CMLL (FRI) 01/18/2019 Arena México [CMLL, Lost in Lucha, Lucha Central, Marca, Record, The Gladiatores, thecubsfan]
1) Akuma, Espanto Jr., Metálico b Arkalis, Astral, Magnus
14:05. Rudos took 1/3. Akuma debuted a new facepaint look.
2) La Jarochita, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit b Amapola, Dalys, Metálica
13:44. Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Esfinge, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa b Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Virus
14:46. Tecnicos took 2/3.
4) Kráneo, Stuka Jr., Volcano DQ Hechicero, Rey Bucanero, Vangellys
10:30. Vangellys replaced Shocker. Tecnicos took 1/2, the last by DQ when Bucanero unmasked Stuka (on a second attempt.)
5) Diamante Azul, Niebla Roja, Valiente b Ephesto, Gilbert el Boricua, Mephisto
14:14. Tecnicos took 2/3.
6) Rush b Euforia
17:10. Rush took 1/3, only losing the second by mask pull DQ. Rush gave Euforia the Rush Driver for the win. Rush attacked Euforia after he was put on a stretcher and until Edgar tackled him.
The main event was pretty good and really the only thing worth watching on that show. The stuff with Bucanero & Stuka was transparently just a way to end a not good match early. Announcers seemed to think the crowd was up but it didn’t feel that way. Gilbert looks as immobile after his knee surgery as before it; I hope he makes his money and gets a hair match payoff but he’s going to be tough to watch.
CMLL, who barely can ever be bothered to promote their TV shows, made a point of saying they’re on MVS (52MX) on Saturdays and Sundays over the air. Maybe this is some response to the AAA/Televisa/Multimedios situation?
For no real great reason, I found the old Rush Knows Many Moves post. It’s still great.
AAA has their first TV taping in 25 days tonight, live from Mexico City on Twitch. Just a reminder: you’ll be getting ads during the show and probably during matches unless you pay the $5/month fee or get it free thru Amazon. There are less ads sometimes if you login, but there probably still will be ads.
AAA left off teasing a Demon/Wagner apuesta match while being careful to avoid saying it was replacing the announced Park/Wagner match. There wasn’t a lot else going on.
- Maximo and La Mascara continue to have a boring feud that may or may not lead to a hair match someday.
- Aerostar & Monsther Clown are feuding, based on Aerostar wanting to be a top guy and Monsther Clown appointing himself gatekepper (and also a top guy?!?)
- Vikingo, Laredo Kid and Myzteziz formed a team and won the trios titles.
- Laredo Kid is owed a title shot – both from asking Fenix for one and from winning Lucha Capital – and will be getting it (sorta)
- Hijo del Fantasma made his own challenge for a title match, but also then lost to Drago and hasn’t really accomplished anything since losing his mask.
- Brian Cage randomly turned tecnico in Juarez and then disappeared the rest for the rest of the year, missing his one scheduled match due to illness.
- Killer Kross continues to beat up people, as he has for two years now, with no purpose or end point in sight.
- Taya returned on the Lucha Capital shows to set up a match with Lady Shani which doesn’t appear to be happening, but appears to have somehow turned her tecnica in the process.
- Lady Maravilla & Star Fire also have challenged Lady Shani
- Faby Apache seemed to turn tecnica herself, but that appears to have now not happened.
- Rey Escorpion & Psycho Clown are either feuding or Rey Escorpion is working his own angles with the most popular guy in the promotion who has nothing to do.
- Joe Lider & Pagano and Miedo Extremo & Ciclope are still occasionally feuding.
Wagner & Deon meet again in the main event tonight. Wagner teams with former rivals La Parka & Psycho Clown against Demon, Fantasma, and Escorpion. Brian Cage forms an incredible team with Pagano, against Pagano’s usual tag partner Joe Lider & Texano. The Maximo/Mascara feud continues with old enemies Taya & Faby on opposite sides and Murder Clown & Chessman fill out the match.
