CMLL Friday will be on Marca and Facebook and maybe YouTube if I remember it. You will be OK skipping this one.
Really, you’ll be okay skipping this AAA on Twitch stream too – it seems mostly notable because it’s the only one for weeks. AAA is listed as starting a half hour after CMLL starts, though it’ll usually be a little later than that. You can figure out the start time where you’re at here. The card actually seems fine but with gimmicks that only are for the Tijuana crowd and not so essential for everyone else. The opener could be really good depending on who actually ends up in it.
I’m doing this early so I have no real idea what will be on CMLL Puebla or Tuesday beside the title match. No one will be paying attention to AAA TV releases this weekend but that title match was fun.
CMLL (TUE) 04/02/2019Arena México [CMLL, Lucha Central]
1) Fantasy & Último Dragóncito b Pequeño Olímpico & Pierrothito
2) Cancerbero, Hijo del Signo, Raziel b Metatrón, Star Jr., Súper Astro Jr. Rudos took 1/3.
3) Black Panther, Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr. b Kawato San, Nitro, Sagrado Nitro replaced Misterioso. Tecnicos took 2/3.
4) Templario b Rey Cometa [lightning] 9:30. Templario used the Templario Driver for the win.
5) Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero b Guerrero Maya Jr., Titán, Tritón straight falls
6) Ángel de Oro, Niebla Roja, Soberano Jr. b Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón Tecnicos took 1/3, which set up a title match next week.
CMLL promos: Templario talking about his win, NGD & the tecnicos talking about next week’s title match and Los Guerreros Laguneros. Ultimo Guerrero and Euforia say they have no problems after Monday’s match, they were just being professional by fighting hard and ripping Euforia’s mask. The lighning match and the main event are said to be worth checking out.
CMLL (TUE) 04/02/2019Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [CMLL]
1) Amperaje, Cosmos, Micro b Jabalí, Paymon, Relámpago Azul tecnicos took 2/3.
2) Akuma, Espanto Jr., Furia Roja b Oro Jr., Príncipe Diamante, Star Black Rudos took 1/3.
3) Tiger, Universo 2000 Jr., Virus b Fuego, Pegasso, Stigma Rudos took 2/3.
4) Dark Magic, Rey Bucanero, Terrible b Kráneo, Stuka Jr., Volcano Dark Magic replaced Shocker. Rudos took 1/3.
5) Cavernario, Mephisto, Negro Casas DQ Carístico, Dragón Lee, Volador Jr. Rudos took 1/3, Cavernario faking a foul from Caristico to set up a title match next week.
Caristico & Cavernario should make TV this time. Hope Shocker is OK, wherever he is.
CMLL Informa has Negro Casas & Mr. Niebla talking about reviving Peste Negra, Soberano talking about his Saturday match, Raziel & Cancerbero talking about adding Espanto Jr. to their group, and Atlantis & Ultimo Guerrero speaking about the Arena Coliseo Anniversary show.
The WON has an update on the Fenix & Penta situation with CMLL. It appears they’re done with each other. It’s still not clear what happened with them being pulled from Homenaje a Dos Leyendas, just that they asked for a pay raise because they felt they were a draw, got a run-around, and were upset about it. The same note mentions AAA wants to sign them exclusively (where they’d still be allowed to work AEW or anyone AAA is working with) but it hasn’t happened yet. It would be amazing if Fenix & Penta ended up just working for AAA after all that has gone down between them.
The WON also mentions Cain Velasquez is expecting to have his next UFC fight on 09/21 in Arena Ciudad de Mexico, though that’s not locked in. That doesn’t give him much time to train after the TripleMania match; he may have to focus on MMA when he’d be otherwise learning wrestling. That would also explain why he wouldn’t be on any AAA MSG show since that’s probably just a few days before his fight. Elsewhere in the newsletter, it’s mentioned Alberto has at least been considered as being part of Velasquez’s TripleMania match, which will be a tag or trio.
AAA put up a short video on the Young Bucks/Lucha Brothers feud. I’m not sure if this was the video they thought about airing at Rey de Reyes. If it was, I’ve come around on thinking they were right not to bother airing it. It is not terrible, but it like a lot of AAA’s recap videos where it is only useful if you already heard the story and need a refresher. if you were an AAA fan in Puebla who does not follow other wrestling, the video gives the bare minimum idea that these two humans are called the Young Bucks and they have some sort of issue with the Lucha Brothers, but isn’t clear why, or if why they might be important, or even what their names are. (I regret greatly that I didn’t list them in the results as Young Buck I & Young Buck II.) I think the video would’ve helped a little bit but not been a huge difference maker.
With the benefit of hindsight, what could’ve helped AAA was Cody introducing a simple video of the main AEW roster – maybe just something with the ELITE & Jericho, where a hint of the Bucks/Lucha Brothers stuff thrown in as a way of introducing them without giving away that they’re going to show up later that night. But it was what it was instead and everything moves on.
AAA has a press conference tomorrow morning in New York. They’re talking to media about it but they haven’t advertised it. I don’t understand why but I don’t understand a lot. I’m going to be on a plane while it happens. If you’re watching it live, maybe some things to look for
Do they have a firm date?
