SUPER X (SUN) 01/06/2013 Arena del Sur, Mexico City [Black Terry Jr. (flickr), Estrella del Ring]
1) Psico Kid b Astro de Plata (IWRG), Lucky Boy, Buckwild, Aeroboy, Mike Segura, Freelance, Atomic Star [Torneo Juventud Guerrera]
4 on 4 cibernetico. Psico Kid beat Freelance for the win.
2) Zumbi b Tribal
fans were split; women were happy when Zumbi won, men not so much
3) Aerostar b Eterno
Said to be good. Eterno, as leader of Faccion X, was about to lose when Lucky Boy, Tribal y Atomick Star ran in to help Eterno, then left. Aerostar surprised Eterno with a ‘rana before they even got to the back. Rudos all ran back in, but Juvi ran them off.
4) Taya Valkyrie COR Fabi Apache
not a good match
5) Electroshock b Fenix (AAA), Drago (AAA), Joe Lider
Fenix pinned Joe Lider, Electroshock powerbombed Drago 3 times, Electroshock beat Fenix for the win. Taya confronted Electroshock for no obvious reason post match, but it turned out to be a setup for Halloween to make a surprise appearance, spearing Electroshock and Fenix. Rudos went after Fenix’s mask until the tenicos ran them off.
January seems to be the restart month for the smaller Mexico City promotions. No next show announced. This show was said to be overall good. Psico Kid and Buckwild appear to be foreigners. The strange Eterno stable actually goes back to the previous Super X show in July.
TORYUMON MEXICO (SUN) 01/06/2013 Sala de Armas Magdalena Mixhuca [Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Estrellas del Ring]
1) Gato Negro & Vortize b Archi Veloz & Leonidas
one of the members of the losing team – Leonidas? – appeared to be an unmasked Comando Negro
2) Taurus & Zumba b Akuma & Guerrero Negro Jr. [Copa Dragon, quarterfinal]
3) Celestick I & Celestick II b El Hacha & Piel Roja [Copa Dragon, quarterfinal]
4) Dowki & Hanaoka b Platino & Vortize [Copa Dragon, quarterfinal]
5) Hijo del Signo & Rolling Jr. DQ Horuz & Soberano Jr. [Copa Dragon, quarterfinal]
out of character excessive violence DQ on the tecnicos
6) Celestick I & Celestick II b Taurus & Zumba [Copa Dragon, semifinal]
7) Dowki & Hanaoka b Hijo del Signo & Rolling Jr. [Copa Dragon, semifinal]
8) Celestick I & Celestick II b Dowki & Hanaoka [Copa Dragon, final]
9) La Máscara & Último Dragón b Negro Casas & Último Guerrero
Dragon pinned Negro, asked for a shot Negro’s title.
No idea who the Hermano Celesticks are. Don’t seem to be foreigners. Magnus appeared to award the winners medals.
I kind of want to see Negro Casas vs Ultimo Dragon, which tells you it’s been a long time since I’ve seen an Ultimo Dragon match. I should know better.
Taurus changed his look here to no shirt, long trunks and long hair coming out of the back of his mask. He looks a lot like a certain main eventer.
Mistico and other news
There’s no update on Mistico’s injury. On CMLL’s Facebook page, a person who says they were at the show says Mistico tried a springboard dive, something went wrong, and he landed badly on his left shoulder.
I did find it interesting that the Yahoo! Deportes recap of Tuesday’s show mentioned Mistico was leaving to Japan on Monday. It looks like most of the guys on the tour are not going out until Wednesday, but it would figure that Mistico had additional press/sponsor engagements in Japan prior to FantasticaMania. I’m sure Mistico will be going to those shows to at least wave at the crowd and sign autographs unless he’s specifically barred from getting on an airplane, but that Monday plane flight might be when they have to own up to whatever the deal is.
(It’s also kind of crazy how numb we are to these injuries. It’s a bad week for CMLL – Pequeno Nitro hurt on Sunday, Guerrero Negro knocking himself out on Monday, Angel de Oro hurting his knee on Tuesday, and Mistico going down with who knows what on Wednesday – there’s not a single update on any of them, and no one’s really phased by it. I’m not sure people should be, because it just how CMLL handles all injuries from the most severe to the mild, but I’m assuming a guy who was taken to the emergency room is going to be cool to be on a long plane flight four days later. Luchadors are tough and crazy, but we have no idea what’s going on.)
Sin Cara returned to Mexico this weekend to open up a gym. It’s always either a gym or a restaurant with luchadors. Tercera Caida and MedioTiempo were there for the opening of the gym; they plan to expand to a wrestling school in March where Dr. Karonte and one to be named will teach. To me, the big news is finding out that it’s Mini Murder Clown that’s related to Sin Cara, but others may take note of his WWE and Mistico II comments. Sin Cara shot down a rumor that his contract runs out in February, a rumor I had not heard. Maybe someone thought he had a two year deal? Not that someone in his spot would be leaving right before WrestleMania. Sin Cara says he’d never rule out returning to Mexico but he’s happy in WWE and credits Rey Misterio for helping mentor him. Sin Cara said he likes Dragon Lee (and his brother) and would have nothing bad to say about him, but the name Mistico is not an easy one to handle and it took him many years to be able to do it.
As much rumored, Angelico is the new star of a YouTube promotion. No, no, not the CMLL one – he’s part of Addias’ #allin campaign. This is really cool.
Super Muneco was honored for 30 years of wrestling at an 01/06 Auditorio de Tijuana show. (He actually reaches 30 under that character in November.) He won the main event trios match. Bestia 666 beat Extreme Tiger & Hijo de Rey Misterio II in the semimain.
