CMLL (WED) 08/22/2012 Arena Lopez Mateos [Black Terry Jr. (flickr), Estrellas del Ring, R de Rudo]
1) Ángel de la Noche, Angel del Amor, Mr. Flama DQ Casi Muerto, Decadente, Psicopata
2) Princesa Blanca & Princesa Sugheit b Estrellita & Goya Kong
3) Chucho el Roto & Iron Love b Epitafio & Leviatham and Judas el Traidor & Rey Krimen [AULL TAG]
Chucho el Roto & Iron Love won the tag titles back from Epitafio & Leviatham, but it was a single elimination match and they beat Judas to do it. Judas was strechered out.
4) Villano III, Villano IV, Villano V b Negro Navarro, Robin Maravilla, Rocky Santana
Sets up a trios title match on the next show.
5) Atlantis, La Máscara, Mistico b Mephisto, Rey Escorpión, Último Guerrero
Rudos jumped Mistico as he walked to the ring. Tecnicos rallied back to win 2/3. Mistico cradled UG in the second (where Atlantis also got a pin), then landed the SSP and submitted UG in the 3rd.
Attendance looks good, though not a sell out. Really, the one attendant who mattered is New Mistico; there’s absolutely no mention of any injury here, so CMLL dodged a bullet. Getting back to attendances, the WON had a bunch of recent Mistico ones:
08/15 Queretaro: 2,600 (capacity is 3,700)
08/16 Pachuca: 1,800 (capacity is around 2,000)
08/20 Puebla: 4,500 (capacity is 5,500)
I’d would strongly argue Niebla vs Volador had something to do with the Puebla number. Again, no sellouts. At the same time, CMLL and the local promoter had given up on running in Pachuca and seemed to be doing less with Queretaro. Mistico improved business, justnot as much as they’d like and maybe not as much as it should’ve
Mistico costs 12,000 ($912 US) to book and promoters must bring in at least six CMLL wrestlers to get him, he’s not coming in alone or working singles matches. CMLL is also rumored to be taking 75% of the booking fee for themselves; they only normally take 20%, but Dragon Lee is giving a lot more for the name change. He’s probably doing a better than he did as Dragon Lee, but not as much as the old guy. Mistico is the star of all of his matches and the man going home with the smallest paycheck.
Puma King hyped up his mask match by saying he used to be a fan of Rey Cometa, but no longer, Cometa’s just his path to glory. Cometa continues to point to his experience edge – he’s been wrestling for 13 years to Puma’s 6 – and he’s always been looking for these sorts of matches. CMLL says Puma/Cometa will be either third or fourth on the card, but they haven’t decided yet.
Terrible was asked about Rush’s wins in hair matches, but Terrible dismissed them as lesser quality wins over a Japanese kid (Yoshihashi) and a guy from the segundas (Loco Max), while Terrible has beaten legends of lucha libre. Rush said he doesn’t need a chair or glass to beat Terrible, just his own hands. Rush proceeded to headbutt Terrible during the photograph.
CMLL says Anniversary show tickets for kids in the balcony and bleachers will be 10 pesos ($0.76). They want to fill Arena Mexico, and are not as concerned with making money.
The CMLL.com description of the Leyenda de Azul tournament says it will feature the “best Light Heavyweights and Heavyweights.” You’re out of luck, Freesbe. The Gen12 guys are hyped as trainees of Franco Colombo. CMLL.com also comes up with the nicknames “Bolido Especial” for Rey Cometa and “Zar de la Maldad” for Terrible.
Tanahashi arrived in Mexico yesterday, and took some pictures before heading for the beach. Not sure why CMLL didn’t just wait one day and have him at their press conference too, but whatever. He’d like to face Mascara (since he beat his team for the trios titles a couple years ago) or Volador (since he’s in good form) on Friday, and can’t imagine losing the Universal tournament. He better work on his imagination before Friday. Tanahashi is being advertised as working on the 09/12 NJPW show, so he’s in just for the three upcoming Fridays.
Luchas 2000′s preview of their Puebla recap shows Mr. Niebla sure bleed a lot. On the rare cases of CMLL luchadors have purposefully bled in recent years, it’s always been a relatively small amount, so I wonder if he was Niebla was actually hurt.
AAA launched a bunch of new Twitter accounts in the last couple days
* Lolita : @Lolita_luchaAAA
* Dr Wagner Jr. : @drwagnerjraaa
* El Hijo del Perro : @hijodelperroaaa
* Cibernético: @cibernetico_aaa
* Faby Apache: @fabyapacheaaa
* El Elegido: @elegidoaaa
* el Mesías: @elmesias_aaa
@Octagon_realAAA also is up, but it’s not mentioned in the press release. Maybe he doesn’t get until he turns back tecnico.