Do they have a firm agreement with AEW to sent talent to the show?
Do they have a firm US TV partner? (Or, alternatively, are they only promoting Twitch & YouTube?)
Do they talk about any more English language content? (Or, do they expect to almost all draw from Spanish speaking fans?)
Do they have a firm long term plan, or is this just pushed at a one-off?
They’re going to have AAA wrestlers at the press conference to talk, but I suspect the luchadors know just about as much as what is going on as we do. It’s Dorian Roldan and any other suits that are worth paying attention towards.
Lucha Memes & MexaWrestling are doing a 36 wrestler draft, 18 per side, for their Battle of Naucalpan show. It apparently will be two promotions competing in arbitrarily decided matches rather than a tournament. (You can tell this is not a concept I particularly am a fan of. I miss wrestlers having feuds instead of promotions.) They started this draft last night, with Lucha Memes taking Arez and MexaWrestling taking Arkangel Divino. I set up a Google Sheet to keep track of teams, though maybe I won’t be updating it a lot this weekend.
05/19 ChilangaMask 6th Anniversary show in Coliseo Coacalco
Facebook page Lucha Libre Mexicana – Los Reyes del Ring notes CMLL has trademarked the phrase “CMLL La Mejor Lucha Libre Del Mundo.” The trademark database says they asked for this back last October; CMLL is frequently calling themselves the best wrestling in the world on their TV show and they use it in the stream intro, but they’ve been using it for even longer.
This is the last normal news update for a few days. I’m off to New York tomorrow morning, and there until Sunday morning. I may try to squeeze in something about the AAA press conference. Otherwise, things may or may not turn up at all and I’ll catch up later. I’m currently more panicked about the fifty things that can go wrong (how exactly am I getting to WrestleCon) than thinking about enjoying a vacation, but that’s normal. I’ve never been to New York and I was thinking originally how this might be the only time, and AAA changed that. I’m going try to set up CMLL streaming on Friday but that’s not guaranteed.
I’ve got a ticket for WrestleCon Supershow & AIW on Thursday, US versus the World, RevPro, and NXT on Friday, and just the ROH/NJPW show on Saturday. I may not make it to all of them or I may go to more. One thing I learned from last year is sitting in the same building watching wrestling for 8 hours is not for me, and walking across town to go wander around a park is a good idea for a break, so maybe you’ll find me in Central Park. Or maybe you won’t find me at all.
I’ve had a reoccurring fear that LU is finally getting canceled this weekend, like right when the NJPW/ROH show is happening. This is not based in reality but mostly based on not having decided what I want to say enough to have written about it.
The Crash (SAT) 04/13/2019Auditorio de Tijuana, Tijuana, Baja California
1) Terror Azteca & Unicornio vs Dinámico & Tiago
2) Torito Negro, Toto, Xperia vs Animal, Demencia, Silver Star
3) Star Boy, Viento, Zarco vs Craven, Fresero Jr., Mr. Iguana
4) Trauma I & Trauma II vs Carlito & El Mesías and Ángel de Oro & Niebla Roja
5) Titán vs Flamita, Adam Brooks, Rey Horus, ?
6) ?, Bestia 666, Mecha Wolf vs Cuatrero, Forastero (NGD), Sansón
The opener was the only one that hadn’t been announced yet. Top matches look good but I wonder if this is going to be a special enough card coming right after AAA taping.
Lucha Times (SUN) 05/05/2019Arena Jose Sulaiman, Monterrey, Nuevo León
1) Hell Raider vs Black Raider, Black Thunder
2) Azrael & Muerte Extrema vs Greco Baez & Ninja Jr.
3) Baby Xtrem & Lady Flammer vs Látigo & Reyna Obscura
4) Rey Horus vs Arez
5) Espectro & The Tiger vs Golden Boy & Símbolo
6) Penta 0M & Rey Fénix (LU) vs Alberto el Patrón & Hijo De Dos Caras and Galeno Del Mal & Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr.
Alberto is turning up on lineups again. Galeno del Mal in a main event is a statement about what wrestling promoters see as stars (people related to famous people), though I’m not sure if the fans see it the same way.
Latigo wrestling Baby Xtreme is a good idea.
G21 (SUN) 04/21/2019Arena Naucalpan
1) Falcón Jr. & Latino vs Auzer & Neza Kid
2) Demasiado & Diva Salvaje vs Claibus & Tackle
3) Black Dragón, Death Metal, Diablo Jr., Dinamic Black, Hijo del Alebrije, Leo, Oficial AK47, Puma de Oro vs Iracundo, Lepra, Luciferno, Maremoto Jr., Mosco, Perro Callejero, Pólux Jr., Pólux Sr. [Torneo FILL] FILL (Black Terry) vs Gym G21 (Maremoto Sr.)
4) Angeluz Fly, Carta Brava Jr. (LLB), Fantasma de la Ópera vs Gallego, Rocky Santana, Romano García [super libre]
5) Aramis vs El Bandido, Murciélago Plateado Jr.
6) Hijo de LA Park & La Park Jr. vs Rokambole Jr. & Villano V Jr.
7) LA Park vs Diamante Azul (CMLL)
LA Park versus Diamante Azul does not seem like a good idea.