CMLL (TUE) 07/05/2022 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Dr. Karonte I, Dr. Karonte II, Grako b Apocalipsis, Cholo, Príncipe Odín Jr.
2) Dalys, Reyna Isis, Stephanie Vaquer b La Jarochita, Lluvia, Marcela
Reyna Isis replaced Hera. Rudas took 2/3.
3) Espanto Jr. b Rugido
Espanto took 2/3. Oddly a three fall match when most singles matches this year have been one fall.
4) Dark Panther, Guerrero Maya Jr., Star Jr. b Cancerbero, Luciferno, Rey Bucanero
Tecnicos took 2/3.
5) Negro Casas, Stuka Jr., Titán b Gemelo Diablo I, Gemelo Diablo II, Sagrado
Tecnicos took 1/3.
Mexico VPN was and is down so I haven’t seen anything from this. Of all the singles matches to make one fall, Espanto/Rugido is sure a pick. Espanto Jr. said he wanted the leader of Los Depredadors, Volador Jr., as his next opponent. That is a very funny idea.
CMLL (TUE) 07/05/2022 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Arena Coliseo Guadalajara, Fuego en el Ring]
1) Minotauro, Persa, Raven b Huitzil, Samuray Azteca, Temerario
2) Ángel Rebelde, Halcón Negro Jr., Optimus, Trono b Bestia Negra, Cris Skin, Difunto, Omega
3) Furia Roja & Guerrero de la Muerte b Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno
4) Diamond, Magia Blanca, Magnus b Adrenalina, Explosivo, Fantástico
5) Pólvora, Templario, Zandokan Jr. b Dulce Gardenia, Espíritu Negro, Rey Cometa
Nothing too notable here.
CMLL (SAT) 07/09/2022 Arena Coliseo
1) Gemelo Diablo I, Gemelo Diablo II, Mije vs Átomo, Chamuel, Periquito Sacaryas
2) La Magnifica, La Vaquerita, Skadi vs La Seductora, Metálica, Tiffany
3) Panterita del Ring Jr. © vs Inquisidor [MEX LIGHT]
4) Esfinge, Fugaz, Star Black vs Felino, Hijo del Villano III, Pólvora
5) Blue Panther, Negro Casas, Titán vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Rey Bucanero, Templario
Panterita Jr. is interesting enough that any title match is interesting, though it’s unlikely we’ll see this.
CMLL (SUN) 07/10/2022 Arena México
1) Aéreo, Fantasy, Shockercito vs Full Metal, Pequeño Olímpico, Pequeño Violencia
2) El Valiente Jr., Oro Jr., Suicida vs Enfermero Jr., Nitro, Raider
3) Dulce Gardenia, Espíritu Negro, Rey Cometa vs Disturbio, El Coyote, Okumura
4) Ángel de Oro © vs Dark Panther [MEX LH]
5) Atlantis, Negro Casas, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Hechicero, Mephisto
This is the first meaningful match on a CMLL Arena Mexico Sunday show since Esfinge & Fugaz beat Felino Jr. & Polvora for the national tag championships. (We haven’t seen Felino Jr. since; he appeared to suffer an injury but this is a bit long for no update.) It is Dark Panther’s first meaningful singles match in eight years, when he lost to Hechicero as part of the 2014 En Busca de un Idolo tournament. Dark Panther seemed close to Dragon Lee, Barbaro Cavernario and Hechicero back then and his current has never really progressed. He’s got opportunities in teams with his family and with Guerrero Maya Jr. and he’s won a mask in cage match, but Dark Panther (by any name) has kind of been stuck in the same place. I’m not sure one match with Angel de Oro is going to change that, but it’s a chance to at least make the point it should change. I’d like to just generally see more out of him than the few spots he keeps going back to in trios matches.
CMLL Informa has Templario, Dulce Gardenia, Fugaz, Dark Panther, Dark Silueta, Coyote and Inquisidor. Some of those names are probably Leyenda de Plata Block B names; the news here might be if Mistico is in or out that tournament.
An article about CMLL honoring cancer survivors on the June 24th show mentions attendance for that show as 5,500.
This weekend’s dumb controversy is someone made up a list of “prices famous luchadors would ask to lose their mask”, just making up numbers in a note app. There’s no reason anyone should take that list credibly, only Atlantis RT-ed it because his name was listed as most valuable, more than the Santo or Demon and somehow that gave it credibility. It also appeared that list included the real name of Fuerza Guerrera, which isn’t so nice to RT if you’re doing a mask program with him.
In the comments, Malecon mentioned Mazatlan is still requiring vaccination proof to enter buildings. The attendance at the AAA TV taping in Mazatlan was low enough that it’s probably not the whole reason, but it would make sense as part of it.
AAA’s only announced one more match for Verano de Escandalo. Here’s the card so far:
AAA TV (FRI) 08/05/2022 Nuevo Lienzo Charro, Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes
Verano de Escandalo, 2022
1) Aramis, Mr. Iguana, Niño Hamburguesa vs Dulce Canela, Diva Salvaje, Jessy Ventura
2) ? & ?? vs ??? & ????
