CMLL has a couple of Friday nights of build towards matches already announced, starting with tonight’s show. The two announced hair matches lead into trios matches tonight. Mascara 2000 teams this time with Mephisto & Ephesto to face Ultimo Guerrero, Gran Guerrero and Euforia in the semi-main. Kaho Kobayashi and Amapola meet in the segunda. Sanely, Marcela, Tiffany, and Metalica round out the match.
It’s otherwise a placeholder card, though there’s some change for decent matches. Matt Taven was supposed to be in the main event, is no longer, but Cavernario makes a good replacement. The caveman teams with Sanson & Cutarero versus Caristico, Volador, and Mistico. Soberano & Negro Casas meet in a lightning match. Casas is going to work a short match anyway at this point, and they might put together something quick that’ll work. Felino, Tigre, and Hechicero face Rey Cometa, Triton, and Esfinge in the usual midcard trios match. Star Jr. & Magia Blanca open against Espanto Jr. & Akuma, which might not be good at all.
Dragon Rojo was to undergo another knee operation today. He has not wrestled since January.
The coroner report says Silver King died of a heart attack. Milenio points out Dr. Wagner Sr. died the same way. Silver King’s body will arrive in Monterrey on Saturday night, and he’ll be taken to a funeral home on Sunday in Torreon.
There’s a newly published article on Psycho Clown & Pentagon challenging Cain Velazquez for TripleMania, but it seems like the same quotes from that initial press conference.
Mr. Electro has an MMA fight on June 15th. He’s had some in the past. His opponent isn’t named. He’s hyping it towards a fight against one of the Montanez brothers, which suggests he’s pretty confident he’s going to win.
Bandido will challenge Shane Taylor for the Ring of Honor Television championship on their 06/28 PPV. Upcoming TV episodes seemed to set up Dragon Lee versus Dalton Castle for that show, though it still has to be officially announced.
06/08 MexaWrestling at Arena San Juan
- Golden Boy & Simbolo vs Trauma I & Trauma II
- Arkangel Divino vs Jack Evans vs Aramis vs Pumita
- Negro Navaro & Solar vs Toro Negro & Mimo
Lucha Central has the latest ratings update.
LuchaWorld has a new Lucha Report.
CMLL (MON) 05/20/2019 Arena Puebla
1) El Asturiano & Rey Samuray vs Black Tiger & Policeman
2) Pegasso, Stigma, Tritón vs El Malayo, Espanto Jr., Toro Bill Jr.
3) Flyer, Soberano Jr., Volador Jr. vs Cavernario, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
4) Carístico & Hijo del Villano III vs Ephesto & Místico and Niebla Roja & Terrible and Audaz & Sansón and Atlantis & Vangellys and Felino & Valiente and Esfinge & Templario and Luciferno & Volcano [Torneo Increible de Parejas, battle royal]
The irrelevance of this tournament means anyone can advance. Except Luciferno and Volcano, they ain’t winning.
CMLL (TUE) 05/21/2019 Arena México
1) Leono & Sonic vs El Coyote & Grako
2) Halcón Suriano Jr., Magia Blanca, Oro Jr. vs Disturbio, Hijo del Signo, Sangre Azteca
3) Star Jr. vs Sagrado [lightning]
4) Blue Panther, El Audaz, Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Pólvora, Tiger, Universo 2000 Jr.
5) Flyer, Kráneo, Rey Cometa vs Hechicero, Mephisto, Rey Bucanero
6) Ángel de Oro, Atlantis, Niebla Roja vs La Bestia Del Ring, Rush, Terrible [Relevos Increíbles]
Main event is a rematch, heading likely to Niebla Roja vs Terrible.
CMLL (TUE) 05/21/2019 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Magnum, Metatrón, Micro vs Capitán Cobra, Difunto, Fúnebre
2) Avispa Dorada, Lluvia, Sanely vs La Seductora, Reina Isis, Tiffany
3) Drone, Fuego, Tritón vs Kawato San, Metálico, Olímpico
4) Místico, Soberano Jr., Valiente vs Matt Taven, Shocker, Vangellys
5) Carístico, Stuka Jr., Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
Main event rematch here too.
