getting a title shot on the upcomign DTU show, and his other job as wrestling coach.
AULL will honor Lola Gonzalez & Fray Tormenta by teaming them with Magnus.
CMLL (TUE) 02/19/2013 Arena Mexico
1) Oro Jr. & Robin vs Akuma & Espanto Jr.
2) Leono, Metálico, Soberano Jr. vs Bobby Zavala, Disturbio, Hijo del Signo
3) Fuego, Hijo del Fantasma, Sagrado vs Puma, Sangre Azteca, Virus
4) Diamante vs Tiger [lightning]
5) Ángel de Oro, Atlantis, Máximo vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Mephisto, Pólvora
6) Blue Panther, Diamante Azul, Super Porky vs Felino, Negro Casas, Rey Escorpión
I see they’re back to splitting up trios for no apparent reason.
CMLL (TUE) 02/19/2013 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Divino & El Ídolo vs Demonio Maya & Demonio Rojo
2) Esfinge & Gallo vs Bárbaro Cavernario & Exterminador
3) Goya Kong, Luna Mágica, Marcela vs La Vaquerita, Tiffany, Zeuxis
4) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Tritón vs Black Warrior, Ephesto, Vangelis
5) La Sombra, Mistico, Valiente vs Averno, Mr. Niebla, Volador Jr.
Mistico’s return quietly continues. Main event could be fun depending on him and Niebla.
Vaquerita was a tecnica when she appeared in Puebla in November.
V5 (SAT) 03/16/2013 Gimnasio Juan De La Barrera
***Villano V retirement show***
1) Corsario Negro Jr., Eragón, Extreme Boy, Pankratos vs Fresero Jr., Gallego, Mohicano, Romano Garcia
2) Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro, Kaving, Kortiz vs Eita, Fenix (AAA), Freelance, Mike Segura
3) Black Terry, Negro Navarro, Trauma I, Trauma II vs Barba Roja, Pirata Morgan, Pirata Morgan Jr., Scorpio Jr.
4) Pantera, Rayman, Super Astro, Súper Muñeco vs Chessman, Cien Caras Jr., Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Villano III
5) Ray Mendoza Jr. & Villano IV vs El Mesías & Mil Mascaras and Máscara Año 2000 & Rayo de Jalisco Jr. and Casandro & Hijo de Pirata Morgan and Cien Caras & Dr. Wagner Jr. and LA Park & Universo 2000 and Solar I & Toscano [ruleta de la muerte, hair, mask]
losing team loses their hair and mask
Ruleta de la Muerte’s are usually only one person losing their mask or hair, so something seems wrong with that main event. The only two teams where it’s possible both guys would lose are the Villano team (which would be weird on a retirement show) or Casandro & Hijo de Pirata Morgan. If it really is a mask and a hair, it’s probably the second – Hijo del Pirata has been a big part of IWRG, but this is probably the biggest stage on unless he (re)joins a bigger group. I just have trouble accepting they’ll actually have two people lose and probably won’t believe until it happens.
FULL (SAT) 03/16/2013 Centro Civico de Ecatepec, EdM
1) Marabunta Jr. vs Scrash
2) Calo Jr. & Charly Madrid vs Maiden & Rider
3) El Brazo, Fabi Apache, Mascarita Sagrada vs Gran Apache, Mini Abismo Negro, Sexy Lady
4) El Hijo de Aníbal, El Nieto Del Santo, Pimpinela Escarlata vs Monster Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown
5) Dr. Wagner Jr., Electroshock, Tinieblas Jr. vs Cien Caras Jr., el Hijo del Perro Aguayo, Máscara Año 2000 Jr.
A FULL show for the same day, which is just more notable for being the same day in the same area. This show starts an hour and a half after the other one, so Cien Caras Jr. and Dr. Wagner Jr. should be able to make both. Both shows sure look like Wagner getting booked thru AAA and not on his own.
This is the usual weekend for Dos Leyendas, and the AAA’s Rey de Reyes is expected to happen (though hopefully not in Mexico City.)