CMLL (MON) 02/04/2019 Arena Puebla [CMLL]
1) Astral, Milenium, Sonic b Gemelo Pantera I, Gemelo Pantera II, Guerrero Espacial
tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Arkalis, Pegasso, Rey Samuray b Joker, Siky Ozama, Tyson La Bestia
tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Esfinge, Fuego, Tritón b El Malayo, Felino, Pólvora
tecnicos took 2/3
4) Ángel de Oro, Soberano Jr., Volador Jr. b Stigma, Terrible, Vangellys
Stigma replaced Shocker. Tecnicos took 2/3.
5) La Bestia Del Ring, Místico, Rush DQ Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón[Relevos Increíbles]
NGD took 1/3. Rush unmasked Cuatrero. Challenges followed.
The main event seemed to set up a singles match for next week but it wasn’t especially clear. They could end up just doing the trios rematch instead.
I’ve been thinking a simpler way to preview shows would be to rate them 1 to 5 on how important they are and how good the matches appear to be. Today’s Arena Mexico show is a solid 1 on the important scale – in that it is no important at all – and maybe a 2 in match interest. Audaz getting his first streaming singles match is going to have some interest.
Audaz has only had one other singles match in his time in CMLL so far, a non-televised match against Tiger, who he also faces tonight. Everyone believes Audaz is pretty good and will end up great. I think the general view on Tiger is he’s good as well, but he doesn’t show it in most of the trios matches – either he’s not in a position to do well or he’s not worried about doing well. There’s a lot of people in CMLL who can be thrown in the same bag: good reps based on past work but haven’t been given real chances in years and it’s unclear if CMLL has completely destroyed their ambition to be great or if they’ll still show if given a real opportunity. This is a real opportunity that I’m hoping Tiger makes something out of. This is probably just the start of lots of Audaz matches to come, so I’m kind of more interested in seeing what Tiger does with him in particular.
The rest of the show has solid but disposable matches. Volador, Kraneo, and Stuka face Cavernario, Euforia, and Terrible in the main event. The semi-main is scheduled to be Ephesto, Luciferno, and Vangellys versus Blue Panther, Titan, and Flyer, though nothing has been said about Flyer since his injury on Friday. Flyer hasn’t said anything about on social media, though luchadors tend to be less public about injury news than people north of the border. He did not wrestle on Saturday, he was listed on the card for next Sunday’s show but that isn’t always definitive. Fuego, Maya & Stigma face Los Cancerberos & Sagrado in the tercera. There are a women’s match and a prelim featuring some of the older prelim guys to open. The show starts at 7:30 pm.
Guadalajara has a Munoz versus Guerreros & Mephisto main event. That show looks like 1 for both relevance and quality.
Today is the 35th Anniversary of El Santo’s death, which means many sites have the same articles they run every year or every five years with the year changed. I hadn’t seen a “five most iconic Santo movies” list before, so I’ll link to that one. SuperLuchas has a good article. El Hijo del Santo was scheduled to have his annual press conference at his father’s statue today, but this sentence is still here because it was supposed to happen at noon and it still hasn’t happened quite yet.
Arturo Rivera confirmed he’s staying with Televisa and so will no longer broadcast AAA shows. My impression is Arturo Rivera was well liked by people in but not actually a good announcer. Nostalgia always seems to trump quality in Mexican wrestling fans so he’ll still be missed. Jesus Zuniga has been quiet except for RT-ing some compliments a few days ago.
+LuchaTV put up their interviews from the 01/01 Mexa Wrestling show. The pattern is full shows air right before the next show takes place, so maybe that full show will be one of +Lucha’s streams later this week. They include Keyra talking about signing with AAA. She’s been on AAA spot shows the last month, where before she was only working TV tapings. Star Fire is also working those AAA smaller shows, so she likely also signed with AAA.
Lucha Memes on 03/19 in Coliseo Coacalco (Chairo Kingdom)
- Murcielago Plateado Jr., Hijo de Dr. Polux vs Iron Kid, Alas de Acero vs Prayer, Multifacetico
- Dragon Bane vs Hijo de Canis Lupus
- Super Crazy vs Aeroboy – new
El Grafico has an interview with La Hija de Fuerza Guerrera, who says she and her father agreed she needed to train much more after her first match. She says it was never her dream to be a luchadora (it was her dream to become a mom and she’s done that), but feels it is her destiny.
CMLL (SUN) 02/10/2019 Arena México
1) Angelito & Último Dragóncito vs Mercurio & Pierrothito
2) Magnus, Pegasso, Súper Astro Jr. vs Difunto, Disturbio, Hijo del Signo
3) Marcela, Mystique, Princesa Sugehit vs La Comandante, La Seductora, Tiffany
4) Flyer vs Okumura [lightning]
5) Hijo del Villano III, Rey Bucanero, Villano IV vs Diamante Azul, Soberano Jr., Valiente
6) Carístico, Místico, Volador Jr. vs Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón
Main event should go well. Villanos in the semi-main position even without the Atlantis family around.
AAA TV (SUN) 03/03/2019 Arena Jose Sulaiman, Monterrey, Nuevo León
1) Dinastía, Lady Shani, Starfire vs Faby Apache, Keyra, Villano III Jr.
2) Golden Magic, Myzteziz Jr., Niño Hamburguesa vs ?, Australian Suicide, Jack Evans
3) Mamba, Máximo, Pimpinela Escarlata vs Carta Brava Jr., Mocho Cota Jr., Tito Santana
4) Brian Cage, Hijo Del Vikingo, Laredo Kid vs Hijo del Fantasma, Taurus, Texano Jr.
5) Aerostar, Pagano, Psycho Clown vs Chessman, Monsther Clown, Rey Escorpión
Semimain, opener and the second match look like the best chances for good match, on this show, depending on who’s in the mystery spot. Ultimo Maldito or Black Danger would make sense, but they haven’t made a show since last year (and seem to be scaled back since the Espectro/Kahoz false start.)
There doesn’t appear to be anything happening at these shows. AAA’s returned to the old trend of doing a lot of storylines on one show of a major card cycle and then not much the rest of the way.