3) Laredo Kid vs Willie Mack, Bandido, Johnny Caballero
4) Charly Manson, Pagano, Psycho Clown vs Abismo Negro Jr., Cibernético, Psicosis
5) Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón vs DMT Azul, Puma King, Sam Adonis [AAA TRIOS]
6) ? & ?? vs ??? & ????
I’m guessing six matches and guessing card order; only the opener has been specifically listed with a match spot.
No update on Hijo del Vikingo, which I’m going to assume is good news. He’s also not listed for a match on this yet. He’s probably in the main event, and it’ll tell us a lot of what’s going on for TripleMania Mexico City by what he’s doing here.
AAA TV (SAT) 09/10/2022 Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, Puerto Aventuras, Quintana Roo
1) Aramis & Arez vs Komander & Látigo
2) Lady Shani, Reina Dorada, Sexy Star vs Flammer, La Hiedra, Maravilla
3) Mr. Iguana, Niño Hamburguesa, Willie Mack vs Dave The Clown, Dinámico, Emperador Azteca
4) Laredo Kid & Taya vs Christi Jaynes & Johnny Caballero
5) Hijo Del Vikingo & Octagón Jr. vs Dragón Lee & Dralistico
6) Pagano, Pentagón Jr., Psycho Clown vs Parka Negra, Taurus, Villano III Jr.
The lineup for the resort show; this crew (and Vampiro) will be around on Friday and Saturday. These shows do not historically have the highest effort, but there are obviously matches which could be great if they’re trying to make them great.
AAA originally advertised this as “the people in the apuesta match at TripleMania Mexico City will be here”, but Villano IV seems to be staying home. Christi Jaynes gets a spot over some of the other full-time AAA woman who don’t seem to be around. This probably airs late September/early October and there could be one more taping after it and before TripleMania Mexico City.
Late in the press conference, an official mentioned there was a proposal to air this show as a PPV but no deal was completed – it came off as it was not something close to happening.
Right now, it appears AAA is running one taping in July, one taping in August, and one taping so far in September. They’ll have Showcenter shows and they may have to tape again in late September, but there’s not a lot going on here.
The 07/31 “Ric Flair’s Last Match” show is going for a theme of matches from various different promotions, similar to Antonio Inoki’s World Peace Festival in Los Angeles and various shows in Japan in the past. The AAA match will be Rey Fenix vs Taurus vs Laredo Kid vs Bandido. It’s a replay of the TripleMania Tijuana match without Vikingo as he still doesn’t have his visa. Bandido mentioned he was hopeful of making it back for this match in his most recent injury update, though that’ll probably be his first match back if he does make it back. This full show will air on FITE for $35.
I’ve been turned off by this Flair show from the moment it was announced. I’m not sure I was ever a particular Flair fan. I certainly don’t have enough of a nostalgic haze to enjoy a 70 year old Ric Flair going through some of his old spots at a one-eight speed and feel good about watching it. I don’t think Flair is going to die or anything, too many people are invested in making sure that doesn’t happen, but this feels more sad than fun to me and it’s definitely not something I’d pay $35 to see.
The idea of making it a multi-promotional show appears to be an attempt to balance that out, broadening the appeal of the show to other types of fans who might buy it on FITE. I’m not sure that’s going to work as well for the live crowd; every time AAA’s involvement was teased, the only replies were fans believing this was a backdoor way of announcing AAA tag team champions FTR on the show. It was not. Likewise, AAA is sending this match as a way to hopefully pull eyeballs back to their own product. The people don’t buy AAA shows but will buy this Ric Flair show don’t seem the type to suddenly get invested in AAA off this match, but maybe it sounds better as an elevator pitch.
As for me, I was happy when this match was announced because I knew it wasn’t important and I won’t have to watch it. It’ll be great for sure. It may even be better than the TripleMania Tijuana match; it’ll be tough without Vikingo and probably with a less freedom or time, but I don’t want to count those four guys out ever. It’s also fine if I miss it. Being a wrestling fan in the 2020s means there’s always another outstanding match around the corner and you’ll never ever have time to watch them all unless you make that your sole purpose. Maybe not even then. You can go nuts about trying to catch everything or you can just wait for the next one to come be. I’m sure this match will be great, but it’s also a great match with no stakes and no meaning on a show that isn’t about these guys at all. Verano de Escandalo will be a week later (or maybe it’ll air a month later) and there will be something great there too. I can wait.
aside 1: It does remain curious that this Flair promotion is allowed to have Rey Fenix and NJPW wrestlers on it when that was specifically not allowed for Forbidden Door. Maybe it’s under the radar for now.
aside 2: I thought Bandido also said he got booked for this Flair show through Impact, though others have translated it as he’s booked for this show and also Impact. I guess we’ll just see how it turns out. Impact picking up Bandido makes sense, but it is an all-together unexciting possibility given Impact’s disinterest in doing anything with Laredo Kid or Black Taurus.
