CMLL’s luchadora tournament – officially the Universal de Amazonas del CMLL Championship – continues on for a very predictable block. Dalys has been on the winning side of every CMLL Arena Mexico she’s had since May. Dalys isn’t the CMLL Women’s Champion but generally booked like she’s still the best woman in the division. No one else in this block has held a CMLL championship or won a major apuesta match; there are some REINA championship reigns when CMLL was still actively using those championships, but that’s about it. The expectation from the start of this tournament is Dalys would win her block, win the final, and then likely beat Marcela to win back the CMLL Women’s Championship. (That’d be perfectly fine if people were into Dalys.) Dalys losing here would be one of the bigger shocks of the year.
The heavyweight championship also has the creeping feeling of inevitably. Ciber versus Ultimo Guerrero tonight seems like a preview of those same two in the main event the Anniversary show 5 or 6 weeks from now. There are just no other options, so it’s that match or something completely out of nowhere. I’m very ready for something out of nowhere; the last singles match wasn’t good, the trios matches in between haven’t been good and it doesn’t seem like the CMLL crowd (who may have turned over since when Ciber was a top AAA wrestler) care about this as much as the people involved or the people booking it. CMLL has programmed Ciber and the CL4N strongly since coming to CMLL, with a short trios title reign last year. It seems like a coin flip if CMLL will do it again with Ciber winning the heavyweight championship. It’s the thing CMLL would normally do to build up this match, but I’m not sure this match could be built up. My gut feeling is Ciber wins thru dubious means, UG makes the hair match challenge for the Aniversario, and there’s a press conference next week to make it official.
The rest of the show seems fine though nothing stands out as certainly good. Volador & Dragon Lee go from facing each other on Monday to teaming on Friday. Diamante Azul, who did not look ready to return on Monday, is back in the main event. They face the odd combo of Gran Guerrero, Euforia and Forastero. The other NGD members team with Negro Casas against Angel de Oro, Niebla Roja, and Valiente. Dulce Gardenia returns to Friday nights in a trio with Atlantis Jr. & Titan against Ephesto, Okumura, and Mephisto, who seems everywhere right now. Sangre Azteca & Nitro take on Oro Jr. & Magnus, who has promised to be the craziest luchador ever. It’ll be tough to pull off working with those two stationary vets.
The show streams on Marca and on YouTube. I’ll stream it on YouTube as well.
At the arena, Espanto & Akuma are taking photos, Polvora is signing the book, Sagrado is riding the Turiluchas bus and Diamante Azul is going to Freedoms. Which is odd if he’s in the main event.
La Comandante, La Magnifica, Lluvia, and Mysiqute talk about the match. Comandante plans on working with Dalys to eliminate all the young people, a proven effective strategy.
The best CMLL match today might be in Ring of Honor. Caristico, Soberano and Stuka team up against Barbaro Cavernario, Hechicero, Templario tonight in Toronto. It’s never completely clear how hard CMLL wrestlers are going to go in another promotion, but they’ve generally been good in ROH so far. Rush versus Dalton Castle (possibly the end of that feud) and Bandido in a tag match are also on that card. The ROH show airs on the Honor Club service – it seems like it’s part of the normal service and not an extra cost PPV – and it starts two hours before the CMLL show at 6:30 pm.
It takes some weird wrestling logic, but Guerra de Titanes appears to be on October 19th in Orizaba. It was also more likely there than in Toluca (which is usually a smaller venue.) The tipping point was Vampiro announcing he had to cancel a booking because he was too busy and the promoter didn’t get back to him with a deposit. That booking happens to be on 10/19 and Vampiro had previously mentioned he was coming back to AAA in October.
In other strange cancelation news, LA Park may be off next Friday’s NEW show in New York.
ELITE has been running AAA vs ELITE shows the last month that are advertised as being recorded for television. The television turns out to be AAA’s YouTube channel; the first show went up last night. This was the from July 8th; there are results here. It does seem like it may have been produced for TV, with the Argos match apparently cut for time. (The description for the video has it listing as airing anyway, and doesn’t read like as written the usual social media team.) ELITE tapes TV (?) today in Zumpango and Sunday in Monterrey, so maybe show airing on YouTube was a bit of promotion or maybe those will go up too.
