AAA TV (SAT) 03/16/2019 Acropolis, Puebla, Puebla [AAA, Lucha Central, MedioTiempo, MedioTiempo (Main), Notimex, R de Rudo, SuperLuchas, thecubsfan, Voices of Wrestling]
1) Big Mami & Niño Hamburguesa © b Lady Maravilla & Villano III Jr. [AAA MIXED TAG]
9:10. Hamburguesa pinned Villano III Jr. but disagreed with Mami over Maravilla. He carried Maravilla to the back after the match.
2) Lady Shani © b La Hiedra, Keyra, Chik Tormenta [Reina De Reinas, street]
7:52. Shani pinned Hiedra after a powerbomb onto chairs. Faby confronted Shani, Keyra and Hijo del Tirantes after the match. Hijo del Tirantes attacked Faby, Keyra & Tormenta joined in, and Shani & Taya made the save.
3) Carta Brava Jr., Mocho Cota Jr., Tito Santana b Daga, Joe Lider, Taya
12:14. Daga hit Joe Lider with a chair and gave him a DVD thru a ladder to set up the Poder del Norte win. PdN put Lider thru a table after the match. Tormenta & Keyra attacked Taya, with Faby making the save.
4) Averno, Chessman, Súper Fly b Drago, Pagano, Puma King
14:04. Averno beat Drago with a Super Devil’s Wings in a match where Super Fly, Pagano and Chessman all appeared to be injured (but were said to be fine.)
5) Mamba, Máximo, Psycho Clown b Jeff Jarrett, Killer Kross, La Máscara [cage]
19:02. Order of escape: Jeff Jarrett, Psycho Clown (who then went back in), Mamba, Killer Kross, Maximo and Psycho Clown again. La Mascara took Psycho Clown to try to prevent him from escaping, but Maximo threw in a second mask and Psycho put Mascara thru a table.
6) Aerostar b Laredo Kid, Hijo Del Vikingo, Jack Evans, Sammy Guevara, Eclipse Vengador Jr., Taurus, Golden Magic, Myzteziz [Rey de Reyes]
26:24. Earlier, Cody Rhodes appeared to tease Kenny Omega & Chris Jericho coming in, and to offer Hugo a job as the Spanish voice of AEW. He was interrupted by Konnan and eventually speared by Taurus before Psycho Clown led tecnicos out to make the save. Elimintions in this match: Eclipse Vengador Jr. (Lanzelot in a new outfit by Taurus), Myzteziz Jr. (Taurus), Golden Magic (Taurus), Jack Evans (Hijo del Vikingo), Sammy Guevara (Laredo Kid), Taurus (Aerosar), Vikingo (Aerostar), Laredo Kid (Aerostar) leaving Aerostar as the winner.
7) Fénix & Pentagón Jr. b Rey Escorpión & Texano Jr. [AAA TAG]
7:55. Fenix & Pentagon did their spike package piledriver on Texano. Konnan confronted them after the match, the lights went out, and the Young Bucks appeared.
8) Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson b Fénix & Pentagón Jr. © [AAA TAG]
7:08. Impromptu match. Lucha Brothers superkicked Konnan before the match, but he recovered to celebrate with the Jacksons as they won the tag titles. Konnan had been anti-AEW earlier and was pro-AEW here.
This was a good show. It was not as much better than Homenaje a Dos Leyendas as I expected, though I think the best match on this AAA show (the Rey de Reyes match) was better than the best match on CMLL’s show. There was also nothing as bad as the CMLL main event; even the cage match went better than that. The AAA show was also much longer (they’ve got a lot of sponsor breaks right now) and, much to the opposite of CMLL, there’s almost too much stuff going on. Joe Lider getting put thru a table at the same time as Taya & Faby were doing a dramatic handshake was the peak of so many things happened that nothing was sinking in.
The Taya/Faby stuff was so heavy early on that I was thinking either the initial angle after the women’s match didn’t go right and they needed a redo, or that AAA knows Taya isn’t going to be back around for a while so they had to rush thru a bunch of weeks of angles in the course of an hour.
If the Young Bucks showing up unannounced and unexplained to beat the Lucha Brothers leads to a rematch on TripleMania, following a few months of AAA explaining why people should care, then this was an awkward first step that may be worthwhile in the end. History has shown AAA running so many big angles that never get paid off – let’s use MAD here – that it is safer to assume AAA’s main event turned into an angle for AEW’s show and it’ll never be explained again.