IWRG (TUE) 07/05/2022 Arena Naucalpan [IWRG, Mas Lucha]
1) Súper Cometa, Superboy, Último Caballero b Cheff Benito, Rey Minos, Steve Manson
2) Leo, Rey Aztaroth, Rey Halcón b Águila Enmascarada, Águila Oriental, Coco Azul Jr.
3) Hellboy, Judas el Traidor, Mordok b Lunatik Extreme, Ovett Jr., Venganza
4) Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Último Vampio b Comando Gama, Guardia, Ultra Mega and Bestia Rubia, Black Terry, Panterita
5) Mr. Mike & Puma de Oro b Gravity & Komander and Paymon & Spider Fly
6) Látigo, Tonalli, Toxin b Bendito, Demonic Flamita, Keyra and Aster Boy, Diva Salvaje, Hijo del Alebrije
La Jacuan and Los Vipers fought after the match
This was the Teelo benefit show. He was delivering food on a motorcycle for an app, got hit by a car on his way home, and lost his left leg below the knee as a result. This was an attempt to raise enough money for a prosthesis that would allow him to return to wrestling. Teelo is the brother of Mr. Mike and the son of long time trainer Bombero Infenral, so he’s got long ties to this promotion beyond being a Ninja Turtle. They drew about a half full house, a good number for a Tuesday, and seemed to get a decent number of online donations. No idea what number they needed to hit for the prosthesis or how close they got.
Some of the AAA wrestlers were working a show in Pachuca and tried it make it here; not all of them made it. There were plenty of changes in the undercard deal. Benefit shows tend to have a lot of card changes.
IWRG (THU) 07/07/2022 Arena Naucalpan
1) Sol & X-Devil vs Éxtasis & Radioactivo
2) Peonix Kid & Spider Fly vs Limbo & Tamilan
3) Caballero de Plata, Legendario, Paymon vs Estrella, Junta, Takama
4) Tonalli vs Cerebro Negro [IWRG IC MIDDLE]
5) Dick Angelo 3G & Puma de Oro vs Abismo Negro Jr. & Toxin
La Estrella and Takuma show up in Dragon Gate ancestral home IWRG, though perhaps not with someone making sure to spell their names correctly. Junta is young NOAH wrestler Junta Miyawaki, who announced he was going to Japan at the end of May and has been around for the last month.
La Jaula de Locas, IWRG’s annual exotic cage match, will take place on July 17th. That usually means a lot more exoticos will be booked for the next few weeks to build to the cage match, though IWRG has a unwelcome habit of having an unknown exotico lose their hair in the actual match.
Lucha Memes (SAT) 07/16/2022 Arena Lopez Mateos
1) Fantasmín, Ryder, Tormenta vs Junta Miyawaki, La Estrella, Takuma Fujiwara
2) Sol & X-Devil vs Belial & Impulso
3) ?, Alas de Acero, Iron Kid vs Kastigador (Querétaro), Mike, Vengador
4) Dante, Kilvan, Thunderstorm vs Avisman, Judas el Traidor, Negro Navarro
5) Calibus & Perro de Guerra Jr. vs Black Terry & Solar I
6) Corsario Negro & Drako vs Hombre Bala Jr. & Robin © [Arena Coliseo TAG]
7) Atlantis Jr. vs León Dorado
Lucha Memes has been talking about running shows beyond Coacalco this year, but it still seems a rarity. It’s also a rarity to see Atlantis Jr. on a pure indie show and I’m interested in how that’s going to go. Black Terry & Negro Navarro won the Arena Coliseo Tag Team Championships on a previous Lucah Memes show, though I’m not sure Corsario & Drako will have the same luck. Virus will be honored on the show (which also suggests he’s not expected to be back wrestling by this point.)
The Big Lucha show on Friday was supposed to have Mr. Mike teaming with Abismo Negro Jr., only Abismo Negro Jr. ended up on AAA spot show in Puebla. It seems like Abismo Negro Jr. passed the booking to Parka Negra, but Parka Negra also ended up working AAA spot in Queretaro that day. So poor Mr. Mike was left on his own.
Big Lucha has a press conference with no announced topic tonight at 7. They’re also running a new Big Lucha World episode tonight.
Masked Republic officially announced the opening of the Lucha Libre Agency. They’re representing Arkangel Divino, Ultimo Maldito, Konnan and Psicosis at the moment.
MLW announced Ayozat TV in the UK. The wrestling news sites generally just posted MLW’s press release and no more, because it’s a free post where the number of posts is a big part of the game, and there’s too much going in life to care about MLW press releases. I understand. Five minutes of googling Ayozat led me to find out it’s a small TV channel that mostly exists to promote its Pluto TV-like ad supported VOD/streaming service. More people will probably see continue to see the MLW on their YouTube channel than will remember this channel exists, but now MLW can talk about having a UK TV deal in every press release in the same way AAA talks about running Madison Square Garden in every presentation. If you look at it just right, it’s true.