They immediately posted the same hello message on most of the accounts within seconds of opening, which makes them all look very fake. They all just follow each other, Dorian, AAA’s social media’s guy, and a couple of the social media guy’s friends. (Lolita’s was up first, and doesn’t follow the ones that came after her, but she does follow Sexi Star.) These are all useless as is.
There is a Mesias twitter already – @elmesiasaaa – though it also appears to be someone posting stuff in his name with some approval instead of Mesias doing it himself. Perro sort of has a Twitter too, depending on who’s in charge of the PerrosdelMalMX twitter. Last year, AAA started a La Parka twitter (@parka_aaa), which was very obviously being run by the AAA’s press people but was eventually changed to being run by La Parka himself. That may be the idea with these accounts; use the office people as training wheels and hand them off to wrestlers down the line, but it was a poor way to intro
For those of you who are on Twitter – which luchadors are worth following? Which ones are annoying? I like Magnus because he’s entertaining and never floods my Twitter feed with too many messages (his Facebook account looks similiar, but who else should we all be checking out on Twitter? Or on Facebook? (If I sign up for Facebook, it’s just to follow Los Colisenos.)
Lucha Legends is selling licensed CMLL action figures. They’ve got Atlantis, Shocker, masked Averno and Mistico (original flavor) figures for $25 each, but are only taking preorders so far.
IWL says they will have a TV taping on 09/16. The show will air on “Channel 159 on Cablevision”; there is no channel 159 on Cablevision in Mexico City. IWRG used to be on VibraTV on channel 158, so I presume that’s what this is about. Few people knew the IWRG show existed so it’s hard to believe IWL will do much better, but we’ll be able to see it. Lineup to be announced next week.
- The 09/04 CMLL @ Arena Queretaro show has Puma King on the card, but no Rey Cometa. It would make a lot of sense to do Cometa/Puma in Cometa’s home arena, but since they seem to be running here every second Tuesday, it wouldn’t come until after the mask match.
- The Original Huracan Ramirez is coming to Berwyn, according to this poster. That would involve bringing someone back from the dead, so good luck! I guess we need a lightning storm soon. Someday, I will make it out to a wrestling show again.
- The main event of DTU’s show in Arena Aficion went to a three way draw.
- Dos Caras Sr. says he’s considering retiring soon.
- Hector Garza and Humberto Garza Jr. talk about ColiseoMania
- Video of Rush vs Okada, which I’m sure comes from IVPVideos.
CMLL (TUE) 08/28/2012 Arena Mexico
1) Camaleón & Robin vs Guerrero Negro Jr. & Herodes Jr.
2) Dalis la Caribeña, Lady Afrodita, Luna Mágica vs La Seductora, Princesa Sugheit, Zeuxis
3) Fuego, Pegasso, Triton vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Hooligan, Skándalo
4) Sagrado vs Mephisto [lightning]
5) Diamante, Diamante Azul, Hijo del Fantasma vs Namajague, Shigeo Okumura, Vangelis
6) Ángel de Oro, Máscara Dorada, Titán vs Averno, Euforia, Pólvora
Titan’s getting that shot next week (if he can win this week.) And that’s a pretty good main event to set it up.
CMLL (TUE) 08/28/2012 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Divino & Javier Cruz vs Sádico & Thunder Boy
2) Leo & Soberano Jr. vs Èvola & Ráfaga
3) Dark Angel, Lluvia, Marcela vs Amapola, La Comandante, Princesa Blanca
4) Smaker vs Barbaro Cavernario [OCCIDENTE MIDDLE]
Decision match for vacant championship.
5) Atlantis & Shocker vs Terrible & Último Guerrero
Sorry Raziel. (Really, sorry Smaker, who won’t get to work with Raziel.) That’s the only change in the lineup announced prematurely – and they still haven’t removed Dark Angel from the tercera.
IWRG (SUN) 08/26/2012 Arena Naucalpan
1) Galaxy vs Infierno Kid
2) Dinamic Black & Radical vs Eita & Imposible
3) Chicano, Freyser, Tony Rivera vs Factor, Rayan, Spartan
4) Relampago, Trauma II, Veneno vs El Hijo del Medico Asesino, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Súper Nova
5) Hijo de LA Park, Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr., Negro Navarro vs Cien Caras Jr., Heddi Karaoui, Hijo de Máscara Año 2000
Freyser returns. I guess we find out if Chicano has turned rudo or is just not getting along with Golden Magic.