CMLL (FRI) 09/06/2019 Arena México [CMLL, ESTO, Lucha Central, Marca, Notimex, Ovaciones, R de Rudo, The Gladiatores, thecubsfan]
1) Shockercito & Último Dragóncito b Pequeño Violencia & Pierrothito
Tecnicos took 2/3.
2) Cancerbero, Raziel, Tiger b Magia Blanca, Príncipe Diamante, Star Jr.
15:58. Rudos took 1/3.
3) El Audaz, Soberano Jr., Titán b El Hijo del Villano III, Mecha Wolf 450, Virus
19:09. Tecnicos took 1/3. Mecha Wolf replaced Templario on Wednesday
4) Diamante Azul b Euforia [Copa 78 Aniversario del Diario ESTO]
8:10. Diamante Azul submitted Euforia in a one fall match.
5) Gran Guerrero, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero b Big Daddy, Ciber the Main Man, Gilbert el Boricua
8:09. Straight falls. Ciber rolled up UG clean after a foul on Negro Casas.
6) Carístico, Dragón Lee, Místico b Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón
12:56. Tecnicos took 1/3.
CMLL promos include
Media interviews with
- Mecha Wolf, who’d like to return to CMLL (Box Y Lucha)
- Big Daddy & Ciber, who say they’ll work together in the cage match (Box Y Lucha, +LuchaTV)
- NGD (Box Y Lucha, +LuchaTV)
- Dragon Lee & Mistico (Box Y Lucha,+LuchaTV)
- You can tell Dragon Lee & Mistico would really like to be teaming in the title match and do not understand why they’re not. That’s fair, no one else does either.
Tercera and main event were good and two good Friday night matches is better than usual. The cage match build is more of a boring mess than actively bad, an improvement. I still didn’t feel like I liked the show all that much.
Dragon Rojo was back commentating for the Televisa broadcast. He remains on a very long road to returning to the ring.
some results from ROH in Dearborn last night
- Rush beat Triton
- Villian Enterprise (Marty Scurll, Flip Gordon, PCO, Brody King) beat Okumura, Rey Bucanero, Hechicero, Barbaro Cavernario
- Volador Jr. & Stuka Jr. beat Matt Taven & Vincent Marseglia
- Bandido beat Jay Briscoe
Bandido/Jay Briscoe was really good. Somehow the post match led to Matt Taven & Rush facing off, which also doesn’t say much for Volador’s chances today. The Atomicos wasn’t a great fit but it did get over in the end. I think Stuka & Triton getting switched around happened for the obvious “Triton is finishing up” reasons.
tonight at ROH in Chicago (Villa Park), 7 pm CT start on Honor Club
- Matt Taven (c) vs Volador Jr. for the Ring of Honor championship
- Barbaro Cavernario vs Rush
- Jeff Cobb, Jay Lethal, Jonathan Greshman vs Caristico, Stuka Jr. and Triton
- Silas Young & Josh Woods vs PJ Black & Okumura
- Lifeblood (Mark Haskins, Bandido, Tracy Williams) vs Villano Enterprises (Flip Gordon, PCO, Brody King)
- The Briscoes vs The Bouncers vs Rey Bucanero & Hechicero
Everyone would be shocked if Volador actually won but that still should be a good match. Cavernario should get in more than Triton did.
tomorrow at ROH in Milwaukee, 5 pm start on Honor Club
- Lifeblood (Mark Haskins, Bandido, Tracy Williams) vs The Briscoes & Barbaro Cavernario
- Triton vs PJ Black vs Flip Gordon
- Caristico, Stuka Jr., Volador Jr. vs Okumura, Hechicero and Rey Bucanero
- Rush & Jeff Cobb vs the Kingdom
I was thinking about going to this one before I remembered AAA had it’s only TV taping of the month on the same day.
AAA returns to Twitch Sunday night from Puebla. The stream start time is 6:30, so figure on matches a little bit after. The lineup is here, the lineup is always subject to change. Dr. Wagner Jr. has been added to the show, Hijo del Vikingo is off the show, LAX are in for the show, Latigo is off in China for OWE by now but is still listed. It’s a good group of wrestlers no matter where they end up using them.
There are three surprise luchadors listed. One is planned to be Abismo Negro Jr. The others are also expected to be old gimmicks coming back with new people underneath them, with AAA working under the idea that they’re not going to push the wrestlers who’ve been in prelim roles until they have a gimmick AAA owns. Anyone you see doing a new version of an old gimmick is someone you’ve seen on AAA shows recently. Octagon and Hijo del Octagon seem to believe one of those characters to return will be a new Octagon and have already put up a video statement against it. Sunday’s going to be interesting to see the reactions both live and on social media.
Lucha Central has a preview of the show.
AAA announced two new matches for the 09/15 New York show
- Cain Velasquez, Brian Cage, Psycho Clown vs Rey Escorpion, Texano Jr.,
- Lucha Brothers vs LAX for the AAA Tag Team Championship
The matches were announced timed with Velasquez in New York doing some work to promote the show. A press release, which referred to someone called Scorpion King, mentioned there are seven matches on the card. It’s AAA and this show so everything is subject to change, but that means we’re missing three more matches to go with these and the Demon/Wagner & Taya/Tessa matches previously announced. I am hesitant to guess on anything related to this show but it would make sense if they were announced during Sunday’s Twitch show.
The Velasquez match is his match from TripleMania with Cage dropped into Cody’s spot and Escorpion in for Killer Kross, who may be blocked off the show. Lucha Brothers vs LAX was a long Impact feud from earlier this year. I think they’re good matches for the ticket sales but this is now a card all of rematches. It remains a hard sell as a $30 PPV. (I suspect though that PPV may only exist to help cover the costs for recording this for Azteca.)
AAA posted their new video ad roughly two dozen times on social media yesterday. It’s a big deal to them. I’m not sure it’s actually a big deal.
Other notable shows this weekend.
- The Crash returns from a bit of a hiatus. Tonight’s show is billed as guests from Fight Club Pro, though the bigger names are more recognizable now as from NXT UK. Tyler Bate, Trent Seven and Travis Banks take on Reblion Amarilla’s Bestia 666, Mecha Wolf and Rey Horus. Semi-main has Cuatrero & Sanson vs Los Traumas.
- MDA runs in Saltillo with a Lucha Brothers vs Jack Evans/Laredo Kid main event and Dragon Bane vs Aramis. Bigger shows from here tend to turn up on the Estrellas del Ring channel.
- The AAA NY show is not the only high profile lucha libre show in New York this weekend. There’s a show featuring CMLL talent tonight in Brooklyn, though the exact people involved has changed around a bit with some of those names pulled to ROH instead.
- CMLL has a regular Arena Coliseo show.
- MDA comes to Naucalpan, this time with Jack Evans & Pagano vs Penta & Fenix and Argenis vs Aeroboy vs Dragon Bane. Star time is at 6 pm and there’s always a chance this could turn up on the InternetTV/AYM Sports YouTube page airing live.
- CMLL has a regular Arena Mexico show.
Puma King lost the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship in his last DDT match today. Then he won it back after the match because it’s defended under 24/7 rules. Puma says he’s taking it to Mexico and the US so a lot of other people are likely to win.
Referee El Popo passed away Friday.
The Nuestra Lucha series that focused on the life of Mexican luchadors is getting a second season and planning to go the US and Japan to show wrestling there.
LuchaWorld has a new podcast up.