CMLL (FRI) 08/09/2019 Arena México [CMLL, ESTO, Lucha Central, The Gladiatores, thecubsfan]
1) Magnus & Oro Jr. b Nitro & Sangre Azteca
12:54. Tecnicos took 2/3.
2) Atlantis Jr., Dulce Gardenia, Titán b Ephesto, Mephisto, Okumura
13:19. Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Dalys b Lluvia, Silueta, La Comandante, Mystique, Stephanie Vaquer, La Jarochita, Skadi, Reina Isis, La Magnifica [CMLL Universal de Amazonas, semifinal]
24:27. Order of elimination: Comandante (Skadi), Vaquer (Jarochita), Mystique (Magnifica), Skadi (Lluvia), Silueta (Isis), Magnifica (Jarochita), Lluvia (Dalys), Isis (Jarochita), Jarochita (Dalys)
4) Cuatrero, Negro Casas, Sansón b Ángel de Oro, Niebla Roja, Valiente
11:15. Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Último Guerrero © b Ciber the Main Man [CMLL HEAVY]
7:51. UG took falls 2/3, the last when he was fouled but fell on Ciber as he was faking a foul. fourth defense
6) Euforia, Forastero, Gran Guerrero b Diamante Azul, Dragón Lee, Volador Jr.
6:08. Straight falls, the last when Forastero pinned Volador after a foul (and the referee failed to avoid seeing it.)
Press room interviews: Forastero declared he’ll erase all of Volador’s title reigns, Sanson & Cuatrero say Forastero will prove they’re just as dangerous as individuals, Dalys is already looking past Metalica to the title match with Marcela, and Ciber talks about his match.
This show wasn’t much better than last week. The segunda was a rare CMLL Friday night match of late that I liked, but there was plenty I didn’t. Besides the match quality, everything feels inevitable in an unpleasing way. Volador’s probably going to beat Forastero in an overly familiar underwhelming match. Dalys is probably going to be Metalica and then Marcela for the women’s championship soon. Ultimo Guerrero is probably going to win Ciber’s hair at the Aniversario show. None of these are things I’m anticipating.
It’s at least worth noting Ciber didn’t seem into the hair match yet. Maybe they’re slow-playing this story out, maybe he’ll suddenly agree next week, but they sent people home thinking maybe the match is happening instead of definitely the match is happening. It’s just that, unless CMLL’s doing Forastero/Volador (!?!) or something else outside the box, there’s no alternative match being hinted at.
Mystique broke her left clavicle taking La Magnifica’s Gory Bomb during the cibernetico according to her Twitter. She was getting medical attention after getting pinned but it wasn’t immediately obvious how bad it was. She’s scheduled to be on Monday’s Arena Puebla show but will obviously be out for a while.
I think it is interesting CMLL used green for the new Campeona Universal de las Amazonas belt. I probably would’ve just gone with the same belt as the men. The green makes it feel like a WBC boxing belt.
Caristico, Soberano, and Stuka defeated Hechicero, Templario and Barbaro Cavernario last night in ROH’s match in Toronto. The match was at the upper level of expectations, a match just to have a spectacle with no specific direction. (The only hint of a direction was including Silas Young on commentary. It might be setting up a match for the upcoming ROH/CMLL tour or it is otherwise an inexplicable decision to include a grumpy character talking about a fun match.) The big news on the show was Rush emerging as the next challenger Matt Taven and ROH’s main title. It seemed like that was a slow story being saved for ROH’s Final Battle show in December, but it is instead reported as taking place in Las Vegas, which would be the 09/27 show instead.
(This has the feel of reminding the teacher to assign homework but – what happened to Kenny King coming to CMLL in August? CMLL’s still not mentioned him and we’ve got cards thru half the month.)
AAA has its second and last August show tonight in Saltillo. The Twitch stream start time is now 8:45 CT. (The original poster had 7. Things changed.) The long gap between shows might mean this is just a standalone show of rehashing TripleManai with not a lot of going forward. That still might be fine.
Dr. Wagner & Blue Demon rematch in the main event, teaming with Fenix, Psycho Clown, Rey Escorpion and Taurus. There may also be a brick. Wagner is likely to get some revenge to keep this feud going. Laredo Kid, who’s been great in all of his singles matches, faces Puma King in the semi-main. Willie Mack makes his first AAA TV appearance since 2013 (and the canceled 2015 Guerra de Titanes show), alongside Aerostar & Drago against the OGTs. The new Jinetes face Dave the Clown, Monsther Clown and Parka Negra, who we haven’t seen much the last few months. Poder del Norte get Nino Hamburguesa, Argenis and a to be announced wrestler. Villano III Jr., Australian Suicide and La Hiedra face Dinastia, Eclispe and Lady Shani in the opener; AAA is overrunning with rudos when those guys are the opening match.
The matches probably won’t start until after 9, so this’ll be a late one. I’d recommend the VOD, except this is the wrong time to get it unless you want to go back to TripleMania. The next show is nearly a month away and a long time after that until another one.
Nothing really notable on the AAA vs ELITE show in Zumpango last night but there are results if you’re needing them.
Other shows on Saturday
- MexaWrestling has Summer Course with Flamita vs Hechicero, assuming Hechicero makes it back from Toronto (and Arena Coliseo) in time. Toxin takes on Black Terry among other multi-man matches.
- An Aguascalientes show with LA Park vs Ciber vs Diamante Azul vs Mesias is listed as airing on +LuchaTV, I can’t recall seeing any more than highlights from Aguascalientes so maybe that’s what this is.
- CMLL has a regular Arena Coliseo show
- Gym Hercules has a Psycho Wrestler show with Negro Casas vs Diva Salvaje.
- Dragon Lee is wrestling in San Diego.
- Kaoz returns with the LA Parks versus Dinastia Munoz.
- Elite is also running in Monterrey with an AAA vs ELITE show. If you want to see 67-year-old immobile Canek wrestle, they’ve got you covered.
- Usual Monterrey group MDA runs Arena Naucalpan. Super Nova & Caristico vs Aramis & Imposible headline.
- Zona 23 returns to the junkyard.
- Guadalajara has a cage match.
- Arena Mexico has a regular show.
- CAR the Crash has a trios tournament.
Fenix is announced for a 5 pm show in Arena Lopez Mateos on September 16th. It’s him and the LA Park kids versus Dragon Lee, Bestia del Ring, and Barbaro Cavernario. Two shows for Fenix just seems like the start of things.
An interview with Cuatula’s Cheroke Rockstar. His family convinced him to retire after winning an extreme match, he later attended a show as a fan, someone no-showed and they talked him into coming back as a replacement.
Lucha Libre Vanguardia (SUN) 09/01/2019 Centro de Alto Rendimento The Crash, Ecatepec, Estado de México
1) Caballero De Atena, Falcón Fire, Gasparin, Lobo Blanco vs ?, Calibus, Memo Romero, Shere Khan
2) Dayami & Lluvia vs Pumara & Tiffany
3) Jimmy vs Aramis
4) Audaz (CMLL) & Negro Casas vs Aero Boy & Draztick Boy
5) Flamita vs El Bandido
This is no longer being called Dragon Gate Mexico, with them borrowing the name of the new Hidalgo promotion instead. I’m excited for this one. Flamita & Bandido is always good. Aero & Draztick as a team are a good counterpoint to Audaz & Casas. (I think it weirdly might be a better match US style tag than Mexico, though not sure if it’d work for the crowd.) Jimmy versus Aramis is exactly a match I want to see, to see if the work Jimmy’s put in for Dragon Gate can pay off back home. It’s got the +LuchaTV logo and I hope we get to see the top matches relatively soon.