Attendance was visibly weaker than last year. It was probably not as bad as it looked at times – the camera shots were directly shooting the lower skyboxes, which aren’t always sold for events like this – but you could see plenty of other sections that looked pretty empty. There wasn’t the Konnan tweet hyping the attendance like usual. I’m not sure announcing the Young Bucks appearing would’ve helped because the reaction to them wasn’t strong, but it definitely couldn’t have hurt. The bigger thing is last year’s show in the same building had a hair match and they probably needed one on this one. If AAA is planning to have La Mascara or Maximo lose their hair, they probably should’ve done it on this show instead where it would’ve meant more than being second or third from the top on TripleMania. Because Psycho Clown was involved, it was the match the crowd saw as the biggest deal by far and it seemed like a missed opportunity that they didn’t go more with it.
AAA (SAT) 03/16/2019 Foro Sol, Iztacalco, Distrito Federal [Record]
1) La Hiedra & Vanilla b Keyra & Starfire
2) Chessman & Tiger Boy b Golden Magic & Lanzelot
3) Dinastía b Mini Psycho Clown ©, La Parkita Negra, La Parkita, Mini Murder Clown, Mini Monster Clown [AAA MINI]
Mini Psycho Clown falls on his 3rd defense. Dinastia is the 7th champion.
4) Hijo del Fantasma, Monsther Clown, Murder Clown b Argenis, Bengala, Máscara de Bronce
AAA (SUN) 03/17/2019 Foro Sol, Iztacalco, Distrito Federal [El Universal, MedioTiempo, Pasala]
1) Niño Hamburguesa & Solaris vs Chicano & La Parka Negra
2) Hijo Del Vikingo & Lady Shani b Faby Apache & Villano III Jr.
3) Myzteziz Jr. & Psycho Clown b Averno & Hijo del Fantasma
4) La Parka b Pagano, Texano Jr. [Vive Latino CHAMP]
There are two shows from the Vive Latino festival. This doesn’t show up much at my radar because it’s a wrestling show at a music festival, I’m mildly surprised we even got video. Still, it is wrestling shows at a heavily attended music festival – a lot of people saw these shows in person this weekend. They reworked the Saturday card to get the people to Rey de Reyes on time, giving us the odd Chessman & Tiger Boy pairing.
Dinastia losing the title way back when seemed to be part of getting him on of the minis division and closing the mini division down. The minis division is back, but my guess is this is still more a bit to do a title change for the sake of doing it rather than for sure sending Dinastia back out of the main division.
Fantasma was wrestling on Saturday, so he didn’t miss Rey de Reyes due to injury. AAA had a role for Jeff Jarrett but not for Hijo del Fantasma. Fantasma has said that all is fine between him and AAA over the Lucha Underground lawsuit. He’s not on the next taping either.
CMLL (SAT) 03/16/2019 Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Acero & Aéreo DQ Pequeño Universo 2000 & Pequeño Violencia
tecnicos took 2/3, the last when Violencia unmasked Acero
2) Kaho Kobayashi, Lluvia, Princesa Sugehit b La Comandante, La Seductora, Tiffany
tecnicas took took 1/3
3) Black Panther, El Audaz, Fuego b Kawato San, Metálico, Misterioso Jr.
tecnicos took 1/3
4) Guerrero Maya Jr. b Luciferno [lightning]
Maya beat Luciferno despite losing his mask on the finish (which seems to be a problem around here)
5) Kráneo, Soberano Jr., Volcano b Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Vangellys
tecnicos took 1/3
6) Gran Guerrero, Templario, Último Guerrero b Diamante Azul, Valiente, Volador Jr.
Rudos took 2/3
Guerrero Maya wants big matches that probably aren’t happening. Not much going on these CMLL shows this weekend, though they throw in a slight tease for a tag title match coming out of the main event.
CMLL (SUN) 03/17/2019 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Príncipe Odín Jr. & Yago b Príncipe Diamante & Star Black
Rudos took 1/3. Star Black’s Arena Mexico debut.
2) Mercurio, Pequeño Olímpico, Pierrothito b Fantasy, Shockercito, Último Dragóncito
rudos took 2/3.
3) Olímpico, Tiger, Universo 2000 Jr. b Blue Panther, Drone, Rey Cometa
Olimpico’s first match here in 10 months (Okumura replacement?). Rudos took 2/3.
4) Hechicero b Flyer [lightning]
5) Atlantis, Atlantis Jr., Stuka Jr. b Dark Magic, Felino, Negro Casas
tecnicos took 2/3, Atlantis Jr. pinning Negro Casas in the third.
6) Diamante Azul, Místico, Niebla Roja b Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
tecnicos took 2/3.
Star Black introduced himself, Dark Magic did an English speaking promo for people who don’t speak English, Olimpico is happy to be back, Hechicero talks about his win, and Negro Casas praises Atlantis Jr.
Garza Jr., via Zona Ruda, has said the upcoming The Crash show on 03/23 is his final one with the promotion. Nothing has been officially announced, but the only thing standing between Garza Jr. and a WWE NXT development deal prior was his shoulder injury and he no longer has a shoulder injury.