Killer Kross was flown all the way to Mexico City to have a match with Dave the Clown & Parka Negra, excellent use of everyone’s time and jet fuel. The new trios champions Los Jinetes del Aire (VIkingo, Laredo and Myzteziz) have a rematch of the title change against Carta Brava, Mocho Cota, and Tito Santana in what should easily be the best match of the night. The opener should be fun too, with Dinastia, Lady Shani and Nino Hamburguesa taking on Lady Maravilla, Lanzelot and Villano III Jr.
AAA is insistent this show is starting at 8:00 pm. Maybe the stream will, but I still think you’re safe to wait until 8:30-ish to tune in.
La Parka’s Record column mentions the AAA TV deal on Multimedios. AAA’s not really mentioned it much. Perhaps they will tonight. Multimedios has a press release announcing AAA as running 3-5 every Sunday.
The Crash is back from an even longer hiatus, not having run a show since the start of December. Their show is very The Crash randomness: Lucha Bros versus Traumas, Ultimo Dragon versus Rebelion Amarilla, Swoggle for some reason – but there’s no indication they’re going to stream it or make it available later.
In an interview about the new OWE relationship, The Crash says they’re going to run 17 events this year. They mention getting approval from the commission, so that might be 17 events just in Tijuana. The Crash seems to do their best when they run once a month, so I hope it’s not just 17 events in Tijuana.
The second night of Fantastica Mania in Korakeun Hall takes place early Sunday morning. It’s a 3:30 AM start in the Central Time. It’s the only card on a weekend morning, but it’s also the weakest looking of the three. The highlight match should be Hermanos Lee (Dragon Lee & Mistico) taking on Los Guerreros (Ultimo & Gran). The spotlight singles match is Kojima versus Terrible, which Kojima has built up as a big personal goal for him but isn’t that interesting otherwise. The rest is tag matches. There’s somehope with Angel de Oro & Titan versus Cuatrero & Templario, since those same tecnicos did well with a seemingly lesser Okumura & Forastero team. Audaz gets a big chance in the fifth match, teaming with Soberano & Volador against Caristico, Cavernario, and Namajague. It should be a fine enough show, but nothing but that match I’m excited about.
This will be the first of two shows with English commentary. I don’t think this is as much a CMLL thing as NJPW World deciding to do commentary on every show they can. English language announcing for lucha libre show – or even lucha libre matches in other promotions – is rarely that good so I don’t have high expectations. I do know the announcers were reaching out for help and information before the shows. Hopefully, the preparation pays off. I think I’ll probably check it out just to see.
Juventud Guerrera and Fuerza Guerrera are teasing doing a match. It is weird that teasing the possibility of fighting each other suggests an improved relationship but there we are.
El Hijo del Santo’s column today is presented as an anecdote about a young man who he thought highly of and used as a last minute fill in for one of his trips to London. It really is El Hijo del Santo saying he knew Bandido was going to be great before most anyone else. And he’s right.
Lady Flammer says she wanted to be a luchadora from the age of 4. She was a luchador almost from the age of 4.
CMLL (FRI) 01/25/2019 Arena México
1) Eléctrico & Oro Jr. vs El Coyote & Grako
2) Black Panther, Blue Panther Jr., Rey Cometa vs Misterioso Jr., Sagrado, Universo 2000 Jr.
3) Audaz, Flyer, Titán vs Felino, Shocker, Vangellys
4) Soberano Jr. vs Templario [lightning]
5) Atlantis, Carístico, Volador Jr. vs Cavernario, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
6) Diamante Azul, King Phoenix, Penta 0M vs La Bestia Del Ring, Rush, Terrible [Relevos Increíbles]
Fenix & Penta are back for real this time. I feel like Diamante Azul was being a jerk towards them last time and doesn’t make sense as a partner to anyone but CMLL. It’d also be nice if Atlantis got a nice long vacation after Fantastica Mania instead of being thrown into a semimain. Soberano & Templario should be great and should’ve happened in Japan. The tercera will be better when Shocker is inevitably replaced but it’s still not that good.