Matt Taven for real this time? Or quietly removed in a couple of days? He should be advertised tonight for next Friday if he’s really coming in because there’s no way he’s coming in just for a Tuesday Guadalajara appearance.
AAA TV (SAT) 06/15/2019 Plaza de Toros, Cancún, Quintana Roo
1) Faby Apache & Lady Shani vs Chik Tormenta & Keyra
2) Myzteziz Jr., Scarlett Bordeaux, Taya vs Daga, La Hiedra, Tessa Blanchard
3) Laredo Kid & Puma King vs Sammy Guevara & Taurus and Mamba & Máximo
4) Aerostar, Hijo Del Vikingo, La Parka vs Australian Suicide, Chessman, Monsther Clown
5) Dr. Wagner Jr., Pagano, Psycho Clown vs Killer Kross, Rey Escorpión, Texano Jr.
This is not an exciting lineup. There are vague outlines of feuds AAA might pursuee – Aerostar & Monsther Clown are back opposite each other again – but nothing is going anywhere. The third match looks the best.
Tessa seems to be a regular on AAA cards going forward.
We’re still missing the 06/09 Monterrey card before this one. KDNA has been teasing posting it “any minute” for roughly the last 24 hours.
AAA TV (SUN) 06/16/2019 Poliforuma Zamna, Mérida, Yucatan
Verano de Escandalo, 2019
1) Keyra vs Lady Shani vs Chik Tormenta
2) Faby Apache vs Hijo del Tirantes
3) Mamba & Máximo vs Australian Suicide & Sammy Guevara
4) Laredo Kid & Taya vs Daga & Tessa Blanchard
5) Aerostar, Pagano, Puma King vs Chessman, Killer Kross, Monsther Clown
6) Hijo Del Vikingo, La Parka, Myzteziz Jr. vs La Hiedra, Rey Escorpión, Texano Jr.
7) Fénix & Pentagón Jr. vs Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson © [AAA TAG]
8) Dr. Wagner Jr. & Psycho Clown vs Blue Demon Jr. & Taurus
This is a low effort for a major card. Two matches of any substance and a lot of people in random matches which don’t mean anything. This seemed like the show to move along the Lady Maravilla & Nino Hamburguesa stuff, to do the trios title match between Poder del Norte versus Jinete del Aires, maybe even to follow up on Chik Tormenta title shot. The Young Bucks are going to be of interest to people on the internet – mention them once on Twitter and just watch your replies – but Dorian Roldan just said last week how only about 5% of their audience knows of them. Maybe Rey de Reyes helps that number creep up a little bit. It’s hard to overall see what the draw is here outside of it being an AAA show with a name.
AEW’s Double or Nothing isn’t going to be much affected by AAA (possibly) giving away the finish of their tag title match ahead of time or promoting how they’re going to run it for free on Twitch about three weeks after AEW charges people $50 to see it. The number of people who care about both AEW and AAA are few in number, the people who want to see Double or Nothing are likely watching it for something beyond the match results, and the build to the match on Being the Elite has most people expecting the Bucks to use a new move to win the match. Still, Dorian Roldan did that interview once again talking about how wrestling would be better if everyone worked together and then his promotion did something that subverted a group he’s working with. It’s just rude.
All AAA had to do is leave off the text that says champions and challengers. AAA still hasn’t officially released the card, they probably won’t until Monday. A lot more people will see it then than now. All AAA has to do is scrub that text off. Will they do it? Doesn’t seem like them. Always happy to be proven wrong.
Long term question: if they’re doing the tag title match here, does this mean the Bucks aren’t working TripleMania? (I would expect the Lucha Brothers win the titles and maybe even lose them to someone else to move on.) And what happened to the Taurus/Cody thing?
Putting La Hiedra in trios matches because AAA ran out of male Los Mercenarios matches is not really good for La Hiedra. I guess Kross and Puma might still be? I guess Taya and Tessa will be? I guess none of this matters because it’ll be a different card by the time it happens anyway.
It is sort of amazing that AAA spends so much time on Faby Apache versus Hijo del Tirantes but also sees it as a near opener match on a show with nothing going on. It is very AAA.