Also in Tijuana, Rey Misterio Sr. was honored for his contributions to the city as part of awards to 20 people in the fields of education, music or sports. The mayor is quoted as saying Misterio turned outsider’s negative impression of Tijuana to a positive one.
This guest column on SuperLuchas responding to the TDN Tribunal show from last month was really good. They went over the points the luchadors made, gave them credit where they made sense and pointed out where they were wrong. It’s thorough and well thought out.
This week’s Tercera Caida has an interview with Sin Cara and recaps of a lot of shows over the last few weeks.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
- Hijo del Santo remembers his friend Emilio Charles Jr.
- La Parka says both he and Cibernetico have made mistakes in the past, but they’re going to move past their personal issues to help strengthen the AAA Army. Parka doesn’t know where Dorian & Konnan found this Parka Negra and Pentagon Jr., but there are plenty of good AAA luchadors they can use to combat them.
- Dinastia thinks he has what it takes to beat Mini Psicosis and win the AAA minis title back for AAA, since he did beat him in a trios match. He’s thankful for Drago both saving him from the double Psicosis post match attack and offering to be his second.
- Chik Tormenta wants to be on the FCK show next weekend in Coalcalco. It reads like a setup to get her in the high flyers multi-person match they’re doing on that show.
- Also, Matt Cross keeps including me on his threats to Daga, so I should link one of them here.
- Rey Escorpion is ready for his trip to Japan. He and Rush are going to slap each other very hard.
- The Fake WWE wrestlers are back in Arena Coliseo Monterrey this weekend.
- Mr. Reyes has a long but fun look at the sights he saw the last couple of weeks.
- La Catedral posts his appearance count for CMLL DF wrestlers, doesn’t want CMLL to bring in foreign names who won’t be motivated to have good matches and would like to see Santo make peace with CMLL.
- Lady Puma receives her LuchaMania Monterrey award for luchadora of the year.
- SuperLuchas starts a look at 10 wrestlers to follow in 2013 with Titan.
- The top 15 matches of Argentina’s 100% Lucha.
- Segunda Caida checks out the 01/01 CMLL matches.
Lucha Libre in Japan (or the Ricky Marvin section)
01/06 NOAH: Ricky Marvin [O] & Yoshnari Ogawa b Mitsuhiro Kitamiya [X] & Katsuhiko Nakajmia
In post match interviews, Marvin said he had not signed a deal with NOAH for 2013 (he’s talked about that to Spanish language press but this still seems to be news to the Japanese language.) He will still appear for NOAH, but only on occasion as a guest foreign wrestler, and is not due back until March.
Ricky Marvin & Super Crazy are defending the GHC (NOAH) Junior Tag Team Championships versus Fenix & Pesadilla in Veracruz on 01/26. I haven’t seen a full card but I’d expect the other Marvins are part of the show; Mini Histeria was doing radio interviews to promote the show this past week.
IWRG (SUN) 01/13/2013 Arena Naucalpan
1) Galaxy & Serpiente de Oro vs Araña de Plata Jr. & Dragón Celestial
2) Seiya & Yack vs Eita & Imposible
3) Dave The Clown, Niko, Rothen Clown vs Factor, Rayan, Spartan
4) el Ángel, Golden Magic, Veneno vs Canis Lupus, Carta Brava Jr., Oficial 911
5) Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Texano Jr., Toscano vs Negro Navarro, Trauma I, Trauma II
Forget Toscano – is Yack back on the side of good?
CMLL (MON) 01/14/2013 Arena Puebla
1) Dinámikoo & Milenium vs Ares & Centauro de Fuego
2) Asturiano, Magnus, Oro Jr. vs Bobby Zavala, Disturbio, Espiritu Maligno
3) Dark Angel, Estrellita, Luna Mágica vs Princesa Blanca, Princesa Sugheit, Zeuxis
4) Sagrado vs Tiger [lightning]
5) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Máscara Dorada vs Black Warrior, Namajague, Shigeo Okumura
6) Blue Panther, Shocker, Super Porky vs Kráneo, Mr. Águila, Psicosis
Main event is a rematch of last week’s semimain; does seem like a Mexican Trios title match is coming up here.
AAA UWE (SAT) 01/19/2013 Arena Lopez Mateos
1) Chico del Barrio, Rey Krystal, Spider Boy vs Cyber Punk, El Exorcista, Guru
2) Felina Metalica, La Vaquerita, Lady Sensacion vs Chik Tormenta, Keira, La Jarochita
3) Epitafio, Leviatham, Samael, Tormento vs Aero Boy, Dement Extreme, Paranoiko, Violento Jack
4) Flamita, Rocky Santana, Zumbi vs Black Terry, Fuerza Guerrera, Sádico
5) el Hijo del Perro Aguayo, LA Park, Texano Jr. vs Monster Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown
This replaces the LA Park/La Parka/Parka Negra main event. They still have partners who didn’t get along. I don’t have any where near enough data to figure this out, but I wonder if ‘feuding partners’ actually outdraws just having the people face off. My impression is people are less interested in a show when the advertised main event is designed to fail (and fans must want to see which guy is better), but there’s definitely a school of though that lucha fans just want to see a ‘incident’ and a trios team turning on each other counts as that.
Wonder if the Terry/Fuerza feud is acknowledged here.
BSW (FRI) 01/25/2013 Auditorio de Tijuana
1) Black Zaygon vs Silencio Negro
2) Eternus & Tapatio Jr. vs Dementor & Pitbull
3) Angel Garces, Star Boy, Urzus vs Angel Negro, El Profeta, King Azteca
4) Mortiz vs Arandú [TLC]
5) El Hijo Del Santo & Rayo de Jalisco Jr. vs Cien Caras Jr. & Dr. Wagner Jr.
Sort of the Neza match, with Santo & Caras in for Demon & Solitario.