I’m not really following whatever’s going on in Monterrey now with luchadors being blocked from working different promotions, but Fresero Jr. & Sexy Dulce are still working the Kaoz show Sunday. I think this is over those wrestlers working Nacion Lucha Libre, but I also think these promotions put more drama into turf battles than on their shows.
09/07 The Crash lineup
- Los Traumas vs Sanson & Cuatrero – new
- Super Astro, Super Astro Jr. & Mr. Iguana vs Triple Amenaza – new
- Trent Seven & Tyler Bate will appear
Super Astro father and son haven’t teamed up much (Super Astro Sr. doesn’t wrestle much.)
Fenix & Penta are on the 09/28 Martinez Entertainment show. AEW starts a few days later so that might be their final weekend on the US indies.
Puebla’s Estrellilita Magica, a CMLL luchadors from 2008 to 2011, talks about her life and struggles in lucha libre.
Hidalgo’s Pumara says she’s returning from an elbow fracture that sidelined her for three months.
LuchaWorld has the latest Lucha Report.
CMLL (MON) 08/12/2019 Arena Puebla
1) Asturiano & Retro vs Black Tiger & Policeman
2) Halcón Suriano Jr. & Tigre Rojo Jr. vs El Malayo & El Perverso
3) La Vaquerita, Marcela, Mystique vs Amapola, Dalys, La Comandante
4) Dulce Gardenia, Fuego, Stigma vs Olímpico, Pólvora, Universo 2000 Jr.
5) Cuatrero, Forastero, Místico, Sansón vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Soberano Jr., Último Guerrero [Relevos Increíbles]
6) Carístico vs Rush
That atomicos is slightly different than the one they did in Arena Mexico, but it looks as promising.
CMLL (TUE) 08/13/2019 Arena México
1) Metatrón & Sonic vs Espanto Jr. & Grako
2) Fuego, Pegasso, Stigma vs Hijo del Signo, Nitro, Sangre Azteca
3) Marcela vs Reyna Isis [lightning]
4) Audaz, Black Panther, Blue Panther Jr. vs Disturbio, Hechicero, Misterioso Jr.
5) Atlantis, Blue Panther, Kráneo vs Felino, Hijo del Villano III, Negro Casas
6) La Bestia Del Ring, Rush, Terrible vs Carístico, Soberano Jr., Stuka Jr.
No feud here at all. maybe the fourth match is the good match? Maybe Hijo del Villano III is way too young to be in that match.
CMLL (TUE) 08/13/2019 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Black Sugar, Fantástico, Rielero vs Carlo Roggi, Mr. Apolo, Paymon
2) Drone, Principe Daniel, Súper Astro Jr. vs Demonio Maya, Tiger, Virus
3) Flyer, Guerrero Maya Jr., Volcano vs Okumura, Rey Bucanero, Vangellys
4) Dragón Lee, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Templario
5) Místico vs Cavernario
Mistico/Cavernario is usually pretty fun.
RIOT (FRI) 08/23/2019 Arena Femenil, Monterrey, Nuevo León
1) Fresero Jr. & Mr. Iguana vs Kaientai & Lord Byron
2) Bryan Villa & Willy Banderas vs Kratoz & Prometo
3) Madness vs Iron Kid (Estado de México) [RIOT CHAMP, quarterfinal]
4) Erick Ortiz vs Fuego Del Sol [RIOT CHAMP, quarterfinal]
5) Dralion vs Tony Rodríguez (Jalisco) [RIOT CHAMP, quarterfinal]
6) Douki vs Belial [RIOT CHAMP, quarterfinal]
7) Aramis (Estado de México) vs Látigo [RIOT CHAMP, quarterfinal]
8) Arez vs Demonio del Aire [RIOT CHAMP, quarterfinal]
RIOT (SAT) 08/24/2019 Arena Femenil, Monterrey, Nuevo León
1) Ayako Hamada vs Chik Tormenta
2) ? vs ??, ??? [RIOT CHAMP, semifinal]
3) ? vs ??, ??? [RIOT CHAMP, semifinal]
4) ? vs ?? [RIOT CHAMP, final]
I guess I never posted the full cards? First night is mostly the tournament matches, though we don’t know who faces who until they show up on night two. People who are eliminated will be in other matches on Saturday. Aramis/Latigo sounds like a possible excellent match and Douki & Belial stands out to me too. This should be a fun couple of shows.